New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Wyrm's Flight (IC)

Spoiler
    Show
    Definitely interested in what is being cast, (1d20+19)[26] if only to understand what type of casters they are and who we're working with.

Sorry for the delay in posting, weird time zones make strange timing.

Vanai stands up from her cowering position and regains composure just in time to hear the words 'dismissed'. Still mostly unawares of what exactly is going on having missed the start of the meeting, she follows the rest out after giving a bow to her Queen before leaving.

"I don't mean to sound heartless," she addresses everyone with her question, "but what exactly happened to the last members of the flight anyway? I seemed to have missed that memo..."

At that point her words are cut off with the Twilight Flight bursting in through the doors.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Adrian

Adrian peers at the excitement, more than a little curious - and more than a lot worried for Perth's safety after his drunken display last night.

spellcraft - (1d20+6)[20]
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

3. - Top - End - #33

"I get the distinct feeling that I'm missing something here." Vanai mutters to the others, but keeping herself to herself and just observing the events that are currently transpiring.

She couldn't help but go over in her head that she didn't know what happened to the previous members of the Flight, and what exactly she was meant to be doing. As far as she was concerned she just got scared half to death by an almighty dragon, and got told to complete a mission she was convinced she's no good for.

Why didn't I just settle down with the guy mother tried to set me up with.

Spoiler
    Show
    I know it sounds like I'm complaining about lack of info but I'm not - she's an over-analyzing, slightly paranoid, clueless ditz when it comes to normal actions and trains of thought

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Adrian

Adrian's expression immediately switched to one of anger at the scene before him. He walks purposefully toward the commander.

"Commander Gerian, I must object! Charming the mind of one of your own men - how could you!"

He manages not to outright cuss at his superior officer, but his tone is pretty far down the wrong side of respectful. He's out of line and he knows it. But that's been his whole career, and if Gerian or Inalia wanted him on this team they knew what they were inviting.

Now he stares at the erstwhile war hero with a demanding, outraged glare.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daedalus will watch the scene unfold unblinking, trying to piece together what might be happening from the gossip he's heard about the Twilight members. In the meantime, Alandair will clear his throat loudly, not wanting to eavesdrop on a private conversation even unintentionally.
    Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge Local - (1d20+8)[21] for the wyrmling if it helps...

6. - Top - End - #36

Vanai

Vanai steps forward and grabs the sleeve of Adrian - completely out of character but she felt almost compelled to.

"Adrian! Are you a madman?!" She exclaims, "What makes it any of your business in the first place? We have specifically been told to keep ourselves to ourselves. I really don't think that now is the time to make such a scene."

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Commander? With all due respect, what is going on here?" Alandair asks, confused but certain there is a good explanation for everything. His instincts as mediator take over and he spaces himself equally between Gerian and Adrian.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Adrian

Adrian looks back and forth between his partners' faces - Vanai's disapproval and Alandair's calm questioning - and then looks expectantly at Gerian, waiting for an answer.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I get IT!" Daedalus suddenly cheers, his voice breaking the tense silence into a billion pieces. "Mr. glassy-eyed Varnaki over here has been drinking alcohol like water ever since his 'good friend' Benny," the wyrmling winks to emphasize those two words, a strangely human expression for a dragon, "that's Beniwalen Akalan d'Arethlare of the Dawn Flight, by the way, was murdered along with the rest of his unit by the rebels who call themselves the Fire Within!! Since alcohol in large doses makes humanoids stupid and paranoid, (except for dwarves because Mr. Ironshield the tavern keeper says dwarves have a seperate stomach for alcohol), Varnaki probably just woke up from drinking and maybe even misbehavin' all night, and decided that his buddy's death is all Commander Gerain's fault somehow! So Varnaki gathers up his courage, gets his unit together so he can feel tougher, and throws a hissy-fit in front of the Commander, and the Commander decides he better subdue him with a spell rather than letting poor, hung-over Varnaki go on and on and on and embarrass himself more! That's why the rest of his unit are standing back letting it happen- they know he had it coming!! And no one wants to say anything aloud about it because they all want to save face for Varnaki!!!"

