Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Bake Sales for the Goddess of Vengeance (3.5: PEACH)

I have only one question, Neo - from what dark, twisted depth of your mind did you dredge forth the idea of a Vengeance goddess who is also the patron of bakers?

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Just for grins and giggles, I thought I'd repost my Pie Domain.

Pie Domain

You cast spells with the food or drink descriptor at +1 caster level

Pie Domain Spells

1. Purify Food and Drink: (Desserts and after drinner drinks only)
    2. Goodberry
    3. Bless Pie: (pies only) creates a holy pie which acts like holy water (i.e. a direct hit by a holy pie deals 2d4 points of damage to an undead creature or an evil outsider) and those creatures have a -1 morale penalty to attack on the following round.
    4. Create Food and Water (Desserts and tea or coffee only)
    5. Spiritual Pie: a pie made of pure force springs into action, and acts on its own dealing 1d2 points of bludgeoning damage when it hits. Creatures hit with a pie attack at the next round with a -1 morale penalty for looking silly.
    6. Locate Pie: You can sense the direction of a pie like locate object.
    7. Animate Pie: You imbue inanimate pies with mobility and a semblance of life. Each animated pie then immediately attacks whomever or whatever you initially designate as though it were an animated object of the appropriate size category.
    8. Hero’s Feast (Desserts Only).
    9. Symbol of Pi: This mystical rune causes all creatures of 10 HD or less within 60 feet of the symbol of pi to calculate the mathematical formula for 3d6x10 minutes*

*Either that or you can use Symbol of Pie: the mystical rune causes all creatures of 10 HD or less within 60 feet of the symbol of pie to search for all the ingredients with which to bake a pie for 3d6x10 minutes.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

I appreciate further incentive to place pie over cake as the ultimate desert.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

Fading Lemon Pastry: These small, triangular pastries are flaky and flavored with lemon. For the next twenty-four hours, the consumer is under the effects of a nondetection spell, with an effective caster level of 9th.
    Moderate abjuration; CL 5th; Create Magical Baked Good, nondetection; Price 2,250 gp; Weight negligible.

Blueberry-Coriander Twist: Each of these small, yeast bread twists is stained blue from crushed blueberries and sprinkled with coriander. Eating one imbues one with divine power from Rivia herself. Individuals who don’t worship Rivia are only affected by rage for five rounds. Those who have Rivia as their patron are affected by rage for ten rounds, and are also surrounded by an aura of blue fire for the next minute. This aura of blue fire extends to all melee attacks done by the consumer, adding 1d6+2 fire damage and 1d6+2 chaotic damage to such attacks. Anyone attacking him with their body or a handheld weapon also takes 1d6+7 fire damage. This fiery aura is of an unusual variety, and does not grant any special immunity to fire or cold attacks.
    Moderate evocation; CL 7th; Create Magical Baked Good, rage, fire shield, burning hands; Price 2,700 gp; Weight negligible.

Also, Debby: Nice pie domain!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    I have only one question, Neo - from what dark, twisted depth of your mind did you dredge forth the idea of a Vengeance goddess who is also the patron of bakers?
    Well, she started out as only the goddess of vengeance... but somehow pastries crossed my mind. As she's a practical sort of goddess, using baking to raise funds seemed perfectly reasonable to her. If you notice, a lot of the magical pastries are vengeance or divination focused, as those are two of her main interests.

I essentially just made up the second pastry's price... Still need suggestions. Anyway, I think this is about the end of it for now; my brilliant, related ideas are exhausted. I do still need to flesh out the master baker though...

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Have you statted out Rivia as a diety or would you consider doing so? I'd be willing to help with this. How widespread is her religion anyway? Vengeance gods and goddesses seem to pop up all over the place so she's got a lot of competition there.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    Have you statted out Rivia as a diety or would you consider doing so? I'd be willing to help with this. How widespread is her religion anyway? Vengeance gods and goddesses seem to pop up all over the place so she's got a lot of competition there.

Debby
    I appreciate the offer, but I don't stat out my deities (at least, not in the fight-able creature sense if that's what you mean). Oh! I see I never posted her overview here. I ought to fix that!

