New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 39 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil (IC): Thread 2

Grigor, human cleric.

"Huh." says Grigor. He had heared about men (and women) who could summon an inner reserve of strength in battle, making them tougher and stronger, but leaving them weakened once they ran out. Apparently that was what happened here.

He checks the man to see if he requires some immediate medical attention to keep him alive and then goes about to thoroughly search him for any hidden weapons. Or any hidden anythings for that matter.

"All right then," he calls out to the militia men, "seems like we have them subdued. Let's search them and make sure they are securely gagged and binded before we cart them off to town. Don't wanna have any nasty surprises, now do we."
    "I don't function in society. I'm a mercenary. I blow society up."

Cpl. Shore Pibald, Schlock Mercenary.

Quote Originally Posted by NecroRebel View Post
    ... Music ... causes Bards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riffington View Post
    Bah. Lycar is absolutely right.

2. - Top - End - #722
    Ettin in the Playground

The Moathouse: Planting 10, Early Night

(( +8 to Heal, Grigor automatically stabilizes the guy… ))

Grigor attends to the man’s wounds and is able to see that he will likely survive, given enough care. Of the remaining foes, only one of the human guards and the tentacle worm are beyond any hope. The rest will also survive with a modicum of care.

Ricar and the badgers help secure them.

Items confiscated from the cultists include (( Gonna assume Megiddo detects magic on them eventually )):

• Bearded Man
      • silver pearl
      • 22 gp
      • 21 sp
      • 15 cp
      • deep crystal falchion
      • medium breastplate (faint abjuration)
      • small purple crystal pin (faint evocation, transmutation)
      • small grey crystal necklace (faint evocation)
      • additionally, there is a tattoo on his neck in the shape of some sort of rune that gives of a faint transmutation aura
    • Vacra (woman by the fire)
      • 2 scrolls (each faint abjuration)
      • 2 wand (one faint evocation, one faint transmutation)
      • dagger
      • bracers (moderate conjuration)
      • 5 gp
      • 39 sp
      • 20 cp
    • Half-orc
      • Greatsword
      • Hide armor (faint abjuration)
      • potion of speak with animals (( Megiddo can identify by taking 10 on Spellcraft ))
      • Necklace bearing a mummified hand (faint transmutation)
      • potion of cure light wounds
      • 10 gp
      • 3 sp
      • 12 cp
    • Human Guards
      • 2 bastard swords
      • 2 sets of scale armor
      • 2 lanterns
      • 2 light crossbows
      • 20 bolts
      • pair of carved bone dice
      • 11 gp
      • 35 sp
      • 42 cp
    • Around the Camp
      • miscellaneous camping supplies (pots, pans, shovels, rope, spare lanterns, etc.)
      • heavy crossbow
      • 40 bolts
      • Someone’s spellbook
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

3. - Top - End - #723
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Megiddo will use detect magic and gather up the magical items for future identification. Seeing some scrolls and a spell book, he will cast Read Magic to study them further.

--

Tell will offer to help the soldiers to recover their petrified comrade and bring him out to the cart as well.
    Last edited by Skjaldbakka; 2012-05-02 at 05:21 AM.
    Aratos Tell
    HP:53/53 AC:19,FlatFooted:16,Touch:13
    Active Effects: Speak w/Animals
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    HP:26/26 PP: 40/40 AC:14,FlatFooted:13,Touch:13
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

4. - Top - End - #724
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Grigor, human cleric

Once he has dealt with the wounded prisoners, Grigor helps sorting out the loot.

To the victors go the spoils! But when he comes across the mummified hand necklace he pauses.

"... that thing? I want that. So I can burn it!"

5. - Top - End - #725
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Megiddo briefly considers the merits of arguing against the pointlessness and inefficiency of destroying a magical item because of its appearance alone, and then decides it is not worth the effort. Boccob is called the Uncaring, after all.

He instead hands over the object without comment.
    Aratos Tell
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

6. - Top - End - #726
    Ettin in the Playground

“I think it is best that we learn what it does before we try to dispose of it,” Ricar says. “Something like that could have some significance. Or it could simply have an… unpleasant reaction to fire.” One of the Badgers murmurs in agreement.
    Last edited by Shhalahr Windrider; 2012-05-07 at 08:58 PM.

7. - Top - End - #727
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Grigor, human cleric

Grigor gives Ricar and the other Badgers a look.

"Well? And you got a capable arcanist ready and willing to identify this.. thing for us?"

8. - Top - End - #728
    Ettin in the Playground

“If he feels it is important, Burne is bound to take a look at it,” the other Badger says.

9. - Top - End - #729
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Grigor, human cleric

"Fine. Then let this Burne have a look at the accursed thing once we have taken care of the prisoners." says Grigor.

10. - Top - End - #730
    Ettin in the Playground

(( Last call before fast-tracking back to Hommlet ))

11. - Top - End - #731
    Ettin in the Playground

(( Oh, I totally forgot to mention that the woman named Vacra—the one the animated log pretty well took out right away—has small horns on her forehead. Megiddo is easily able to identify her as a tiefling. ))

Hommlet: Planting 11, Early Afternoon

All items of note are gathered up on the wagon. The unconscious prisoners are all secured and put under watch for the rest of the night. Although almost everyone agrees it would be more pleasant to camp outside, many want to stay in the cave where they can keep watch over the petrified Kevril. Still, a guard is posted at the Moathouse gate.

Ricar informs Megiddo and Grigor that the Badgers had arrived about an hour before the cultists. They had just begun moving Kevril when they heard noise coming from above. They were able to surprise the cultists and killed one of them in a brief scuffle before the cultists retreated out of the Moathouse. Evidently, the cultists were unaware how badly off the militia members were, because rather than mount another attack, the cultists initiated the standoff that Tell found while scouting.

By morning, all the prisoners barely regain consciousness. The Badgers and Ricar recommend putting off any sort of interrogation until reaching Hommlet, where there will be more time and resources to do such properly.

Extra gear is loaded onto one wagon, and Kevril is loaded onto the second, with two milita members to make sure he stays stable.

Just after lunch, the group arrives back in Hommlet. As they reach the village, one of the Badgers asks Grigor, Tell, and Megiddo if they wish to accompany the rest of the group all the way back to the keep, where they will deliver the prisoners and all suspicious gear.

(( Back in Hommlet! Yay! ))

12. - Top - End - #732
    Ettin in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil (IC): Thread 2

Back in Hommlet! New Players, don’t be shy. If you see an opportunity to introduce yourselves, go right ahead.

13. - Top - End - #733
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

A strange man is sitting with Hommlet's blacksmith, deeply engaged in conversation while honing a spear that sat in his lap. He is remarkable only in the fact that he wears thick leather shoulderpads, upon which sit two owls, one white as snow, and the other black as soot. He looks up at the strange party, as they roll by in wagons heavy with cargo, but otherwise does not break from his conversation. They seem to be talking about ways to hone and temper steel for use in hunting beasts and men, but he seems strangely against weighting himself down with steel armor. Any other details of the conversation seem like so much gibberish to those not familiar with the working of metal.
    Spoiler
    Show

Elias

Trent:
    Spoiler
    Show

STR 10 DEX 17 CON 10 INT 13 WIS 14 CHA 8
    HP 6/6 AC 13 Spot/Listen +6
    Spells
    Level 0: 3/4 Level 1: 4/4
    Fort +0 Ref +3 Will +5

14. - Top - End - #734
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Edit- the night before

Tell would have taken 10 to treat Megiddo's wounds, allowing him to heal completely with a night's rest (he has a +5 Heal).

That morning, Megiddo would have prepared and cast prestidigitation and mending to mend and clean his robes and other gear.

--
    The gray elf in blue robes traveling with the group glances over towards the unusual figure briefly, and then towards a large black flannish(?) human with dreadlocks, with a spiked chain draped rather casually across his shoulders. The human will walk over to introduce himself.

