Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [3.5] The Retooled Monk

Alright ladies and gents (and children and demihumans and outsiders)...

Following the recent and rising trend of people who are attempting to find solutions to the monk through homebrewing (to dispel that unnerving feeling of "just play unarmed swordsage"), I decided to swim in direction of the flow and try my chance at it. I saw most of the stuff around, and I didn't felt most of them struck the cord, or rather were too different that they disrupted the further set of feats and prestige classes that are meant to be inclusions to the Monk (with some exceptions that I feel are very good alternatives, which I'll mention soon enough). I might probably fall into the same path, but at least I'll minimize that impact by working roughly at the parameters and not making much changes to the classes.

While I go, I'll explain the thoughts that made me keep or replace each of the monk's capabilities, as well as from where I stole the stuff took the inspiration from. That should give you an idea of why I made the change or added the concept. As a general idea, I went with the ki pool concept first introduced with the Ninja class from Complete Adventurer, and later adapted by the Monk version of Pathfinder. You'll probably notice I drew a bit from it, but I find it a very reasonable choice; you're free to argue if that's fair or unfair.

MONK

By Lucio Parrillo. First appeared in Dragon Magic.

"I cannot say how it ends, and I shall spare you how it began. Nor I shall speak of my travel itself. What I can say, is where it will lead." - Ember of the Thousand Steps, wandering Grand Master of the Lotus of Eternal Rivers, to a passersby seeking enlightenment.

MAKING A MONK (or, how it has - or hasn't - changed)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Abilities: The Monk's favorite stat is Wisdom. They use Wisdom for everything: attacking, defending, holding, walking, leaping, flying, going ethereal...everything. Other favored ability scores are Dexterity because of the bonus to Reflex, AC and Initiative, and Constitution because of the bonus to hit points, Fortitude and Concentration checks. Strength is less needed now, but it still retains its utility.
    Races: Humans have no penalties to ability scores and a bonus feat, which can help the Monk a lot. Half-Orcs can make great Strength-based Monks (although they may still favor Wisdom), and Dwarves are good because of their bonus to Constitution and their penalty to a score that's not needed (Charisma). Outside of core, despite their LA any Wis-based race such as Buomman, Githzerai and Aasimar are good picks for Monk.
    Alignment: As base Monk; any lawful. Consider it a bit of tradition I'm still unable to drag upon.
    Starting Gold: as base Monk
    Starting Age: as base Monk

Class Skills
    The Class Name's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).
    Skills Per Day at 1st Level : (4 + Int) x 4
    Skills Per Day at Each Additional Level : 4 + Int

Spoiler
    Show
    Unlike the base monk, this revision added Intimidate to the list, as it's pretty odd that someone that should be capable of shattering a fist with its own hands isn't particularly intimidating enough. The amount of skill points may change, as there's a slight increase in skill dependency. So far, consider that Jump and Balance are very important skills to raise.

Hit Dice: d8

Table: The Monk
    {table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|
    Slow Fall distance
    |
    Unarmed Damage
    |
    AC Bonus
    |
    Speed Bonus

1st|+1|
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Bonus feat, Unarmed strike, Ki power|
    0 ft.
    |
    1d6
    |
    +0
    |
    +0 ft.

2nd|+2|
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Evasion, Wholeness of body|
    0 ft.
    |
    1d6
    |
    +0
    |
    +0 ft.

3rd|+3|
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Fleeting step, Touching the ripples (blindsense 30 ft.)|
    0 ft.
    |
    1d6
    |
    +0
    |
    +10 ft.

4th|+4|
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |Art of the deadly wind, ki strike (magic), slow fall|
    20 ft.
    |
    1d8
    |
    +1
    |
    +10 ft.

5th|+5|
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |Purity of body, Unburdened path (1/round)|
    20 ft.
    |
    1d8
    |
    +1
    |
    +10 ft.

6th|+6/+1|
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |Bonus feat, Still mind|
    40 ft.
    |
    1d8
    |
    +1
    |
    +20 ft.

7th|+7/+2|
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |Path of the conqueror|
    40 ft.
    |
    1d8
    |
    +1
    |
    +20 ft.

8th|+8/+3|
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |Deadly weapons, ki strike (lawful), walk the clouds|
    40 ft.
    |
    1d10
    |
    +2
    |
    +20 ft.

9th|+9/+4|
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |Improved evasion, resilient body|
    60 ft.
    |
    1d10
    |
    +2
    |
    +30 ft.

10th|+10/+5|
    +7
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |Flurry of blows, path of the spiritual chains|
    60 ft.
    |
    1d10
    |
    +2
    |
    +30 ft.

11th|+11/+6/+1|
    +7
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |Bonus feat, Diamond body|
    60 ft.
    |
    1d10
    |
    +2
    |
    +30 ft.

12th|+12/+7/+2|
    +8
    |
    +8
    |
    +8
    |Abundant step, ki strike (adamantine)|
    80 ft.
    |
    2d6
    |
    +3
    |
    +40 ft.

13th|+13/+8/+3|
    +8
    |
    +8
    |
    +8
    |Art of the deadly gale, diamond soul|
    80 ft.
    |
    2d6
    |
    +3
    |
    +40 ft.

14th|+14/+9/+4|
    +9
    |
    +9
    |
    +9
    |Unburdened path (1/2 class level)|
    80 ft.
    |
    2d6
    |
    +3
    |
    +40 ft.

15th|+15/+10/+5|
    +9
    |
    +9
    |
    +9
    |Path of denial|
    100 ft.
    |
    2d6
    |
    +4
    |
    +50 ft.

16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|
    +10
    |
    +10
    |
    +10
    |Bonus feat, Touching the ripples (blindsight 30 ft.)|
    100 ft.
    |
    2d8
    |
    +4
    |
    +50 ft.

17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|
    +10
    |
    +10
    |
    +10
    |Timeless body|
    100 ft.
    |
    2d8
    |
    +4
    |
    +50 ft.

18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|
    +11
    |
    +11
    |
    +11
    |Diamond mind|
    any
    |
    2d8
    |
    +5
    |
    +60 ft.

19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|
    +11
    |
    +11
    |
    +11
    |Empty body|
    any
    |
    2d8
    |
    +5
    |
    +60 ft.

20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|
    +12
    |
    +12
    |
    +12
    |Perfect self, mastery of ki|
    any
    |
    2d10
    |
    +6
    |
    +60 ft.
    [/table]

Spoiler
    Show
    The table has a bunch of changes. I'll explain on the way most of them, but there's two I must discuss now: the hit die size and the base attack bonus.

The hit die size is roughly decent for the monk, as it's not the kind of HP a tank would have, but neither the kind of HP a rogue would have; it's roughly in-between. You'll see later why that may seem odd, but so far, it seems pretty decent.

Base attack bonus, however, is one of the things that needed a change. Look for any thread that says "what's with Monks?", and the first thing suggested is usually "they have little BAB". And that's true; they're meant to be melee combatants, not exactly burst damage dealers (such as Rogues), so they need to hit with precision. Most important, it settles part of an issue I expect to handle; the trouble of grappling. There's several "patches" scattered around that deal with the grappling problem, but this is the first; the higher the BAB, the higher the grapple modifier.

Class Features
    All of the following are class features of the monk.
    Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Monks are proficient with all simple weapons plus the kama, kukri, nunchaku, sai, shortsword, shuriken, siangham and spiked chain. Monks are not proficient with any armor or shields.
    When wearing armor, using a shield, or carrying a heavy load, a monk loses her AC bonus, as well as her fast movement, slow fall, and all her ki abilities.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ah, the weapon and armor proficiencies. You'll notice I rose the encumbrance limit to heavy load; this is an idea I know I found somewhere. It's either Pathfinder, the Penny Dreadfuls, or Fax's fix. Whomever did it, I find it's pretty considerate since this reduces dependence on decent Strength ever so slightly. I've found myself having to measure the wealth and weight of my (few) Monk characters because they're weakened by this aspect. Monks shouldn't carry a heavy load, but they can more than enough hold a medium.

Also, NO ARMOR PROFICIENCY. I'll attempt to explain later, but I don't find that the Monk has to draw that from its brother the Unarmed Swordsage.

UPDATE: After revising my notes, I realized I had given the Monk proficiency with all simple weapons. Let's fix that boo-boo, alright?

AC Bonus (Ex): When unarmored and unencumbered, the monk adds her Wisdom bonus (if any) to her AC. In addition, a monk gains a +1 bonus to AC at certain intervals, as shown on Table: The Monk. The bonuses are not cumulative.

These bonuses to AC apply even against touch attacks or when the monk is flat-footed. She loses these bonuses when she is immobilized or helpless, when she wears any armor, when she carries a shield, or when she carries a heavy load.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll have to resume this because it's pretty big. So; here it goes: AC bonus to Wisdom stays with no armor. Reasons are varied, but essentially, you're fighting with the equivalent of a chain shirt with unlimited Dex, which increases in "enhancement bonus" as you grow on levels. So there's no need for light armor or something in that regard. Also, found a better way to deal with armor special properties, so flavor can overcome crunch this time.

Still, if there are undefeatable arguments to giving Monks at least light armor proficiency, I'll listen and deliberate on the matter.

Unarmed Strike: At 1st level, a monk gains Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat. As well, a monk’s unarmed strikes may use her Strength or Wisdom modifier for her attack and damage rolls, whichever is the highest.

A monk’s attacks may be with either fist interchangeably or even from elbows, knees, and feet. This means that a monk may even make unarmed strikes with her hands full. Exception: a monk may not use unarmed strikes if she holds a weapon in each hand (or a double weapon) if she is using the Two-Weapon Fighting feat. She may, however, use unarmed strikes with the Two-Weapon Fighting feat if she holds only one weapon or none (in the case of none, treat each unarmed strike as a separate weapon for purposes of qualifying). There is no such thing as an off-hand damage penalty for a monk striking unarmed, she may thus apply her full Strength (or Wisdom) bonus on damage rolls for all her unarmed strikes.

Usually a monk’s unarmed strikes deal lethal damage, but she can choose to deal nonlethal damage instead with no penalty on her attack roll. She has the same choice to deal lethal or nonlethal damage while grappling.
    A monk’s unarmed strike is treated both as a manufactured weapon and a natural weapon for the purpose of spells and effects that enhance or improve either manufactured weapons or natural weapons.

A monk also deals more damage with her unarmed strikes than a normal person would, as shown on Table: The Monk. The unarmed damage on Table: The Monk is for Medium monks. A Small monk deals less damage than the amount given there with her unarmed attacks, while a Large monk deals more damage; see Table: Small or Large Monk Unarmed Damage.

Table: Small or Large Monk Unarmed Damage
    {table=head]Level|Damage (Small Monk)|Damage (Large Monk)
    1st–3rd|1d4|1d8
    4th–7th|1d6|2d6
    8th–11th|1d8|2d8
    12th–15th|1d10|3d6
    16th–19th|2d6|3d8
    20th|2d8|4d8[/table]

Spoiler
    Show
    Another resuming for Unarmed Strikes. Basically, you can add your Wisdom to attack and damage rolls but keep the ability to apply Str if that is somehow higher, and you can use TWF (and only TWF) with Unarmed Strikes. Aside from that, as normal Monk (except that the increased damage will also apply to other weapons; hence the resuming).