Rivia, goddess of vengeance and wrath, is chaotic evil. Her clergy in Neftsalyi’dam (who may be NE, CE, or TN) tend to be patient and far-sighted like their deity, though they are less prone to mirror her fits of annihilation . Rivia has no love for tradition or formality, except as a necessity for an ends, but she has a remarkable grasp of each individual’s nature, desires, and dislikes thanks in large part to her divination magic. As such, diviners make up a number of her worshippers (NE, CE, TN, or CN). Her favored weapons are the javelin and the kukri. Chaos, Destruction, Divination, Evil, and Magic are her domains. A blade dripping blue blood is Rivia’s symbol.

I do intend on fleshing out her various sects more... Ideas for that, or more details about her personality, would be welcome!

Her religion is one of the lesser ones in Neftsalyi'dam, but like all the deities, she's known pretty much throughout the world. There are only twenty deities, so they tend to stick to their own portfolios; they each tend to find their own niche pretty well. Throughout the continent, there tend to be three sects of Rivia (which need a lot of elaboration, I know):

The Cerulean Ones: These CG followers of Rivia (though a few CN can be found amongst their ranks) view her as a vengeful deity furious with the corruption and hypocrisy in the world. Most of the Cerulean Ones are blue amarel’neve and the few others are either human or elf. They view themselves as Rivia’s chosen ones and seek to convert other followers of her as well as diminish the power of Febroc (LE god of corruption) and Caecius (CE god of defilement). The Cerulean Ones either dye part of their skin bright blue with berries or other substances, or they wear at least one garment of the same color. Some mages are found in the sect, particularly diviners and bards. Clerics of this sect have access to two of the following domains: Chaos, Destruction, and Magic. They portray Rivia as a six-armed blue-skinned humanoids.

"Mainstream" Church: In most regions, they focus on Rivia as a CE goddess of revenge and destruction.

Non-Chaotic Sects: Some NE and TN worshippers focus on Rivia's far-sighted attributes instead of her anger, particularly those in nations which tend towards LG. Wizards who focus upon divination are the most likely to subscribe to this interpretation of her.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

This reminds me of when I custom made a magic cook for a character that took leadership. Fried potato wedges were an item they could make infinitely that added +2 fort but -2 reflex

But with all of these magical desserts that grant abilities, does anyone have homebrew for how my mystic theurge is going to keep the weight off?
    Last edited by Elves-as-People; 2009-10-26 at 11:33 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

What, running around the dungeon avoiding all the pitfalls doesn't burn enough calories? Pshaw! Besides Igor Buttercrisp, my very very fat culinary mage, would say, "Life is short so eat dessert first!"

However, even the most avid adventurerer will find herself somewhat dismayed as a few weeks of tavern fare will have rounded her formerly concave midde a tad.

Hence I bring you...

The Dieter Prestige Class

Description:You are overweight, think you are overweight or currently have the Deformity (Obese) Feat and you truly want to be thinner. Dieting is not for sissies.

Hit Die: d8

Requirements

To qualify to become a Dieter, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

Race: You must be Humanoid or Monstrous Humanoid to qualify for this class.
    Skills: Must have 8 or more Ranks in Profession (chef, cook or other culinary job) and 8 ranks in Survival
    Weight: you must be at least overweight for your race, height and age.
    Restrictions: May not have Deformity (Gaunt) feat or Slight Build.

Class Skills: The dieter's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Concentration (Con), Gather Information (Cha), Knowledge(Local and Nature) (Int), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (cook, chef or other culinary job), Sense Motive (Wis) and Survival (Wis)

Skill points at each level: 6 + Int Modifier

DIETER PRESTIGE CLASS
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
    +1
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    Nutritious Not Necessarily Delicious
    |—
    2nd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |
    Looking Good
    |+1 level of current spellcasting class

3rd|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    Body Armor

4th|
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    Death By Chocolate

5th|
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |
    Sweet Success
    |+1 level of current spellcasting class[/table]

Class Features
    All of the following are Class Features of the dieter prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A dieter is proficient in all simple and martial weapons, light armor, medium armor and shield. A dieter is also proficient with the following improvised weapons: frying pans, cutlery, bottles and plates.

Nutritious Not Necessarily Delicious (Sp): At first level, the dieter gains the ability to cast create food and water as a spell-like ability once per day. This has the added benefit of making meal planning, preparation and clean-up much easier. Unfortunately, the food is rather bland.

