Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 368
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Wrecan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    New York

    Default Class and Level Geekery V (some [spoilers])

    Please note that this post has not and will not be updated for any information after Comic 688. This thread has ceased to be enjoyable for me to maintain. I ask the mods that if someone starts a Class and Geekery Thread VI, that the new thread not be closed as duplicative of this one. Thanks geekerers for many years of enjoyment poring over 3.5 rules and comics! Good luck.
    -wrecan


    Welcome to the latest incarnation of the Class and Level Geekery thread! Here, we are discussing what the possible stats are for each of the six OOTS members. Below is my personal estimate of the characters' stats. I will update this post as the discussion continues and as subsequent strips reveal more information about OOTS. When I have to cite to a post where justification is given, I do so with a hyperlinked asterisk

    Please note that we all know that Rich isn't necessarily being careful about the rules. Funny always trumps rules. Thus, there will always be some dispute as to some of the stats as some jokes are used as evidence as abilities and other strips are used as evidence of funny.

    We also discuss the stats of other characters in OOTS, such as Xykon, the Linear Guild, Miko and others. I only ask that we not discuss the stats of characters that are from other stories, movies, comic strips and so on. Thanks and welcome!

    Be sure to read the FAQ*


    Roy Greenhilt
    Lawful Good, Human Male Fighter 12
    Attributes (39 pt buy min):
    Str ≥20 (from magic item or level boost*)
    Dex ~10 (no evidence)
    Con ≥16 (consistent with Giant's description of Miko fight*)
    Int 14-18 (“very good"*, but V's Int is "higher"*)
    Wis ≥14 (“very good"*)
    Cha ≥12 (“decent*)
    Feats (13): Cleave, Great Cleave, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (greatsword), Weapon Specialization (greatsword), Endurance...
    Skills (≥60): Intimidate, Ride 1... No Bluff or Sense Motive.
    Abilities: Favored class (any)
    Items: Armor (medium*), Bedroll, Boots, greatsword +5 (with other unspecified bonuses), oil of shillelagh, potion of delay poison, Bag of Tricks, Belt of Giant Strength...

    Belkar Bitterleaf
    Chaotic Evil, Halfling Male Ranger ≥11*/Barbarian ≥1* (character level ≥13)
    Attributes (19 pt buy min):
    Str ≥14 ("jump... exceeded movement..."*)
    Dex ≥15 (to use Two-Weapon Pounce)
    Con ~10 (no evidence)
    Int ~10
    Wis ≤9 ("I have an ... ability score penalty" in Profession skill checks)
    Cha ≤10 (V includes him in those w/out any Cha)
    Feats (10): Craft Disturbing Mental Image, EnduranceB, Greater Two-Weapon FightingB, Improved Sunder, Improved Two-Weapon FightingB, TrackB, Power Attack, Two-Weapon FightingB, Two-Weapon Pounce...
    Skills (89): Balance ≥5, Climb, Craft (Trapmaking), Handle Animal 0, Hide (“a good Hide skill”) (+4), Intimidate (sufficient to intimidate cowardly eye of fear and flame), Jump, Listen 0 (+2), Move Silently (“High”) (+2), Profession (gourmet chef) 4, Search 0, Sense Motive 0, Speak languageB (halfling), Spot 0, Survival 0.
    Abilities: +1 saves, +1 thrown weapons, +2 v fear, Animal companion, Evasion, Fast movement, Favored class (rogue), Favored enemy x3 (probably humanoid (reptilian), humanoid (human) and one other), Rage, Small size, Swift tracker, Wild empathy, Woodland stride
    Items: Chef's Hat, Cloak, 3 or more small magical daggers, red chalk, Bedroll, lead sheet, Mama Bitterleaf's Secret +2 Circumstance Bonus Ingredient, Ring of Jumpng +20, stilts, Sapphire guard disguise, string, spice...

    Mr. Scruffy
    True neutral male Tiny Animal (cat) animal companion
    Attributes:
    Str ≥4
    Dex ≥16
    Con 10
    Int 2
    Wis 12
    Cha 7
    Feats: Stealthy, Weapon FinesseB
    Skills (≥6): Listen 2, Spot 2...
    Abilities: Animal companion (≥+2 HD, ≥+2 natural armor, ≥2 bonus tricks, Link, Share Spells, and Evasion, possibly more depending on number of Belkar's levels of ranger), Cat Skills (+4 racial bonus on Climb, Hide, and Move Silently checks and a +8 racial bonus on Balance and Jump checks. Use Dexterity modifier instead of Strength modifier for Climb and Jump checks. In areas of tall grass or heavy undergrowth, the Hide bonus rises to +8).
    Items: None

    Durkon Thundershield
    Lawful Good, Dwarven Male Cleric13
    Attributes (12 pt buy min):
    Str ≥14 (carries V while flying)
    Dex <10 (in a Dragon article, says he has a Dex penalty)
    Con ~12 (no evidence, dwarf)
    Int ~10 (no evidence)
    Wis ≥17 (to use Control Weather scroll)
    Cha ≤10 ("low Charisma modifier" and V includes him in those w/out any Cha)
    Feats (5): Extra Turning (probable, though not definite)...
    Skills (≥31): Heal ≥1, Knowledge (Religion) ≥1 (but not much greater), Ride 0, Speak language (dwarven)... (No Listen)
    Abilities: +1 v orcs and goblinoids, +2 v spells and poison, +4 dodge AC v giants, +2 to Appraise and Craft stone and metal, bless beer*, clerical spells (with homebrew domains), darkvision, dwarf movement, favored class - fighter, stability, stonecunning, turn undead, weapon familiarity (dwarven waraxe, urgrosh)
    Items: Amulet of Natural Armor, flask, full plate armor, holy symbol, heirloom shield, heirloom warhammer, Bedroll, religious vestments, Scroll of Sending, spyglass, belt pouch...

    Elan
    Chaotic Good Human Male Bard 13/Dashing Swordsman1
    Attributes (16 pt buy min):
    Str ≤20 ("more Charisma than Strength")
    Dex ≥14 (weapon finesse, tumble)
    Con ~10 (no evidence)
    Int ≤9 (V says can't "manage ... cantrips"; Giant says "Int penalty"*)
    Wis ≤9 (Roy says he doesn't even have a "smidgen" of Wisdom)
    Cha ≥20 (to gain the 5th level spell slot required to have 5th level bardic spells at 13th level)
    Feats (6): Dodge, Still Spell, Weapon Finesse...
    Skills (≥80): Diplomacy, Hide (wished he "had put more ranks in Hide"), Listen, Move Silently ≤1, Perform (Sing) ≥6, Perform (Stringed Instruments) ≥6, Perform (wind instruments), Ridecc≥2, Speak Language ≤4(less than Haley's Intelligence Bonus), Tumble...
    Abilities: bardic music, bardic lore, charismatic strike, countersong, fascinate, favored class (any), glass damage immunity, inspire competence, inspire courage +2, inspire greatness, song of freedom, suggestion
    Items: Belt of charisma, dashing outfit, silver +3 keen rapier, lute, Banjo; no armor.
    Spells (per day ≥ 3 5 4 4 3 1; known 6 4 4 4 4 2): Animate Rope, Disguise Self, Greater Dispel Magic, Major Image, Mass Cure Light Wounds, Mending, Neutralize Poison, Prestidigitation, Silent Image, Summon Plot Exposition.

    Haley Starshine
    Chaotic Good, Human Female Rogue15
    Attributes (26 pt buy min):
    Str 11-15 (high enough to carry Belkar, but must drag Roy)
    Dex 20-21 ("modifier of +5"*)
    Con ≥14 (consistent with Giant's description of Miko fight*)
    Int ≥12 (received bonus languages)
    Wis ~10 (no evidence)
    Cha ~10 (no evidence)
    Feats (6+2): Dodge, Improved Precise Shot, Manyshot, Martial Weapon Proficiency (longbow), Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Ranged Pin, Ranged Sunder, Rapid Shot.
    Skills (≥159): Appraise (high), Bluff 16 (maxed ranks), Disable Device, Forgery, Hide ≥15, Knowledge (Arcane) (probable), Open Lock ≥15, Ride 0, Search, Sense Motive ≥2, Tumble, Use Rope ≥8...
    Abilities: Evasion, Favored class (any), Improved uncanny dodge, Sneak attack +8d6, 2 Special abilities (both are feats), Trapfinding, Trap sense +5, Uncanny dodge
    Items: Magic leather armor, dyed magical boots, 8 Bags of Holding, +5 bow of icy air freshness, quivers of green arrows (inc'g silver and cold iron), masterworked lockpicks, rope, Bedroll, at least 200,000 gp in cash...

    Vaarsuvius
    Non-evil alignment, Elven Ambiguously Gendered Wizard 14
    Attributes (12 pt buy min):
    Str ≤9 ("I have a Strength penalty")
    Dex 10-11 (“no real attack bonus” on rays*)
    Con ≤12 (consistent with Giant's description of Miko fight*)
    Int 23, 19 unmodified (based on spells cast and limits thereof)
    Wis 10-12 ("moderate wisdom"*)
    Cha 6-9 (can return as a ghost with "poor charisma"*)
    Feats (9): AlertnessB, Empower Spell, Martial Weapon ProficiencyB (composite longbow, composite shortbow, longbow, longsword, rapier, shortbow and shortsword), Maximiz Spell, Quicken Spell, Scribe ScrollB... Not Silent Spell* or Still Spell
    Skills (97): Concentrate ≤15, Craft (Alchemy), Knowledge (Arcane), Listen (+2), Ride 0, Spot (+2), Search 0 (+2), Speak language (elven), Spellcraft...
    Abilities: +2 v enchantment, Barred school (Conjuration and Necromancy), Specialized school (Evocation), Favored class (wizard), Immune to sleep, Low-light vision, Summon familiar...
    Items: Headband of Intellect +4 (based on Intelligence calculations), Ring of Wizardry (affects level ≥3 spells), robes, many spellbooks, ink, paper, two small gemstones, some item that increases Intelligence by at least 4*, Finding Plot Holes for Dummies, nine books of unknown title, jar of diamond dust. No potions or scrolls...
    Spells (per day -- 4+1 6+1 6+1 5+1 5+1 4+1 4+1 2+1): Banishment, Bull's Strength, Chain Lightning, Charm Monster, Cone of Cold, Crushing Despair, Detect Magic, Dimensional Anchor, Disintegrate, Dispel Magic, Evan's Spiked Tentacles of Forced Intrusion, Expeditious Retreat, Explosive Runes, Feather Fall, Fireball, Fire Trap, Forcecage, Fly, Grasping Hand, Gust of Wind, Haste, Heroism, Hold Person, Hold Portal, Identify, Invisibility, discount Invisibility Sphere, Lightning Bolt, Magic Missile, Mass Bear's Endurance. Mass Bull's Strength, Mass Enlarge Person, Owl's Wisdom, Power Word Blind, Prestidigitation, Prismatic Spray, Protection From Arrows, Scorching Ray, See Invisibility, Sending, Sleep, Suggestion, Vaarsuvius' Enhanced Scrying, Vaarsuvius' Greater Animal Messenger, Vampiric Touch, Veil...

    Blackwing
    True Neutral Male Tiny Magical Beast (Raven), 14 HD (1/2 of V's hp)
    Attributes:
    Str 1 (raven)
    Dex 15 (raven)
    Con 10 (raven)
    Int 12 (raven, 14th level wizard's familiar)
    Wis 14 (raven)
    Cha 6 (raven)
    Feats: Alertness, Weapon FinesseB
    Skills (Blackwing uses V's skill ranks, unless Blackwing's ranks are higher): Concentration, Craft (Alchemy), Knowledge (Arcane), Listen +5, Speak language (Common, Elven), Spellcraft, Spot +7
    Abilities: Deliver touch spells, empathic link, improved evasion, low-light vision, share spells, speak with master, speak with birds, spell resistance 19, +7 to natural armor
    Items: bauble, and tiny sombrero, fake beard and mustache
    Last edited by Wrecan; 2009-11-09 at 02:50 PM.
    Here is a numbering of all character appearances in OOTS

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Wrecan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    New York

    Default Re: Class and Level Geekery V (some [spoilers])

    Frequently Asked Questions

    Q. Where did you get this idea?
    A. The first incarnation of this thread was started by runolfr in the old version of the message boards. Everybody is always talking about this stuff and this thread is intended to be a central repository for all discussions of the stats of OOTS and the various NPCs (though I'm only keeping track of OOTS stats). You can read the prior version of this thread here:
    Class and Level Geekery
    Class and Level Geekery II
    Class and Level Geekery III
    Class and Level Geekery IV.

    Q. Doesn't Comic X demonstrate Vaarsuvius' gender?
    A. No. No! NO! Please read the FAQ. Better yet, I'll quote it verbatim:
    Q: Is Vaarsuvius male or female?

    A: I will never reveal the truth! Bwahaha! Keep in mind that while certain other characters might refer to V as being male or female, that simply reveals their perception, not the actual reality of the situation.

    Q. When do the OOTS PCs level up?
    A. OOTS is 10th level some time before episode 1, 11th level at episode 12, 12th level at 124, 13th level by 397 (Elan's 13th level was in his new prestige class), and Belkar hit 14th level in 515 (although if he failed his save against the wight's level drain, he'd still be 13th level). Haley was 15th level some time before 615. Vaarsuvius is definitively 14th by 627 (which is the definitive indication that OOTS ceased leveling up at the same rate since Roy's death). (Durkon may also be 15th level.) Elan raised a level in 647, and has 13 levels of bard and one or more levels of Dashing Swordsman. If Roy is raised from the dead, he will likely be reduced to 12th level.

    Q. Why don't you list character ages?
    A. A few reasons. First, age is only relevant in D&D if one changes Age Categories. As far as we can tell, everybody is in the "Adult" Age category. Second, the Giant has not been very, how shall we say, consistent, on character ages. Since there's no mechanical (read geeky) benefit/penalty to any specific age, unless someone changes age category in a strip, we're not tracking it.

    Q. Why is Mr. Scruffy an animal companion? I don't think it's definitive.
    A. The extended discussion on this begins here.

    Q. In Comic 2, Elan praises his "six new skill points". Since human bards get 7+Int skill points per level, doesn't this mean that he has an Int penalty of -1 and an Intelligence of 8 or 9?
    A. No. According to the Giant, he's referring to the the new rule for bards and skill points, which is 6/level (not including racial and ability bonuses), and that's 7+Int skill points per level, not per edition conversion. Elan hadn't just gained a level.

    Q. Does Comic 17 mean that Belkar has a sonic sunder attack?
    A. No. it would ruin the joke if Belkar was referring to some sonic attack, as opposed to making fun of the flimsiness of the standard rapier.

    Q. In Comic 28, didn't Haley claim to have a Charisma of 18?
    A. She was talking about Elan.

    Q. In Comic 31, Roy is more appetizing than Vaarsuvius to the illithid. Doesn't this mean Roy should have a higher Intelligence than Vaarsuvius?
    A. No. The illithid apparently measures the aggregate of all the mental Abilities (Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma). V has a high Intelligence, but average Wisdom and low Charisma. Roy needs to have a higher aggregate score.

    Q. In Comic 34, Roy says Elan's bardic bonus is +1, meaning he is no greater than 8th level. Doesn't this make him two levels lower than the rest of the party?
    A. Since everybody gains a level at the same time (more or less) in Comic 124, it seems everybody is the same level. Otherwise, they'd increase in level in staggered bits. So Comic 124 trumps Comic 34. And since we know the party level was 11 at the time, Elan's bardic bonus is higher than +1, notwithstanding what Roy says.

    Q. In Comic 38, Durkon tells Roy he's paralyzed because he was poisoned 17 times with Strength poison. Doesn't this mean Roy's Stength is 17?
    A. No. First poison inflicts variable Ability Damage. Being poisoned 17 times would mean he lost dozens of Strengh points. Second, your Strength can never be reduced below 0, no matter how much you're poisoned. The number 17 was chosen for its funny. It cannot indicate Roy's Strength.

    Q. Doesn't Comic 49 indicate Vaarsuvius has Time Stop, Meteor Swarm and Wish in the spellbook?
    A. No. Vaarsuvius was not even looking at the spellbook. It was likely an attempt to suggest the most outrageous spells for Zz'ditri's variant Fly spell. The evidence, at best, is inconclusive.

    Q. Then why does Comic 49 indicate Vaarsuvius has Vampiric Touch? That spell might even be in Vaarsuvius' barred school of necromancy!
    A. Vaarsuvius mentions ths in between two spells be know Vaarsuvius possesses. Thus, Vaarsuvius was not kidding at the time. Even if Vaarsuvius can't cast necromancy, Vaarsuvius could hve had that spell before the upgrade and kept it in the spellbook afterwards.

    Q. In Comic 58, Belkar uses a scroll of Cure Serious Wounds, which requires him to have a Wisdom of 14. Since Vaarsuvius cast Owl's Wisdom on him (which boosts your Wisdom by 4), he must have a Wisdom of 10. Why do you have him at less?
    A. That comic was trumped by the more recent Comic 475 in which Belkar admits to having an Ability score penalty to Profession checks. Since Wisdom is the Ability that modified Profession, Belkar cannot have a Wisdom above 9. So we are ignoring Comic 58 as one of those times where "funny trumps rules."

    Q. Wait a minute. Cure Serious Wounds is only a third-level spell on the clerical spell list. And since it was Durkon's scroll and Durkon is a cleric, wouldn't that mean Belkar only needed a 13 Wisdom, which means a 9 Wisdom before Vaarsuvius cast Owl's Wisdom?
    A. No. Scrolls have no class listed. You use the level of the spell on the caster's spell list. Cure Serious Wounds is a 4th level Ranger spell.

    Q. In Comic 73, Thor acts pretty chaotically and he's listed as Chaotic Good in Deities and Demigods. Since clerics cannot be more than one step removed from their deity, how can Durkon be lawful?
    A. The Thor in OOTS is not the Thor in Deities and Demigods. Thor is more likely Neutral Good with lots of Lawful and Chaotic characteristics. Either way, Durkon, is clearly Lawful Good.

    Q. Where's Elan's coffee maker (Comic 81), espresto box (Comic 84), squirrel, paddleball game, lantern, roller skate or jam (Comic 206)?
    A. From Comic 471, Elan appears to have lost all of his equipment when Nale temporarily switched places with him. So only the equipment he has been seen with since his escape from prison in Comic 387 will be listed.

    Q. From Comic 127, You use Vaarsuvius' statement that Elan can't use cantrips as evidence that Elan has under a 10 Intelligence. But Elan casts spells all the time.
    A. In D&D, wizards use Intelligence to cast spells and require Intelligence 10 to cast cantrips. Bards use Charisma. Vaarsuvius is saying Elan doesn't have the Intelligence needed to cast cantrips as a Wizard.

    Q. In Comic 170, Durkon gets a golden tankard. Why isn't that on his possessions?
    A. It's too big for Durkon to carry, so we assume it was left behind. If it shows up again, it will be placed on the possessions list.

    Q. In Comic 188, doesn't Vaarsuvius demonstrate the skill Speak Language (draconic)?
    A. Not necessarily. Vaarsuvius may also have ranks in Decipher Script (for which evidence has been found in one of the Dragon Magazine strips).

    Q. In Comic 219, Durkon is fighting ogres. Why is this strip referenced as his bonus for fighting giants?
    A. In D&D 3.5, ogres are of the "giant type", and dwarves (like Durkon) get a dodge bonus when fighting creatures of the giant type.

    Q. In Comic 245, Vaarsuvius and Haley only manage to save one bag of treasure. Why do you still list Haley as having eight bags of holding?
    A. The bag they rescued is not a bag of holding, but a regular sack of treasure. We know this because in Comic 130 we see what a bag of holding looks like, and it doesn't look like the sack of treasure in Comic 245. Haley keeps her bags of holding on her person. It wouldn't have needed rescuing.

    Q. In Comic 249, Belkar talks about Roy's "heavy armor". Why is he listed with only Medium armor?
    A. In order for Roy carrying Durkon (as he does in Comic 5) to make sense, Roy would need to be wearing nothing heavier than Medium armor. Otherwise, Roy runs no faster than Durkon. Thus, we assume Belkar is speaking descriptively about Roy's armor, in accordance with his Craft Disturbing Mental Images Feat.

    Q. Doesn't Comic 599 demonstrate that Vaarsuvius can cast Overland Flight?
    A. Quite probably. But until we get confirmation that Vaarsuvius flew farther than a 13-14th level wizard can fly using the Fly spell, we cannot state it with certainty.

    Q. Doesn't Comic 616 demonstrate that Belkar has Improved Trip and Improved Disarm? Crystal never got an AoO on him, which should mean he has those feats.
    A. Possibly. However, AoOs are not always shown in the comic. Crystal may have forgotten to use it, or may have missed and the Giant didn't bother to show it to us.

    Q. Doesn't Comic 624 demonstrate that Vaarsuvius has Bugsby's Grasping Hand, Bugsby's Flicking Finger and Bugsby's Expressive Single Digit?
    A. No. Those are just humorous uses of the Grasping Hand spell.
    Last edited by Wrecan; 2009-10-25 at 07:06 AM.
    Here is a numbering of all character appearances in OOTS

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground
     
    RogueGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    PST (GMT -8)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Class and Level Geekery V (some [spoilers])

    Yay new thread!
    Last edited by Eloel; 2009-09-23 at 06:39 AM.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    RMS Oceanic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Class and Level Geekery V (some [spoilers])

    Since Chrismith hasn't posted since December, I'll volunteer to take on the other characters.

    Other characters

    Stats for characters who aren't the Order of the Stick.

    Team Evil

    Redcloak
    Lawful Evil, Goblin Male, Cleric 15+
    Attributes:
    Str ~8 (no evidence, racial)
    Dex ~12 (no evidence, racial)
    Con ~10 (no evidence)
    Int ~10 (no evidence)
    Wis 20+ (save DC for L7 spell is >21)
    Cha 12+ (repeated use of Rebuke Undead)
    Feats (5+): Extend Spell, Craft Wonderous Item (helped Xykon create his phylactery)
    Skills (36+): Diplomacy, Ranks in Knowledge (Chemistry). +4 racial bonus on Move Silently and Ride checks.
    Abilities: Bolster/Rebuke/Command Undead, two Domains (Destruction and Law), darkvision 60'.
    Items: Monster Manual II, Book of Vile Darkness, Fiend Folio, Backup Unholy symbol, Eye bandage, Crimson Mantle, spyglass.

    Xykon
    Chaotic Evil, Human Male Lich, Sorcerer 27+
    Attributes:
    Str 14+ (Able to carry two goblins and an elf while flying)
    Dex ~10 (No Evidence)
    Con n/a (undead)
    Int ~15 (No Evidence, +5 from being venerable and becoming a lich)
    Wis ~15 (No Evidence, +5 from being venerable and becoming a lich)
    Cha 28+ (based on Start of Darkness events)
    Feats (13+): Maximize Spell, Skill Focus (Spellcraft) and Epic Skill Focus (Spellcraft), Still Spell, Improved Spell Capacity x3 (Maximized Energy Drain is a 12th level spell), Epic Spellcasting, some sort of crafting feat
    Skills (46+): Bluff; +8 racial bonus on Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Search, Sense Motive, and Spot checks, Spellcraft 24+, Knowledge (Arcana) 24+ (Prereqs for Epic Spellcasting feat)
    Abilities: Fear aura, paralyzing touch, turn resistance, damage reduction, immunity to cold, electricity, polymorph, and mind-affecting attacks.
    Items: Widescreen crystal ball, Teevo, crown that radiates evil, headband likely belonging to Dorukan, Unspecified magic item that grants immunity to Fire damage.
    SoD spoiler:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Also has (or had) a gem containing the souls of Dorukan and Lirian.

    Spells Known: Animate Dead, Cloister, Cloudkill, Contingency, Energy Drain, Epic Mage Armor, Finger of Death, Ghostform, Greater Invisibility, Greater Teleport, Invisibility, Lightning Bolt, Magic Missile, Mass Hold Person, Meteor Swarm, Otiluke's Resilient Sphere, Overland Flight, Ray of Frost, Shatter, Soul Bind, Either Stoneskin or Stoneshape, Superb Dispelling, Symbol of Pain, Symbol of Insanity, Teleport, Xykon's Moderately Escapable Forcecage.

    Tsukiko
    Evil, Human Female, Wizard 3+ / Cleric 3+ / Mystic Theurge 6+
    (minimum CL 9 for both divine and arcane spells)
    Attributes:
    Str ~10 (no evidence)
    Dex ~10 (no evidence)
    Con ~10 (no evidence)
    Int 15+ (minimum to cast Teleport as a wizard)
    Wis 15+ (minimum to cast Flame Strike as a cleric)
    Cha ~10 (no evidence)
    Feats (6+): Scribe scroll, Quicken Spell
    Skills (42+): Knowledge (arcana) 6+, Knowledge (religion) 6+ (Requirements for Mystic Theurge)
    Abilities: Rebuke/Command Undead (Wishes she could rebuke Paladins like in First Edition), two unknown domains.
    Items: Unholy Symbol, Xykon Plushie.
    Spells Known: Fly, Lightning Bolt, Shout, Teleport, Dominate Person, Fireball, Invisibility, Electric Orb Fire Orb, Lesser Acid Orb, Cold Orb, Mind Fog

    The Linear Guild

    Nale
    Lawful Evil, Human Male, Fighter 1+ - Rogue 1+ - Sorcerer 6+
    Attributes:
    Str ~10 (no evidence)
    Dex ~10 (no evidence)
    Con ~10 (no evidence)
    Int ~10 (no evidence)
    Wis ~10 (no evidence)
    Cha 15+ (Minimum to cast sending)
    Feats (8): Unknown.
    Skills (49+): Bluff
    Abilities: Sneak attack +1d6 (or more), trapfinding
    Items: Longsword
    Known Spells: Charm Person, Expeditious Retreat, Suggestion, Prestidigitation. Nale claims to specialize in Enchantment spells.

    Sabine
    Evil Succubus, Outsider, Rogue 1+ (Stated in No Cure for the Paladin Blues)
    Attributes:
    Str =18 (carried Nale and Thog while flying)
    Dex ~12 (No Evidence, Racial Modifiers)
    Con ~12 (No Evidence, Racial Modifiers)
    Int ~16 (No Evidence, Racial Modifiers)
    Wis ~14 (No Evidence, Racial Modifiers)
    Cha ~26 (No Evidence, Racial Modifiers)
    Feats (5): Unknown
    Skills (120+): Unknown
    Abilities: Energy drain, shape-shifting, DR against either cold iron or silver (or both?), plane shift 1/day
    Items: None

    Thog
    Chaotic Evil, Male Half-Orc, Fighter 2 - Barbarian 10
    Attributes:
    Str 14+ (able to carry Hilgya while flying, likely higher)
    Dex ~10 (no evidence)
    Con ~10 (no evidence)
    Int 8 or lower ("Int was his dump stat.")
    Wis ~10 (no evidence)
    Cha ~8 (no evidence, racial)
    Feats (7): 2 Fighter bonus feats
    Skills (56+): Unknown
    Abilities: Fast movement, rage 3/day, improved uncanny dodge, trap sense +3, DR 2/-, Darkvision, Orc Blood.
    Items: Leprechaun suit.

    Part-time Members
    Spoiler
    Show

    Leeky Windstaff
    Neutral Evil, Male Gnome, Druid 14+ (cast Firestorm and Heal)
    Attributes:
    Str ~8 (no evidence, racial)
    Dex ~10 (no evidence)
    Con ~12 (no evidence, racial)
    Int ~10 (no evidence)
    Wis 17+ (Minimum to cast Fire Storm)
    Cha ~10 (no evidence)
    Feats (5): Leadership
    Skills (66+): Unknown
    Abilities: Low-Light Vision; +2 racial bonus on saving throws against illusions; +1 DC for all saving throws against illusion spells cast; +1 racial bonus on attack rolls against kobolds and goblinoids; +4 dodge bonus to Armor Class against monsters of the giant type; +2 racial bonus on Listen checks; +2 racial bonus on Craft (alchemy) checks; spell-Like abilities (CL 1; save DC 10 + Cha modifier + spell level): 1/day—speak with animals (burrowing mammal only, duration 1 minute), dancing lights, ghost sound, prestidigitation; wild shape (4/day, large/tiny/plant); venom immunity; resist nature's lure; trackless step; woodland stride; wild empathy; nature sense; animal companion.
    Items: Staff (properties unknown, broken by Durkon's thunderclap)

    Pompey
    Chaotic Evil, Male Half-Elf, Wizard (Conjurer) 4+
    Attributes:
    Str ~10 (no evidence)
    Dex ~10 (no evidence)
    Con ~10 (no evidence)
    Int 12+ (Minimum to cast Summon Monster II)
    Wis ~10 (no evidence)
    Cha ~10 (no evidence)
    Feats (3): Scribe scroll, possibly Still Spell and/or Silent Spell
    Skills (55+): Unknown
    Abilities: Immune to sleep spells and similar magical effects; +2 racial bonus on saving throws against enchantment spells or effects; Low-Light Vision; +1 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks; +2 racial bonus on Diplomacy and Gather Information checks.
    Items: Unknown
    Spells Known: Animate Rope, Summon Monster II, at least 5 touch-range buff spells -- lowest-level possibilities are Mage Armor, Protection from Good, Protection from Law, Bull's Strength, Bear's Endurance.

    Yokyok (Deceased)
    Spoiler
    Show

    Possibly Lawful Good, Male Kobold, Unknown Class (may include Duellist PrC)
    Items: Rapier
    This is probably all we'll ever know about Yokyok, since he was killed by a swarm of greedy adventurers before really demonstrating his abilities and his head made into a chip bowl by Belkar.


    Hilgya
    Female Dwarf, Cleric 7+
    Hilgya is known to worship Loki, and one of her domains is Fire. The other is likely chaos.
    Wis 14+ (Minimum to cast Restoration)
    Items: Horned helment, armor, shield, holy symbol of Loki


    Zz'dtri
    Male Drow, Wizard 11+
    Transmuter (Cast six Fly spells in one day), barred schools (two of: Conjuration, Enchantment, Illusion, Necromancy)
    Int 16+ (Minimum to cast Flesh to Stone)
    Feats: possibly Two-Weapon Fighting
    Weapons: Pair of scimitars
    Spells: Flesh to Stone, Fly (3.0 version), Shield, Wall of Ice. Unspecified attack spell characterized by green lightning.

    Yikyik (Deceased)
    Spoiler
    Show

    Male Kobold, Ranger
    Feats: Combat Reflexes



    The Sapphire Guard

    Miko Miyazaki (deceased)
    Spoiler
    Show

    Lawful Good, Human Female, Monk 2 / Fallen Paladin 12-14 (based on number of attacks per round)
    Attributes:
    Str 13+ (to wield Katana one-handed)
    Dex 17+ (required for Improved 2-Weapon Fighting)
    Con 12+ (no clear evidence, but has high damage capacity)
    Int 10+ (not stupid, but no demonstration of high Int)
    Wis 11+ (Minimum to cast Cure Light Wounds)
    Cha 14+ (effective Divine Grace and substantial Laying On Hands)
    Feats (6-7): Two-Weapon Fighting, Stunning Fist, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Bastard Sword/Katana), Power Attack, Cleave, Track
    Skills (30+): Ride, Survival +1, Handle Animal (not demonstrated, but likely), Knowledge (the Planes).
    Abilities: Evasion, flurry of blows, Improved Unarmed Strike, (Combat Reflexes or Deflect Arrows). Unavailable Paladin abilities spoilered-out.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Aura of good, detect evil, divine grace, lay on hands, aura of courage, divine health, turn undead, special mount (Windstriker), remove disease 2/week, smite evil 3/day, spells (1/1).

    Items: Magic boots, cloak and armor, Katana, Wakizashi, known to carry Cure potions.


