New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 52 12345678910112651 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Default Simple Q&A (by RAW) 4e I

(This is a fairly high procedure thread; please read the entire instructions carefully before posting. Thanks.)

Ever have a simple, straight-forward rules question that you can’t figure out the answer to? Ask it here. No question is too simple. No more worrying about whether your question is “worth” starting a thread. Ask here and receive an answer. You are, of course, welcome to start a thread for your question, and if you think your question is subject to many interpretations or will start a debate, you are encouraged to start a new thread for it.

This thread will serve as a catch-all for simple, discreet questions that can be answered quickly according to the RAW (Rules As Written). This thread is for all simple RAW questions about D&D 4e.

If your question is about D&D 3.5, ask it here
    If your question is about real world weapons and armor ask it here.
    If your question is about homebrew rulings start a thread here.
    If you are looking for the meaning of an acronym or abbreviation look here.

The Procedure:

Do:
    Label your questions with bold Q#s.
    Note what game/edition you are asking about
    Label your answers with the bold Q# that you are responding to and/or quote the question.
    Be sure that your answer is correct before you post it; if you are the least bit uncertain, just let it pass and get the next one.
    Try to give your answers in as clear and straightforward terms as possible.
    Feel free to quote or link to relevant rules in the SRD, Errata, or FAQ that supports your answer. (You may want to give your answer and then modify it to add support – otherwise someone else may answer while you’re assembling yours.)
    Specify if your question is for a system other than D&D (the default for this thread).

Don’t:
    Ask Homebrew rules questions here.
    Ask trick questions or attempt to “stump the panel,” so to speak.
    Answer a question that’s already been answered.
    Offer contradictions, clarifications, exceptions, or extensions of prior answers unless, in your opinion, the answer give is plainly and completely wrong.
    Post to debate the answers given.
    Post to carry on other conversations whether tangentially related or wholly unrelated.

Dispute Resolution Procedure:
    If you dispute someone’s answer – meaning that they got it wrong in a critical fashion – post your answer and suggest that the original questioner start a thread to discuss it further if they want it hashed out.
    If someone disputes your answer, don’t respond. Just wait to see if the original questioner starts a new thread to discuss it.
    If your question leads to a disputed answer, start a new thread if you’d like it discussed further.

Here are some sample questions. “Bad” questions just mean they should be asked in their own thread where you can get many answers and opinions. “Good” questions just mean that these are the types of questions that are amenable to a quick straightforward answer (probably).

Sample “Bad” Questions:
    How do I play D&D? (Great question, but not for this thread.)
    What is the best class? (Far too broad and requires much opinion)
    What +2 LA race should I take for my sorcerer build? (Again, an opinion question)
    Which is better GURPS or D&D?

{The first several versions of this thread seemed to run pretty efficiently, but if you have any comments about how this thread could be improved please PM me.}

Please start over with the numbering. Thanks.
    Last edited by averagejoe; 2011-10-31 at 08:04 PM.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A (by RAW) 4e/Other Systems I

((Slightly confused by lack of replies here, I've been off of these forums for awhile...))

Q. 1?

In DnD 4th Ed., when the PCs roll a high enough monster knowledge check to gain knowledge of powers, how much info are we supposed to give them? Just names, or full effects? Is this a strictly "DM call" gray area?

Q. 2

Is line of sight required for targeted effects (I.E. Not blast/bursts.) For instance, an ally within a thick fog is within range for you to affect him, but you can't see him, therefor your character wouldn't know his exact location. Will the power still work?

Q. 3

Do skill challenges (called encounters in the books, I believe) count towards milestones? IE Would a fight and a skill challenge would be one milestone?
    Last edited by Vazzaroth; 2009-09-02 at 05:38 AM.

I'm quite proud of this:

WAAAGH!

Secret Option F, The Steam Group!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

The QA Threads were temporarily merged, then split again after some voting. It was agreed to have one DnD 3.5 thread and one 4e/Everything Else thread. It seems that they were right and there are much fewer "4e/Everything Else" questions.

