New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 153031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1487
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Still Not Safe #2 [M&M 2nd ed]

"I've had enough people not wearing pants today..."
    Emi takes a look at Lorne, to see how he's handling all of them being stuffed in a relatively small area.
    "So... like Amanda said, can we get to the reason we're here?"

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    Lorne's eyes widen slightly. Quietly, he responds "I see...the backup would be welcome, then. Though, if all of them know, it greatly increases the risk of a leak."
    "Apparently Elizabeth already knew. And knew that we knew - unless Anne was just paranoid enough to guess that on her own. Which she might have been." Cat looks a little troubled - maybe she should have pretended they knew nothing about the amplifiers? Well, even if that had occurred to her at the time chances were someone else would have messed up the deception.

At the 'meeting': "Apparently at least Elizabeth found out something we thought only those of us at Seeburg knew, and we only because Devon told us. There are remote shutdowns in the amplifiers. We don't know who put them there, so we didn't want anyone to know we knew, which is why we weren't spreading the knowledge around. And that's the important part. Lorne knows the most about the details." Cat deftly passes the buck, hoping she's defused the biggest things Anne might find to yell about.

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Banned

"It would be too much to say I found it out by myself..." Elizabeth comments. Because of her outfit, she takes even more place than everyone else - it doesn't help with the already crowded place at all.
    "I'm sorry if I interrupted you, but you should know. The one who told me about this is no one else but..."

"Yes. It is me." A door opens and someone enters. Someone you know well.

"Erick-san!"
    "Laura!"
    "How dramatic, wouldn't you say?" Comments by Akiho, Elizabeth and Akira respectively.

It is indeed Laura Ericks. She walks into the changing room (somehow finding place for herself), a serious expression on her face.
    "Don't worry. I will not tell anyone about this. And if anyone has issues with you knowing, you should tell them... to bring that to me. And I told Elizabeth about the amplifiers, because..." She takes a breath.
    "I think everyone has a right to know. Being a Shifter is a wonderful thing for many of you - you do not deserve to have this power taken away. Even if it is scary and dangerous at times... they wouldn't want that, would they?"

Who are 'they' that Laura is talking about?

4. - Top - End - #1174
    Troll in the Playground

"Okay, okay, timeout" Andy pipes up, doing the classic basketball timeout gesture. "No offense, Laura, but damn, you scared me, I though we'd been caught for a second. And who's this "they" you're talking about?"

5. - Top - End - #1175
    Banned

"Oh. Uhmm... I'm sorry about that." Laura suddenly looks apologetic and slightly embarassed. In other words, the usual.
    "I didn't mean to scare you. I was going here, and it was just a coincidence that I arrived at this moment."

"Are you sure it's just a coincidence?" Sara whispers towards the nearest person - Akira. They both nod, pondering their own genre-savviness.

"And, by 'them', I mean..." Laura gulps.
    "My old friends. Yelena, Adam, and everyone. They... they're no longer here, but they wouldn't like it if the power they used to save lives was sealed off because of some higher up manipulation. I mean!" She adds frantically.
    "I trust the Commander, I know he would never do something like this - but I don't know anything about his superiors. They're a very mysterious lot."
    Last edited by Cubey; 2010-02-22 at 12:45 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1176
    Titan in the Playground

Laura's revelation leaves Emi unable to speak for a moment. This is something she completely didn't expect - she thought Laura is 100% loyal to SECT and not really able to partake any important decision on her own, and now...
    I'm sorry, Laura. I misjudged you.
    She recovers from the initial shock and smiles friendlily.
    "There is no need to apologize or explain yourself, we understand. The commander would never do something like that on his own, he's not that kind of man. And... it's a good thing what you did. I'm sure it was exactly what your friends would've done, too. Thank you."
    Last edited by Tengu_temp; 2010-02-22 at 04:47 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #1177
    Ogre in the Playground

Lorne seems comparatively unsurprised at Laura's revelation. He stands in a corner of the crowded room, pressed into it almost as if he's trying to Shift through.

"Well...it's quite a relief to, to hear you'd be willing to intercede for us about this," Lorne tells Laura, his thankfulness coming through despite being tempered by his current nervousness. "I suppose Devon must have felt the same way that you do, or she wouldn't have informed us of the failsafe herself. Speaking of which..."

Lorne turns to the assembled Shifters. "It is a rather simple mechanism: inside the amplifier is a shard of Sophium, which comes in contact with the skin when the amplifier is activated and allows us to shift. The failsafe is simply a hatch that, when it receives a signal, locks down, preventing the Sophium from making contact."

As he speaks, he traces the shell of his amplifier, pointing to the parts as he refers to them. Not that it's particularly helpful, of course, since the parts are on the inside.
    My pronouns are they/them.

Avatar courtesy of Elagune's OotS manga reinterpretation!

8. - Top - End - #1178
    Banned

"Oh, so that's how it works. I take it, this shard is required to amplify power of what Sophium we already have in our bodies. Hence the name, amplifier."
    Elizabeth is the one to talk first after Haven's Lorne's explanation.
    "In that case, perhaps we should simply retrieve the crystal from inside the amplifier, and treat the rest as an expensive watch with some extra functions?"
    Last edited by Cubey; 2010-02-22 at 09:35 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1179
    Ogre in the Playground

"I had considered that...it would be risky, though. The shard was encased in a shell of Mixed Sophium, so removing the crystal might damage it--I'm uncertain if that would affect our PSAs or not." I wish I understood this business better.

"Also, it would be a bit more...severe, I think, if we were discovered."

10. - Top - End - #1180
    Titan in the Playground

Emi nods. "Mhm. Restoring status quo is one thing, and going out of your way to tamper with the amplifiers beyond how they were originally is another. It's better not to take that chance."

"By the way, is there anyone here who knows anything about those mysterious higher-ups? I wouldn't be surprised if that naked guy from before turned out to be one of them..."

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #1181
    Troll in the Playground

"I'd rather think he might be bribing them instead of being the real higher-up, myself. He spent a big chunk of the conference trying to wriggle his way into free-er access to SECT stuff, remember, so I doubt he really has commanding power" Andy notes from his sitting position.

"And yeah, it's true. I feel Clayton is a pretty cool guy" Andy debates with himself for a split second whether to say the meme or not. But three quarters of the people here wouldn't get it, most likely. "but from the dude's face lately and Frank's assertion that "he's been having to deal with the press and higher ups" was the main reason that Clayton looked like he was freaking undead, bet you five bucks they're not exactly reasonable and pragmatical people" he sighs.
    Last edited by Drascin; 2010-02-23 at 06:06 AM.

12. - Top - End - #1182
    Banned

"Hmm... is there anything else we can do then? Is there a way to disable the failsafe?" Elizabeth's tone of voice is inquisitive - it seems she focuses on the amplifier rather than SECT's top at the moment.

"He was only a sponsor, right?" Sarah speaks up.
    "That Dantoinne guy. If he was a higher up of Clayton, he'd say so... I think."

Nobody has anything to say about the mysterious leaders though. It seems nobody knows anything about them. Not even Laura, who as an experienced Shifter would be most likely to have knowledge in this area.
    Last edited by Cubey; 2010-02-23 at 08:12 AM.

13. - Top - End - #1183
    Titan in the Playground

"He might've been hiding that fact, for whatever reason - that's just in the style of mysterious figures high above to pretend they're much lower on the hierarchy." Emi totally didn't get this knowledge from manga and anime, no sir. "But it's just a hypothesis."

"So... what do we do now?"

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #1184
    Ogre in the Playground

"Mr. Johnson." Todd speaks up. "I don't know what the hell his plans are or who he is, but he's going to be a big enemy." Todd gives a quite 'hrm'. before continuing on.

"See, it's like... this. At the conference I made him look like a hero in order to keep him away from being a part of of SECT. But, you know, by doing so I made the public freaking love him. He can use that against us. I know he could because I could. It won't be as effective as what could have happened... but still."

Todd begins to ponder.

"I... wonder what I could do in a situation like that..."
    ParsonxMaggie Shipper in the Playground

15. - Top - End - #1185

"The answer is yes." Cat hesitates slightly before answering Elizabeth - but, well, full disclosure, and she continues smoothly without any sign she's leaving things out as she goes. "The amplifiers can be rewired so that the signal to shut them off will be ignored, and it'll alert us if someone tries. At least, we think so." She looks around at the others. "We did this because we thought the risk of it being misused was too high, if Thoughts of Ascension could get someone in to SECT or figure out the signal for themselves. But it means they can't be used legitimately either - if a team member goes berserk or gets mind controlled - which could happen. So before you ask how it's done, remember that you're taking responsibility for dealing with any situation like that on to yourselves."

Her reaction to Laura's entrance, beside surprise, is a mild relief. If she was the leak, then they should be all right, and it means the other teams aren't getting information through other channels which would raise all kinds of other questions.

16. - Top - End - #1186
    Banned

"But..." Someone who stayed silent until now speaks up. It is Matilda - until now, she was busy hiding in a corner almost as intently as Lorne.
    "The conference made him and us look good. If he uses it against SECT now, it will make him look like an ingrateful bastard. Hmm..." She pauses, suddenly looking very thoughtful.

"We are responsible enough to take up this burden. And there is also a risk Ascenders already are underway in their infiltration, and will lock us out as soon as they can. Disabling the safety... it's a risk we must take." Elizabeth's words are confident. Takeshi nods to that, while Akira explains the situation to his friends, in Japanese.

"I feel the same way as the young lady over here." He adds at the end of the explanation.
    "Will you be alright with this, Kazuma-kun?" And this is Akiho - the seriousness of the situation got even to her, as she's less upbeat and cheerful than usual.
    "Umm.. well..."

"We have no other sensible alternative. Disabling the failsafe is our only logical choice." The Japanese team's discussion is interrupted by a quiet but forceful voice - it is Usagi, saying her first words during the meeting.
    "Please, modify all our amplifiers to make them impossible to block remotely. We would be eternally grateful."
    She turns to Lorne as she says these words, and bows politely.

Her teammates are too surprised to say anything at the moment.
    Last edited by Cubey; 2010-02-24 at 06:08 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1187
    Ogre in the Playground

"But..." Someone who stayed silent until now speaks up. It is Matilda - until now, she was busy hiding in a corner almost as intently as Lorne.
    "The conference made him and us look good. If he uses it against SECT now, it will make him look like an ingrateful bastard. Hmm..." She pauses, suddenly looking very thoughtful.
    Todd gives his new friend a wave before speaking.

"That's true, yeah. But that's also the problem. See, like, when something loved by all screws up a great speaker can make it seem like nothing all that big happened. But it works both ways. When something loved by all screws up, a great speaker can make everyone hate it. You know, a big 'how dare out ideal shame us' or some other bull****."

Todd scratches the back of his head.

"And that's the problem. 'Cause Mr. Johnson is good." Todd decides to copy Andy and gives a reassuring wink. Which certainly could not be misconstrued. Nope, not at all. "Almost as good as me. So I don't see how he could let something like this pass him by..."
    ParsonxMaggie Shipper in the Playground

18. - Top - End - #1188
    Titan in the Playground

Usagi's reaction doesn't surprise Emi that much - only a bit, and she keeps it on the inside.
    Huh. I didn't expect these words from miss I Do What Others Expect Me To.
    "She asks you to modify their amplifiers, like you did with ours.", she translates for Lorne. "Oh, and she says she'll be eternally grateful. She'd probably get mad if I omitted this part."

As for the other part of the conversation, Emi doesn't comment, at least for now. But she does listen.

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #1189
    Ogre in the Playground

After Emi's translation, Lorne shares in the Japanese team's surprise at Usagi's sudden earnestness, but quickly regains himself and nods. "Of course. I should be able to do it now, actually. Normally I would need a bit more space, but..." He taps his amplifier. "I have something that should let me do without."

Quietly, he summons Aeolus, the only fanfare being a slight breeze that emanates from him. Sitting cross-legged in midar, he holds out his hand, causing winds to gather.

"This should be all I need." He demonstrates the precision of his telekinesis by unscrewing something from around the room, and then putting it back. He awaits someone to hand him an amplifier, and then starts performing the operation.

20. - Top - End - #1190
    Banned

"Umm, I mean that... there's a lot of jerks around, that guy can manipulate us into thinking we're the bad guys here." Matilda starts to mutter, embarassed upon seeing Todd's reaction. She's hard to hear though, because of a sudden noise whose source is:

"Usagi-chan!" A surprised but very happy Akiho. And soon after, Akira joins in.
    "Ohh, awesome... Miura-san, I commend your courage and determination! Allow me to be the first to offer my amplifier. If anything goes wrong, I will be the first to sacrifice myself!"

However, while he was monologuing, Lorne already finds an amplifier handed to him.

"H... here." It's Kazuma. He looks at it worryingly, then glances at the wrist where he used to wear it. Is he concerned about your success... or glad that he doesn't have to be a Shifter, if only for a short bit?

Lorne succeeds with re-adjusting the amplifier - the safelock is disabled. Others follow Kazuma's example, and you have no problem with fixing theirs' either.

"Thanks a lot." Unexpectedly, Anne has a half-smile on her face. She sounds satisfied, and also grateful.

Laura did not give her amplifier to you.
    "I don't think mine has any safety switch installed..." She shakes her head, if inquired about it.
    "After all, if it did... then Devon would have told me first."

21. - Top - End - #1191

"With that problem solved, may I say what's in my mind?" His voice suddenly breaks the silence.

"I... when you're doing what you were doing... I've been thinking about something else. And..."
    it looks like he has a lot of trouble saying what's in his mind.

"The old me, I won't talk about this at all. A few days ago, maybe, I'd just talk about this with Todd. But after everything that had happened... I realized that.. maybe. Maybe I can't solve everything alone.

We need each others. And this is the perfect time to talk about this, since we have everyone together here, and I don't know when we'll have another chance like this.

This... this might be stupid thinking. Just tell me if you think it's stupid.

Aren't you thinking.... Don't you think.... that we're just some kind of pawn? We're weapons to be used against the Shifter Entities, or the Thought of Ascencions, or something else. We just follow orders, move there, defeat the enemies there, and then go back home.

The... the recent incidents with Sarah made me think. Now what? I, we can't do anything now. Now we just sit like good boys and girls, wait for orders, as usual. I hate that.

I realize that we're just a bunch of teenagers with destructive power. The SECT, they have the resources to direct us, to think strategies, things like that. But I still hate to think that I'm nothing more than a knife to be directed to places that SECT thinks need to be stabbed. I'm not saying that SECT is bad. They give me reason to live, place to be, things to do. Maybe I'm paranoid, but as you say yourselves, we don't even know who our "higher ups" is.

I say... why don't we.... 'free' ourselves a bit. The thing that Lorne did... that's just part of it. Why don't we do more... ehm, independent researches at things that interest us, for example. Let's communicate to each other often, and if possible, in ways outside official SECT ways.

Let's not just be weapons to be directed by SECT's hand.

And let's do this together, as we all connected by this string of fate."

James then releases a big huff of air like he's been holding his breath for so long, and messes his own hair, looking embarassed at what he just said.

"Just tell me if it's idiocy, or just say it's just typical stupid teenage rebellion, and I won't mention it again."
    Last edited by Fri; 2010-02-25 at 06:58 AM.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

22. - Top - End - #1192
    Banned

"This is not rebellion. I agree - we must act together, and we must act on our own, or we are left behind." Akira nods. His face has a serious expression but he has a hot-blooded twinkle in his eyes.

"You're right. We can do so much more if we move independently... SECT limits what we can do." The second person to support James is Matilda. And the third is Anne:

"Yeah... I kinda feel the same way too." She turns her gaze away. Maybe she's irritated that she didn't think of this idea first?

"It's not that we move against SECT, this is only a declaration of doing our own stuff as well. I don't see anything wrong with this."
    "Umm... if you put it this way."
    "An independent hero team? I like the sound of that!"

Elizabeth, Amanda and Akiho respectively voice their opinions.

Usagi stays respectfully quiet, while Takeshi and Kazuma discuss this in Japanese.

"Won't everyone be angry with us if they discover this?"
    "Heh... like if there was anything to be angry about. We're going to do productive things, right? Not just mess around. So if anyone's angry that you're helping, just screw 'em." Takeshi gives his teammate a light pat on the back.

As for Sarah, her gaze is all excited and starry-eyed so no words are necessary here.

Finally, there's Laura. She stands there, her hand on her amplifier, and says nothing. But she has a concerned expression.

23. - Top - End - #1193

Cat frowns. "There's no harm in staying in touch. But there are a lot of people working hard to keep us secure. We shouldn't do anything to make their lives harder. For one thing, if we somehow gave Thoughts an opening it wouldn't just be us but ordinary SECT staff without PSAs to protect them who'd be in danger."

She cocks her head, looking troubled. "I've said it before... I know it feels like we're at loose ends a lot of the time, but I think it just comes with the territory. We have to be ready for an SE at any time, and when one shows up we have to go as fast as we can and fight as hard as we can to keep people from dying. That's a lot of responsibility! I think it's better to focus on that, even if the waiting is hard, than to try to take on worrying about everything else SECT has to deal with and find it's too much... I mean, you've seen how much just this conference has taken out of the Commander. I'm not sure I want to have all his worries on my mind too when I'm called on for a mission."

24. - Top - End - #1194
    Troll in the Playground

Ben Brooks

"I agree with James. I've been wondering about my role in this lately as well. We should also think about mixing up the teams a little, too, so we can get to know one anothers' capabilities. It might also shut Anne up about our team getting all the action and being better than her and all that noise." Ben added from where he leaned against a locker, not bothering to sugar-coat his words.
    Last edited by ChronicLunacy; 2010-02-25 at 12:09 PM.
    Paladin, Green Lantern, and Cyrine by DarthRaynn!

“I've never believed in the End of Times. We are Mankind. Our footprints are on the moon. When the last trumpet sounds and the Beast rises from the pit -- we will kill it.”
    ― Travis Beacham, Pacific Rim: Tales From Year Zero

Spoiler
    Show

Kismet and Deadshot by kpenguin.

25. - Top - End - #1195
    Troll in the Playground

Andy doesn't say anything important during the amplifier chat, meraly chatting around and confirming Cat's words to the people around.

"Heh" Andy grins after James speaks, however, and pats him on the shoulder. "Well, there probably is a bit of rebellion in there, yeah. But you do have a bit of a point. We should keep in touch, compare things, and not take everything at face value"

He does a gesture with his arms. Andy is not quite the impassioning speaker Todd is, but where Todd appeals to the gut, Andy somehow keeps managing to sound like a voice of reason. "So yes, it will be smart to keep in touch with each other. But not just due to distrusting the people up, or anything. Simply because, well, a dozen heads are always better than one, you know" he grins. "Plus, with the Ascenders going around like psychos, the ability to call on each other might be necessary in the future".

Then he turns more serious, and looks around. "But, trying to do too much is bad. For one, many of us are a bit given to a bit too much speculation" he grins, pointing at himself as a primary case to defuse any possible offense by that "and while thinking for yourself is good, paranoia is just shooting ourselves in the foot with a grenade launcher. So, no problem with some investigation on the side, but please, people, no obsessing over stuff, and no conspiracy theories unless we got more than gut feelings to go on, okay?" he looks at everyone in an accomplice way.

26. - Top - End - #1196
    Titan in the Playground

Unlike some of the others, Emi is less than excited about all this.
    "And I more or less agree with Cat here. You know why it feels like SECT points us at SEs and tells us to kill it? Because that's what we signed up for. This is not being a pawn, it's having a job. I don't like being kept in the dark, but let's wait for a situation where it's obvious they're hiding something from us, instead of rebelling just for the sake of it, just because you feel you're being used. It's not that I'm against staying in touch or gathering info on our own, but this whole conversation strikes me as being only a step away from 'SECT sucks, let's ditch them and go independent'."
    It doesn't take a detective to realize Emi has been easily irritable today.
    "But do what you want. Just don't give the commander extra trouble, he already has too much."

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #1197
    Banned

"We're not immature kids, going rogue the second a leash is off our necks. Well, most of us aren't." Anne gives a brief look in Todd's direction. But then she faces back Emi and Cat.
    "Think of it as extra-curricular activities."

28. - Top - End - #1198
    Troll in the Playground

"Emi and Cat do have a point, though. As I said, investigating a bit on our own to be more prepared for next time we get into one of these cluster****s, is A-OK. Going rogue off our own crackpot theories isn't" Andy says, very serious. "For one, remember that even if you don't like SECT or whatever, we are still the best SECT has, and the only thing between the aliens and people. We can't be losing ourselves around or rebelling out of flights of fancy - we have a very big duty with humanity" He looks at everyone.

"Remember, as it was already said - this isn't freeing you from responsibilities, it's saddling you with more. Because now you're the only people accountable for your behaviour while in armor. There's no failsafe now, and doing something stupid will force your own friends to batter the stupid out of you - which is something you really shouldn't be forcing your friends to do. So please, everyone, keep all this in mind".

29. - Top - End - #1199
    Ogre in the Playground

After completing the repairs, Lorne deactivates his armor and leans against the wall somewhat more relaxed, the traces of a smile on his face. I engineered something using sheer willpower...a bit of a rush, that.

When James makes his comment, Lorne stays silent as the others respond, taking some time to best phrase his reaction.

"Right. James, I think that is a...mischaracterization of our relationship with SECT. There are nontrivial issues of logistics that SECT accomplishes for us: SE detection, liaising with the government, transportation, coordination...the very basics of a mission would be much more difficult without their resources. In many ways they are the ones serving us, so I can't agree that we are their pawns, or that they limit us."

30. - Top - End - #1200
    Banned

"They are not ingrateful." Takeshi seems to possess an extraordinary ability - he looks alone and by his own even in the middle of a crowd. But now, he's different. It's as if he wanted to say an inspirational speech, and was a bit embarassed about it.
    "I agree with you. Don't run with wild thinking. However - we want to win this, we must do more than what Chief tells us. Nothing stupid or rash, only what you think about a long time and know that it is right. Why? Because we are treated like children. There are... things we can do, we have skill to do, but we're not allowed to do. Is everyone trying to protect us? I don't know. But we must prove we're more than children, we must act more. But we must act smart, not stupid."