Ki Power (Su): A monk can channel her ki to enhance her mobility, defense, and special attacks through a variety of powers. She can use her ki powers a number of times per day equal to half her class level plus her Wisdom bonus (if any). Ki powers can only be used if the monk is wearing no armor or shield and carries no more than a heavy load. As long as a monk’s ki pool isn’t empty, she may use all of her supernatural abilities (except Ki Strike, Resilient Body and Diamond Soul which are always active). A monk’s ki powers are described under separate entries below.

Spoiler
    Show
    This is the core concept of the Monk now. Flurry of blows has ceded its space for this. Going nova with your ki pool is not recommended at all, since it makes you pretty much suck (as it doesn't suck now...) For relief of you people, I decided that some of those abilities are exempt from the prohibition: the legacy abilities Slow Fall, Ki Strike and Diamond Soul.

Bonus Feat: At 1st level and every 5 levels, a monk gains a bonus feat. The monk may choose from the list of fighter bonus feats. A monk is considered as a fighter of her class level -2 for feats that have a fighter level prerequisite.

Spoiler
    Show
    UPDATE: The monk's effective fighter level for feats is equal to her class level -2. Also, most of the fixes I had promised are now posted below.

Evasion (Ex): At 2nd level or higher if a monk makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if a monk is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless monk does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Spoiler
    Show
    No change with Evasion. Why spoil one of the best qualities of a Monk, anyways?

Wholeness of Body (Su): At 2nd level or higher, a monk can heal her own wounds with nothing but a thought. As a swift action, the monk can heal a number of hit points of damage equal to her current class level times her Wisdom modifier; she may choose to spend all points or spread them during the encounter, but she replenishes her pool of healing at the beginning of a new combat encounter. She also gains a +5 bonus to AC and all saving throws until the beginning of her next turn, but only once per encounter (the monk may choose when to activate this ability). This ability acts like the paladin’s lay on hands for the purpose of items and spells that affect it.

By expending a daily use of her ki power as part of the same action used to activate this ability, she gains her bonus to AC and saves from this ability even if she has activated her bonus during the encounter (this is an exception to the rule mentioned above).

Spoiler
    Show
    UPDATE: Give thanks to Seerow, and the development of Project Heretica for this one.

The P-Heretica Paladin's Lay on Hands works now as a burst heal, so it makes sense that Wholeness of Body worked in a similar way. The big bonus is that it also provides a bonus to AC and saves, because it temporarily increases your resilience. You can choose to completely expend your pool of healing or spread it around multiple uses, relying on your ki to gain the bonus. This is so that feats like Hands of a Healer and items like Caduceus Bracers work as intended, but also make it close to a burst heal.

Fast Movevent (Ex): At 3rd level, a monk gains an enhancement bonus to her speed, as shown on Table: The Monk. A monk in armor or carrying a heavy load loses this extra speed.

Spoiler
    Show
    Fast Movement remains the same, but there's some advantages from having a higher speed. Some of the abilities below depend on your base land speed, and having such a boost to speed is never bad.

Fleeting Step (Su): At 3rd level, a monk may expend one daily use of her ki power as a swift action to move up to her land speed.

Spoiler
    Show
    This seems like an odd ability. Perhaps too odd. You don't have any reasons to move at your speed by that level, I presume you ask (or perhaps think). This is a preparation, given that the idea is to make better use of the mobility and full attacks of the monk. You can make a triple move, which is almost like running, or you can expend that while running. It gets better, though.

Touching the Ripples (Su): At 3rd level, a monk gains a supernatural awareness that allows it to feel the emotions of her opponents, sensing their presence even at the loss of sight. The monk gains blindsense to a distance of 30 feet, which can be activated or deactivated as a free action (by closing her eyes). If the monk already has blindsense (by means of a racial ability, for example), the range of her blindsense increases by an extra 30 feet. By spending a daily use of her ki power, she may instead gain blindsight, but limited to 30 feet (regardless of whether she originally has blindsense or not), for a number of rounds equal to half her class level. Both her blindsense and blindsight are not impaired by entering a zone of silence, or by being deafened, unless the monk already has a form of blindsense (and even then, it only applies to the extended blindsense).

At 16th level, a monk gains permanent blindsight to a distance of 30 feet, and her blindsense extends to a distance of 60 feet. If she already has blindsight (by means of a racial ability, for example), her blindsight instead increases by an extra 30 feet. If she had blindsense by any means other than this class ability (such as a racial ability, her range doubles instead. If she expends a daily use of her ki power, her blindsight extends an extra 30 feet (this replaces the original ability)

Spoiler
    Show
    Resuming for shortness: blindsense is cool and useful against invisible, ethereal and illusion-protected creatures, then they get blindsight so they can hit well despite not seeing the enemy. It's cool, it's thematic, and it's actually useful (even if a bit late), and it's a permanent class ability.

Consider that you're also technically partially immune to blind at 3rd level, and almost fully immune at 16th level. That's a really worthwhile immunity.

Art of the Deadly Wind (Ex): At 4th level, the monk’s expertise with martial arts improves. When she uses seemingly weak ranged attacks, her strikes are much more lethal and reach a greater distance than usual.

When the monk uses a dart, a sling, or a shuriken, the monk deals damage with the weapon as if she was using an unarmed strike, but of a monk of her level -3 (thus, she deals 1d6 points of damage if Medium). She may use her Dexterity or her Wisdom modifier for her attack rolls with these weapons, and she may use either her Strength or her Wisdom modifier to the damage roll (even if the weapon does not normally allow it). As well, her range increment is equal to 50 ft. if it doesn’t have that range increment already; at every 4 levels after the 4th, the range increment of the weapon increases by 20 ft. Finally, she is treated as if having the Quick Draw feat for purposes of making extra attacks with these weapons.

If the campaign has the following available, the monk may provide the benefits of this ability to the following weapons: blowgun, greater blowgun.

Spoiler
    Show
    Alright, simple and concise: ranged potential for Monks sucks. Badly. At the first few levels, this may not be the case, but as the campaign progresses, the Monk will find flying creatures and creatures outside its range, and the Monk will not have enough to face them. Flying? Sure, but how about doing something a bit different?

You'll notice that, while the Monk can now use crossbows, I decided to go for the simplest weapons: darts, slings, shuriken. Why? Well, they're cheap, shuriken are already monk special weapons (and thus apply for Flurry of Blows), darts are almost pointless to use but a cool thing to have, and you can just enchant the sling and use pretty much any stone as a weapon. So, I decided to do the most sane thing to do: enhance their damage potential to scale with monk levels, and increase their range. Now, you can shoot a single shuriken at a range of 50 ft. and let it deal 1d8 points of damage plus your Wisdom modifier, which is basically what you can pull off with a composite longbow but at half the distance. At 20th level, you don't need composite longbows; you already deal far much more damage with your simple weapons anyways. What's the best part? Slings are costless, stones are found anywhere, and darts and shuriken are dirt cheap.

Ki Strike (Su): At 4th level, a monk’s unarmed attacks are empowered with ki. Her unarmed attacks are treated as magic weapons for the purpose of dealing damage to creatures with damage reduction. Ki strike improves with the character’s monk level. At 8th level, her unarmed attacks are also treated as lawful weapons for the purpose of dealing damage to creatures with damage reduction. At 12th level, her unarmed attacks are treated as adamantine weapons for the purpose of dealing damage to creatures with damage reduction and bypassing hardness).

Furthermore, starting from 4th level the monk’s unarmed attacks are more accurate and strong. A 4th level monk gains a +1 bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls when attacking with an unarmed strike; this bonus increases by 1 every four levels. Treat this bonus as an enhancement bonus for purposes of which abilities stack with it (thus, a 4th level monk wouldn’t benefit from magic weapon or magic fang, but it could take benefit from greater magic weapon or greater magic fang if it so desires).

By expending several daily uses of her ki power, a monk’s ki strike temporarily improves. At 4th level, the monk may spend one daily use to increase the bonus on attack and damage rolls from her unarmed strikes by 1 (but the bonus cannot exceed +5 until 20th level). At 8th level, the monk may spend two daily uses to grant her unarmed strikes gain the lawful weapon special ability, and at 12th level she may spend three daily use to grant her weapons ignore all kinds of damage reduction. These enhancements are cumulative (a monk need only spend two daily uses to gain the enhancement bonus and the lawful special ability, and three daily uses for all effects), and last for a period of rounds equal to half her class level. If the monk gains the lawful special quality or the ability to ignore all damage reduction as an enhancement, she need only spend one or two daily uses of ki and gain the remaining enhancements.

If a class progresses ki strike, levels in monk stack with levels in that class to determine the effective enhancement bonus with unarmed strikes, but not with the other provided abilities (such as bypassing DR or ki expenditures). A monk cannot extend her ki strike ability to her natural weapons (unarmed strikes are not considered as natural weapons for these purposes, nor slam attacks).

Spoiler
    Show
    More resuming! Basically, the same as the old ki strike, except you can expend ki to add enhancement bonuses to your unarmed strikes, the lawful special quality, and the ability to ignore damage reduction. This is nice, because one of the claims of monks was that they couldn't enhance their unarmed strikes which made them weaker. You still can't add some of the nifty weapons, but between making monk special weapons much more attractive (see below) and this ability, I think I hit the nail on that problem. With an unarmed strike dealing huge damage, of course.

UPDATE: I gave up and did what most people do: give Monks free enhancement bonuses to their unarmed strikes. No natural weapon freebies, though; slam attacks, on the other hand, are similar to unarmed strikes so they're fair play.

Slow Fall (Ex or Su): At 4th level or higher, a monk takes damage from any fall as if it were shorter. The amount of distance reduced by this ability is shown on Table: The Monk. As well, a monk may expend one daily use of her ki pool as an immediate action to gain the effect of a feather fall spell; this last ability is considered a supernatural ability.

Spoiler
    Show
    A wizard makes Slow Fall useless by 1st level. A Monk makes Feather Fall useless by 4th. You no longer need to stand on a wall to work that; you merely fall like a leaf.

UPDATE: Slow Fall is now Extraordinary, as it should always have been. Hence, you can pretty much ignore Feather Fall: it doesn't work on an AMF, mind you :P.

Purity of Body (Ex):At 5th level, a monk gains immunity to all poisons and diseases.

Spoiler
    Show
    If you're going to do it, do it right. Poisons, as most people suggest, are pretty useless; diseases are almost useless as well. However, at least you can resist Cloudkill if you see a character use it, and that's painful enough. That's two immunities and a half, thus far.

Unburdened Path (Su): At 5th level, a monk may spend one daily use of her ki power as a swift action to ignore any effects that hamper or impede movement, as if having a freedom of movement spell cast upon itself, until the next round. At 14th level, the effect lasts instead for a number of rounds equal to half her class level.

Spoiler
    Show
    No, it's not crazy. You get Freedom of Movement for one whole round. By that moment, you can escape from such stuff as Evard's Black Tentacles, Solid Fog, Acid Fog, Cloudkill, Web, Grease...well, pretty much anything. As well as grapples.

14th level makes it a bit more reasonable, since it lasts for several rounds. By the time you get it, it pretty much lasts for the entire battle. Or for a considerable amount of time. A ring still beats it, but the ring is quite expensive, mind you.

Still Mind (Su): A monk of 6th level or higher may expend a daily use of her ki power as an immediate action to become immune to spells and effects with the fear or mind-affecting descriptor until her next round.

Spoiler
    Show
    This is what I say Still Mind must have been. Not a mere +2 to Will saves (even if the Monk has insane Will saves), it means you begin to resist such things as domination, fear, charming, and whatnot. For one round, though.

Don't worry, later I provide with more benefits.

