New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: [3.x] X stat to Y bonus

Quote Originally Posted by VarianArdell View Post
    from my understanding, since this thread is mentioned here, it is immune to the thread necromancy rules. of course, I could be wrong...
    While I appreciate the picture I agree with you Varian. I thought this thread was one of those threads that was a reference.

I apologize, but this is a really cool thread that I reference a lot. I thought improvements to it would be appreciated by many not just me.
    Last edited by Talionis; 2011-07-23 at 01:49 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Colossus in the Playground

As long as it's bumped, might be worth updating the incorrect information. For instance, Gloura is not a template, Grimweird is not a PrC and Mystic Wanderer is spelled with an A, not an O.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

The posting rules don't have anything in the section of thread necromancy when it comes to threads mentioned in the notable threads sticky. Granted it is common sense, but by RAW (har har har) it is still thread necromancy.
    Amazing avatar by Ceika
    “A player is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisly when the plot dictates he should.”
    Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf DW View Post
    You're the Stalin of dice!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

The "Can't touch this" build claims that Fist of the Forest requires Endurance, but it actually wants Great Fortitude.

It's a minor thing, sure, but that just means it'll annoy you that much more when your whole build trips over it.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Missing is Lurk 6, which gives you int to initiative (As well as dex). Complete Psionic, lurk is on page 11.

Also, um... while a pretty poor looking feat, the host feat 'Spiritual host' allows you to expend your psionic focus to get your charisma to mind blade damage for one round. Complete psionics, page 61... although it's probably not really worth mentioning. :P
    Beginnings usually happen over trifles... even if it's a coincidence...

~ Final Fantasy Tactics

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Ah... well, if this thread is open, I might point out that the Gloura is not a template - it's a full creature (listed twice in the Charisma section).
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

It would be really useful to have a note in the charisma table for which abilities are Divine Grace and which aren't. That would make it much easier to determine which combinations stack without looking each one up.

More generally, the name of each ability and type of bonus would be good information to have in the tables.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

8. - Top - End - #38

RogueGuy

If Dragon Magazine articles are allowed in this thread: There's a Barbarian ACF that gives Strength to Intimidate instead of Charisma. The ACF is called "Fearsome Gaze" and is published in Dragon 349 (according to the Crystal Keep base class file)
    Last edited by Thespianus; 2011-08-31 at 12:41 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

*Approval initiated*

This that be replacing my bookmark of the old thread on the WotC boards. Thank you.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

Battle Dancer is a base class, not a PrC. Just pointing that out.

Also: six weeks exactly. Forty-two days. (Although... isn't this thread unkillable or something since it's on the notable threads list?)
    Last edited by Lateral; 2011-10-12 at 04:46 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Well, if this is still open, then I've got a correction: Gloura is not a template, it's a base race.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Thank you, Person Man, for your great help in compiling this database and makin' it look perty.
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Indeed, this is an awesome resource! Great job.
    Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

Nerdy Meeples: A blog about reviewing and providing strategies on boardgames.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I noticed that this list is missing Mind Over Body from Dragon Magazine #315. It gives Intelligence or Charisma to Hit Points at 1st level along with some other nice things.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

It can be argued that it falls prey to the primary source rule for errata, as there is a maneuver called precisely the same from Tome of Battle.

(It's also possible Person_Man oversaw it for the same reason, as that maneuver is included in the list.)

As a side note, it was also published in Player's Guide to Faerûn, which is the most recent version of the feat. (It was first published in Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting.)

16. - Top - End - #46

While this thread is necroed, might makes right doesn't replace CHA for your leadership score, if you take it you get both CHA and STR. Or am I missing something?

17. - Top - End - #47

DrowGirl

Since this thread has been renecro, in Pathfinder Deverish Dancer replaces Str to Dex, for scimitar if you one hand it.
    The day I find a game is the day that HL2 Episode 3 is released!
    My Brandenburg Interactive AAR game for EUIV.
    Here is the recruitment page

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

Actually, I don't think this thread can be necromancied. There's at least one gap between posts that's clearly over the normal limit.

19. - Top - End - #49

Quote Originally Posted by Akisa View Post
    Since this thread has been renecro, in Pathfinder Deverish Dancer replaces Str to Dex, for scimitar if you one hand it.
    I don't think this list includes Pathfinder, otherwise it would be tagged [3.P].
    Amazing avatar by Ceika
    “A player is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisly when the plot dictates he should.”
    Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf DW View Post
    You're the Stalin of dice!

20. - Top - End - #50
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

The Mod Wonder: Bumped Under Moderator Power.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Firbolg in the Playground

Thanks for the commentary. In particular, thanks to grarrrg for compiling the Pathfinder material and PM'ing me. I'll review and make additions/corrections this week.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I want to mention one thing:

Dex bonus to damage: Fighter Drow alternative class feature in Drow of the Underdark (p. 58).
    Add Dexterity bonus to weapon damage to flat footed opponents less than 30' apart, lose heavy armor and tower shield proficiencies, and also gain +2 bonus to initiative.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Hope this can be of help:

Sensei (Monk Archetype, from Ultimate Combat) has this:

Insightful Strike (Ex): At 2nd level, a sensei may use his Wisdom bonus in lieu of his Strength or Dexterity on attack rolls and combat maneuver checks with unarmed strikes or monk weapons. This ability replaces evasion and the bonus feat gained at 2nd level.

So, Wis to hit.

Furthermore, the feat under the name "Insightful Strike", from BoED, is actually called "Insightful Attack".
    Last edited by Larkas; 2012-05-29 at 02:06 PM.
    Metal Perfection - a template for creatures born on Mirrodin.
    True Ferocity - a simple fix for Orcs and Half-Orcs.
    Monastic Magus - a spiritual successor to the Unarmed Swordsage.
    Pathfinder-ish Synthesist - a simple fix making Synthesist Summoners follow polymorph rules.
    Sword & Sorcery for Sneaky Scoundrels - rogue archetypes/fixes that aim to turn the rogue into a warrior/caster.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

FYI, it's 'Mystic Wanderer,' not 'Wonderer,' who adds her CHA bonus to AC. (This bonus is profane if the Wanderer's patron deity is evil, but sacred otherwise.)
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

I noticed that the Pathfinder section was missing the best weapon ability for monks and Wis casters from A History of Ashes, Guided. It doesn't give you a bonus or penalty for two-handed or off-hand so it's better used for TWF, shield users, and monk punchers. Being able to dump Str helps reduce MADness for Wis-focused melee characters.

It's still debatable on if it's usable for ranged weapons as per RAW because it doesn't specifically say melee weapons only. Theoretically, you could use it on composite bows and thrown weapons at the very least.

26. - Top - End - #56

Quote Originally Posted by zhdarkstar View Post
    stuff
    This thread is two years old. Poking at its corpse is just being dishonorable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Gygax;
    The secret we should never let the game masters know is that they don't need any rules.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LanSlyde View Post
    This thread is two years old.
    Uh, no it isn't.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

This thread is a compilation of reference material, linked in the Notable Threads sticky, actively used by a lot of people, and maintained by a user who is currently active. I'm not sure if there's been an official statement, but past precedent is that this thread is a special exemption to the thread necromancy rules for these reasons. New things to add to the reference don't come along often, but when they do it is appropriate to post them.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

All you have to do is look at the date from when the OP was last edited, 2/20/13. That was a little over a week ago. This thread is very much alive in terms of being a reference material.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGirl

Dex -> Damage [PF]

Musket Master Archetype (Gunslinger)

Musket Training (Ex)
    Starting at 5th level, a musket master increases her skill with two-handed firearms. She gains a bonus on damage rolls equal to her Dexterity modifier, and when she misfires with a two-handed firearm, the misfire value increases by 2 instead of 4. Every four levels thereafter (9th, 13th, and 17th), the bonus on damage rolls increases by +1. At 13th level, a musket master never misfires with a two-handed firearm.

This replaces gun training 1, 2, 3, and 4.
    I think this would be an amazing character choice as it allows you to throw everything into Dex, making you a dex-dodging machine. With the Gunslinger's higher wisdom and good fort save, you should be able to kill anything before it touches you.
    Last edited by arawra; 2013-04-03 at 07:37 AM.