New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil (IC): Thread 2

Tell

Tell flashes his wolfish grin as his chain wraps heavily around the cleric's neck. "Sacrifice," he echoes the cleric's earlier words with a sharp laugh.

Unaware of the acrobatics happening high above, he lays into the dark priest.

Spoiler
    Show

No more total defence! Declaring dodge vs. cleric; AC is 20 to cleric and 19 to all others.

Attack!
    (1d20+8)[24] +2 bane,
    (2d4+4)[12]
    (2d6)[8] bane damage

AoO (triggers even if cleric uses Withdraw )
    (1d20+8)[18] +2 bane,
    (2d4+4)[9]
    (2d6)[5] bane damage

edit: Those attack rolls are actually 26 and 20 (should've been at +10). The damage is right.

Last edited by Another_Poet; 2010-06-02 at 04:25 PM.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ettin in the Playground

(( Man, what Tell lacks in Initiative rolls, he sure as hell makes up for with Attack rolls! ))

Moathouse: Planting 9, Late Morning

Round 8 (cont.)
    At first, it seems as if the armored man will somehow shrug off Tell’s attack. But then the chain glows with magic as it senses a foe it was meant to slay. The infusion of magical energy is enough to push him over, and the man falls to the ground below the ledge.

Round 9 (cont.)
    Without his master to guide him, the summoned creature runs to hide in the rocks along the southern wall.

(( Map #19 ))

(( Going to keep going round-by-round in case the purple veins in the rock prove to be a threat to Megiddo. ))
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ettin in the Playground

Tell

Tell places his chain back around his shoulders and draws three arrows from his quiver. One of them he splashes with water from his waterskin. The second he scrapes with his flint. The third he breathes over, reciting druidic phrases in a whisper.

Spoiler
    Show

I'll assume that's at least one round's activity, and wait till next round to do more.

Also... that's the summoned creature's 6th round! I hope it is around for many, many more.... hehehehe....
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Megiddo stands up, brushes himself off, and draws his sword.

Edit - light spell on the sword would have worn off by now. How much can I see with low-light vision?
    Last edited by Skjaldbakka; 2010-06-03 at 08:50 AM.
    Aratos Tell
    HP:53/53 AC:19,FlatFooted:16,Touch:13
    Active Effects: Speak w/Animals
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    HP:26/26 PP: 40/40 AC:14,FlatFooted:13,Touch:13
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ettin in the Playground

Moathouse: Planting 9

(( Only light source close enough to lend sight is Grigor’s. Fifteen feet above Megiddo. Even with low-light vision, it grows shadowy just before it reaches the wall. And if he reaches the west edge of the stone platform he will only be able to see slightly lower than the platform by that light. Though, thanks to the greater radius provided by a full lantern, the shadowy illumination generated by Tell reaches about 20 ft. below where Grigor’s light totally peters out. ))

The veins converge under Megiddo’s feet as he draws his sword. The stone grows even colder, and the chill takes on draining feel, as if it is trying to sap all of Megiddo’s strength. It takes all the effort Megiddo can muster to keep a sense of feeling in his limbs (( 1d20+2=22; Successful )).

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not sure whether Megiddo's done with his turn or not but it's been several days. I'm just gonna post my next action, since I'm not really in combat, it doesn't matter much.

Tell puts the three arrows in his mouth, clenching his teeth to hold them. With bow on back he spiderwalks down to ground level where the wounded, unconscious (or possibly dead...) cleric lies.

He walks up next to the man and says out loud, "Yes, sacrifice is in order," as he nocks all three arrows onto his bow at once.

"By the spirits of earth, sea and sky I commit this life to the elements. May it nourish and sustain the living world, may it aid and succor living things, may it return to the elements from which it was made. As he was useless and backwards in life, let him serve instead through his death."

He then fires the three arrows into the cleric and stands by solemnly as the blood spreads into the bedrock of the floor.

Spoiler
    Show
    Effectively a CdG, which technically you can't do with a bow but since he was about to die anyway and it's dramatic I hope you'll allow it. Druid human sacrifice for the win!!!

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ettin in the Playground

(( You can Coup de Grace with a bow or crossbow if adjacent to the target. Which you are. ))

While Megiddo is dealing with the veins on the obelisk, Tell finishes off the armored man.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not sure if we're still in round-by-round or not. Can I post more stuff?

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ettin in the Playground

(( Post away. I don’t think synchronized time is strictly necessary at this point. ))

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ettin in the Playground

Tell continues to watch the summoned creature until it disappears. ((How many rounds did it last?)) Once it is gone he takes a look at the cleric's body. He separates the man's gear from him, then searches the body for anything hidden. ((Take 20: 22)).

