New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Are you all happy now? (some spoilers disscussed)

ok. so after months of quotes, injokes, and references the inevitable has happened. i have gone out and baught serenity & firefly...

OMG. how did this series bomb?
    Who do i have to shoot over at fox to get them to make more!

How could you introduce me to this knowing that there is no more...

the questions that will never be answered...

i think i'll have to watch them again... and again... and again.

now the hard part does it rate higher than B5 in my eyes... answer in about 3,000,000,000 years
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Are you all happy now?

You know, I have never seen Firefly or Serenity. Are they really that good? I'm kinda picky when it comes to what kinda sci-fi stuff I like. I've yet to find a science fiction novel I like, and besides Star Trek, Star Wars, and B5 there aren't really any tv shows/movies I like that are sci-fi either.
    Tiferet: So, can I be the apprentice Logic Ninja? ;D &&&&The Logic Ninja: Yes! You may be my apprentice, and together... we will SHOW THEM ALL! MWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... ahem.&&&&Thanks to Sneak for the wonderful avatar

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

They are that good. Even better than Babylon 5(imo). Better than Star Wars. Better than any Sci-Fi I have ever seen. Except for the Movie, anyway. It was good, but not as good as the TV show. The story just needs to be told in series format.
    Avatar by Sneak - The Midnight Son by Ceika
    No more a lone wolf, The Midnight Son rides again.
    Give thanks ye mortals, for he rides on the wings of an angel.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiferet
    You know, I have never seen Firefly or Serenity. Are they really that good? I'm kinda picky when it comes to what kinda sci-fi stuff I like. I've yet to find a science fiction novel I like, and besides Star Trek, Star Wars, and B5 there aren't really any tv shows/movies I like that are sci-fi either.
    Firefly is worth a look. Netflix it. I'm equally picky about m sci-fi and I ended up being hooked on Firefly.

It is a space western, and focuses more on characters than on technology. When I started disc 1, I didn't have high expectations, but I quickly bumped the entire series up to the top of the queue and am awaiting Serenity from Netflix now.

As for how it died? Fox killed it, pure and simple. They ran shows out of order, pre-empted episodes w/o warning, ran horrible slots, and so forth. The series creator has stated that he'd love to resume work on Firefly if someone would buy it from Fox but he'll never work with Fox again. (Wiki firefly for more).

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf71
    They are that good. Even better than Babylon 5(imo). Better than Star Wars. Better than any Sci-Fi I have ever seen. Except for the Movie, anyway. It was good, but not as good as the TV show. The story just needs to be told in series format.
    I've only seen Serenity; not the series. But I can't imagine it being better than Babylon 5!

I'll have to rent it sometime...

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by TinSoldier
    I've only seen Serenity; not the series. But I can't imagine it being better than Babylon 5!

I'll have to rent it sometime...
    I'm not sure I'd agree with Firefly > Bab5 - but its really not fair to make a comparison. Bab 5 was a complete 5 year series planned out in advance and developed all the way through to completion.

Bab5 is also pure sci-fi. Firefly is Space-Western. Related genres but not QUITE the same. Firefly has no aliens, no wonder-tech, etc.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Tiferet
    Well, if the trend continues, we'll have another one of these threads started in a month or two about you having watched it.

Really, if you can't afford it (currently ~$35 on amazon), borrow it from a friend (I'm sure one of them has a copy) or rent it. Block off about 3 hours and then see if you need to block off anymore . . . I think I watched it all in one 24hour period.

But hey, don't take my word for how good it is. (Warning, spoilers may ensue) And that's just the most recent one. I think there are at least 5 other threads of a similar vien burried in the Friendly Banter backyard.
    Let the Yaggle Gakkle-ing begin.
    Beware! Beware!
    All children of the 'ground

8. - Top - End - #8

Netflix is your friend if money is tight and you love movies. The $15 a month plan will let you get 8-10 DVD's a month, 2 at a time. More if you're close enough to a distribution center. We have the 3/month plan and if we send a dvd back on MOnday we have the next one on Wednesday.

A real money saver and its right to your mailbox. Netflix >>> Renting :)

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Greebo
    I'm not sure I'd agree with Firefly > Bab5 - but its really not fair to make a comparison. Bab 5 was a complete 5 year series planned out in advance and developed all the way through to completion.

Bab5 is also pure sci-fi. Firefly is Space-Western. Related genres but not QUITE the same. Firefly has no aliens, no wonder-tech, etc.
    That's why I added the IMO. I never really liked Babylon 5 that much, so to me, Firefly is the better show. To Sci-Fi geeks, B5 may be better.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Halfling in the Playground

I loved them both.

The same way I can love both a Porterhouse and a Ribeye. Same basic stuff (sci-fi), but a different cut and a different texture & flavor.

As to why Firefly tanked---there just wasn't enough of a following to make the all important ratings/ad revenue level required to keep the suits happy.

Curse the suits, anyway...
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans"-J. Lennon

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

The one thing I have to say about Firefly: many people have not watched it...but every single person I have ever met who has watched it has loved it. And I am not exaggerating.

Oh yeah. And if you don't want to buy the boxed set, you can buy the episodes on iTunes for $2.00 apiece. I watched 'em on my iPod.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry about starting a new thread WampaX i didn't feel up for some threadromancy

important question: how much do i need to buy the Sci-Fi channel? and get them to commision another series.

i kept half the house laughing at some af the scenes

As for Vs B5... well B5 has a very special place in my heart, it was the first Sci-Fi that didn't seem like the good guy's always win i especially liked watching Londo sink deeper into the abyss only to realise how far he had fallen...

as for being picky with my Sci-Fi.... well lets just say Enterprise isn't part of the star trek family... and i'll kill anyone who say's otherwise.

my only gripe is i now need to learn japaneese to translate some peices... it can't be as hard as klingon was tho.

sleep or another episode... again.

Edit: i REALLY want to use River's quote in my personal text... but someone else is and i don't want to be a copycat... no offence sneak (you're just a cat no copy)
    Spoiler
    Show

The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

13. - Top - End - #13

I love this board. I really do. It's gotten so many people hooked on firefly, me included.

And what River quote are you wanting to use? There are several that are pretty good.
    Founding member of the Kaylee club. If your relationship with your batteries has been going on for almost a year now, you can join too! Strawberries and Big City Doctors for all!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

"oh and i can kill you with my brain" (ish. i'll get the direct quote later... when it's not 01:27... do you think i can fit another episode in before i collapse?)

it kinda' goes well with the dark archon motif

and lilly i FIANLLY get both your avi and your text.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy
    "oh and i can kill you with my brain" (ish. i'll get the direct quote later... when it's not 01:27... do you think i can fit another episode in before i collapse?)
    someone around here is using that for their avvy text. Can't think of the name, but they have a Blue (psionic goblin) avatar
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oh, and it's Chinese, not Japanese. Important distinction.
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie

Thanks to Abardam for the dervish avatar!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Ryshan Ynrith
    And more importantly Mandarin(sp?) Chinese. Apparantly there's more than one type (forget the other name, but Mandarin is the main one)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte the Titleless
    someone around here is using that for their avvy text. Can't think of the name, but they have a Blue (psionic goblin) avatar
    that's why i think using it would make me look like a copycat... and i've seen in in someone's sig too

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Ryshan Ynrith
    only to the chinese/japanese!

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19

The other is Cantonese.

Firefly... simply amazing. My room mates and I watched it pretty much all in one sitting... as close as you can during finals week... oops. I can watch it over and over and I'm always amazed at how awesome it is.

Wash: "Psychic, though? That sounds like something out of science fiction."
    Zoe: "We live in a space ship, dear."

-Robbie

"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." A. A. Milne

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy
    only to the chinese/japanese!
    Not true. Chinese is tonal, and Japanese is not. They're very different languages, they just look sort of similar.

And they only look the same to the uneducated.

But Firefly: Haven't seen it, but I want to. My sister has seen and loved it, and she is a pretty good judge of that kind of stuff.
    Hoseki is a woman with a plan.
    Doll Hoseki by Sneak:

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

I have a completely serious question: has anyone ever met someone who HAS watched Firefly AND didn't like it?

I haven't.

22. - Top - End - #22

I haven't either.

And it really is -that- good.

I was outzombied by the baby!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Amotis View Post
    Alarra ate all my awesome and now she's always acknowledged as awe-inspiring awesome. Alliteration aside, Alarra is awesome.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Sneak
    I have a completely serious question: has anyone ever met someone who HAS watched Firefly AND didn't like it?

I haven't.
    Yes. We tried to get my best friend to watch it, and she just didn't like it. I don't know how much of it she actually saw, but I got the impression it wasn't much.
    Founding member of the Kaylee club. If your relationship with your batteries has been going on for almost a year now, you can join too! Strawberries and Big City Doctors for all!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly

Yes. We tried to get my best friend to watch it, and she just didn't like it. I don't know how much of it she actually saw, but I got the impression it wasn't much.
    I didn't quite get the series from just a few scenes but a friend played 2 scenes specifically for me to get me to want to watch the series: The standoff with Simon and the agent that Mal interrupts by shooting the guy dead and the scene of Mal and Wash being tortured yet having a discussion about Zoe where Mal agrees to sleep with Zoe 'cause somehow that'll make Wash feel better. Well, I had to borrow the series at that point and that led to buying the movie. After I finish my move, I'll be buying the series for myself because I've only seen each episode once [The horror. The horror. :o ]

From Lilly's sig space:
    "What are YOU doing July 7th?"

Sadly not seeing this film. Brother's wedding the next day and all. It'll have to wait until the week after. :'(
    "Time and space exist not. There was no past, and there shall be no future. NOW is all. All things that ever were, are, or ever will be, transpire now. Man is forever at the center of what we call time and space. I have gone into yesterday and tomorrow and both were as real as today." R E Howard

25. - Top - End - #25

I haven't.
    My parents really liked it till they realized what Inara does for a living. Then they decided that it wasn't really for them. Aside from that, everyone I've introduced to it has loved it.

Edit. July 7? I'll be driving back from Coos Bay, OR after visiting my new(and only) niece. I'll see it on the 8th though.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

I saw some of it. It was sort of mediocre sci-fi. Then I watched Serenity. I kept waiting for it to make sense and get better, but instead it just ended. :(

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Lilly i LOVE your new sig...

buffet table. he he he.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

I havent watched it either but I guess according to this I should...

Also on July 7th I'll be at the AnimeThon!

29. - Top - End - #29

I've seen the movie and I loved it. The story was awesome, but what really had me sold was the fight scenes. There are a whole bunch of movies that try to impress you with the fastest scenes they can handle (Matrix comes to mind) but Serenity had some well-paced fights that moved at a reasonable speed. It was fun to watch. And the assassin guy was great. And the scene at the beginning where River has the dream and the teacher just stabs her in the forehead. And... well the whole movie was awesome. Haven't seen Firefly yet, though.
    a secret to everybody.

30. - Top - End - #30

I haven't.
    My wife thinks its eye candy, but she's never watched an episode all the way through.

I'm working on her...