New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 51 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XI

Re: A 310

According to official D&D rules, the Glossary part of the Player's Handbook is "actual rules text". Or, to use the proper terminology, all parts of the Player's Handbook qualify as the primary source for information about how to play the game, including what's required for flanking. Players Handbook II is a secondary source, and in conflicts you're required to defer to the primary source.

The answer to the question is no.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Players Handbook II is a secondary source, and in conflicts you're required to defer to the primary source.
    I thought you were supposed to defer to the newer source?
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    Lower levels arcane spells are usually a drag, but lower level psionic powers are often just higher ones waiting to be augmented.

3. - Top - End - #753
    Bugbear in the Playground

310 discussion can be continued in the new thread Thur started if desired: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129769
    My friend and I have a blog, we write D&D stuff there: http://forgotmydice.com/

Comedian avatar by The_Stoney_One

A Guide to Commonly Misunderstood 5th Edition Rules

4. - Top - End - #754
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jokey665 View Post
    I thought you were supposed to defer to the newer source?
    No. You defer to the Primary Source. I've cited that rule in the linked discussion thread.

The rule about newer material is for replacements of the same type (class, spell, feat, or whatever) and with the same name, or something that's officially named as a replacement. So Kaupaer's Skittish Nerves in Magic of Faerűn is officially replaced by Nerveskitter in the Spell Compendium, because that's a named replacement. And the Expert Tactician feat in Complete Adventurer replaces the one in Song and Silence, even though they have little in common beyond the same name.

5. - Top - End - #755
    Halfling in the Playground

Q 312

Blighter's prerequisite includes "must have been a druid...". If you recieve an attonement and regain your Druid powers, would you lose access to your Blighter abilities?

It seems like its ok to me....until you want to prepare Blighter spells again (which requires you to deforest an area of land; definately a druid no-no). The reason I'm asking is I'm wondering if you could just choose a druid variant, such as Urban Druid, that doesn't care about blighting plantlife...then use that to have your cake and eat it too.

6. - Top - End - #756
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I as a DM have at my disposal 11.000 gp and must for this amount w. magic items reward a PC (lvl 8 wiz.):
    I have no idea, what to buy. (core only) Sugesstions please!

7. - Top - End - #757
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Adamaro View Post

I as a DM have at my disposal 11.000 gp and must for this amount w. magic items reward a PC (lvl 8 wiz.):
    I have no idea, what to buy. (core only) Sugesstions please!
    A 313
    I would use the random treasure tables in the Dungeon Master's Guide and roll one item at a time. Then subtract the price of the item rolled from the 11,000gp until you reach 0 or close to it, then fill out the rest with whatever money is left.
    (Sig by Elrond, Avatar by Recaiden)
    Check out my custom feat: Double Shield Wielder
    This actually happened in a game:
    Spoiler
    Show

DM:"The pope hits you with his rod of persuasion. Make a save."
    PLAYER: "Against what?"
    DM: "Catholicism!"

8. - Top - End - #758
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 312 No.

Firstly, I know of no such thing as an "Urban Druid". The Cityscape Web Enhancement allows you to swap out some particular parts of the Druid's class features, such as Woodland Stride and Trackless Step, but not all such class features. Secondly, if you could choose a Druid variant that did not care about plant life, then you would not lose that class's abilities by turning away from nature. As you would never be an ex-Druid you could not qualify to become a Blighter. Thirdly, the purpose of Atonement is to renounce your prior patterns of behavior. Your plan is directly at odds with that purpose, and thus when seeking atonement you should expect not to find it; the deity would continue to forbid you spellcasting.

9. - Top - End - #759
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by powerdemon View Post
    A 313
    I would use the random treasure tables in the Dungeon Master's Guide and roll one item at a time. Then subtract the price of the item rolled from the 11,000gp until you reach 0 or close to it, then fill out the rest with whatever money is left.
    Tnx for the answer, BUT ...

Guy who rewards this lvl 8 wiz is his stepfather, lvl 18 wiz. He KNOWS what his little stepson/apprentice would need. So random loot is not really an option. So let me rephrase te question: You are a lvl 8 wiz. You have 11.000 gp. What do you buy(backpack, shovel, rope, etc. excluded)? (core only)

10. - Top - End - #760

Quote Originally Posted by Adamaro View Post
    Tnx for the answer, BUT ...

Guy who rewards this lvl 8 wiz is his stepfather, lvl 18 wiz. He KNOWS what his little stepson/apprentice would need. So random loot is not really an option. So let me rephrase te question: You are a lvl 8 wiz. You have 11.000 gp. What do you buy(backpack, shovel, rope, etc. excluded)? (core only)
    Well then that answer falls outside the scope of this thread. Advice isn't covered under rules. You would need to start a new thread for that.
    (Sig by Elrond, Avatar by Recaiden)
    Check out my custom feat: Double Shield Wielder
    This actually happened in a game:
    Spoiler
    Show

DM:"The pope hits you with his rod of persuasion. Make a save."
    PLAYER: "Against what?"
    DM: "Catholicism!"

11. - Top - End - #761

BlackDragon

Q 314 + 315
    2 questions
    1.Was there a half demon/half devil in 3.5 (non-unique)
    2.Is there a spell/ritual that lets you bind a demon/devil/elemental to an item to improve its magical abilities or am I just miss remembering reading extract gift from FC1?

12. - Top - End - #762

Q316
    3.5e

Can the owner of glamered armor choose it's 'normal clothing' appearence from moment to moment, or does it have only one alternate appearence? Considering it costs more than a hat of disguise, I think it should be a moment-to-moment choice. If so, can it be used to imitate a specific uniform, or a well-tailored suit, or a cleric vestments?

13. - Top - End - #763
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 316
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamered
    Upon command, the armor changes shape and form to assume the appearance of a normal set of clothing. The armor retains all its properties (including weight) when glamered.
    You can't change the armor's appearance "from moment to moment", but you can use a command word as a standard action to alter its appearance. You would need to negotiate with your DM about the details of exactly how many varieties of normal sets of clothing the command word could produce.

Adapting your movement to simulate a much lower weight would be outside of the scope of what the magic item can do.

14. - Top - End - #764
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 314 No.

There is no "half-demon" or "half-devil" in D&D 3.5, which instead has the "half-fiend" template (Monster Manual, pages 147-149). Fiends include both demons and devils.

15. - Top - End - #765

BlackDragon

A 314 No.

There is no "half-demon" or "half-devil" in D&D 3.5, which instead has the "half-fiend" template (Monster Manual, pages 147-149). Fiends include both demons and devils.
    Sry guess I was not being clear on what I was asking... I was looking for somthing that was both demon and devil. A hybrid outsider if you will... I know there is a celestal demon hybrid in one of the books coulden't recall if there was also one for demon and devil

16. - Top - End - #766

Q 317
    I'm unclear on what qualifies as a legal target for the metamagic feat "Chain Spell". It says that "any spell that specifies a single target and has a range greater than touch" can be affected; is this limited to simply spells whose Target/Effect/Area entry is listed as Target?

It seems like it should apply to ray spells (and things like Logic Ninja's guide agree with this) while it doesn't feel like applying it to things like, say, the Orb spells makes sense - but they're both "effect" spells and I can't determine where, by RAW, to draw the line.

17. - Top - End - #767
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 317

Chain Spell is indeed limited to spells which have a Target: descriptor line.
    Aiming A Spell

You must make some choice about whom the spell is to affect or where the effect is to originate, depending on the type of spell. The next entry in a spell description defines the spell’s target (or targets), its effect, or its area, as appropriate.

Target or Targets: Some spells have a target or targets. You cast these spells on creatures or objects, as defined by the spell itself.
    Effect: Some spells create or summon things rather than affecting things that are already present.
    Area: Some spells affect an area.
    The other spells you're talking about are Effect (Effect: Ray or Effect: One orb of ...) spells rather than Target spells and are thus ineligible for Chain Spell. The word Target in reference to D&D spells has a specific definition, rather than the broader English word meaning you were thinking of.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2009-10-29 at 04:51 AM.

18. - Top - End - #768

A 317

Chain Spell is indeed limited to spells which have a Target: descriptor line. The other spells you're talking about are Effect (Effect: Ray or Effect: One orb of ...) spells rather than Target spells and are thus ineligible for Chain Spell. The word Target in reference to D&D spells has a specific definition, rather than the broader English word meaning you were thinking of.
    So the final word is, in fact, that ray spells are ineligible for Chain Spell?

Thanks. That's what I thought (though not necessarily what I wanted to hear. =p )

19. - Top - End - #769

SolithKnightGuy

Q. 318
    DnD 3.5

Does taking levels in Uncanny Trickster allow you to use Racial Substitution levels if you do not have enough "real" levels?

E.g. Can Sorc7/Uncanny Trickster 2 gain Sorc9 Sub Level when he hits Sorc7/Uncanny Trickster 3?
    The accuracy of this post is questionable

The Endless Dungeon

The Neverending Dungeon
    Spoiler
    Show

Renewal A fantasy/post-apocalyptic/new world setting WIP

20. - Top - End - #770
    Ettin in the Playground

A 318
    In the case of Uncanny Trickster, it would be allowable. Since you gain the actual class features of the Sorcerer class, and the substitution level is replacing the actual class features.

Note that the normal rules of the Uncanny Trickster existing class features apply. If your racial substitution level gains an improved hit die or skill points for that level, you still do not get those.
    Last edited by Shhalahr Windrider; 2009-10-29 at 09:23 PM.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

21. - Top - End - #771
    Titan in the Playground

Default Question 319

Q. 319

The first paragraph describing an animal companion in the sidebar of PHB page 36 says to treat them as magical beasts for the purpose of all type-dependent effects, which would certainly include some spells. But the last sentence of the "Share Spells" paragraph on the same page gives the type as "animal" while specifically referring to spellcasting. So what I want to know is:

Can the druid affect the companion with animal-only spells? Can other people affect the companion with animal-only spells?

22. - Top - End - #772

A 312 No.

Firstly, I know of no such thing as an "Urban Druid". The Cityscape Web Enhancement allows you to swap out some particular parts of the Druid's class features, such as Woodland Stride and Trackless Step, but not all such class features. Secondly, if you could choose a Druid variant that did not care about plant life, then you would not lose that class's abilities by turning away from nature. As you would never be an ex-Druid you could not qualify to become a Blighter. Thirdly, the purpose of Atonement is to renounce your prior patterns of behavior. Your plan is directly at odds with that purpose, and thus when seeking atonement you should expect not to find it; the deity would continue to forbid you spellcasting.
    The Urban Druid is from the Dragon Compendium. Basically a druid but replace nature with cities and animals with constructs. I do not have the book with me right now so I cannot check but I believe that you can fall as an urban druid but then you would be an ex-urban druid as it is actually a seperate class not just a variant.

23. - Top - End - #773
    Ettin in the Playground

A 319
    As per the PHB errata (available here), a druid's animal companion is an animal for all effects, not a magical beast.

Quote Originally Posted by Player's Handboook Errata, p. 1
    Animal Companion
    Player’s Handbook, page 36
    Contrary to the text, a druid’s animal companion is not treated as a magical beast; it remains an animal. Trim the first paragraph of the sidebar so that it reads as follows:

A druid’s animal companion is superior to a normal animal of its kind and has special powers, as described below.
    Last edited by Shhalahr Windrider; 2009-10-30 at 06:45 AM.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

24. - Top - End - #774

Q. 320
    What are the races that are Large in size with the lowest number of levels that must go into them (combination LA and racial HD)? Please note, I am NOT looking for a medium race with powerful build, but something that specifically says it is Large in size.

25. - Top - End - #775
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by drengnikrafe View Post
    Q. 320
    What are the races that are Large in size with the lowest number of levels that must go into them (combination LA and racial HD)? Please note, I am NOT looking for a medium race with powerful build, but something that specifically says it is Large in size.
    A. 320
    Are you looking for a template or just a race?
    Because +1 LA template: you can be a 1/2 Ogre or 1/2 Minotaur (both increase size to large).

26. - Top - End - #776
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

A320

Half-Ogre from Races of Destiny is large for LA +2 and no racial hit dice. I don't think there is anything with lower LA and HD than that, except possibly somewhere in Dragon magazine.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2009-10-30 at 04:58 PM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

27. - Top - End - #777

Q 321

What happens if a character has two miss chances from two different sorts? For example, Blink and Displacement? I know they don't stack, so do you roll percentage twice or just use one of those two?
    Common sense is not so common.

Nanfoodle the Maverick, Conjurer of expensive tricks

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm da Rogue!
    You make sense in an annoying way.

28. - Top - End - #778
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 321

Actually, the miss chances from Blink and Displacement do stack. That's because Blink provides a 50% miss chance from concealment, and Displacement's miss chance is merely the same percentage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Displacement
    The creature benefits from a 50% miss chance as if it had total concealment.
    Stacking, for miss chances, means you either (a) roll them consecutively (stopping when there's a miss), or (b) roll once using the hit chance product (in this case .5 x .5 = 25% chance of being hit, or 75% of being missed). If two spells both offered the same type of miss chance (e.g., both provided magical concealment) they would not stack and you would instead just use whichever miss chance was higher.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2009-10-30 at 08:31 PM.

29. - Top - End - #779
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Q322
    The Martial Study and Martial Stance feats from ToB require you to meed the necessary initiator level, as well as meeting the other maneuver prerequisites, correct?

30. - Top - End - #780
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 322 Yes.

You must meet all requirements that are not specifically waived by those feats themselves.
    If you lack any martial adept levels, your initiator level is equal to 1/2 your character level.