New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Worst "VS" Arguments You've Heard?

Quote Originally Posted by Geesi View Post
    Paint.

The Hindenburg had what was essentially incendiary paint. Pure hydrogen isn't actually that flammable.
    It was a combination of the two factors.
    My Current Works

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Also I'm pretty sure you're GLaDoS now.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Titan in the Playground

Found a new contender.

Someone seriously arguing the combine (from Half Life) could beat Discworld.

Including DEATH.

Words fail me.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Zeful View Post
    Isn't flammable? The Hindenburg wasn't filled with hydrogen?
    Hahaha, I see the problem. I misread your actual post and was responding to the original pro-Nitrogen argument in layman's terms.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2009-08-25 at 12:51 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

4. - Top - End - #454
    Banned

There was once a discussion on the CoH/CoV forums about who would win in a fight: Wolverine (X-Men) or Raphael (TMNT). The only person who thoguht this would be a good fight was the op, who was highly resistant to any sort of feedback as to why Raph would quickly become a turtle-colored stain on the floor. It started as annoying but became pretty entertaining to see how he would try and justify his increasingly outlandish position.

He also started other discussin threads such as New York or Detroit, which city is more of a haven to superheroes? Again he was the only one who thought this was not an insane question.

Funny kid, had some crazy entertaining ideas but not an iota of common sense. For example: Within 100 years, all humans will have the abilities of Superman. "They" are working on it."

5. - Top - End - #455
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Geesi View Post
    Pure hydrogen isn't actually that flammable.
    Hydrogen gas is a 4/4 on the NFPA flammability scale (You know those multi-colored diamonds they use to label chamical hazards?).

Its as dangerous as a flammable substance as there is. I'm not certain where you're getting your information, but it is faulty.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keshay View Post
    There was once a discussion on the CoH/CoV forums about who would win in a fight: Wolverine (X-Men) or Raphael (TMNT). The only person who thoguht this would be a good fight was the op, who was highly resistant to any sort of feedback as to why Raph would quickly become a turtle-colored stain on the floor. It started as annoying but became pretty entertaining to see how he would try and justify his increasingly outlandish position.

He also started other discussin threads such as New York or Detroit, which city is more of a haven to superheroes? Again he was the only one who thought this was not an insane question.

Funny kid, had some crazy entertaining ideas but not an iota of common sense. For example: Within 100 years, all humans will have the abilities of Superman. "They" are working on it."
    I've also seen "Raphael vs. Ichigo Kurosaki". In this case, Raph can't even see his opponent or affect him in any way.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    I've also seen "Raphael vs. Ichigo Kurosaki". In this case, Raph can't even see his opponent or affect him in any way.
    That really depends. If he's actually in his body, then it's pretty even. Otherwise, Raph's screwed.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Troll in the Playground

Hydrogen gas is a 4/4 on the NFPA flammability scale (You know those multi-colored diamonds they use to label chamical hazards?).

Its as dangerous as a flammable substance as there is. I'm not certain where you're getting your information, but it is faulty.
    Heh, high school general science class is an unreliable mistress. I stand corrected!
    Rider avatar by Elder Tsofu

9. - Top - End - #459
    Barbarian in the Playground

Only if there is oxgen present to ignite in which case it is not "pure" hydrogen.
    Rural Reign An Original Superhero Webcomic Written by Me and AteMozzarlla

Darkblade Avatar by Necropaladin

10. - Top - End - #460
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by darkblade View Post
    Only if there is oxgen present to ignite in which case it is not "pure" hydrogen.
    This is a lot like the 'water is a good conductor of electricity' thing.. somebody always pops up to remind us all that actual pure water is not a good conductor. It's all well and good to know, but in almost all situations where it is relevant whether or not water will conduct/hydrogen will explode you are not dealing with distilled water or an oxygen-free environment. Discussion of flammability is completely meaningless in an oxygen-free environment, after all; nothing at all burns without oxygen in the area.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Ogre in the Playground

Except stuff that contains its own oxidizer, such as gunpowder.
    My favorite exchange:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    If your idea of fun is to give the players whatever they want, then I suggest you take out a board game called: CANDY LAND and use that for your gaming sessions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag
    Obviously, you have never known the frustration of being stranded in the Molasses Swamp.
    _______
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeavelli View Post
    Physics is a dame of culture and sophistication. She'll take you in, keep you warm at night, provide all kinds of insight into yourself and the world you never find on your own.

12. - Top - End - #462
    Ogre in the Playground

This is one of those ones that would benefit greatly from defining what time the fighters are from. Wolverine when he first started? I'd definitely be tempted to go with Raph. Wolverine as he is now? Not even a contest.

Really, any thread with Wolverine in it tends to become very stupid, very quickly, as Wolverine's power level is all over the freaking place depending on when in his storyline you take him from.
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

13. - Top - End - #463
    Troll in the Playground

And in fact, hydrogen is very reactive with a lot of different things, not just oxygen.

The good news is that it tends to rise quickly once released, which in most cases means that the damage it does is self-limiting.

Phil the Piratical Platypus avatar by Serpentine

14. - Top - End - #464
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by darkblade View Post
    Sorry for the furhter derail, but here are some things to consider:

http://cameochemicals.noaa.gov/chemical/8729 The NFPA704 for Hydrogen gas
    and
    http://cameochemicals.noaa.gov/chemical/4145 The NFPA704 for Oxygen gas.

Hydrogen can and will burn in the absence of oxygen.

As to the question of when Wolverine and Raph were taken from for thier respective fight. IN the discussion I was refering to the op seemed to want to take Wolverine from right after he'd had his Adamantium taken out and was therefore depowered, and wanted to take Raphael as a magical, half-dragon that coudl grow to giant-size or something... Like I said the kid regularly failed to make sense.

15. - Top - End - #465
    Ogre in the Playground

As to the question of when Wolverine and Raph were taken from for thier respective fight. IN the discussion I was refering to the op seemed to want to take Wolverine from right after he'd had his Adamantium taken out and was therefore depowered, and wanted to take Raphael as a magical, half-dragon that coudl grow to giant-size or something... Like I said the kid regularly failed to make sense.
    ????

Yeah, that's pretty sad. Especially since they considered Wolverine without adamantium less powerful. Without it, there's practically no way to produce any lasting harm on his body (lasting being defined as something that would actually affect the fight) and he's even faster due to not having the metal slow him down.

So, yeah. That kid had issues.
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

16. - Top - End - #466
    Ogre in the Playground

Well *right* after Wolverine had the adamantium ripped from his bones his healing factor was temporarily overloaded, and remained weak for awhile afterwards. I think that the Turtle could easily have a shot inside that window of time.

When it recovered from the trauma a few months later it became stronger and stronger and stronger. Without the adamantium toxicity it was unfettered in ways it hadn't been before. When the admantium got added back into his system his healing system had become so strong that the admantium no longer impeded it. It's the major (canonical) reason why Wolverines powers are now so uber.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Titan in the Playground

Naruto VS Godzilla.

Started as a spoof until people decided the original post was tl:dr and took it seriously, as in arguing for Naruto. This was incidentally Pre-Shippuden era Naruto.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Hydrogen can and will burn in the absence of oxygen.
    How does that work? Doesn't fire require oxygen to be present or is that just a lie from my local fire department?
    Last edited by kpenguin; 2009-08-29 at 01:10 AM.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

19. - Top - End - #469
    Ogre in the Playground

Hydrogen needs something to combine with. Any chemical reaction that releases energy fast enough will behave like a fire or explosion. There are things other than oxygen that combine with hydrogen and release that kind of energy, I guess...
    My favorite exchange:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    If your idea of fun is to give the players whatever they want, then I suggest you take out a board game called: CANDY LAND and use that for your gaming sessions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag
    Obviously, you have never known the frustration of being stranded in the Molasses Swamp.
    _______
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeavelli View Post
    Physics is a dame of culture and sophistication. She'll take you in, keep you warm at night, provide all kinds of insight into yourself and the world you never find on your own.

20. - Top - End - #470
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Apparently hydrogen can burn in chlorine. Go figure.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

21. - Top - End - #471
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    Naruto VS Godzilla.

Started as a spoof until people decided the original post was tl:dr and took it seriously, as in arguing for Naruto. This was incidentally Pre-Shippuden era Naruto.
    Wait, American 'Zilla' or classic, japanese guy in a rubber suit Godzilla?

