New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Asterix

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground
    Default Asterix

Goscinni and Uderzo's. Funny. French. Very Funny. And I like it a lot.

Did anyone ever read?
    So, anyone remembers Aslam?&&well, be sure I remember you!&&&&(\\/)&&(O.o)&&(><)&&Prepare yourselves... The Bunny will come back...&&&&Eu Amo o Brasil!!!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Asterix

Over 20 years ago when I was taking French language in High School, I did.

Yeah, they were great comics. Kinda like a French version of Hagar the Horrible but smarter.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Only every single one. And I'm currently watching the second movie (Mission Cleopatra) on VHS.

How did you end up making this thread right as I was doing that? Are you psychic? Are you with the NSA? The ASTERIX branch of the NSA??

Spoooooooooookkkyyyyyyy....
    Runs on Earl Grey. Refuels daily at 4.&&\"What Haley Said\" Official Compilation-http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=comics;action=display;num=1148000972 &&&&I have \"authorisation\" authorisation (formerly \"\'authorisation\' authorization\") now!

4. - Top - End - #4

Used to be the only thing I read when I was a kid. Really enjoyed them at the time but these days, now with Rene Goscinni gone, I feel that the stories are beyond horrible and are only getting worst. I mean, c'mon, aliens and superheros in a book that is taken place in 50BC. I don't think so.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I have all the Asterix books. I loved them as a kid, and I still enjoy reading them from time to time. But as Fale said, the quality of the stories has gone way, way downhill since Uderzo writes them.

6. - Top - End - #6

Make that "all of them since 2001", then. I haven't been keeping up since I moved out of France.
    Runs on Earl Grey. Refuels daily at 4.&&\"What Haley Said\" Official Compilation-http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=comics;action=display;num=1148000972 &&&&I have \"authorisation\" authorisation (formerly \"\'authorisation\' authorization\") now!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Yes, I did, even though I did not get most of the jokes as a child. But I remembered. I have to agree the newest three comics are not that good and I do not like the new movies either.
    Many thanks to Ink for this great avatar!

8. - Top - End - #8

Asterix and Tintin were my first comics; my dad read to them when we were still new to France. Good stuff...But DO NOT read the last book. It's freaking stupid. Stick to the old stuff; plenty of that (I dunno how well they were translated; I mean, the comic was choke-full of puns and wordplays...)
    Saga of Soul: Not your Typical Magical Girl Story.
    Where I Watch: My Little Pony

Avatar by Lord Iames Osari, Grand Admiral Thrawn by Timothy Zahn. Thanks to both!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

Asterix was very famous in Europe, as well as the Lucky Luke series (Text by Goscinni, Drawing by belgian Morris). But it's true: Since Goscinni's Death, the stories somehow went down the river, though there are some Lucky Luke comics from other writers (but still with Morris as drawer), which are fairly good.

Soon, a new Asterix Cartoon will start in the Cinemas. It's called "Asterix and the Vikings" and is based on the comic "Asterix and the Normans"

http://www.asterix.co.nz/movies/aste...thevikings.htm

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald_saveloy
    Asterix was very famous in Europe, as well as the Lucky Luke series (Text by Goscinni, Drawing by belgian Morris). But it's true: Since Goscinni's Death, the stories somehow went down the river, though there are some Lucky Luke comics from other writers (but still with Morris as drawer), which are fairly good.

Soon, a new Asterix Cartoon will start in the Cinemas. It's called "Asterix and the Vikings" and is based on the comic "Asterix and the Normans"

http://www.asterix.co.nz/movies/aste...thevikings.htm
    So... why didn't they just stick with "Normans" for the movie?
    HUMANS....... ARE....... SUPERIORRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But she was naked! And all... articulate!!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

I dunno! Maybe because they change the story to some parts.

Spoiler
    Show

The Basic story is the same as in the Original book: The Vikings sail to Gaul because they wan't to know what fear is. "Fear gives you wings!" or so it's said.
    At the same time, Majestix nephew Justforthekix is send for the village to learn what a real man is. But he is more interested in flirts with the village's girls and in having a party. Of course, he is afraid of nearly everything, especially Romans and the Vikings. Consequently, the Vikings kidnap Justforthekix and force him to teach them, what is fear. So far, the story is known from the comic book.
    Now the story takes a slightly different turn, as the Vikings take Justforthekix with them to Scandinavia and Asterix and Obelix set off to rescue their friend.
    Oh yes, and the Viking Chieftain's cute, but spunky daughter is also involved.

But probably they changed the title for copyright reasons.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

I never read it but I did see a video game for PS2 at my local gamestop.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

I used to be a huge Asterix fan. I had all the books up until the late 1990s' when I left home and concentrated on adjusting to a sudden thrust into adult life at 15. These days I have to confess they make me cringe a little because although they are funny they are also historically inaccurate; Thanks to having about 80 channels on Satellite TV for history and documentary alone I have become a bit of a History Nazi :-[ :'( But maybe I should just ignore the adult and read them again just for fun, I have been thinking of buying my own collection again...

The first Asterix book I read was Asterix And The Normans; I was about 5 and got told off for emulating Justforkix's efforts to get the Norsemen off of Asterix :D
    GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: Exposure to this .sig can be hazardous to your health.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

Jay!

Asterix is one of the best comics ever written (excluding late books, of course). There are excellent translations in Swedish. My favourites are the one where A & O join the Roman army and go to Africa (don't know the English title, but it may be "Asterix the Legionaire") and Asterix and the Britons. Artistically, no-one equals Asterix and Cleopatra.
    For satire, there's too many to name a favorite.

Got to read them all again. Thanks for the reminder!
    There aren't really any exclusive or original ideas on TVTropes. That's kind of the point.
    - Nerd-o-rama.

Avatar by kpenguin, who is gratefully acknowledged!

15. - Top - End - #15

Joining in the fan club! ;D

I own a lot of Asterix's comics (nearly all of them). Must agree that the last ones aren't as fun (I haven't even read the most recent).

My favourite? Asterix Chez Rahazhad (sp?). Maybe we could make an entry for those who post in the thread for the first time. Something like:

Fan of Asterix? Yes/no
    How many have you read? nb./a few/a lot/most/all.
    Favourite character? *name*
    Favourite comic? *name*
    Other comments: blah, blah, blah.

I think I'd be fun. I'd give a good idea of which characters and books are prefered. Just my two cents.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

1) Yes
    2) A lot (never read the new ones... I don't think I could find them in Brazil...)
    3) Er... It's Panoramix in Brazil, but I'm not sure... Well, the Druid
    4) Among the Brittain, and... The Gift of Caesar???
    5) I didn't read the new comics. It's not about its quallity, just because I've never found any of them here...

;D
    So, anyone remembers Aslam?&&well, be sure I remember you!&&&&(\\/)&&(O.o)&&(><)&&Prepare yourselves... The Bunny will come back...&&&&Eu Amo o Brasil!!!

17. - Top - End - #17

Fav character - Assurancetourix. I have and always will have a thing for bards. Panoramix gets a close second, though.

I really liked the fish fight from the first live action film.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

Fan of Asterix? Yes
    How many have you read? All published before 1991.
    Favourite character? Obelix
    Favourite comic? Difficult to say. There so many good books! Probably Asterix in Britain. Especially the scene when Asterix and Obelix get served wild pig boiled in mint sauce and Obelix just says: "The poor pig!"

19. - Top - End - #19

My favorite character was actually Julius Cesar...
    Saga of Soul: Not your Typical Magical Girl Story.
    Where I Watch: My Little Pony

Avatar by Lord Iames Osari, Grand Admiral Thrawn by Timothy Zahn. Thanks to both!

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Howard
    Fav character - Assurancetourix. I have and always will have a thing for bards. Panoramix gets a close second, though.

I really liked the fish fight from the first live action film.
    ^^^ Yep, me too. When I was young, I had a picture of Assurancetourix 'glued' on my desk. :D And my favourite book would be Chez Rahazad (spelling, probably). I'm sure you can guess why.

Anyone has seen the 'comic' film? (I really don't know how to call that...)

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

I am a huge fan (have all of the asterix books, have all of the tintin books, all in English). I couldn't possibly decide on a favorite comic, though my favorite characters are actually the romans who live near the camp (I know they change, but I just love how they seem to accept that getting pummeled is their fate). I also like Getafix the druid a lot.
    "TORONTO. CANADA. Which is, despite common belief, NORTH of you."-Abd Al-Azrad
    "Sadly, Thray has a point."-The Glyphstone, who is NOT a cad
    "Thray wins. at the internet." Rama Lei
    "It's only confusing if you don't get it."-Thomas