New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Default Using Prestige classes as Heroic Paths

Ok so really this was a random thought I had and I wanted advice from other DM's. This is for a theoretical game I will maybe at some future point run. . . Maybe. . .

Heroic paths are somthing that exists in the Midnight campaign setting, I've always really liked the idea and wanted to bring that in to other games and other settings.

Ok so my idea is take 10 level prestige classes that fit certain themes and develope them as heroic paths(maybe throw some homebrewing in to make it work). This would only use the special abilities not the fort save or base attack bonus of these classes, It would not be gestalt, more like free extra feats and class features. (I would have PC's gain the benefits at every even level)

My question! Do you think using prestige classes as heroic paths would work and what prestige classes do you think would be best used in such a game?

Any and all advice on this is welcome, even if you think the idea is dumb!
    RAMS > RAI > RAW

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Using Prestige classes as Heroic Paths

Can you tell us a bit more about the game you will probably run? There is a gazillion PrC, it would help to know the flavour of your campaign to know wich ones would work.

Also, yeah, I find the idea somewhere between just intresting and intresting and good, I'm about to do something similar with my players, is going to be a template/PrC that gains powers as they grow up in lvl.
    I WAS THERE
    Life is like a dungeon master, if it smiles at you, you just know that something terrible is about to happen

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins View Post
    Sane.... isn't the word I'd use with you, Coplantor. Or myself, in fact. With myself, I'd say obssessive. With you, I'd say.... Coplantor.

Now I haz deviant!
    The DnD Logic
    Now I haz Blog!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

It's a theoretical game. We'd be looking at something high fantasy with all small population towns, nothing big enough for a city. The PrC's would be somthing along the lines of gifts thats symbolized the PC's as being gifted, destined for greater futures than commoners. . . lots of dragons. . . i like dragons.
    Last edited by ShadowsGrnEyes; 2009-09-07 at 10:26 PM.
    RAMS > RAI > RAW

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

How similar is this to 4e's paragon paths? It sounds...really similar.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowsGrnEyes View Post
    It's a theoretical game. We'd be looking at something high fantasy with all small population towns, nothing big enough for a city. The PrC's would be somthing along the lines of gifts thats symbolized the PC's as being gifted, destined for greater futures than commoners. . . lots of dragons. . . i like dragons.
    Then you should probably go for the "unique ability" PrC rather than those that expand existing class features or those that combine them, like the spy master or the blood mage. Maybe you can use "bloodline" PrC, there are some that will turn you into a dragon, mind flayer, elemental, etc.. That could be a way to explore the players ancestors.
    I WAS THERE
    Life is like a dungeon master, if it smiles at you, you just know that something terrible is about to happen

Spoiler
    Show
    Sane.... isn't the word I'd use with you, Coplantor. Or myself, in fact. With myself, I'd say obssessive. With you, I'd say.... Coplantor.

Now I haz deviant!
    The DnD Logic
    Now I haz Blog!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Elderberry View Post
    How similar is this to 4e's paragon paths? It sounds...really similar.
    Not a clue. i have never played 4e. . . . i have looked at the 4e books. . . but everyone i play with agrees that 4e is basically tabletop WoW so we opted to stick with 3.X
    RAMS > RAI > RAW

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Coplantor View Post
    Maybe you can use "bloodline" PrC, there are some that will turn you into a dragon, mind flayer, elemental, etc.. That could be a way to explore the players ancestors.
    ooooh. i could use the bloodlines out of unearthed arcana! that might be coool. . . i'll have to go reread those. . .
    RAMS > RAI > RAW

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowsGrnEyes View Post
    ooooh. i could use the bloodlines out of unearthed arcana! that might be coool. . . i'll have to go reread those. . .
    I didnt meant those bloodlines, but yeah, those are pretty cool fluff wise, but if you are giving away special abilities to your players you can use the UA bloodlines and let them keep their precious hit dice.
    I WAS THERE

Spoiler
    Show

Now I haz deviant!
    The DnD Logic
    Now I haz Blog!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

i actually just went and read the UA bloodlines and those arent really what i'm looking for. . . the concept is close though. . . to many of the UA bloodlines give you stat adjustments and i'd really rather not give those out for free. i'm leaning back towards Special Ability PrC's
    RAMS > RAI > RAW