Path of the Conqueror (Ex): At 7th level, a monk’s knowledge of the martial arts greatly increases. She may apply her Wisdom modifier instead of the Strength modifier and add half her class level to the touch attack roll and opposed rolls (if any) when using the disarm, grapple, sunder or trip special attacks. A monk is also treated as one size larger for purposes of determining the size bonuses for these special attacks, but not for the penalties.

Spoiler
    Show
    Another shortening of my explanation (sorry if it hurts you people). Basically, this is meant to help the combat options you have, by using things that people already use in their games. You add your Wis or your Str to all of the maneuvers, and you're treated as one size higher (which nulls some weaknesses and grants some strengths). This is basically between 4-8 points to the opposed checks, which with the Monk's full BAB means you can do them reliably. You can now choose most feats without trouble since hte Monk is no longer so feat-starving, so you can use the class for becoming a super-grappler, a super-tripper, or even the odd disarmer or...sunderer (*shudder*).

Deadly Weapons (Ex): At 8th level, a monk can use certain weapons with such grace, that she can deliver far deadlier blows than others who pursue her arts.

When using a club, kama, nunchaku, quarterstaff, sai or siangham, the monk deals damage with the weapon as if she was using an unarmed strike, but of a monk of her level -3 (thus, she deals 1d8 points of damage if Medium). She may use her Strength or her Wisdom modifier for her attack rolls and damage rolls with the weapon. As well, she gains a special ability when using any of these weapons:

Club: a monk may use a club to deliver daily uses of her Stunning Fist feat (if she has it).
    Kama: upon a successful trip attempt, the monk may deal damage with the kama as if she had succeeded on a melee attack, but she only deals half the damage she would have usually dealt. This applies even if she has the Improved Trip feat.
    Nunchaku or Sai: when using a disarm attempt, the monk may decide to “lock” the weapon instead of merely disarming. She may make this special disarm attempt even when her enemy uses natural weapons, but it applies only to one such natural weapon (thus, if the enemy has two claws, she may apply this effect only to one of the claws). Until the creature attempts to move away from the monk, the creature may not use this weapon, nor the monk may use her nunchaku or sai (but she may still use her unarmed strikes if she so desires); if the creature wields a manufactured weapon and attempts to move away, the monk may force another disarm attempt to remove the weapon from the creature’s hands. If using a sai, she may choose to deal piercing damage instead of bludgeoning damage.
    Quarterstaff: the monk may use a quarterstaff as a reach weapon if she so desires. If she has the Two-Weapon Fighting feat, she may not fight with the quarterstaff as a double weapon and apply the reach; only one or the other. However, her damage with both ends of the weapon increases as indicated above.
    Siangham: the monk may use a feint attempt with a siangham. She may use her base attack bonus plus her Wisdom modifier or her Bluff check plus her Wisdom modifier for the feint, whichever is higher. She may use this special feint with the siangham as a swift action, and the loss of the creature’s Dexterity modifier to AC applies to all attacks she makes until the end of her turn (thus, she may apply this to a single attack, or to a full attack action).

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll try to make this short: I wanna give some love to Monk weapons. Why choose a kama or a nunchaku, since you'll deal so little damage? Well, now you can deal more damage and use your Wis for them.

What? Still not enough? I know; thus, I decided to grant a Monk-exclusive benefit for each special weapon. This should give options to the Monk users, since they can either go for unarmed strikes or use any of these weapons, although they'll still deal greater damage with the former. The latter will have some nice things, though, such as automatic damage or reach. The important thing is that you can enchant weapons to gain magic effects, something you can't do with unarmed strikes (unless you're using a Necklace of Natural Attacks or enchanting with ki or using Greater Magic Weapon/Fang), AND gain a special thing that other classes need to multiclass to obtain.

So...why not weapon styles? For one reason: weapon styles need a serious, conscious revamping. Also, I decided to be a little bit greedy in terms of what Monks can do; essentially, they get stuff no other class, not even Unarmed Swordsage, can get without entering the class (and the next steps are ??? and Profit!). You decide if they work better as Weapon Style feats, but take heed that Weapon Style feats are pretty complicated to pull off.

Walk the River and the Clouds (Ex or Su): At 8th level, a monk is capable of leaping and moving with such grace that she seems to move through the air. She adds her Wisdom modifier to all Balance, Climb, Jump, and Swim checks.

As well, the monk may walk in water or in air, as if having the benefits of both a water walk and an air walk spell. The monk must spend a move action concentrating to remain aloft; if she so desires, she may make a Balance check to remain afloat or aloft as a swift action if she still has a move action left. The skill check DC to succeed is 45 for liquids and 60 for air, and a failed check still allows her to use her remaining move action to remain aloft.

If she instead expends one daily use of her ki power, she does not need to retain concentration while moving over a liquid or through the air for 10 minutes per monk level. Removing the need for concentration by expending ki is a supernatural ability, and rounds spent on an antimagic field or dead magic zone count against the duration.

Spoiler
    Show
    UPDATE: I always thought this idea was cool, but somehow I found it was too complicated. I think that, after some time raising the bar, felt that the Monk deserved that little oomph! that it missed.

Now, this ability is a bit more awesome than before. You add your Wisdom modifier as a slight bonus to some key class skills (specially those with Strength as a key modifier), but you can also float in water AND in air. However, the key modification was making it an extraordinary ability. You still need to concentrate, but now you can pretty much walk on the air without fearing the Antimagic Field or the dead magic zone. After all, the worst you can imagine is somehow being aloft and suddenly falling.

Resilient Body (Su): At 9th level, a monk is capable of strengthening her mind to partially ignore the effect of the elements in her body, but at a very limited scale. She gains resistance 20 to a single element of her choice. She may change her elemental resistance by concentrating as a full-round action.

By expending a daily use of her ki power, her resistance improves to 30. At 20th level, her resistance to all elements improves by 20, and spending a daily use of ki instead grants immunity to a single element.

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't know why I didn't add this, since it was on my notes after a few revisions. Yes, Monks are now quite resistant to one type of energy which they can change, and they can improve that to 30 with a daily use of ki. At level 20, they gain resistance 20 to all elements and immunity to one by means of ki expenditure.

Improved Evasion (Ex): At 9th level, a monk’s evasion ability improves. She still takes no damage on a successful Reflex saving throw against attacks, but henceforth she takes only half damage on a failed save. A helpless monk does not gain the benefit of improved evasion.

Spoiler
    Show
    See Evasion above.

Flurry of Blows (Ex): When unarmored, a 10th level monk may strike with a flurry of blows at the expense of accuracy. When doing so, she may make one extra attack in a round at her highest base attack bonus, but this attack takes a -2 penalty, as does each other attack made that round. This penalty applies for 1 round, so it also affects attacks of opportunity the monk might make before her next action. A monk must use a full attack action to strike with a flurry of blows, and the extra attack cannot be replaced by a disarm, grapple, sunder or trip attempt. This extra attack is cumulative with other effects that add extra attacks, such as the Two-Weapon Fighting feat, the haste spell or the speed enhancement (overriding the normal restrictions for these effects when applying to this ability).

When using flurry of blows, a monk may attack only with unarmed strikes or with special monk weapons (kama, nunchaku, quarterstaff, sai, shuriken, and siangham). She may attack with unarmed strikes and special monk weapons interchangeably as desired. When using weapons as part of a flurry of blows, a monk applies her Strength or Wisdom bonus to her damage rolls for all successful attacks, whether she wields a weapon in one or both hands. The monk can’t use any weapon other than a special monk weapon as part of a flurry of blows.

Spoiler
    Show
    So one of the monk's legacy abilities finally re-appears. Since you have both the chance of TWF and an extra attack at your disposal, it makes sense to push Flurry a bit farther. Sadly, it doesn't get the reduction, even though it takes the advantage of a higher BAB. So, while it doesn't hit as much, it's capable of hitting a bit more. I'd say it's a fair exchange.

Path of the Spiritual Chains (Su): At 10th level, a monk’s attacks cannot be resisted by magical effects. By expending two daily uses of her ki power, she may ignore the effects of freedom of movement or similar abilities when initiating a grapple and prevents a grappled creature from teleporting or escaping to another plane, as if under the effects of a dimensional anchor spell, for a number of rounds equal to half her class level. A creature grappled by the monk under this effect may not escape unless it wins an opposed grapple roll to exit the grapple (or pin), or may attempt an Escape Artist check as usual. As well, she denies a spellcaster the use of the Still Spell metamagic feat (if a spell is modified by this feat). If the monk has Stunning Fist or a similar binding ability, she may ignore any immunity to such bind of a creature with a CR no higher than her character levels for the same number of rounds.

Spoiler
    Show
    UPDATE: This ability is now gained earlier. So you can make Freedom of Movement and anything short of Abrupt Jaunt pointless defenses. And also null Still Spell.

Diamond Body (Ex or Su): At 11th level, a monk’s skin becomes unnaturally resilient. She gains damage reduction 5, which can only be bypassed by magic weapons made of adamantine. As well, may expend a daily use of her ki power to gain temporary increased resiliency to damage. The monk increases her DR to 10/magic and adamantine for a number of rounds equal to half her class level plus her Wisdom modifier; this increase is treated as a supernatural ability. At 20th level, this changes to DR 20/epic and adamantine.

Spoiler
    Show
    UPDATE: The Monk now has a limited, yet permanent amount of DR. Makes Diamond Body much, much more useful. Also, have to trim the fat load of exposition from somewhere.

Abundant Step (Ex or Su): At 12th level or higher, the monk can move to half her land speed as a free action once per round. She may not use a 5-foot step in the same round she uses this ability. Her movement while using this ability is affected as usual, except she does not provoke an attack of opportunity when moving out of a threatened space. She may also use the Balance, Jump and Tumble skills as part of this movement.

As well, a monk may expend a daily use of her ki power to slip magically between spaces, as if using the spell dimension door, except as a move action instead of a standard action, and the monk may act after using this ability. Her caster level for this effect is one-half her monk level (rounded down). This latter ability is a supernatural ability.

Spoiler
    Show
    UPDATE: The Monk's ability to move half its land speed is now Extraordinary. Why deny the Monk the ability to move faster? Dim Door is still Supernatural, though.

Art of the Deadly Gale (Ex): A monk gains greater expertise when using seemingly worthless weapons, by taking advantage of her lethal arts and the size of her weaponry. She may strike twice with her weapons, or deliver a deadly swarm of her attacks upon as many enemies as she can.
    When attacking with a dart or shuriken only, the monk may use two of the weapons instead of one. She may strike two different targets, or she may decide to use the two projectiles upon the same individual with every attack, be it a single melee attack or a full attack action. As well, as a full-round action, a monk may make a single ranged attack with darts or shuriken against all opponents within range of her weapons at her highest attack bonus. When using this secondary ability, she forfeits any extra attack she may have gained by means of feats or abilities (such as Rapid Shot or the haste spell).

Spoiler
    Show
    Remember what I did to simple ranged weapons? Well, darts and shuriken get more love! Extraordinary love!

If you are asking where did I got this idea; look at the Soulknife's Bladewind ability. Then look at Adamantine Hurricane. This is what I was looking for.

Diamond Soul (Ex): At 13th level, a monk gains spell resistance equal to her current monk level + 10. By spending one daily use of her ki pool, the monk may add her Wisdom modifier to her spell resistance for a number of rounds equal to half her class level. Beneficial spells (those with the [harmless] descriptor) are not affected by this kind of spell resistance, even if the spell is originally subject to it.

