New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: [3e] Taking Creative Build Requests

Request #10 (finally)

Comments: Mulled this over for a while. A number of the other options in this thread fill this slot, most notably #2, although one could do something along the lines of #6 with a transmuter and call it a day. In the end, I'm just going to recycle something I've been working on myself. It's not the most original result, but does dance around PrC entry requirements in a way that made me happy

Concept: Melee warrior with ski||z
    Race/Class: Human Ranger 5 / Swordsage 2 / Daggerspell Shaper X
    Components: Wildshape ranger variant, Assassin's Stance.
    Result: All your levels are 6+int skills and with significantly different skill lists, you'll get your 4th iterative attack by lvl20, you get reasonable ranger spellcasting, and you kick copious amounts of buttocks in melee. I recommend spending most of your time as a housecat, and be The Cat That Killed The Commoner.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Okay, let's see if you can come to conclusions similar to mine.
    Request #12
    I would like a character with stealth, magic, and melee abilities, able to use all three and incapacitate or kill a foe before they even get an action. Also, he should have some form of dinosaur sidekick.
    If you need D20 optimization advice or real-life advice, my PM box is always open.
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    Hail unto thee Jalor, First Favoured of the Carbonation Gods!
    Quote Originally Posted by Syka View Post
    I now confess my undying admiration of Jalor. You are a god amongst men for that surprisingly subtle use of Firefly.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    You're #11. I still haven't answered #10 (but will soon).

Request #11

Actually, I just posted one over in the CW Samurai thread.

Concept: Cha-based warrior
    Race/Class: Human Fighter 2 / CW Samurai X
    Components: Weapon Focus feats for both your weapons, Combat Expertise, Circlet of Persuasion, Skill Focus: Perform, optimized Charisma.
    Result: Check that other threads for details, but basically you've got yourself one really solid general. Make thousands upon thousands of troops that much better than the enemy, force any enemy troops that approach you to flee, and fight with Crescent Moon inside an AMF if there's something you really can't scare away.
    That's not a fighter, that's a leader. I asked for a guy who could "run up there and kick ass". This one can't do anything himself, just get his millions of lackeys to do it.
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Request #13
    Character whose main point of focus are the cloud of knives, ring of blades, and similar spells: that is, spells that toss lots of bits of metal into the air which may or may not zing off into targets. Bonus points if they come out with a decent attack bonus and are a spontaneous, rather than prepared, caster.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

Request #14

A party buffer that is around level 14. I would like them to be able to hold their own in combat while focusing on aiding other party members. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by expirement10K14; 2009-08-18 at 07:52 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgondantess View Post
    That's not a fighter, that's a leader. I asked for a guy who could "run up there and kick ass". This one can't do anything himself, just get his millions of lackeys to do it.
    Hey, I believe I explicitly stated that you shouldn't expect a straighforward answer. Besides, the guy may be a CW Samurai, but he's still full-BaB, loaded up with all sorts of combat feats, and the AMF-torc idea (or Scrolls of AMF, since he'll actually be able to pull that off). And he's still got Leadership. Use a few of the minions for Assist Other nanobots, and... well, he still won't win any awards, but with good equipment he should still be able to duke it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    Request #13
    Character whose main point of focus are the cloud of knives, ring of blades, and similar spells: that is, spells that toss lots of bits of metal into the air which may or may not zing off into targets. Bonus points if they come out with a decent attack bonus and are a spontaneous, rather than prepared, caster.
    Comments: for once, I'll do basically what you asked for, since I find the result highly amusing!

Request #13

Concept: metal bits zinging through the air!
    Race/Class: Human Warmage
    Components: Ring of Blades spell, Cloud of Knives spell (via Eclectic Learning), Wraithstrike spell, Obtain Familiar feat, Extra Familiar feat as many times as you can take it (yay flaws)
    Result: Assuming you go all out, at level 6 you can have six familiars. Rampantly abuse Share Spell, and you've got more metal bits zinging through the air than anyone (especially your enemies) could possibly want!

Bubs the Commoner

Spoiler
    Show
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jalor View Post
    Request #12
    I would like a character with stealth, magic, and melee abilities, able to use all three and incapacitate or kill a foe before they even get an action. Also, he should have some form of dinosaur sidekick.
    I'm not going to do a full build here, since that's the OP's job, but this screams one of two things: A Cleric/Crusader/Ruby Knight Vindicator OR a Factotum. Factotums can do everything, and they can get enough extra Standard Actions to off the enemy before the enemy gets a turn.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd like you to build me a Warforged who can hit hard with its fists, blast at short to medium range with spells/psionics/invocations/whatever--untyped damage preferred, but not required--and do some healing too.

Bonus points if it can sing and dance.
    Currently playing: Jathal Darsha'an; Linie

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey, I believe I explicitly stated that you shouldn't expect a straighforward answer.
    It's not that it wasn't straightforward- it's that it didn't meet the criteria.

10. - Top - End - #40

A dual-caster progression that is able to reach full spellcasting in both classes. The character is also quite insane.
    Last edited by Mongoose87; 2009-08-18 at 11:30 PM.
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Concept: metal bits zinging through the air!
    Race/Class: Human Warmage
    Components: Ring of Blades spell, Cloud of Knives spell (via Eclectic Learning), Wraithstrike spell, Obtain Familiar feat, Extra Familiar feat as many times as you can take it (yay flaws)
    Result: Assuming you go all out, at level 6 you can have six familiars. Rampantly abuse Share Spell, and you've got more metal bits zinging through the air than anyone (especially your enemies) could possibly want!
    Hm. Can you share spells with homonculi as an artificer?

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

Request
    Build me a Tier One build for the Test of Spite based around the steel dragon wyrmling, and then submit it for vetting. ;)
    Last edited by Doc Roc; 2009-08-19 at 12:05 AM.
    Lagren: I took Livers Need Not Apply, only reflavoured.
    DocRoc: to?
    Lagren: So whenever Harry wisecracks, he regains HP.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by boomwolf View Post
    Hummm...Lets see if I can brake your creativity.

A HUMAN using 5 weapons at once, all must be effective, no summoning/shapeshifting allowed.
    Human psychic warrior 20, using Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Greater Two-Weapon Fighting, Illithid Grapple (x4), bite of the wolf, psionic lion's charge, and the Ride-by Attack and Spirited Charge feats, who wields two +1 manyfanged lances of suppression and an animated spiked shield.

He has 6 lance attacks (each at x7 damage, just for spite), a shield bash, bite attack and 4 tentacle attacks (each at x2 damage).

Granted, he only has 8 weapons, but that would increase if he could use, say, form of doom, for four additional tentacle attacks. Add Power Attack, Combat Reflexes, a psicrystal with a skin of proteus metamorphosis'd into a 7-headed hydra, and a few more charging feats, and...
    Last edited by Lycanthromancer; 2009-08-19 at 12:51 AM.

14. - Top - End - #44

Quote Originally Posted by Jalor View Post
    Request #12
    Your conclusion was Druid 20?

Aside from that, check out my answer to #3. It's right up your alley already, minus the Dinosaur sidekick. You can pick that up via Leadership, being in Eberron and making friends with Halflings, or just buying an egg of someone somehow. I'd come up with something more tailored, but "awesome at everything" is the sort of build that gets played out in more traditional optimization settings. There isn't a whole lot of fun to be had there.

I have some ideas for some of the other requests, they'll get posted once they're slightly more fleshed out.

Bubs the Commoner

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    Hm. Can you share spells with homonculi as an artificer?
    I've never seen anything to suggest you can. Symbiotes also spring to mind, but again there's issues there with sharing spells. Beastmaster can get a lot of Animal Companions, which might be worth looking into, and I'm sure some dumpster diving will serve you well.

It's not that it wasn't straightforward- it's that it didn't meet the criteria.
    Dude - Full BAB, all d10 HD, almost all feats are combat-oriented. You're complaining because it doesn't do things the way you thought it would, in a thread where I specifically stated I wasn't going to give people straightforward builds? I have news for you, I'm doing these thing to entertain myself and hopefully a few others along the way, not cater to your every whim. You want a serious build, either take it here, or start offering me something in return. I'm not a build-slave.

Quote Originally Posted by Tidesinger View Post
    Request
    Build me a Tier One build for the Test of Spite based around the steel dragon wyrmling, and then submit it for vetting. ;)
    lol. For that level of effort, what are you offering me in return? ;)

Request #15

There's a brilliant and hilarious build for this already out there. Unfortunately, gleemax is down yet again, but here's the basis. Total credit goes to JanusJones btw.

Concept: Warforged short/medium range warrior
    Race/Class: Warforged Warblade (or Warblade/Crusader)
    Components: Shocking Fist feat, Lightning Throw maneuver (optional: Aura of Chaos)
    Result: You're a ToBer with all the melee pwnage that describes. You can also propel your fists in a 30 foot line, hitting all enemies in the way for massive lightning damage via Shocking Fist. Crusaders also get some healing. Unfortunately, neither Crusaders nor Warblades get Perform: song or dance, so you're out of luck on that end.

Requests 14 and 16 will get taken care of eventually.

Bubs the Commoner

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

You can take Apprentice: Performer from DMG II. :)

For #16:

Alexa Thomburst

"Tell Them, Still Angry"
    Aasimar, Neutral Evil
    Alexa spent most of her early life in the war-torn reaches of Acheron, unable to escape, compelled by her very blood to continue fighting. Her mother was killed at a tremendously early age, and the battalion that her father belong to was wiped out moments thereafter. Alexa hid in the iron rubble of the torn cube, waiting, silent, afraid, in fact fundamentally terrified. This would be her home, as she scavenged and struggled for the next twenty eight years, holding her little patch of ground like you or I might cling to the last life boat. Unable to escape Acheron, unwilling to trust any travelers, Alexa suffered immensely, often starving for a week or more between meals. She came, with some rapidity, to hate her blood and the font in the heavens where it sprang from and to worship the conflict she was confined by. Her ultimate escape to Faerun was almost completely accidental, in fact, and almost reluctant.

Your background here? This is a woman who literally doesn't understand the idea of bounty or surplus, and remains confused by it. She's not going to hurt you unless you try to take what's hers, be it a sword, a friend, or an apple.

LA Buy-off
    Bard 4-> Sanctum Spell -> Eldritch Knight 4 ->Ur Priest 2/Sublime Chord 1/ Foc Lyrist 9

3+4+1+9 = 17 BAB
    3rd level Bardic Casting, Double Nines, 17 BAB, Leave Me ALONE.
    5 Classes, one of them taken almost to completion.
    Bind Impulse boots using Open Least Chakra
    Torture a druid for druidic language.
    Skills may be hard to hit now.

[RIGHT]S'an old build. I could probably do much better these days.[RIGHT]
    Last edited by Doc Roc; 2009-08-19 at 01:34 AM.

17. - Top - End - #47

Quote Originally Posted by Tidesinger View Post
    You can take Apprentice: Performer from DMG II. :)

For #16:

Alexa Thomburst

"Tell Them, Still Angry"
    Aasimar, Neutral Evil
    Alexa spent most of her early life in the war-torn reaches of Acheron, unable to escape, compelled by her very blood to continue fighting. Her mother was killed at a tremendously early age, and the battalion that her father belong to was wiped out moments thereafter. Alexa hid in the iron rubble of the torn cube, waiting, silent, afraid, in fact fundamentally terrified. This would be her home, as she scavenged and struggled for the next twenty eight years, holding her little patch of ground like you or I might cling to the last life boat. Unable to escape Acheron, unwilling to trust any travelers, Alexa suffered immensely, often starving for a week or more between meals. She came, with some rapidity, to hate her blood and the font in the heavens where it sprang from and to worship the conflict she was confined by. Her ultimate escape to Faerun was almost completely accidental, in fact, and almost reluctant.

Your background here? This is a woman who literally doesn't understand the idea of bounty or surplus, and remains confused by it. She's not going to hurt you unless you try to take what's hers, be it a sword, a friend, or an apple.

LA Buy-off
    Bard 4-> Sanctum Spell -> Eldritch Knight 4 ->Ur Priest 2/Sublime Chord 1/ Foc Lyrist 9

3+4+1+9 = 17 BAB
    3rd level Bardic Casting, Double Nines, 17 BAB, Leave Me ALONE.
    5 Classes, one of them taken almost to completion.
    Bind Impulse boots using Open Least Chakra
    Torture a druid for druidic language.
    Skills may be hard to hit now.

[RIGHT]S'an old build. I could probably do much better these days.[RIGHT]
    Oooooh, fancy.

Ok, here's one we were tossing over at a friend's place tonight - a sixth level character with six different classes that isn't teh suck.
    Last edited by Mongoose87; 2009-08-19 at 01:45 AM.
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

Easy
    xxxxx 5/ Chameleon 1

Oh. Oh I see, actual classes. ;)

Binder
    Fighter
    Warblade
    Crusader
    Swordsage
    Ur-Priest

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

Dude - Full BAB, all d10 HD, almost all feats are combat-oriented. You're complaining because it doesn't do things the way you thought it would, in a thread where I specifically stated I wasn't going to give people straightforward builds? I have news for you, I'm doing these thing to entertain myself and hopefully a few others along the way, not cater to your every whim. You want a serious build, either take it here, or start offering me something in return. I'm not a build-slave.
    Alright, fine. I suppose I had unrealistic expectations.

Well then, what do you want in return? I'm interested in seeing what you can come up with- thus far, the build ideas have generally been rather inventive.

20. - Top - End - #50

Alright, fine. I suppose I had unrealistic expectations.

Well then, what do you want in return? I'm interested in seeing what you can come up with- thus far, the build ideas have generally been rather inventive.
    Well, if you're going to actually commission a build from me, I would accept payment in the form of a shiny new avatar within the limits of your abilities, and would give you exactly what you ask for within the limits of my abilities (unlike here, where I take a starting point and toss out whatever I find most amusing). I have a couple charisma-based ideas percolating already.

Request #17 (14 and 16 coming tomorrow probably)

Comment: I'm doing this first because it's more straightforward and the idea just leaped out at me. Also, there's a slight houserule, in that I'm allowing the character to take a feat they don't qualify for yet, under the condition that they lose access to it at any point in time they don't qualify for it. Basically the result is that they take the feat at level 3 but can only start using it ("using it" includes both the listed benefit, and qualifying for other feats/PrCs) at level 4/5.

Concept: Massively Multiclassed
    Race/Class: Human Barbarian 1 / PsiWar 1 / Crusader 1 / Fighter 1 / Ranger 1 / Warblade 1
    Components: Extra Rage feat, Power Attack feat, Psionic Weapon feat, Instant Clarity feat, Deep Impact feat
    Result: Rage, Power Attack with any of your maneuvers as a touch attack via Deep Impact, and do the same every turn via Instant Clarity. Fighter and Ranger are honestly kinda dummy levels here and could possibly be improved to something else full-BAB that offers more. Still, Fighter gives you another feat to work with in a pretty tight build and Ranger lets you use CLW wands if nothing else.

Bubs the Commoner

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Request 18
    32PB character with 3.5PHB Monk levels and 3.5PHB Monk levels only of at least level 5 that can beat a fully optimized (with effective spells, stats, feats, items and strategy) 32PB Wizard with newly refreshed spells of the same ECL & Wealth without any skill checks with a higher than 50% chance.

Yes, I like Wish-wording :) And yes, I'd like to see you try :P

22. - Top - End - #52

Quote Originally Posted by ozgun92 View Post
    Request 18
    32PB character with 3.5PHB Monk levels and 3.5PHB Monk levels only of at least level 5 that can beat a fully optimized (with effective spells, stats, feats, items and strategy) 32PB Wizard with newly refreshed spells of the same ECL & Wealth without any skill checks with a higher than 50% chance.

Yes, I like Wish-wording :) And yes, I'd like to see you try :P
    Two problems: one, you've got a serious Schrodinger's Wizard connundrum. If I make a Wizard and beat the Wizard, all you have to do is say the Wizard was not sufficiently optimized. Is the Wizard optimized for killing monks? Or is there some objective standard for optimization, with some particular Wizard that all agree is "fully" optimized?

Secondly..... 50% chance on skill checks? What?

Bubs the Commoner

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53

Request A: Optimize alcohol usage

By which I mean tell me the most useful things you can do with for alcohol in DnD, such as poisoning yourself.

Request B: Optimize Con

How many things can be done with Con? Ie, Con to AC, Will saves, etc. I'm looking for Con to attack or damage right now.

Request C: Can you roll the two into a build? (Information will be used to improve an existing build)
    Last edited by Pharaoh's Fist; 2009-08-19 at 04:10 AM.

24. - Top - End - #54

Actuallly....

Request #18

Wizard
    Race/Class: Venerable Grey Elf Focused Specialist Transmuter 3 / Master Specialist 2
    Feats: Faerie Mysteries Initiate, Spell Focus: Transmutation, (B) Skill Focus: Spellcraft, (B) Scribe Scroll

I think we can all agree that's a pretty rock-solid optimized basis for a Wizard of that level. Huge hitpoints, huge Int, fast access to actual class features, and heavy one of the two strongest disciplines. I could have used Conjurer, but I've already had one of those in this thread and I like variety. Suffice it to say it works either way.

Monk
    Race/Class: Human Monk 5
    Feats: (B) Improved Unarmed Strike, (B) Stunning Fist, (B) Deflect Arrows, Improved Initiative, Improved Grapple, Ability Focus: Stunning Fist.

