New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Xenotheurgy: Far Realms magic system

Unfortunately, Primal Fury, I don't have enough time to make a whole bunch of freaky-beyond-freaky items for them to craft. I did make a couple more of the far-realmsy alchemic items though so I may post that up later along with a revision of the far realms alchemy feat.
    Also, what you are looking for seems very vague. Rather than a category of items, you just seem to be looking for a catelogue of warped curios, something that would likely include woundous items, alchemic items, cursed items, artifacts, intelligent creatures, and living items (as detailed in Complete Scoundrel).
    If I had tme, I would make you that catalogue (I might be able to do so from Japan but I'll make no promies).

Isfreak- I wil take that formatting tip into acount. However, is a space needed between two paragraphs of a single ability. I imagine that it might be easier to read but would look weird (and less like a DND book).

Also, it is pretty quick and easy to slap on blessed xenotheurgy to any preexisting villain without even increasing CR. As indicated in the second post, you can decide the murmur (and the breaches that come with it) via a d20 roll and a disturbance to go with it via a d% roll.
    After that, all you have to do is hand-select an incursion, roll 1d6 to decide the level of the murmur, and use the 13-step guide to add this information to your villain's statblock.
    As a plus, xenotheurgy provides something oxymoronic that view villains in DnD can get, a dramatic anticlimax. After a long fight, they call forth one of their most powerful abilities and though it goes through, the enemy is crippled beyond the ability to escape, letting the PCs stomp on its skull or take them prisoner.
    Trust me when I say that little is scarier than when the source of power that your villain relies on seems to decide that they are not evil/crazy enough.
    I'm try not to be too vain but this was too perfect not to sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fury View Post
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!
    At long last, I have an extended signature

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

No, you seemed to understand everything just fine.

3 notes to make, though

1. breach bonus/penaly applies to all will saves, not just those involved in staying sane.

2. not using incursions drive up your murmur levels and incursions can spring up (all at once instead of 1 at a time) against your will when crazy, incapacitated by a murmur, or approaching death.

3. At low health, your breaches become more powerful and you gain a +4 breach bonus (empowerment).
    Cool, just confirming that I udnerstood..... as I said great work just a bit confusing.

Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by aje8; 2009-08-26 at 08:44 PM.
    Fire Emblem Optimizer and Game Balancer (apparently) in the Playground
    A note on using my Fire Emblem rules:
    Spoiler
    Show

I'm mostly retired from Fire Emblem PbPs, and indeed the PbPs in general at present. So if you wish to use my character creation rules, I would appreciate a PM, but feel free to start the game before I respond, as it might be a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisti
    "Reason itself is fallible, for logic must account for all the crazy **** wizards keep doing."
    Harry Dresden Avatar by Deuxhero

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

This is...

Glorious.

So humongously immense that I haven't read it fully yet, but still.

Glorious.

Bookmarked. Right there along with the list of stuff made by Krimm, Demented One and Zeta Kai. Actually I am still going to bookmark Zeta's list, but the fact remains.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Aargh!!!

Due to a bunch of obstacles that came up IRL, I'm going to have to finish this up in Japan. I learned that I'll have internet access over there (at least for awhile) so that shouldn't be too much of a problem, however.

Sorry, guys.
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Realms of Chaos View Post
    Aargh!!!

Due to a bunch of obstacles that came up IRL, I'm going to have to finish this up in Japan. I learned that I'll have internet access over there (at least for awhile) so that shouldn't be too much of a problem, however.

Sorry, guys.
    Well, at least you're not gonna be out of touch. It'll be like your not leaving at all. In which case, I take every nice thing that I said about you.

6. - Top - End - #66

Griffon

While I have the oppertunity, I just want to say that this is so cool that I had to spend a while just thinking about how to introduce this into my setting without destroying my world from it's sheer awesomeness. You've really found a way to take the magic is chaos and cursed with awesome tropes and make it into a new and wonderful casting system (and I love variant casting systems). Thank you for blowing us all away with this project.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Bugbear in the Playground

Unfortunately, Primal Fury, I don't have enough time to make a whole bunch of freaky-beyond-freaky items for them to craft. I did make a couple more of the far-realmsy alchemic items though so I may post that up later along with a revision of the far realms alchemy feat.
    You misunderstand RoC, I'm not asking you to make these things, I'm simply wondering if any given Xenothurge will have the means to do so if they choose.
    My Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

For balance reasons, probably not.

The thing is, if I give a player free license to create "freaky things" without a precise rule system for how they do so, what the item can do, how much they cost in the market place, etc, the system will be broken by the first player who gets their hands on it.

9. - Top - End - #69

For balance reasons, probably not.

The thing is, if I give a player free license to create "freaky things" without a precise rule system for how they do so, what the item can do, how much they cost in the market place, etc, the system will be broken by the first player who gets their hands on it.
    Well of course there would be a system or rules for creating such things. That's like saying that no body else has to follow any rules for creating magical items. Which... is precisely why you can't do that, given how much time that would take. Ah.
    My Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #70
    Halfling in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Xenotheurgy: Far Realms magic system

I just died, went to heaven, and came back

this is the best thing i have seen for a Lovecraftian class since Demented's Vestiges.
    also, due to the fact that this is comepletely different from most all magic systems, it has the correct 'alien' feel. just reading the fluff of this has driven me over the brink.

You sir, are a goddamned genius, maybe a mad genius, but still a goddamned genius.
    Last edited by Kuma; 2009-09-02 at 03:43 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
    Ia! Ia! Cthulu Ftagn!
    Spread Hugs, not Drugs!

11. - Top - End - #71
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Question Re: Xenotheurgy: Far Realms magic system

One question: In the far realms description, you mention multidimensional beings and elder ones. I'm new to the forum, so I haven't really looked around much, but is there some place that gives stats for them?

Thanks
    -----------
    No trees were killed in the production of this message, but several trillion electrons were sorely inconvenienced
    -----------

-----------

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ori_natic View Post
    is there some place that gives stats for them?
    That would sort of defeat the point, would it not?
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

13. - Top - End - #73
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

True... I suppose indescribable cosmic horror does imply a certain lack of ... describability
    -----------
    No trees were killed in the production of this message, but several trillion electrons were sorely inconvenienced
    -----------

-----------

14. - Top - End - #74

So, when do we get to see the rest of the breaches? I'm very impressed so far, and would greatly appreciate it if you would post the remaining ones, if you have time that is

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

The... screen is still all stretched out for me. On the first page, of course.

Any chance of fixing the stretching? Or is my Compy going crazy on me...?

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Well, Matar, I see three possibilities:
    1. Your computor has an unusually small screem
    2. You have unspoilered one of the few images that stretches the screen a bit.
    3. Your Compy is going crazy on you.

I will try to get back to work soon.

17. - Top - End - #77

That would be nice Realms. The class is pure win. Unfortunatley, it's unplayable without breaches. And I'd really like to play this class.
    Fire Emblem Optimizer and Game Balancer (apparently) in the Playground
    A note on using my Fire Emblem rules:
    Spoiler
    Show

I'm mostly retired from Fire Emblem PbPs, and indeed the PbPs in general at present. So if you wish to use my character creation rules, I would appreciate a PM, but feel free to start the game before I respond, as it might be a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisti
    "Reason itself is fallible, for logic must account for all the crazy **** wizards keep doing."
    Harry Dresden Avatar by Deuxhero

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Truly absurdly large amounts of win. I am humbled.

I plan on giving this a play some time soon. I'd prefer all the breaches to be up, but otherwise I've got the go ahead to use what is posted.

Once again, humbled.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Very nice indeed. I'm looking forward to the completed product.

Also: Metabreaches as they are, I believe you can throw all your metamagic onto one breach and have as much detrimental effect as if you had just thrown on one.

You may want to at least make a prerequisite for them, such as Quicken needing three other metabreach feats or something akin to that.

If you had another balance mechanism in mind, sorry for infringing upon you, just trying to offer advice.

Gonna try runnin one of these in a relatively low level campaign. Should be interesting to say the least.
    Last edited by Airman; 2009-12-08 at 11:05 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80

SwashbucklerGuy

Just couldn't resist posting about the sheet, almight awesome-ness that this is. Just wow The amount of work, level of skill and dedication, and simply time and thought put into this is simply so amazing, that you deserve all the praise that you can get.

So wow. Congratulations. You are officially on (at least on my list) the peak of homebrewing . Bask in that glory and continue with the phenominal work

21. - Top - End - #81

NecromancerGuy

Is alphabetical order really the best way to list the breaches?

Also, much praise. Strong compulsion to play a True Xenotheurgist now.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Thumbs up Re: Xenotheurgy: Far Realms magic system

Would love to have this in PDF form for use and to kill by awesomeness people that think homebrew is broken and very unbalanced.

23. - Top - End - #83

I just finished reading the write-up and I absolutely love it!

Any news on when we can read about the remaining breaches?

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Just threw up another 2 dozen breaches up (those from the reflections of nightmare and generous madness murmurs). I'm sorry if those aren't the ones that everyone was madly craving for at the moment.

As for alphabetical order, I did it primarily because that's how its done with pretty much everything else. Everything from spells to invocations to soul melds is done in alphabetical order (with the one exception of maneuvers which are broken up into disciplines).

If I end up making a PDF, however (or if somebody else does), I (or they) may have to consider the option of ordering them by murmur from lowest to highest level. Unlike the aforementioned magic sources, you can't have access to one breach without needing information on others from the murmur eventually so it is worth considering.
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2009-12-23 at 10:56 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Yay, more breaches!

Keep up the good work. Also, I was just wondering, but which murmurs already have their breaches done?

As for the issue of order, I myself think that the breaches are in line with maneuvers in being better sorted by the murmurs (or disciples in the case of maneuvers).

Owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

26. - Top - End - #86

NecromancerGuy

I have actually arranged the first post of breaches into an ascending list if breaches for each murmur. This was mainly so I could compare what they can do, but it would be pointless to double-work.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

So far, Murmurs completed include:

Blasphemous Avenger
    Called From Nothing
    Endless Evolution
    Eternal Anathema
    Generous Madness
    Reflection of Nightmare
    Road to Nowhere
    Soothing Insanity
    Unbalanced Scales
    Waking Dream

That's 10/20 so I'm halfway done. In case it isn't obvious, I'm not doing these in alphabetical order. Rather, I'm doing these murmurs in the order that I originally dreamed them up, as they appear right now on my computor.

Currently about 1/3 of the way done with sinister persuasion.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

I haven't read it, not entirely at least.

Though I do believe that this is probably one of the most mind blowing magic systems ever conceived.

However, I do believe that there is one major flaw which has probably been pointed out many a time already.

It's so text heavy that I believe it's gameplay usage as a system is....not so good.

Perhaps it's the limits of the forums, but... yeah..
    Please check out my homebrew and P.E.A.C.H..

All of my work is for Pathfinder, but can be used for 3.5 as they are compatible enough.

Helmets

Pathfinder Druid Variant - Bonded Wild Shape

Never Die Feat

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Narmy View Post
    one of the most mind blowing magic systems ever conceived.
    Isn't that the point of the far realms?

Anyways, it doesn't seem particularly any more text heavy than shadow magic or binding. It just isn't officially published or well known. I think it is fine myself and look forward to when all the breaches are done (or at least all my favorite ones) so that I may make and use a character that is afflicted with this ability.

Owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

30. - Top - End - #90
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I see what you mean but I think that this thing is less "text heavy" and more "math heavy". Even then, though, I think that it is a bit of a stretch.

Xenotheurgy requires you to keep track of slightly different things. Rather than prepared spells, spell slots, essentia, or power points, you are tracking two different things.
    1. Increasing and decreasing numbers (days without incursion, breach bonus, murmur level, save DCs)
    2. Have I used this ability today or not.

It ends up with a bit more work on the part of the player but not too much.