Spoiler
    Show
    One of the bigger complaints of the Monk's spell resistance is not the size, but that it's nearly entirely useless. It can be easily countered, and it blocks the important spells out of the water. The disclaimer of allowing beneficial spells was made with that in mind; you can cast such spells as Haste or Fly without much trouble. The expenditure of Ki allows to add the Wisdom modifier to the spell resistance, which makes the Monk hardier to get. It doesn't make much for Assay Spell Resistance, but it still allows most harmful spells to bounce off. I'm sure you've not neglected the Wisdom by now, haven't you?

I might think raising to 15 + class level, or even make it 10 + character level.

Path of Denial (Su): At 15th level, a monk’s ability to react improves to inhuman levels. Any immediate action done by a creature in response of a monk’s action is delayed until the end of the monk’s action.

Spoiler
    Show
    ...and this is the moment when I say "screw Abrupt Jaunt". Late, sure, but the ability to one-up action economists is an ability that's golden. Took that from the Retooled Samurai. So now, you can't escape as an immediate action, and you can pre-empt contingencies. So no; you can't suddenly say "I teleport to my sanctum when I say 'fiddle-diddle-doo'" without the Monk breaking a bone you didn't even knew it existed.

Timeless Body (Ex & Su): Upon attaining 17th level, a monk no longer takes penalties to her ability scores for aging and cannot be magically aged. Any such penalties that she has already taken, however, remain in place. Bonuses still accrue, and the monk still dies of old age when her time is up.
    As well, by spending three daily uses of her ki power as an immediate action, a monk may ignore the effects of any spell that affects the passage of time, but only for herself. For example, a monk that uses this ability may ignore the effects of temporal stasis, and may act as normal while under a time stop spell cast by another. The use of this ability is considered a supernatural ability.

Spoiler
    Show
    Three daily uses of ki can be a pain. But denying the Wizard the benefit of Time Stop, one of the abusive spells, right at the moment it happens, can be truly satisfying. It lasts for a number of rounds, and it's an immediate action so you can pretty much pre-empt a Wizard from pulling that move. This also affects Time Hop, Temporal Regression and such spells.

Now, all the Monk would need is to beat the Wizard at the initiative modifier. Or pre-empt by activating the move right before initiative.

Diamond Mind (Su): Upon reaching 18th level, a monk becomes immune to all mind-affecting spells and effects. She may gain the benefit of mind-affecting abilities such as inspire courage, or positive morale effects.

Spoiler
    Show
    I think Fax's Monk has this. Except it's Mind Blank. I wish to make it a bit more unique, so I made it only so that it affected all mind-affecting spells and effects, which is the strongest point of Mind Blank.

Count the immunities now. (Technical) Immunity to blindness, immunity to poisons, immunity to diseases, and now immunity to mind-affecting spells and effects. That should make the monk a tough cookie.

Empty Body (Su): At 19th level, a monk may expend one daily use of her ki power to gain the ability to assume an ethereal state, as though using the spell etherealness, for a number of rounds equal to half her class level. While ethereal (through this ability or similar effects), a monk may attack creatures on the Material Plane using her unarmed strikes or special monk weapons.

Spoiler
    Show
    Another resuming (I can't post something that doesn't have 50,000 characters when dealing with a Monk!!). Empty Body is basically the same as the Monk's original ability, except that it lasts longer, it's saner, and you can attack while ethereal. It's no longer an escape move; it's a defensive move. A bit late, but hey; a 9th level spell usable several times per day is pretty good, no?

Perfect Self: At 20th level, a monk becomes a magical creature. She is forevermore treated as an outsider rather than as a humanoid (or whatever the monk’s creature type was) for the purpose of spells and magical effects. Additionally, the monk gains damage reduction 10/epic and adamantine. Unlike other outsiders, the monk can still be brought back from the dead as if she were a member of her previous creature type.

Spoiler
    Show
    For all of those who may seem worried...yes, it is incomplete. I was thinking of adding a capstone ability to reduce the expenditure of ki abilities for the monk by one, which would make the bulk of all Monk abilities free to use. I was also thinking of resist 30 to all elements, since the monk really deserves such an ability.

Mastery of Ki (Su): At 20th level, a monk’s mastery of ki reaches a pinnacle. She may reduce the cost of all abilities that require daily uses of her ki power by one. As well, she does not lose her supernatural abilities if her daily uses of ki power are completely expended.

So yeah, if you manage to reach the end of this post, see if it's a worthwhile brew to use or just one of the many. I am willing to accept recommendations, but be warned that I might not apply them too quickly.

Also, sorry if it seems like a self-critique most of the time. I made it intentionally so that I could face most of the typical critiques that make the Monk a weak class, and face them bit by bit. So it may seem like sometimes I'm contradicting myself; this is also intentional. That's a method of making sure I'm aware of a possible answer, no matter how bad or good such awareness is; it's all meant to build upon possible weaknesses and how can they be faced, to make this iteration of Monk better than most, or at least the core/Pathfinder versions.

I was about to go with a small disclaimer to those fellow homebrewers, but I broke the 50k letter mark. Maybe later I'll add it. But, in a nutshell: all of those are great options, and I hope I can be a source of discussion for them all.
    Last edited by T.G. Oskar; 2011-05-08 at 08:44 PM. Reason: UPDATE: Improving Wholeness of Body

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Revamping the Monk and trying not to steer too off from the established pat

I'm not expert on these kinds of detailed rebalancing, but it seems a fairly solid effort to me. Well done.
    The Impossible Thing Before Breakfast- "The GM is the author of the story and the players direct the actions of the protagonists." Widely repeated across many role-playing texts. Neither sub-clause in the sentence is possible in the presence of the other.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Revamping the Monk and trying not to steer too off from the established pat

Um, thanks. It's not as detailed as it may seem, you see. If you make a simple read through the class without reading the spoilers, you'll see it's pretty simple. There's some stuff that I added (airwalking, Wis to attack and damage, ki powers, Wis and level to special attacks), some stuff I removed (Tongue of Sun and Moon, Quivering Palm), and some stuff I moved (Wholeness of Body) or altered (Slow Fall, AC bonus). It may seem elaborate since I provided the reasoning behind my move and options, and it's mostly part why I did it, part pre-empting what people may say.

If you see something that you don't understand or that you feel might be wrong, feel free to say so. Albeit not here (mostly on the Test of Spite chatroom, located at Tide's/Doc Roc's sig), I've heard some stuff I might change, but I wish to hear a bit more on the matter.
    Now with a shiny new Homebrewer's Sig. See the magic! Use the retools in your campaign...today!
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    I'm not sure he's actually capable of making a post with fewer than 500 words. That's why we love him though.
    T.G. Oskar profile by Specter.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

I think that this is quite well done; it doesn't change what the monk is, but it seems to me that it can now stand up well against other martial characters. However, mind sharing those changes so we might have input on it?
    Formerly known as Cariyaga.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cariyaga View Post
    I think that this is quite well done; it doesn't change what the monk is, but it seems to me that it can now stand up well against other martial characters. However, mind sharing those changes so we might have input on it?
    Sorry that I couldn't answer up until now, since I was trying to figure out how to answer this. Also, I did promised I'd do a slight change to the feats and whatnot. But mostly feats and magic items; I'd need to have a basis on how to work with the Monk-based PrCs, since all of them act very differently.

Mostly, the big changes to the original one are explained on the spoilers, but in a nutshell:
    --The monk has less dependance on several ability scores. As a bare minimum, it works very well only with Wisdom (since it can add the modifier to attack, damage, AC and the special attacks). It still can do very well with a high Dex and Con, but they grant secondary benefits compared to the primary benefits of Wisdom.
    --The class abilities have changed. Some are currently gone (Quivering Palm, Tongue of Sun and Moon) because they're either best as a feat or needless at all. Some have been collapsed into a single class ability (such as Purity of Body and the original Diamond Body), or moved much earlier (Wholeness of Body)
    --The ki pool allows a small-time use of abilities that enhance already existing or new class features. Most class features can be used without expending a daily use of the ki pool (except for the new Diamond Body, Still Mind, Unburdened Path and Empty Body), but they are enhanced by having the daily uses of the ki pool. This makes them somewhat stronger in supernatural terms but without delving too much into magic.
    --Finally, some of the usual concerns with the Monk have been dealt with. Their MAD problem is lessened a bit, and they can have the equivalent of magic weapons, "flight", and enhanced sight at all moments; acquiring DR, several "immunities" and enhanced defensive capabilities, as well as enhanced mobility while using the ki pool.

The monk looks and feels like the old one, but it fares slightly better than the original one by its own. I could explain a bit more on detail, but the spoilers are a good place to look at; if you have any question on the particular class ability, the spoiler should have the reasoning behind it)

--

As promised, I'll be adding some of the changes I've worked with the feats and magic items. I'm still working with some stuff, so it's not complete. These changes work as some sort of "errata" if you decide to implement this version of the Monk.

Core:
    Improved Disarm (feat): A monk may select Improved Disarm as a bonus feat at 1st level, even if she does not meet the prerequisites. (Replaces second sentence in Special)
    Improved Grapple (feat): A monk may select Improved Grapple as a bonus feat at 1st level, even if she does not meet the prerequisites. (Replaces second sentence in Special)
    Improved Trip (feat): A monk may select Improved Trip as a bonus feat at 1st level, even if she does not meet the prerequisites. A 7th level monk can apply the feat bonus to the check even if she applies her Wisdom modifier instead of her Strength modifier. (Replaces second sentence in Special)
    Stunning Fist (feat): A monk may expend one daily use of her ki power as a free action to expend uses of Stunning Fist. (addition)
    A monk may select Stunning Fist as her 1st level (or higher) bonus feat even if she doesn’t meet the prerequisites, as long as she has Wisdom of 13 or more. A monk who selects this feat may attempt a stunning attack a number of times per day equal to her monk level, plus one more time per day for every four levels she has in classes other than monk. (Replaces second paragraph)
    Ki Focus (weapon special ability): The magic weapon serves as a channel for the wielder’s ki. If the user is a monk, this weapon allows her to use her Wisdom modifier to attack and damage rolls and gain all the benefits of ki strike, as if it were her unarmed strikes. As well, if she has the Stunning Fist feat or feats that expend a use of Stunning Fist, she may channel these abilities through the weapon; this last ability can be used by any character so as long as it has the requisite feats. (Replaces description)
    Amulet of Mighty Fists (wondrous item; necklace): Useful for characters who rely on their fists but desire an added boost, amulets of mighty fists enchant the user’s fists with magical properties. Treat the amulet of mighty fists as a masterwork weapon for purposes of adding enchantment bonuses and weapon special qualities. An amulet of mighty fists almost always has at least a +1 enhancement bonus, and must comply with most requisites regarding weapons (for example, since unarmed strikes usually deal bludgeoning damage, they cannot be enhanced with the keen weapon special ability); however, an amulet of mighty fists cannot be enhanced with the throwing or returning qualities (or qualities for thrown or projectile weapons).
    Cost: 300 plus the enhancement costs (2000 for an amulet of mighty fists +1, 8000 for an amulet of mighty fists [+1 flaming], and so on). (Replaces description and cost).
    Monk’s Belt (wondrous item; belt): The wearer’s AC and unarmed damage, as well as all class abilities that rely on class level, are treated as a monk of five levels higher. (Replaces 2nd sentence in description)

Non-Core:
    Axiomatic Strike (feat) (CW 96): By expending one daily use of your ki power or Stunning Fist as a swift action, you briefly turn your unarmed strikes into the bane of chaotic creatures. Your unarmed strikes are considered to have an effective enhancement bonus of +2 higher (if any) against chaotic creatures, and your attacks deal an extra 2d6 points damage to such creatures for one round. This damage stacks with the extra damage from the lawful weapon special ability. (Replaces the Benefit)
    Clever Wrestling (feat) (CW 97): Prerequisites – Dex 13, Improved Unarmed Strike, Improved Grapple (replaces prerequisites)
    When your opponent is larger, you gain a circumstance bonus on your grapple checks. The size of the bonus depends on your opponent’s size, as shown in the following table:

{TABLE]Opponent Size|Bonus
    One size higher|+2
    Two sizes higher|+4
    Three sizes higher|+6
    Four sizes higher|+8[/TABLE]

(replaces the Benefit)
    Fists of Iron (feat) (CW 99): By expending a daily use of your Stunning Fist as a swift action, your attacks deal an extra 1d6 points of damage with a successful unarmed strike for one round. (Replaces the Benefit)
    Special - A monk may choose this feat as one of her bonus feats. If she has the ki strike (adamantine) class ability, this damage ignores damage reduction as if adamantine (or ignores any damage reduction). (addition)
    Freezing the Lifeblood (feat) (CW 99): A monk may expend one daily use of her ki power as a free action to use this feat. (Addition to Special)
    Rapid Stunning (feat) (CW 105): You may use one additional stunning attack (or feat or special attack that counts against your daily limit of stunning attacks) per round. If the feat lasts for more than one attack, it still cannot be used more than once per round, but it allows the use of more than one feat (replaces the Benefit)
    Weakening Touch (feat) (CW 106): If the character is a monk, she may expend one daily use of her ki power to gain the benefit of the feat. (Addition to Special)
    Sun School (tactical feat) (CW 112): Prerequisites – Flurry of blows ability, Stunning Fist, base attack bonus +11. (Replaces the Prerequisites)
    Flash of Sunset: To use this maneuver, you must move adjacent to a foe instantaneously, as with a dimension door spell or the monk’s abundant step feature, and expend a daily use of your ki power (or another if you’re using the abundant step). If you do so, you can do a full attack at your opponent (but not any other full-round actions). (Replaces one of the tactical maneuvers)
    Special – a monk may choose this feat as one of her bonus feats. (Addition)
    Ascetic Hunter and Ascetic Rogue (feats) (CAdv 105 & 106): add Stunning fist to the list of prerequisites.
    Fiery Fist (feat) (PHBII 79): A monk may select Fiery Fist as one of her 6th level or higher bonus feats, even if she does not meet the other prerequisites. (Replaces 2nd sentence in Special)
    A monk gains an extra daily use of her ki power instead of a daily use of Stunning Fist. A monk may expend one daily use of her ki power to gain the benefit, as if it were using a daily use of her Stunning Fist attempt. If she has the Stunning Fist attempt, she retains this benefit. (Addition to Special)
    Fiery Ki Defense (feat) (PHBII 79): A monk may select Fiery Ki Defense as one of her 11th level or higher bonus feats, even if she does not meet the other prerequisites, as long as she has Fiery Fist. (Replaces 2nd sentence in Special)
    A monk may expend one daily use of her ki power to gain the benefit, as if it were using a daily use of her Stunning Fist attempt. If she has the Stunning Fist attempt, she retains this benefit. (Addition to Special)
    Ki Blast (feat) (PHBII 80): A monk may select Ki Blast as one of her 11th level or higher bonus feats, even if she does not meet the other prerequisites, as long as she has Fiery Fist. (Replaces 2nd sentence in Special)
    A monk gains an extra daily use of her ki power instead of a daily use of Stunning Fist. A monk may expend one daily use of her ki power to gain the benefit, as if it were using a daily use of her Stunning Fist attempt. If she has the Stunning Fist attempt, she retains this benefit. (Addition to Special)
    Water Splitting Stone (feat) (PHBII 85): A monk can select Water Splitting Stone as long as she has a base attack bonus of +9 (other prerequisites can be ignored) (Replaces 2nd sentence in Special)
    Fist of the Heavens (exalted feat) (BoED 43): Prerequisites – Wis 15, Stunning Fist, either Sanctify Ki Strike, Sanctify Martial Strike (unarmed attack) or Sanctify Natural Attack. (Replaces prerequisites)
    Holy Ki Strike (exalted feat) (BoED 44): Prerequisites – Wis 15, Sanctify Ki Strike. (Replaces prerequisites)
    This damage does not stack with the extra damage from Sanctify Ki Strike (but see below). (Replaces last sentence in Benefit)
    By expending a daily use of your ki power, your unarmed strikes gain the bane special property against evil outsiders or undead (your choice). This replaces the secondary benefit from the Sanctify Ki Strike feat. (Addition to Benefit)
    Sanctify Ki Strike (exalted feat) (BoED 46): Prerequisites – Wis 15, Improved Unarmed Strike, ki strike (lawful) (Replaces prerequisites)
    By expending a daily use of your ki power, your unarmed strikes gain the holy special property. You may replace acquiring the lawful special property as well, without expending extra daily uses. The extra damage from the special weapon property replaces the damage from the feat. (Addition to Benefit)
    Vile Ki Strike (exalted feat) (BoVD 50): Prerequisites – Wis 15, Improved Unarmed Strike, ki strike (lawful) (Replaces prerequisites)
    By expending a daily use of your ki power, your unarmed strikes gain the unholy special property. You may replace acquiring the lawful special property as well, without expending extra daily uses. (Addition to Benefit)

--

Evidently, this does not include all of the feats or magic items. I'd be thankful if you guys help me to find out any feat I might be missing out.
    Last edited by T.G. Oskar; 2011-01-16 at 06:01 AM. Reason: Adding revised description and cost for Amulet of Mighty Fists
    Now with a shiny new Homebrewer's Sig. See the magic! Use the retools in your campaign...today!
    I'm not sure he's actually capable of making a post with fewer than 500 words. That's why we love him though.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Wow, Oskar, this is pure awesome. I wrote up a revamped monk of my own recently, but it not only breaks compatibility with existing monk-friendly prestige classes and such, it "feels" nothing like the original monk - it's designed to be a nonmagical martial artist, not a mystic warrior. If I'd seen this first, I never would have bothered.

On the other hand, one can never have too many options! Would you mind if I used this as one of the character classes in the campaign setting I'm working on? You never specifically state open gaming license or anything like that, so I hesitate to steal borrow it without permission.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainPlatypus View Post
    Wow, Oskar, this is pure awesome. I wrote up a revamped monk of my own recently, but it not only breaks compatibility with existing monk-friendly prestige classes and such, it "feels" nothing like the original monk - it's designed to be a nonmagical martial artist, not a mystic warrior. If I'd seen this first, I never would have bothered.

On the other hand, one can never have too many options!
    Uh, thanks. Not used to praise, actually...

You don't have to give up on the idea. There's more than one way to work a monk, and you can revamp that idea into a new and unique class. Or, you can take this one, change the name, and use your own as the original Monk. Or work the earlier's features as class features to complement this one (or the original Monk, actually). There's more than one way to rework the classes.

There were certain things that I wanted to work with, and one of them was the compatibility with existing sources. Most of the fixes are roughly self-contained; it's not a bad idea, but it cuts on some of the various things that have applied to the Monk during the era of 3E/3.5. There's some stuff I still need to work around (there's ACFs that need to be fixed in order to be used for this version of the Monk, some prestige classes, and also some magic items), but I'm showing my work bit by bit.

Would you mind if I used this as one of the character classes in the campaign setting I'm working on? You never specifically state open gaming license or anything like that, so I hesitate to steal borrow it without permission.
    Certainly! I'd love to see some playtesting on this version, see if it's a bit problematic to handle or if it's a good choice. Just make sure that you give credit to where's due, or I'll be a sad man.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by T.G. Oskar View Post
    You don't have to give up on the idea. There's more than one way to work a monk, and you can revamp that idea into a new and unique class. Or, you can take this one, change the name, and use your own as the original Monk. Or work the earlier's features as class features to complement this one (or the original Monk, actually). There's more than one way to rework the classes.
    Never even considered giving it up, actually; I'm doing some strange things with classes in this setting, so it's easy to use them side by side. If I was going to use standard class names, though, yours would definitely be the monk; mine doesn't really fit the term, as I said.

There were certain things that I wanted to work with, and one of them was the compatibility with existing sources. Most of the fixes are roughly self-contained; it's not a bad idea, but it cuts on some of the various things that have applied to the Monk during the era of 3E/3.5. There's some stuff I still need to work around (there's ACFs that need to be fixed in order to be used for this version of the Monk, some prestige classes, and also some magic items), but I'm showing my work bit by bit.
    I'm honestly amazed at the extent of modifications to monk prestige classes and feats you've provided. I'm far too lazy; I'd just leave it as an exercise to the reader. The whole thing is very well done.

Certainly! I'd love to see some playtesting on this version, see if it's a bit problematic to handle or if it's a good choice. Just make sure that you give credit to where's due, or I'll be a sad man.
    Of course! I'll make sure to let you know how it works out, and giving you credit needs no mentioning. :)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Interesante. Interesting changes that certainly amps up the monk to on par with the other martial classes.

I have 2 complaints, the first is that there's so much ki usage in the class that should you run out you'll be screwed. Perhaps that's not that big a concern, as the same could be applied to the Factotem with their inspiration points, so maybe a moot point.

The other is that abundant step is all well and good as a move action but your turn ends after activating. I'm not sure if that was intentional or not.

My other thoughts are that Quivering Palm, if it makes it back as a feat or feature, should be Ki powered, not a 1/week or 1/day ability, as that was the particular sticking point for me in the Pathfinder reversion that it wasn't. It'll hardly get used 1/week and 1/days annoy me these days.

For other monk feats that need reworking, Sandstorm has a couple: Pharaoh's Fist, Rattlesnake Strike and Serpent Fang, also possibly Scorpion's Grasp. Stormwrack has Curling Wave Strike and Toothed Blow and you forgot Versatile Unarmed Strike in PHB2.

Them's my 2 coppers. Take as you will.
    Rule of Cool Contributor and Goon

Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    Interesante. Interesting changes that certainly amps up the monk to on par with the other martial classes.
    Um, thanks. That was well meant the intention.

I have 2 complaints, the first is that there's so much ki usage in the class that should you run out you'll be screwed. Perhaps that's not that big a concern, as the same could be applied to the Factotem with their inspiration points, so maybe a moot point.
    Well, there's the Extra Ki feat (which works mostly the same as Font of Inspiration), as well as the fact it is based on Wisdom. I didn't wanted to stray too far from the Ki power class ability of the Ninja, so I kept the amount of uses and gave an amount of daily uses relative to the power of the ability.

It's not like the Factotum, though. Since the inspiration points recover each encounter, the Factotum can do much more than a Monk on longer encounters. The bulk of the ki powers appears quite early, but considering a real average score of 14 (conservative to the mostly reasonable amount of 16) Wis, by the time the first ki powers appear, you should have around 2 to 4 daily uses of ki. By the time the first ability that consumes more than two daily uses appears (8th level), that's roughly 6 to 8 uses per day of the ability, which can be stretched for about 3 battles at most, unless you find ways to complement those uses.

The ki powers are options, which can make a monk considerably stronger when unarmed and unarmored, but it doesn't ignore the power that magic items bring to the mix.

The other is that abundant step is all well and good as a move action but your turn ends after activating. I'm not sure if that was intentional or not.
    I wasn't aware of that until a few days ago, when I really looked at the Dimension Door ability. I'll make the change eventually, while keeping the benefit of the tactical feat of Sun School intact (technically, you can do one standard action after using Abundant Step, or two for the equivalent of shadow-pouncing.

My other thoughts are that Quivering Palm, if it makes it back as a feat or feature, should be Ki powered, not a 1/week or 1/day ability, as that was the particular sticking point for me in the Pathfinder reversion that it wasn't. It'll hardly get used 1/week and 1/days annoy me these days.
    I was working on that yesterday, actually. It's based on Stunning Fist, but it allows for daily uses of Ki (much like Stunning Fist and related feats). This expands Quivering Palm for use by Fighters with insanely high Wis, but made much easier for Monks. Here's how it should end, but consider this may change if deemed appropriate:

QUIVERING PALM [GENERAL]
    Prerequisites: Dex 13, Wis 17, Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist, base attack bonus +15.
    Benefit: By expending two daily uses of Stunning Fist, you can force an opponent to die at your command. If you succeed on a melee attack and the target takes damage from the blow, the quivering palm attack succeeds. Thereafter you can try to slay the victim at any later time, as long as the attempt is made within a number of days equal to your character level. To make such an attempt, you will the target to die (a free action), and unless the target makes a Fortitude saving throw (DC 10 + ½ your character level + your Wis modifier), it dies. If the saving throw is successful, the target is no longer in danger from that particular quivering palm attack, but it may still be affected by another one at a later time. Constructs, oozes, plants, undead, incorporeal creatures, and creatures immune to critical hits cannot be affected.
    Special: A fighter may select Quivering Palm as one of his fighter bonus feats.
    A monk may select Stunning Fist as a bonus feat at 16th level, even if she does not meet the prerequisites, so as long as she has a Wis of 17 or more and the Stunning Fist feat. A monk who selects this feat may expend two daily uses of her ki pool to activate this feat.

For other monk feats that need reworking, Sandstorm has a couple: Pharaoh's Fist, Rattlesnake Strike and Serpent Fang, also possibly Scorpion's Grasp. Stormwrack has Curling Wave Strike and Toothed Blow and you forgot Versatile Unarmed Strike in PHB2.

Also working on them, actually. Mostly finished the fixes on the Sandstorm feats (noticed when I was looking at one of Person Man's guides, and noticed that Scorpion's Grasp was exactly what I wanted for an enhancement to Grapple, which led to the rest. Since this is a good moment to add them:

Pharaoh’s Fist (feat) (Sandstorm 51): You must declare that you are using this feat before you make your attack roll (thus, a failed attack roll ruins the attempt). By expending one Stunning Fist use for the day, you force an opponent successfully struck by your unarmed attack, and all creatures adjacent to that opponent, to make a Fortitude saving throw (DC 10 + 1/2 your character level + your Wis modifier) or be stunned for 1 round. All opponents struck by the stunning attempt are dealt damage normally. You can replace the main benefit of this feat (stunning) with other feats that replace the Stunning Fist feat (such as Pain Touch, Weakening Touch and Freezing the Lifeblood) by expending another daily use of the Stunning Fist feat. (Replaces Benefit)
    A monk may select Pharaoh’s Fist as a bonus feat at 6th level or higher even if she does not meet the prerequisites, so as long as she has the Stunning Fist feat. A monk may expend one daily use of her ki power as a free action to use this feat. (Addition to Special)
    Rattlesnake Strike (feat) (Sandstorm 51): A monk may select Rattlesnake Strike as a bonus feat at 6th level or higher even if she does not meet the prerequisites, so as long as she has the Stunning Fist feat. A monk may expend one daily use of her ki power as a free action to use this feat. (Addition to Special)
    Scorpion’s Grasp (feat) (Sandstorm 52): Prerequisites - Str 15, Dex 13, Improved Grapple, Improved Unarmed Strike. (Replaces prerequisites)
    If your attack with an unarmed strike, natural weapon or a light or one-handed melee weapon hits, the strike deals normal damage and you can attempt to start a grapple as a free action; no initial touch attack is required. If you succeed in starting the grapple, you must drop your one-handed weapon, but if you started the grapple with a light weapon, you can use it in each round to make an attack against the creature you are grappling without taking the normal –4 penalty on the attack roll.
    You have the option to conduct the grapple normally, or you may hold a creature one or more sizes smaller than you with your off hand. If you choose to do the latter, you take a –20 penalty on grapple checks against that creature and you cannot deal damage with your grapple checks, but you are not considered grappled yourself. You don’t lose your Dexterity bonus to AC, you still threaten an area, and you can use remaining attacks against other opponents. While maintaining this latter type of hold, you can move normally (possibly carrying your opponent away), provided you can drag the opponent’s weight.
    (Replaces Benefit)
    Normal - You may only initiate a grapple as a standard action or as part of a full attack action (by replacing one of your attacks) (Addition)
    A fighter may select Scorpion’s Grasp as one of his fighter bonus feats. (Addition to Special)
    A monk may select Scorpion’s Grasp as a bonus feat at 6th level or higher even if she does not meet the prerequisites, so as long as she has the Improved Grapple feat. (Addition to Special)
    Serpent Fang (feat) (Sandstorm 53): By expending one Stunning Fist use for the day, you can project your ki to strike an opponent that is 5 feet beyond your normal unarmed reach for one round. You can use this extended reach for actions that require a melee attack, disarm, grapple, sunder or trip. You can combine this effect with other feats that expend daily uses of Stunning Fist (including the feat itself) (Replaces Benefit)
    A monk may select Serpent Fang as a bonus feat at 6th level or higher even if she does not meet the prerequisites, so as long as she has the Stunning Fist feat. A monk may expend one daily use of her ki power as a free action to use this feat. (Addition to Special)

I was currently watching the Stormwrack feats, so I'll be dealing with them eventually. Also, I almost entirely forgot about Versatile Unarmed Strike, but I believe it's a Fighter bonus feat (so that means the Monk can gain it as a bonus feat), so that shouldn't be much trouble. Consider that, by default, if a Monk-related feat can be chosen as a Fighter bonus feat, and it doesn't have a replacement, it can be used as a Monk bonus feat as-is. The feat & magic item "errata" is going with the idea that specific trumps general.
    Last edited by T.G. Oskar; 2009-10-02 at 04:47 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] The Retooled Monk

Shameless bump, but I made a few changes to the Monk's movement modes.

Originally, Walk the Clouds was a rather complex ability. I made it so that Balance and Jump remained useful, but somehow it always was complicated. The ability pretty much required you to make odd calculations to work. Now, the ability was vastly improved: you can move above water, above acid, above lava, and even through air as if having Water Walk and Air Walk spells. The expenditure of ki is only to remove the concentration factor.

Another thing is some descriptor changes. Slow Fall, Walk the Clouds and Abundant Step were originally Supernatural only. That meant that any kind of AMF could leave them out of function. Now, their base abilities (reducing fall damage, movement through liquid or air, and "land-foot" step or moving part of your base land speed as a swift action) are Extraordinary abilities. After doing some more homebrewing and pretty much bending the limits of extraordinary, and after checking the class again, I think it's something they deserve a bit more.

I might post one or two ACFs to support this, the first homebrew I posted in here (but not my actual first homebrew) eventually. However, I should let this serve as a bump for those who hasn't seen the class retooling already. As well...as adding the [Retooled] tag that I like to use so much.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

I'll comment on the actual class later. I just had to note that when I first glanced at "touching the ripples" on the table, the lack of a capital "R" made me see "touching the nipples" at first.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    I'll comment on the actual class later. I just had to note that when I first glanced at "touching the ripples" on the table, the lack of a capital "R" made me see "touching the nipples" at first.
    Don't blame me for that, blame that on the official table format (where basically every letter save for the first one is lowercase).

Talk about a non-intentional reading, huh?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Slowfall seems to have a slightly odd progression. It has 2 levels where it's 20 but everything else has 3. I would recommend moving it slightly earlier or altering the progression a touch.

AC Boost has a similar problem, but you already provided an explanation.

I like the class as a whole. I'm not sure about change balance, but... yeah. I'll see if I can play test this in a game some time.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DythTheKobold View Post
    Slowfall seems to have a slightly odd progression. It has 2 levels where it's 20 but everything else has 3. I would recommend moving it slightly earlier or altering the progression a touch.
    Well, it's odd because it's on the same progression as the old Slow Fall, but it progresses much faster (20 ft. per three levels instead of 10 ft. per two levels), exceeds the old Slow Fall much faster and the any-distance requirement is achieved much, much faster. That, and expending ki for a Feather Fall effect...so it's strictly much better. Though, yeah; those first levels of slow fall are pretty weird. Maybe if I reduce it from 4th level to 3rd level it gets into a much more reasonable progression

AC Boost has a similar problem, but you already provided an explanation.
    That doesn't mean you have to forcefully agree with it. Theoretically, the AC bonus should represent the exchange of wearing light armor and the enhancements, but people might just consider that wearing actual armor is better because it provides for enhancements you otherwise wouldn't get by means of the class. Perhaps stuff like Shadow, Silent Moves and perhaps the resistances may not seem much, but when you consider stuff like Healing, Death Ward, Fortification and others, you might consider that wearing at least light armor is far more beneficial than applying Wis to AC.

Any disagreement should be mentioned, and is more than welcome. I consider that the AC bonus in the end is much better than a regular light armor in terms of AC given, but that doesn't mean it's actually better than wearing light armor. I personally see that the monk shouldn't wear any armor, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't wear robes, or even outfits, that provide the same benefits while still counting as body items (Ghost Shround and Shadow Veil are examples). Anything that contributes to enhancing the class and make it useful is welcome, so as long as something can be done with it (and don't expect me accepting all requests, but I can certainly consider them).

I like the class as a whole. I'm not sure about change balance, but... yeah. I'll see if I can play test this in a game some time.
    In theory, it should be strictly better than a Monk since it solves some of the problems the class has. However, it doesn't mean it will compare to, say, a Swordsage in terms of power. It does allow for a high Wis character to gain loads of benefits, and it makes some combat maneuvers such as grapple and trip much more attractive (adding Wis to opposed rolls, treating character as one size category larger, nullifying Freedom of Movement at higher levels) which is something I wanted to issue with the class, but it doesn't mean it's automatically more powerful than a Wizard or Cleric, and certainly not as weak as the classic Monk. At most, it should be one tier higher, or perhaps the same tier but much higher than before (I agree on the one tier higher, since it can do much more stuff than it did before). Also, consider that I've since done other homebrew, and embraced other paradigms so changes are certainly welcome. Just...no similarities to the Swordsage: Swordsage is its own class, and one I find suits better not to unarmed characters but to people like Li Mu Bai, perhaps Jade Fox, and other main characters from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Ironically, I find those to be swordsmen and weaponsmasters other than actual Monks, but that's me.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

wow this is probably the best monk redux i'v seen. awesome job, I just hope that my dm will let me switch characters

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

That doesn't mean you have to forcefully agree with it. Theoretically, the AC bonus should represent the exchange of wearing light armor and the enhancements, but people might just consider that wearing actual armor is better because it provides for enhancements you otherwise wouldn't get by means of the class. Perhaps stuff like Shadow, Silent Moves and perhaps the resistances may not seem much, but when you consider stuff like Healing, Death Ward, Fortification and others, you might consider that wearing at least light armor is far more beneficial than applying Wis to AC.
    On that front, monks can somewhat make up for that by noticing in the Arms and Equipment Guide that there's a sidebar for adding armor special abilities to Bracers of Armor, which also extends the bonus of the Bracers up to 13, for a max of +8 armor and +5 special abilities. Following that logic and seeing the Common Item Effects in the MIC allowing you to add Armor bonii to proper body slots, I could see monks and other unarmored characters gaining armor special abilities by applying them to the proper body slots. Not sure if that's strictly RAW (probably not) but I think it's reasonable, since pumping AC via magic items tends to get expensive compared to just putting on armor.

Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Decided to make another slight modification to another ability: Wholeness of Body.

In short: Wholeness of Body is now a Swift Action! Thus, you can decide to heal yourself off some points, and then keep fighting as necessary. As well, you can now use ki to recharge the pool.

At 2nd level, this means you have a pretty solid ability to fight onwards, while later this ability mostly allows you to shrug off some lucky hits while you use your defenses and movement.

As I said, I was thinking of Fast Healing, but that's far too strong at that level. I remained kinda true to the sources of the change (mostly D&D Tactics and DDO: Eberron Unlimited), but whether the change is favorable or not I leave to you to consider.

I was also planning on another slight modification: unarmed strikes are NICE, and with Ki Strike they're much better (using ki for enchanting weapons), but I decided to give some love to the "special Monk weapons": kama, quarterstaff, sai, shuriken and siangham (as well as, I'd say, sling because it'd be really cool). Basically, increase the power of these weapons as if they were unarmed strikes, but having slings and shuriken get the benefit first (as well as a range increase) and other weapons afterwards. That way, while you'd still prefer unarmed strikes, those weapons would get more love and you'd have more reasons to have weaponry around. So...whaddya think of this slight change? I might also add, if I find them, other monk weapons and apply the benefit (and the proficiency) to their D&D equivalents (thinking of the Shaolin Monk in Deadliest Warrior).

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

I like the idea of a damage boost to those weapons. It fits, thematically, better than "My hands get tough!"

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

I like the idea of a damage boost to those weapons. It fits, thematically, better than "My hands get tough!"
    I already got the ideas done, so I'll just post them here instead of immediately adding them so that you may determine whether they are reasonable or not.

Art of the Deadly Wind (Ex): At 4th level, the monk’s expertise with martial arts improves. When she uses seemingly weak ranged attacks, her strikes are much more lethal and reach a greater distance than usual.

When the monk uses a dart, a sling, or a shuriken, the monk deals damage with the weapon as if she was using an unarmed strike, but of a monk of her level -3 (thus, she deals 1d6 points of damage if Medium). She may use her Dexterity or her Wisdom modifier for her attack rolls with these weapons, and she may use either her Strength or her Wisdom modifier to the damage roll (even if the weapon does not normally allow it). As well, her range increment is equal to 50 ft. if it doesn’t have that range increment already; at every 4 levels after the 4th, the range increment of the weapon increases by 20 ft. Finally, she is treated as if having the Quick Draw feat for purposes of making extra attacks with these weapons.

If the campaign has the following available, the monk may provide the benefits of this ability to the following weapons: blowgun, greater blowgun.

Deadly Weapons (Ex): At 8th level, a monk can use certain weapons with such grace, that she can deliver far deadlier blows than others who pursue her arts.

When using a kama, nunchaku, quarterstaff, sai or siangham, the monk deals damage with the weapon as if she was using an unarmed strike, but of a monk of her level -3 (thus, she deals 1d8 points of damage if Medium). She may use her Strength or her Wisdom modifier for her attack rolls and damage rolls with the weapon. As well, she gains a special ability when using any of these weapons:
    Kama: upon a successful trip attempt, the monk may deal damage with the kama as if she had succeeded on a melee attack, but she only deals half the damage she would have usually dealt. This applies even if she has the Improved Trip feat.
    Nunchaku or Sai: when using a disarm attempt, the monk may decide to “lock” the weapon instead of merely disarming. She may make this special disarm attempt even when her enemy uses natural weapons, but it applies only to one such natural weapon (thus, if the enemy has two claws, she may apply this effect only to one of the claws). Until the creature attempts to move away from the monk, the creature may not use this weapon, nor the monk may use her nunchaku or sai (but she may still use her unarmed strikes if she so desires); if the creature wields a manufactured weapon and attempts to move away, the monk may force another disarm attempt to remove the weapon from the creature’s hands.
    Quarterstaff: the monk may use a quarterstaff as a reach weapon if she so desires. If she has the Two-Weapon Fighting feat, she may not fight with the quarterstaff as a double weapon and apply the reach; only one or the other. However, her damage with both ends of the weapon increases as indicated above.
    Siangham: the monk may use a feint attempt with a siangham. She may use her base attack bonus plus her Wisdom modifier or her Bluff check plus her Wisdom modifier for the feint, whichever is higher. She may use this special feint with the siangham as a swift action, and the loss of the creature’s Dexterity modifier to AC applies to all attacks she makes until the end of her turn (thus, she may apply this to a single attack, or to a full attack action).

I also made a new ability for level 13th, since Diamond Soul feels so alone right there...
    Art of the Deadly Gale (Ex): A monk gains greater expertise when using seemingly worthless weapons, by taking advantage of her lethal arts and the size of her weaponry. She may strike twice with her weapons, or deliver a deadly swarm of her attacks upon as many enemies as she can.

When attacking with a dart or shuriken only, the monk may use two of the weapons instead of one. She may strike two different targets, or she may decide to use the two projectiles upon the same individual with every attack, be it a single melee attack or a full attack action. As well, as a full-round action, a monk may make a single ranged attack with darts or shuriken against all opponents within range of her weapons at her highest attack bonus. When using this secondary ability, she forfeits any extra attack she may have gained by means of feats or abilities (such as Rapid Shot or the haste spell).

Spoiler
    Show
    So yeah, it's Palmstrike and Bladewind at the same time. More exciting options for the Monk, and all three are Extraordinary! Yay for more extraordinary power!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Wouldn't the ranged ones be thematically appropriate for the Ninja as well? I can't judge balance, but it looks good.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Wouldn't the ranged ones be thematically appropriate for the Ninja as well? I can't judge balance, but it looks good.
    In part. Ninjas have a set of other weapons in which they are good with (namely shortbows), and they have Sudden Strike which means they won't need the damage boost. Thus, they would mostly benefit from the increased range, the application of Wis to attack and damage rolls, and the shuriken, darts and blowgun would benefit from Quick Draw. Maybe I could do so that the effective range for Sudden Strike (and Sudden Strike only) increases with these weapons, but not so sure of that.

As for balance...that's what I wait for others to measure. Having a shuriken that deals 2d8 points of damage at a distance of 130 ft. at level 20th isn't necessarily broken, given that the shuriken will break up at the end of the path (being treated as a projectile weapon), but it'll work well with the issues of ranged weapons and Monks; that way, they'll have several good weapons to use between darts, slings, shuriken and crossbows, so there's actually no way to protest that Monks are caught unaware at range. Though, they may not be as good as a dedicated archer in that sense. But, that's my opinion; it seems strong at first, but once you really analyze it in-game, it's not as powerful. Perhaps Art of the Deadly Gale, which allows for double consumption of darts or shuriken for either doubled damage or striking two enemies, but even that's not game-breaking as, say, Iron Heart Surge or White Raven Tactics or spellcasting, period. It may be as good as, say...Crippling Strike from the Rogue, or Sweeping Strike from the War Mind, perhaps a bit better but never overpowered.

23. - Top - End - #23

Ah, the Monk. How I love the class so. As a result, I love reading Monk remixes.

This one has to be my favorite. At first I rolled my eyes when I spotted 'Ki Power' on the table, thinking it would be another Psionics system knock off. Then I remembered who was making this set, and read on. I can say I'm pleasantly surprised.

The system is simple. Uses per day equal to Wis modifier, Su abilities use 1-3 uses. This is important, as martial classes shouldn't require rocket science to say 'I punch this guy in the face'. You didn't just throw it in, either. You took each of the Monk's horribly underpowered class features and buffed them up greatly at the cost of a use or two.

You even fixed the lack of synergy; a use to move your speed as a swift action, meaning one CAN move and flurry in the same turn. The fact the core Monk lacks this is a crime. You gave it Full BAB, which is vital for a good Monk fix. You gave it the ability to push through barriers and restraints, and follow into the air and over water- two of the major obstacles facing warrior types, flying enemies and magical walls/restraints are nullified wonderfully.

Since most of what I have to say is glowing praise (love the blindsense ability, always loved the idea of the blindfold monk), I'll skip to the nitpicks. While you've given them a strong focus on the Wisdom attribute, taking the stress of other attributes, this monk still suffers from MAD a bit. Perhaps an ability that takes one use to substitute a your strength modifier with your wisdom modifier for X rounds? And you already did that too. I need to stop posting so late at night.

And... that's about it. I really, really like this Monk fix. You took the weaknesses of the Monk and fixed them, and gave it even more flavor then it had before. While I tilted my head from time to time when I saw you run with it in a direction I didn't expect, I think they came out fantastic. You did a much better job then I ever did. Even the side material is brilliant, such as all the Ki Strike variations.

Since I really didn't offer much criticism in this post, I want to apologize. I would go over the three new abilities you proposed, but I can't find anything wrong with them, either. I'm just not skilled enough yet, I guess. Great job, and I hope to see more of your work.
    Last edited by UserShadow7989; 2010-10-03 at 02:09 AM.
    Thanks to Akrim.elf for the avi of my OC.

Homebrewer's signature.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

The new proposed features look fine to me currently and their proposed spots in the progression don't seem overburdened, either. So, I say good on you for giving monks their weapons back.

This doesn't solve a build idea I've had for years that I don't think I'll ever resolve without adapting Raptor Arrows but that's something else entirely.

Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by UserShadow7989 View Post
    Ah, the Monk. How I love the class so. As a result, I love reading Monk remixes.

This one has to be my favorite. At first I rolled my eyes when I spotted 'Ki Power' on the table, thinking it would be another Psionics system knock off. Then I remembered who was making this set, and read on. I can say I'm pleasantly surprised.

The system is simple. Uses per day equal to Wis modifier, Su abilities use 1-3 uses. This is important, as martial classes shouldn't require rocket science to say 'I punch this guy in the face'. You didn't just throw it in, either. You took each of the Monk's horribly underpowered class features and buffed them up greatly at the cost of a use or two.

You even fixed the lack of synergy; a use to move your speed as a swift action, meaning one CAN move and flurry in the same turn. The fact the core Monk lacks this is a crime. You gave it Full BAB, which is vital for a good Monk fix. You gave it the ability to push through barriers and restraints, and follow into the air and over water- two of the major obstacles facing warrior types, flying enemies and magical walls/restraints are nullified wonderfully.

Since most of what I have to say is glowing praise (love the blindsense ability, always loved the idea of the blindfold monk), I'll skip to the nitpicks. While you've given them a strong focus on the Wisdom attribute, taking the stress of other attributes, this monk still suffers from MAD a bit. Perhaps an ability that takes one use to substitute a your strength modifier with your wisdom modifier for X rounds? And you already did that too. I need to stop posting so late at night.

And... that's about it. I really, really like this Monk fix. You took the weaknesses of the Monk and fixed them, and gave it even more flavor then it had before. While I tilted my head from time to time when I saw you run with it in a direction I didn't expect, I think they came out fantastic. You did a much better job then I ever did. Even the side material is brilliant, such as all the Ki Strike variations.

