Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [3e] Taking Creative Build Requests

request #32

optimized pixie dread necro, tips for low levels, and ideas for higher ones
    most in quality and quantity minions possible
    cuniculus tepes leo caesar
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR HIS YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

Sajin Komamura avatar by me

2. - Top - End - #92
    Firbolg in the Playground

Note to mods - er, I know you guys usually lock revived threads, and I wouldn't have revived it myself, but as the OP I don't mind it being up again. Unless there's a board stability issue, I'd be happy to see this thread remain open.

Quote Originally Posted by CTLC View Post
    request #32

optimized pixie dread necro, tips for low levels, and ideas for higher ones
    most in quality and quantity minions possible
    You're aware that I usually hand people something other than what they thought they were asking for, yes? If so, give me a minute, let's see if I can cook up anything fun to get this rolling again....

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Orc in the Playground

welll, i am a dread necromancer, so this thread had it coming.
    also, do your worst son of zeal!

4. - Top - End - #94

Request #32

Comments: ...probably a bad idea to try to actually play this guy, but he amuses the heck out of me. Also, note that this is a variation of a previous build of mine, though I do say it works pretty well like this.

Concept: Necro-pixie!
    Build: Magic-Blooded Venerable Pixie Marshal 1 / Dread Necro X
    Components: Necropolitan
    Result: Becomming Necropolitan, as well as giving you a nice dose of undeath (useful for Charnal Touching yourself up to full), gives you free Taint without all the nasty side effects. Since Taint gives you bonus feats, that's technically two feats right there. Magic-Blooded gives you +2 Cha (-2 Wis), and Venerable gives you +3 Cha and -6 physical stats... but you keep Str 1, your Con doesn't matter, and you've got enough Dex to make it work. Meanwhile, with your now-terrifying Cha score and "Motivate Charisma" from Marshal to double-stack it, you can get an amazing Handle Animal check. This might seem an odd thing to do, unless you can hit the magic number of 41... which should be possible in short order, with your double-stacking Cha and free feats. With Handle Animal 41, you can rear Battletitans (CR 16). Three of them. I recommend giving them Tomb-Tainted Soul, then floating behind them as an invisible ball of nothing and heal them with Charnal Touch after every encounter, assuming they take any damage at all before ripping everything to ribbons.

...that's until your DM throws a book at you, and you play a more traditional build. Still, Handle Animal makes sense flavour-wise for a Pixie Marshal, and you can have all sorts of fun figuring out what drove him to Necropolitan Dread Necroness. And the ability to work with animals in general can help when finding and "grooming" potential future minions.
    Last edited by sonofzeal; 2010-01-19 at 12:32 AM.

Bubs the Commoner

Spoiler
    Show
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Orc in the Playground

thats plain beautiful , but cuts sortof perpendicular to the grain of my character. and my dm would beat me to death with the phb.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

If still taking requests:

Bouncer for a bar in a thieves' guild. Needs, well, some way to survive and make money at this role, while somehow being reasonably dangerous at dual wielding crossbows. Needs to be humanoid.

7. - Top - End - #97

NecromancerGuy

Request 34
    A mid-level character, 8th to 12th with any race/class, that needs to make no attack rolls and allows no saving throws or opposed skill checks to be viable in combat.
    Last edited by Amphetryon; 2010-01-19 at 07:47 AM.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #98
    Halfling in the Playground

Request 35
    I'm looking to make a BBEG for my game, but I have no idea how to make this guy even remotely a threat.
    I want a rat-based character. Shapeshifting, mind-controlling, however you want to roll it. The inspiration is the Rat King from Ninja Turtles if that helps at all.
    Never trust a man, who, when left alone in a room with a tea cozy, doesn't try it on.--Billy Connolly
    Spoiler
    Show

Cluny avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    Request #28

Concept: Total loser becomes awesome
    Build: Human Commoner 1 / Survivor 5 / Dragonfire Adept 14
    Components: Entangling Exhalation
    Result: ....well, not that great, but I did what I could. He's highly resilient, can fly, and with Entangling Exhalation should be able to mop the floor with any Fighter he wins initiative against. Surviver honestly doesn't add much, but it's the prototypical "oh hey wow Commoner 1 qualifies wtf" class, and fits this guy's flavour. He started out sucking, made his suckitude work for him, and gained the attention of a powerful patron. He'll never be top of the party, but as soon as he gets Entangling Exhalation then he'd be able to contribute in most games.
    Seems I lost track of the thread back then. Rather nice solution. Flight, no reliance on any attribute for his effects, though it will take some time to get another character into the negatives. But I like it
    Now, after seeing the Survivor class(no BAB progression wtf) I'll look into making an ECL 20 character with 0 BAB. Unless you want to go at it first ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallenOne View Post
    Seems I lost track of the thread back then. Rather nice solution. Flight, no reliance on any attribute for his effects, though it will take some time to get another character into the negatives. But I like it
    Now, after seeing the Survivor class(no BAB progression wtf) I'll look into making an ECL 20 character with 0 BAB. Unless you want to go at it first ;)
    Large race + commoner 1+ survivor x+ warhulk + LA template to fill the levels
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

11. - Top - End - #101
    Bugbear in the Playground

Request #X

I'm looking for:
    Something that fills in a support role, using arcane spells to provide a bit of damage and a bit of buffs and the build can help out in melee in a pinch. I would like it to be able to use a sword and shield if possible. Level range around 10.

12. - Top - End - #102

Request #33

Note: Uses some material that many groups ban for being too good, but uses it suboptimally. Should be playable at most levels though, and is more "fun" than "powerful".

Concept: Dual Crossbow Bouncer
    Build: Cleric of Mouqol
    Components: Divine Metamagic Quicken
    Result: Your deity's Favoured Weapon is a crossbow, so your Spiritual Weapon is too. DMM:Q lets you pop several of them out of nowhere, and open fire with not two but five or more crossbows, most of which fire bolts of pure Force (which is good) and use your Wis for the attack roll (which is better) and get iteratives (which is best). Since they count as actual weapons, all your weapon-buff spells work well here; I recommend "Legion's Magic Weapon", which will buff all your crossbows simultaneously as well as any allies standing nearby. SR is your bane, but "Assay Spell Resistance", "Lower Spell Resistance", and "Spell Vulnerability" are all on the Cleric list. Level 2 Pearls of Power are 4000 and Nightsticks are 7500. Unlike most builds I know, this guy can attack from round one and grows stronger every round until he runs out of 2nd level slots, making him a potentially scary NPC. And if it's a PC, you can use pretty much everything you've invested here into going ClericZilla in an emergency. As to bouncing, well Mouqol would certainly approve of protecting taverns, so that works too.

Request #34

Concept: No-roll win
    Build: Human Saint Marshal 2 / Bard 1 / Dragon Shaman 1 / Divine Mind X
    Components: Regalia of the Hero, Word of Creation, Song of the Heart, masterwork drums, etc
    Result: Buffs are decent, sometimes. But unless your buff increases the buffee's power by a sizeable fraction, it's not worth the combat round. Also, making only one party member uber leaves others feeling left out... assuming that the buff has an impressive impact, and if it doesn't then what's the point? The Auramaster bypasses both these problems by relying on a host of minor, passive buffs that affect many people and don't require an action to activate. A +2 bonus to saves is generally not worth a combat turn even at low levels, but a constant, permanent +2 saves is actually a pretty sweet thing to have. And +2 saves for everyone in the party might be a lifesaver. Combine a variety of defensive and utility auras (Motivate Dex is good here) with Inspire Courage cheese, and the Auramaster becomes rather gamebreaking. His boosts, while individually small, are numerous and are multiplied for each member of the party. Only use this guy with experienced DMs though, as balancing for a party with an Auramaster is a difficult task indeed.

Oh, and buy yourself a Magebred Heavy Warhorse. You'll look stunning on it, glowing with so much radiant energy you give the sun an inferiority complex, and after all your buffs it'll be able to take on ogres and worse by itself.
    Last edited by sonofzeal; 2010-01-19 at 01:58 PM.

Bubs the Commoner

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #103
    Barbarian in the Playground

Request #36 a cohort designed to help crush enemy Fort Saves
    The Super Special Awesome Yiuel made my very manly Avatar
    The Great Steam Golem, Blitzcrank!

He really has a heart of gold...encased in a framework of iron...in a carapace of steel.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, if you don't mind,
    Request #37
    A gestalt Flying warforged, raining mellee attacks on enemies, using a long reach. Under level 10, if possible. And hopefully, more than one standard action per round.
    Demilich avatar by Smuchmuch. Thank you VERY much!

Old Extended Signature, last updated in 2012
    Awright, Supagoof, that's just awesome. Thanks!
    Spoiler
    Show

Infernal avatar by Savana. Thanks!

Nude version by SmuchMuch.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Halfling in the Playground

Chimera

Request #38
    I would love to see an effective Spellthief build that uses more than just one level of the class. The main goal would be to be really good at stealing and using other people's spells but also have something to do when there were no casters around.

16. - Top - End - #106

Quote Originally Posted by Rasman View Post
    Request #36 a cohort designed to help crush enemy Fort Saves
    Request #36

Concept: Cohort crushes Fort
    Build: Human Adept 8 / Hexer X
    Result: Nasty, nasty Bestow Curse SLA options. Ability Focus and other DC-pumping skills are essential, but the fact that a single use gives many chances to work... helps. Since it's an NPC class base, it should be easy to get by the DM, and the PrC gives full spellcasting advancement as well as letting you expand your spell list.

Request #37
    Concept: Robo-strafer
    Build: Warforged Warlock // Warblade1/FactotumX
    Result: Relatively straightforward. Eldritch Glaive gives you your reach weapon, Fell Flight gives you maneuverability, and Cunning Surge gives you extra standard actions. Warblade was thrown in for a small HP boost, a couple decent maneuvers (since you'll have plenty of Standard Action attacks to spare), and to ratched up BAB so you get full progression unless you're using fractional. Not my most interesting, but it works. Refluff Fell Flight as a robo-jetpack and you're back on the track to awesomeness.

Request #38
    ....you know, I've never actually taken a serious look at the Spellthief class before. This could take a while. In the mean time, I'll open this up to anyone else reading the thread. Do you guys have any funky ideas for Spellthief?

Bubs the Commoner

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, I should mention the Evolutionist class.
    Produced by the playground, so not many DMs would allow it, but I'm a fan... and potential necromancer.
    If you think the factotum is flexible... Ok, it's still more flexible, but the evolutionist can be as flexible, granted at a more "focused" end: it could fill any roll, period, it just tends to take a roll and stick with it.
    Anyways, it could make the Human with 5 weapons idea much earlier a lot easier. A LOT (potentially +2 hands, and natural reach weapons).

seperatly...

Request #39:
    The smallest charachter ever, able to be anywere in the blink of an eye, and using ranged weaponry. prefferably within 5 levels.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #108
    Orc in the Playground

Well, this looks fun, going to give you an extremely open ended one:

#Request 40
    Interesting complimentary allied to a Dark Naga for an encounter against 1 Diviner PC, 1 Cleric PC, 1 Paladin PC and 1 Ranger PC. Total level (CR) should be around 7 like the Naga
    Last edited by Iceforge; 2010-01-20 at 06:36 PM.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

Request #41

A halfling werebee >.>

Something in a melee would be nice, for a low/no magic game.
    Last edited by Vizzerdrix; 2010-01-20 at 06:47 PM.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

20. - Top - End - #110
    Colossus in the Playground

Request #42
    Hmm, recently I've really been wanting a Mech. 20 is fine, name should be self-explanatory.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

21. - Top - End - #111

Never used Spellthief, myself. Though, what's wrong with large levels of Spellthief with the Master Spellthief feat?

Request #43
    Some flouncy aristocrat-type (in the 6-14 range) that gets by in battle with Leadership and flinging ninjas at his enemies. The ninjas might be just stealthed and trailing along behind the party, or for a little class, he opens a Ring Gate and they come pouring through.
    People seemed to like this better, but only marginally so - the way one might prefer to be stabbed than shot. Optimally, one isn't stabbed or shot. Optimally, one eats some cake! But there are times when cake is not available, and instead we are destroyed. This is the deep poetry of the universe. -- Tycho Brahe

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #112

Request #44
    A non-caster BBEG-style thing that makes the PCs think "Oh [deleted], he's making us fight a caster." Truckloads of hp also good.
    Level 13, no campaign-setting-specific books unless needed.
    Thelas

Ambiguously aligned Domain Wizard (Divination) 9/Iot7V 7 at your service.

If I am playing in or running a game and I don't seem to be showing up, PM me. Please.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

That last one, 44, is a key example for the evolutionist. here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112349
    Take a look. He's fleshed it out really well, ballanced it, and yet, it is so non-specific to any one role...
    But using spell like abilities, a fair BaB, a d8 HD, and unique class abilities (even varying amoungst pure evolutionists!) should fill that niche quite easily.
    Oh, despite skill points bieng 0+int moddifier, just take the Evolve learning mutation twice per level, to turn it into 6+int moddifier.
    Last edited by flabort; 2010-01-20 at 10:50 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #114

Request #45

Succinctly, I present the following:

Interpret however you feel appropriate.
    Last edited by Signmaker; 2010-01-20 at 11:03 PM.
    "So Marbles, why do they call you Marbles?"

25. - Top - End - #115
    Barbarian in the Playground

Request 46:

How about a guy with a lot of things of to do in combat, but without a lot of prep time(*Cough* Wizard *Cough*). Powerful is perferred because my group is rather optimized but not absolutley needed.

Oh and not Factotoum 20..... because despite meeting everything I said, I've played them before and I am looking for a change of pace.
    Fire Emblem Optimizer and Game Balancer (apparently) in the Playground
    A note on using my Fire Emblem rules:
    Spoiler
    Show

I'm mostly retired from Fire Emblem PbPs, and indeed the PbPs in general at present. So if you wish to use my character creation rules, I would appreciate a PM, but feel free to start the game before I respond, as it might be a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisti
    "Reason itself is fallible, for logic must account for all the crazy **** wizards keep doing."
    Harry Dresden Avatar by Deuxhero

26. - Top - End - #116

Request 47:

A reasonably effective melee combatant of tiny size or smaller -- the smaller, the better. Doesn't need to be that small at all times, as long as he shrinks for combat; I leave it to you to figure out why he'd do that.

Request 48:

A character whose fighting style emulates a monster of your choice.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Request 48:

A character whose fighting style emulates a monster of your choice.
    This one's easy - straight totemist.

28. - Top - End - #118

I assumed it went without saying that the intent is to be a little more creative than that, or he could just make a dragon disciple, shaman, -fire adept, or what have you. I meant something like a duskblade channeling debuffs through a whip to imitate a roper or some such.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

Request #49: A character who is a literal incarnation of a rift in the continuity of time. Any and all official WotC books, whatever level and templates, up to ECL 20. I'm curious to see what you come up with.

Request #50: A character who can, on any given day, fill any of the four cliche roles--tank, healbot, skillmonkey, or blaster--so well he can pass himself off as a member of the relevant class. No ToM or Incarnum, since Binder and Soulborn can pretty much do that right out of the box.

Request #51: A bard who can out-melee a swordsage. No more than four levels total of ToB classes, although Martial Stance and Study are fair game. Must be able to keep up Bardic Music fairly well in comparison to a straight bard.
    Last edited by Kallisti; 2010-01-21 at 01:23 AM.
    "Once upon a time, a story was never finished..."

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

Request #52:
    A melee build focusing on hitting things with shields and controlling the field.
    I want to see how you do this one.