Rules
    - Flaws not allowed
    - Contestants start 100 feet away on an utterly featureless and infinite plane
    - Contestants start with zero wealth of any kind (hey, you just said equal, and note that I resisted doing Vow of Poverty).

Result
    Spellbooks have a price. Zero wealth means no spellbook. The Wizard can cast Detect Magic. The Monk can run him down and beat him into a pulp. Go, Monk!
    Last edited by sonofzeal; 2009-08-19 at 04:13 AM.

Bubs the Commoner

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Result
    Spellbooks have a price. Zero wealth means no spellbook.
    I guess this shows, I'm not THAT good at Wish-wording....

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Actuallly....

Request #18

Wizard
    Race/Class: Venerable Grey Elf Focused Specialist Transmuter 3 / Master Specialist 2
    Feats: Faerie Mysteries Initiate, Spell Focus: Transmutation, (B) Skill Focus: Spellcraft, (B) Scribe Scroll

I think we can all agree that's a pretty rock-solid optimized basis for a Wizard of that level. Huge hitpoints, huge Int, fast access to actual class features, and heavy one of the two strongest disciplines. I could have used Conjurer, but I've already had one of those in this thread and I like variety. Suffice it to say it works either way.

Monk
    Race/Class: Human Monk 5
    Feats: (B) Improved Unarmed Strike, (B) Stunning Fist, (B) Deflect Arrows, Improved Initiative, Improved Grapple, Ability Focus: Stunning Fist.

Rules
    - Flaws not allowed
    - Contestants start 100 feet away on an utterly featureless and infinite plane
    - Contestants start with zero wealth of any kind (hey, you just said equal, and note that I resisted doing Vow of Poverty).

Result
    Spellbooks have a price. Zero wealth means no spellbook. The Wizard can cast Detect Magic. The Monk can run him down and beat him into a pulp. Go, Monk!
    Oh come now they are both humanoids so their bones, brains, eyes, fingers, hands, hearts, and blood have a price if I am remembering correctly.

Edit: Also their tongues.
    Last edited by olentu; 2009-08-19 at 05:43 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Request 19

A character with over 20 attacks per round using a single slicing weapon. no good casters (aka-7th+ level spells are banned. metamagic abuse is banned, its a MELEE build.)
    Damage is irrelevant, the weapon itself must be non-magica

Quote Originally Posted by Cormag81 View Post
    2117: No matter how good a debater I am out of character there is no way to logically get out of falling after your paladin kills his patron god.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Well, I can do 16 for you without much hassle. Anything more needs some work.

Two-Bladed Sword, TWF feat-chain, for 8 attacks. Belt of Battle gives 8 more as a swift action.

Actually, just get Combat Reflexes, and make rest of the attacks as AoO. Perfectly legal, perfectly easy.

(18 dex, +2 racial, +5 levels, +5 item, +6 magical item gives 36 Dex. With 8 attacks, and 13 AoOs by Combat Reflexes, you get 21 attacks - without anything cheesy...)
    Last edited by Eloel; 2009-08-19 at 06:24 AM.

29. - Top - End - #59

I think you can do #19 with a TWFing Thri-Keen Monk who has Versatile Unarmed Strike or the Morphing Enhancement on his fists/Gauntlets.

You FoB, Snap Kick, and use TWF to dual wield your unarmed strikes.

You can do #17 by having your 6 classes be Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian, Fighter, Binder, Warblade, Crusader, and Swordsage
    Last edited by Pharaoh's Fist; 2009-08-19 at 06:47 AM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Request #15

There's a brilliant and hilarious build for this already out there. Unfortunately, gleemax is down yet again, but here's the basis. Total credit goes to JanusJones btw.

Concept: Warforged short/medium range warrior
    Race/Class: Warforged Warblade (or Warblade/Crusader)
    Components: Shocking Fist feat, Lightning Throw maneuver (optional: Aura of Chaos)
    Result: You're a ToBer with all the melee pwnage that describes. You can also propel your fists in a 30 foot line, hitting all enemies in the way for massive lightning damage via Shocking Fist. Crusaders also get some healing. Unfortunately, neither Crusaders nor Warblades get Perform: song or dance, so you're out of luck on that end.
    Rofl, thanks much. I'll have to check out the full build whenever Gleemax comes back. And Perform can always be used untrained, so that's okay.

Now, how about an amphibian gish who favors water-related magic and gets Leap Attack?
    Currently playing: Jathal Darsha'an; Linie