Since I really didn't offer much criticism in this post, I want to apologize. I would go over the three new abilities you proposed, but I can't find anything wrong with them, either. I'm just not skilled enough yet, I guess. Great job, and I hope to see more of your work.
    Heh. That's...a tear-dropping elegy to the work, but it does touch some of the points I wanted to deal with the Monk.

Indeed, one of the key points was to address some of the concerns of the Monk by providing abilities and improvements that have been suggested over the years. If it pleases the crowd, why not provide? The new content that allows it to use a bit more of the weapons works even better for the Monk, as it allows it to do something I've eventually wanted to touch ever since I made this retooling: make a class, not a build, that didn't merely involve "get Unarmed Swordsage". Certainly, it's looking less like a build and some of the concepts are slowly starting to spread out (now you don't have to forcefully fight with unarmed strikes, you can add some of the weapons), but it still could diversify a bit more and still have its own feel. Directly enhancing the weaponry, or providing a general boost to the combat maneuvers that so many people seem to flinch about gives the Monk its own, happy niche: fight without weapons (or use the simplest and lesser known weapons) with impressive skill, fight without armor, and deal with some of the troubles that baffle other martial classes. In fact, some of the constructs from this class have migrated to others with the same amount of effort (such as the Retooled Ninja and Retooled Samurai, which have both proper uses of ki which I find a great, but largely underused, mechanic).

Granted; I feel it could still improve a lot, address some issues that are best represented as class features and not as feats, things that should be better left to a single class than to a multitude of the classes, and things that are better to have, essentially, at all times instead of not having it at a certain round in the encounter (and have stuff that can be used out of encounters). Call it "the Monk's enlightenment", when it can finally escape the shadow of the Swordsage; this doesn't mean that the Swordsage shouldn't have existed, but I feel the latter fills a different concept that exists parallel to the Monk's own.

The new proposed features look fine to me currently and their proposed spots in the progression don't seem overburdened, either. So, I say good on you for giving monks their weapons back.

This doesn't solve a build idea I've had for years that I don't think I'll ever resolve without adapting Raptor Arrows but that's something else entirely.

Raptor Arrows...you mean returning projectiles? Well...Art of the Deadly Gale could certainly have a (Su) addition in which you can imbue weapons with ki to make them return. On the other hand, I feel that things like returning projectiles (in the case of shuriken) should have existed as an option for magical equipment, given that an archer consumes arrows like nobody's business and the ammunition could be done cheaper (because a pack of 50 +1 flame arrows is expensive as heck).

However...darts are treated like thrown weapons, are small enough to be used with the flick of fingers, and can be imbued with a returning or even teleporting quality...

Oh, that should also improve the monk weapons from other places (namely, the Oriental Adventures monk weapons and the Arms & Equipment Guide weapons, alongside other 3.5 sources). You know, let stuff like butterfly swords, twin hooked swords and three-sectioned staffs have their love too.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Raptor Arrows...you mean returning projectiles? Well...Art of the Deadly Gale could certainly have a (Su) addition in which you can imbue weapons with ki to make them return. On the other hand, I feel that things like returning projectiles (in the case of shuriken) should have existed as an option for magical equipment, given that an archer consumes arrows like nobody's business and the ammunition could be done cheaper (because a pack of 50 +1 flame arrows is expensive as heck).

However...darts are treated like thrown weapons, are small enough to be used with the flick of fingers, and can be imbued with a returning or even teleporting quality...

Oh, that should also improve the monk weapons from other places (namely, the Oriental Adventures monk weapons and the Arms & Equipment Guide weapons, alongside other 3.5 sources). You know, let stuff like butterfly swords, twin hooked swords and three-sectioned staffs have their love too.
    On Raptor Arrows, it's specifically that ammo is normally destroyed upon impact, which Raptor Arrows specifically negates. I agree that the Raptor Arrow quality should have been available from the get-go but that's neither here or there.

Also, I was not aware of the teleporting quality. I suppose I should have guessed something like it existed, given the Telekinetic Boomerang power does, though that's awesome. I shall henceforth replace any returning weapons with teleporting ones henceforth, so I don't have to deal with the headaches of not moving when engaging in ranged combat so i get my ammo back or having intervening terrain negate returns. The only issue I see is in areas where teleportation is unavailable, though I believe there's magic gloves that empart returning, anyways, so no big deal.

I do look forward to seeing other monkish weapons getting some love, such as lajatangs, hooked swords and cutting wheels. They're great weapons, you just don't see them often, since they came out in late/obscure books of 3.5, plus the whole "Exotic weapons aren't worth it" thing that rears its ugly head when weapons aren't spiked chains, the bedamned stupid weapon that that is. I'd rather have a meteor hammer than one of those. At least I won't bleed trying to wield one...

Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

On Raptor Arrows, it's specifically that ammo is normally destroyed upon impact, which Raptor Arrows specifically negates. I agree that the Raptor Arrow quality should have been available from the get-go but that's neither here or there.
    Hence, "returning" projectiles. To have a projectile with the returning quality, you essentially have to negate the projectile being destroyed. But, the quality is best left as a weapon special quality, or as magic items that grant that quality.

That reminds me...conjuring arrows and Arcane Archer...

Also, I was not aware of the teleporting quality. I suppose I should have guessed something like it existed, given the Telekinetic Boomerang power does, though that's awesome. I shall henceforth replace any returning weapons with teleporting ones henceforth, so I don't have to deal with the headaches of not moving when engaging in ranged combat so i get my ammo back or having intervening terrain negate returns. The only issue I see is in areas where teleportation is unavailable, though I believe there's magic gloves that empart returning, anyways, so no big deal.
    Yeah, it's pretty awesome, although teleporting weapons don't return as a free action. Then again, returning should have worked like teleporting, homing to your destination after a move (and then teleporting weapons worked sorta like phasing, allowing you to cut the distance between user and target even if line of effect is broken). That way, both are useful and unique and one doesn't unfairly supplant the other :P

I do look forward to seeing other monkish weapons getting some love, such as lajatangs, hooked swords and cutting wheels. They're great weapons, you just don't see them often, since they came out in late/obscure books of 3.5, plus the whole "Exotic weapons aren't worth it" thing that rears its ugly head when weapons aren't spiked chains, the bedamned stupid weapon that that is. I'd rather have a meteor hammer than one of those. At least I won't bleed trying to wield one...
    From the top of my head: cutting wheels work like unarmed strikes in terms of how many damage you can deal (so you can start at 8th level dealing 1d10 slashing damage). Hooked swords have an implied TWF trait; I was going for reach, but then again that's what Flying Tiger grants. Not so sure about lajatang, but a close weapon (monk's spade) has the benefit of Whirlwind Attack (times two, so you deal two strikes with it a lá Adamantine Hurricane). Arguably, Monk's Spade was the hardest of the weapons in Secrets of Sarlona to deal with, since the rest was quite easy. Now, I just have to dig off my copy of Oriental Adventures and develop cool stuff for the monk special weapons in there (including, for some reason, butterfly swords which I oddly like, though not as much as a hand-and-a-half non-katana sword or a big zweihander).

UPDATE: Added the Art of Deadly Wind, Deadly Weapons and Art of Deadly Gale to the list. Since I was already almost at the 50k word limit, I had to trim most of my explanations (I know, I also feel it too) and edit a bit to retain clarity on most of the verbose abilities. While doing that, I noticed that there were two abilities that I had neglected adding: Resilient Body (yay, Resist Energy!! And then Energy Immunity!!) and Path of Denial (take that, Abrupt Jaunt!). As well, Path of Spiritual Chains was lowered to 10th level, which means that one level after everybody gets Freedom of Movement and Shadow Jaunt and all that, the Monk just spends ki and says "you were saying?" before grapple-beating you to oblivion. I guess I owed that to our little Monk, didn't we?
    Last edited by T.G. Oskar; 2010-10-04 at 09:30 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Looking through, you seem to be missing some action types in Resilient Body and Path of Spiritual Chains, at least, for spending Ki. I assume Resilient Body is Immediate and Path could either be Swift or Immediate, depending on whether you want it to be a 'No!' button or not.

Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

29. - Top - End - #29

T.G oscar Could you post the ac bonus,speed bonus,the Unarmed attack damage( for a large) creature at epic levels?Would it be to much to ask for you to post the damage for a huge creature as well?
    awesome avatar made by Trazoi
    Totem Cleric:A divine fighter that uses a totem which empowers him.

I will not have as much acces to a computer so I will not post as much.

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by monkman View Post
    T.G oscar Could you post the ac bonus,speed bonus,the Unarmed attack damage( for a large) creature at epic levels?Would it be to much to ask for you to post the damage for a huge creature as well?
    Well...I think I mentioned in another thread that I'm not so keen with the Epic rules, since they can be all sorts of mad stuff (specifically with spellcasters). However, like on that time, I accepted and gave a bit of a pointer on how to deal with epic characters. I'll do my best on that, but they should be pretty easy.

The AC bonus follows an irregular pattern, but by all means it's a mathematical pattern: at first it progresses every four levels, then later it progresses every three levels, ending with the last three levels giving a pretty swift progression. For epic, you'd progress AC pretty much every three levels, starting with level 20 (hence, you'd get progressions at level 23rd, 26th, 29th, 32nd, etc...)

Fast movement follows an even simpler progression: 10 ft every 3 levels. So, you'd advance speed at level 21st, 24th, 27th, 30th, etc.

As for unarmed strike damage, the Epic Level Handbook doesn't recommend increasing it (which means a Medium character stays with 2d10 damage, while a Large creature would remain with 4d8 damage. I can't tell you whether I'd increase the unarmed strike damage or not (which would also increase the damage of other weapons such as small throwing weapons and special monk weapons), but currently I incline to no increase to damage (otherwise, the next step of increase in Medium would be 3d8, while on Large it would be 5d8). So, epic Monks don't get an increase in unarmed strike damage, though they might get Improved Natural Attack if they want to at those levels.

Thus, it'd look something like this:
    {TABLE=head]Level|Special|AC Bonus|Speed Bonus
    21st|Bonus Feat|+6|70 ft.
    22nd||+6|70 ft.
    23rd||+7|70 ft.
    24th||+7|80 ft.
    25th||+7|80 ft.
    26th|Bonus Feat|+8|80 ft.
    27th||+8|90 ft.
    28th||+8|90 ft.
    29th||+9|90 ft.
    30th||+9|100 ft.[/table]

Where they'd get bonus feats every 5 levels, even if they don't get new class abilities, because of all the class abilities that improve (Ki power, wholeness of body, diamond soul, duration of unburdened path, duration of walk the river and the clouds, duration of empty body, effective CL of abundant step). As for art of the deadly wind and deadly weapons, the damage doesn't progress after 20th level (so a shuriken or a nunchaku for a Medium creature would stay at 2d6, and the same weapons on a Large creature would still deal 3d8), but the range increase of art of the deadly wind still applies (so you'd get an increase in range of 20 ft. at level 24th, 28th, 32nd, etc...)

As for damage with Huge creatures...well, that'd be a bit hard to deal with but the general result would be starting at 1d10, then progressing as if being a Medium character, alternating between a d8 and a d10 I'd say. Something like...
    {TABLE=head]Level|Huge Monk size damage
    1st-3rd|1d10
    4th-7th|2d8
    8th-11th|2d10
    12th-15th|3d8
    16th-19th|3d10
    20th|4d10[/TABLE]

Hopefully that'll work. Maybe this'll see a revision at any moment, so it isn't 100% certain.
    Last edited by T.G. Oskar; 2010-10-30 at 07:36 PM.