Thrilled that he 'figured it out', the wyrmling starts flying circles around the stunned group in his excitement and making his odd draconic laugh with glee.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: No idea how much of that is right or not, but that's what Daedalus thinks according to his 'knowledge'. Time to sit back and watch the fireworks now...
    Last edited by KnightOfV; 2009-08-26 at 06:32 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40

Gerian's glare - focused on Adrian - settles back to his normal frown. "Lord Daedalus has it right, of course. It is merely a spell to calm emotions and remove toxins from the system." He makes a small gesture at Varnaki, who blinks, stumbling forward slightly - Estevan moves to catch him. "Now, I suggest you turn in early to -"

Yulia's voice comes shrill and angry. "Lizard's dung! Does it take ten minutes to cast? Ten minutes - " she sends a murderous glare at Terri and Estevan " - which I spent on a wild goose chase for the admiral of the third fleet, who happens to be in Nortan? Undo it! Undo it, or I'll undo your face!"

Gerian's glare returns full force. "First of all, you have not the right nor power to threaten - to question - me. Second, no, it does not take ten minutes to cast, but there was some effort put in to subdue your cousin, as apparently he is as agile as usual even when drunk, should he feel like being so. And there is no harm done to him - ask him. He's right here, after all." He turns back to the Dawn one last time. "Eloire - if Miss Perth here has not the authority to question me, believe well that you do not either. I shall never be able to fathom why d'Arethlare chose you as his successor, but considering his - association - with certain others in this room, I suppose I should not be surprised." He stalks out of the hall, while the others stand in tense silence.
    Last edited by FirebirdFlying; 2009-08-26 at 08:50 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41

Vanai

Sighing, Vanai rolls her eyes at the events transpiring in front of her. She had no interest in other's affairs unless it concerned her - it isn't as if she would be working with these people from now on. They were on their own in their missions, no swapping Flights - they had been told that from the start.

"If they choose to employ such out of control ruffians to the Flight, maybe being chosen myself wasn't such a big deal afterall." Vanai mutters to herself, not really caring if anyone overhears her. Aside from Inalia herself, her first impressions of her new commanders and comrades had been less than ideal.

Even more out of character Vanai decides to speak up directing her question at the Commander with a look of pure determination on her face. "Now, I appreciate that we're new and wet behind the ears. I get it. I really do. But we were chosen for a reason to replace the people you lost. We're not stupid and we're more than worth the time of day it takes for you to tell us what is going on here. I'd like to think that the elite guard in charge of the defense of our great nation doesn't fall apart due to some petty teenage-like drama. We have a mission to do and I'd like a bit more info rather than a minor briefing. I value my life too highly to walk blindly into something that members of the Flight have already died trying to attempt."

She takes a deep breath and steps forward, slamming her hand down on the table. "I'm sorry those people died, I truly am, but if you're going to help prevent more deaths then we need to know what mistakes they made and what got them killed."

Her throat closed up the moment she finished her rant. The colour drained from her face and her stomach rose to remind her of how stupid she had just been to make demands. She had to force herself not to vomit over the table she was leaning against with pure panic.

Everything was just making her second guess once again whether she had woken up in her own mind this morning, or someone else's.

12. - Top - End - #42

Gerian stops at the door, turning to look at Vanai.

"Answers? I would love to give you them. Unfortunately, Miss Henshaw, we don't know the answers. Dawn all but disappeared six months ago with no contact beyond brief sendings to confirm they were alive. We know as little as you do, and as much as we pretend to know more to keep civilians happy, in this case, you have to be the ones to find out. I'd like to say we've employed all resources at our disposal to find information for you, but at this point you are the resources. We have a few contacts in the city, and you're to be given the information on them tomorrow morning. As for out-of-control ruffians - " he glances over at Perth " - I do not appoint Guardsmen to the Flights. Most of them I respect, Miss Henshaw, and believe me when I say I do not disrespect you beyond your inexperience. Some of them need to learn to toe the line." He leaves, with a look over his shoulder. "Tomorrow morning, dawn, my office."

As he speaks, Yulia has been whispering to Varnaki, who frowns and, twisting out of her grasp, disappears in a flash of shadow. She stands for a moment, then whirls around and runs out the door, cursing.

Estevan and Terri look at each other, and Estevan turns to face Vanai. "It's not such a secret, but we're always surprised when we reach a level we thought beyond us and find the people there to be just as flawed as we. Despite what you think of him, Varnaki Perth was a good teammate and friend - as is Yulia, and your new Flight. For being in such a dangerous occupation, he knew surprisingly little about death, and that came out in the last few days.

