Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Total War 2260 (IC)

Aboard the Goldenfever - World Conference

MCU

Spoiler
    Show
    Glad to hear it. Our nation knows very little about space travel; beyond communications satellites, we almost never put anything in orbit. Indeed, our delegation rented a shuttle from a private corporation to get here. So please do be patient if we're a little slow with the details.
    Orbit engines seem preferable. We won't be needing to do much long-distance space travel, but being able to get into orbit easily would be a great asset.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Halfling in the Playground

Griffon

Somewhere in the Empire:

I strolled into the office just as usual, but when I came upon my desk it was over filled with paperwork reguarding a recent World Conference that was ongoing, Frak there goes the rest of my vacation time, "Ferik, whats the deal, where is Saladin?" He shruged and resumed with paper work. Hmm probably had one of his fits agian thats great world confernce I have to go... urg...'FERIK! where going to that confernce, tell the Alpha Omega well be up as soon and we get the OK from whoever hosting the Emperor forsaken deal." I wonder if anything bad would happen, most likely I was attending something was bound to shoot me, or fall apart in the middle of space."Ferik did you send those letters out?" He nodded and we both strolled out of the Office and walked towards the Comm station.

Letter(s):

To MCU:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dear MCU,
    Based on the reports I found on my desk after returning from vacation. I believe you are hosting the World Conference. If so we would like permission to land or clearence whatever is needed...just look for a big pile of scrapmetal jeting towards you and thats us.(OOC: note sarcasium on that last half of the last sentence)
    Signed, Cassius
    Last edited by IrrationalSpork; 2009-09-11 at 04:58 PM.
    Total War Forum
    "That is a low world opinion. Beyond mere hate. If the world found out where your base was, everyone would attack you immedietly." -razovor

3. - Top - End - #63
    Barbarian in the Playground

Karagatan
    Spoiler
    Show
    In that case, I could do good on a delivery - say, standard shuttle model - can get you anywhere above the earth within an hour or two, perfect heat shields, 60 man bunk space. Got comm. stations, storage enough for about a year for a full 60 man crew.

How many would you want? Or perhaps you're interested in something else? Perhaps something more military?

Oh, and they run on good ol' fashioned Field Emission, so just feed them caesium or indium.

For IrrationalSpork, whose nation name eludes me at the moment
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Affirmative, landing clearance codes included in transmission. Have a good flight, and hope to see you soon. Transmission Officer TOMSW-011, out!"
    Last edited by Edwin; 2009-09-11 at 05:05 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Orc in the Playground

Aboard the Goldenfever

To the Mechanised Citizenships Union
    Spoiler
    Show
    "As well as scrap metal, we might also be able to trade information with you, DANPART has ears across the System."
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

5. - Top - End - #65

DANPART
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Information is always in high demand. Perhaps we could supply you with a few ships for info and this scrap metal you're talking about?"

6. - Top - End - #66
    Orc in the Playground

Aboard the Goldenfinger

MCU
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Yes, that seems reasonable. What kind of information would be of use? Military, economic, the other dealings of your existing trading partners?"

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

MCU

Spoiler
    Show
    Do you know the allegory of how giving a man a fish compares to teaching a man to fish? We're more interested in knowing how to build shuttles than in just buying them. Schematics and construction techniques are what we want.
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

8. - Top - End - #68

Karagatan
    Spoiler
    Show
    "We MCU are naturally unwilling to give away our secrets. But, in spite of this, I agree to your terms.

Schematics for heat shielding, orbital navi-computers and Field Emission engines, as well as hull and grid drawings, will be transmitted to a designated network - when we've landed on Earth with the equipment to build the facilities.

Agreed?"

9. - Top - End - #69
    Bugbear in the Playground

Aboard the Goldenfever- World Conference

The labcoat-clad Erik Ironside acts more social and observant then his attire suggests. He grins at Janus, after her handshake, not entirely un-greedily, and looks her over, in a dispassionate glance.

He begins speaking, and talks like he is conducting an experiment.

"Pheromones and genetic enhancement tailored towards appearance and diplomacy. Perhaps sonic technology to enhance voice, to drop the mental safeguards of some of the ambassadors? Maybe even psychic abilities, used on me to make my diplomatic efforts towards you more favorable. As well as possessing the name of Janus, symbolic, probably, used to show your purpose; to be 'two-faced'. Am I right, or is your charm fully natural?"

Erik smiles warmly at Janus, showing that his cold assessment was (mostly) a joke.

"A pleasure to meet you, Counciler Janus. I am Erik Ironside, Foreign Minister of the Steel Rose Society and its worst diplomat, but I suppose you already knew that."

Erik raises his eyebrows when the Pope arrives.

"Any bets on His Holiness trying to give our cybernetic hosts a rosary soon?"

Antarctic Republic
    Spoiler
    Show

Over the secure line, Josef Weaver chuckles, and remarks further..

"Ah, but of course. I haven't become the most powerful figure in the Society by being naive, and while we would all like peace, it would be folly to trust everyone. That 'Sanguine Consortium', for example."

He further comments;

"Do you suppose we should keep the research facility under wraps, even with the Triumvirate business, or should we allow the Church of the Sun God to access it as well? It might be useful to allow the Church to add their own research to the mix, but they might be untrustworthy. Either way is fine, it does not change my plans at all."

Papacy
    Spoiler
    Show

I suppose I'll renew the NUN alliance, but I forget; what does it entail? What are the terms of the alliance?
    Rational Goblin Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

Ixtlan, World of Exploration, my campaign setting. Currently on hiatus.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

MCU

Spoiler
    Show
    Agreed. It's a pleasure doing business with you.

11. - Top - End - #71

Karagatan
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lovely - I will have our engineers put together the construction teams, and we'll send them once the peace conference is over.

12. - Top - End - #72

Griffon

After landing at the MCU world conference:

The Commisar and Ferik procede inside, after making a less then steady landing. I wish to meet the other world leader that are present, where might one do this?, (and Ferik attend to our belongs, if you would). The Commisar asks to a nearby member of the crew at random. The Commissar walks off humming in a randomly chosen direction.

Meanwhile back in the Empire deep within the walls of the Holy Fortress:

Something shiver's through the fortress's very spine. And in the deepest caverns a blue glows grows stronger and stronger. All going unnoticed by the world.

OOC: The Mingardian Empire (of mankin....*the speaker seems to mumble at this point) (for Edwin, I belive)

Also forgive me for the informal first post I tried something new and it was an epic fail...fun but...back on course
    Last edited by IrrationalSpork; 2009-09-14 at 08:01 PM.
    Total War Forum
    "That is a low world opinion. Beyond mere hate. If the world found out where your base was, everyone would attack you immedietly." -razovor

13. - Top - End - #73

The speaker system aboard the Goldenfever roars to life, as a voice starts announcing; "All diplomats, ambassadors, and representatives of your respective nations please report to Conference room A, and the meeting will start shortly."

14. - Top - End - #74
    Orc in the Playground

Aboard the Goldenfever

Harry Lemming leaves the Bridge and heads towards the Conference Room. He's probably the scruffiest diplomat there, wearing grubby-no, very, very dirty- mining overalls and a bulky backpack.

15. - Top - End - #75

Griffon

Aboard to Goldenfever:

The Commissar, hearing the intercom erupt procedes to conference room A after being giving instructions from several crew members. He is able to find it and procedes to the the room and awaits Ferik and the other leaders.
    Total War Forum

16. - Top - End - #76

Erik smirks at the announcement.

"And just when we were all rubbing shoulders with our fellow diplomats..."

He nevertheless strides into the conference room, and leans against the wall for a moment his palms pressed together in a mock listening pose.

He talks a sentence a second, resembling a sarcastic motorboat in his speech.

"I suppose, we're expected to all get in a circle and sing 'Kumbaiyah', right? Because, quite honestly, that's the only way any of us are going to leave this conference happy. Otherwise, we'll just all be baying for each other's blood, because they want to restrict our government in some way.

And that's if something... interesting.. doesn't happen. Am I right?"

17. - Top - End - #77

EvilClericGuy

The ambassador wheeled it's way into the conference room. Hearing Erik's rant and finding that he quite agrees with the man, though he hopes he wont have to,he moves over to the wall and introduces himself. "Hello, I don't believe we've met. My name is Sterling."
    Last edited by kopout; 2009-09-15 at 09:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToySoldierCPlus View Post
    Now you're attempting to model physics when arguing your case for armor made by a guy who explicitly tells the laws of physics to sit down and shut up whenever he starts tinkering stacking with regular armor. Stop that.
    Miny city!
    Industrial miny city!
    transportation!
    round one, fight!

18. - Top - End - #78

Griffon

Seeing Erik and Sterling, The Commissar strides over and introduces himself. "Hello, I am Commissar Caius of the Mingardian Empire, it's a pleasure to meet you sticking his hand to Erik and then Sterling. If you wait awhile longer I would like to introduce my aide to you."

OOC to Goblin and Kopout:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ferik is noticed first by his odour first and then by visiable psoriasis, and by a uniform that was too big and seemed just to float on the man not really touching him. THis is for you RP purposes
    Last edited by IrrationalSpork; 2009-09-16 at 08:24 AM.
    Total War Forum

19. - Top - End - #79

Aboard the Goldenfever - Conference room A

The conference room was a large, circular room, stylishly decorated in red carpeting and light, metal colored walls.

The room itself was, save for the elevator, surrounded entirely in meter-thick steel glass, giving the diplomats a full view of space. The room had a hollow area in the middle - like the room itself it was circular, and went down approximately five meters.

Small platforms were positioned around the edge of the hole, eight at the top, and below those were six additional platforms. Each platform had four comfortable looking chairs, as well as a com and computer system.

A huge flag covered the entire opposing wall - the flag was purple, and had a a circle in white in the middle. Two squares met each other at the center of the circle, the top one was made up of white lines, the second was entirely white.

A tall and armored robot emerged from a door to the right of the flag, a robot one would recognize as General GFC-0112; "Please, take a seat, gentlemen. I'm sure we've all been introduced by now, and I will now leave the word to our dear Antarctic Republican High Councillor Ratana. ". The general walked to the largest and most richly decorated platform, and sat down beside Lord CL-09 and two other droids.

20. - Top - End - #80

Griffon

The Commissar, Ferik, and Saladin (whom came shortly after they landed) take the respective seats and await the conference to begin
    Total War Forum

21. - Top - End - #81
    Orc in the Playground

Aboard the Goldenfever-Conference Room A

Captain Harry Lemming of the Dictatorship of Assorted Nomads, Pirates And Rogue Traders took a seat. He is accompanied by his communications officer, a lady wearing a formless grey top and baggy trousers, and a human male/very good android bodyguard, who was wearing fragments of armour from various nationalities and factions, most noticably a Roman-style helmet.

22. - Top - End - #82

Church of the Sun God

World Conference

Grandmaster Borghese and his entourage take their seats in the meeting room and waits for the start of the conference.

Announcement to the world from the Church of the Sun God

Joyous greetings to all the peoples and nations of the world!

In his most infinite wisdom and divine will granted to him through the divine Sun God himself, our Worshipful Master Valerio Borghese has decreed that the gates of membership be thrust open to all the nations and peoples of the world who wish to enter into communion with the Sun God. It is our most sincere hope that all the nations of the world will welcome us in with open arms so that we may begin preaching the faith amongst the populace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayn
    You know, I'm beginning to realize that when I chose to go from being a player to being the GM, I essentially went from being a mere leader of some nation to being God. And it feels good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade_Tarem View Post
    It's been said that a good backstory is like a skirt - it should be long enough to cover everything that needs to be covered, but short enough that it can keep someone's interest. This... is basically the train of a wedding dress.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

Aboard the Goldenfever - Conference room A

Archbishop Ibrahim takes his seat in the conference room, leaving his guards near the back of the chamber.

24. - Top - End - #84

Antarctic republic

Pre-World Forum: Greystone

Ratana's office was empty when Ricardo was let in, but as the door closed her chair swung round and the psychic looked Ricardo in the eye.

"Tell me, what do you plan to do at the world forum and how do you intend to support the anti-piracy initiative."

As she asked the question Ricardo could feel his mind being elevated, as if subcontious processes were about to be activated.

"Open your mind Ricardo, I want no secrets between us. We will share thoughts."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Just assume she'll take you along, this is a pre-conference meeting so the time gap is possible. She has no reason not to take you, even if you mean ill. She just wants to be forewarned.

