New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: [3e] Taking Creative Build Requests

Request #14

Concept: Buffer with combat skils
    Race/Class: Strongheart Halfling Druid Saint
    Necessary components: whatever you want really, although Extend Spell is good.
    Result: Druids get a decent selection of healing and support spells, and Saint adds a very nice passive aura on top of that, as well as some solid buff at-wills (and buffing at-will is a very good thing). You also get a tone of immunities and Wis-to-AC. Buff the party (and yourself) up for free before combat begins, and bite faces off in combat.

Request #16

Comment: Admittedly not what you asked for, but something similar that I had fun with. Also relies on a very questionable assumption.

Concept: multi-caster
    Race/Class: Illumian Archivist 1 / Wizard 1 / Psion 3.
    Components: Improved Sigil (Krau)
    Result: Krau gets you early entry into Mystic Theurge. This isn't the questionable part; better rules-lawyers than I have investigated and vouched for it. The questionable part is stacking Mystic Theurge via Cerebremancer. With moderate cheese, you can easily advance all three all the way up for Archivist 16 / Wizard 16 / Psion 18. Not quite 9th level in two, but 8th level in three (and 9th in one) is pretty solid. And you're SAD, too! With super-cheese (stacking Mystic Theurge via Cerebremancer via Psychic Theurge to get some double-boosts going), you can get a heck of a lot more. Super-cheese is mostly unplayable, but moderate-cheese is actually pretty reasonable and rather on the low side for a lot of levels. You'll want to grab as many swift/immediate spells as you can, because you've got the slots but not the actions.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

2. - Top - End - #62

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Scylfing View Post
    Now, how about an amphibian gish who favors water-related magic and gets Leap Attack?
    You mean Ariel? Sure, it takes her nearly one-minute-thirty-seconds to connect with a Leap Attack, but just think of it as the matrix in real fantasy life.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh's Fist View Post
    Request A: Optimize alcohol usage

Request B: Optimize Con
    I can't help much with the first, but here's the second:

Deepwarden lv. 2 (Races of Stone) replaces Dexterity with Constitution to determine your AC. The 3.0 Forsaker gives you a natural AC equal to your Constitution, but since you need to give up magical items to do so, you're probably better off avoiding it. Steadfast Determination (PHB2, feat) allows you to use CON for will saves, while Kensai lv. 5 (Complete Warrior) allows a Concentration check instead of reflex saves.

Tome of Battle apparently has a few similar maneuvers, specifically for using a Concentration check instead of fortitude, reflex, will saves, or a damage roll.

Mineral Warrior allow an attack which adds the Con bonus to hit. Only 1/day, though. Still, a Dwarven Mineral Warrior can start with 24 CON.

Hammer of Earth is apparently a weapon from Magic of Rokugen (3.0) which adds your Con modifier to damage.
    Last edited by erikun; 2009-08-19 at 07:09 PM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

Request ?:A soulbow that gets a large number of mind arrow per full attack. I have the basics here http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...03#post6721203.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Orc in the Playground

Request #21
    This is an idea me and my friend have been tossing back and forth:
    A heavy character that deals damage by falling on enemies from above (And preferably survive the whole ordeal). Not attacking with a weapon while diving, or anything like that, simply relying on the damage supplied by a falling object (itself). Ideally playable at any level of progression.
    The NPC.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EnnPeeCee View Post
    Request #21
    A heavy character that deals damage by falling on enemies from above (And preferably survive the whole ordeal). Not attacking with a weapon while diving, or anything like that, simply relying on the damage supplied by a falling object (itself). Ideally playable at any level of progression.
    I think I have seen this exact build somewhere but I can not remember quite how it went.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Where is the Shocking Fist feat from?

7. - Top - End - #67

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh's Fist View Post
    Request A: Optimize alcohol usage

By which I mean tell me the most useful things you can do with for alcohol in DnD, such as poisoning yourself.

Request B: Optimize Con

How many things can be done with Con? Ie, Con to AC, Will saves, etc. I'm looking for Con to attack or damage right now.

Request C: Can you roll the two into a build? (Information will be used to improve an existing build)
    Request #A

Comment: You're on the right track with poisoning yourself.

Concept: optimize alchohol
    Race/Class: Half Elf Bard
    Components: Glibness spell, Conceal Thoughts psi tattooes (ideally you'd get yourself a custom item for this, but even tattoes are affordable)
    Result: optimize Bluff. Remember that beating their Sense Motive by 50 gives you the effect of a no-save, (Ex) Suggestion effect. Glibness + Conceal Thoughts gives you a +40 right there, so you only need to be able to reliably beat them by 10 normally. Convince target to share a drink with you. Multiple times. By A&EG, that means that the fifth drink inside an hour gets them a -8 on their Fort save to resist it; the sixth gives a -16. There's no end to the fun you can pull with this, especially since you're not doing anything wrong per se, by most legal codes...

Request #B

Erikun just about nailed it. For boosting Con, you want Mongrelfolk as the base (though Poison Dusk Lizardfolk are an intriguing option). Fpr using Con to do weird things, consult the X Stat to Y Bonus thread.

Request #19

Ozgun92 has it - pump dex through the roof (not hard), make millions of AoO's. Easy peasy, if not exactly what you were asking for. But since when have I offered exactly what people were asking fro? =P

Request #20

You seem to be doing just fine by yourself. I have no real suggestions, except to say that my personal record for projectiles (which would have been great for Fax Celestis's Request #13) had TWF + Flurry + Rapid Shot + Splitting + Palm Throw (from Master Thrower) to get a truly crazy number of daggers into the air. That's not really helpful to you, but again you're doing alright, and I'm not really here to do your homework for you anyway.

Request #21 will have to wait for tomorrow, as I'm tired and lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Where is the Shocking Fist feat from?
    My sources say Player's Guide to Eberron.

Bubs the Commoner

Spoiler
    Show
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

this should be fun.

Since I'm recently looking to do some builds for the BBEGs in my campaign, I'll post them here again to see what you come up with. note: all of these are supposed to be CR 20. but if you go over, that's okay too.

request 22

a CR 20 goblin/hobgoblin (some kind of goblinoid) gish who has the ability to instantly slay someone via some kind of energy drain or negative energy attack. Optional if you make him undead.

request 23

a human male swordsman who is both good with unarmed combat AND sword fighting. Should be able to hit multiple opponents with his sword techs. (Even better if you can figure out how to get the two specialties to work together)

also CR 20.

(I already have an idea on how to do this but I would like to see what you come up with)

request 24

a puppeteer who specializes in using his puppets to fight for him and give him cover. The puppet itself can be of any type, but warforged would be my preference.

request 25

a female human who specializes in mind control and is capable of bending the wills of thousands of people to her will. Bonus points if you can work in seduction into the formula somehow.

request 26

a half-human/half-octupus humanoid (no, not an illithid. we're talking about human top half, octopus lower half) capable of commanding the ocean and all of it's minions.

request 27

a winged humanoid caster specialized in battlefield control. Go ahead, go nuts. (In my mind, he's supposed to be the strongest one of the group)

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by elliott20 View Post
    request 25

a female human who specializes in mind control and is capable of bending the wills of thousands of people to her will. Bonus points if you can work in seduction into the formula somehow.
    Sorcerer 1, with 18 Cha. Charm Person on a king or general of some kind. You now have 1000s of people doing what you wish them to, under order from their king/general they respect & obey.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ozgun92 View Post
    Sorcerer 1, with 18 Cha. Charm Person on a king or general of some kind. You now have 1000s of people doing what you wish them to, under order from their king/general they respect & obey.
    well, normally that SHOULD be fine, but in this case, this woman is not just someone who is weaseling her way into power. She actually has the ability to lead the people she brings under her control, not just persuade them.

11. - Top - End - #71

Request #21
    olentu's right, this has been done before. I'm not quite sure how it went - I believe the basis was a Psyforged (all living constructs are way heavy for their size), with Expansion to go up to Huge, and Deformity (Obese) to gain massive excess weight. I can't remember the rest. That should get you started though!

Request #22

Definitely a Dolgaunt (ECS). Optimize for grapple score and number of grapple checks, then rapid-fire Vitality Drain things into shallow husks.

Request #23

Swordsage is the most obvious. He uses a longsword with Stone Dragon / Tiger Claw stuff, then against appropriate opponents he'll drop his sword and use Adaptive style with Shadow Hand / Desert Wind stuff. The key cutoff might be how straightforward the battlefield is; the former would work better in wide open places with high visibility, and the latter when there's cliffs or lots of cover or difficult terrain.

More later. =P

Bubs the Commoner

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #72

Request #24

Comment: Extrapolates things that were fairly clearly not meant to be extrapolated.

Concept: minionmancer
    Race/Class: Strongheart Halfling Artificer
    Components: Improved Homunculus
    Result: Craft a whole bunch of Iron Defenders. Up their HD (costs gold but not xp) and boost them up size categories every 5 HD or so. Arbalesters make good archery versions. For extra cheese, give them the Sacred Guardian template from Bestiary of Krynn.

Request #25

Comment: Unnecessarily backwards entry, chosen more for amusement than for power.

Concept: Master Manipulator
    Race/Class: Human Cleric X
    Components: Sin-Lust domain, Mindbender PrC
    Result: Sin-Lust gets you into Mindbender. If you don't drop the "arcane" bit, you can get in with a one level dip and Practiced Spellcaster; Warlock makes a flavourful if not straightforwardly-legal choice for this, and grants Beguiling Influence. Bard is certainly legal, and lets you use Scrolls of Glibness. Whichever way, I think Sin-Lust works well for this character, and the drop in spellcasting from Mindbender is probably worth the increased ability to do social manipulations far more reliably. Possibly through telepathy, and possibly while invisible. "I am the voice of Cuthbert, and I command you to smite that evildoer! *rolls a 46 bluff check*"
    Last edited by sonofzeal; 2009-08-20 at 07:45 PM.

Bubs the Commoner

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #73

GnomeWizardGuy

Request #21
    At least one level of Monk, so you can treat unarmed attacks as standard attacks, rather than off-hand attacks. Take Power Attack, Leap Attack, and Weapon Focus (Butt). Psychic Warrior for Expansion is good, too.

Run at the opponent, take a flying leap and butt-crush them to death. Okay, not quite what you were looking for, but it's not something you've likely seen before....

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by boomwolf View Post
    Request 19

A character with over 20 attacks per round using a single slicing weapon. no good casters (aka-7th+ level spells are banned. metamagic abuse is banned, its a MELEE build.)
    Damage is irrelevant, the weapon itself must be non-magica
    Quick Draw, Chicken Infested Flaw, Whirlwind Attack and/or Great Cleave. Should make for a nice number of attacks. Leaves kind of a mess behind, though

Request #28

Make me a character who started out as a total loser(human commoner 1 with an 8 in every attribute) but somehow got his act together and now kicks arse.
    No primary casters, psi and similar stuff(ToB is fine), no Use Magic Device. A few stat boosts are allowed, but frowned upon. I'll be most impressed if the character in the end still has pitiful stats but neverethless somehow manages to wipe the floor with a halfway decent equally leveled 32 point buy fighter who used to mock him when he was little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

15. - Top - End - #75

Request #26

Concept: Ursula with Triton's staff
    Race/Class: Anthropomorphic Octopus Variant Druid
    Components: Standard summon-boosting feats, LA+1 buyoff, this variant.
    Result: Certainly not the most optimal Druid around, but you hardly need to be. Rather than summoning single powerful creatures like most druids, focus on summoning a whole bunch of smaller creatures, using the 1d4+1 option. Additionally, make heavy use of the templated variants from Planar Handbook, summoning Axiomatic/Anarchic creatures of the same level or Vivacious/Entropic creatures as if they were from the next higher list (so Summon Nature's Ally IV to get yourself 1d4+1 Vivacious Octopuses, for example). Mix and match different natures to tailor your force to the opposition, make sure you keep them spread out because a lot of weak targets invites AOE spells, and laugh as the enemy struggles to keep up with new waves of differently-powered animals show up each turn. You don't benefit from Wildshape as much as most Druids, partially because your Druid level is down by two and partially because your normal body is a lot better. Trading it for a whole bunch of different benefits is still probably not the optimal choice, but will help make the character a bit more unique and memorable, and that's what this is all about. =P

Request #27

A Solar. Not just any Solar though, a Solar with issues. This Solar, let's call him Bob, has been surprisingly insecure his whole life, uncomfortable serving the gods. Solars are "any good", but few are as solidly chaotic as Bob, and it shows. Chafing under his divine mandate, he took what he thought was the best way out - a Helm of Opposite Alignment that also came with a Mindblank effect. Freed from the tyranny of his patron, Bob is now thoroughly Lawful Evil and loving every minute of it. If separated from his helm, he'll fight to the death to get it back... before his patron finds him and claims him again. In the mean time, he's still got all his old powers, including an inherent 20th level Cleric spell casting that comes without the ex-cleric caveat.
    Last edited by sonofzeal; 2009-08-22 at 12:03 PM.

Bubs the Commoner

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #76
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    Erikun just about nailed it. For boosting Con, you want Mongrelfolk as the base (though Poison Dusk Lizardfolk are an intriguing option).
    Make the mongrelfolk a dragonborn for an extra +2 con and the added benefit of NOT looking like you were beaten with an ugly stick for a year straight...

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Request: the No Button
    Role: Counterspelling! Reliably stop your foes from casting the spells they want without being a dead weight the rest of the time.
    Bonus points: What's the lowest level this archetype can be played without drooling on itself?
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    Role: Counterspelling! Reliably stop your foes from casting the spells they want without being a dead weight the rest of the time.
    Bonus points: What's the lowest level this archetype can be played without drooling on itself?
    Ok, Sorcerer 4. Each turn you face a spellcaster, ready an action to cast scorching ray on them. A Concentration check of 10+4d6 isnt really that easy to make at that level. Plus, y'know, you are a sorcerer.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, because I was toying with the idea but have no 3.5 character building kung-fu left...

Request 30.
    A Kobold, using the Races of the Dragon and the Races of the Dragon Web enhancement. Perhaps a sorcerer (or partly sorcerer?)to make good use of the Rituals of draconic passage?
    He should, however, make good use of the Wings they can grow via that book.

Bonus points if he not only gets good use from the wings, but is also a valid front-line fighter somehow. (Again, preferably mostly or at least partly melee.)

Let's say, level 13 or so?
    Last edited by Tiki Snakes; 2009-08-22 at 05:56 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    Elven Sorcerer 12/Arcane Archer 2. Ready an action to cast an Imbued Anti-Magic Field Arrow when the opponent begins casting a spell. It's guaranteed to stop them from completing it successfully! Be sure to take Enlarge Person and keep a ballista in a bag of holding, to get past defenses like Wind Wall.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Barbarian in the Playground

Two requests here.

A pirate captain type character who fights with a mix of melee combat (either barehanded or with a cutlass,) and some sort of water manipulation ability. Perhaps also some abilities based on the interaction with his crew, and maybe some sort of predatory marine animal familiar, although the last part is purely optional.

The second request is a bit less specific, so it's more up to you how one would go about this, but I'd like an elderly vanara character based on Sun Wukong. He would preferably be wisdom and dexterity based, and have a quarterstaff which is capable of increasing and decreasing in size. If he has levels in monk, multiclassing is not an issue with me.
    Campaign:
    The Secret of Trottleburg IC OOC

Characters:
    Misrahi Laroux of The Times They Are A-Changing
    #14 of Frenzied Entourage
    Lilen Zheng of Trouble in Tashwell
    Wilbur Rustbreath of Starting a Blue Dawn
    Lilen Avatar by Darwin. The rest by me.

22. - Top - End - #82

Request #33

A caster that uses magic missile for battlefield control, debuffs, etc. Bonus points will be awarded if it can bypass a brooch of shielding. Mad props if magic missile is usable in social situations.
    Last edited by Gadora; 2009-08-23 at 11:08 AM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

Request #34

sword and board Gish with heavy focus on Necromancy. Must be able to summon/reanimate competent undead minions. Physical form must be that of an empty suit of armour. Ideally playable from level 1.
    Truth resists simplicity.

24. - Top - End - #84

Request #28

Concept: Total loser becomes awesome
    Build: Human Commoner 1 / Survivor 5 / Dragonfire Adept 14
    Components: Entangling Exhalation
    Result: ....well, not that great, but I did what I could. He's highly resilient, can fly, and with Entangling Exhalation should be able to mop the floor with any Fighter he wins initiative against. Surviver honestly doesn't add much, but it's the prototypical "oh hey wow Commoner 1 qualifies wtf" class, and fits this guy's flavour. He started out sucking, made his suckitude work for him, and gained the attention of a powerful patron. He'll never be top of the party, but as soon as he gets Entangling Exhalation then he'd be able to contribute in most games.

Request #29

There's been two good answers to this already. I like the Arcane Archer one just because it's got a lot of class.

Request #30

...I'm going to have to pass on this one. I'm not really up to the dumpster diving involved, although the aforementioned Dragonfire Adept is a nice flavourful choice for the class, if not an optimal one.

Bubs the Commoner

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #85

GnomeWizardGuy

Well, given that my #29 was a Sorcerer anyways, there's nothing stopping him from learning Scorching Ray and using it at earlier levels. Heck, it's good for a lot more than interrupting spells...

Quote Originally Posted by sciencepanda View Post
    Request #32

The second request is a bit less specific, so it's more up to you how one would go about this, but I'd like an elderly vanara character based on Sun Wukong. He would preferably be wisdom and dexterity based, and have a quarterstaff which is capable of increasing and decreasing in size. If he has levels in monk, multiclassing is not an issue with me.
    If you have the 3.0 Oriental Adventures book, my first thought is a Vanara Shaman. They fight unarmed, get some of the monk-like AC bonus, and cast divine spells. Just spend a feat on proficiency with a polearm, and you'll probably be all set. I'm not sure if the Shaman has Enlarge Person, though.

Beyond that? Monk/Psionic Fist gets the Expansion power....

26. - Top - End - #86
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by elliott20 View Post
    request 24; a puppeteer who specializes in using his puppets to fight for him and give him cover. The puppet itself can be of any type, but warforged would be my preference.
    Cleric with the Warforged Domain (from Faiths of Eberron, allows Rebuke/Command of constructs), using Warforged, Clockwork Horrors, or, best choice, Maug, as 'puppets.' Improved Turning raises effective level for turning by +1. Some items (special holy symbols found in the Eberron Campaign Setting) may also increase effective level for turn/rebuke by +1, allowing a 6th level Cleric with +2 effective Cleric levels for his command rating could command a pair of 4 HD Maug. Add in levels of Effigy Master and use the Leadership feat (or a tweaked variation on Undead Leadership that affects constructs instead of undead) to allow for dozens of Arbalester Homonculi, etc. to be added to the retinue. Maybe Planar Bind an Inevitable to join the party.

I'm not familiar enough with the Artificer to know how many Homonculi one can produce, but I'm sure the WotC CharOp forums have that listed in one of their Artificer Handbooks. If the Artificer can *somehow* qualify for a feat that allows someone to qualify for a Domain, adding the Warforged Domain, some kind of 'Construct Leadership,' levels of Effigy Master *and* the use of a scroll to Planar Bind an Inevitable, could make for quite the little army of 'puppets'... During combat, the character can also beef up numbers by dropping wand or scroll-summoned outsider construct creatures (such as, again, inevitables, or modrons, if the appropriate third-party write-ups are available) and confuse the issue further by imbuing some of his harder-to-replace constructs (such as his Effigy) with mirror image.

27. - Top - End - #87

Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    If you have the 3.0 Oriental Adventures book, my first thought is a Vanara Shaman. They fight unarmed, get some of the monk-like AC bonus, and cast divine spells. Just spend a feat on proficiency with a polearm, and you'll probably be all set. I'm not sure if the Shaman has Enlarge Person, though.
    According to my copy of Oriental Adventures they do not. They do however get the much better (although higher lvl and self only) giant size which can turn you colossal and righteous might and... they get pretty good self buffs. Also they get a refluffed version of the Paladins Divine Favor Cha to saves ability. Good class all in all.

28. - Top - End - #88

Request #31

Comments: Changed "Desert Wind" to "Storm Wind"

Concept: Pirate!
    Build: Human Swordsage / Legendary Captain
    Components: Leadership, Knowledge Devotion
    Result: Take maneuvers primarily out of the "Storm Wind" (Desert Wind based on Lightning instead of Fire). You can qualify for Legendary Captain as of level 6, so feel free to jump back and forth to maximize the IL of your maneuvers. You lose some straight combat power vs a normal Swordsage, but you'll be an absolute terror at the helm of a ship. Note that this is only worthwhile if sailing ships are actually important, so it's only really recommended in a low-magic campaign.

(edit) If you're feeling cheesy, look at Scarlet Corsair's "Frightening Lunge", and try to convince the DM you can do that multiple times in a single attack by sacrificing more Sneak Attack. Stab 'em once, make 'em panicked!

Request #32

Concept: Monkey god
    Race/class: Anthropomorphic monkey Swordsage 4 / Wilder 2 / Warmind X
    Components: Practiced Manifester feat, Unarmed Swordsage variant (contrary to the name, it just loses armor and can still use weapons like quarterstaffs)
    Result: Crazy-awesome touch AC, can expand/contract up to two size categories in either direction, has great fun lobbing enemies around with Setting Sun. Warmind gives Expansion/Compression, Sweeping Strike, and a variety of psi powers that would work great for this character.
    Last edited by sonofzeal; 2009-08-24 at 10:27 PM.

Bubs the Commoner

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

So howsabout that ToS build you owe me, Son? :)
    Lagren: I took Livers Need Not Apply, only reflavoured.
    DocRoc: to?
    Lagren: So whenever Harry wisecracks, he regains HP.

30. - Top - End - #90

Quote Originally Posted by Tidesinger View Post
    So howsabout that ToS build you owe me, Son? :)
    Oh, I'm sure I'll get around to it one of these years....

Bubs the Commoner

Spoiler
    Show