"Aldos Gerian is not out for your deaths. To him, we are all valuable resources, and he does not throw those away. And - " he cracks a small smile " - the elite guard in charge of our nation's defense is rather depressingly petty, at times, but in no danger of falling apart."
    Last edited by FirebirdFlying; 2009-08-26 at 11:04 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43

Vanai

"Yes... well..." Vanai steps back sheepishly. "That's alright then isn't it."

She was considering the guild's offer of a portable hole, because then the ground could really open up and swallow her.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm a bit confused. I thought we were all dismissed out of the dragon's chamber? Where/when is all this taking place, then?

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

Adrian

Adrian shuts his mouth and stays quiet as the truth of the matter comes out, and through the ensuing argument. Even though he was the first one to challenge the commander, most of the ire was directed at Vanai for her tirade.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanai
    "If they choose to employ such out of control ruffians to the Flight, maybe being chosen myself wasn't such a big deal afterall."
    Adrian happens to catch her mumbling this, and looks at her in surprise. Apparently he's not the only one with a less-than-perfect service record. Maybe she's right, he thinks.

Shaking his head, he gets ready to slink out of the palace and back to his own quarters, if they aren't needed anymore today...

Spoiler
    Show

@Tyrael: in the antechamber or hallway outside of the throne room, it seems.

@Firebird: Are we fast-forwarding to tomorrow morning, or what's next?
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2009-08-27 at 01:33 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46

Spoiler
    Show
    I believe all the wibbly-dream-stuff happens when we fall asleep. Heh. I want to make my character an insomniac now just to be awkward

17. - Top - End - #47

Spoiler
    Show

@Tyrael: The hall you're in contains quite a bit of Inalia's hoard, but she isn't actually in it; she's outside, up the stairs, on a plaza.

@Poet: Well, it's early afternoon right now; you can go ahead and fast forward to nighttime. If you need to pick something up in the city, go ahead and do that. Once everyone's gone to bed, we're in dreamland.

Vanai, for instance, might want to talk with her artificer friend.

18. - Top - End - #48

Spoiler
    Show
    Ooh ok, hint taken Damn, almost forgotten about Leadership too. Is that Salyssa by the way? If it is, I'll edit this post and say what happens.

19. - Top - End - #49

Spoiler
    Show

No, it's not necessarily Salyssa, but if you want her to be she is. Whoever you feel like, really.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

Alandair sighs and rests a hand over his face for a second in a quick expression of his exasperation. Problems at home and abroad, and it seems like his dragon was not the only one who did not know when to keep his mouth shut. Patience, patience...It had been an eventful afternoon.

Trying to chase the mood away, he bows to his new teammates and says, "It seems we are to be working together for quite a while. Some of you I know of, but I do not believe we have all been properly introduced thanks to all of the... commotion today. I am Alandair Numanai, servant of Inalia and Bahamut. If I can be of any assistance to you, please do not hesitate to talk to me. It is a pleasure to be working with all of you." With a wave of his hand, the wrymling returns to his shoulder and yawns mightily.

21. - Top - End - #51

Vanai

"I am Vanai Henshaw, as I'm sure you've heard already. Big mouth extraordinaire, it seems." She sighs heavily and shakes her head at her own actions. "If you'll excuse me I have some business to attend to. Namely making sure that I woke up with my own mind today..." She mutters something inaudiable as she wanders off, somewhat spacey, tuning her Lute as she walks.

--

It takes her a while to arrive, but Vanai finally gets to the University and knocks on Salyssa's office.

Tap Tap. Pause. Tap Tap Tap. Pause. Ta-Tap.

Click

The door unlocks and she stumbles in to see Salyssa working diligently on some paperwork. "I didn't think I'd see you again today. You didn't get in too much trouble, did you?"

"I can't say that I did. At least not about being late anyway..." Vanai slumps down into the comfy-chair by the fire and sighs. "It's best not to talk about it. However I do want to know if we've had any word from the council though - do we have the green light for funding or not? I may have need for the workshop sometime soon."

22. - Top - End - #52

Spoiler
    Show

Did you want me to RP Salyssa, or are you taking control?

23. - Top - End - #53

Spoiler
    Show
    You can do it, I don't mind. It was just a thrown-in sentance to make it flow a little better.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

Adrian (at the castle)

"I'm Eloire. Adrian Eloire. Formerly a Captain in the army... now, a Wing."

Adrian states the titles perfunctorily, as if it's expected of him. He does not seem to be bragging in any way.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

If Alandair is miffed by the woman's abrupt departure he does not show it. He nods at the professional sounding Adrian, he does look tired, probably was up working late last night and turns to look for the kobold. Not seeing small flight member, (either because Alandair is oblivious or because he is not there) the dracolyte responds, "I have some duties of my own I should look in to, as do you I am sure. Until tomorrow then."

"Goodbye! Thrilled to meet you all! Let's talk more later I hope we can all be the bestest of fri..."the little wyrm's voice fades in the distance as Alandair walks down the hall to his quarters.
    Last edited by KnightOfV; 2009-08-28 at 11:02 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56

@Angel:
    Spoiler
    Show

Let's take it to PM, then, if you please.

Assuming y'all have done what you need/want to do…

The sun rises bright and early over the small camp, illuminating first the remains of the fire and stretching out over the waking people, the horse (tethered to a small wagon), the bare stretch of road beyond. A man is already awake - as your mind sharpens into the memories of this world, you recognize him as Tormin, who hired you to guard him and his family between the towns of Tenstone and River's End.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

So these are our 1st level dream characters then? What camp are they in? Can I assume we all know each other, since we were all hired for the same job?

Also, one more question.... do our 1st level characters dream of our high-level characters, or just the other way around?

28. - Top - End - #58

Spoiler
    Show

Yes - they're just in a small camp composed of a wagon (with unknown contents), a donkey, Tormin, his pregnant wife, his daughter, and the four of them. You know each other a little - you've been on the road a couple of days, and so may have gotten to know each other during that time.

And your 1st level characters don't dream of the 10th level ones. They are also not lucid dreams - Adrian can't control Rafale, he only wakes up with the knowledge of what Rafale has done.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

Rafale

Rafale walks the perimeter of the camp, peering for a long moment in each direction before moving on to the next. He looks energetic and alert, especially for someone who just got up; his eyes are bright, his henna-dyed hair is spiked as if there is no such thing as bedhead, and his nicely cut doublet is clean and well-cared for under his burnished chain vest.

The swordsman completes his circuit and nods a greeting to Tormin. He has proven himself not to be the talkative type, yet he seems friendly enough. He walks with a self-contained confidence, not noticing the weight of the two crossbows slung from his bandolier. The weapons don't match, and seem an odd fit for someone who is clearly more of a fencer than a shooter.

He approaches the wagon and picks up with leather-fronted wooden shield, which had hung there for the night. He fits its straps to his arm and then goes to check on the animals.
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2009-09-01 at 07:22 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Dwarf in the Playground

Magnus

The rays of dawn peek over a bedroll near the fire, and slowly creep across until they are over a certain half-elf's eyes. The half-elf sits up with a start, gasping as if he had been stabbed and tries to throw the tangled blankets off him with little success. He raises a hand to shield his eyes from the light shining directly at him and rolls around a moment on the dirt before managing to extricate himself from the bedroll. The bedding looked twisted even before his awakening, as if the occupant had been thrashing about during the night, and though the night was cool the man's hair is matted down with perspiration.

"What was that nightmare? Or was it a vision..."
    Magnus whispers and shivers a little thinking about the massive platinum dragon that gazed at him in his sleep with teeth that could rend mountains and eyes that could pierce the soul. It had spoke to him in a strange growling hiss and said-- nothing he could understand certainly. He didn't speak dragon after all. It was just a dream.

Magnus is wearing only a pair of breeches, an undershirt, and a leather cord around his neck with a wood carving of a dragon at its center. He scratches at his longish, unkempt brown hair and glances around the camp with squinting green eyes. His few possessions: a worn chain shirt, weather stained boots, knapsack with one strap falling off, a serviceable cloak, an old wooden shield propped up on the pack, and lastly a large pick slightly rusted in places, lay lying in a pile near him. Usually he would mutter over how early it was, but being spooked by his dream he climbs to his knees and offers prayers to Bahamut as he was taught, asking for strength and luck on the journey ahead and praying that they might all arrive safely.
    Last edited by KnightOfV; 2009-09-01 at 08:14 PM.