    Hinjo
    Lawful Good, Human Male, Paladin 11+ (appears to have 3 attacks/round)
    Attributes:
    Str 10+ (no evidence)
    Dex 10+ (no evidence)
    Con 10+ (no clear evidence, though likely high)
    Int 10+ (not stupid, but no demonstration of high Int)
    Wis 12+ (has a good will save, otherwise unknown)
    Cha 12+ (Laying On Hands heals wounds)
    Feats (4+): Unknown.
    Skills (28+): Ride, Handle Animal (not demonstrated, but likely).
    Abilities: Aura of good, detect evil, divine grace, lay on hands, aura of courage, divine health, turn undead, special mount (Dire Wolf "Argent"), remove disease, smite evil , spells (?).
    Items: Cold-iron katana, silver katana, magic boots, cloak and armor.

    O-Chul
    Lawful Good, Human Male, Fighter/Paladin. Level unknown, but likely 140+ hit points. Was lower level than Hinjo prior to captivity.
    Attributes:
    Str ~10 (no evidence)
    Dex ~10 (no evidence)
    Con ~23-27 (Has a Con in the mid-20's)
    Int ~10 (no evidence)
    Wis ~10 (no evidence)
    Cha ~10 (He admits that Cha is his dump stat)
    Feats (4+): Unknown.
    Skills (39+): Bluff 0, Swim,
    Abilities: Aura of good, detect evil, divine grace, lay on hands, aura of courage, divine health, turn undead, special mount (?), remove disease, smite evil, spells (?).
    Items: None

    Lien
    Lawful Good, Human Female, Paladin 6+ (has a large shark mount); lower level than Hinjo
    Attributes:
    Str 13+ (Prequisite for cleave)
    Dex 10+ (no evidence)
    Con 10+ (no evidence)
    Int 10+ (no evidence)
    Wis 10+ (no evidence)
    Cha 12+ (Laying On Hands heals wounds)
    Feats (4+): Weapon Focus (Longspear), Power Attack, Cleave
    Skills (27+): Ride, Handle Animal (not demonstrated, but likely).
    Abilities: Aura of good, detect evil, divine grace, lay on hands, aura of courage, divine health, turn undead, special mount (Large Shark "Razor"), smite evil , spells (?).
    Items: Longspear, magic boots, cloak and armor.

    Other Characters
    Celia
    Female Sylph, 6+ HD (can cast Lightning Bolt)
    Cha 13+
    Abilities: Casts sorcerer spells as a caster of a level equal to her HD, can detect magic auras
    Spells known: Alter Self, Lightning Bolt

    Julia Greenhilt
    True Neutral Human Female, Wizard 3
    Str ~10 (No evidence)
    Dex ~10 (No evidence)
    Con ~10 (No evidence)
    Int 15+ (Minimum to cast sending from a scroll)
    Wis ~10 (No evidence)
    Cha ~10 (No evidence)
    Feats (3): Scribe Scroll
    Skills (24+): Unknown
    Spells known: Magic Missile

    Samantha (Deceased)
    Spoiler
    Show

    Evil, Human Female, Sorcerer 12+ (Can cast at least 3 level 6 spells per day)
    Str ~10 (No evidence)
    Dex ~10 (No evidence)
    Con ~10 (No evidence)
    Int ~10 (No evidence)
    Wis ~10 (No evidence)
    Cha 20-21 (Sorcerer with high save DCs)
    Feats (5): Maximize Spell, possibly Spell Focus (Evocation) and Greater Spell Focus (Evocation) (her level 3 save DCs are "too high" for Haley); not Still Spell or Silent Spell.
    Skills (42+): Unknown
    Spells known: Chain Lightning, Fireball, Fly, Hold Person, Lightning Bolt, Magic Missle, Protection From Arrows
    Last edited by RMS Oceanic; 2009-10-02 at 06:52 AM.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper


    Pixar Fanboy of the Hinjo Fanclub

    Quote Originally Posted by Hallavast View Post
    Ya know? I think I'd about kill Rowling if she wasn't holding me hostage with that last book of hers...

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Kurald Galain's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007

    Default Re: Class and Level Geekery V (some [spoilers])

    Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    Since Chrismith hasn't posted since December, I'll volunteer to take on the other characters.
    That's nice. I was considering doing the same, but then I really don't have time for that at the moment, so I'm glad you ninja'ed me.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

    "I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    RMS Oceanic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Class and Level Geekery V (some [spoilers])

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    That's nice. I was considering doing the same, but then I really don't have time for that at the moment, so I'm glad you ninja'ed me.
    Glad to rescue you from being dragged deeper into the internet.

    I think I may have missed some of Xykon's spells, so if you spot anything, let me know.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper


    Pixar Fanboy of the Hinjo Fanclub

    Quote Originally Posted by Hallavast View Post
    Ya know? I think I'd about kill Rowling if she wasn't holding me hostage with that last book of hers...

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2009

    Default Re: Class and Level Geekery V (some [spoilers])

    Gah, I was going to do that - I'd worked out a new format and everything. I was also going to improve the coverage of Sabine: there's no way those ~10s are valid, not with 2/2/2/6/4/16 racial bonuses. 5 feats is suspect, with 6RHD and no technical evidence given for more than one class level. Even assuming ECL15 as Haley's personal rival, that's only 9 character levels / 3 feats.

    Here's my format test for Redcloak again
    Spoiler
    Show
    Redcloak, Lawful Evil Goblin Male Cleric 15+ 457
    Abilities: Str ~8, Dex ~12, Con ~10, Int ~10, Wis 20+, Cha 12+
    - Wis: Save DC of 22+ on a 7th-level spell 456
    - Cha: Multiple rebuke uses. 459 461 462
    Feats (5+): Extend Spell 451, Craft Wondrous Item (helped Xykon create his phylacterySOD)
    Skills (36+): DiplomacySOD. +4 racial bonus on Move Silently and Ride.
    Special Abilities: Rebuke Undead, Destruction/Law domainsSOD, Darkvision to 60 ft.
    Items: Unholy symbol / Xykon's Phylactery, Crimson Mantle, spyglass 423


    I can redo everyone's in this format over the next week or so, but I don't want the effort to be wasted so I'd like to know if the people maintaining the stat blocks are going to use it. Anyone have any thoughts on it in general?

    ----

    I wonder... could http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0528.html be interpreted as meaning that Haley now has the Conductivity [Spelltouched] feat? Since I'm pretty sure that's not in the spell description.
    Last edited by Random832; 2009-09-23 at 10:58 AM.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    ElfPirate

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: Class and Level Geekery V (some [spoilers])

    Since V does not include Haley in the people without Charisma wouldnt it be safe to assume she has at least 12?