A 1
    By RAW, you should give them all them the ranges, various keywords and special effects related to each attack. You don't need to read them the stat block, but you should give the players enough information to know how the power works.

A 2
    Unless line of sight is specially stated as not needed for a power, then it is needed. So no, you cannot use a power on an ally (or enemy) that you cannot see unless it is otherwise stated that you can.

A 3
    Quite simply, yes. They are an encounter and milestones are based on encounters, not combats. This, I am pretty sure, is intentional as Skill Challenges are meant to keep 4e from being hack-n-slash only (at least as far as experience points go).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

A1 - Corollary

I don't have the books in front of my, but I don't exactly remember the ability to make knowledge checks to know about the powers of a monster. However, beside each entry in the Monster Manual, there's a list of skill check DCs, and what the PCs find out about monsters by making these checks.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mauril Everleaf View Post
    A 2
    Unless line of sight is specially stated as not needed for a power, then it is needed. So no, you cannot use a power on an ally (or enemy) that you cannot see unless it is otherwise stated that you can.
    A2, Correction
    If you lack line of sight, you might not lack line of effect. What is required is line of effect, either to the emanation point of a burst power, or to the target of a single-attack power. If you lack line of sight, you simply cannot see the target, and it is considered invisible to you (grant Combat Advantage, target has Total Concealment against you, and unless you pass a Perception check against the target's Stealth check, you do not know which square the target is in, though it is still totally concealed even if you pass the Perception check). Some powers may require you to be able to see the target, however.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

4th edition

Q 4
    How does regular two weapon fighting in the 4th edition works? Not power related, but if someone just wanted to grab two weapons and go to town.

I'm having a little problem with this rule. It may be an opinion question, but how much the RAW is clear on this topic? Where I can find some good opinions on this topic regarding RAW?

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ryuan View Post
    4th edition

Q 4
    How does regular two weapon fighting in the 4th edition works? Not power related, but if someone just wanted to grab two weapons and go to town.

I'm having a little problem with this rule. It may be an opinion question, but how much the RAW is clear on this topic? Where I can find some good opinions on this topic regarding RAW?
    A 4
    By RAW, you need a power that gives two-attacks to get any real benefit from two weapon fighting (Besides the damage bonus from the feat of the same name).

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Gralamin View Post
    A 4
    By RAW, you need a power that gives two-attacks to get any real benefit from two weapon fighting (Besides the damage bonus from the feat of the same name).
    Q 4 clarification
    Not exactly using both weapons at same time, but using either one at a given time. Technically I can only use a weapon in my off-hand if said weapon have the off-hand penalty, but there is room for discution.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by ryuan View Post
    Q 4 clarification
    Not exactly using both weapons at same time, but using either one at a given time. Technically I can only use a weapon in my off-hand if said weapon have the off-hand penalty, but there is room for discution.
    Unless a power states that it requires the main-hand weapon or the off-hand weapon, either weapon can be used without penalty on an attack. Keep in mind that, unless you have a feat or ability that states otherwise, you can only use weapons with the "off-hand" property in the off hand.

There is no penalty for attacking with the off-hand weapon, but you may not wield an additional weapon for additional attacks (even at a penalty).

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Mauril Everleaf View Post
    Unless a power states that it requires the main-hand weapon or the off-hand weapon, either weapon can be used without penalty on an attack. Keep in mind that, unless you have a feat or ability that states otherwise, you can only use weapons with the "off-hand" property in the off hand.

There is no penalty for attacking with the off-hand weapon, but you may not wield an additional weapon for additional attacks (even at a penalty).
    Thanks for the help.

I will make a new thread for the more subjective aspects of this question, though.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Q - 5 DND 4
    Is there an official errata on bloodclaw weapons? Is the dmg added from it untyped or item bonus?
    I ask because it can make a defender as good on dmg as a striker (or nearly as good).

12. - Top - End - #12

A 5
    The weapon currently remains un-errata'd, so the damage would be untyped.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dekkah View Post
    I ask because it can make a defender as good on dmg as a striker (or nearly as good).
    See also: Pit Fighter or Bugbear double-sword Shock Trooper.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Q6 - DnD 4E

In the character builder, one of the available weapons is "Battlefist" a +3 proficiency, 1d8 damage weapon. Descriptive text says it's part of the mace group. It's listed as an "Improvised Melee Weapon" group (as opposed to military melee, simple melee, etc) How does one gain proficiency with "improvised melee weapons," or would a specific feat need to be taken for Battlefist proficiency?

----------Edit: Just found the answer in another thread. Though I'd go ahead and post it for everyone--------------

A6

Only Self-Forged (the Paragon Path) can have battlefists. And only non-warforged can be self-forged.
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2009-09-09 at 09:41 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q7 - DnD 4E

Are there any playable races light enough to pick up with mage hand? I'm pretty sure not, since the lightest I found is the goblin at 40lb, but I just like the image of a tiny wizard transporting himself with a disembodied hand.
    My homebrew (that I like enough to sig, anyway):
    Sublime Ranger, Incarnum Paladin

Many thanks to lindorm for the amazing SHODAN-clam avatar!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A7 No. However, Tenser's Floating Disk lets you float around a few feet from the ground for a per-day cost.

The reason why Mage Hand won't be able to pick up any PCs is simple: Once you allow that, you have at-will flight at 1st level. Which is a no-go for D&D.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Q8 - D&D 4th ed.

How does the Eladrin racial resistance to Charm effects manifest in combat against monster abilities/powers with the Charm keyword?

I ruled on the fly that the player (running an Eladrin character) had to make an immediate saving throw at +5 to avoid the invisibility effects of Eyebite. She failed the save and so the warlock became invisible to her. Did I screw it up?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

In regards to Q8, does anyone have the exact wording for the resistance? I don't have my books near me but seeing the wording I'd be able to tell you.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Urist Ironblood View Post
    Q8 - D&D 4th ed.

How does the Eladrin racial resistance to Charm effects manifest in combat against monster abilities/powers with the Charm keyword?

I ruled on the fly that the player (running an Eladrin character) had to make an immediate saving throw at +5 to avoid the invisibility effects of Eyebite. She failed the save and so the warlock became invisible to her. Did I screw it up?
    A8
    Yeah... you messed it up. The bonus to saving throws against a power with a keyword (such as Charm, Poison, etc.) only applies if the character is allowed a saving throw against the ongoing effects of the attack. It doesn't grant a saving throw unless it specifically states that it does. Eyebite offers no saving throw (it ends at the start of the user's next turn anyway).

The same thing goes with the Dwarf +5 bonus to saving throws against poison: If the poison slows until the end of the Dwarf's next turn, the Dwarf doesn't get to use his shiny bonus. However, if the poison deals 5 ongoing poison damage (save ends), then at the end of his turn, the Dwarf gets to roll a saving throw with a +5 bonus to get rid of that ongoing damage.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

Q9
    Thunder weapon (Martial Power, p140) says that effects dealt by hammers/maces get a -2 to saving throws, Cunning Weapon(Adventurers Vault, p67) gives the same effect.

Are these effects cumulative?
    Anything else I should look into for a Save-Ends Never End character?
    Look at me, I have a signature!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The_If View Post
    Q9
    Thunder weapon (Martial Power, p140) says that effects dealt by hammers/maces get a -2 to saving throws, Cunning Weapon(Adventurers Vault, p67) gives the same effect.

Are these effects cumulative?
    Anything else I should look into for a Save-Ends Never End character?
    A9 Yes, they do stack.

However, the only known way to make a true "Never Save, Die" character in 4E, IIRC, is to use the Orb of Imposition Wizard class feature with the Orb of Ultimate Imposition. Deva is the preferred race for this...

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

Q10(DnD4e)
    When a monster with a reach 2 grab attack (like Gricks or Grells) successfully grabs someone, does that attack automatically pull the grabbed character adjacent to them, or does the monster need to do that seperately?

Q11(also DnD4e)
    Would a flyer be able to fly while carrying his/her heavy load? Like say, a Grell carrying off the wizard at an admittedly slowed pace but it's still scary because oh crap, they're over a ravine now.

edit: just remembered another question I wanted to ask:

Q12(DnD4e)
    Is it possible to take 10 on a Stealth check? Not during battle, obviously, but if a character/monster is taking time to get into a hiding spot.
    Last edited by Eirikr; 2009-09-21 at 12:43 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q13 [D&D4E]
    The Swordmage at-will power Luring Strike, from Arcane Power, says "You shift 1 square and slide the target 1 square into the space you occupied." Are you able to use this power to directly swap places with the target, or do you have to make your shift first while they're still standing in their original position?
    Last edited by Warclam; 2009-09-23 at 03:19 PM.
    My homebrew (that I like enough to sig, anyway):
    Sublime Ranger, Incarnum Paladin

Many thanks to lindorm for the amazing SHODAN-clam avatar!

24. - Top - End - #24

A 10 Unless the ability states otherwise, no the grabbed creature is not pulled.
    A 11 Simply, yes.
    A 12 By RAW, no. But as a DM, I wouldn't consider this unreasonable in certain situations, especially if the character is traveling a long distance out of combat.
    A 13 Because the wording requires that you shift first and then slide the target into the space you vacated, you cannot simply switch place by RAW since you cannot enter a space currently occupied by another creature. Powers which allow you to switch positions with another character almost always explicitly state that you can do so. This, for whatever reason, is not one of those powers.

25. - Top - End - #25

Q 14
    If I use Heavy Blade Opportunity with Twin Strike, do I have to be wielding two heavy blades?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Faleldir View Post
    Q 14
    If I use Heavy Blade Opportunity with Twin Strike, do I have to be wielding two heavy blades?
    A 14 No. But you must be wielding a Heavy blade and another weapon.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Q.15 (4E dnd)

When moving through a wall (say wall of fire, or wall of thorns), do you take damage for every square you pass through, or just when you first enter it? For example:

Code:
    | |
    |f|
    |f|
    |f|
    |X|
    |f|
    |f|
    |f|
    | |
    In the above diagram, if you (X) were in a hallway that had been filled with a wall of fire(f), and you tried to move to an open space at either the top of the hallway, or the bottom, would you take the damage once, or would you take the damage each time you entered into a new square? (i.e., take the damage 3 times as you tried to move to the empty space)

The question really seems to go to the working. The wording of most of these says that you take damage when you enter into the Wall's space. Is that the same thing as entering the wall's square?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q16 D20 Modern

In d20 Modern can you full attack with a gun with single rate of fire, like a shotgun, or a sniper rifle.

Also if it's not too much trouble can I get a link to a place where it says it.
    HOW WOULD YOU LIKE TO TYPE LIKE THIS?

29. - Top - End - #29

A 16

Yes you can. Making a full attack is making multiple single attacks. It's just like full attacking with a bow in D&D. The firearms rules don't spell it out, but this is the relevant text:

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Firearms

The most basic form of attack with a firearm is a single shot. One attack is one pull of the trigger and fires one bullet at one target.
    Linky

Q 17 Star Wars: Saga Edition

How exactly does escaping grabs and pins work? Escaping a grab seems simple enough - just take a standard action and you automatically succeed at clearing 1 grabber, as far as I can tell. However, escaping from someone with the Pin feat seems completely impossible, as you can't take any actions while Pinned (until the grabber's next turn, when...they Pin you again).
    Last edited by Grynning; 2009-10-15 at 09:43 PM.
    My friend and I have a blog, we write D&D stuff there: http://forgotmydice.com/

Comedian avatar by The_Stoney_One

A Guide to Commonly Misunderstood 5th Edition Rules

30. - Top - End - #30

Q 18
    Where can I find stats for mithral chainmail in 4e?