"Hello there, I don't believe I've seen you in town before," he says, subtly making a secret druidic hand-sign. "My name is Tell, and my friend over there is Megiddo," he says, gesturing towards the elf.
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

15. - Top - End - #735

PirateGuy

"My thanks for the kind welcome. I am called Moonshadow. I've just arrived here, following tales of corruption, trying to find and eliminate their source." He looks over at the prisoners. "From the looks of your cargo, it seems as if you are in the business of fighting evil as well? I didn't expect to find another of the faith so far from my home."
    Spoiler
    Show

Elias

Trent:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spells
    Fort +0 Ref +3 Will +5

16. - Top - End - #736
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

The elf turns and walks up to join the conversation. As he does you notice the sword at his side, which seems like it doesn't see much use, although appears to be all made. Other than a simple leather bag, he doesn't seem to carry anything else.

"I thought that he might be a member of your faith, Tell. If he is interested in rooting out corruption, it would be acceptable for him to accompany us as we continue to investigate this cult."

--

Tell will look over at him. "He might still be a doppleganger, but there is one way to find out." Tell will cast Speak with Animals and ask the owls on his shoulder "hoot, hoot, feather rustle, squak, whistle*"

*In bird "Is this guy who he says he is?"
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

17. - Top - End - #737
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Grigor, human cleric

At first Grigor isn't really in the mood to deal with even more strangers and would rather make sure the prisoners are properly taken care off. The spellcasting ones for example.

But then both Tell and Megiddo decide to check the man out and Grigor decides to stick with them. No use to split the party. And just hoping that there won't be bad things happening at the prison. There is always hoping.

When he picks up a few snippets of the conversation between the blacksmith and the stranger, he perks up tough. After all, he himself knows a thing about forging a sword or two himself.

"More like fighting evil people really. Saying to 'fight evil' is saying to 'fight cold' or 'fight winter'. It doesn't work that way. But allow me to ask, you seem to be knowledgeable in the ways of the forge?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Grigor is a bearded man in his mid-twenties, wearing a full plate with some armour spikes. Those seem to have been added as an afterthought. On his back he wears a one-and-a-half handed sword in a scabbard. There is also a hunting bow slung over his shoulder and a morning star dangling from his belt. He is wielding a buckler on his left arm.

Painted on the breastplate is the holy symbol of Olidamarra, although not by a very skilled hand.
    Last edited by Lycar; 2012-05-21 at 02:58 PM.

18. - Top - End - #738
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

"Actually, there are entities of literal pure evil in the universe. It is the sworn duty of some to keep those entities away from the material plane."
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

19. - Top - End - #739

PirateGuy

"Well said. I strive to keep evil from harming our world, keeping the natural balance. I was taught balance in all things, part of which is self reliance. Hence, I have been crafting my own weapons since before I began my travels. Though I still must seek out others to imbue them with power.

He waves his spear through the air once, to display the fine edge of the metal head, and its muted blue glow.
    Spoiler
    Show

Elias

Trent:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spells
    Fort +0 Ref +3 Will +5

20. - Top - End - #740
    Ettin in the Playground

“Well, we have to get these lugs where they won’t harm anyone,” the head Badger interjects. “If you want to keep chatting, be my guest, but we are moving on.”

Tell, Moonshadow, and Grigor can’t help but notice that the bearded human and tiefling seem to be paying close attention to the conversation.

21. - Top - End - #741
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

"We have some business we need to attend to. If you would like, you can meet up with us later today at the inn. Unless you would prefer to accompany us?"
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

22. - Top - End - #742

PirateGuy

"My business here is complete. I will accept your invitation, and continue this intriguing conversation" He turns to the smith. "My thanks for the conversation, and the use of your forge." Moonshadow packs up his supplies and is ready to accompany Tell and Grigor.
    Spoiler
    Show

Elias

Trent:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spells
    Fort +0 Ref +3 Will +5

23. - Top - End - #743
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Grigor, human cleric

"Well then let us take care of those miscreants first. Talk later." Grigor says, seemingly unwilling to put off incarcerating the cultists any longer then unavoidable.

24. - Top - End - #744
    Ettin in the Playground

The group escorts the cart full of prisoners to the Keep on the edge of town. The procession naturally draws some attention from passers by, but they all know to keep their distance and most are polite enough to save their whispers for behind closed doors.

Again, Megiddo, Grigor, and Tell are asked to wait in the courtyard along with Ricar while the prisoners are taken inside. Belamin, though, is given the option of entering inside to talk with Burne. However, he declines, preferring to stay with his petrified brother until they can move him to safer spot.

(( And, I guess Cade is somewhere around… ))

25. - Top - End - #745
    Dwarf in the Playground

The keep door opens and a unassuming halfling walks out calling over his shoulder, "Thank you for understanding that this was was all a big misunderstanding sir. You have a good day." The halfling is clothed plainly with a small pack on his back, a bright dagger on his belt and a short bow on his back. He fixes his brown hair as his equally brown eyes fall on the group in front of him.

"Now look fellas, I didn't do anything wrong. Ask the chief himself. I'm just a traveler, that's all," Cade tried to give a good smile.
    Thanks very much to Vrythas for my avatar!

Nunes Kryst Playing in the College
    Caylyn Esuzam Just my favorite character I've played
    Battelo MathewsPlaying in Wizardly Graduation
    Maxwell RentulPlaying in Some Campaign
    Cade BlackbottleReturn to the Temple of Elemental Evil

26. - Top - End - #746
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Grigor, human cleric

Grigor watches as the militiamen escort the captives into the keep. Hopefully someone in there knows how to handle spellcasters...

Then, suddenly, a wild halfling appears.

Grigor listens to the little man's spiel and glances over at Tell and Megiddo.

"There seem to be a lot of strangers about lately..."

Turning to the halfling, Grigor asks "And you are certain you are not a member of some evil cult by any chance?" giving him a scrutinizing stare.

Spoiler
    Show
    Grigor could roll Sense Motive [rol]1d20+8[/roll] to judge the halfling's reaction.

27. - Top - End - #747
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Megiddo will raise an eyebrow at the halfling's comment, and Grigor's subsequent query, but offer no other response.

--

Tell will reply, "And what manner of misunderstanding would that be, friend?"
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

28. - Top - End - #748
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cade scoffed and eyed the group, "You're actually serious about the evil cult thing? Wow, tough crowd. I'm not evil and I don't belong to no one. Name is Cade Blackbottle. Everyone just sees a small, unassuming person with fancy items and they assume thief."

Cade ran his hand through his hair, "So what's all this then?"
    Last edited by CaylynEsuzam; 2012-06-03 at 08:12 PM.
    Thanks very much to Vrythas for my avatar!

Nunes Kryst Playing in the College
    Caylyn Esuzam Just my favorite character I've played
    Battelo MathewsPlaying in Wizardly Graduation
    Maxwell RentulPlaying in Some Campaign
    Cade BlackbottleReturn to the Temple of Elemental Evil

29. - Top - End - #749
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Grigor, human cleric

"Hrmph, maybe that is because people only remember those people who did them harm. If that happens to be a small, unassuming halfing making off with their purse, then forever on all halflings are thieves. That's how the world works I'm afraid. But either way, I'd rather deal with a honest thief then the kind of murderous scum we had to deal with."

Grigor crosses his arms in front of his chest as he speaks, thus mostly obscuring the holy symbol painted on his breastplate.

30. - Top - End - #750
    Ettin in the Playground

Hommlet, Afternoon

After some time, Rufus comes back out to the courtyard to bring Kevril into the keep. This time, Bellamin goes inside with them.

After another hour or so, Rufus returns again and addresses Megiddo, Tell, and Grigor.

“I’ve gotten a decent overview of the situation from my men and Bellamin. Do you three wish to make a statement?”