    I guess the thread isn't about assuming though, so never mind.
    Last edited by rainbowjo; 2009-09-23 at 11:15 AM.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Kurald Galain's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007

    Default Re: Class and Level Geekery V (some [spoilers])

    Quote Originally Posted by Random832 View Post
    I'd worked out a new format and everything.
    Actually I must say your new format looks much clearer.

    Quote Originally Posted by rainbowjo View Post
    Since V does not include Haley in the people without Charisma wouldnt it be safe to assume she has at least 12?
    Since V says so, it's not an assumption. Yes, V says that himself, Belkar and Durkon don't have any charisma, meaning a zero or negative modifier, and this means that Roy, Elan and Haley do have a positive mod.

    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0312.html
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

    "I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    GnomePirate

    Join Date
    Jun 2007

    Default Re: Class and Level Geekery V (some [spoilers])

    All he says is that all the members of the party with Charisma are elsewhere. That would still be true if only Roy and Elan had appreciable CHA; all it proves is that Durkon, V and Belkar don't have much of it.
    Last edited by Shale; 2009-09-23 at 11:34 AM.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Kurald Galain's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007

    Default Re: Class and Level Geekery V (some [spoilers])

    Quote Originally Posted by Shale View Post
    All he says is that all the members of the party with Charisma are elsewhere. That would still be true if only Roy and Elan had appreciable CHA; all it proves is that Durkon, V and Belkar don't have much of it.
    Except that a pedant like V would have used the word "both" rather than "all" if only two members had any charisma.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

    "I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    RMS Oceanic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Class and Level Geekery V (some [spoilers])

    Quote Originally Posted by Random832 View Post
    Gah, I was going to do that - I'd worked out a new format and everything. I was also going to improve the coverage of Sabine: there's no way those ~10s are valid, not with 2/2/2/6/4/16 racial bonuses. 5 feats is suspect, with 6RHD and no technical evidence given for more than one class level. Even assuming ECL15 as Haley's personal rival, that's only 9 character levels / 3 feats.

    Here's my format test for Redcloak again
    Spoiler
    Show
    Redcloak, Lawful Evil Goblin Male Cleric 15+ 457
    Abilities: Str ~8, Dex ~12, Con ~10, Int ~10, Wis 20+, Cha 12+
    - Wis: Save DC of 22+ on a 7th-level spell 456
    - Cha: Multiple rebuke uses. 459 461 462
    Feats (5+): Extend Spell 451, Craft Wondrous Item (helped Xykon create his phylacterySOD)
    Skills (36+): DiplomacySOD. +4 racial bonus on Move Silently and Ride.
    Special Abilities: Rebuke Undead, Destruction/Law domainsSOD, Darkvision to 60 ft.
    Items: Unholy symbol / Xykon's Phylactery, Crimson Mantle, spyglass 423


    I can redo everyone's in this format over the next week or so, but I don't want the effort to be wasted so I'd like to know if the people maintaining the stat blocks are going to use it. Anyone have any thoughts on it in general?

    ----

    I wonder... could http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0528.html be interpreted as meaning that Haley now has the Conductivity [Spelltouched] feat? Since I'm pretty sure that's not in the spell description.
    I do like that format very much. If you would redo at least the other characters in that format I'd be glad to use it, accompanied with credit of course.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper


    Pixar Fanboy of the Hinjo Fanclub

    Quote Originally Posted by Hallavast View Post
    Ya know? I think I'd about kill Rowling if she wasn't holding me hostage with that last book of hers...

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2008

    Default Re: Class and Level Geekery V (some [spoilers])

    There's some code ([/sup]) in Roy's Strength field. Same thing for Redcloak under items. The link for Xykon's level needs to be updated.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    RMS Oceanic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Class and Level Geekery V (some [spoilers])

    I've updated Xykon's level link, corrected Redcloak's items and updated Sabine's stats.

    I'm also going to make the assumption that the Linear Guild were stripped of everything when they were imprisoned, and now have nothing left except what they acquired in their escape.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper


    Pixar Fanboy of the Hinjo Fanclub

    Quote Originally Posted by Hallavast View Post
    Ya know? I think I'd about kill Rowling if she wasn't holding me hostage with that last book of hers...

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2004

    Default Re: Class and Level Geekery V (some [spoilers])

    O-Chul's entry still lists him as a POW. Though he doesn't appear to have acquired any new possessions beyond an outfit of (apparently) ordinary clothing, he's not a POW anymore, at least.

    Oh, and should the list of Xykon's spells be added to Roy's possessions?

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Kurald Galain's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007

    Default Re: Class and Level Geekery V (some [spoilers])

    Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    Spells, Magic Items and Other Quandries

    In this section we attempt to flesh out homebrew features that have featured in Order of the Stick.
    I disagree that homebrew belongs in the geekery thread.

    Everything else in this thread is based upon factual statements from the comic, and upon RAW. On the other hand, we have no idea how exactly e.g. Cloister and Familicide are worded mechanically, and homebrew by definition isn't RAW. There's too many assumptions in those spell descriptions.
    Last edited by Kurald Galain; 2009-09-23 at 12:38 PM.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

    "I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Wrecan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    New York

    Default Re: Class and Level Geekery V (some [spoilers])

    Quote Originally Posted by kenb215 View Post
    There's some code ([/sup]) in Roy's Strength field.
    It's Fixed!
    Here is a numbering of all character appearances in OOTS

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    RMS Oceanic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Class and Level Geekery V (some [spoilers])

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    I disagree that homebrew belongs in the geekery thread.

    Everything else in this thread is based upon factual statements from the comic, and upon RAW. On the other hand, we have no idea how exactly e.g. Cloister and Familicide are worded mechanically, and homebrew by definition isn't RAW. There's too many assumptions in those spell descriptions.
    Yeah, I guess you're right, so I've scrubbed it.

    Hey Wrecan, wasn't there supposed to be an entry on Blackwing somewhere?
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper


    Pixar Fanboy of the Hinjo Fanclub

    Quote Originally Posted by Hallavast View Post
    Ya know? I think I'd about kill Rowling if she wasn't holding me hostage with that last book of hers...

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Olorin Maia's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    New York
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Class and Level Geekery V (some [spoilers])

    Hey RMS Oceanic, could you change the format of Tsukiko's bio? For the no evidence stats you use +, where everywhere else you use ~. Thanks, just bothering me.
    Thanks to this wonderful link on how to make an avatar.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2009

    Default Re: Class and Level Geekery V (some [spoilers])

    call me an idiot but im missing how belkar has 3+ magic daggers

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Godskook's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008

    Default Re: Class and Level Geekery V (some [spoilers])

    Quote Originally Posted by Lvl45DM! View Post
    call me an idiot but im missing how belkar has 3+ magic daggers
    He throws them, and yet still has some for fighting? I've personally never counted his daggers in said strips, but I'm guessing that's where the figure comes from.
    Avatar by Assassin89
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2009

    Default Re: Class and Level Geekery V (some [spoilers])

    He throws them in 4th last panel while hes sexually assaulting...i mean kissing the bard chick
    he picks them up 3rd last panel we see him reaching for them!!
    and then next strip he throws one dagger then fights with dagger/moonshine combo and dagger/shortsword combo...till he picks his dagger up again!!!
    2 magic daggers

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Kurald Galain's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007

    Default Re: Class and Level Geekery V (some [spoilers])

    Just for a bit of geekery -

    Can we infer Redcloak's strength from the fact that he can drag, but not carry, a mostly-naked O-Chul? http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0543.html

    Also regarding Redcloak, he possesses a number of D&D rulebooks (as shown when he animates the Huecuva), speaks Goblin, has ranks in Knowledge (Chemistry) since anything that's not "common knowledge" requires you to be trained, and we know from SOD that he doesn't age (as an effect from wearing the Mantle). Finally, "Craft Wonderous Item" is misspelled. Oh yeah, and we know from SOD that Redcloak isn't his real name.

    Xykon - it may be "likely" that his int and wis started at 8 or 9 (in fact I would assume both lower), but I don't believe there's been any proof of that, so perhaps it would be better to list both as "~10 (no evidence)", with the +5 for age etc. Xykon also possesses Serini's diary, and he is totally going to blast you for listing some goblin higher in Team Evil than him

    Tsukiko is "assumed not to be a sorcerer", but didn't we know for sure by now that she was a wizard? Also, she mentions that if this were 1st edition, she'd turn Thanh, which means that she's a cleric (and not just "assumedly"). She also possesses an (un)holy symbol, since e.g. Flame Strike requires one. Finally, we can't assume that she has an Int 15, because it's possible that she has the Travel domain and casts teleport from there.
    Last edited by Kurald Galain; 2009-09-24 at 11:03 AM.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

    "I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Morty's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Poland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Class and Level Geekery V (some [spoilers])

    This strip implies that Tsukiko is a wizard, as a sorcerer would have a harder time using spells she "looked up", unless she gained a level since her last battle with Haley.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Gulaghar and Ashen Lilies.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Mc. Lovin''s Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Somerset, England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Class and Level Geekery V (some [spoilers])

    Quote Originally Posted by Lvl45DM! View Post
    call me an idiot but im missing how belkar has 3+ magic daggers
    There was once an art error which had him pictured with 3 daggers in the same panel

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    RMS Oceanic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Class and Level Geekery V (some [spoilers])

    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    This strip implies that Tsukiko is a wizard, as a sorcerer would have a harder time using spells she "looked up", unless she gained a level since her last battle with Haley.
    Tsukiko has already been confirmed as a Wizard by her use of the Quicken Spell feat, which Sorcerors cannot avail of in core.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper


    Pixar Fanboy of the Hinjo Fanclub

    Quote Originally Posted by Hallavast View Post
    Ya know? I think I'd about kill Rowling if she wasn't holding me hostage with that last book of hers...

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Kurald Galain's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007

    Default Re: Class and Level Geekery V (some [spoilers])

    And some more geekery...

    For Thog, his intelligence is listed as 8. However, 8 is the average intelligence for a half-orc, so would be its value for "no evidence plus racials". Since a dump stat must be below average or it wouldn't be a dump, we know that his int is less than 8.

    Why is Thog assumed to be level 12? On the one hand, I would assume his level to equal that of the Order of the Stick. On the other hand, we've had no evidence of the levels of the Linear Guild. I find it strange that Thog's level is stated as 12, Sabine's as 1+, and Nale's as 8+. In related issue, if Sabine's level is 1+, how come she has 5 feats? If Nale's level is 8+, how come he has 8 feats? And shouldn't Nale, like Thog, have a fighter bonus feat? Finally, how do we know Sabine's strength is exactly 18, instead of at least 18?

    Since Sabine is a rogue, she has the ability Sneak Attackand Trapfinding.

    For Hinjo, I'm not sure why his Con and Int scores offer speculation that he "likely" has a high con and is "not stupid". We have proof for neither. Furthermore, we don't actually know that Hinjo has "a good will save" (which is offered as "proof" for his wisdom score) - first, he could have rolled well; and second, he also adds his charisma to his will save anyway. So we don't really know anything about Hinjo's Con, Int and Wis. We also don't know that he has Handle Animal, which is "not demonstrated but likely". I mean, Hinjo also likely has diplomacy skill, a prestige class, and an armor +2, but none of that is demonstrated either.

    For O-Chul, the standard paladin abilities are listed. However, we don't know if he has more than one paladin level - he could e.g. be a fighter 10 / paladin 1. We haven't seen him use e.g. divine grace, so it's not a given that he can do that. Also, the same thing as for Thog applies to O-Chul: if charisma is his dump stat, it must be less than average, thus less than 10.

    For Lien, as with Hinjo, her "not demonstrated but likely" handle animal skill is not evidenced in the comic.
    Last edited by Kurald Galain; 2009-09-25 at 06:41 AM.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

    "I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    NinjaGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Howdy Pardner
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Class and Level Geekery V (some [spoilers])

    Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    Tsukiko has already been confirmed as a Wizard by her use of the Quicken Spell feat, which Sorcerors cannot avail of in core.
    I was under the impression she's a Mystic Theurge

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2009

    Default Re: Class and Level Geekery V (some [spoilers])

    Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    Tsukiko has already been confirmed as a Wizard by her use of the Quicken Spell feat, which Sorcerors cannot avail of in core.
    Also, the line "I go to bed with more spells prepared than you start the day with" strongly implies both sides are non-spontaneous casters. And Mind Fog is an arcane spell.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jagos View Post
    I was under the impression she's a Mystic Theurge
    Well, yeah, the question is what her base classes are.
    Last edited by Random832; 2009-09-25 at 07:41 AM.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    RMS Oceanic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Class and Level Geekery V (some [spoilers])

    Quote Originally Posted by Jagos View Post
    I was under the impression she's a Mystic Theurge
    Yes, but she quickens some of her Orb spells. Orb spells are Wiz/Sor spells, so she can't be casting them from her Cleric slots. Since she can quicken them in the first place, something Sorcerers can't do in a beneficial manner.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper


    Pixar Fanboy of the Hinjo Fanclub

    Quote Originally Posted by Hallavast View Post
    Ya know? I think I'd about kill Rowling if she wasn't holding me hostage with that last book of hers...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •