New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Middle-earth

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Middle-earth

Firelight flickers across the Inn of the Prancing Pony.
    The windows are matted with ancient black grime, making it impossible to see out; the tavern is a dimly-lit, low-ceilinged place, the only source of light being the fire which smoulders in a fireplace at the end of the large room. Two long, communal tables dominate the centre of the space, with smaller tables crammed around the edges; on some of them are dirty candlesticks with candles burning low. Dusty swords, bows, and hunting trophies are mounted on the walls, relics that you guess have not seen use for many winters.
    All sorts of folk populate the inn, dark-hooded strangers lurking in the corners and cheerful bands of hobbits laughing and singing over great tankards of ale.
    A few in particular, though, catch your eye as you cast your gaze about the lively scene; all of your eyes meet, and you see that there are six of you:
    One elf, tall and proud, sits at a table with a harp slung over his back and two blades at his belt.
    Another elf is clad in robes of deep blue, and bears an ashen staff.
    In a corner, over a mug of ale, is a dour-looking dwarf in a grey-green cloak; on his back are twin axes.
    There are a dozen or so hobbits in the inn, but one stands out amongst the crowd: dressed in black leather, he constantly scans the room with his narrow eyes.
    A wood-elf there is also, clad in forest greens and bearing a great longbow, and another elf who wears sky blue and white, with a bow on his back and a sword at his waist.
    Last edited by Elfin; 2009-08-21 at 08:00 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Middle-earth

Elladan walks up to the elf with the harp, and ask, quietly, "Are you Thullaer?"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Just subscribing.
    "Whatever Happens, you can face it on your feet" Lan, The Great Hunt

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Thullaer jumps slightly, spinning round to meet the elf's gaze. "Why, hello!" he exclaims brightly. "I am indeed, sir, and judging by your demeanor and dress I would wager gold that I should know you as well. Elladan Elrondion, by chance? Or do I offend by saying the wrong name?"

5. - Top - End - #5

Elladan smiles slightly at the other elf before saying "Yes, you are correct.It's a pleasure to meet an elf of such great age and wisdom."He then sits in a chair opposite of Thullaer.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Ain sat apart from the crowds. He wasn't to much of an oddity here, he knew. His kin in the Blue Mountains were close by, and travelled through this land quite often. But it was his first time here, and he was unused to being near so many people. When he had left the Iron Hills, he first travelled to Esgaroth. From there, he journeyed Northeast coming to the Grey Mountains, which the Elves named Ered Mithrin. Orc's populated some of the Dwarf Strongholds, but he was able to visit three that had abandoned. There was little to find there, but Ain walked in wonder as he glimpsed the works of his Forefathers even under the Orc filth. After that, he travelled North, glimpsing Holy Mount Gundabad from afar, and cursing the Orcs in their own tongue, before slipping around Angmar in the Cold of Forodwaith. From there he travelled South his weary feet bringing him across the North-Downs. He glimpsed the ruins of Fornost Erain, but did not stop, having little interest in the Works of Man. And now he had come to Bree.

And no matter the company, it is nice to have the company of warm food and good Ale.

The Dwarf glanced about the Inn, wondering why there so many Elves gathered here. Ain didn't have the hatred of Elves that some seemed to carry, though he was wary of them. The Elves knew much, and said little, and few seemed to have much love of Dwarves. Still the question remained of what so many were doing here. This was the country of Men, and Halflings (or as they seemed to call themselves, Hobbits.)

"Ah well."

The Dwarf just continued to eat the stew, and drink his Ale.

7. - Top - End - #7

"So, Master Thullaer, what is the news that has proved so very important? Is the Enemy launching an attack on the Havens? Clearly the issue needs immediate attention."

8. - Top - End - #8

Hmm, the Havens are under attack? This could prove interesting... the hobbit in the corner said to himself, quietly listening to the Nolderin and Elf speak, seeing where the conversation would lead before offering his services.

9. - Top - End - #9

Harnír

Harnír sat at a table in a dark corner and wondered about the other elves at the inn. They didn't seem to have arrived as a group and it seemed strange that they all met by chance in Bree. Maybe it was a sign of fate, he knew all of them. There was Elladan, one of Eldond's sons. Eldrahil and the Noldor Thullaer were very old, he believed that both had seen the world before the creation of Sun and Moon, the Noldor might have even seen the Light of the Trees.1 He decided to talk to them later in the evening.

When he thought about it, it was also unusual for him to be in Bree. Harnír rarely went so far into the west of Eriador unless he travelled on all the way to the Grey Havens. He had met some Dúnedain in the hills northwest of Fornost and when the parted he came to Bree, maybe on a whim. He wanted to see this small country with its few villages again. It could only exist in its peaceful way because of the constant watch of the Duendain and elves, he reminded him self. He raised his cup of wine in a silent toast to the villagers. "Ignorance is bliss, ye people of Bree. But we don't need your thanks, you living the way you are is good enough."

"Where to go now ?, he asked himself. The Dunedain did a good job of keeping this region free of orcs and worse things. In the West were the Grey Havens, the old home and a resting place from troubles of the world. in the East lay the Misty Mountains and the duties he imposed upon himself.

[ooc]1 = If my calculations are correct, Thullaer the Noldor was around 14-15 years old during the destruction of the trees and the kin slaying at Alqualonde.

Based of http://ardapedia.herr-der-ringe-film...php/Hauptseite , which is kind of the german version of http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Main_Page . We are in the year 2938 of the Third Age, the Second age lasted 3441 years, the 2nd half of the 1st Age (from the creation of Sun and Moon lasted 590 years, the trees where destroyed 5 years before that.[/ooc]
    Last edited by Amiria; 2009-08-14 at 04:04 PM. Reason: mispelling and additions
    The Countess of Mispelling hath returned !__________________________________________________ _________Behold my magnetoresistance !
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingAScarab View Post
    This isn't just any drow. This is a drow who is willing to have a good-aligned flying snake come out of her body so she can then fart rainbows.
    Outer Sphere__________________________________________________ _______________Inkatar !__________________________________________________ _______________Starship

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10

Thullaer laughed. "Nothing so dire! Not yet - and I doubt that I would be the emissary of such news, nor that the tale would be told in Bree. But here, read this - take care! It is somewhat fragile." Pulling out the case, he carefully withdraws the scroll and hands it to Elladan.

Spoiler
    Show
    It's about the location of Glamdring, although I don't know the exact text…help, lord DM (hereafter referred to as Eru)?

And, Amiria - yep, 14.

11. - Top - End - #11

Elladan carefully takes the scroll from Thullaer, and reads through it.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

The scroll is a tattered and musty sheet of vellum; unsightly blotches obscure much of the text. It's in Quenya, written in a fragile, spindly hand:

Hereafter is told the resting place of Glamdring, blade of Turgon King of old:
    Beneath [blotch] that Morgoth raised
    Ere Angb[blotch]ll, or Cuiv[blotch]ost
    In the Red[blotch]n's shadow
    Where of old was Ost[blotch]
    Fair city of Ere[blotch]
    [blotch]welling of Celeb[blotch]
    There rises the high tower
    And within, when stairs twenty you [blotch]
    [blotch] find raven perched on stone
    [blotch], and he will lead you hence

-Arvedui
    Last edited by Elfin; 2009-08-20 at 07:24 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

Eldrahil entered the Prancing Pony and made his way to a far wall sitting behind Elladan. The elf lifted the hood of his cloak from his head and looked around, noting the unusual crowd, a thin smile crossed his lips before dissipating. When he had arrived he noticed a very young elf at the Pony give him a probing look, he knew he had been recognized but it was of little concern.

Asking a passing server for a mug of ale with a polite nod and "thank you," Eldrahil leaned back and was content to do nothing but listen to the excited conversations of the inn for now.
    Last edited by Hecktar; 2009-08-14 at 04:32 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Wow. This is... incredible! The possibility of finding the blade of one of the ancient elven kings.. Completely amazing. If it werent for the smudges...

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm going to make a Decipher Script check
    (1d20+2)[22]

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    The way I'm going to have you decipher the scroll:
    Once every day, you can make a decipher script check to decipher the next blotch. The DC is 20 for the first blotch, and every for blotch thereafter the DC decreases by 1.

Elladan examines the parchment carefully, and at length is able to decipher the writing beneath the first blotch:
    the peaks

Spoiler
    Show
    The scroll now reads:
    Hereafter is told the resting place of Glamdring, blade of Turgon King of old:
    Beneath the peaks that Morgoth raised
    Ere Angb[blotch]ll, or Cuiv[blotch]ost
    In the Red[blotch]n's shadow
    Where of old was Ost[blotch]
    Fair city of Ere[blotch]
    [/blotch]welling of Celeb[blotch]
    There rises the high tower
    And within, when stairs twenty you [blotch]
    [blotch] find raven perched on stone
    [blotch], and he will lead you hence

-Arvedui
    Last edited by Elfin; 2009-08-20 at 07:23 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

Ah!I have deciphered what was hidden benaeth the first smudge!"Beneath peaks that Morgoth raised"What do you think it meeans,
    Thullaer?

17. - Top - End - #17

Spoiler
    Show
    Is there a way I could use Knowledge (History) or bardic knowledge to guess at some of the words, even though I can't read them? Cuivenen, for instance, or Ost-in-Edhil (if those are the right words, anyway).

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Of course. Feel free to make a Knowledge (History) or bardic knowledge check; I'll give you a +2 bonus on anywhere or anything that you've been to or interacted with. So +2 on Ost-in-Edhil, but not on Cuivienen. It shouldn't be any trouble, anyway; the DCs are pretty low.
    Last edited by Elfin; 2009-08-14 at 05:23 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Spoiler
    Show
    Alrighty then, for the first six blotches remaining (because I have very little confidence that the rest have anything to do with history):

Knowledge (history): (1d20+8)[25]
    Bardic Knowledge: (1d20+9)[17]

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Thullaer only:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You're not actually deciphering it, but you do recognize that the Cuiv- in line three is almost certainly Cuivienen, and that the Ost- in line 5 is most likely Ost-in-Edhil.
    Last edited by Elfin; 2009-08-14 at 06:31 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Thullaer shrugs. "Well, if my lore is halfway decent, he raised many peaks, and we may as well climb every mountain. But I do believe that should we be searching, we should begin in old Eregion…that this, here, is referring to Ost-in-Edhil. When, of course, we say so long, farewell, to this fair town." He gestures lightly towards the line in question, leaning back in his chair. "Now, however, we should obtain some refreshment, as we are no good if we are thirsty and tired, yes? One minute, lord, and I shall return!" Sauntering over to the nearest server, he drapes one arm around her and grins. "Two meals, madam, and your finest ale - or do you prefer some other drink?" he calls back to Elladan.
    Last edited by FirebirdFlying; 2009-08-14 at 06:44 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22

"Ale is quite fine, Thullaer.I have not had The Pony's ale in quite some time."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Once my character ends up getting involved in this discussion, would I be allowed to make a Knowledge: Geography Roll to get a few more of the blotches? Specifically, the fourth one.

24. - Top - End - #24

"Ale, then, and many thanks!" Thullaer smiles to the woman, bowing slightly, and returns to Elladan. "Do you have instructions beyond those to meet me, lord - shall we venture forth on this quest, tomorrow?"

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Ain:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can join the conversation any time you wish.

The server turns to Thullaer as he approaches.
    "I'll get your drinks in just a moment, si- an elf, is it? By the hand of Beren! We certainly don't get many of your kind 'round the Pony! I'll be right back with your ales, my good sir!"

The server strides briskly to the back of the room, where she fills two dull grey pewter mugs and then carries them over to your table.
    "Your food will be here shortly, master elf."
    Last edited by Elfin; 2009-08-14 at 07:18 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

"Nay, no further instructions.Though it may be an intelligent idea to send a messenger to my father with news that I have met with you.Some assistance may prove helpful as well.And yes, we should depart as soon as possible"
    Last edited by Goldfly; 2009-08-14 at 07:18 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

Eldrahil stood up and walked towards Elladan placing a hand upon his shoulder while looking across the table at Thullaer with a smirk.

"Thullaer, did you really believe I would allow Elladan to leave Rivendell without me on an errand of such urgency? No, no. That would not do at all." Eldrahil reached down to shake the hands of both elves.

"Also, though it may seem as if the patrons of this inn are none but drunken men and halflings," Eldrahil said as he helped a stumbling hobbit pass by them without taking a dive face first into a table leg, "my ears were not the only ones eavesdropping on you two conversing. I believe there is another elf who frequents Rivendell, Harnír is his name if I recall correctly. I would not be surprised if somehow Elrond facilitated his being here. I noticed an inquisitive halfling inching towards you as well ever so slowly."

Spoiler
    Show

I didn't want to bring EVERYONE in myself heh, thought it might be a bit greedy, but I think this will get us going a little bit. I will let Ain jump in himself or I can add you in too if you want.

Also editted the post, I always switch back and forth between first and third person when playing in pbp games lol.
    Last edited by Hecktar; 2009-08-14 at 07:46 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

"With a smile to Eldrahil, Elladan turns to the Halfling and says "It's not polite to eavesdrop, you know."
    Last edited by Goldfly; 2009-08-14 at 07:53 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

Hugo was taken aback by the sudden calling out. Perhaps he was beginning to lose his edge after these last few years... No, just a bit rusty, he assured himself, and this would be the perfect opportunity to get back into the treasure hunting business.

Ah, didn't think it was that noticable. I'm sorry, I just overheard a bit of what you were talking about, and was deciding whether or not to offer some help. the hobbit said, lowering his hood. I am Hugo Meadows. I'm a bit of a treasure hunter, if you will, and I think I can be of some help on this hunt of yours. Forgive me if I seem to be lying, but I'm usually much better at remaining unseen, and I can help open any doors you may find you need opening on your travels. Besides, I'm not too bad with a throwing knife, either. So, do you mind if I join you on this little quest of yours?

Besides, Hugo thought to himself, a sword of a great elven king would be a fine treasure to hunt, especially for anything else that might come with it...

30. - Top - End - #30

"I believe that any help in our quest would prove to be a good idea.What do you think, Thullaer, Eldrahil?"