Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 39 of 39
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    deuxhero's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Fl

    Default Re: Bard or Beguiler?

    Isn't Open Locks a class skill for Beguilers but not Bards?

  2. - Top - End - #32
    Superhero in the Playground Moderator
     
    Mark Hall's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bard or Beguiler?

    Those who are jealous of a bard's awesome quotient frequently dismiss them as "signing". Bards need not sing.

    Bards can dance... and with Tumble and Improved Unarmed Strike, they are practicing Capoeria.

    Bards can use the drums... and light maces + percussion skill + two-weapon fighting is a nasty-fun combination.

    Bards can orate. Don't believe that's effective? Listen to the St. Crispin's Day speech (especially with a Ghost-sound provided orchestra rising the background) and don't get stirred.

    Bards can do comedy. A bard who tells puns, inspiring his allies to hit people harder.

    Bards can chant, and that's a freaky one. A bunch of dwarves, lead by their bard, each chanting in unison. "I wanna be a dwarven fighter/smashing orcs and other blighters."

    Bards can use stringed instruments. Bards with high enough ranks in Fiddle automatically have a golden fiddle.1

    More importantly, though, bards tell stories. Bards tell the stories of our adventures, they tell stories about their unending fidelity, and they tell stories about your fighters hygeine that have to be smelled to believe. What do beguilers do? It's right in the name: they lie. Beguilers lie like dogs, and cannot be trusted. They use the fact that Wizards, bereft of any remaining awesome (having spent it ALL on bards), were forced to give beguilers mechanical crutches to get around the fact that they lie and they smell funny. And carry diseases.

    It is well known that bards are all fantastically endowed paragons of their gender, while beguilers are lying, disease-ridden deviates... and not even the fun kind of deviates. The kind of deviates that even make Blackguards go "That dude has something seriously wrong with him." And I'm not talking pansy blackguards. I'm talking the kind of blackguards who were paladins until they tasted their first baby and said "Yum. I think I'll eat more of these."

    So play a bard. Because bards are awesome. And beguilers cheat at cards. ALL THE TIME.



    1Golden fiddle not included. Offer void in certain Crystal Spheres. Consult your local overdeity for details.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Savage Scrolls: A Savage Worlds/Elder Scrolls Conversion
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Avatar is from local user Mehangel
    API Anthology 1 from Drivethru RPG.
    If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

  3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Tyger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007

    Default Re: Bard or Beguiler?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Those who are jealous of a bard's awesome quotient frequently dismiss them as "signing". Bards need not sing.

    Bards can dance... and with Tumble and Improved Unarmed Strike, they are practicing Capoeria.

    Bards can use the drums... and light maces + percussion skill + two-weapon fighting is a nasty-fun combination.

    Bards can orate. Don't believe that's effective? Listen to the St. Crispin's Day speech (especially with a Ghost-sound provided orchestra rising the background) and don't get stirred.

    Bards can do comedy. A bard who tells puns, inspiring his allies to hit people harder.

    Bards can chant, and that's a freaky one. A bunch of dwarves, lead by their bard, each chanting in unison. "I wanna be a dwarven fighter/smashing orcs and other blighters."

    Bards can use stringed instruments. Bards with high enough ranks in Fiddle automatically have a golden fiddle.1

    More importantly, though, bards tell stories. Bards tell the stories of our adventures, they tell stories about their unending fidelity, and they tell stories about your fighters hygeine that have to be smelled to believe. What do beguilers do? It's right in the name: they lie. Beguilers lie like dogs, and cannot be trusted. They use the fact that Wizards, bereft of any remaining awesome (having spent it ALL on bards), were forced to give beguilers mechanical crutches to get around the fact that they lie and they smell funny. And carry diseases.

    It is well known that bards are all fantastically endowed paragons of their gender, while beguilers are lying, disease-ridden deviates... and not even the fun kind of deviates. The kind of deviates that even make Blackguards go "That dude has something seriously wrong with him." And I'm not talking pansy blackguards. I'm talking the kind of blackguards who were paladins until they tasted their first baby and said "Yum. I think I'll eat more of these."

    So play a bard. Because bards are awesome. And beguilers cheat at cards. ALL THE TIME.



    1Golden fiddle not included. Offer void in certain Crystal Spheres. Consult your local overdeity for details.
    Mr. Hall, you win this thread. This alone has inspired me to play the Bard. Sub-optimal? Perhaps. Awesome? You bet your last electrum piece!
    Thanks The Neoclassic for my avatar!

    Stark Raving Dad - a blog about life.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by theos911 View Post
    Fighter: I can kill a guy in one turn.
    Cleric: I can kill a guy in half a turn.
    Wizard: I can kill a guy before my turn!
    Bard: I can get 12 idiots to go kill guys for me
    Quote Originally Posted by grarrrg View Post
    Oh, and Person-Man's real name is a little something called "SKYNET"

  4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground
     
    UserClone's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Connecticut
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bard or Beguiler?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Those who are jealous of a bard's awesome quotient frequently dismiss them as "signing". Bards need not sing.

    Bards can dance... and with Tumble and Improved Unarmed Strike, they are practicing Capoeria.

    Bards can use the drums... and light maces + percussion skill + two-weapon fighting is a nasty-fun combination.

    Bards can orate. Don't believe that's effective? Listen to the St. Crispin's Day speech (especially with a Ghost-sound provided orchestra rising the background) and don't get stirred.

    Bards can do comedy. A bard who tells puns, inspiring his allies to hit people harder.

    Bards can chant, and that's a freaky one. A bunch of dwarves, lead by their bard, each chanting in unison. "I wanna be a dwarven fighter/smashing orcs and other blighters."

    Bards can use stringed instruments. Bards with high enough ranks in Fiddle automatically have a golden fiddle.1

    More importantly, though, bards tell stories. Bards tell the stories of our adventures, they tell stories about their unending fidelity, and they tell stories about your fighters hygeine that have to be smelled to believe. What do beguilers do? It's right in the name: they lie. Beguilers lie like dogs, and cannot be trusted. They use the fact that Wizards, bereft of any remaining awesome (having spent it ALL on bards), were forced to give beguilers mechanical crutches to get around the fact that they lie and they smell funny. And carry diseases.

    It is well known that bards are all fantastically endowed paragons of their gender, while beguilers are lying, disease-ridden deviates... and not even the fun kind of deviates. The kind of deviates that even make Blackguards go "That dude has something seriously wrong with him." And I'm not talking pansy blackguards. I'm talking the kind of blackguards who were paladins until they tasted their first baby and said "Yum. I think I'll eat more of these."

    So play a bard. Because bards are awesome. And beguilers cheat at cards. ALL THE TIME.



    1Golden fiddle not included. Offer void in certain Crystal Spheres. Consult your local overdeity for details.
    Question Mutha'Flippin' Answered. Beguiler, you just got served.

    Beguiler, you just got served.
    ALL hail DirtyTabs, creator of this wonderful UserClone TRONpony!
    *sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC
    Railroading isn't saying "There is a wall there", Railroading is when you say "There is a wall everywhere BUT there"


  5. - Top - End - #35
    Superhero in the Playground Moderator
     
    Mark Hall's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bard or Beguiler?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
    Mr. Hall, you win this thread. This alone has inspired me to play the Bard. Sub-optimal? Perhaps. Awesome? You bet your last electrum piece!
    Welcome to the Awesome Club. See Fax Celestis for your card, and your tattoo.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Savage Scrolls: A Savage Worlds/Elder Scrolls Conversion
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Avatar is from local user Mehangel
    API Anthology 1 from Drivethru RPG.
    If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Gnorman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Cascadia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bard or Beguiler?

    I summarily withdraw my objections in the face of your argument. Good show.

  7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Imp

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Manchester NH
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bard or Beguiler?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Welcome to the Awesome Club. See Fax Celestis for your card, and your tattoo.
    They have tattoo's? Damn beguilers acting like the bard club...
    When the end comes i shall remember you.

    I sorry i fail Englimish...(appologise for Spelling/Grammer Errors) Please don't correct my spelling or grammer eaither.

  8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    NinjaGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2007

    Default Re: Bard or Beguiler?

    Always popular, the Beguiler 19/Mindbender 1. You get Advanced learning 1 level later, allowing you to get higher level spells. You do lose out on auto-bypassing SR though, which is a bummer.

    Beguiler 20 works well too. Very simple and effective.

    If you don't mind CL loss, I have an idea in mind at the moment. I'm crafting a Beguiler seductress, aspiring to be Beguiller 15/Nightmare Spinner 5. The CL loss hurts, since you're now 2 whole levels behind a wizard in terms of higher level spells, but your opponents get a -2 to their saves while scared, which is very useful. Basically, you have the ability to cause 9 + 2*CHA mod fear effects per day with essentially no save. Your ability to weave fear effects into your figments/glamers will also trigger multiple times too. After which, they take -2 to their saves for at least one turn, allowing you follow up with an enchantment spell.

    Rogue/Beguiler/Unseen Seer also gives you some sneak attack and -1 spellcasting progression and -4 CL (before remedied by practiced spellcaster). You also get to add some nice divination spells to your spell list.

  9. - Top - End - #39
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Reptilius's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    In America!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bard or Beguiler?

    Isn't there a bard build that gives everyone like +10d6 sonic to their attacks?
    Goblin Shaman by Simius

    Creations:
    The Battle Psychic Martial Adept

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •