New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 39 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil (IC): Thread 2

Jaroo’s Lodge: Planting 10, Late-afternoon

Thanks to Megiddo’s safety precautions, no one is hit by the noxious liquid that suddenly sprays everywhere around the chest as it is opened. The magically created liquid has an immediately corrosive effect on the objects it hits before it disappears almost as quickly.

Inside the chest are
    • A sack full of coins, mostly gold and of the usual varying mints. 480 gp in total.
    • An ochre-colored robe
    • A disguise kit
    • A small envelope with a note inside.

The note reads:
    Spoiler
    Show

Master Dunrat—

It is now your duty to lead an expedition to the moathouse outside the village of Hommlet that served as one of our bases years ago. You are to take a crew to Hommlet, where you will do what you can to establish a secret base of operations. From there, you may travel to the mouthouse to the east of town.

Underneath a moathouse lay a shrine to the Dark God. We believe this shrine may contain artifacts of great importance to our cause. You are to uncover this shrine, collect any such artifacts you find, and then return with them to the Temple of All-Consumption.

A wagon can be obtained from Tal Chamish in Rastor to haul whatever you find back to the crater.

Go forth and do the Dark God’s Will!

Naquent
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

2. - Top - End - #632
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

"Interesting. I believe we have a few names to inquire about. If that does not prove fruitful, I suppose we should find this Tal Chamish individual."
    Aratos Tell
    HP:53/53 AC:19,FlatFooted:16,Touch:13
    Active Effects: Speak w/Animals
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    HP:26/26 PP: 40/40 AC:14,FlatFooted:13,Touch:13
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

3. - Top - End - #633
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Grigor, human cleric

"Artifacts, huh? Guess we overlooked them in that maze." Grigor says to Megiddo with a meaningful look.

Spoiler
    Show
    Which of course means that Grigor thinks it is best not to reveal that they totally did loot that shrine back there, even if they can probably trust Elmo. But they can't trust everybody Elmo might talk to.
    "I don't function in society. I'm a mercenary. I blow society up."

Cpl. Shore Pibald, Schlock Mercenary.

Quote Originally Posted by NecroRebel View Post
    ... Music ... causes Bards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riffington View Post
    Bah. Lycar is absolutely right.

4. - Top - End - #634
    Ettin in the Playground

Elmo responds to Megiddo, “Well, unless this Tal Chemish fella came up here with the wagon, you’ve got quite the hike ahead of you. Rastor’s on the other side of the Kron Hills, by the Lortmil Mountains. I guess that’s where these folks are orginally from.”

(( Map for Reference

Also, it was a while since it came up, so I’ll remind you that you had heard something about a wagon earlier in the day. ))

5. - Top - End - #635
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

"Todariche mentioned a few strangers that were taking a wagon towards the moathouse. I recommend we revisit that location as well, they should still be waiting for Jaroo's imposter."
    Aratos Tell
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

6. - Top - End - #636
    Ettin in the Playground

“Really?” Elmo responds, “When did he see this? Was it before or after the squad left to pick up Kevril? That could make things dangerous.”

7. - Top - End - #637
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Grigor, human cleric

"Hm. Say, you wouldn't know anyone who is good with disguises? That would be a feat worthy in the eyes of Olidamarra to infiltrate their ranks disguised as their co-conspirators! Unfortunately, I'm more for the 'drink, dance and be merry' aspect and not so much for the trickery side of Olidamarra myself."

8. - Top - End - #638
    Ettin in the Playground

Slightly bemused, Elmo replies “We don’t have much call for that particular skill set around here. And right now, I’m more worried about the Badgers getting in trouble with that other group than infiltration. They’re not expecting that. They might need some backup.”

9. - Top - End - #639
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Grigor, human cleric

"Eh, I gotta ask. Comes with the calling. But then we should probably get on the move and come to the rescue before your Badgers get skinned."

10. - Top - End - #640
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

"I'll go on ahead, I can move faster than any of you. Maybe I can get there quick enough to provide a warning." With that, Tell's form shrinks down into an eagle, and takes off towards the moathouse.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Using shapechange to take aerial form, which has a fly speed of 40ft, plus can go in a straight line, as opposed to worrying about terrain. If he gets there in time, he'll warn the guards that cultists have returned to the moat house, and that reinforcements are on their way. If he doesn't, he'll join in the fight, help them fall back unless they are winning on their own.

---

"I agree, we should make all possible haste towards the moathouse."
    Last edited by Skjaldbakka; 2011-12-27 at 08:02 PM.
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

11. - Top - End - #641
    Ettin in the Playground

(( Anything you guys want to quick grab before heading out? Also, do you want Elmo to come with. What about Redithidoor (the bard that’s faded into the background)? Ranelath has officially disappeared. ))

The Moathouse: Planting 10, Evening

For its entire length, the road to the moathouse is deserted. Other than the fresh wagon-tracks there is no sign of sapient life.

As it has been for the past week, the air maintains an unseasonable chill that only grows as the sun drifts below the horizon. The fading light, however, becomes a boon, as it makes it easier for Tell to pick out the campfire just outside the moathouse as he draws near. In the light of the fire, he can make out the shapes of two wagons, two creatures that are probably packhorses or mules, and at least four or five humanoids.

12. - Top - End - #642
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Tell will fly overhead to get a better look. If possible, he'll land in a nearby tree within eavesdropping distance.
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

13. - Top - End - #643
    Ettin in the Playground

The Moathouse: Planting 10, Evening

As tell goes overhead, he can make out two men watching the entrance to the Moathouse. Another is tending to the fire. Two other figures remain close to the fire—one large and burly-looking, the other small and slim. The large one has the bushy beard Todariche mentioned. The other one appears to be wearing some sort of crown with two prominent points over the forehead. None of the figures look like Bellamin or Ricar, nor is their any sign of a petrified Kevril.

One of the men watching the temple looks up. For a split second, his eye seems to linger on Tell’s shape before he goes back to watching the Moathouse—without, it seems, the slightest idea of what he really just saw.

There are not very many trees near the Moathouse or campsite. In the end, he has to settle for a perch on the a broken down tower. Unfortunately, this perch is closest to the watchmen, whose conversation consists mostly of complaining about how they won’t get any sleep tonight—not the most interesting of conversation.

Fortunately, though, Tell is able to focus in on the more interesting conversation between the two figures on the opposite side of the fire.

“I’m not challenging your authority,” the smaller one says in a deep and raspy female voice, “I’m just telling you that they have to sleep sometime. We’ll go back in later tonight. It’s just a few hours.”

“Yeah, a few hours in which they could do some real damage to that statue we’re supposed to be getting,” replies the bigger one in a rich baritone.

“I told you, that’s nothing! The good stuff is the stuff we won’t be able to bring back, and stuff that they won’t be able to hurt. In fact, it is more likely to hurt them. Why don’t we give them some time to deal with that, eh, Jule?”

It takes a few seconds for this advice to sink in. But suddenly the big man bursts into a hearty laugh. “Hahahaha! Yeah! Hahahaha! Oh—heh! That’s great, Vacra. Why didn’t you say so in the first place? That oughtta thin their ranks some! Hehehaa!” Eventually, the laughs become yawns, and Jule says, “Well, no sense in us going in without any rest. I’m gonna take a nap. Just make sure I’m up when you are ready to send the beast in.” With that, the large man goes to one of the wagons and retrieves his bedroll.

14. - Top - End - #644
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Tell will land outside of the light near the camp, and change forms. He will then look for some nocturnal rodents, and try to convince them to sneak into the camp and gnaw through whatever rope or tether is keeping the pack animals from wandering away by casting Speak With Animals.

Handle Animal and/or Wild Empathy rolls for that, if applicable
    Handle Animal: (1d20+5)[22]
    Wild Empathy: (1d20+7)[15]

If that fails, he will cast Charm Animal to get them to help him.

Tell will then look for the giant toad, and try to convince it to go snack on the bandits guarding the entrance. He will cast Call Lightning before talking to the toad, but not call any lightning immediately (he has 6 minutes).

Handle Animal and/or Wild Empathy rolls for that, if applicable
    Handle Animal: (1d20+5)[14]
    Wild Empathy: (1d20+7)[16]

If that fails, and he didn't cast it for the rodents, he will cast Charm Animal on the giant toad to get him to help.

Tell will then call lightning, and have a lightning bolt strike near the pack animals to spook them. Once the spell is cast, he will change to aerial form and direct the lightning.

The goal is to spook the pack animals so that they run off, and some of the bandits run off to chase them, and maybe the toad will off a bandit or two while they are split up before it flees or is killed.

If it is possible to enter the moathouse without going past the bandits guarding the entrance (because Tell can fly in), then Tell will do that and let the toad fight on its own. If it isn't possible, he will assist the toad in aerial form, calling lightning down on the bandits, until he sees an opening to slip past them.

Edit- If he doesn't get the toad to help him, he will try to slip past to meet up with the guards if he can. If he can't, he'll regroup with the party instead of harassing the bandits solo.
    Last edited by Skjaldbakka; 2011-12-31 at 01:09 AM.
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

15. - Top - End - #645
    Ettin in the Playground

The Moathouse: Planting 10, Late Evening

(( Moving close to the camp for subterfuge, requires some stealth. Tell: Hide: 1d20=11, Move Siletnly: 1d20=17 ))

As Tell approaches the mule, the woman turns her head to the side. Suddenly, she stands up and turns around. She grabs a stick from a sheath under her cloak and points it directly at Tell. “I would hold whatever it is you are doing if I were you.”

At this, the man tending the fire turns around to see what is going on.

Edit:

(( Okay, yeah, sorry for the mix-up. Tell is not getting that close. But it takes a bit of time to find the mice and carry them back, so I am upping the current time to Late Evening. ))

Tell finds some mice in the marsh far enough from the moathouse and convinces them to help (( Wild Empathy high enough to upgrade Indifferent to Friendly )). He carries them as close as he dares to the campsite before letting them go to do their thing.

He is unable to find the toad. It appears to have moved on, or it may be hanging out closer to the campsite.

The lightning does spook the horse and mule. After they go running off, the woman orders the man by the fire and one of the watchmen to chase them down and retrieve them, shouting at the other to look for the spellcaster who conjured the misplaced lightning.

The napping man, being not very far from the lightning strike bolts upright and scrambles for the large sword nearby.

(( There are plenty of holes in the roof for Tell to enter the Moathouse unseen. ))
    Last edited by Shhalahr Windrider; 2012-01-09 at 09:12 PM.

16. - Top - End - #646
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Tell will use the distraction to slip past unnoticed, hopefully, and rendezvous with the guards.
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

17. - Top - End - #647
    Ettin in the Playground

The Moathouse: Planting 10, Late Evening

Tell gets in the moathouse without a problem. After exploring what appears to be an abandonded dungeon level, Tell finds that the team is camping out in the cave at the end of the secondary tunnel. There is a temporary standoff with suspicious Badgers (( not going to play it in the interest of speeding things along )), but Ricar and Bellamin vouch for Tell.

The team informs Tell that just as they were ready to bring Kevril up, these other folks arrived at the Moathouse. A fight broke out. Several of the Badgers and Bellamin were injured, but after they killed one of the intruders, the intruders retreated. Unsure of how many of these intruders there are, they retreated to the cave and are left with no way to transport Kevril, as the intruders have the wagon.

18. - Top - End - #648
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Tell will offer magical healing if there are any who are badly wounded, and let them know that reinforcements are on their way, giving a rough estimate of how long it will be before they arrive.

He will also look for the statue the cultists mentioned.
    Last edited by Skjaldbakka; 2012-01-14 at 05:30 PM.
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

19. - Top - End - #649
    Ettin in the Playground

The Moathouse: Planting 10, Early Night

Only one of the Badgers is wounded badly enough to require medical attention from Tell.

Meanwhile, up above, Grigor and Megiddo near the Moathouse. At a distance, they can see the firelight and make out shadows. There appears to be a fair bit of activity around one of two wagons. It looks like there is a large box on this wagon.

(( Gonna try and get an updated Moathouse surface map with a bit more land to the south tomorrow… ))

20. - Top - End - #650
    Ettin in the Playground

(( New Moathouse Map Up: Turn #1 ))

21. - Top - End - #651
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Megiddo will move forward and concentrate on one of the burning logs in the campfire. It jerks towards the bandit tending the fire, striking at him (or her).

(1d20+8)[22] to hit
    (1d6+6)[12] damage
    Last edited by Skjaldbakka; 2012-01-19 at 12:33 AM.
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

22. - Top - End - #652
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Grigor, human cleric

As the party approaches the camp and they can spot the campfire, Grigor stops for a moment.

"Right, there we are. So there are potentially some enemies over there. How should we proceed? I sure could ask for Olidamarra's blessing for this if it comes to a fight. And you Tell, you could make do with some divine shielding. How about that?"

While he confers with his allies about how to proceed from here, he readies his own short bow. Best to get in a shot or two before you have to resort to melee.

Of course then Megiddo starts getting proactive.

"*sigh* all right, Tell Megiddo, have Olidamrra's blessed protection... " the cleric says and casts Shield of Faith on the chain-swinging warrior fire-slinging wizard.
    Last edited by Lycar; 2012-01-20 at 03:32 PM.

23. - Top - End - #653
    Ettin in the Playground

(( Lycar: As Skja said in OOC, Tell is inside the Moathouse with the NPCs. Care to use Grigor’s action for something else? ))

Surprise Round

The log practically leaps out of the fire at the cloaked woman standing nearby, striking her in the belly. She screams in pain and the people around the wagon immediately drop what they are doing to see what is going on.

(( Map Turn #2, Grigor is up. ))
    Last edited by Shhalahr Windrider; 2012-01-19 at 08:37 PM.

24. - Top - End - #654
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show

Initiative: (1d20+3)[17]
    If Megiddo goes before the bandits in the normal round, will attack again with the burning log. Otherwise, it will depend on what they do. Not rolling the attack roll (+8) or damage roll (1d6+6) in advance, because I don't want those dice roll results to effect my decision if I don't go first.

If you'd like to hit Megiddo with the Shield of Faith, I'd be cool with that :p. I'm low on power points, so didn't re-up my Inertial Armor.
    Last edited by Skjaldbakka; 2012-01-20 at 11:59 AM.
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

25. - Top - End - #655
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Grigor, human cleric

Grigor decides to get closer for a better shot with his bow and advances 40' northwards.

26. - Top - End - #656
    Ettin in the Playground

(( Initiative
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Bearded Man (18+)
    2. Half-Orc (18)
    3. Megiddo (17)
    4. Vacra (10)
    5. Humans (8)
    6. Grigor (1d20=3)
    ))

Surprise Round (cont.)

Grigor casts a spell of protection upon Megiddo.

Round 1
    A large figure near the wagons quickly scans around, particularly down the road. His booming voice erupts, “Check down the road! I think I saw something! You! Open the box and let our pet get them!” He quickly falls silent, and a strange glow begins to form in the air not more than thirty feet from him.

The creature directly behind the wagon climbs onto the back of the wagon.

(( Guessing Megiddo may want to do the something else… ))

(( Map #3 (Box is being rendered on top of Half-Orc. Select him to see his position. ))
    Last edited by Shhalahr Windrider; 2012-01-24 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Correct Initiative

27. - Top - End - #657
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Megiddo considers the situation, but lacking the focus to manifest any powers to stop the half-orc from opening the box, he continues with his original plan, directing the animated log to roll over to the still startled human guard, striking at him while he is flat-footed.

(1d20+8)[11] to hit
    (1d6+6)[10] damage
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

28. - Top - End - #658
    Ettin in the Playground

Round 1 (cont.)

The log leaps and knocks the figure down. She does not get up. ((Yay, flat-footed AC and high damage. ))

The man near the wagon holding a lantern starts to move down the road towards Grigor and Megiddo. “Who’s there!” he shouts.

Grigor closes in on the bandits.

Round 2

The glowing lights form into some sort of planar rift and two creatures that look to be made of burning coal step forth. They immediately close in on Grigor.

The large man shouts, “Hurry up!” to the figure on the wagon and begins to advance towards Grigor. A second latter, a high pitched ringing echoes in Grigor’s ears and he suddenly feels like he is being pummeled by the very air itself (( 9 damage )).

The man on the wagon finishes opening the box, and suddenly whatever is inside lets out a monstrous screech.

(( Megiddo is up ))

(( Map #4 ))

29. - Top - End - #659
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Spellcraft: (1d20+17)[21] to identify the spell cast on Grigor
    Knowledge: Planes (1d20+15)[25] to identify the summoned creatures
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

30. - Top - End - #660
    Ettin in the Playground

It didn’t look like a spell. It looked more like a psionic concussion blast.

The creatures appear to be a type of fire elemental known as an emberling. Emberlings possess a handful of psionic abilities and have been known to occasionally enter the service of a particularly talented psion.