New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Doctor who [possible spoilers]

Well, I couldn't spot the last Dr. who thread so I decided to post a new one.

Wow. that was, in my opinion, the best episode so far in the new series.

Im practicly speechless :-X
    Save vs GM powered thunderbolt!

Kattira, Anja Khemari and Elderguard Tyrius. Thanks to The Stoney One for Avvies!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Doctor who [possible spoilers]

ermmm, wrong section?
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte the Titleless
    ermmm, wrong section?
    Red Watcher: So it would seem.

Mod powers, activate! Form of: Thread Mover!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Wait...what? I thought the ending to season 1 was great (that's as far as the US has gotten).

How far behind are we ???

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jacksquat3
    Wait...what? I thought the ending to season 1 was great (that's as far as the US has gotten).

How far behind are we ???
    I'm not sure how far behind you are in comparison to how far behind we are with US shows, but since the end of Series (not season) 1 we've had:

- an untitled 7 minute special for "Children in Need" (an annual charity telethon - I imagine it'll turn up as a DVD extra at some point)

- "The Christmas Invasion" (special, broadcast on Christmas Day)

- and we're currently more than halfway through Series 2 - we'e just seen the 9th (of 13) episodes of Series 2.

And yes, episodes 8 and 9 (two-parter) were very good.
    I've searched "I shall roam the Earth and my hunger shall know no bounds" but I keep getting redirected to Weight Watchers"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The world cup was boring the hell out of me today, so for want of anything better to do I flicked over to BBC3. I've not even had TV for the last nine months since I've been up at uni sans licence, but today I caught the conclusion of what appeared to be a two-parter about Satan and some black hole. Thoroughly enjoyed it, and am now actually a bit ashamed at myself for not having managed to catch a lot more of the series.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

ermmm, wrong section?

:-[ where did I put it? I must have clicked the wrong link >.<

But yeah, now I can get my thoughts together I think that although a few of the doctor who episodes were kinda... naff, the two parters are always good, especially this last one and also the world war two one.

Kattira, Anja Khemari and Elderguard Tyrius. Thanks to The Stoney One for Avvies!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

... if we're talking about the two-parter with black-hole, mind flayers and the devil then yes - absolutely wow - it just kept moving without pause. No wasted dialogue or action.

Yes it wasn't an original story, there were cliches a plenty but it was so well crafted and assembled you couldn't complain.

I was kinda disappointed by the cybermen two-parter but this one made up for everything.

9. - Top - End - #9

I'm honestly consistently thrilled with every new episode. Maybe it's just being easily amused, but.. who cares?
    Runs on Earl Grey. Refuels daily at 4.&&\"What Haley Said\" Official Compilation-http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=comics;action=display;num=1148000972 &&&&I have \"authorisation\" authorisation (formerly \"\'authorisation\' authorization\") now!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Gah...I want new Dr. Who, but we've only had the 1st season so far, up 'till that one with the darlecks. Cool things they are.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Bor the Barbarian Monk View Post
    Dis...As far as I can tell, you are a cool frood who knows where his towel is.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Run, little Aussie artist man. Your doom will be swift and silent -
    - like the owl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    *Hands Dizzy his SwoongunTM*
    Which is a hairdrier full of ether.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulion View Post
    ...Dispozition...you rock so hard I feel like throwing you my underwear in appreciation just so you can know how much that rocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emlyn View Post
    Dis, I love you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    Your quotes rawk.

11. - Top - End - #11

You could easily get them for viewing fairly quickly over the internet in one of various ways.. Just saying.
    Runs on Earl Grey. Refuels daily at 4.&&\"What Haley Said\" Official Compilation-http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=comics;action=display;num=1148000972 &&&&I have \"authorisation\" authorisation (formerly \"\'authorisation\' authorization\") now!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

I only have dail-up. No good for viewing anything but internet sites and movies under 1mb.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    - like the owl.
    ...Dispozition...you rock so hard I feel like throwing you my underwear in appreciation just so you can know how much that rocks.
    Dis, I love you.
    Your quotes rawk.

13. - Top - End - #13

Awww.. Too bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wings
    Gah...I want new Dr. Who, but we've only had the 1st season so far, up 'till that one with the darlecks. Cool things they are.
    By the way, you are kidding about "darlecks", right? Only there was this one episode, WAYYY back in the day, with a dude called "Omega", only my mom and I spent the whole episode/plot-arc (for there was a time when they were not the same!) trying to figure out who this "Homagirr" was supposed to be.
    --
    I just rewatched "New Earth" - Spoiler time, but.. what do you think the Face of Boe needs to say?

I mean, it's TEXTBOOK enigmatic!
    :p

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Wait a second. I'm not sure I got the whole gist of that comment. I'm pretty tired right now. Any chance of putting it all into one or two syllable, easy to understand words? and sorry about the mis-spelling of Daleks. I'm tired as I pointed out before.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    - like the owl.
    Dis, I love you.
    Your quotes rawk.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

The CGI on the beast was AMAZING! It looked real. And the plot was good as well. My family had a good laugh during 'The Impossible Planet'..

TV: "A black hole is so dense that it sucks in everything around it, not even Light, Space or Time."

Me: "What, like Rose?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Chumleigh View Post
    Oh.
    Oh, my.
    You just earned seventeen cool points by my reckoning. And I'm so sigging that.
    Cheers,
    --Count Chumleigh

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Wings
    Wait a second. I'm not sure I got the whole gist of that comment. I'm pretty tired right now. Any chance of putting it all into one or two syllable, easy to understand words? and sorry about the mis-spelling of Daleks. I'm tired as I pointed out before.
    No, what I meant was that sometimes the accents.. especially of the extras they sometimes had.. were so thick that we didn't actually realize what the Monster Guy's name was SUPPOSED to be until the end credits rolled.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Were-Sandwich
    The CGI on the beast was AMAZING! It looked real. And the plot was good as well. My family had a good laugh during 'The Impossible Planet'..

