New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Suggest Epic Feats

And a feat inspired by the upcoming Glories of the Most High:

Iron Talon
    Once you lay hands upon your enemy, your wrath becomes inescapable.
    Prerequisites: Improved Grapple, Legendary Wrestler
    Benefit: You automatically succeed on all grapple checks. If another character has an ability that allows them to automatically succeed on effects that oppose this one, then the character with the higher combined Strength and size modifiers prevails. If their is a tie, flip a coin to determine who takes precedence.

By the way, anyone who likes the feats should most definitely check out the game Exalted.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, I've given prereqs for all of these and fixed a few things (Diamond Mind and Iron Heart ones are a little better). Also added Epic Martial Study.

Epic Maneuver Recovery [Epic]
    Prerequisites: Martial Lore 24 ranks, one 9th level maneuver.
    Benefit: At the start of your turn once per round, choose an expended maneuver and it's automatically recovered.
    Special: You may take this feat multiple times. Each additional time you take it allows you to automatically recover another maneuver at the beginning of each turn.

Epic Boost [Epic]
    Benefit: You may use two boosts in one swift action three times per day.
    Special: You may take this feat multiple times. Each additional time you take it adds three more uses per day. The Dual Boost swordsage class feature adds an additional three uses per day if you have it.

Epic Stance [Epic]
    Prerequisites: Martial Lore 27 ranks, one 9th level maneuver.
    Benefit: You may gain the benefits of two stances at one time.
    Special: You may take this feat multiple times. Each additional time you take it, you are able to gain the benefits of another stance at one time. The warblade's Stance Mastery ability stacks with this feat.

Intensify Maneuvers 1-5 [Epic]
    Benefit: Double all beneficial numerical effects of maneuvers and stances of first, second, third, fourth, and fifth levels. If it deals damage, double the damage dealt. If it grants resistance, adds speed, heals HP, grants a penalty, or provides a bonus, double the effect. Only numbers beneficial to you are doubled; those that penalizes you are left as they are.
    Special: You may take this multiple times; each time adds 100% of the original value to the numerical bonuses.

Intensify Maneuvers 6-9 [Epic]
    Prerequisites: Martial Lore 27 ranks, Intensify Maneuvers 1-5, one 9th level maneuver.
    Benefit: As Intensify Maneuvers 1-5, but applicable to all maneuvers of sixth, seventh, eighth, and ninth levels.
    Special: You may not take this feat more times than you've taken Intensify Maneuvers 1-5.

Searing Sands [Epic]
    Prerequisites: Tumble 24 ranks, one 9th level Desert Wind maneuver.
    Benefit: While in a Desert Wind stance, you may ignore the fire resistance and fire immunity of enemies.

Guardian of Steel [Epic]
    Prerequisites: Intimidate 24 ranks, one 9th level Devoted Spirit maneuver, Steely Resolve class feature.
    Benefit: While in a Devoted Spirit stance, you may double the size of your Steely Resolve delayed damage pool. In addition, whenever an ally within 30 ft of you take damage, you make take the damage instead into your delayed damage pool as long as you have room (or take as much damage as you have room for). Any negative effects of the attack besides damage still apply to the ally struck.

Impassive Mind [Epic]
    Prerequisite: Concentration 24 ranks, one 9th level Diamond Mind maneuver.
    Benefit: While in a Diamond Mind stance, you gain a +10 bonus to Concentration checks and you can always choose to take 20 on these checks.

Iron Guard [Epic]
    Prerequisites: Balance 24 ranks, one 9th level Iron Heart maneuver.
    Benefit: While in an Iron Heart stance, you are never considered flat-footed and may use immediate actions even before your first turn. In addition, you can never be flanked.

Counter Strike [Epic]
    Prerequisites: Sense Motive 24 ranks, one 9th level Setting Sun maneuver.
    Benefit: While in a Setting Sun stance, whenever you successfully use a Setting Sun counter against an enemy, you may immediately initiate a standard action Setting Sun strike against that enemy if they are within range of the strike.

Ephemeral Body [Epic]
    Prerequisites: Hide 24 ranks, one 9th level Shadow Hand maneuver.
    Benefit: While in a Shadow Hand stance, you may become incorporeal or not as a free action.

Mountain Heights [Epic]
    Prerequisites: Balance 24 ranks, one 9th level Stone Dragon maneuver.
    Benefit: While in a Stone Dragon stance, you no longer need to touch the earth to use Stone Dragon maneuvers.

Leaping Tiger [Epic]
    Prerequisites: Jump 24 ranks, one 9th level Tiger Claw maneuver.
    Benefit: While in a Tiger Strike stance, on any turn in which you make a successful Jump check, all your attacks that turn automatically threaten critical hits.

Raven's Flight [Epic]
    Prerequisites: Diplomacy 24 ranks, one 9th level White Raven maneuver.
    Benefit: While in a White Raven stance, every ally with a lower initiative count than you automatically have their initiative set to 1 below your own.

Epic Martial Study [Epic] [Fighter]
    Prerequisites: Martial Study.
    Benefit: Choose any discipline in which you already have a maneuver. You gain three maneuvers and one stance of your choice from that discipline, as long as you have the prerequisites for them.
    Last edited by PId6; 2009-08-27 at 03:21 PM.
    Rogue Handbook | Warmage Rebuild | Diablo's Assassin | Revised Classes
    Potpourri Creation Contest II Winner: Desert Martial Adept Substitution Levels
    Potpourri Creation Contest III Best Characterization: Edward the Sly's Lucky Spells
    Prestige Class Contest XXI Submission: Child of the Seelie Court

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, I've finally finished compiling a list of feats so far.

I'm very sorry to all of you for each feat I didn't include, the ones I've missed out are ones that I either couldn't figure out a way to make, or felt were too good.

Many, many thanks to you all, and please keep making suggestions!

Here at last are all of the feats I have so far!

Word .doc: http://www.sendspace.com/file/t2ckoq

.txt document for anyone without Word: http://www.sendspace.com/file/7bixxa

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    Something like that, yeah. Wizards get an equivalent to extra swift actions in Multispell, but that limits you to only Quickened spells. A feat adding extra swift actions would be helpful to everyone else, if not nearly as much.
    Also, adding extra Standard actions as well, but that's something that would need an absurdly high prereq in Dex, level, or both.

On an unrelated note, changes to Deflect Arrows so that a character with Infinite Deflection and Exceptional Deflection so that a character with those feats isn't absolutely immune to ranged attacks would not be amiss, but that's really outside the scope of this thread.
    Hmm, I like the idea, although I made my version of Multispell cost a lot (+8 slot level for one extra spell).

Using stats as a limit isn't such a good idea though, because at epic levels you ca take templates and wird races to get huge bonuses to a stat, and pile on enhancements and the like, so anyone aiming for a feat with a high stat requirement can get there really early.

I think perhaps that it may be wise not to allow extra actions on the scale of bonus swift actions or standard actions - it's so easily abused.

And yes, my version allows only one deflection per source, otherwise archery would be completely nullified by that one feat. xD

Quote Originally Posted by The Tygre View Post
    You make those. You f#cking make those right now. I can't live my life unless you make these.
    Well I made a few, but some don't mesh so well with the D&D system.

PId6, thanks for excellent ideas, I love them! ^_^
    Impassive Mind is meant to let you take 20, not 30, right?

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Myou View Post
    PId6, thanks for excellent ideas, I love them! ^_^
    Impassive Mind is meant to let you take 20, not 30, right?
    I meant take 30, since take 20 seems a bit weak for epic. IIRC there's a non-epic feat that lets you take 10 on Concentration checks, so this gives you a conditional +10 boost to a skill if it only lets you take 20. It can be better worded as take 20 and gain a +10 bonus so I'll do that. It's still a little weak for epic, but since it's untyped, it can be useful if you're stacking for Greater Insightful Strike or something.
    Last edited by PId6; 2009-08-27 at 03:22 PM.
    Potpourri Creation Contest III Best Characterization: Edward the Sly's Lucky Spells

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PId6 View Post
    I meant take 30, since take 20 seems a bit weak for epic. IIRC there's a non-epic feat that lets you take 10 on Concentration checks, so this gives you a conditional +10 boost to a skill if it only lets you take 20. It can be better worded as take 20 and gain a +10 bonus so I'll do that. It's still a little weak for epic, but since it's untyped, it can be useful if you're stacking for Greater Insightful Strike or something.
    Are you sure? That seems very powerful to me, since there are those manouvres that let you use Concentration instead of a save. o.o

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Epic Feats [P.E.A.C.H and suggest more!]

A +10 to any skill can be gotten as an item for 10,000 gp, which is pocket change for any epic character. A +20 item would only be 40,000 gp, which is still pretty cheap. Granted, these are typed bonuses, but epic feats should give generally you something you can't achieve using items, like Epic Boost, Epic Stance, and all the rest, or do it better than items. With the saving throw maneuvers, you'll have at least +24 Concentration anyway, so those don't really need much boosting. It's only with very specific builds relying upon Greater Insightful Strike that actually needs every bonus it can get.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

A +10 to any skill can be gotten as an item for 10,000 gp, which is pocket change for any epic character. A +20 item would only be 40,000 gp, which is still pretty cheap. Granted, these are typed bonuses, but epic feats should give generally you something you can't achieve using items, like Epic Boost, Epic Stance, and all the rest, or do it better than items. With the saving throw maneuvers, you'll have at least +24 Concentration anyway, so those don't really need much boosting. It's only with very specific builds relying upon Greater Insightful Strike that actually needs every bonus it can get.
    Hmm, well I ban such items myself, so I didn't know that.

So, a +10 bonus, and the ability to take 20? :3

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Like I said, I prefer epic feats to do something special. A lot of the new ones I like, but some of them are still a bit useless. Whether it adds +1, +2, or +3, I'd still rather be dead than caught taking Armor Skin. That's just me though, *shrug*, change it if you prefer.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Like I said, I prefer epic feats to do something special. A lot of the new ones I like, but some of them are still a bit useless. Whether it adds +1, +2, or +3, I'd still rather be dead than caught taking Armor Skin. That's just me though, *shrug*, change it if you prefer.
    Yeah, I agree that they should be good, and thanks. ^^

How would you suggest making Armour Skin better? Maybe have it give partial fortification as well?

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Partial fortification is good. Maybe +25% every time you take it, stacks with the armor special ability. Gives a reason to take it, at any rate.

I'll make a list of a few other ones that could use some adjustments. One moment.
    Last edited by PId6; 2009-08-27 at 04:09 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Partial fortification is good. Maybe +25% every time you take it, stacks with the armor special ability. Gives a reason to take it, at any rate.

I'll make a list of a few other ones that could use some adjustments. One moment.
    That sounds good, yeah. ^^

And thank you, I really appreciate your help!

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry this is taking a while; it's long.

Aerial Ace: You should allow those with good maneuverability to take it, since there's not much difference between good and perfect here and good is more realistic for actual flight maneuvering. I feel like this should do something other than just +speed, but not sure what. Possibly raise maneuverability one step as well, but then you'd have to remove the maneuverability requirement entirely to make it useful.

Augmented Alchemy: I love the idea of this feat, but its effects are completely useless. Allowing you to make Alchemist's Fire for 2d6 damage instead of 1d6 isn't worth an epic slot. How about instead lowering the DC to +5 or +10, then letting you raise the DC as many times as you like, adding +100% to the effect each time you add +5 or +10? I'll let you work on the wording.

Automatic Still/Silent Spell: These are just way too feat intensive to take, not when a normal Still/Silent is only +1 level adjustment and you can get metamagic rods of it. Either combine Still and Silent together or raise it to 1-5 and 6-9.

Bane of Enemies: It's alright, but doesn't seem worth it. Combining it with Death of Enemies shouldn't be too bad.

Chaotic Rage: As above. Maybe raise it to 4d6 instead or something, but it still isn't worth it.

Combat Archery: Because archers want some nice things. Maybe also let you threaten squares with your bow, up to a distance equal to range increment / 5. So a longbow lets you threaten squares up to 20 ft away.

Deafening Song: Deafen isn't normally much of a handicap at all, unless you're fighting enemy bards or something, in which case you'll want to do it to yourself. I do not see the point of this feat.

Dexterous Fortitude and family: Since it's already requiring a nearly useless epic feat, I'd get rid of the per day limit.

Energy Resistance: All of the epic feats that grant slightly higher statistics are extremely bad. At least make this Energy Immunity, with possibly a weaker bonus for sonic. I still wouldn't take it, but at least it's potentially useful.

Epic Dodge: Avoiding one attack from one opponent per round? Say hello to full attack! I guess it's potentially useful though, so maybe just add a side effect. Like make normal Dodge's bonus +4 rather than +1 or something as well at least.

Epic Endurance: I'm not exactly sure what this does. And I'm not sure if this is completely supplemented by Endure Elements.

Epic Fortitude/Reflexes/Will: Totally not worth it. Make these let you not fail on a natural 1 at least.

Epic Inspiration: The bonus to everything except Inspire Greatness is way too low, much like other class feature boosters like Epic Eldritch Blast and Epic Sneak Attack. I would make Inspire Greatness give +1 while other bardic music abilities give +2, and limit how often you can stack these.

Epic Prowess: Make it base attack bonus at least, so it can be used for more iteratives by rogues and swordsages. Also, maybe if you take it three times, you no longer fail attack rolls on natural 1s.

Epic Reputation: This should at least give a Leadership bonus, and even then, it's still worthless. With an idea like reputation, this needs some kind of less tangible benefit than direct stat boosts, but I'm not sure what.

Epic Skill Focus: Let you take 10 with the skill.

Epic Speed: With that proviso, this feat is worthless for anyone but monks. A Haste effect grants the exact same bonus, and more, for a much lower price. Getting rid of the weird stacking rule would be a start, and it might even need more. Maybe just merge this with the Haste one, so that taking that feat multiple times adds an additional +30 to speed, +1 to attack, AC, and Reflex each time you take it.

Epic Spell Focus: No use whatsoever. At least make it rise with character level, and maybe grant some other kind of bonus, like a CL boost for spells of that school.

Epic Spell Penetration: If this granted +10 to SR checks, I still wouldn't take it. Maybe in a core only game, but when you have things like True Casting and Assay Spell Resistance, this is not so great. And even if you don't, a caster is perfectly viable using just SR: No spells in such situations. Maybe make it +4 instead, and grant that bonus to CL checks to dispel.

Epic Toughness: If you're in a level 21-29 game, Improved Toughness grants nearly as much as this. If you're in a level 30+ game, Improved Toughness grants as much or more. Maybe combine this with DR, or make it so that you can no longer die from massive damage. Otherwise this is pretty pointless.

Epic Weapon Focus/Weapon Specialization: If you're a level 21+ fighter, you may as well take these I guess. Still bad, but oh well, you're a fighter, you're used to it.

Oh wow, I'm not even halfway through yet. Give me some time with this and I'll do some more later.
    Last edited by PId6; 2009-08-27 at 05:08 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

W-wow. You actually made them. And they're -awesome-.

Umm...

Can I take the rope off from my neck now?
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters
    According to this test, I am a LN Half-Orc Cleric, Lvl.2.
    "And in the layer of the Deep Ones, we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Tygre View Post
    W-wow. You actually made them. And they're -awesome-.

Umm...

Can I take the rope off from my neck now?
    What immortal hand or eye dare frame thy fearful symmetry? MINE!
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Shattering Strike - There's no need to make this incur attacks of opportunity. Monks need something going for them.

Great Smite - How about letting you expend a single smite attempt as a free action to smite on every attack you make this round? Throw the paladin a bone at least.

Aligned Strike - Same with Chaotic Rage. The bonus is mediocre at best, though the coverage is a bit nicer.

Improved Aura of Courage - Seriously, just make it immunity to fear.

Improved Favored Enemy - Make it +4.

Improved Ki Strike - Just make it ignore all DR. It's the monk, for crying out loud.

Improved Dark/Low-Light Vision - Wouldn't hurt to merge these. Improved Low-Light Vision is almost completely useless on its own.

Improved Manyshot - Characters normally don't get Bab above 20th level, so this only benefits monsters with RHD. Not sure if this was what you intended.

Improved Precision - Raise this to 3d6. Seriously, it's way too weak.

Improved Spell Resistance - Add +5 or even +10.

Improved Ability - Even Ability Focus gives +2. Make this require Ability Focus and add +4 each time you take it, with a limit on how often you can take it.

Improved Whirlwind Attack - Add another feat that lets you take a full-round action to Whirlwind with full-attacks against all enemies within reach. That might actually make Whirlwind Attack worth taking.

Incite Rage - It's workable, but this should offer something more than the spell. How about just giving all of your benefits of raging to your allies, and have them keep raging as long as you rage, rather than give a set bonus?

Unlimited Deflection - Pretty useless now with the nerf. May as well merge this with Exceptional Deflection or something.

Intuitive Trapfinding - Wait, why do you have this and Trap Sense?

Keen Strike - Eh, it's monk. And the requirements are pretty hefty. May as well have 15-20.

Legendary Climber - Spider Climb really makes this obsolete, not to mention Fly. How about at least giving you a climb speed, and maybe some benefits to other things while climbing?

Legendary Leaper - You can get Leaping Dragon Stance at 5th level, which totally outshines this feat. Make it so that you're always considered running for jumps, and maybe even let you Jump freely as a swift action.

Legendary Rider - This seriously need some other benefits. Perhaps add your ranks in Ride to your mount's AC and saves, to make it harder to kill. Then all you have to do is avoid getting killed yourself.

Legendary Tracker - Negated by a 1st level spell, Pass Without Trace. How about letting you track those that don't leave tracks at a +10 DC penalty, like those with Trackless Step or Pass Without Trace?

Legendary Wrestler - Also allow you to grapple enemies that normally automatically succeed on grapple checks (Freedom of Movement) at a -10 penalty.

Master of Devices - Let you substitute your own stats to calculate CL and saves as well, or else most charged items are useless.

Multiweapon Rend - Why is this epic? Two-Weapon Rend isn't epic (and is pretty bad).

Overwhelming Critical - How about just raising the critical multiplier by 2? The extra damage is fairly negligible at epic levels.

Penetrate Damage Reduction - Toss archers and monks a bone and make it apply to everything, not just melee weapons.

Perfect Health - Eh, just make it apply to all poisons and diseases. That's hardly overpowered, especially when you have to spend on a bad prereq for it.

Polymath - Also treat yourself as having ranks in all untrained skills equal to half character level.

Energy Aura - Typo with ore. Also, turning/rebuking isn't that useful anyway (actual turning/rebuking; not just spending turn attempts on DMM), no need to nerf it that much with -10 effective level.

And, still not done.
    Last edited by PId6; 2009-08-27 at 07:02 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by The Demented One View Post
    What immortal hand or eye dare frame thy fearful symmetry? MINE!
    Yes, Dark Master...

I'm not being your Lunar, though. I'm just saying that right now. Gettin' out there on the board, man.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters
    According to this test, I am a LN Half-Orc Cleric, Lvl.2.
    "And in the layer of the Deep Ones, we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Ranged Inspiration - I can see this as a regular feat, but this is epic. I mean, it's a widen ability, if that's going to be epic, you may as well have it grant x10 the normal size.

Rapid Inspiration - Wait, I thought most bardic music were already standard action? And Song of the White Raven already makes bardic music a swift action, this may as well make it a free action.

Self Concealment - There's a lot of other ways to get easy concealment, like Child of Shadow stance, Cloak of Displacement, or just casting Blur or Displacement, so 10% is a bit underwhelming. I would make this 25% miss chance per time you take it instead.

Spectral Strike - Um, Ghost Touch is a +1 enhancement, and there's a cheap magic item in the MIC that also grants this, and completely removes the miss chance entirely. Just removing the miss chance entirely is worth the price of a normal feat; this is not suitable for epic. This needs to just grant Ghost Touch, and also add some other ghostbusting effects to be worth it.

Spellcasting Harrier - This does pretty much the exact same thing as Mage Slayer but costs a whole lot more. This needs to do something that actually lets you harry spellcasters.

Spontaneous Domain Access - Domain Spontaneity does the exact same thing, isn't epic, and only requires you to spend a single Turn Undead attempt to use it. If this is going to be used at all, just make it apply to every domain you have. It's still pretty weak but it does something at least.

Spontaneous Spell - Making it apply to a single spell makes it pretty much useless. If you think that spell would be useful, you'd probably have prepared it by now. I could see this as useful non-epic, but epic-wise? Not at all. Maybe have it apply to all spells of certain spell levels instead, like 1-3, 4-6, 7-9. Having to spend three epic feats to turn yourself into a sorcerer isn't that broken.

Superior Initiative - Also let you take 10 on initiative checks.

Two Weapon Rend - This is not an epic feat. I fail to see the difference between this feat and the one in PHB2, besides the fact that the PHB2 one uses 1d6 while this uses the damage of the smaller weapon, which is likely worse. In fact, Two-Weapon Rend is fairly weak even for a regular feat.

Widen Aura - Again, widen abilities have no real use beyond a few specific situations, so if this is going to be an epic feat, you may as well make it x10.

Energy Strike - This is fairly useless. By your level, it's very very easy to get immunity to every element, and 2d6 damage isn't very impressive at all. Maybe have this grant some kind of side effect based on the element chosen.

Epic Blind-Fight - Grant Blindsight 30 ft to make this more worth it.

Epic Cleave - Don't make the player guess which one he'll kill. Just make him decide whether to use an Epic Cleave whenever he drops an enemy, and limit it to 1/round.

Epic Weapon Finesse - This totally should have been in Weapon Finesse itself. And Shadow Blade does the same thing. This has wider application, but still, it's really weak.

Flexible - 1/day 10 round swap two ability scores? I'm not sure how this is actually useful.

Near Miss - This is the equivalent of a conditional +2 to AC, but worse.

Perception - It's pretty bad. Just make it you cannot be flanked.

Zero-Range - Power Critical gives you an unconditional +4 to critical confirmations. This gives you a very very conditional +5 as an epic feat. Every attack made against adjacent enemies become critical hits would be better.

Man, I'm still not done. More tomorrow.
    Last edited by PId6; 2009-08-28 at 01:32 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow, you've been busy!

Thank you! Now to see what you actually had to say....

Replies bolded save endless quoting.

Sorry this is taking a while; it's long. Hey, no need to say sorry, you're doing me a big favour!

Aerial Ace: You should allow those with good maneuverability to take it, since there's not much difference between good and perfect here and good is more realistic for actual flight maneuvering. I feel like this should do something other than just +speed, but not sure what. Possibly raise maneuverability one step as well, but then you'd have to remove the maneuverability requirement entirely to make it useful.

I think you're right, maybe the extra speed and the ability to move without incurring any AoOs while airbourne? There's already a feat to improve manouvreability though, so I think we should avoid making that redundant.

Augmented Alchemy: I love the idea of this feat, but its effects are completely useless. Allowing you to make Alchemist's Fire for 2d6 damage instead of 1d6 isn't worth an epic slot. How about instead lowering the DC to +5 or +10, then letting you raise the DC as many times as you like, adding +100% to the effect each time you add +5 or +10? I'll let you work on the wording.

Hmmm, that sounds good! Done.

Automatic Still/Silent Spell: These are just way too feat intensive to take, not when a normal Still/Silent is only +1 level adjustment and you can get metamagic rods of it. Either combine Still and Silent together or raise it to 1-5 and 6-9.

Bane of Enemies: It's alright, but doesn't seem worth it. Combining it with Death of Enemies shouldn't be too bad.

Good idea! Done.

Chaotic Rage: As above. Maybe raise it to 4d6 instead or something, but it still isn't worth it.

What if I give it the Death of Enemies effect too?

Combat Archery: Because archers want some nice things. Maybe also let you threaten squares with your bow, up to a distance equal to range increment / 5. So a longbow lets you threaten squares up to 20 ft away.

Hmmm, well... archery is underpowered.... Are you sure that wouldn't be too powerful though?

Deafening Song: Deafen isn't normally much of a handicap at all, unless you're fighting enemy bards or something, in which case you'll want to do it to yourself. I do not see the point of this feat.

Nor do I, but hey, WotC thought it was worthwhile. But then that may not be a great endorsement....
    Ok, it's gone.

Dexterous Fortitude and family: Since it's already requiring a nearly useless epic feat, I'd get rid of the per day limit.

But that would let characters pump up only one save and use that for everything.
    Maybe just drop the requirement?

Energy Resistance: All of the epic feats that grant slightly higher statistics are extremely bad. At least make this Energy Immunity, with possibly a weaker bonus for sonic. I still wouldn't take it, but at least it's potentially useful.

Ok! I thought immunity would be a bit much, but you're right - there's a spell to give it anyway. Done.

Epic Dodge: Avoiding one attack from one opponent per round? Say hello to full attack! I guess it's potentially useful though, so maybe just add a side effect. Like make normal Dodge's bonus +4 rather than +1 or something as well at least.

Ahhh, I like it! Done!

Epic Endurance: I'm not exactly sure what this does. And I'm not sure if this is completely supplemented by Endure Elements.

Well, this is another WotC effort, as I understand it, it gives +20 to checks to do things like run all day, stuff like that. I don't think it has any overlap with Endure Elements, unless I missed something.

Epic Fortitude/Reflexes/Will: Totally not worth it. Make these let you not fail on a natural 1 at least.

Ohhh, great idea! Done.

Epic Inspiration: The bonus to everything except Inspire Greatness is way too low, much like other class feature boosters like Epic Eldritch Blast and Epic Sneak Attack. I would make Inspire Greatness give +1 while other bardic music abilities give +2, and limit how often you can stack these.

Limit perhaps to one taking of the feat per ten levels? Or limit another way?

Epic Prowess: Make it base attack bonus at least, so it can be used for more iteratives by rogues and swordsages. Also, maybe if you take it three times, you no longer fail attack rolls on natural 1s.

Actually, I'm not advancing iteratives beyond four attacks, and under the epic rules I'm making BAB keeps increasing naurally at +1/2 per level, so rougues still get to a full BAB eventually. But perhaps this should let you get there faster? What do you think?

Epic Reputation: This should at least give a Leadership bonus, and even then, it's still worthless. With an idea like reputation, this needs some kind of less tangible benefit than direct stat boosts, but I'm not sure what.

What if it lets you get 10% off all purchases if you make a cha check, or somethingl like that?

Epic Skill Focus: Let you take 10 with the skill.

Ahh, of course! Done. Also, it now lets you take 20 when you would otherwise be allowed to take 10.

Epic Speed: With that proviso, this feat is worthless for anyone but monks. A Haste effect grants the exact same bonus, and more, for a much lower price. Getting rid of the weird stacking rule would be a start, and it might even need more. Maybe just merge this with the Haste one, so that taking that feat multiple times adds an additional +30 to speed, +1 to attack, AC, and Reflex each time you take it.

What if I just dropped the proviso?

Epic Spell Focus: No use whatsoever. At least make it rise with character level, and maybe grant some other kind of bonus, like a CL boost for spells of that school.

I'm worried about making it rise with level though, that would be a pretty high bonus at really high levels.
    What if I just let them take the feat multiple times, and it gave +1 caster level too?

Epic Spell Penetration: If this granted +10 to SR checks, I still wouldn't take it. Maybe in a core only game, but when you have things like True Casting and Assay Spell Resistance, this is not so great. And even if you don't, a caster is perfectly viable using just SR: No spells in such situations. Maybe make it +4 instead, and grant that bonus to CL checks to dispel.

How about +6? To make it a total of +10 with the other feats?

Epic Toughness: If you're in a level 21-29 game, Improved Toughness grants nearly as much as this. If you're in a level 30+ game, Improved Toughness grants as much or more. Maybe combine this with DR, or make it so that you can no longer die from massive damage. Otherwise this is pretty pointless.

Hmm, good idea, no massive damage, done!

Epic Weapon Focus/Weapon Specialization: If you're a level 21+ fighter, you may as well take these I guess. Still bad, but oh well, you're a fighter, you're used to it.

Well, I thought they were decent. ^^;

Oh wow, I'm not even halfway through yet. Give me some time with this and I'll do some more later.

Thank you!
    Shattering Strike - There's no need to make this incur attacks of opportunity. Monks need something going for them.

Ok! Done. ^^

Great Smite - How about letting you expend a single smite attempt as a free action to smite on every attack you make this round? Throw the paladin a bone at least.

That sounds good, but are you sure that's not too powerful? I just want to be sure.

Aligned Strike - Same with Chaotic Rage. The bonus is mediocre at best, though the coverage is a bit nicer.

Same fix as I sugested for chaotic rage perhaps?

Improved Aura of Courage - Seriously, just make it immunity to fear.

Done! Why didn't I think of that?

Improved Favored Enemy - Make it +4.

Done! But should I now limit it to once every ten levels to stop too much stacking?

Improved Ki Strike - Just make it ignore all DR. It's the monk, for crying out loud.

Good idea! Done!

Improved Dark/Low-Light Vision - Wouldn't hurt to merge these. Improved Low-Light Vision is almost completely useless on its own.

Done.

Improved Manyshot - Characters normally don't get Bab above 20th level, so this only benefits monsters with RHD. Not sure if this was what you intended.

Well, I think WotC intended for it to include the epic BAB bonuses, but in my setup those are actual BAB increases, so it should work, right?

Improved Precision - Raise this to 3d6. Seriously, it's way too weak.

Are you sure 2d6 isn't enough? If you're certain then I'll use 3d6. 1d6 really is too low though, you're right.

Improved Spell Resistance - Add +5 or even +10.

Ok, I added +5. I wasn't happy about it at first, but you are right, and it's not like it grants spell immunity. ^^

Improved Ability - Even Ability Focus gives +2. Make this require Ability Focus and add +4 each time you take it, with a limit on how often you can take it.

Done!

Improved Whirlwind Attack - Add another feat that lets you take a full-round action to Whirlwind with full-attacks against all enemies within reach. That might actually make Whirlwind Attack worth taking.

Done. Reaping Whirlwind. How is it?

Incite Rage - It's workable, but this should offer something more than the spell. How about just giving all of your benefits of raging to your allies, and have them keep raging as long as you rage, rather than give a set bonus?

Good idea! Done!

Unlimited Deflection - Pretty useless now with the nerf. May as well merge this with Exceptional Deflection or something.

Done! That was a great idea - I didn't like how weak it was, but it was broken as WotC wrote it.

Intuitive Trapfinding - Wait, why do you have this and Trap Sense?

Oops! Removed Trap Sense and made Intuitive Trapfinding 10ft.

Keen Strike - Eh, it's monk. And the requirements are pretty hefty. May as well have 15-20.

Heh, I gave it that, the chickened out. Ok, 15-20 it is. Done.

Legendary Climber - Spider Climb really makes this obsolete, not to mention Fly. How about at least giving you a climb speed, and maybe some benefits to other things while climbing?

Good idea! How about it gives you Spider Climb and a 60ft climb speed? Anything else that ight help? Some sort of CLimb-By Attack?

Legendary Leaper - You can get Leaping Dragon Stance at 5th level, which totally outshines this feat. Make it so that you're always considered running for jumps, and maybe even let you Jump freely as a swift action.

Ok, done.

Legendary Rider - This seriously need some other benefits. Perhaps add your ranks in Ride to your mount's AC and saves, to make it harder to kill. Then all you have to do is avoid getting killed yourself.

Oooh, excellent! But how about half rather than the whole lot? adding 30+ to saves and AC seems a little over the top.

Legendary Tracker - Negated by a 1st level spell, Pass Without Trace. How about letting you track those that don't leave tracks at a +10 DC penalty, like those with Trackless Step or Pass Without Trace?

Perfect! Done. But is +20 rather than +10 ok?

Legendary Wrestler - Also allow you to grapple enemies that normally automatically succeed on grapple checks (Freedom of Movement) at a -10 penalty.

There's already a feat for that, should they be merged?

Master of Devices - Let you substitute your own stats to calculate CL and saves as well, or else most charged items are useless.

Good idea! Done.

Multiweapon Rend - Why is this epic? Two-Weapon Rend isn't epic (and is pretty bad).

Well, it was a WotC one. Maybe make it deal more damage? Two-Weapon Rend is epic according to the SRD though.

Overwhelming Critical - How about just raising the critical multiplier by 2? The extra damage is fairly negligible at epic levels.

Would that stack with the other effects that raise the multiplier?

Penetrate Damage Reduction - Toss archers and monks a bone and make it apply to everything, not just melee weapons.

Ok! Monks were already covered, but you're right about archers. Done.

Perfect Health - Eh, just make it apply to all poisons and diseases. That's hardly overpowered, especially when you have to spend on a bad prereq for it.

I was worried that it might be unfair to anyone who actually uses poison, but you're right, and it is [Epic]. Done

Polymath - Also treat yourself as having ranks in all untrained skills equal to half character level.

Wow, isn't that a bit too good?

Energy Aura - Typo with ore. Also, turning/rebuking isn't that useful anyway (actual turning/rebuking; not just spending turn attempts on DMM), no need to nerf it that much with -10 effective level.

I had to use the search function to actally see the typo, thanks. xD
    So, no -10 effective level? Done.

And, still not done.

Sadly I have to stop here for a few hours, but I'll be back as soon as I can to go through the rest of your comments and then post a revised list. And thank you again!

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Continuation of my replies.

Ranged Inspiration - I can see this as a regular feat, but this is epic. I mean, it's a widen ability, if that's going to be epic, you may as well have it grant x10 the normal size.

Done.

Rapid Inspiration - Wait, I thought most bardic music were already standard action? And Song of the White Raven already makes bardic music a swift action, this may as well make it a free action.

Well, WotC clearly disagreed. xD
    But it doesn't seem overpowered, so I'll do that anyway. Done.

Self Concealment - There's a lot of other ways to get easy concealment, like Child of Shadow stance, Cloak of Displacement, or just casting Blur or Displacement, so 10% is a bit underwhelming. I would make this 25% miss chance per time you take it instead.

Done!

Spectral Strike - Um, Ghost Touch is a +1 enhancement, and there's a cheap magic item in the MIC that also grants this, and completely removes the miss chance entirely. Just removing the miss chance entirely is worth the price of a normal feat; this is not suitable for epic. This needs to just grant Ghost Touch, and also add some other ghostbusting effects to be worth it.

Hmmm, what would you suggest? Some sort of bonus damage against incorporial creatures?

Spellcasting Harrier - This does pretty much the exact same thing as Mage Slayer but costs a whole lot more. This needs to do something that actually lets you harry spellcasters.

Good old WotC, I hould have known not to trust their judgement. I'll just drop this in favour of Mage Slayer.

Spontaneous Domain Access - Domain Spontaneity does the exact same thing, isn't epic, and only requires you to spend a single Turn Undead attempt to use it. If this is going to be used at all, just make it apply to every domain you have. It's still pretty weak but it does something at least.

Done. Thanks again to WotC for their excellent work on their epic rules.

Spontaneous Spell - Making it apply to a single spell makes it pretty much useless. If you think that spell would be useful, you'd probably have prepared it by now. I could see this as useful non-epic, but epic-wise? Not at all. Maybe have it apply to all spells of certain spell levels instead, like 1-3, 4-6, 7-9. Having to spend three epic feats to turn yourself into a sorcerer isn't that broken.

Hmmm, I'm not sure I want to let wizards do that, I think I'll just remove this feat, unless anyone has any other ideas about what to do with it.

Superior Initiative - Also let you take 10 on initiative checks.

Done.

Two Weapon Rend - This is not an epic feat. I fail to see the difference between this feat and the one in PHB2, besides the fact that the PHB2 one uses 1d6 while this uses the damage of the smaller weapon, which is likely worse. In fact, Two-Weapon Rend is fairly weak even for a regular feat.

Again, WotC thought it was epic.
    So, what do you think we should do with it to make it not worthless?

Widen Aura - Again, widen abilities have no real use beyond a few specific situations, so if this is going to be an epic feat, you may as well make it x10.

Done.

Energy Strike - This is fairly useless. By your level, it's very very easy to get immunity to every element, and 2d6 damage isn't very impressive at all. Maybe have this grant some kind of side effect based on the element chosen.

Ok, I'll think about what effects. Any suggestions are more than welcome.

Epic Blind-Fight - Grant Blindsight 30 ft to make this more worth it.

Done.

Epic Cleave - Don't make the player guess which one he'll kill. Just make him decide whether to use an Epic Cleave whenever he drops an enemy, and limit it to 1/round.

Done! Good idea!

Epic Weapon Finesse - This totally should have been in Weapon Finesse itself. And Shadow Blade does the same thing. This has wider application, but still, it's really weak.

Maybe it lets you apply Weapon Finesse to all kinds of weapon too?

Flexible - 1/day 10 round swap two ability scores? I'm not sure how this is actually useful.

Well, the idea is that it lets you become great at somethig for a shot time - you could swap your insane Str for really high Wis to find a hidden foe, or swap your Cha for Str to make your Smite that much more powerful.

Near Miss - This is the equivalent of a conditional +2 to AC, but worse.

You're right, what was I thinking?
    What if I made it force the foe to reroll 20s instead?

Perception - It's pretty bad. Just make it you cannot be flanked.

Done.

Zero-Range - Power Critical gives you an unconditional +4 to critical confirmations. This gives you a very very conditional +5 as an epic feat. Every attack made against adjacent enemies become critical hits would be better.

What about if they automatically threaten, and give +4 to confirm, stacking with Power Critical?

Man, I'm still not done. More tomorrow.

Thanks!

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, revised list so far! http://www.sendspace.com/file/wezpup

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Aerial Ace: I think you're right, maybe the extra speed and the ability to move without incurring any AoOs while airbourne? There's already a feat to improve manouvreability though, so I think we should avoid making that redundant.

Completely ignore AoOs while airborne is a little strong. Maybe just +10 to Tumble checks while flying each time you take it.

I think you missed this one.

Chaotic Rage: What if I give it the Death of Enemies effect too?

That's a good idea.

Combat Archery: Hmmm, well... archery is underpowered.... Are you sure that wouldn't be too powerful though?

It won't be, at least, not really. Individual arrows don't really do all that much damage compared to melee, since you don't get much Str bonus on them. That means you need a lot of hits to do much damage at all. You also can't trip at range so pretty much the only thing you can do with those AoOs is deal weak damage. It makes archers better against casters, but that's hardly a problem.

Dexterous Fortitude and family: But that would let characters pump up only one save and use that for everything.
    Maybe just drop the requirement?

Thing you have to remember is that epic feats are the most precious resources you have. Yes, if you take these, you can ignore every save but one, but if you're spending your epic feats taking these, that's feats you're not spending on better metamagic or better class features and such. So if you do spend three epic feats for all of these, then you deserve to be able to dump every save but one, because you'll be much weaker in every other regard compared to your peers.

Epic Endurance: Well, this is another WotC effort, as I understand it, it gives +20 to checks to do things like run all day, stuff like that. I don't think it has any overlap with Endure Elements, unless I missed something.

How about you cannot be fatigued or exhausted?

Epic Inspiration: Limit perhaps to one taking of the feat per ten levels? Or limit another way?

Yeah, it's probably a good idea to do this with most stackable epic feats, or at least the good ones anyway. Part of the problem with the original system was that you have no real reason not to take the same good feats over and over and just ignore the other ones.

Epic Prowess: Actually, I'm not advancing iteratives beyond four attacks, and under the epic rules I'm making BAB keeps increasing naurally at +1/2 per level, so rougues still get to a full BAB eventually. But perhaps this should let you get there faster? What do you think?

Just make it you get +1 to attack and you no longer fail attack rolls on natural 1s then.

Epic Reputation: What if it lets you get 10% off all purchases if you make a cha check, or somethingl like that?

I guess that could work.

Epic Speed: What if I just dropped the proviso?

Then give some other minor benefit like Aerial Ace. Or make this apply to all speeds. So take Aerial Ace if you want to exclusively help your fly speed (and gain a minor benefit alongside that), or take Epic Speed if you want to raise all of your speeds (and gain no other benefit).

Epic Spell Focus: I'm worried about making it rise with level though, that would be a pretty high bonus at really high levels.
    What if I just let them take the feat multiple times, and it gave +1 caster level too?

I think level 30 or possibly even 40 should be the highest you should care about. Any higher, and the idea of balance becomes so laughable as to have even less meaning than it does at "normal" epic. Spells that allow saving throws are generally fairly useless at epic levels anyway; you're better off just annihilating them with an epic-damage spell or send them a no-save-just-lose, since saves rise a lot faster than spell DCs can. A +2 or +3 to saves for one school isn't that powerful compared to what else casters can do, if you don't allow it to stack. Epic feats are just too valuable a resource to spend over and over on a static-value booster, when you can take things that have long term benefits no matter what level you are (like metamagic).

Epic Spell Penetration: How about +6? To make it a total of +10 with the other feats?

That works. I don't see this being taken much either way, but it'll be an option at least.

Epic Weapon Focus/Weapon Specialization: Well, I thought they were decent. ^^;

It's because they're static abilities, and scaling ones are always better. It's decent though, as static abilities go.

Great Smite - That sounds good, but are you sure that's not too powerful? I just want to be sure.

For a paladin? Nope, not at all. If you're getting only 5 smites a day, they may as well be useful and be used on more than jut one attack.

Aligned Strike - Same fix as I sugested for chaotic rage perhaps?

That works.

Improved Favored Enemy - Done! But should I now limit it to once every ten levels to stop too much stacking?

Yeah, that's a good idea with most of the class feature boosters.

Improved Manyshot - Well, I think WotC intended for it to include the epic BAB bonuses, but in my setup those are actual BAB increases, so it should work, right?

Ah, that should be fine then.

Improved Precision - Are you sure 2d6 isn't enough? If you're certain then I'll use 3d6. 1d6 really is too low though, you're right.

If you're only taking it once per 10 levels, it's not too strong at all. Monster HP scales really fast at epic, and rogues barely do enough damage as is, to say nothing of scout or ninja. It's only too strong if you can keep taking it, but since it's limited per 10 levels, it's fine.

Improved Whirlwind Attack - Done. Reaping Whirlwind. How is it?

There's no need for the movement clause. Normally, you wouldn't be able to move on such a turn anyway since it's a full-round action, and there's no reason to prevent you from doing it if you manage to find some way to move and full-round action.

Legendary Climber - Good idea! How about it gives you Spider Climb and a 60ft climb speed? Anything else that ight help? Some sort of CLimb-By Attack?

That's a good idea. Should work.

Legendary Rider - Oooh, excellent! But how about half rather than the whole lot? adding 30+ to saves and AC seems a little over the top.

Half is fine too. It's not too important though since the point is to make enemies target you instead of your mount. This just makes the mount harder to kill; you've no such protection, however, so they just have to knock you down to finish your mount.

Legendary Tracker - Perfect! Done. But is +20 rather than +10 ok?

That's fine.

Legendary Wrestler - There's already a feat for that, should they be merged?

Just remove this and keep Iron Talon. Then make Epic Grapple raise your effective size category by 2, and allow it to be taken once per 10 levels. That should fulfill any grapple modifier needs. Iron Talon has somewhat confusing wording though.

Overwhelming Critical - Would that stack with the other effects that raise the multiplier?

Yeah, allowing it to stack as high as you want shouldn't be too bad since Improved Critical no longer stacks with Keen. Just make this takeable once per 10 levels and remove Dolorous Stroke.

Perfect Health - I was worried that it might be unfair to anyone who actually uses poison, but you're right, and it is [Epic]. Done

Nobody really bothers with poisons and diseases anyway at this level since it's way too easy to get immunity to them, even without this.

Polymath - Wow, isn't that a bit too good?

Not really. Right now it's just Jack of All Trades mixed with a Tongues spell. This just makes you a slightly better Jack of All Trades. You can do anything competently but nothing well, since this doesn't apply if you put ranks into a skill. Anyone who bothers specializing in the skill will have twice the ranks that you have in it because of this. I don't really see how this can become too powerful. You should make it require Jack of All Trades as a prerequisite though.

Spectral Strike - Hmmm, what would you suggest? Some sort of bonus damage against incorporial creatures?

Make it so that your armor, natural armor, and shield ACs apply to attacks from incorporeal enemies as well. Might need to change the name though.

Spontaneous Spell - Hmmm, I'm not sure I want to let wizards do that, I think I'll just remove this feat, unless anyone has any other ideas about what to do with it.

Make it apply to every spell slot of a level equal to or below half your maximum spell level. So a wizard with 10th level spells can spontaneously cast from 5th level slots. That seems pretty balanced.

Two Weapon Rend - Again, WotC thought it was epic.
    So, what do you think we should do with it to make it not worthless?

Since the ELH is 3.0 material, I think they just realized a lot of those weren't good epic so they made nonepic versions of them. Make it require the PHB2 Two-Weapon Rend, then let you perform a rend each time you hit with one weapon after another, without a 1/round limit.

Energy Strike - Ok, I'll think about what effects. Any suggestions are more than welcome.

The Orb spells have some effects, but save-or-daze might be too strong when you make multiple attacks per round. I'm not sure, actually. I suppose you can just raise them to 5d6.

Epic Weapon Finesse - Maybe it lets you apply Weapon Finesse to all kinds of weapon too?

Hmm, that's a good idea. Allow Weapon Finesse with all one-handed weapons.

Flexible - Well, the idea is that it lets you become great at somethig for a shot time - you could swap your insane Str for really high Wis to find a hidden foe, or swap your Cha for Str to make your Smite that much more powerful.

That seems like it might make a decent regular feat, but isn't really epic material, since it has such limited usage. Maybe just make it capped at rounds/day equal to character level to make it a little more useful.

Near Miss - You're right, what was I thinking?
    What if I made it force the foe to reroll 20s instead?

Oh, good idea. Just make natural 20s not auto-hit for enemies and that should be enough.

Zero-Range - What about if they automatically threaten, and give +4 to confirm, stacking with Power Critical?

That works fine.
    I'm a little stumped for time both today and tomorrow, so I'll get back to this when I can find a little more free time. Sorry about making you wait so much.

A few more things before I'm done for the night:

I'm wondering, since Increased Spell Capacity doesn't seem to exist, how do spellcasters get 10th level and higher spells?

Bonus Domain - A single extra domain is a little weak, since you can PrC dip for more domains and you're not getting all that much for this, compared to other options. Maybe give two domains or give another set of domain slots (but that might be a little strong).

Intensify Maneuvers - I would keep this at 1-5 and 6-9, since it's just too feat intensive to be worth it if you have to take three feats to intensify everything. Just make it so that you can only take each one once per 10 levels to prevent overstacking.
    Last edited by PId6; 2009-08-28 at 11:28 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Aerial Ace: Completely ignore AoOs while airborne is a little strong. Maybe just +10 to Tumble checks while flying each time you take it.

Hmmm, you're right, but isn't it pretty easy to hit the Tumble DC to avoid attacks even without any bonus? What if it gives you a big bonus against being tripped or grappledwhile airbourne instead?

I think you missed this one.

Oops!

I think you're right, but give that it takes an epic feat a well as a non-epic one, I think I'll let them apply to all 0-9th level spells. Done. ^^

Chaotic Rage: That's a good idea.

Great! Done.

Combat Archery: It won't be, at least, not really. Individual arrows don't really do all that much damage compared to melee, since you don't get much Str bonus on them. That means you need a lot of hits to do much damage at all. You also can't trip at range so pretty much the only thing you can do with those AoOs is deal weak damage. It makes archers better against casters, but that's hardly a problem.

Ok then! Done!

Dexterous Fortitude and family: Thing you have to remember is that epic feats are the most precious resources you have. Yes, if you take these, you can ignore every save but one, but if you're spending your epic feats taking these, that's feats you're not spending on better metamagic or better class features and such. So if you do spend three epic feats for all of these, then you deserve to be able to dump every save but one, because you'll be much weaker in every other regard compared to your peers.

Well, you know it's only 2 feats you have to take, right? It really does seem too good to me if you can do it all day, because, well, every fighter will take Fortified Will, stuff like that, so no-one would ever have a bad save.

Epic Endurance: How about you cannot be fatigued or exhausted?

Perfect. Done. ^^

Epic Inspiration: Yeah, it's probably a good idea to do this with most stackable epic feats, or at least the good ones anyway. Part of the problem with the original system was that you have no real reason not to take the same good feats over and over and just ignore the other ones.

Ok, done!

Epic Prowess: Just make it you get +1 to attack and you no longer fail attack rolls on natural 1s then.

Ok! Done.

Epic Reputation: I guess that could work.

Ok, I've done that, but if you have any better ideas let me know, because I'm not really happy with the feat. xD

Epic Speed: Then give some other minor benefit like Aerial Ace. Or make this apply to all speeds. So take Aerial Ace if you want to exclusively help your fly speed (and gain a minor benefit alongside that), or take Epic Speed if you want to raise all of your speeds (and gain no other benefit).

Done.

Epic Spell Focus: I think level 30 or possibly even 40 should be the highest you should care about. Any higher, and the idea of balance becomes so laughable as to have even less meaning than it does at "normal" epic. Spells that allow saving throws are generally fairly useless at epic levels anyway; you're better off just annihilating them with an epic-damage spell or send them a no-save-just-lose, since saves rise a lot faster than spell DCs can. A +2 or +3 to saves for one school isn't that powerful compared to what else casters can do, if you don't allow it to stack. Epic feats are just too valuable a resource to spend over and over on a static-value booster, when you can take things that have long term benefits no matter what level you are (like metamagic).

Hmmmm.... So, add +1 for every twenty levels? Every ten levels?

Epic Spell Penetration: That works. I don't see this being taken much either way, but it'll be an option at least.

Done. Taking it gives you a total of +10 to beat SR and dispel checks.

Epic Weapon Focus/Weapon Specialization: It's because they're static abilities, and scaling ones are always better. It's decent though, as static abilities go.

What if I make the bonuses the same, but per 20 character levels?

Great Smite: For a paladin? Nope, not at all. If you're getting only 5 smites a day, they may as well be useful and be used on more than jut one attack.

Heh, ok then! Done.

Aligned Strike: That works.

Super! Done.

Improved Favored Enemy: Yeah, that's a good idea with most of the class feature boosters.

Done.

Improved Manyshot: Ah, that should be fine then.

Awesome.

Improved Precision: If you're only taking it once per 10 levels, it's not too strong at all. Monster HP scales really fast at epic, and rogues barely do enough damage as is, to say nothing of scout or ninja. It's only too strong if you can keep taking it, but since it's limited per 10 levels, it's fine.

Yeah, you're right, 3d6 it is! Done.

Reaping Whirlwind: There's no need for the movement clause. Normally, you wouldn't be able to move on such a turn anyway since it's a full-round action, and there's no reason to prevent you from doing it if you manage to find some way to move and full-round action.

Ok then. ^^
    I was worried about how it would interact with Mobile Attack, but that specified full attack action, nut just full action, so that should be fine. Done.

Legendary Climber: That's a good idea. Should work.

Climb-By attack too, or just the other stuff, which is done now?

Legendary Rider: Half is fine too. It's not too important though since the point is to make enemies target you instead of your mount. This just makes the mount harder to kill; you've no such protection, however, so they just have to knock you down to finish your mount.

Agreed, and done. :)

Legendary Wrestler: Just remove this and keep Iron Talon. Then make Epic Grapple raise your effective size category by 2, and allow it to be taken once per 10 levels. That should fulfill any grapple modifier needs. Iron Talon has somewhat confusing wording though.

Ok, done. Is once every 20 levels of for Epic Grappler?
    And how is that rewording?

Overwhelming Critical: Yeah, allowing it to stack as high as you want shouldn't be too bad since Improved Critical no longer stacks with Keen. Just make this takeable once per 10 levels and remove Dolorous Stroke.

How about I make that change to Overwhelming Critical, but diallow it's taking multiple times, and then let characters also take Dolorous Stroke, for a bigger multiplier, but again not allow it to be taken multiple times?

Nobody really bothers with poisons and diseases anyway at this level since it's way too easy to get immunity to them, even without this.

Very true. xD

Polymath: Not really. Right now it's just Jack of All Trades mixed with a Tongues spell. This just makes you a slightly better Jack of All Trades. You can do anything competently but nothing well, since this doesn't apply if you put ranks into a skill. Anyone who bothers specializing in the skill will have twice the ranks that you have in it because of this. I don't really see how this can become too powerful. You should make it require Jack of All Trades as a prerequisite though.

Spectral Strike: Make it so that your armor, natural armor, and shield ACs apply to attacks from incorporeal enemies as well. Might need to change the name though.

Done. Spectral Strike is now Ghost Buster.

Spontaneous Spell: Make it apply to every spell slot of a level equal to or below half your maximum spell level. So a wizard with 10th level spells can spontaneously cast from 5th level slots. That seems pretty balanced.

Ok! Great idea! Done. Is the wording ok?

Two Weapon Rend: Since the ELH is 3.0 material, I think they just realized a lot of those weren't good epic so they made nonepic versions of them. Make it require the PHB2 Two-Weapon Rend, then let you perform a rend each time you hit with one weapon after another, without a 1/round limit.

Done. How is that wording?

Energy Strike: The Orb spells have some effects, but save-or-daze might be too strong when you make multiple attacks per round. I'm not sure, actually. I suppose you can just raise them to 5d6.

Hmmm, well unless anyone wants to suggest anything else I'll go ahead and make it 5d6 then. Done :3

Epic Weapon Finesse: Hmm, that's a good idea. Allow Weapon Finesse with all one-handed weapons.

Thanks! I was thinking two-handers too. Which I've done. That ok?

Flexible: That seems like it might make a decent regular feat, but isn't really epic material, since it has such limited usage. Maybe just make it capped at rounds/day equal to character level to make it a little more useful.

Great idea! Thanks!

Near Miss: Oh, good idea. Just make natural 20s not auto-hit for enemies and that should be enough.

Hmm, just not auto-hitting is a little weak though, are you sure it can't force a complete re-roll?

Zero-Range: That works fine.

Great, done!

I'm a little stumped for time both today and tomorrow, so I'll get back to this when I can find a little more free time. Sorry about making you wait so much.

No no, thank you for giving me so much help!

A few more things before I'm done for the night:

I'm wondering, since Increased Spell Capacity doesn't seem to exist, how do spellcasters get 10th level and higher spells?

Spell levels progress at the same rate as before, with full casters getting 10th level slots at level 19, 11th level slors at level 21, and so on. I thought it was monumentally retarded to make anyone have to actually take a feat to allow their class features to progress.

Bonus Domain - A single extra domain is a little weak, since you can PrC dip for more domains and you're not getting all that much for this, compared to other options. Maybe give two domains or give another set of domain slots (but that might be a little strong).

Two domains it is! Done. ^^

Intensify Maneuvers - I would keep this at 1-5 and 6-9, since it's just too feat intensive to be worth it if you have to take three feats to intensify everything. Just make it so that you can only take each one once per 10 levels to prevent overstacking.

Well, my fear is that it's easy to double the power of all your manuvers, but I'll trust your judgement. Done. Is once every 20 ok though? :3
    Thanks once again!
    Last edited by Myou; 2009-08-29 at 05:13 AM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

And here is the further revised list. http://www.sendspace.com/file/apueej

Anyone with thoughts, comments, or ideas for new feats, please post. :3

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

Best. Feats. Evar.
    I wish that you had written the Epic Level Handbook.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Kai View Post
    I wish that you had written the Epic Level Handbook.
    I just wish whoever had done it had actually tried to set a balance, instead of just throwing out numbers. "+1 to Charisma? Epic spells? Same thing."

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

I just wish whoever had done it had actually tried to set a balance, instead of just throwing out numbers. "+1 to Charisma? Epic spells? Same thing."
    Ugh, yeah, it's bizarre. I found the epic rules unusable.

Speaking of +1 to charisma, does everyone agree that +2 to a stat is a good epic feat? Or should it be more than +2?

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

Ugh, yeah, it's bizarre. I found the epic rules unusable.

Speaking of +1 to charisma, does everyone agree that +2 to a stat is a good epic feat? Or should it be more than +2?
    MOAR!!!

No serious, more. A lot more. Compare to eagle's splendor, et al.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

MOAR!!!

No serious, more. A lot more. Compare to eagle's splendor, et al.

Perhaps +6? Is that fair? It seems like a lot, it is after all a base stat increase, not a buff.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

Perhaps +6? Is that fair? It seems like a lot, it is after all a base stat increase, not a buff.
    +6 is probably fine. That's a +3 modifier, which is really nice, but won't break anyone's game. I'd rather take one of Demented's feats, but if I had a feat to spare or felt that the boost would be useful in the immediate future to help my build, then I wouldn't sneeze at +6.

The important thing to remember is that in epic games, the number get pretty crazy, but they're mostly just noise. When there are so many ways to bypass those numbers with crazy abilities, they just don't matter as much.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

+6 is probably fine. That's a +3 modifier, which is really nice, but won't break anyone's game. I'd rather take one of Demented's feats, but if I had a feat to spare or felt that the boost would be useful in the immediate future to help my build, then I wouldn't sneeze at +6.

The important thing to remember is that in epic games, the number get pretty crazy, but they're mostly just noise. When there are so many ways to bypass those numbers with crazy abilities, they just don't matter as much.
    Err, well I don't want to let numbers get too crazy. xD

I'll see what others think of +6 before I put it in the file, but it does sound good to me. I'm just a little concerned it might be too good.