New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Black Jewels Campaign In-Character

Copper and Marth:

Your trip is much the same as that of your comrades in the first group, save one thing: A flash of movement catches your eye near the ominous-feeling manor.

Spot checks, if you please.
    "Religion. It's given people hope in a world torn apart by religion." - Jon Stewart

2. - Top - End - #122
    Orc in the Playground

Copper tries to keep a steady eye.
    Spoiler
    Show

(d20+10)[14]

3. - Top - End - #123
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Marth
    Marth tries to see the flash.
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20)[8]
    Best comment I've heard in a D&D game:

Our bard after succeeding in 2 4e grapple checks to slam a female opponent who kind of looks like Ayn Rand:

"I JUST POWERBOMBED AYN RAND!"

4. - Top - End - #124
    Dwarf in the Playground

Neither of you move quite quickly enough to see whatever it was clearly, but Copper notices that it is small and very, very brightly colored - Probably what drew your eye in the first place.
    "Religion. It's given people hope in a world torn apart by religion." - Jon Stewart

5. - Top - End - #125
    Orc in the Playground

Chimera

Unreal Time: (@Javarel via psychic link)
    Spoiler
    Show
    broken and retrospective:
    I happened... funny how your mother used to always say i was such a blessing. I guess i just turned out to be a curse... first he died, my father, and then... and then my arm, and then... mother... It was my fault you know... my mother's death. I was just 8... i couldn't control my powers, there was lightning, and then darkness... and then she was gone. They said my family was dead, that i was worse than useless, that i was a cripple, a misfit, a nobody. and so my family passed out of existence... I haven't gone by the name Syle since...

My jewel? in truth, it has not just one, but two minds. They are sometimes my only companions. they watch out for me. I think one might be some remnant of my father... this was his jewel before he died... the other? your guess is as good as mine. I don't remember much from the days around my fathers death, when i first bonded to this jewel, just vivid nightmares... well... one nightmare, over and over again.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lady Mythlye and Group: Nothing of particular interest occurs between Cassandra's Altar and Beldon Mor.

OOC: Sorry this took so long, I made the mistake of inventing possible encounters before seeing if they actually happened...

7. - Top - End - #127
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Lady Mythlye

Strolling round the town, Lady Mythlye looks for the second best inn in town. She has hopefully already cast a few minor cantrips and changed her clothes to look something more like a minor noble would wear in this realm.

"Right then boys, I think we need to be stopping for the night, then finding a way into the proper tomorrow, no one can plan on a tired mind and empty stomach."

I'll also open a physic thread to all the others and inform them that we're stopping and if they wish to come to this inn its called ..... if not, they are welcome to find their own lodgings and a place for the night, and we'll meet them in the morning.

Walking through the doors she strides up to the bar and says :

"Greetings good fellow, three of your best meals and lodgings for the night please."

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

Kadyn

Kadyn has their carry-able belongings and he's right behind her when she enters the bar. He leans with one arm against the bar and looks around, taking in who's here, who they are and what their threat might be. He sends out psychic tendrils to see if any of them have a jewel and what color it might be.
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

Quote Originally Posted by Vaynor View Post
    Well you cheat, obviously. You're a druid, you can just cast Control Weather and call it a day.
    Chainmaille, Chainmail or is it Chain Mail?

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Daros

Daros walks into the inn with carrying nothing additional than what's visible on him, pauses for a second and gazes on the patrons. Having the (perhaps too) militaristic and wary mind that he has, he takes a moment to concentrate, assessing the inn completely for any possible threats.

Spoiler
    Show
    Auravision is already active. To add, I'll take a Detect Evil too.

So he's sensing... magic and evil for now.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2009-10-10 at 05:13 AM.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Dwarf in the Playground

The inn is rather typical for its kind - Bland decor, good food, cloaked stranger drinking ale in a corner. Two things draw your attention: Five men wearing the cloaks of the City Watch are playing a drinking game in a corner, and a man wearing a Purple Dusk Jewel who sits at the bar with a bottle of whiskey at his elbow. The bartender seems to be avoiding him, and a human-shaped construct is removing empty glasses from the pile in front of him.

Daros:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The guardsmans' cloaks are radiating minor Abjuration magic, and the man at the bar seems to be oddly fuzzy, as though he were a lantern viewed through a thick blanket. The clockwork creature behind the bar is, of course, riddled with Transmutation signatures, and the bar itself has a minor Conjuration effect of some sort.

One of the guardsman is suffused with Conjuration magic, and the dagger at his side is slightly evil. Several other patrons are carrying magic items of various degrees, but nothing else jumps out at you.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Troll in the Playground

Kadyn

Kadyn will keep a surreptitious eye on the guardsmen and the man with a purple dusk jewel while he quickly eats dinner. He doesn't make any threatening moves, he just makes it clear that if you leave his party alone then he'll leave you alone.
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

Well you cheat, obviously. You're a druid, you can just cast Control Weather and call it a day.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Daros

Raising a curious eyebrow against the guard with the dagger, and seeing Kadyn notice the purple dusk jeweled one too, Daros shrugs contentedly but mentions nothing to the Lady. Things seem to be in order, for now.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2009-10-14 at 01:22 AM.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Orc in the Playground

Chimera

Ark

Ark and Javarel sit quietly as they wait for the others to arrive. The two continue to converse telepathically however.. Although it has been several hours, Ark has yet to touch the proffered glass of ale.

When Lady Mythlye makes contact, Ark replies, I think it would be best if we remained apart for now... When dusk falls, im planning on flying over the river... i'll begin scouting out the other side, and meet you all there when you arrive in the morning.

An hour or so before dusk, Ark telepathically explains his plan to Javarel before dropping money for the ale he didn't drink and leaving, giving his goodbyes verbally to avoid undue suspicion. Walking out into the darkening streets, he hurries over to the nearest bakery, and purchases a roll of bread. He waits till he is out of sight though before he vanishes it into his psychic cupboard.

From there he will go to the pier, find a secluded spot, and then take off invisibly, flying to the other side of the river.

Caution, OOC math...
    Spoiler
    Show
    (normal speed = 40 ft. / 6 sec. = 4.54 mph)
    i will be taking double move actions the entire time (i don't think i get a run equivalent while flying (although if i do thats even more awesome ))
    also, i will be first flying directly upwards for a minute or so (half speed), and then, flying across and downward, which is at double speed.
    so basically i have a short pause while i gain altitude, followed by my traveling at 18.16 mph (1 mile in a little over 3 minutes)

14. - Top - End - #134
    Orc in the Playground

Copper

"I prefer to travel on foot whenever possible. If anyone would like to join me, that will be fine. If not I can do well enough alone."

15. - Top - End - #135
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Unreal time (telepathic):
    Spoiler
    Show
    Javarel mentions all the relevant tidbits of his own past, including how his powers began to manifest coincidentally the same time Ark's did. He explains that he's never mentioned this to anyone before, and follows up with a threat that he will not hesitate to kill Ark if the boy reveals this information to anyone else. I think it's safe to assume they're all caught up by now.

Out loud, Javarel makes small talk with Ark as they wait for the rest of the group to filter into the inn. The friendly banter is just a front, of course, for their telepathic conversation, and allows Javarel to secretly observe the other people in the room. Specifically, he searches for the person who seems to be of the highest status of the lot. He also double checks with his mindsight that there are no minds in the room that are not clearly visible.

When Ark leaves, Javarel rents a room for the night and heads upstairs. In his room he quietly casts a spell to match his attire to that of the most high-ranking authority he observed, and for good measure he also changes his face to some other generic human male. When this is done he contacts Copper with the psychic link:
    "Would you come with me for a stroll around this area? I have a recon mission in mind. I want to find the highest ranking man walking around this place. I wouldn't mind a bodyguard though. I changed my appearance a bit though, so when a strange looking man approaches you and calls you cousin, it's me, just play along."

Spoiler
    Show
    I cast Disguise Self to change my attire and facial appearance.

Javarel then walks out of the inn (hopefully with copper!) and begins scouring the streets for the highest ranking noble he can find, someone he could assume has enough authority to perhaps gain an audience with the local administration. He does this as tactfully as possible, trying his best to hide his true intentions. If Copper is with him, he makes friendly smalltalk with him as this happens.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff check so people don't notice me observing them in the inn and on the streets:
    (1d20+15)[29]

Spot + Search if necessary to single out the highest ranking people.
    Spot: (1d20+15)[22]
    Search: (1d20+19)[33]
    Last edited by Delandel; 2009-10-17 at 07:12 PM.
    Homebrew: Frostfire Mage PrC
    DM'ing:Expedition to Castle Ravenloft
    Anex / Oolar Battle of Black Rock

16. - Top - End - #136
    Orc in the Playground

Copper responds to Javarel, "That sounds good. I'm glad to be of use."

Copper practices his small talk with Javarel, trying to have as normal a conversation as he is able. He also keeps an ear open for any useful information about nearby people of importance.

Spoiler
    Show

Bluff check to appear nonchalant
    (d20+6)[7]
    Listen check
    [/roll]d20+15[/roll]

17. - Top - End - #137
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Oops, messed up listen roll. My bad.
    (d20+15)[29]

18. - Top - End - #138
    Dwarf in the Playground

Copper:
    Spoiler
    Show
    A pair of men dressed too casually for their wary eyes and well-worn sword hilts catch your eye, leaning against a jeweler's across the street. They both look in your general direction, and you just barely hear one saying to the other: "Looks a bit nervous, doesn't he?" You miss the other's response, but it's accompanied by a decisive nod.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Orc in the Playground

Copper says to Javarel via the psycic link, Do you see the two with swords looking our way? By the jeweler's. They're suspicious of me and it might be trouble. How do you feel about turning the tables on them? Maybe we can question them before they can question us."

20. - Top - End - #140
    Orc in the Playground

Chimera

Ark

Flying in over the new city, Ark begins circling, still invisible, scoping out the general layout and trying to commit it to memory. If an obvious castle can be spotted nearby, he makes note of that as well.

Finally, he drops down into one of the poorer districts nearer the port, in as secluded an alley as he can find before becoming visible again. He begins walking the streets, looking around and listening for any interesting news regarding the target queen, and at the same time, keeping an eye out for anyone suspicious, or the local guard.
    Spoiler
    Show
    spot
    (1d20+9)[29]
    listen
    (1d20+10)[26]

once again, as he sees people, he will make minor adjustments to his clothing to better suit his surroundings. If he happens to see any guardsmen, he takes note of what they are wearing in case the uniform will come in handy later.
    Last edited by Jangoose; 2009-10-18 at 12:27 AM.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Marth
    Marth puts on a common travellers cloak over his mithril armour so as not to bring attention to himself in the tavern. He is also observing others, but not as intently as Copper and Javarel have. He takes note when the two point out the suspicious men seen there. He does not worry when Ark leaves the tavern.
    Best comment I've heard in a D&D game:

Our bard after succeeding in 2 4e grapple checks to slam a female opponent who kind of looks like Ayn Rand:

"I JUST POWERBOMBED AYN RAND!"

22. - Top - End - #142
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Javarel responds via psychic link, "They're suspicious of you because you keep looking around nervously. They're annoying, but things could get worse if we start questioning them in public. We might draw too much attention to ourselves. If they don't follow us, then we have nothing to worry about, we'll be gone by tommorrow. If they do follow us, then we'll have to deal with them."

Javarel continues to walk and make smalltalk, but remains alert, looking around with his eyes and feeling out individuals with his mindsight, as well as listening.

Spoiler
    Show
    Javarel is still actively using bluff, spot, and listen, as well as searching for high-ranking nobles.

If nothing eventful happens as they wander, Javarel will contact the other party members and suggest that they either sleep at the inn for the night or head to Tigrelan.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Orc in the Playground

Copper talks via the link, I'm in no mood to rest. As soon as everyone else is ready, I'm ready for the road."

24. - Top - End - #144
    Dwarf in the Playground

Javarel: Few truly important people are strolling in this part of Beldon Mor, but every so often a carriage will drive by, some practically dripping magic. One of these, the most ornate by far, bears the crest of the Queen of Chaillot - Your mindsight doesn't penetrate the wards around the carriage, but the guard detachment surrounding the vehicle suggests that the occupant is rather important.

Later in your walk, you spot a man wearing a City Watch uniform with the badge of a 2nd Circle commander, but he's the extent of your findings.

Ark: The city is unusually well-planned - Concentric rings of buildings inside an impressive wall, the outer face of which is uncluttered by the usual squatters' camps and ramshackle dwellings, instead being surrounded by a cleared area extending almost a mile inland. At the center of the city is a colossal palace, topped with a crystal dome and surmounted by a floating coat of arms outlined in green fire.

Touching down in an obviously less well-off section of the city, you are struck by the lack of guards - It's as if the authorities simply don't care what happens here. In lieu of official troops, though, groups of mercenaries stand on most street corners, often wearing badges that seem to signify their status as the protectors of a particular shop or tenement.

The only information you pick up is that the Queen's signet - The flaming heraldry in the sky - means that Lady d'Kell is at home.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Javarel frowns when he sees the elaborate carriages pass by. Too many people for him to work his magic, and therefore bad targets. The high ranking guard piques his interest though. He speaks via psychic link, "I agree, we should leave as soon as possible. If for whatever reason we need more time here though, I have a target in mind to pursue."

26. - Top - End - #146
    Orc in the Playground

Chimera

Ark

Ark informs the others of his findings over the psychic link. Call me whenever you all are set to arrive, and i will meet you at the docks. I haven't managed to find out too much more from this side, although i do know the queen is currently here, in Tigrelan. As a side note, we are going to want to be very careful over here. There doesn't seem to be an official city watch, instead, everyone has privately hired mercenaries and guard companies, all of whom, I'm sure, are in fierce competition with each other for business.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Troll in the Playground

Kadyn

Kadyn is at the inn with his lady. If he knows about the plans, then he'll set in motion to meet everyone in the morning at the ferry landing. His jewel should be dark enough to send a psychic thread to each of their party members.
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Daros

Daros uncharacteristically breaks his silence by inquiring Mythlye.

"If you wish, milady, I can arrange a private boat instead of using the ferry."

29. - Top - End - #149
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Javarel begins heading over to the docks as he contacts the rest of the group via psychic link, "Alright, I'm heading over to Tigrelan now. I suggest we use the same strategy that got us here. I'm going to be wandering the streets looking for a high-ranking official to copy. Hopefully that will give us easy access to our target."

Still in his nobleman disguise, Javarel boards the ferry (presumably with Copper) and arrives at Tigrelan.

Speaking to Copper via psychic link, "Alright Copper, I'm going to do the same thing as before but this time I suggest we don't walk together. I'll stay close though, since if anything goes wrong I'll need your arrows to get me out of a sticky situation."

Javarel wanders the streets in the same manner as the last town, looking for a high ranking individual who is preferably moving around unguarded.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluffing to pretend he isn't watching people, listening in case people are watching him, spotting / searching for his target or if someone is watching him.

Bluff: (1d20+15)[30]
    Listen: (1d20+12)[29]
    Spot: (1d20+15)[33]
    Search:(1d20+19)[23]

30. - Top - End - #150
    Orc in the Playground

Copper tries to appear less suspicious by doing something that feels natural to him, browsing the wears of weapon dealers. While he does so, he listens for any useful information that might be said be people buying quality weapons. He hopes to get lucky enough to overhear someone who guards the queen.

Spoiler
    Show

bluff check, so that his browsing is not suspicious
    (d20+6)[8]
    listen check
    (d20+15)[23]