New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Default Science of Superman - Discovery Channel

Well this is neat special. Loads of clips from the new movie and past shows, movies and cartoons. It tries to explain how Superman could actually function using real world physics, and pretty hefty dose of pseudo-science. Very cool.

One of the keys about Krypton's explosion is that it has a massively dense core made of elements like uranium and plutonium. So it exploded because of a fission reaction.

And he can fly because Supes can produce gravitons. This is of course total quantum physics so it up in the air. Eh, eh. ;D

Whats also neat is all of Superman's flight in the new film is based on Brandon Routh swimming or gliding underwater.

Edit (this will be the first of many): I've official decided the coolest thing that I've seen so far for Superman Returns is him walking up to a thug firing a chaingun at him and bullets just bouncing off Supe's chest. The the thug draws a pistol and shoots him point blank in the eye and you see the bullet just crumple and Supe's doesn't even blink as he watches the bullet hit the ground and just sort of ***** his head with that knowing look.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Science of Superman - Discovery Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Beleriphon
    Well this is neat special. Loads of clips from the new movie and past shows, movies and cartoons. It tries to explain how Superman could actually function using real world physics, and pretty hefty dose of pseudo-science. Very cool.

One of the keys about Krypton's explosion is that it has a massively dense core made of elements like uranium and plutonium. So it exploded because of a fission reaction.

And he can fly because Supes can produce gravitons. This is of course total quantum physics so it up in the air. Eh, eh. ;D

Whats also neat is all of Superman's flight in the new film is based on Brandon Routh swimming or gliding underwater.

Edit (this will be the first of many): I've official decided the coolest thing that I've seen so far for Superman Returns is him walking up to a thug firing a chaingun at him and bullets just bouncing off Supe's chest. The the thug draws a pistol and shoots him point blank in the eye and you see the bullet just crumple and Supe's doesn't even blink as he watches the bullet hit the ground and just sort of ***** his head with that knowing look.

Hey! I invented the graviton explanation years ago! Glad to see that it's hit the mainstream finally!
    Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

The irony is that my favorite colors are black and red, and I almost always play chaotic good characters.

3. - Top - End - #3

A comic in which they discuss the science of this http://archive.gamespy.com/comics/no...ffn/ffn164.htm

(also a good nerdy D&D themed comic to read but only updates once a week :( )
    Ceikatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ego Slayer
    Homeschoolers pwn
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibar
    Hey, whatja know.
    Homeschoolers do pwn.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CelestialStick

Hey! I invented the graviton explanation years ago! Glad to see that it's hit the mainstream finally!

I don't think its main stream yet, but the show covered just about everything he does. The heat vision is just expending stored energy through his eyes which form a lens, like a laser. Hisi imperviousness is akin to an insects shell, which I felt was odd. At any rate its really neat when they try to explain what he does in terms of real science.

Whats also cool is the interview pieces with Bryan Singer where he explains some of his logic for the new movie. Like Supes breaking the wing off the airliner. Its an accident after he tries to stop its flat spin first.

At any rate its a great look at the new movie, and a fun thought experiment.

5. - Top - End - #5

Cool! I wish I could have seen that. I also really like the part I quoted here, since I've always figured that flying must feel to birds really similarly to how swimming feels to us.
    HUMANS....... ARE....... SUPERIORRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But she was naked! And all... articulate!!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

i can bet the work vibrate and molecules were used over 500000000000000 times...like in the comics

so what about the eye balls? does he have an extra protective lense?

i like the superhard chiton explanation for his unbreakability...that's a keeper

7. - Top - End - #7
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

When was this aired?

8. - Top - End - #8

Planetar

I don't think its main stream yet, but the show covered just about everything he does. The heat vision is just expending stored energy through his eyes which form a lens, like a laser. Hisi imperviousness is akin to an insects shell, which I felt was odd. At any rate its really neat when they try to explain what he does in terms of real science.

Whats also cool is the interview pieces with Bryan Singer where he explains some of his logic for the new movie. Like Supes breaking the wing off the airliner. Its an accident after he tries to stop its flat spin first.

At any rate its a great look at the new movie, and a fun thought experiment.
    I too am sorry that I missed that.

Did you know that in the first episode of The Adventures of Superman they put George Reeve on a wire to make him appear to fly, and then the wire broke? He was very angry about that so he refused to ever go on a wire again--thus the trademark "landing" jump at the end of any scene with him flying: he was actually just jumping up and they filmed him coming back down as though he were landing.

Edit: Look Ma, no hands, er, wires!

I checked Yahoo tv and didn't find a repeat airing of the Science of Superman. Of course if it had a different name...

Edit 2: I checked again under "Superman" and found nothing on Discovery. Several other networks, however, have programs about the new movie.

I'm going to see the show Wednesday at 6:30 P.M. Is anyone else going soon?

The irony is that my favorite colors are black and red, and I almost always play chaotic good characters.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Hmm I liked the limited force field that I read about somewhere it's connected his other qualities but alas if they want to say that a super hard invisible chitinous layer above his skin exists and that causes a bullet to act the way it does when it hits him then I must mention that this makes no sense the bullet would not crumple before bouncing off oh and also even if the bullet itself poses no threat it would still exert force on him after all if we had such a layer which is thin enough to notbe detected we would get bruised by the bullet so perhaps his whole skin is like that and is also otherwise exactlly alike to a humans skin hmm and it also in the case of his eyes is not only usable for sight but also have a convinient lense to focus it

http://www.firstscience.com/site/articles/superman.asp
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/hottopi...superman.shtml
    http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/archi...06/20/513.aspx
    http://superherohype.com/forums/arch.../t-144270.html
    http://www.starnet-database.com/dbas.../superman.html
    http://www.pjfarmer.com/secret/aliens/kryptonians.htm
    some interesting links
    Shea stopped short as he saw Allanon\'s dark features tighten and grow black with anger, the great brows knitting over sudden pinpoints of light in the deep shadows that hid his eyes. the tall man seemed to be fighting to contain some terrible fury within.&&&&Member of El Clano

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

I too am sorry that I missed that.
    Edit 2: I checked again under "Superman" and found nothing on Discovery. Several other networks, however, have programs about the new movie.

I'm going to see the show Wednesday at 6:30 P.M. Is anyone else going soon?
    It was on the Canadian version of Discovery, so I couldn't say. It also takes the name from a book of the same name, and topic.

The other suggestion as to his appearent imperviousness has to do with the graviton theory of flight. His body automatically exudes the gravitons in such a way as to redirect objects, or allow them, at a reflexive level.

As for the movie, deinately going to see it on Wednesday. I already have tickets for the 6:50pm local showing. I don't know how but we appearently have a showing at 10pm on the 27th as well, a fully day before it opens otherwise.

11. - Top - End - #11

saw a comercial for it. on the science chanel

12. - Top - End - #12

Planetar

It was on the Canadian version of Discovery, so I couldn't say. It also takes the name from a book of the same name, and topic.

The other suggestion as to his appearent imperviousness has to do with the graviton theory of flight. His body automatically exudes the gravitons in such a way as to redirect objects, or allow them, at a reflexive level.

As for the movie, deinately going to see it on Wednesday. I already have tickets for the 6:50pm local showing. I don't know how but we appearently have a showing at 10pm on the 27th as well, a fully day before it opens otherwise.
    O! Canada! Well that explains it.

O Canada
    Glorious and free!
    O Canada we stand on guard for thee!

Yes, we have a 10 PM show (right now actually!) and a midnight show but I couldn't get a buddy of mine to go with so I'm waiting til tomorrow at 6:30. He has to work a real job and the last time we went to see a midnight movie he had a serious problem staying awake at work the next day.

Too bad that Allanon fellow can't use punctuation. Of course he is just a pale imitation of Gandalf. :D

13. - Top - End - #13

The complaint I have about real world physics from the movie isn't Superman. It's Lois.

She gets hurled around in a plane, doesn't get a bruise, doesn't go unconscious, nearly drowns a few times, and gets attacked by a thug. Is she the woman of steel or something!?

P.S. I saw an early screening of it at 5 PM. It is over 2 and a half hours long.
    Groom to the Haberdasher's Daughter.

Freddy Krueger by Ink, Flabbicus by Lord Herman, Rilik by Ceika.

14. - Top - End - #14

O! Canada! Well that explains it.

O Canada
    Glorious and free!
    O Canada we stand on guard for thee!
    What, do you watch hockey too?

15. - Top - End - #15

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by TinSoldier
    What, do you watch hockey too?
    As I kid growing up in Chicago in the heyday of the Blackhawks I did actually watch some hockey, but actually my knowing some of the lyrics to O Canada comes more from belonging to Key Club in high school. Our district of Key Club included part of Canada, who in deference to our Canadian members (of whom I never met a single one) we sang "O Canada" at the Key Club conventions. Of couse in those days Canadians still liked the United States, as our nuclear umbrella helped protect them from the Soviet Union. But, what have you done for me lately, right? ;)

Here come the Hawk!
    The mighty...Blackhawks!

Edit: In those days most of the best hockey players were Canadians. Sadly, they were all pretty toothless too. :D

16. - Top - End - #16

Default OT -- Hockey

As I kid growing up in Chicago in the heyday of the Blackhawks I did actually watch some hockey, but actually my knowing some of the lyrics to O Canada comes more from belonging to Key Club in high school. Our district of Key Club included part of Canada, who in deference to our Canadian members (of whom I never met a single one) we sang "O Canada" at the Key Club conventions. Of couse in those days Canadians still liked the United States, as our nuclear umbrella helped protect them from the Soviet Union. But, what have you done for me lately, right? ;)

Here come the Hawk!
    The mighty...Blackhawks!

Edit: In those days most of the best hockey players were Canadians. Sadly, they were all pretty toothless too. :D
    That's so cool! By the way, most of the best hockey players are still from Canada. Or Slovakia.

I watch the Portland Winterhawks, which are affiliated (however loosely) with the Chicago Blackhawks. They have the same team symbol. They say "Heeeeere come the Hawks!" at the beginning of games. We go to 5-6 games a year.

They're in the US Division of the WHL (Western Hockey League) which is part of the CHL (Canadian Hockey League). It's major-junior hockey. A lot of the players go on to NHL careers and we follow the teams that they go to.

Anyway, we now return you to your regularly scheduled Discovery Channel Superman talk...

17. - Top - End - #17

Planetar

Default Re: OT -- Hockey

Quote Originally Posted by TinSoldier
    That's so cool! By the way, most of the best hockey players are still from Canada. Or Slovakia.

I watch the Portland Winterhawks, which are affiliated (however loosely) with the Chicago Blackhawks. They have the same team symbol. They say "Heeeeere come the Hawks!" at the beginning of games. We go to 5-6 games a year.

They're in the US Division of the WHL (Western Hockey League) which is part of the CHL (Canadian Hockey League). It's major-junior hockey. A lot of the players go on to NHL careers and we follow the teams that they go to.

Anyway, we now return you to your regularly scheduled Discovery Channel Superman talk...
    Is that a feeder team for the Blackhawks?

So how did Slovakia get good at hockey? ;D

18. - Top - End - #18

Default Re: OT -- Hockey

Is that a feeder team for the Blackhawks?
    Not really a feeder team since the players can be drafted anywhere. If they don't go directly into the NHL there's always the AHL.

These guys are just kids -- 16-20 years old. It's similar to college hockey but it's not college.

So how did Slovakia get good at hockey? ;D
    Not a clue.

(Okay -- don't want to continue off-topic :-[)

19. - Top - End - #19

wow this is releavent

almost enough to justify a Superman Vs NHL thread

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ing
    wow this is releavent

Superman would win.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

I thought superman could only leap tall buildings in a single bound, besides, being superman aint all that cool, hard to find anywhere to eat.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/06/28

22. - Top - End - #22

haha that's me at Redlobster

everyone acts so weierd when u tell them your allergic

they're like "you are ....Why?
    "because they cause me to uh die?"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zzarchov
    I thought superman could only leap tall buildings in a single bound, besides, being superman aint all that cool, hard to find anywhere to eat.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/06/28
    He used to be able to just jump really, really far. I think it was 1/8 of a mile to start with. As things went along he could actually fly.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Anyone very familiar with Marvel Comics could have told you the graviton theory decades ago. When the Squadron Supreme (Marvel's homage/ripoff of the JLA) appeared, Hyperion (aka not-Superman)'s flight was explained through the use of gravitons. So is Quasar's.

Sorry dude. Nothing new there. As far as pseudoscience is concerned, Marvel usually trumps DC.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

He used to be able to just jump really, really far. I think it was 1/8 of a mile to start with. As things went along he could actually fly.
    This is absolutely true, Superman was originally able to leap 1/8 of a mile and could press between two and six tons. As he grew in popularity, his powers were jacked up to ridiculous levels. He was even graced with superspeed reading and supergenius abilities, which is funny since now Batman is widely regarded as the great thinker and strategist of the JLA.

In fact my favorite DC lettercol of all time (circa mid 70s) deals with a reader writing in to ask who is smarter, Superman or Batman, and the editor at the time responding that Superman wins, hands down. This was shown to said editor a few years ago and he laughed and said that while his answer probably reflected accurately at the continuity at the time, in the current continuity there is no contest.

26. - Top - End - #26

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Ing
    wow this is releavent

Heh! Even CelestialStick could beat the NHL, because well, they have just ordinary sticks. ;)

If they don't have time to prepare, Superman beats the NHL without breaking a sweat. If they do have time to prepare, Superman beats the NHL without breaking a sweat. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Banzai

Anyone very familiar with Marvel Comics could have told you the graviton theory decades ago. When the Squadron Supreme (Marvel's homage/ripoff of the JLA) appeared, Hyperion (aka not-Superman)'s flight was explained through the use of gravitons. So is Quasar's.

Sorry dude. Nothing new there. As far as pseudoscience is concerned, Marvel usually trumps DC.
    As I recall, I created the graviton theory of Superman's flight back in the 1980s when Star Trek: The Next Generation talked about gravitons. As far as I can recall at the moment, that's when I first learned about gravitons. Can you verify that Marvel comics used gravitons as an explanation for the superpower of flight prior to the 1980s? Even if you can, of course, that doesn't change the fact that I'd never heard of the theory before I created it myself, nor that I predated DC's use of the theory by two decades, but it would be nice to find out when Marvel first started using them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Banzai

This is absolutely true, Superman was originally able to leap 1/8 of a mile and could press between two and six tons. As he grew in popularity, his powers were jacked up to ridiculous levels. He was even graced with superspeed reading and supergenius abilities, which is funny since now Batman is widely regarded as the great thinker and strategist of the JLA.

In fact my favorite DC lettercol of all time (circa mid 70s) deals with a reader writing in to ask who is smarter, Superman or Batman, and the editor at the time responding that Superman wins, hands down. This was shown to said editor a few years ago and he laughed and said that while his answer probably reflected accurately at the continuity at the time, in the current continuity there is no contest.
    What is your source for 2-6 tons and 1/8 of a mile?

Yes, the Superman of my youth wasn't any less intelligent than Batman (though I don't specifically remember him being any smarter in the 1960s or 1970s), which probably helps explain some of the dichotomy in views of Superman and Batman held by older fans (like me) and young fans on the boards.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

What is your source for 2-6 tons and 1/8 of a mile?

Yes, the Superman of my youth wasn't any less intelligent than Batman (though I don't specifically remember him being any smarter in the 1960s or 1970s), which probably helps explain some of the dichotomy in views of Superman and Batman held by older fans (like me) and young fans on the boards.
    Action Comics circa 1936 or so. So unless you're rapidly approching your mid-70s, or early 80's, CS I don't think you'll recall this one. The show I was talking about actually has the cover and some of the inside pages that boldly exclaim "Superman's powers explained by Science!". It was originally that Kryton's gravity was massively higher than Earth's and thus Supes body was physically designed to just be able to handle stresses up to 1000 times higher then those found on Earth.

As for whose smarter I think that Batman isn't necessarily smarter, Batman however is a whole lot better at using his brains to his advantage. Superman doesn't need to avoid getting hit with bullets, let alone freight trains, unlike a certain fly rodent inspired crime fighter.

28. - Top - End - #28

Planetar

Action Comics circa 1936 or so. So unless you're rapidly approching your mid-70s, or early 80's, CS I don't think you'll recall this one. The show I was talking about actually has the cover and some of the inside pages that boldly exclaim "Superman's powers explained by Science!". It was originally that Kryton's gravity was massively higher than Earth's and thus Supes body was physically designed to just be able to handle stresses up to 1000 times higher then those found on Earth.

As for whose smarter I think that Batman isn't necessarily smarter, Batman however is a whole lot better at using his brains to his advantage. Superman doesn't need to avoid getting hit with bullets, let alone freight trains, unlike a certain fly rodent inspired crime fighter.
    Superman didn't appear until 1939 so there's nothing in 1936 that says these things. Are you claiming that the show on Canadian Discovery Channel specifically mentioned 2-6 tons and 1/8th of a mile? Also, where did you get that "stresses up to 1000 times higher than those found on earth?"

The story of Krypton having higher gravity and thus giving Superman greater density, strength, etc. existed at least though the first Chris Reeve Superman movie. I think that they've gotten rid of that explanation in the current comic book continuity, but I still think of him as being being phsyically denser by several orders of magnitude.

Where did you get that avatar?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Superman didn't appear until 1939 so there's nothing in 1936 that says these things. Are you claiming that the show on Canadian Discovery Channel specifically mentioned 2-6 tons and 1/8th of a mile? Also, where did you get that "stresses up to 1000 times higher than those found on earth?"
    Correction noted, but his first appearance was Action Comics June 1938. It was a very early comic, at best from the late 40s. The 1000 times great is from the show itself, its based on the fact that for him to do what he can do with the gravity theory it has to be at last 1000 times greater than Earth's.

The story of Krypton having higher gravity and thus giving Superman greater density, strength, etc. existed at least though the first Chris Reeve Superman movie. I think that they've gotten rid of that explanation in the current comic book continuity, but I still think of him as being being phsyically denser by several orders of magnitude.
    It makes sense.

Where did you get that avatar?
    Made it, I have a Batman one too, its not as nice though.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Firbolg in the Playground

This wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powers%...nt_of_Superman explains a lot of the random changes in Superman's powers over the years. Basically he gets the standard DC hack around every decade.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.