Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 37
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Burley's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    DCMA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Is Stanley attuned to an Arkentool?

    After reading the most recent summer update, I suddenly realized that Stanley may not actually be attuned to the ArkenHammer.
    Here's my basis for hypothosis:

    Stanley, unlike Wanda, has no idea what he's doing with his Arkentool. He learned to turn walnuts to pidgeons after, what, years? Wanda was making decrypted warriors moments later.

    The only real reasons people thought he was attuned was possession and the command of dwagons. Seeing that Ansom was in possession of Wanda's Arkentool, possession =/= attunement. Also, Parson commanded a dwagon pretty handily, though he is much larger than any Erfworlder, and can't really be expected to ride a dwagon successfully.

    Avatar by Lindorm. Doll by Recaiden. Thanks, guys.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am the Burley, formerly known as Burley Warlock. I got my name changed. Please remember me...

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Yuki Akuma's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The Land of Angles
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Is Stanley attuned to an Arkentool?

    ...Buh?

    Wanda still hasn't worked out all of the Arkenpliers' powers either. She just decided to see if she could use them in uncroaking, because, well, she's a Croakamancer and that's what she knows how to do.

    Parson can command dwagons because those dwagons belong to his Overlord and he's a Warlord. Warlords can command any troops belonging to their Overlord.

    The Arkenhammer's 'dwagon taming' ability just means 'you can pop dwagons at your capital'.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2009-09-14 at 10:46 AM.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

    Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."
    Spoiler
    Show

    Baiyan, God of Joy, by GryffonDurime, while the C.U.T.E Scardycat and Dreamer are by Tomb Raven.


    I'm very slowly working on a Legend of Zelda-themed homebrew for D&D 5e. God help me.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Burley's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    DCMA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Is Stanley attuned to an Arkentool?

    I wish I had .jpgs to show how you've dashed my dreams on the shores of your reason.

    Avatar by Lindorm. Doll by Recaiden. Thanks, guys.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am the Burley, formerly known as Burley Warlock. I got my name changed. Please remember me...

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: Is Stanley attuned to an Arkentool?

    I believe one of flaws with arkentool in character page is "choice of friends". That statement wouldn't mean much if Stanley wasn't the "friend"/attuned.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location

    Default Re: Is Stanley attuned to an Arkentool?

    Stanley specifically says that Ansom wasn't attuned to the Arkenpliers. If Stanley didn't know whether he was attuned or not, how would he be able to tell if Ansom was? For that matter, how would he even know it was possible to attune to an Arkentool?

    Additionally, in the prose updates on the erfworld site, he instantly recognizes that Wanda is attuned to the Pliers, even saying the she carried them like he did the Hammer.
    When in doubt, light something on fire.

  6. - Top - End - #6

    Default Re: Is Stanley attuned to an Arkentool?

    Note: Ansom used the pliers. Just not to their full potential. He was able to slay uncroaked in a single hit with them. Wanda, being attuned, can also Decrypt with them.

    The real question is... Is Stanley using the Hammer to its full potential? Could anyone with the hammer tame dragons? Or are the abilities Stanley uses representative of the Hammer's power for the Attuned?

    Note: Ansom knew he wasn't attuned. Ansom stated Stanley was. Perhaps Attunement is something that is visible to the characters.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BRC's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    On Paper
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Is Stanley attuned to an Arkentool?

    Judging by This
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0155.html
    Attunement certainly seems to be a visible effect.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    In Longfeet Keep
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Is Stanley attuned to an Arkentool?

    Quote Originally Posted by spectralphoenix View Post
    Stanley specifically says that Ansom wasn't attuned to the Arkenpliers. If Stanley didn't know whether he was attuned or not, how would he be able to tell if Ansom was? For that matter, how would he even know it was possible to attune to an Arkentool?

    Additionally, in the prose updates on the erfworld site, he instantly recognizes that Wanda is attuned to the Pliers, even saying the she carried them like he did the Hammer.
    You are not a Firefly, by your logic does that make me one?

    Part 2: Could be bluffing
    Last edited by Ledeas; 2009-09-16 at 10:10 AM.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: Is Stanley attuned to an Arkentool?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ledeas View Post
    Part 2: Could be bluffing
    In context it really couldn't

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Rockphed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Near Giant Graffiti.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Is Stanley attuned to an Arkentool?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    The Arkenhammer's 'dwagon taming' ability just means 'you can pop dwagons at your capital'.
    Do you have a source on this? I don't remember Rob or Jami mentioning it, but then I don't know everything...
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

    Now offering unsolicited advice.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    HalfOrcPirate

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location

    Default Re: Is Stanley attuned to an Arkentool?

    Stanley has also been shown using the hammer to fly and blast bolts of lightning, so he has a pretty extensive use of it beyond just hitting people.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground
     
    SteveMB's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Is Stanley attuned to an Arkentool?

    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Judging by This
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0155.html
    Attunement certainly seems to be a visible effect.
    Yeah -- it's not the sort of subtle phenomenon that leaves you wondering "did it happen or didn't it?".

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Killer Angel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Northern Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Is Stanley attuned to an Arkentool?

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    Yeah -- it's not the sort of subtle phenomenon that leaves you wondering "did it happen or didn't it?".
    Judging from the 33th update, it appears that probably an arkentool can form a link very deep with the unit under control.
    Totally speculative, but I think that the uncroaked units are "loyal" to their king, or the warlord (not to the croackamancer), while the decrypted units are more directly tied to Wanda...


    And the Holy War is starting!
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)


    Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Is Stanley attuned to an Arkentool?

    howdy new friends, i'm new here but i've read a lot of erfworld...i totally think stanly is attuned...just 'cause he doesn't use the arkenhammer to it's full potential doesn't mean he's not attuned to it...he doesn't even use his own forces to their full potential...parson is sidelined, sizemore is treated like...ummm, dirt?...you see what i mean...

    erfworld rocks!
    "If bears were bees, they'd build their nests at the bottom of trees."

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2007

    Default Re: Is Stanley attuned to an Arkentool?

    I think I remember Stanley went up through the ranks and became warlord *because* he could attune the Hammer. That was basically the key to him advancing.

    It sounds like attunement is a seriously big deal, and rare. For example it's possible that you have to be a croakmancer to attune the pliers.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: Is Stanley attuned to an Arkentool?

    Taming means that he can, if he encounters feral dwagons, capture and convert them to be totally loyal to him, in addition to being able to pop them through normal city production.

    This is made clear in Summer Updates #35.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: Is Stanley attuned to an Arkentool?

    Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    Judging from the 33th update, it appears that probably an arkentool can form a link very deep with the unit under control.
    Totally speculative, but I think that the uncroaked units are "loyal" to their king, or the warlord (not to the croackamancer), while the decrypted units are more directly tied to Wanda...


    And the Holy War is starting!
    As far as we know she can't actively betray Stanley due to the whole "Thinkamancy" thing.
    Last edited by Dixieboy; 2009-09-25 at 07:44 PM.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2008

    Default Re: Is Stanley attuned to an Arkentool?

    Quote Originally Posted by Burley View Post
    After reading the most recent summer update, I suddenly realized that Stanley may not actually be attuned to the ArkenHammer.
    Here's my basis for hypothosis [snip]
    Well, Ansom has said that Stanley is attuned to the hammer.

    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0022.html

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    tribble's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Is Stanley attuned to an Arkentool?

    Quote Originally Posted by Burley View Post
    After reading the most recent summer update, I suddenly realized that Stanley may not actually be attuned to the ArkenHammer.
    Here's my basis for hypothosis:

    Stanley, unlike Wanda, has no idea what he's doing with his Arkentool. He learned to turn walnuts to pidgeons after, what, years? Wanda was making decrypted warriors moments later.

    The only real reasons people thought he was attuned was possession and the command of dwagons. Seeing that Ansom was in possession of Wanda's Arkentool, possession =/= attunement. Also, Parson commanded a dwagon pretty handily, though he is much larger than any Erfworlder, and can't really be expected to ride a dwagon successfully.
    he learned the dwagon taming ability like, right away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Herman View Post
    I just found a dead cat in my quern. I guess someone was trying to make cat bread.
    Props go out to kwarkpudding for the awesome avatar!

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mercenary Pen's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Battlefield
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Is Stanley attuned to an Arkentool?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dixieboy View Post
    As far as we know she can't actively betray Stanley due to the whole "Thinkamancy" thing.
    Except that, having already betrayed the king of Faq to further her own ends, she presumably has a very low loyalty rating... and could in theory turn on Stanley at any time. She's achieved the end that required her to stay loyal to him (attuning an Arkentool), and now has equal or greater power, and might break away.
    Part of YugiohITP
    Avatar by Pink-Hair

    Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Re: Is Stanley attuned to an Arkentool?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary Pen View Post
    Except that, having already betrayed the king of Faq to further her own ends, she presumably has a very low loyalty rating... and could in theory turn on Stanley at any time. She's achieved the end that required her to stay loyal to him (attuning an Arkentool), and now has equal or greater power, and might break away.
    While Wanda probably has a very low loyalty rating to Stanly (she is loyal to fate magic), she actually didn't betray Banhammer. She thought that Stanley was an idiot (he is, but a powerful idiot is the problem) and that Faq's forces would make mincemeat of him. She was VERY mistaken, but she never intended Banhammer or Faq to come to harm. And it would have netted Faq a Arkentool if it had worked.
    Last edited by HandofShadows; 2009-10-22 at 01:38 PM.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mercenary Pen's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Battlefield
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Is Stanley attuned to an Arkentool?

    Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    While Wanda probably has a very low loyalty rating to Stanly (she is loyal to fate magic), she actually didn't betray Banhammer. She thought that Stanley was an idiot (he is, but a powerful idiot is the problem) and that Faq's forces would make mincemeat of him. She was VERY mistaken, but she never intended Banhammer or Faq to come to harm. And it would have netted Faq a Arkentool if it had worked.
    I sit corrected on that front.
    Part of YugiohITP
    Avatar by Pink-Hair

    Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

  23. - Top - End - #23

    Default Re: Is Stanley attuned to an Arkentool?

    Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    While Wanda probably has a very low loyalty rating to Stanly (she is loyal to fate magic), she actually didn't betray Banhammer. She thought that Stanley was an idiot (he is, but a powerful idiot is the problem) and that Faq's forces would make mincemeat of him. She was VERY mistaken, but she never intended Banhammer or Faq to come to harm. And it would have netted Faq a Arkentool if it had worked.
    An Arkentool wich she had no assurance that would actualy be usefull to them.

    An Arkentool in the hands of a warlod wich was quickly rising in position due to series of victories.

    If "Atracting lighting-shooting veteran of war enemy with angry dwagons at his back to your secret capital wich relies mostly on illusions to stay safe and has actualy very few competent soldiers" doesn't count as betrayal, then it's at least complete incopetence.

    Granted, Wanda isn't a warlord, so she probably didn't know much about military basics (she still doesn't, as we can see how she dealt with Unaroyal).

    Like Maggie pointed out, Wanda is very talented at everything, but doesn't really bother to give her best at anything. She never prepares contigencies, trusting that her lewt skillz will allow het to get out of any mess she finds hersel into, always improvising. She almost died a lot of times thanks to it, one would expect she would've learned her lesson, but she's kinda of the arrogant type (Jillian breaking my mindrape spell? Please, not even in a million years! Hey, why is she butchering our troops....AAAYEEEEE).

    Anyway, Wanda isn't loyal to fate magic. She's loyal to herself first of all, altough it seems like she has taken a liking to Stanley, puting her life on the line for him more than once.
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2009-10-22 at 06:54 PM.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    May 2009

    Default Re: Is Stanley attuned to an Arkentool?

    Did you forget that he can use his arkentool to rock out, the official music of the titans and is stronger than dance fighting?

    I believe the Arkentool is the natural counter to the arkenpliers. Where the arkenpliers seem to create perfect replicas of those slain (and other things perhaps, but this is pretty potent for starters) The arkenhammer creates what seems to be the most powerful unit in the game so far (dwagons) and gives specific leadership bonus and abilities.

    So while wanda can create a massive army, Tool can just lead a flight of dwagons over top the army and slaughter her or her castle quickly in a blitzkreig like strike with a relatively small but perhaps the most powerful unit.

    Essentially it allows them to have the most elite strike force since with the lighting, rocking out and dwagon taming the only thing that can engage him is range and non dwagon fliers.

    As the Tool said, sometimes you gotta tame a dwagon, other times you just gotta bust a nut.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Burley's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    DCMA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Is Stanley attuned to an Arkentool?

    Quote Originally Posted by Necrus Philius View Post
    Did you forget that he can use his arkentool to rock out, the official music of the titans and is stronger than dance fighting?

