New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 163132333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1487
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Still Not Safe #2 [M&M 2nd ed]

"As I said, if you think it's a stupid idea you should just say it." James keeps his cool guy facade. Although he's actually really nervous. As far as he can remember, this is his second attempt of actually trying to 'socialize' with someone... and his first try with Anne didn't exactly end well. But at least this time some people agree with him.

He nods.

"I agree. Maybe saying that we're pawns is too much. Maybe I was just too carried away. It's just a figure of speech anyway. And even I know that it's not exactly a well thought idea as well. I'm not the smart one here. That's exatly the reason why I ask for your opinions.

But still, I think some of my point still hold true. I can't think any downside of us acting slightly more independent, and as you said, in smart and responsible way.

We released SECT's hold on our amplifiers. isn't what we're talking about now the natural next step?

And I'm not being paranoid, I'm just careful. The recent attack made me realize. Nobody know what the thought of ascensions capable to do. Who can say that they hadn't infiltrate SECT or bugging our official communication line? Seriously, even SECT with all of their capability and resources can't even... can't even detain one girl or prevent her..."

He clenches his teeth.

"I've said everything that I wanted to say."
    Last edited by Fri; 2010-02-26 at 08:43 PM.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, how far exactly do you expect us to go? Need I remind you what we already did when it comes to independent actions?" Emi purposely stays vague - the other teams don't know about the database hack, and it's better if they didn't know yet. "If you always follow the next natural step, then little by little you're getting close to going too far."
    Despite her annoyance Emi can't help but feel for James - he has suffered the biggest loss of them all today, after all. She sighs and her voice and expression mellow a bit.
    "But if you don't go overboard it should be okay. Keep it smart and responsible, as you said, and it won't hurt, it can only help."

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #1203

Cat watches James carefully, but says nothing more. What is there to say?

4. - Top - End - #1204
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, I think that, in all honesty... we do go out and do a lot of things on our own, ya know? I don't think we should be SECT's little puppy dogs either, but I don't see any reason to leave them or whatever."

Todd nods his head and pats Jame's shoulder.

"But dude, if ya wanted to do some... independent research all you had to do was ask. I'm sure we'll all help you out. After all, that's what friends are for, right? Getting in loads and loads of trouble for each other."
    ParsonxMaggie Shipper in the Playground

5. - Top - End - #1205
    Banned

"I do not want you to do anything reckless." Laura's voice has a certain pleading quality to it.
    "This, I mean, removing the safety on your amplifiers, it was done so your powers would not go to waste. But putting yourself in unnecessary danger or going against the Commander's wishes is making them go to waste too!"

"I know you didn't get almost any action, and you're a bit unhappy about it." She addresses the other teams' members, giving them a worried look.
    "But don't do rash things only because of that."

6. - Top - End - #1206
    Banned

Nothing interesting happens after the meeting - not in the evening, nor in the next morning. You have a private flight booked to take you back to the headquarters - the Japanese team is coming with you (they still live there temporarily, remember?), but the Americans stay behind. They do see you off to wave good-bye - although Anne is very reserved and Matilda is visibly shy about it.
    Let's hope there won't be any huge crowds or protesters along the way. It certainly looks better than before - maybe a leave is not as interesting as an arrival? Or perhaps the local security is stricter this time, since the Thoughts of Ascension proved themselves capable of acting distressingly close to the place where you stayed at?

This time, Frank is coming with you. His wound is bandaged but he looks alright.
    The flight is uneventful. Soon, you land back at the lone SECT island...

(Do you do anything during the evening, or the next day - before, during or after the trip back to the HQ? Also, feel free to describe what your characters plan on doing the next few days. If there are no interruptions or sudden events, that is...)

7. - Top - End - #1207
    Titan in the Playground

After the meeting is over, Emi spends most of her time alone, both in the hotel and at the base. She mostly stays in her room, leaving it very rarely, and she doesn't wander around the island to visit her favorite spots like she does sometimes. Unlike during her normal bouts of loneliness, she actually puts effort into avoiding the attention of others this time, though not much - if anyone wants to talk with her, it shouldn't be hard to catch her. She seems to be embarassed about something, too.

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #1208
    Ogre in the Playground

Todd makes sure to say goodbye to his brand new super awesome friend Matilda, along with teasing Anne... which earns his a brand new slap/punch to the face.

He spends most of his time on the roof practicing in his PSA. However he does try to put some time on the side to spend with James and Laura. His training was going rather nicely, he thought.

Todd's plans for the next few days were also simple. Keep up his intense training with James, and try to get Laura to go shopping again. After all, training was good for the soul. And as for shopping... you can never have too much green.

He also tries to get her to buy Kermit the Frog pajama's.
    Last edited by Matar; 2010-02-28 at 11:19 AM.

9. - Top - End - #1209

Cat does nothing of note at the hotel unless someone else proposes it - she splits her time between reading coverage of the conference and aftermath and Blackstone Arts (and SECT's hierarchy generally), and reading one of the Lovecraft compendiums Andy loaned her.

Back at the island, she resumes her normal routine, to the extent that the rest of the island lets her. That is, she runs, swims, and reads. Without the pressure of the conference looming, she cuts down on research time and spends some of it out by the shore, in her armor, training. Said training consists of simply experimenting with her control of water, suppressing the impulse to gesture broadly and instead using precise mental control, and pushing the limits of how long she can keep her PSA active. So others hiking around the island might stumble upon the strange sight of a figure in medieval armor coated in ice, sitting cross-legged on a hovering sphere of water, seeming to do nothing while the sea dances and shapes itself around her.

If any of the rest of the team are agreeable, she spends some time in mutual training, too - not quite sparring, though with a little of that, but mostly focused on exploring the limits of and interactions between their powers.

10. - Top - End - #1210
    Troll in the Playground

Andy spends his time back at the hotel mostly chatting up with people, trying to get to know them better so he can have a measure of how they're taking things. The times he's not doing that, he's generally either sitting somewhere or laying in his bed, resting and reading.

Back home, though, he goes back to something slightly alike to normal routine, exercising and lazying around reading/gaming in equal parts - if with a bit more armor activity. Too many missions lately are starting to be in urban and otherwise man-made areas - he needs to perfect that weapon summoning thing to have a more trustable tool to use there. Bricks and metal beams are easy to work with, but asphalt is a no-no, and solid concrete gives him a headache... so he goes out with some metal plates that were laying around and tries to understand just how he's making these things have all those powers out of simple metal, and how to make sure he'll be able to do it if need arises. Because that thing in the station was just pure instinct, but Andy doesn't believe in instinct as a good guide - not his, at least.

It's in one of these many exits that he ends up finding Cat, and, obviously, approaches her, dismissing his armor and sticking a hand in the water, smiling, as he waves. If she's amenable, he'd of course love to help, and even offer himself as a test dummy if necessary - his armor is made of pretty tough stuff, after all. Mostly, from his perspective, it's a chance to enjoy Cat's company and find out more about the limits in these things at the same time. Win-win.
    Last edited by Drascin; 2010-03-01 at 05:53 AM.

11. - Top - End - #1211

When Andy finds Cat she's got two globes of water each the size of a small car up in the air and is making one orbit around a horizontal axis while the other orbits perpendicularly around the first. This is, naturally, rendering her cross-eyed, so the break he represents is welcome. Not quite going so far as to use him as a target dummy, she does test her attacks (in both precision and strength) against such clay pillars and rock golems as he can produce, and experiments to see what kind of structures they can produce by combining rock with ice (and for that matter water, which proves interesting if extremely confusing and hard to manage).

"I wonder when they'll resume our training," she says at one point. "We need to learn more about tactics, but I don't know should we try to organize ourselves or if they'll have the troopers back on the job soon instead."

12. - Top - End - #1212
    Troll in the Playground

Ben Brooks

Ben still avoided Laura for the most part out of lingering embarrassment over making a fool of himself, but spent the rest of his stay at the hotel getting to know the American team a little better. He even made some attempt to chat with Anne, if only to bury her inferiority complex just a little and get her to regard him as less of a competitor and more of an ally. He didn't let up on the sarcastic remarks if she chose to keep acting like a shrew. After all, he wasn't the type to just let people be jerks, and wasn't afraid to be a jerk right back to them.

Once back at the island, however, Ben spent the majority of his time pushing his limits in armor. He lingered on that one side of the island with the glass castle, trying to turn his abilities into precision instruments while pushing himself as hard as he could to break through any ceilings that he'd built over himself. He tried to fly faster, hit harder, and burn hotter, while staying encased in the armor even just a few seconds longer every time. Many nights he'd come back to the dorm only to pass out during dinner and start snoring at the table.

He did set aside some of his time to talking with the others; not just about Thoughts of Ascension and the SE's, but simply hanging out and trying to enjoy himself. He'd spent too much time brooding as of late and needed to spend time with friends or he'd never get out of his funk. The others had left him alone when it seemed like he wanted to be alone and allowed him to work through his problems, but now that things had quieted down Ben needed something besides his failed love life and work to occupy his mind. It was certainly better than just waiting around for the Commander to send them off on the next mission.
    Paladin, Green Lantern, and Cyrine by DarthRaynn!

“I've never believed in the End of Times. We are Mankind. Our footprints are on the moon. When the last trumpet sounds and the Beast rises from the pit -- we will kill it.”
    ― Travis Beacham, Pacific Rim: Tales From Year Zero

Spoiler
    Show

Kismet and Deadshot by kpenguin.

13. - Top - End - #1213
    Banned

Anne was only moderately grumpy... when dealing with Ben, at least. Predictably, Todd received quite a punishment from her - a slap, and then some.

"Make sure to visit me if there is anything that troubles you. I can't force you to come, but I strongly encourage you to do that." The psychologist tells each and every one of you, once you land back at the base.

The next days are strangely calm. It's as if nobody has anything to be afraid of after the conference, so they all are relaxed now. There are still no classes, nor organized training - you have to train by yourself.

The Commander returns the day after you did, so you can visit him. He is a busy man and does not meet you by his own initiative though.
    The SECT troopers you know have no time for meetings either - you can spot them here and there if you're actively out on a look, but they're busy and on the run. This seems to apply only to the MSAS squads though.

Laura visits each of you, during the time when she suspects you're in your rooms. If let in, she stays for a quiet and somewhat awkward conversation. It's casual though, and the topics are about unimportant things.
    She excuses herself from shopping, saying that she will be occupied at the time.

Sara is busy observing the public reaction to the conference. Mostly on the internet - and according to her reports, which she gives with all due seriousness, it seems SECT's reputation has risen. Rather than bashing it for being "evil", people mostly wonder about many strange occurences that happened in Brussels at that time. Most critics changed their strategy from accusing the organisation of dubious morality to accusing it of incompetence, since it allowed Thoughts of Ascension to act so close to the conference hall. The "Save Benjamin" movement somewhat wanes in popularity, but it's still there.

As for the Japanese team...
    The only ones who actively seek others' attention are Akiho and Akira, the former sometimes dragging Kazuma along for the ride. Akira seems to gravitate towards fellow nerds, and hopes to share his experiences about manga, anime and video games with them. But he also offers that his group will keep eyes peeled for everything suspicious, involving Ascender activity.
    "I promise. Just leave it to us!"

As for Akiho, she mostly just wants fun.

Four days after the conference, the Japanese team has to leave. You know that in advance - feel free to react, say good-bye or anything like that.

(Everyone survived the conference and its unexpected circumstances, and thus receive 2 power points.)
    Last edited by Cubey; 2010-03-01 at 03:08 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1214
    Titan in the Playground

Sara is not the only one who checks the internet for reactions and opinions on the conference and following events.
    Hmm, good. I expected the internet to be more of a hate machine, but guess I was mistaken.

On one of the rare occassions when Emi moves further away from her room during these several days, she's out shopping in the mall. She mostly buys food, but not exclusively - she's secretive about the other stuff though. Nevertheless, this gives others an opportunity to meet her, be it before, during, or after when she's returning.

Emi is aware of the time of the Japanese team's departure, and she's there to wave goodbye to them. They might not be close friends, but she doesn't dislike them.

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1215
    Ogre in the Playground

Todd makes sure to give the Japanese team a hug, or at least try to. He had forgotten to do so with the American team, and he was going to make up for it!

With twice the hugging power!

He didn't have much to say, mind you. He didn't really know them all that well. But hugs speak for themselves!

Afterwards, assuming nothing amazing happens, he sends Matilda an Email. He had... forgotten to do so for the past few days, and thought he should see what was going on.

He also abuses the **** out of smilies. And green. Oh god the green.

Hey! =3 What's going on? This is Todd, in all his email glory! :DDD just wanted to see what you and the rest of the team was up to. xD Everything going good over there??? Anyways, here's hopeing you get this and some net demons don't take this away *Hugz for all* -Todd
    Last edited by Matar; 2010-03-01 at 06:07 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1216
    Ogre in the Playground

Lorne retires to his room for the rest of their stay in the hotel (though he gives the Americans a friendly goodbye). On returning to the base, however, he's a bit less seclusive. He spends much of his time in the lab, doing typical research and data-crunching, but there are several exceptions:

Soon after they get back, he sends an email to the psychiatrist, attempting to keep his tone clinical to distance himself from the contents: Phobia overcame me in battle, resulting in fleeing at maximum speed. Strong feelings of inferiority and failure; I have not repaid the trust and care SECT invested in me. Still, want to reach out to friends after this, but my methods are limited. He hits send and lays back. He also sends an email (to security or PR or whoever would be in charge of this) asking how much he can tell his parents about the events of the conference and the encounter with Thoughts of Ascension.

The day after they return, he texts Emi. hey. wasn't there a show you were recommending to me? :)

Before the Japanese team leaves, Lorne approaches Takeshi and offers to play chess with him.

At some point, he emails Todd. Todd, there's something I've been meaning to ask. During both my fight with Takeshi and again when Dantoinne appeared, I attempted to come up with a witty rejoinder only to fall critically short. This is almost certain to come up again, and I need to shore this area up. I know if there's anyone to ask it's you, so just how does one banter successfully?

He also agrees to Cat's "mutual training", heading out to the water surrounding the island in his PSA. He starts by analyzing her and allowing his armor to adapt. "You were correct before, you know--when you suggested I see how my phobia affects me in my armor. If I had agreed...I could have traded a panic attack on the battlefield for one in a controlled environment."

He invites Andy to work out with him at some point.
    Last edited by Haven; 2010-03-02 at 05:43 AM.
    My pronouns are they/them.

Avatar courtesy of Elagune's OotS manga reinterpretation!

17. - Top - End - #1217

Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    He also agrees to Cat's "mutual training", heading out to the water surrounding the island in his PSA. He starts by analyzing her and allowing his armor to adapt. "You were correct before, you know--when you suggested I see how my phobia affects me in my armor. If I had agreed...I could have traded a panic attack on the battlefield for one in a controlled environment."
    Assuming he tells her what he's doing, Cat is of course curious as to the results of his analysis and what it tells her about her own weak points. She starts out easy enough, playing catch with a mass of water to see how much capacity their respective powers have and to get used to blocking and redirecting objects being controlled by others. It's a task that requires concentration but allows conversation.

"You didn't reject the idea. We just didn't have time to try it. Events caught up with us, that's all." There's an element of detachment to her speech, since of course her body language has her completely focused on the back-and-forth of their training, not that their armors would let them make real eye contact in any case. Whether Lorne finds this off-putting or reassuringly low-pressure is a matter of temperament.

"We can still try it at some point. Of course, it depends on how you think you'd react. Just say what you want to do, when you're ready." Cat smiles, which can be heard in her voice even if her visor shows no change (or does it, to Lorne's vision? ...Hey, how much can he see, huh?). "If you want, I can start chucking snowballs at you right now."

18. - Top - End - #1218
    Troll in the Playground

Andy thoroughly enjoys himself with the training, always going for broke and trying always that bit harder than the last attempt, and laughing the couple times he ends up messing up something and it falls on his head. But on the whole, the session ends up fairly illuminating.

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    "I wonder when they'll resume our training," she says at one point. "We need to learn more about tactics, but I don't know should we try to organize ourselves or if they'll have the troopers back on the job soon instead."
    "Yeah" he says, stopping for a moment as they make a break, tired, but content with the results up to now. "I mean, if that escapade last time shows something, is that we seriously need to coordinate a bit better. And everything I know about tactics, I learned from videogames, which probably aren't quite applicable to reality" he jokes.

"Really, I'm thinking we really should have a leader or some way to decide who goes for which objective other than individual initiative, 'cause the problem last time was that everyone wanted to help and we kind of piled up on each other, instead of distributing jobs" he says. He then adds, back to joking tone "I mean, we are a lot of dudes, we really should be able to do two things at the same time at least!"

--------------------

He also has no problem with going with Lorne for some exercising rounds - making small chatter all the while, and generally joking around in that standard semi-teasing, but good-natured Andy way (up to and including friendly winks on stuff like "so, how are Emi and you doing lately, then? " that are almost certain to make him fumble a bit. He can probably sense how Lorne is a bit troubled and might be wanting to cheer him up - and bond a little bit in the meantime.

--------------------

As for the Japanese team, Andy does find it entertaining to share some time with Akira as a fellow total nerd. The fact that Andy probably knows more than the actual Japanese kid about Toku shows is probably surprising to him, though.

And so, when they go, Andy's there, waving goodbye - though knowing that it's certain that they'll meet again, he simply shakes hands and wishes them a good travel, not getting too caught up in the goodbyes.

"Later then, guys! See you in a while, and keep well!"

19. - Top - End - #1219

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    "Really, I'm thinking we really should have a leader or some way to decide who goes for which objective other than individual initiative, 'cause the problem last time was that everyone wanted to help and we kind of piled up on each other, instead of distributing jobs" he says. He then adds, back to joking tone "I mean, we are a lot of dudes, we really should be able to do two things at the same time at least!"
    "Hmmm. You might be right. Command give us our head enough that we can't rely on getting very specific orders from them," Cat agrees. "Some training like this will help too, though, I think, if we get a better measure of one another's strengths.

"I suppose Lorne would make the most sense in that role, then. He'd be the best at making plans, and Todd will listen to him as much as to anyone else. Could make it an even bigger problem if he has a panic attack, though."

((I suppose it would make the most sense for this conversation to take place before the one with Lorne? And oh yeah, forgot to include this bit earlier.))

Quote Originally Posted by Cubey View Post
    Four days after the conference, the Japanese team has to leave. You know that in advance - feel free to react, say good-bye or anything like that.
    Cat sees the Japanese team off with no particular fanfare, going through the pleasantries you'd expect - grateful for their help, hopes for their safety, see each other again soon enough. She does end up with a collection of JPop from Akiho that the other girl had insisted on trading her for a copy of a few of her own favourite albums. Cat can't even quite remember how the exchange had gone.

She's not sure, but she thinks the Japanese girl had promised to send her (or them all) something once she got home, too, very enthusiastically. She's just hoping it's candy or something else innocuous, not... any of the several other, weirder possibilities that she's becoming dimly aware of through osmosis from the rest of the team.

20. - Top - End - #1220
    Titan in the Playground

The day after they return, he texts Emi. hey. wasn't there a show you were recommending to me? :)
    Emi's response comes soon.
    "True! Even of the East, right? Where are you, the lab, your room? I'll be there to lend it to you soon."

Because of all the unhappy things that happened I completely forgot about it...
    Assuming that Lorne had nothing against it and gave her the real location, Emi is there to knock at the door soon. She's wearing the same dress and jacket as she did when the very first SE attacked, and she has the DVD in question with her, as promised. She looks more upbeat than usual lately, but also a bit uncomfortable for some reason.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #1221
    Ogre in the Playground

At some point, he emails Todd. Todd, there's something I've been meaning to ask. During both my fight with Takeshi and again when Dantoinne appeared, I attempted to come up with a witty rejoinder only to fall critically short. This is almost certain to come up again, and I need to shore this area up. I know if there's anyone to ask it's you, so just how does one banter successfully?
    Todd emails Lorne back, although it takes awhile. He... hardly ever checks the damn thing. It just feels weird communicating to someone via email. At least smilies take some of that weirdness away though!

Time to be a helper! =3 Okay, first. As in 1st. Uno. I spell that right? I bet not... =( ANYWAYS. You need to practice. If you feel awkward then it just won't be as effective =/. Practice in front of a mirror, try insulting yourself. It's good practice, it feels really awkward at first, and it helps you get a tough skin of iron. Or steel. Or green. Whatever you think is tougher (It's green )

2nd! Or... 3rd! One of them xDDDD Work on your own style. See, me? I go for energetic and cocky. Lol penis. That style works best for me Ben has a very angry, jerky way of insulting people. Devon, and I am so sure she knows this, acts 'better then you' and uncaring to everything.

4th! Or whatever the number is =( quick thinking. But I'm sure that won't be a problem for ya. Just... try not to over-think things either. =|

22. - Top - End - #1222
    Banned

Lorne discovers that the science staff at the labs is discussing something. Apparently, SECT is working on new weapon systems for on-foot use. But the research is not performed in the headquarters' R&D: they wonder why, and some say they're jealous. That's as much you can get until the whole gathering is shoo'ed away to their respective works, for gossip is inproductive.

During the Lorne vs Cat sparring, Lorne's nemesis power indeed allows to immunize himself against Catriona's cold-based attacks. That makes any mock battles rather one-sided...

Takeshi didn't take up the chess offer.
    "I don't know how rules." He says. It sounds genuine, rather than just an excuse to brush you off.

"I will not be defeated. Next time we meet, my knowledge will be stronger than yours!" Akira punches Andy playfully, then laughs. You two had a great time talking about geeky things.

Responses to Lorne's questions:
    "You can't expect to have your phobia cured instantly. It takes time, and progress is gradual. There is nothing wrong or weak about it having overcome you in stressful, dangerous situations. You didn't reach that level of mastery over it yet - but if you give up, you will never reach it. So don't get discouraged. I am glad that your resolve is still strong: just keep at it and I'm sure you will succeed."
    That was the psychologist. As for the security:
    The conference was an open event. You are allowed to disclose everything about it to other people, with the exception of security measures used. As for the later Thoughts of Ascension attack, you're not allowed to tell anyone anything about it other than that it took place, and that nobody was seriously wounded.

During the parting:
    You're not the only ones present, as there is also Laura, the Commander, and several attendants and security guards.

"That was so fun! I'll miss you! Bye, bye!" Akiho is waving furiously, like her usual self, and also trying to contain her tears. Isn't that a bit too melodramatic?
    As soon as Todd starts to try to hug people, she intercepts him in a giant glomp. Because the two are embraced so strongly, and she's not letting go (at least for a while), your opportunity to hug others is ruined. The rest looks amused at the situation, even the Commander smiles lightly.

"We'll stay in contact. Farewell, fellow champions of Justice!" Akira offers a salute. You're not familiar with it, so it's undoubtedly stolen from one wartime drama or the other.

"See you." Takeshi is laconic as usual. He adjusts his beanie so that you cannot see his eyes' expression.

"Umm... goodbye." Kazuma tries his strength in English too. He looks relieved today - is it because he's leaving? Or was he feeling better during the last few days, and you simply couldn't judge as he was holed up somewhere all the time?

As for Usagi.
    "Thank you very much for having me and my friends during these difficult days." She bows gracefully to everyone. Her voice is calm and serene.
    "I do not know if this country has a custom of presenting parting gifts from the guest, or the host. Please do not be offended if I commited a faux pas. I want to thank you for your hospitality."
    Indeed, there is a small pile of wrapped gift boxes that she is carrying. Each box is presented to a person who is around - you all get one, although neither Laura nor the Commander receives a gift. Apparently she wants to give presents only to people roughly her age. And with each present given, she says the same thing (not that most of you can understand it):
    "Thank you. I really learnt a lot."

Emi can feel that Usagi's current calmness is at least partially calculated. Behind it, she feels satisfied... and a little bit worried.

"Buh-bye! It was a fun time. If you meet any baddies in Japan, kick their butts!" Sara overcomes the urge to unpack her present on the spot, and instead focuses on saying some hot-blooded good-byes.

If you check Usagi's present, inside you find a small but high-quality item. She preferred classiness to functionality, so it's probably a piece of jewellery, a small bottle of perfume or cologne, or maybe a watch (especially for the guys). You can decide what she gave you on your own, but regardless of that the item looks high-quality, and quite expensive too.

The Japanese Shifters board the plane and leave the base soon after.
    Last edited by Cubey; 2010-03-02 at 04:02 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1223
    Troll in the Playground

"Hmmm. You might be right. Command give us our head enough that we can't rely on getting very specific orders from them," Cat agrees. [COLOR="Blue"]"Some training like this will help too, though, I think, if we get a better measure of one another's strengths.
    "Yeah. We need to do it with everyone then, though" he wonders. Then grins and jokingly does a fist-pump motion "Woo, free for all! ".

"Nah, now seriously, we'll probably need to do some group training, to know each others' abilities and learn to coordinate. Who knows, we might even make ourselves a nice combination attack!" he grins.

"I suppose Lorne would make the most sense in that role, then. He'd be the best at making plans, and Todd will listen to him as much as to anyone else. Could make it an even bigger problem if he has a panic attack, though."
    "Yeah, he'd be my first pick, but we might need to hammer into him the need to actually give orders before it works. Guy's a bit shy" Andy nods. "But we do have a pretty big hammer to work with, on that, so I'm sure it'll be alright. My second choice in the meantime... well... probably you, really. You're the only other person here who knows how to keep a cool head when stuff goes down" he compliments her - which, while absolute truth and what Andy believes completely, is still a bit embarrassing to say for him, given who he's saying it to.

-----------------

Andy returns Akira's punch playfully. "You're gonna have to wake up pretty early to mess with this geek, pal!"

He's pretty surprised at the little present by Usagi, though. "Wait, what? You seriously shouldn't have..." he says as he takes it, obviously pretty weirded out, but not ungrateful.

And so, that's that, and the Japanese team goes as they have to them. Andy opens his present, which is a pretty nice digital watch. "Neat! I broke my old one soon after entering SECT, so a new one is quite welcome" he says, as he dons it.
    Last edited by Drascin; 2010-03-02 at 05:12 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1224

"Yeah, he'd be my first pick, but we might need to hammer into him the need to actually give orders before it works. Guy's a bit shy" Andy nods. "But we do have a pretty big hammer to work with, on that, so I'm sure it'll be alright. My second choice in the meantime... well... probably you, really. You're the only other person here who knows how to keep a cool head when stuff goes down"
    Cat is quiet for a bit, inscrutable in her armor. "That's nice of you to say, but aren't you leaving yourself out? For one thing, most of the others would probably be more inclined to listen to you. Or maybe just Todd, but he counts as a few people." She sighs. "The other side of it will be keeping a handle on James... I can't help but suspect he's going to be even worse after this thing with his friend."

During the Lorne vs Cat sparring, Lorne's nemesis power indeed allows to immunize himself against Catriona's cold-based attacks. That makes any mock battles rather one-sided...
    No doubt Lorne looks very smug for a few seconds after he sees the result of his adaptation, before Cat chucks a couple of tons of ambient-temperature seawater at his face to remind him that she's not entirely a one-trick pony.

---

She's surprised by Usagi's gift, but accepts it graciously. Her real surprise comes when she opens it in her room later to find a very nice necklace - a small snowflake in silver, set with a blue gem like a waterdrop that she assumes is sapphire, not that she could tell if it was some other mineral. Though small, it looks both pricey and more tasteful than she would honestly have given the Japanese girl credit for. She doesn't wear it, though, storing it away for a special occasion.

25. - Top - End - #1225
    Titan in the Playground

"Take care. I don't think anyone would mind if you pay us a visit in the future." Emi waves goodbye to the Japanese team. She's neither sad nor happy that they leave - she does feel kinda relieved that the thread of Akiho latching on at the least opportune moment is over, but on the other hand she likes Akiho, so it evens out.

"Um, thanks a lot." Emi knew that they will probably receive gifts, but she didn't expect such expensive-looking ones as what Usagi gives them. "There's no such custom here, but it's not a faux pas. Everyone is probably surprised that you gave them gifts, but also happy."

I wonder what was she worried about. The fact that someone might not like their gift? Might be. Emi waits for the Japanese team to leave before checking what she received in the sanctuary of her room, later. Turns out it's brand perfume. She checks how it smells.
    Pretty nice... But am I old enough to use this? Maybe for a more formal event...

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #1226
    Troll in the Playground

Cat is quiet for a bit, inscrutable in her armor. "That's nice of you to say, but aren't you leaving yourself out? For one thing, most of the others would probably be more inclined to listen to you. Or maybe just Todd, but he counts as a few people."
    Andy simply shakes his head. "Nah. Yeah, I can deal with Todd, but I don't really work as a leader. I get too worked up. Remember the station? I literally went berserk" it sounds like he's more than a bit ashamed at that.

She sighs. "The other side of it will be keeping a handle on James... I can't help but suspect he's going to be even worse after this thing with his friend."
    Andy sighs a bit as well, but then he smiles a bit again. "Yeah. Well, I can sympathize. If someone like the Ascenders had taken someone close to me, I'm not sure I could stop myself from going on a rampage. But, you know, I actually think he's doing a bit better. Remember that little cloak-and-dagger reunion we had a couple days ago? He actually spoke up, and paid attention to what the others said. I think he's starting to find a bit more purpose and certainty. And, odd and unbelievable as that may sound, I'm pretty sure the main reason for that happens to be green" he chuckles.

27. - Top - End - #1227

Andy simply shakes his head. "Nah. Yeah, I can deal with Todd, but I don't really work as a leader. I get too worked up. Remember the station? I literally went berserk" it sounds like he's more than a bit ashamed at that.
    "You reacted like a human being to a horrible situation. I think the rest of us were a little in shock. Don't beat yourself up for not doing the same." Cat's response comes quickly. If it wasn't reassuring Andy it'd almost sound defensive. She's quiet for a beat, then chuckles, a little forced. "Guess I'd better try hard to persuade Lorne, then, if the alternative is that I get stuck with the job. You mentioned a hammer?"

28. - Top - End - #1228
    Banned

Two days after the Japanese team departed home, you receive a notice: class and PE will return soon. That's not all though, as PSA training will continue starting next Satursday as well.

The following days are peaceful. You received an e-mail from the American team, but they found nothing of interest. If SECT is acting against Thoughts of Ascension, they stay quiet about it. Overall, you have a lot of free time: time you can spend relaxing; or training; or trying to talk with Laura, the Commander and other people on the base; or perhaps trying to snoop around in search of clues that will help you deal with the dangers better. The choice is yours.

(You can post assuming there's at least one week during which nothing happens. Unless you create an interesting situation of your own, that is. Also, feel free to respond to previous events in your posts if you wanted to, but didn't already do so.)

29. - Top - End - #1229
    Ogre in the Playground

No doubt Lorne looks very smug for a few seconds after he sees the result of his adaptation, before Cat chucks a couple of tons of ambient-temperature seawater at his face to remind him that she's not entirely a one-trick pony.
    "Oof! Well, I suppose we can't guard against everything," Lorne says, punctuating this with a telekinetic jab in the back of her shoulder-armor.

He also has no problem with going with Lorne for some exercising rounds - making small chatter all the while, and generally joking around in that standard semi-teasing, but good-natured Andy way (up to and including friendly winks on stuff like "so, how are Emi and you doing lately, then? " that are almost certain to make him fumble a bit. He can probably sense how Lorne is a bit troubled and might be wanting to cheer him up - and bond a little bit in the meantime.
    At first, Lorne seems rather uncomfortable with the situation--but he gradually adjusts, even seeming a little more comfortable than usual, the exercising giving him an outlet for the nervous energy he seems to carry around all the time. In fact, when Andy gets to that particular remark, Lorne replies, "About the same as you and Cat, of course" without breaking his stride.

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    Emi's response comes soon.
    "True! Even of the East, right? Where are you, the lab, your room? I'll be there to lend it to you soon."

Because of all the unhappy things that happened I completely forgot about it...
    Assuming that Lorne had nothing against it and gave her the real location, Emi is there to knock at the door soon. She's wearing the same dress and jacket as she did when the very first SE attacked, and she has the DVD in question with her, as promised. She looks more upbeat than usual lately, but also a bit uncomfortable for some reason.
    Lorne opens the door to his room, wearing a sleeveless shirt with a buttoned shirt (currently unbuttoned) thrown over it. "Ah, thanks, Emi," Lorne says with a smile as he takes the DVD.

Her uncomfortableness then registers on him. "...something wrong?" he asks, a little uncertainly.

Lorne discovers that the science staff at the labs is discussing something. Apparently, SECT is working on new weapon systems for on-foot use. But the research is not performed in the headquarters' R&D: they wonder why, and some say they're jealous. That's as much you can get until the whole gathering is shoo'ed away to their respective works, for gossip is inproductive.
    Hmm...it seems like Frank was already issued such a weapon. I wonder if it came from this project, or something else...

Lorne heads to a workstation and starts going over the telemetry from the previous battle. In particular, he tries to get some insight into how the knight created the tower out of nowhere--bringing up some of the data of Emi using her power to compare and contrast.

Spoiler
    Show
    If a Knowledge-Physical Sciences roll is called for: (1d20+15)[26]

Quote Originally Posted by Cubey
    Takeshi didn't take up the chess offer.
    "I don't know how rules." He says. It sounds genuine, rather than just an excuse to brush you off.
    "Ah...that's alright. I can show you, if you'd like," Lorne says, though not forcefully.

Responses to Lorne's questions:
    "You can't expect to have your phobia cured instantly. It takes time, and progress is gradual. There is nothing wrong or weak about it having overcome you in stressful, dangerous situations. You didn't reach that level of mastery over it yet - but if you give up, you will never reach it. So don't get discouraged. I am glad that your resolve is still strong: just keep at it and I'm sure you will succeed."
    That was the psychologist. As for the security:
    The conference was an open event. You are allowed to disclose everything about it to other people, with the exception of security measures used. As for the later Thoughts of Ascension attack, you're not allowed to tell anyone anything about it other than that it took place, and that nobody was seriously wounded.
    Lorne feels reassured at the psychologist's words. Having gotten the notice about security, he writes a letter to his parents, mentioning that he's making friends with the rest of his team even if some of them are a bit strange (though in fairness, so is he). He also discusses the conference (leaving out the Sophium wires and such, of course) and his feelings about it--that though he was extremely nervous, the event itself went well despite the "interruption"--and then reassures them that he wasn't hurt in the attack. He closes off with "Miss you, miss home, Lorne."

"See you." Takeshi is laconic as usual. He adjusts his beanie so that you cannot see his eyes' expression.
    Lorne gives Takeshi a respectful nod.

"Thank you very much for having me and my friends during these difficult days." She bows gracefully to everyone. Her voice is calm and serene.
    "I do not know if this country has a custom of presenting parting gifts from the guest, or the host. Please do not be offended if I commited a faux pas. I want to thank you for your hospitality."

Indeed, there is a small pile of wrapped gift boxes that she is carrying. Each box is presented to a person who is around - you all get one, although neither Laura nor the Commander receives a gift. Apparently she wants to give presents only to people roughly her age. And with each present given, she says the same thing (not that most of you can understand it):
    "Thank you. I really learnt a lot."
    "Ah, thank you," Lorne says, and bows stiffly to Usagi. Later, he unwraps the present to find a very nice hat, and smiles.
    My pronouns are they/them.

Avatar courtesy of Elagune's OotS manga reinterpretation!

30. - Top - End - #1230
    Titan in the Playground

Lorne opens the door to his room, wearing a sleeveless shirt with a buttoned shirt (currently unbuttoned) thrown over it. "Ah, thanks, Emi," Lorne says with a smile as he takes the DVD.

Her uncomfortableness then registers on him. "...something wrong?" he asks, a little uncertainly.
    "No, it's nothing, everything is fine!" Emi's response is a bit too fast and embarassed to be true. She looks to the side for a second, but then her gaze returns - she smiles a bit and folds her hands behind her.
    "Um, if you have some free time, would you like to watch it together? Most series are more enjoyable when you watch them with someone else."

Spoiler
    Show