New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Still Not Safe #2 [M&M 2nd ed]

Emi hesitates, but only for a second.
    No - no matter what the consequences of us having to fight each other are, or of Clayton finding out, this is still worth it. I don't want my power to be taken away from me.

"Here you go." She takes the amplifier off and puts it on the table. "You know, if you're worried about any of us going rogue, despite how unlikely it sounds, or about the mind control thing, maybe we could install our own security switches in the amplifiers... Though that's not a job for this very moment, obviously."
    Last edited by Tengu_temp; 2009-12-15 at 06:47 PM.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #722
    Ogre in the Playground

"If we install our own security measures, in a situation where we'd want to use them--if one of us were to be compromised--then the compromised party could have access to the failsafe. I'm not sure what we can do about that, unfortunately..."
    My pronouns are they/them.

Avatar courtesy of Elagune's OotS manga reinterpretation!

3. - Top - End - #723
    Titan in the Playground

"I know, which is why we should make just one remote, and give it to someone we all trust not to go rogue or fall for mind control or other unnatural influence..." She looks around everyone gathered. "Well, there is no problem with the first condition, but I don't know about the second... Maybe making our own remote switch is not such a good idea after all, it's just inviting something bad to happen." She looks discouraged.

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #724
    Firbolg in the Playground

Curses. There goes his dream of leaving this place one day in the future and becoming a lone chicken themed wanderer in the name of justice, if they can easily shut the amplifier remotely. It's really lucky that they found this now.

"Friends can take care of friends."
    James copied Andy's phrase as he toy with his harmonica. "In case of roguish behaviour, mind controlled or otherwise, the other members can easily pummel some old fashioned disablement toward the offending member, don't you think so? So I vote nay for the addition of our own private panic button."

Don't panic James. This is why you trained yourself for social encounters. Go charm them tiger.

"My Sensei used to say, don't tickle the sleeping dragon, because it's stupid, and is not very productive. Uhm, I can't remember why did he said that or did he even really said that, but if ninjas can take care of rogue ninjas by themself without using some 'stop ninja power' button,' we can do that too. Without... dragons... uh..."

After the awkward pause he looked far away nonchalantly and then starts fiddling with his harmonica again.
    Last edited by Fri; 2009-12-17 at 11:39 AM.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

5. - Top - End - #725
    Ogre in the Playground

Todd nods his head in agreement, proud of his little James for speaking up. He places one hand on James shoulder and gives it a reassuring squeeze.

"Yeah, I have to agree with James. I mean, I trust you dudes with my life, don't get me wrong. But... the Green Wizard is my soul. It's me. I just can't agree with handing it over like that, ya know?"
    ParsonxMaggie Shipper in the Playground

6. - Top - End - #726
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, that was just an idea in case you're worried about what'll happen if someone gets mind controlled. If you don't like it then fine, it's even better that way - no need for installing our own devices in the amplifiers and all the hassle that comes with it."
    Despite her words Emi sounds kinda grumpy.
    Yeah, I realized it was a bad idea myself, you don't have to rub it in my face...
    Last edited by Tengu_temp; 2009-12-17 at 09:59 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #727
    Ogre in the Playground

"No, you have a good point." Todd isn't attempting to suck up or make you feel better. He seems rather serious, in fact. "It's just... too personal to give away, that's all." Todd scratches at the spot where his Amplifier was lightly. His arm felt too... light without it.

"Is it possible to, er." Todd trys searching for the right words. "To make it so that our Amplifiers will only work for us? Like, if it's not us using it it'll deliver a damn painful shock or something? Or not work at all?" A pause. "I hope that it'll never come up, but I don't want someone else tapping into there sou with my amplifier, ya know?"

8. - Top - End - #728

"That sounds too complicated to me," Cat opines. "What does it matter, anyway? There's nothing special about the amplifiers, is there? I mean, if two of us were to swap, we could still summon our armours the same, I thought." Of course, she knows full well that what's worrying Todd may be some entirely different and more nonsensical concern, so she doesn't particularly want to wait around for his response. With clear reluctance, she removes her amplifier and adds it to the queue in front of Lorne.

9. - Top - End - #729
    Ogre in the Playground

"Mm...I can think of a few ways to do something like that, but it would either be impractical to do without making it obvious that we'd tampered with our amplifiers, or interfere with the ability to summon your armor quickly, which could be important. Besides which, there are a few situations where being able to use each others' amplifiers could be a critical advantage."

Lorne says, as he works on the next amplifier.

10. - Top - End - #730
    Banned

Soon, the work on amplifiers is done - there was no difficulty once you knew what you were doing. If any of you return to Laura after that, the air is a little awkward but the rehearsing continues.
    "I will not tell anyone what happened, if you want to keep this a secret." She says, though.
    Speaking of which, did you offer to 'adjust' Laura's amplifier as well?

Is there anything in particular anyone of you wants to do during the few days before the conference? You may count this as a timeskip.

11. - Top - End - #731

James watches his friends disperse after the meeting ends. He then silently leaves the meeting room after making sure that nobody notices him.

A few minutes later, he stands in front of a door. The psychologist's office.

He coughs, and then knocks the door.

He waits for the psychologist's response, and then enters the room. After looking around for a while, he sits in front of her desk.

James struggles for a while before finally sighs and expells a straightforward question toward the psychologist.

"I'm sorry. I don't think we've ever met before but I guess you knew me already. I'm James Redford from the newest shifter team."
    he said uneasily. "I don't know who else I can ask about this, that's why I'm coming here.

...Do you know about brainwashing, miss?
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #732
    Banned

The inside of the room, and the psychologist herself, are just like during the first time most of the group visited her. Of course, James wasn't there at the time.

"Of course I know you, James. Would you like anything to drink?" The psychologist smiles warmly, not offering you a seat since you took one by your own already.

"Yes, I do know about brainwashing. My experience tells me that trauma, stress and other violent methods may turn even the most rebellious people into your slaves. Oh, I'm sorry - this sounds like if I was the one doing it." Her smile is a bit mischevious here, showing that she's joking.
    "So, I believe I'm capable of answering your question. Please, ask it. I think I know what it might be, but I'd rather you voice it yourself."

13. - Top - End - #733

James takes the glass nervously. He doesn't drink it though.

"How do they make people act like that? I mean, can brainwashing really make people kill themselves?"

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #734
    Banned

"I'm afraid it's true. A brainwashed person can even sacrifice their own life, if the brainwashing was good enough. But, I'm using an incorrect term here. If you say 'brainwash', that gives an impression of some kind of mind control machine or anything else out of a science fiction movie." The psychologist explains patiently.
    "It's all about feeding your subject appropriately skewed information. That's if the target wants to listen. And if not... you have to break them."
    Miss Darius looks a bit saddened as the talk continues. She probably knows why you came to visit her.
    Last edited by Cubey; 2009-12-20 at 03:07 PM.

15. - Top - End - #735
    Ogre in the Playground

After the rehearsing Todd does exactly what he said he was going to do. Rushing back to his room to grab some green nail polish.

"Alrighty Laura! So, how 'bout it? I do you and you do me? 'Cause this place is seriously lacking in the green department."

16. - Top - End - #736
    Troll in the Playground

Andy, on the other hand, seems remarkably less reluctant to hand over his amplifier, and doesn't seem too concerned about the whole panic button thing - he dislikes it, but he isn't worried, per se. To him, the God of War is a great, empowering tool that allows him to do what he always wanted, and he loves it - but, in the end, just a tool. He would not give it up quietly, of course, but if it comes to dire need...

Anyway, after the whole matter, Andy will go with Cat if she allows, comment on the whole thing, perhaps suggest to actually get that accursed rehearsing underway without further interruptions if possible... all in all, relative normalcy for him.

17. - Top - End - #737
    Ogre in the Playground

After fixing up everyone's amplifiers (and sending a quick message to Laura offering to remove the failsafe from hers, and doing so if she agrees), Lorne returns to the lab to continue working on the anti-invisibility device. Later on, he watches Evangelion and texts Emi: just saw what gendo made shinji do to toji D: really glad we dont have something like that

The next morning, he summons Aeolus and flies outside, looking to find Devon--shouldn't be too hard, he figures, between his sensory array and the fact that she seems to be constantly lurking outside to harass anyone who goes out alone.
    Last edited by Haven; 2009-12-20 at 05:11 PM.

18. - Top - End - #738
    Banned

Laura agreed to have her amplifier fixed as well.
    "If anyone discovers this, I will say that it was my idea."
    The rehearsal went without further complications. You practiced answering questions that your papers believe are likely to be asked. It makes the prospect of the press conference slightly less scary - you are now prepared.

"Are you sure? I am clumsy by nature... it's best not to let me do anything." Laura says once everyone but Todd leaves - or rather, after he leaves as well, only to return quickly. She lets him do her nails though.
    "Green clothes? You really like this color, don't you?" She is a bit surprised and amused.

Surprisingly, Devon is nowhere to be found. It's almost as if she knew that you are looking for her and decided to stay hidden just to spite you.

19. - Top - End - #739
    Ogre in the Playground

"Green is the color that best describes me." Todd nods a few times. "So of course I love it. Besides, it's damn sexy."

Todd does Laura's nails with practiced ease. While not having much artistic talent, he's done this enough to do it quickly and perfectly.

"Besides, everyone loves new cloths! So, how about it? The... day after tomorrow? At about... one?" Todd begins to paint the fingers on Laura's other hand, making sure each coat is even. "It'll be nice to have a passionate day of shopping anyways. Go to a swap meet or two, grab some new cloths. The works! So whadda ya say?"

20. - Top - End - #740
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cubey View Post
    Surprisingly, Devon is nowhere to be found. It's almost as if she knew that you are looking for her and decided to stay hidden just to spite you.
    After the thought comes to mind, Lorne reconsiders it. That's actually not too unlikely--if she can detect SEs, perhaps she can use the same mechanism to detect PSAs. And given her personality traits... He wonders about adopting Todd and Ben's "alone and unaware" methodology for getting in touch with her. (However, he doesn't consider the possibility of a causal relationship between the fact that he thought "this should be easy" before making the attempt, and its outcome.)

With that, he glides back into the base, unsummons his PSA, and gets on with his usual daily routine--a little exercise, and lots of time in the lab. He also sends Laura a text asking her to pass along his thanks to Devon if she sees her.

21. - Top - End - #741

Cat fills the time rehearsing, with occasional breaks to swim or relax with (or without) Andy and the "culture immersion" material. She's still got a few Lovecraft recommendations queued up, but since "work" for the time being means reading she skips those in favour of visual material. If Andy doesn't watch it with her, he has to field a few baffled questions after she watches Akira.

Although she'd like to spend some time training, she's taking the preparation for the conference too seriously to fit it in.

22. - Top - End - #742
    Banned

Todd:
    "Well... it will help us relax a bit before the conference, right?" Laura is thoughtful.
    "The local shops are a bit limited, and I don't think they would let us to the mainland at a time like this... but we can go shopping. We won't know how it's going to be unless we try."
    Last edited by Cubey; 2009-12-20 at 11:05 PM.

23. - Top - End - #743
    Titan in the Playground

After Lorne is done with everyone's amplifiers, Emi spends the rest of the day alone, killing time in her usual ways. She takes a brief look at the list of possible questions when she has nothing better to do, but she doesn't really prepare for the conference. She'd feel disgusted spending more time than strictly necessary on this PR stunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    Later on, he watches Evangelion and texts Emi: just saw what gendo made shinji do to toji D: really glad we dont have something like that
    "Yeah, good that our commander is much better. And the worst part is that this is not the worst episode, it's all just starting.", Emi texts back.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #744
    Ogre in the Playground

Todd:
    "Well... it will help us relax a bit before the conference, right?" Laura is thoughtful.
    "The local shops are a bit limited, and I don't think they would let us to the mainland at a time like this... but we can go shopping. We won't know how it's going to be unless we try."

"Indeed!"
    Todd grins and finishes painting Laura's nails. "Gotta let em dry before doing mine, alright?" With a nod, Todd sets the finger nail away and continues on. "Anyways. I'll ask around tomorrow to see about getting a ride to the mainland the day after. It's gonna be... so awesome."

25. - Top - End - #745

James grips his glass tighter.

"Heh. I don't know whether it's better or worse than simple mindwiping machine...

This is just hypothetically speaking. But... are there any way to... break someone's brainwashing?"

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #746
    Banned

Todd:
    "Well... I said I'm clumsy, you probably shouldn't let me do it. My hands are too shaky and uncoordinated..." Laura blushes slightly, lowering her gaze for a second.
    "Do you really think you can persuade someone to let you go to the mainland? I'm not trying to dissuade you, but... I wouldn't keep my hopes up."

James:
    "It's as easy as trying to make someone change their mind on a matter they weren't brainwashed about." Miss Darius sounds serious.
    "Which is to say, not easy at all. I'm sorry - maybe you expected a different answer, but you deserve to know the truth. But at least it is not impossible, so do not lose hope."

27. - Top - End - #747
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well... I said I'm clumsy, you probably shouldn't let me do it. My hands are too shaky and uncoordinated..." Laura blushes slightly, lowering her gaze for a second.
    "Do you really think you can persuade someone to let you go to the mainland? I'm not trying to dissuade you, but... I wouldn't keep my hopes up."
    "Nonsense!" Todd raises his hand in the air and points a finger towards the sky. Or ceiling, as the case may be. "You have a passionate heart and a fiery soul! You ja need ta know how to harness that power!"

Todd takes Laura's hand, runs his finger across her finger nail and nods as his finger didn't smudge the nail polish. Success!

"And of course I can talk 'em into it! I plan on doing it some time tomorrow, in the afternoon. Wanna join me? Anyways..." Todd hands Laura the finger nail polish "My turn!"

28. - Top - End - #748
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    Cat fills the time rehearsing, with occasional breaks to swim or relax with (or without) Andy and the "culture immersion" material. She's still got a few Lovecraft recommendations queued up, but since "work" for the time being means reading she skips those in favour of visual material. If Andy doesn't watch it with her, he has to field a few baffled questions after she watches Akira.
    Andy tries to answer as well as possible, of course, but fact remains that Akira is rather... peculiar, and so even the explanations need to be filled with assurances that he's not making it all up.

Otherwise, as said, he'll just keep to the routine during the timeskip ().

29. - Top - End - #749
    Troll in the Playground

Ben Brooks

Ben stuck to his training, splitting his time between PSA endurance and working out in the base gym or pool to train his human body for those times when he might be without his amplifier.
    Paladin, Green Lantern, and Cyrine by DarthRaynn!

“I've never believed in the End of Times. We are Mankind. Our footprints are on the moon. When the last trumpet sounds and the Beast rises from the pit -- we will kill it.”
    ― Travis Beacham, Pacific Rim: Tales From Year Zero

Spoiler
    Show

Kismet and Deadshot by kpenguin.

30. - Top - End - #750

"Thank you." James replies simply. "I... I guess I should leave soon. I have things to do."

James put the glass down. Surprisingly, it's not that bad, talking. He pauses as he opens the door.

"May I come here again sometimes?"
    Last edited by Fri; 2009-12-23 at 03:46 PM.

Spoiler
    Show