TV: "A black hole is so dense that it sucks in everything around it, not even Light, Space or Time."

bastard. i just spit tea over my keyboard....
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Were-Sandwich

Ah, touche!

Doctor Who rules. Billie Pipers not so bad, but I must say I prefer David Tennent. I love the fact he's a lot more vocal than Eccleston was. The Cybermen episode was good, and the Girl in the Fireplace (viewers could rele relate to the doctor then, he seemed much more human).
    I lack a humurous opinion/outlook

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oh, and btw, did the Ood remind anyone else of Mind Flayer?

Oh yea, and Peter Kay next week :)

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by orcmonk89
    Oh, and btw, did the Ood remind anyone else of Mind Flayer?

Oh yea, and Peter Kay next week :)
    There was a whole thread about it.

What REALLY got me was seeing Vicar of Dibley's Owen as insane mastermind John Lumic. I seriously couldn't stop thinking that he was going to start talking about sex with livestock. It was really disconcerting.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Howard

There was a whole thread about it.

What REALLY got me was seeing Vicar of Dibley's Owen as insane mastermind John Lumic. I seriously couldn't stop thinking that he was going to start talking about sex with livestock. It was really disconcerting.
    LOL, that would have been hilarious:

Rose: 'How did you create these Cybermen, Mr Lumic?'

Lumic (Farmer's Accent): 'Well, funny your should ask that, you see....'

;)

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by orcmonk89

LOL, that would have been hilarious:

Rose: 'How did you create these Cybermen, Mr Lumic?'

Lumic (Farmer's Accent): 'Well, funny your should ask that, you see....'

;)
    Wherin Owen gets fresh with his toaster...

Yeah, I thought about that. I can't un-think it.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

i kept expecting him to call everyone "dave"

Edit: i didn't want to double post.
    Did anyone catch tonights episode? Peter kay was... ok
    that thing with roses mum was... hilarious
    and the lovelife thing at the end was... cringe worthy
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

Billie Piper is leaving at the end of the series
    The 2nd Incarnation&&The Trog\'s Tavern Menu&&27/7/06 - I looted the old town and all I got was this dumb sig&&Alpha Beta Omega

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

^ after yesterday's absolute steaming heap of an episode I can see why. Campy, poorly plotted, the creature design was by a 9 year old kid (not kidding! he won a BBC competition or something...) and the ever-annoying Peter Kay was *dreadful*.

Russell Davies - who seems to write all the worst episodes - should have the dogs set on him for that inexcusable waste of TV airtime! >:(

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

I agree that yesterday's didn't continue the outstanding trend but is was a brave attempt to have an almost Doctor Who'less episode.

The problem if any appears to be the long long queue of British actors clamouring to be in any episode. This one at least used up a whole batch of the luvvies and so got them off the production teams back.

27. - Top - End - #27

Yeah.. and I AM the big fangirl who always says, "Wow, greatest Doctor Who ever!" all the time.. but my first thought, I have to admit, was, "So Tennant and Piper both had.. their appendixes.. no, wait -- that should be 'appendices'!... oh, that's weird."
    (Being a linguist, my thoughts rarely make it as far as "out".)
    "So they both came down with a terrible flu at the same time, which they caught from each other, and they weren't able to make it to actually film an episode, so they just aired another program."

I also actually had to check to make sure I actually had the whole episode, and that the movie file I was watching ended in credits, because after 23 minutes, I felt like I'd only watched the first 5.

I don't mind; everything has its off days - remember when the second Doctor fought those claymation dinosaurs? Or remember that guy who Davison regenerated into? (Low blows at Colin Baker are fair game! It says so right here in my "Being a Smartalec About Doctor Who at 3am Pacific Standard Time" handbook, Grumpet and Harling, 2004, Oxford Press, chapter 4-"Low Blows at Colin Baker and Why They're OK As Long As You Don't Take Yourself All That Seriously.")
    So, off days or not, I still love it.

And I did appreciate the cute opening sequence. I was actually really excited for a cool and slightly lighter-hearted episode at that, but.. yeah. What was up with this last episode? Are they gearing up for something else later, and they had to do some weird stuff this week to make it all fit? Is there a story behind this all, or were they just feeling wacky?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Howard
    (Low blows at Colin Baker are fair game! It says so right here in my "Being a Smartalec About Doctor Who at 3am Pacific Standard Time" handbook, Grumpet and Harling, 2004, Oxford Press, chapter 4-"Low Blows at Colin Baker and Why They're OK As Long As You Don't Take Yourself All That Seriously.")
    ;D ;D ;D

You win. I suppose I should just keep reciting "At least it wasn't "Tomb of the Cybermen", nothing could be worse than that..."

edit: I still maintain my position about savaging the writer with a pack of dogs though. Now *that* would be good tv. :D

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Did anyone catch tonights episode? Peter kay was... ok
    that thing with roses mum was... hilarious
    and the lovelife thing at the end was... cringe worthy
    Urk... that green monster thing running around reminded me of power rangers I watched when I was about five... :-X

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

I hate Doctor Who with a passion. It's so stupid, dealing with weird aliens, time travel and ghosts... It makes no sense at all. It isn't even funny, like most stupid shows, it's just stupid. Very stupid.
    "There is no quote"