Looking Good (Ex): You have been faithful to your dieting class, but haven't forgotten that prejudice against the overweight exists. You gain a +2 bonus to Diplomacy checks and Sense Motive checks when dealing with members of your own race. If you have the ability to shapechange, these bonuses extend to whatever humanoid or monstrous humanoid race you take.

Body Armor (Ex): The extra weight that you carried with you acts like a barrier in more ways than one. Shedding that weight for toned muscle is even better. You gain +1 natural armor bonus. This does not stack if you already have a natural armor bonus.

Death by Chocolate (Ex): Everyone has a weakness. You temporarily gain one negative level if you fail a Will save to resist any food item. This negative levels lasts for 24 hours. In return, you gain an immunity to all non-magical poisons.

Sweet Success (Ex): Congratulations, you have successfully completed your dieting class. If you have the Deformity (Obese) Feat, you must exchange it for another feat. You gain a permanent +2 bonus to Con for having achieved goal weight.

Ex-Dieters
    An ex-dieter is one who reaches his or her desired weight, presumably this is the goal of every memeber of the class. If you ever become fat by choice, such as by taking the Deformity (Obese) feat, you lose all access to your dieter special abilities. This prevents enemies from force-feeding you to make you an ex-dieter and it also prevents things like pregnancy which causes weight gain from making you an ex-dieter. However, becoming cursed to gain weight as the direct result of your actions results in your loss of special abilities until the curse is removed.
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2009-10-29 at 05:58 PM. Reason: It is Finished

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

Haha. Does this mean we need to start a new thread on d20 weight loss (and even weight gain)?

"I don't know, rogue... that armors pretty tight, and you ate a lot. I think it's going to take you an extra round to get in that."

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

What can I say I was "inspired." Actually, now that I started the Dieter PrC, I'm going to see if I can actually make something of it. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Debby

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

It should be useful to characters of all kinds, so advancement of class features like Legacy Champion would be appropriate, I think.

As for actual abilities, that may be a tad more difficult, given many people backslide when trying to diet, which makes for some weird leveling. Would you become an ex-dieter if you gained the weight back? Lose levels in the class?

I think the class should have a good Will save progression, to show the willpower you need to keep the weight off and make good decisions in your progression through. Perhaps a bonus to resist compulsions on top of that could be in order. Bonuses to physical skills as you learn proper exercises to best take the weight off could also be appropriate.

Them's my 2 coppers. Take as you will.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'd say high will high fort (willpower and physically enduring hunger pains)

Also, should it add armor and weapon proficiencies or should it be more caster/fighter neutral?

Has anyone ever tried to make a d20 weight gain/loss system? Class levels should add bonuses to doing so but if there aren't any mechanics it might diminish the class' usefulness.
    Last edited by Elves-as-People; 2009-10-27 at 01:05 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Would you become an ex-dieter if you gained the weight back? Lose levels in the class?
    Actually, I've been thinking out this.

I was also thinking about perhaps making it a special requirement that the dieter spend 1 hour a week in exercise. For every week that a dieter fails to exercise, he or she loses access to the dieter's special abilities.

An ex-dieter is one who reaches goal weight, so presumably the goal of the class to to attain a healthy body and become an ex-dieter. If you ever become Fat by choice, such as by taking the Deformity (Obese) feat, you lose all access to your dieter special abilities. This prevents enemies from force-feeding you to make you an ex-dieter and it also prevents things like pregnancy which causes weight gain from making you an ex-dieter.

I like the idea of this class getting the ability to cast create food and water as a spell-like ability once a day. After the all, the food is nutritious but bland. There are so many diets that require you to buy special food: Jenny Craig or SlimFast where you eat something out of a box or a food supplement. This just seemed appropriate to me.

I was thinking of making the capstone that a dieter gains a permanent +2 bonus to Con for having achieved goal weight.

That still leaves three levels to consider.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2009-10-27 at 02:55 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

Steady Dieter: A Dieter may lose 2 pounds of fat per week without any negative side effects.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

If you are going for humor (which you almost certainly are), then you might want to see if there is ANY way you can work the term "hip points" into the mechanics of the class. I realize that may seem gender-slanted, but I think that it is worth it for the sake of that good of a pun.
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ooooo... but would hip points be good or bad? What effects might they have?

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elves-as-People View Post
    Ooooo... but would hip points be good or bad? What effects might they have?
    Hip points sound like a negative to me, as having more would imply you have bigger hips, which may imply that you're fatty or that you just have birthing hips.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    Hip points sound like a negative to me, as having more would imply you have bigger hips, which may imply that you're fatty or that you just have birthing hips.
    That would be my gut reaction as well...
    Extended Signature

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

Makes sense. What if the character is more apple shaped?

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

These are all nice ideas but I have no idea how to impliment the mechanics of them into D&D rules.

I've also been adding special abilities to the dieter class. It's done. Please PEACH.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2009-10-28 at 07:22 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

It's...rather underpowered, actually. Gaining create food and drink 1/day? immunity to nonmagic poisons? You could probably break this down to 3 levels, which may be more desirable as less of a diversion. Quashing features together over less levels makes it more desirable for joke characters.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

Also, it would be very hindering for casters to take this. Maybe make one of the levels improve spells in exchange for not getting shield prof?

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

This quite the niche prestige class. And no it isn't underpowered at all. You just aren't seeing the value in small things. This class is geared far more towards role-playing than roll-playing.

Not having to worry about rations can be a much bigger deal than you think. You'll feel differently when rats get into your supplies while in that musty dungeon. Or if your rations get wet and spoil, that's never fun. "An army travels on it stomach" is a wise thing to remember. Giving it out 3/day would negate the need for rations altogether for a standard party and that would be too powerful.

Immunity to non-magical poisons is a terrific benefit. Full poison immunity shouldn't come into play until epic levels. This class can be taken at 5th level. I think eating fugu without fear of repercussions would be worth it. Come to think of it, it makes that wild mushroom stew a lot safer too. Not to mention that this gives you immunity to alcohol poisoning. Considering how much time adventurers spend in cheap taverns, it's amazing that they don't all get food poisoning on a regular basis. Oh wait, sometimes they do.

Debby

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

I like it, and definitely see how it's useful, but it interferes a lot with caster abilities

Should there be a caster version? I'll have to think about that one for a while.

Behold:

The Fitnomancer:

While your lack of exercise during your arcane university studies have left you softer around the middle, that's no reason you can't get back in shape and unravel arcane mysteries at the same time!

d4

Prereq.
    Able to cast 3rd level spells
    Knowledge (Arcana) 8
    ???

Class Skills (2+int) (Balance, Concentration, Escape Artist, Jump, Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (Nature), Perform (Dance), Spellcraft, Swim, Tumble)

And abilities I have yet to flesh out (rimshot)

Yoga - Regain a spell once per day through exercise?

Aerobomancy - The exercise routines you now work into your very spell casting lead to your somatic components becoming a series of movements that confuse and hinder your foes. You no longer provoke when casting spells due to the distracted state of your adversaries. Cannot be used with stilled spells.

PEACH
    Last edited by Elves-as-People; 2009-10-29 at 02:51 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

As a more generalist class, adding +1 level of current spellcasting class or psionic class wouldn't matter much. However, there are better classes that suit spellcasters better than this.

Debby

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

Even as RP PRCs, i still think 5 levels is a long time to devote to fitness. I think cutting back to 3 levels would be more fitting and achievable goal.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

I had considered that. Still, getting that +2 to Con at the end might be worth it for 5 levels, getting it in 3 is most certainly overpowered. In general, I don't like making only 3-level prestige classes. That's not enough time to flesh out it out. Prestige classes should be campaign sensitive. They aren't meant to be useful to everyone in every campaign. However, if the objective is to lose the Deformity (Obese) feat, this class lets you do that.

Aerobomancy - The exercise routines you now work into your very spell casting lead to a series of movements than confuse and hinder your foes. You no longer provoke when casting spells due to the distracted state of your adversaries.
    Your foes will target that caster for hold person spell, which will prevent him or her from casting spells. Being tied up does the same thing. I'd say that is far more of a liability than my class. Requiring dance moves to cast spells has the same drawback.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2009-10-29 at 04:40 AM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Most spells already require somatic components. This just adds them to the rest, and makes them more flamboyant. It should include a clause that it can't be combined with stilled spells, but other than that, I don't think you are thinking this through.
    Extended Signature

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ya... it was just a funny idea that popped into my head and I'm seeing what I can make of it after the fact. I added clarifications in line with what you said.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Well, I've thought about adding spellcasting to it. I think trading one level of spells for a 1/day spell-like ability is a good trade, even if the spell isn't an offensive or defensive one.

What do you think now?

Debby