22. - Top - End - #472
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Does it really matter?

23. - Top - End - #473
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

It does. American Godzilla was lame. Classic Godzilla has so much campy awesome that Naruto wouldn't stand a chance under any circumstances.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    Hydrogen needs something to combine with. Any chemical reaction that releases energy fast enough will behave like a fire or explosion. There are things other than oxygen that combine with hydrogen and release that kind of energy, I guess...
    And some things like magnesium can burn under water. I saw this demonstrated in eight grade. I remember because when the period before us went it burned and sparked inside the boal of water. When out class went it burned and sparked and then exploded and shattered the heavy ceramic bowl.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Glyphstone View Post
    It does. American Godzilla was lame. Classic Godzilla has so much campy awesome that Naruto wouldn't stand a chance under any circumstances.
    Exactly.

True Godzilla is much harder to kill than 'Zilla', and they've actually faced off in a Toho movie... Godzilla beat Zilla almost instantly.

I'd give Naruto the win against 'Zilla', but not Godzilla.

26. - Top - End - #476
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Sholos View Post
    ????

Yeah, that's pretty sad. Especially since they considered Wolverine without adamantium less powerful. Without it, there's practically no way to produce any lasting harm on his body (lasting being defined as something that would actually affect the fight) and he's even faster due to not having the metal slow him down.

So, yeah. That kid had issues.
    Well, while he'd be faster, he'd lose some measure of resilience (his bones can still heal, but now they can be broken in the first place) and offensive power (though bone claws would still cut Raphael up pretty good as long as he went for vulnerable spots).
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

27. - Top - End - #477
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    The thing is, Hydrogen can combine with itself, but that's irrelevant we're talking about burning, which is the uncoupling of bonds, not the creation of bonds. H2 can "burn" into H and H+ without any other chemical present.

And no the "Fire needs oxygen" was not a lie, it was just an oversimplification. Oxygen is the most common gas in atmosphere that enables fire to burn. The fire goes out when all the oxygen is gone. However, if another flammable gas is introduced the fire will keep right on burning. Like if you were to put a candle under a vaccuum jar and suck all the air out, no flame. If you were to do suck the ambient atmosphere out and pump in Hydrogen gas, well the candle would go out too, but only because of the explosion.

28. - Top - End - #478
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    Exactly.

True Godzilla is much harder to kill than 'Zilla', and they've actually faced off in a Toho movie... Godzilla beat Zilla almost instantly.

I'd give Naruto the win against 'Zilla', but not Godzilla.
    Pre-shippuden Naruto doesn't even have the firepower to take down 'zilla much less true Godzilla. I mean, there are people in the setting who aren't even close to the most badass around that can take his strongest attack at that point and live.

29. - Top - End - #479
    Bugbear in the Playground

Turns out Godzilla is tougher than you may think.

Nigh invulnerability, Breath that can one-shot most anything else around its power with pinpoint precision across amazingly long distance, Cthullu-esque regeneration, and enough intelligence to back it all up.

Oh, and every attempt to defeat it has failed in the end, including both oxygen destroyers, and a black hole.
    Last edited by Llama231; 2009-09-01 at 09:57 PM.
    Hey. Do you want to help make a game?

Due to real life issues, I have been gon without warning for a while. I seem to be back now until further notice.

Thanks to Szilard for the Avatar!

If I am ever wrong, feel free to correct me. Learning is awesomesauce.

I like to edit my posts. A lot. As you may see, most of my posts will be edited, so if one is not, and you care about what I said, you may want to check it again a minute later.

Yes.

30. - Top - End - #480
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Llama231 View Post
    Turns out Godzilla is tougher than you may think.

Nigh invulnerability, Breath that can one-shot most anything else around its power with pinpoint precision across amazingly long distance, Cthullu-esque regeneration, and enough intelligence to back it all up.

Oh, and every attempt to defeat it has failed in the end, including both oxygen destroyers, and a black hole.
    I know. I was refering to the American Godzilla, aka GINO (Godzilla In Name Only), where he was a mutated iguana that was big (though not as big as the origional), could swim well, breath hard (yes, that was just him breathing, the fire came from vehicles exploding). oh, and asexual reproduction.