Pre World Forum: Clutch of Aphrodite

The corvette bearing the Clutch representatives had arrived in time for the negotiations. All aboard were left mostly to themselves as the other occupants of the corvette seemed to focus mostly on their tasks. Upon landing however High Councillor Asad had personally came to great them and had asked them if they would be interested in visiting the Antartic Republic science centers to view the latest Republican advances in terraforming.

World Forum: Steel Rose Soceity

Spoiler
    Show
    As they speak, Janus leans in and whispers in the ear of Josef Weaver. He could smell her perfume, just light enough to be perfect and with an undertone of desire.

"I find your carreer most interesting. Would you care to tell me some time in private?"

But as Josef Weaver moves to business she brushes his arm sleightly with her hand and remarked back.

"We should see if the results from the research are proper first. No need to tell everyone. We wouldn't want it abused."

World Forum: Conference room A

Ratana had arrived only minutes before the opening ceremony, a man she had introduced as Ricardo accompanying her. Smiling sleightly as she parted from him she had taken a moment to exchange formal greetings with their hosts.

As General GFC-0112 introduced her she rose and gracefully walked towards the center of the room. Standing there serenely she adressed the room in a calm, warm voice.

"My fellow dignitaries, the past century has seen Humanity leave it's world and take up residents among the many worlds of our solar system. New friends have gained sentience and technology is at a level where the most of the troubles of man can be solved at a whim."

She pauzed long and all present could see her eyes become brighter.

"Yet as I gaze upon the web of posibilities, the multitude of tangled outcomes that fate has in store of us, I am frightened. A great threat is stirring, for as we move more distant from each other in the universe, so to do our hearts drift apart."

Her eyes became brighter still.

"I have therefore called for this meeting, to forge new friendships, unions and foster understanding to face the challenges of the present age together. I therefore thank our hosts, who were gracious enough to welcome us into their home. And I thank all of you for attending and showing your dedication to an age where we stand united against that which threatens us.

As she spoke she took a small orb from her pocket. It started to float and projects images of pirate attacks and other suffering that happened in the past decade.

"These are the attrocities of our age and they must stop. No longer should we allow the space that divides us to be a home to those that seek to harm others. I therefore call upon you to share idea's to combat this threat and make trading between the planets safe."

"Furthermore to prevent other missunderstandings I would also call upon you to agree upon formalisizng relations amids the planets, with treaties on trade and the formation of new colonies on distant worlds."

"With these things on the agenda I would like to open the floor for those who wish to speak and I have asked General GFC-0112 to moderate the debate where needed. I wish you all well and hope our this world forum will be fruitfull."

As she finished her words she walked to the platform where Janus and Asad had allready taken their seats and took her seat between them. Amids these two her white robes and thin frame clearly demarcated her as different, with Asad build like a tank and Janus apearing as a beautifull, lucious lady.
    Last edited by Wizard of the Coat; 2009-09-16 at 07:20 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85

Erik turns to Sterling, snapping to attention.

"Erik Ironside. Representative of the Steel Rose Society, and hopefully soon to be representative of Pandora itself.

As everyone files into the conference room, Erik watches carefully, and only takes his seat at the last possible minute.

When Janus talks to him, he answers quietly.

Antarctic Republic
    Spoiler
    Show

"Of course, of course. No one will know of the research that doesn't need to know."

Erik, the SRS representative, and frustrated bureaucrat, sighs.

"And quit that 'seduction' routine. It's working on me, yes, but pointless. I'm the blasted SRS head diplomat; I know exactly how our two nations are allied with each other. Your routine is pointless, if interesting..."

Erik finally sits, listening closely to the speeches. After they end, he immediately stands, and begins speaking again.

"An excellent speech, and full of the 'kumbaiyah', like I predicted, but here, we run into the problem. If we regulate the space between planets, we regulate the governments holding colonies and nations on those nations. And no nation wants to be regulated by red tape and bureaucracy.

But, of course, we must have some order in the land of stars, otherwise we have pirates, as you mentioned, Chancellor.

So, that being said, I propose a simple rule for colonies: If a nation has colonies on a planet other then Earth, and those colonies are attacked or raided, all nations not formally allied with the aggressor will be required to place economic sanctions on the aggressive nation, and additionally provide a set amount of medical, economic, and rescue aid to the colony being attacked. While there is no way to ethically regulate this rule, the simple tide of diplomatic opinion will make those who refuse to give aid a social pariah.

The unoffical pariah status of a nation will lead to less and weaker diplomatic efforts with them, effectively allowing nations to regulate themselves in this regard."

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Pre-World Forum: Wizard

As the psychic enters Ricardo's mind, she feels something... odd. A power that no one person should have. It appears he is also a psychic.

"I do not wish to support the initiative on anti-piracy" he said simply, showing no intention to lie " I wish to make an arguement against such a bill. I am sure that is fair at least"

You feel no lie in his words, though with the power behind him (which seems mostly to be some sort of strange tunnel) he may be lying.

World Forum: Conference room A

Ricardo smiles at the assembled crowd, bows, and moves away from the front, to sit with the dignataries. He folds his hands politely and listens as the others speak ocasionally making small sounds of interest or disapproval.
    She's Shona Han. Disappearing for a hundred years just means she's had a hundred years to plan. Trying to find out what happened to her is just going to draw her attention.

Then it's a good thing Greystone can KICK REASON TO THE CURB AND GO BEYOND THE IMPOSSIBLE!
    - SurlySeraph

27. - Top - End - #87

EvilClericGuy

A good plan for dealing with nations and privateers but what about independent criminal organizations? As far as I know interplanetary space is international territory. If thats true then who polices it? Furthermore it is not like an ocean, we can not be every where at once. The best solution as I see it would be an internationally controlled fleet on escort duty for trade and diplomatic ships.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToySoldierCPlus View Post
    Now you're attempting to model physics when arguing your case for armor made by a guy who explicitly tells the laws of physics to sit down and shut up whenever he starts tinkering stacking with regular armor. Stop that.
    Miny city!
    Industrial miny city!
    transportation!
    round one, fight!

28. - Top - End - #88

SRS Representative Erik sighs.

"That would be pointless, seeing as how I can easily think up a thousand different ways that some madman, psychotic manipulator or even a naive, optimistic fool could seize control of a fleet composed of international ships. And, given the time, I myself could probably implement about twenty of those ways. And I can think of countless more ways that it could be abused without seizing control.

No, we don't need an international fleet. We need a way to regulate ourselves in the vast expanses of space. I propose we provide incentives for nations to behave themselves. I couldn't tell you the particulars, but we could achieve peace in the space routes more easily if we metaphorically dangle a carrot in front of the nose of potential lawbreakers and aggressors."

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

Pre-Forum

The Matriarch and representative expresses interest, but makes no commitment.

Conference Room A

"If I may make a suggestion?" Tia Liliette rises to speak, her escort standing vigilant. "Interplanetary space is not international territory: It belongs to nobody, not everybody. As such, I'd like to suggest the pirates be responded to with an unaligned force: Nations attacked by pirates but bounties on those responsible, and mercenary forces can act as bounty hunters either apprehending or eliminating these frontier criminals. It also doubles as a check against aggressive nationstates and provides a chance for pirates to reform by becoming bounty hunters."

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Conference A

Ricardo chuckles at Erik's statement, giving him a knowing wink. As Tia Liliette speaks he settles down before standing politely. "If I may comment on your idea. What would be the the incentive for Bounty Hunters? Whatever you can offer can be quickly either matched by the organization in question or taken care of through back door debates"
    He turns to the room at large "I do not mean to belittle any of the delegates here, or the nations you represent, but this entire idea is complete folly." he coughs lightly "Noble yes, but folly. As the young lady says, space belongs to no one. There will be those who prey on the weak or stand to make a profit of others misfortune. It is simply human nature."

He gestures to the crowd, his slightly accented english easily carrying through the room "There are no pirates. There are no bounty hunters. There are simply people who desire power. Whether that be in power or money it matters very little"

"You must look beyond the obvious problems and solve the crisis through either simpler ways or you must go much farther"

He coughs again, and then sits again.
    She's Shona Han. Disappearing for a hundred years just means she's had a hundred years to plan. Trying to find out what happened to her is just going to draw her attention.

Then it's a good thing Greystone can KICK REASON TO THE CURB AND GO BEYOND THE IMPOSSIBLE!
    - SurlySeraph