Once he has all the man's equipment, he makes a bundle that he wraps in his blanket/cloak.

He then cuts the man open with his hand-axe, reading the liver of the sacrifice and hmming and hawing over the omens he discovers there. He leaves the rest of the man's entrails in his body and places two small stones over his eyes.

Then he takes the bundle of goodies, secures it to his back, and spiderwalks his way back upward to report his findings.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Trying to figure out what this thing is:

(1d20+15)[19] know arcana
    (1d20+15)[20] know psionics
    (1d20+17)[18] know planes
    (1d20+16)[32] spellcraft
    (1d20+15)[32] psicraft
    Aratos Tell
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ettin in the Playground

Tell:
    The summoned creature actually disappeared while Tell was climbing down the wall.

(( I’ll get to the loot later. Just time enough for a quick post here. ))

Megiddo:
    Megiddo has never seen anything quite like this before. But it’s pretty powerful, espcecially if it affects the entire obelisk. He still feels that draining chill coming from the veins under his feet, and he’s not sure if he can take much more of it.

(( Still got a move and standard action you might want to consider taking… ))

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming that my blessing the arrows only took 1 round, that is a 7 round duration! (Appeared on Round 4, Disappeared at the end of Round 10). I killed a 7th level cleric! Whoodley dooo!

By the way, when I level, may I retrain a level of Fighter over to a level of Druid instead?

I... was not so familiar with the importance of spell progression when I first made Tell.
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2010-06-08 at 08:45 PM.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ettin in the Playground

Tell:
    As Tell looks the dead man over, the knives that surround him dissolve into nothingness.

On his person, the man was wearing or carrying:
    • Thick black cloak
    • Full plate armor
    • Large shield
    • Spell pouch
    • Money pouch with 23 gp in various mintages
    • Curved shortsword
    • Pouch containing a polished pearl
    • Full potion flask
    • Light crossbow
    • Ten crossbow bolts
    • Spell component pouch
    • Black and yellow triangle pendant, identical to those worn by the human clerics above.

As Tell finishes looking the cleric over and readies his ax, he begins to realize just how cold it really is in the chamber. Though he can tough it out for a while, it’s starting to get dangerous (( Fort save: 1d20+9=17; Success )). The cleric’s cloak looks like it would be useful in staving off the cold.

He also realizes he probably shouldn’t spend too much longer down here. In a few minutes, the potion will probably be halfway worn off.

Megiddo:
    (( As per OOC instructions. ))

Tell hurries to the wooden platform. The moment he steps off of the stone, the purple veins disperse and return to where they were before Megiddo crashed onto it.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ettin in the Playground

Tell uses his cloak to make a bundle with all the stuff inside. He wears the cleric's warmer cloak instead.

He takes a moment to check out both carvings
    search - (1d20+2)[3]
    search - (1d20+2)[17]

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

From the safety of the platform, Megiddo will begin scrutinizing the stone's resonance. We'll start with detect magic, then detect evil, since it is probably evil.

He will shield his eyes with his hands as he uses the wands, anticipating a blinding aura.
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ettin in the Playground

Moathouse, Planting 9, Late Morning

Tell
    The only thing unusual about either carving is that getting near them produces a strange, unsettling feeling. Especially the sun. When near the black sun, Tell feels a strange sensation, like something trying to claw its way into his mind.

All the more reason to make a hasty retreat back up to warmer chambers.

Megiddo
    Megiddo finds the stone platform radiates strong magic (necromancy) and evil auras.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ettin in the Playground

With the new bundle on his back, Tell spiderclimbs back up the wall toward the top.

Before he gets anywhere near the next light source up, he calls ahead:

"It's Tell! It's Tell!"

He is wearing the cloak of the evil cleric, after all, and carrying an odd bundle. He doesn't want to be mistaken for a bad guy.

Once he reaches Megiddo's platform he gives the elf a curious look. "You alright?"

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

"I am fine. Did you discover anything worth investigating further?"
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ettin in the Playground

"Yeah.... But he's dead. Come on up and I'll tell the whole story."

Unless Megiddo objects, he rejoins the others at the top of the shaft and unburdens himself of the bundle of goodies. If Megiddo is having any trouble getting up, Tell will use the remaining Spider Climb time (if any) to go down and help him.

Once they are all together with Grigor and the militia at the top, he reports:

"Down there are two carvings. One shows the sun and the other shows, I dunno, a temple or pyramid type thing. Both are carved in black stone. If that doesn't tip you off there was another one of those 'priests' down there. Dunno why or how, didn't find much food supply, and it's freezing cold down there. He seemed fine though. Said he wanted to sacrifice me. I took about half of his suggestion."

He ponders a moment as that message sinks in. Then: "The water empties into a little pool. It must drain somewhere, but I didn't want to go for a swim. Too cold."

"Megiddo, you scoping magic? Any auras?"

He undoes the bundle and waits to see what auras his friend sees.

Thick black cloak
    Full plate armor
    Large shield
    Spell pouch
    Money pouch with 23 gp in various mintages (Not offered or shown)
    Curved shortsword
    Pouch containing a polished pearl
    Full potion flask
    Light crossbow
    Ten crossbow bolts
    Spell component pouch (a second one? or a typo?)
    Black and yellow triangle pendant, identical to those worn by the human clerics above.

"Something weird too. These look like pouches of spell components... but he was a priest. You think they train as wizards too? Guy seemed pretty well stocked."

edit: Also can someone make an Alchemy check to ID the potion?
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2010-06-11 at 10:30 AM.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Grigor, human cleric

Just as Grigor finally managed to grab the other platform's rope, Tell comes back up.

A few shouted instructions to the militia men later, everyone is safely up the shaft again.

"Hrmph, all those acrobatics for nothing. Okay, so I am more of a fighter then a sneak, sue me. So, what did you learn?"

Grigor listens as Tell tells his story. He idly notes that the late cleric did not seem to carry any coin on him. Oh well, to the victor go the spoils and all that.

"Interesting. A cleric who dabbles in the arcane. Or maybe even more then dabbles. But if that flying creature was also a summon... and it must have been, there was no corpse after all... hm. Either way, congratulations on your kill. Made the world a slightly safer place to live in today you did."

"The intersting part is that the guy was essentially sealed in down there, what with the closed up shaft. Okay, so he probably can just summon all the light and food and water he needs, but how did he plan on getting out there? At any rate, the plan probably involved him doing something down there that didn't allow some pesky do-gooders like us to interfere with. Hrm, if I was certain that there are no more bad guys lurking in these caves anymore, I would almost suggest to start doing some research about the facts we learned."
    "I don't function in society. I'm a mercenary. I blow society up."

Cpl. Shore Pibald, Schlock Mercenary.

Quote Originally Posted by NecroRebel View Post
    ... Music ... causes Bards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riffington View Post
    Bah. Lycar is absolutely right.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

"I imagine they would have a difficult time gathering arcane energies in that armor. As for magical auras..."
    detect magic?
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ettin in the Playground

(( The time it takes to remove the cleric’s armor would probably actually give Grigor and Megiddo a chance to take the elevator most of the way, if not all the way down the chamber. Did either of them want to explore? ))

Haunor is furious with Megiddo for the just-jump-down-the-passage stunt. (( But, in the interest of saving time, I won’t elaborate this unless you really want to play it out. )) However, Mair can’t hide a smirk of appreciation at such a direct approach to the problem.

Megiddo’s examination of the gear reveals magical auras on the following:
    • Armor (Faint abjuration)
    • Shortsword (Faint evocation)
    • Potion (Faint conjuration)
    • Pearl (Strong transmutation)

It also turns out that the spell component pouch has a (( the second was a typo )) has a small vial with some sort of nonmagical solution inside and couple of black stones, all padded with a few bits of animal fur.

While Megiddo is examining the retrieved gear, Haunor asks Tell, “So is there anything else down there that bears looking at?”

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ettin in the Playground

((There is a good chance the potion is a healing potion then. Shhalahr, having drunk a variety of healing potions, is there any way to tell by colour/smell if this is one?))

"Anyone want to use the sword or wear the armour? We'll sell it when we get back to town but you can wear it meanwhile."

He then holds the prayer and gazes into its luster, contemplating its beauty and the aura Megiddo reported. ((Does he perhaps recall a spell he cast?))

Once Haunor is calm enough to ask if there's anything else worth reporting below, Tell shakes his head. "Not unless you want to go see those carvings." ((I think I told them everything, correct me if I'm wrong.))

Tell suggests they stash any spoils they can't use in the room where they slept, rather than lugging them about, and then the group should be ready to continue to the maze-like tunnels they had originally meant to investigate.

Spoiler
    Show
    Please let me know who is wearing/wielding/carrying what. That includes NPCs - if one of them wants to use the sword it's fine. I'll put everything on my sheet as well as who has it or where it is being stored.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Megiddo will attempt to deflate the wrath of Haunor by simply and calmy stating that he used magic to guarantee a safe descent. Which to Megiddo is not a lie, but more a statement of hubris. We can reference the fight with the dragon as a testament to Megiddo's hubris.

Also, all for taking the platform down to Tell, as opposed for waiting at the top. Clearly there are dangers down there.

Edit- unless there aren't, in which case, perfectly cool with fast forwarding past a fruitless search of the bottom of the pit.
    Last edited by Skjaldbakka; 2010-06-15 at 12:16 AM.
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ettin in the Playground

(( Okay, I’m pretty confident that nothing particularly bad will happen, so I’ll give a few more details of what’s down in the chamber from Grigor and Meggido’s look around and continue with the loot exploration at the same time. Nothing “particularly bad” doesn’t mean “completely safe” or “uninteresting.”

You can of course also get the layout, then go up, saving more detailed exloration for later. If you want to at all.

But if this “time warp” gets confusing, let me know. I’m just trying to compress things and get to more interesting stuff. ))

Some minutes ago:
    Megiddo and Grigor take a quick look around the chamber. Near the pile of rocks where the cleric was hiding, they find a backpack, lantern, 2 pint-flasks of oil, and a 50-ft. coil of hemp rope. In the backpack are:
    • Some trail rations
    • set ochre robes, with slightly more intricate embroidering than those found on clerics above
    • folded scrap of paper with writing that reads “The Water Temple will soon make its move against the forces of Fire. Return quickly, Festrath, for we need your aid. Together, we shall win the favor of the doomdreamers and the Triad itself.”
    • wand (( Faint divination ))
    • A polished piece of onyx

Along the eastern wall, they notice something Tell didn’t have time to catch—a strange archway, carved like a mass of writhing tentacles and serpents. The archway is carved into the wall with nothing but black stone beyond. (( Located on (12,2) and (12, 3) on the map ))

They also find the ladder that tell passed. The one that goes up the column to where it meets the point of the obelisk.

(( I won’t bother with cold saves anymore. The nonlethal damage is more annoyance than actual hindrance at this point. And you’ll heal it up pretty quickly once you’re back topside. ))

Now:
    (( Even potions of the same spell could be made with different recipes. Hence the use of a Spellcraft check to narrow it down. And these guys are probably using a very different recipe from what Tell is used to. However… ))

The potion doesn’t smell so weird that it eliminates the possibility of a healing potion. It’s kind of reminiscent of an apprentice’s potion Tell once tried, only this one would probably taste even more unappealing.

(( As for the pearl, is there any particular spell he had in mind? ))

Even when presented with magic weapons, the militia members would rather stick with their own gear until the nature of the enchantments on the sword and armor are verified.
    Last edited by Shhalahr Windrider; 2010-06-16 at 07:10 PM.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Megiddo's eyes flash with anger when he reads the letter, and when his gaze falls on the archway, he glares at it with a fierce intensity, and the area is filled with the low hum of many voices, until they break into a single high pitched shriek which shatters the carved reliefs on the archway.

OOC: Manifesting Energy Missile Sonic. (3d6-3)[8] isn't a lot of damage, but ignoring hardness it should be plenty to do superficial damage.
    Last edited by Skjaldbakka; 2010-06-17 at 11:47 AM.
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ettin in the Playground

Loot Disposition
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thick black cloak - In room where we slept
    Full plate armor (Faint abjuration) - In room where we slept
    Large shield - In room where we slept
    Spell pouch - In room where we slept
    Curved shortsword (Faint evocation) - In room where we slept
    Polished pearl (Strong transmutation) - On Tell's person
    Full potion flask (Faint conjuration, possibly healing) - On Tell's person
    Light crossbow - In room where we slept
    Ten crossbow bolts - In room where we slept
    Black and yellow triangle pendant, identical to those worn by the human clerics above - On Tell's person

This does not account for the loot Meg and Grigor just found. You can bookkeep that yourself - though I do hope we can ID the wand :)

@ GM
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Shhalahr Windrider View Post
    (( As for the pearl, is there any particular spell he had in mind? ))
    Soften Earth & Stone (Drd2)

Last edited by Another_Poet; 2010-06-17 at 10:32 AM.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ettin in the Playground

Moathouse: Planting 8, Late Morning

Some Minutes Ago:
    Megiddo & Grigor:
    Megiddo’s missile tears a chunk of stone off of the top of the archway.

Now:
    Tell:
    Tell does not recover soften earth and stone.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ettin in the Playground

Tell puts the pearl back in its pouch, unsure what it does but confident it will come in handy one of these days.