    I believe the Arkentool is the natural counter to the arkenpliers. Where the arkenpliers seem to create perfect replicas of those slain (and other things perhaps, but this is pretty potent for starters) The arkenhammer creates what seems to be the most powerful unit in the game so far (dwagons) and gives specific leadership bonus and abilities.

    So while wanda can create a massive army, Tool can just lead a flight of dwagons over top the army and slaughter her or her castle quickly in a blitzkreig like strike with a relatively small but perhaps the most powerful unit.

    Essentially it allows them to have the most elite strike force since with the lighting, rocking out and dwagon taming the only thing that can engage him is range and non dwagon fliers.

    As the Tool said, sometimes you gotta tame a dwagon, other times you just gotta bust a nut.
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Archons are actually the strongest unit. I don't have the exact page, but I seem to remember 3 archons demolishing a stack of dwagons.

    Avatar by Lindorm. Doll by Recaiden. Thanks, guys.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am the Burley, formerly known as Burley Warlock. I got my name changed. Please remember me...

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mercenary Pen's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Battlefield
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Is Stanley attuned to an Arkentool?

    Quote Originally Posted by Burley View Post
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Archons are actually the strongest unit. I don't have the exact page, but I seem to remember 3 archons demolishing a stack of dwagons.
    This may depend on the unit stats of the individual archons and dwagons, because we know that different units have different stats and that archons get a whole load of stuff as they advance (information courtesy of summer update #47- I would link, but their server is in dire need of healamancy right now)
    Part of YugiohITP
    Avatar by Pink-Hair

    Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    SolithKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: Is Stanley attuned to an Arkentool?

    That huge stack of dwagons was actually already severely hurt. They had been performing hit and run operations on the coalitions siege the entire turn in hopes that they would be able to do lots of damage, get really injured back but not actually lose any units so that when the next turn started they would all heal back to full. I'm guessing there wasn't a single dwagon in that stack that was over 10% health... hell probably not over 5% (seeing as Parson is good with the mathamancy and could probably cut it really close)

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    May 2009

    Default Re: Is Stanley attuned to an Arkentool?

    The dwagons were severely hurt and were led only by an undead warlord. Even then they only had a slim chance to win even with the barbarian girl's leadership. Then ansom showed up.

    Besides, archons can "level" whereas dwagons are awesome when they start, so we don't even know if they were the powerful archons or not.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    May 2009

    Default Re: Is Stanley attuned to an Arkentool?

    Quote Originally Posted by Burley View Post
    After reading the most recent summer update, I suddenly realized that Stanley may not actually be attuned to the ArkenHammer.
    Here's my basis for hypothosis:

    Stanley, unlike Wanda, has no idea what he's doing with his Arkentool. He learned to turn walnuts to pidgeons after, what, years? Wanda was making decrypted warriors moments later.

    The only real reasons people thought he was attuned was possession and the command of dwagons. Seeing that Ansom was in possession of Wanda's Arkentool, possession =/= attunement. Also, Parson commanded a dwagon pretty handily, though he is much larger than any Erfworlder, and can't really be expected to ride a dwagon successfully.

    I'll list the abilities that the tool has with the hammer.

    First thing was the dwagons, pops at capital and can tame wild ones, possibly enemy ones too.

    Can attack with lightning (shown in his attempt to escape and in the flashback when wanda tells of leading him back to her city).

    Can turn walnuts into pidgeons.

    Can rock out, the official music of the titans and stronger than dance fighting.

    That's 4-5 abilities (depending on if you count the dwagon as 2 since spawning and taming are seperate). Wanda has only shown 1 so far. So yeah the Tool is attuned.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mercenary Pen's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Battlefield
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Is Stanley attuned to an Arkentool?

    Quote Originally Posted by Necrus Philius View Post
    The dwagons were severely hurt and were led only by an undead warlord. Even then they only had a slim chance to win even with the barbarian girl's leadership. Then ansom showed up.

    Besides, archons can "level" whereas dwagons are awesome when they start, so we don't even know if they were the powerful archons or not.
    Dwagons can level too, which was why Parson divided them into A Dwagons and B dwagons during his bid to destroy Ansom's siege. He was delineating between dwagons of differing levels and capabilities...

    obligatory link to source material
    Part of YugiohITP
    Avatar by Pink-Hair

    Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •