New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 24394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1487
  1. - Top - End - #1441
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Still Not Safe #2 [M&M 2nd ed]

Ben Brooks

"And just why should we do that? Your group is wanted in suspicion of terrorism, kidnapping, and murder; and today, right now, you're holding another man against his will under threat of violence. To insinuate that you're somehow innocent in all of this is asinine. So if you want to come to some sort of agreement here, at least show us the common courtesy not to treat us like fools." Ben's voice filtered through his mask as the t-visor flashed a bright red.
    Paladin, Green Lantern, and Cyrine by DarthRaynn!

“I've never believed in the End of Times. We are Mankind. Our footprints are on the moon. When the last trumpet sounds and the Beast rises from the pit -- we will kill it.”
    ― Travis Beacham, Pacific Rim: Tales From Year Zero

Spoiler
    Show

Kismet and Deadshot by kpenguin.

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Titan in the Playground

Huh? That's all? They don't want us to stand away from the SE or anything? Emi is surprised, and in a positive way. Just when she thought everything is going to go smoothly, though, Ben speaks up.
    Gah, what are you doing! We have a chance to resolve this peacefully, don't say things that will make them more hostile!
    Emi reaches out with her hand into the cultists' direction. "Wait. I have something I need to ask you." She waits for a short moment to see if anyone raises any objections. If there aren't any, she continues.
    "When I talked with your leader last time, he said that the SEs can speak to us. Have any of you spoken with them? What did they tell you?"

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #1443
    Banned

"Hey, I'm doing this only because, if I had no hostage you people would be fighting us right now." The opposing Shifter sounds mildly hurt by Ben's words.
    "Yeah, I'm not mincing words, I admit we've taken a hostage. It's not nice... but what you guys do isn't nice either."

It looks like he was going to say something else - maybe. But since Emi spoke up, instead he gives her a surprised gaze. And then, he composes himself.

"Nope, didn't personally talk to any of them. Not that I had a lot of opportunities. But isn't it amazing, what they do to us? They give us all these awesome powers, like superheroes. You have yours because of them, too."

4. - Top - End - #1444
    Ogre in the Playground

While the negotiations are going on, Lorne analyzes the Shifting Entity. I don't like not being able to do anything about this, but the others are definitely more suited to this...I just hope Ben doesn't get Frank killed somehow.
    My pronouns are they/them.

Avatar courtesy of Elagune's OotS manga reinterpretation!

5. - Top - End - #1445
    Titan in the Playground

"What?" The Shifter's response is too close to Emi's recent observation for her to remain calm. "It's obvious that Sophium and SEs are connected in some way, but that just means there is a common source, and that's not the same as them giving us our powers! Do you have any proof that what you're saying is true?"
    Last edited by Tengu_temp; 2010-04-06 at 02:36 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #1446
    Troll in the Playground

Ben Brooks

Ben crossed his arms and gave Emi room to speak, though his question confused him. She was starting to sound like Todd with all of that nonsense about SE's speaking. What did they say to the Ascenders? Probably "put on your tinfoil hats and bottle your urine, the end is nigh!" just like every other sign-waving schizoid. Who cared? Still, he wasn't about to openly contradict his teammates in front of the Ascenders, so he just stayed silent. He'd made his point, so now he'd wait for the negotiation to move forward.

“I've never believed in the End of Times. We are Mankind. Our footprints are on the moon. When the last trumpet sounds and the Beast rises from the pit -- we will kill it.”

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #1447
    Troll in the Playground

"Personally, I'd rather not have any powers, cool as they are, if it meant all the people that died due to the SEs came back" Andy answers deadpanly. "But yes, if safe passage is all you want, I don't think it should be hard to negotiate with the Commander. I'm kind of surprised you didn't just try to open this same negotiation with the personnel already here instead of wanting to wait specifically until Shifter Team One came, though - you should have been able to negotiate that with anyone, Frank there included, long as they simply reported it to the Commander" he adds.

"Still, give us a moment, then. We'll go give command a call about your demands" with that, he nods to the others, gesturing at them to get a little distance so they may call in a bit of privacy, and whips out his communicator.

"This is Andrés. The Ascenders' only request is for the ability to leave free and unharmed. If we promise to let them, they'll let Frank go. So, can I tell them they're free to get the hell away already?"

EDIT: Damn, double-ninja'd.
    Last edited by Drascin; 2010-04-06 at 02:37 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1448
    Banned

Lorne detects the following:
    The SE is more than what you just see - most of its body is currently underground. How does it look like? You can't see.
    The tentacles are elastic enough to grab and deal with multiple enemies at the same time. Because of that, they might be not as difficult to wound as the SE's body itself - but it's hard to judge when it's out of your sight's reach.

Once Lorne's analysis is complete, a low, longing tone emanates from the SE. It sounds a bit like whalesong. Was this a reaction to your analysis?
    Fortunately, other than that the SE did not do anything.

The Thoughts of Ascension do not seem bothered by the mournful cry.

"I just feel that our powers come from the Entities. It's a hunch, but it's a hunch I trust. 'Sides." The white-haired guy might not be bothered by the SE, but he at least looked in his direction.
    "The Entities are the reason you even have your powers, right? Without amplifiers, you'd be just ordinary people. And that's boring - it's much more exciting when everyone has superpowers. You should just let the Entities do their deed. Life must be great once you Ascend."
    Last edited by Cubey; 2010-04-06 at 03:21 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1449
    Troll in the Playground

Andy tenses up, but after taking a deep breath, manages to keep his voice controlled - though it's obvious there's a lot of pent-up feeling down there, kept bottled just barely by a little thread.

"That is not how things work. Excitement might be good on paper, but when it's this kind it's never worth the lives lost" the rumbling echo in the War God's armor grows slightly more ominous, though Andy is still managing to keep calm. But it's just that that hit too close to home. He's repulsed by the idea someone could think like that - and even more repulsed by the idea that it hits entirely too close to his own hero complex and daydreams about having superpowers.

No, there's a difference. I want to be the one having powers and doing the saving if there's a need. I don't want there to be a need just so I can have powers. Thinking that is... utterly disgusting. Still, it's hard to not have at least a little doubt about himself.
    Last edited by Drascin; 2010-04-06 at 03:42 PM.

10. - Top - End - #1450
    Ogre in the Playground

Interesting...the only similar experience was when 01A appeared, although this did not have such a negative effect...

After taking a moment to consider, Lorne looks at the ground and adjusts his focus, attempting to see the rest of the creature's body by Detecting Sophium.

11. - Top - End - #1451
    Banned

"If everyone acted smart rather than killing each other for no reason, there'd be no lives lost." Unusually, you hear a bit of hesitation in the man's voice.

(Sense motive can help here)

Lorne cannot detect the rest of the SE, as it is underground and natural earth blocks his Sophium vision.

12. - Top - End - #1452
    Titan in the Playground

Didn't someone at the conference ask us about something similar?
    Andy already answered the excitement part, so Emi doesn't dwell there - especially that she starts to feel angry herself, on the inside. Instead, she goes with the second thing she wanted to ask from the very start.
    "Let the Entities do their deed - and what about those people they kill, and not by making them disappear but in an ordinary, messy way? Do these people Ascend too? Besides... how can you be so sure that this whole Ascension of yours is not a lie? Your leader said that the SEs will show you if you communicate with them, but you haven't even done that, and you don't know what exactly they told him! There is no proof, no indication that those so-called Ascended people are anything other than dead! And if there is, show it to me!"
    I know I already asked before, but maybe this guy will tell me something new. I need to know for sure...! Brother...
    Last edited by Tengu_temp; 2010-04-06 at 05:09 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #1453
    Ogre in the Playground

Shockingly enough, Todd stays mostly quite during this whole ordeal. He didn't have much of a reason to say anything. Andy was handling everything very well, Dr. Wily just wasn't as... fun as Mr. Johnson.

Instead, most of Todd's attention was focused on the SE. He still wanted to try to communicate with it. Or at the very least, check to see if the SE reacts to hostility. Todd was almost sure it did, but he could be wrong. Once this whole conversation was over, he would ask the rest of the team if he could go out first and check. In his PSA, of course. If the SE only reacted to hostile thoughts or feelings, then it shouldn't matter if he was in his PSA or not.

And with his training, it was now possible for him to unsummon the gloves part of his PSA long enough to maintain a conversation.

Who knows, it might just work. Maybe he could even learn something.
    ParsonxMaggie Shipper in the Playground

14. - Top - End - #1454
    Troll in the Playground

Ben Brooks

With every passing moment, it solidified in Ben's mind that this guy was not the brains of the operation. He was most likely one of the kool-aid drinkers instead of a leader like that guy from before with the camera. The way he talked about the Shifting Entities and about the entire situation in general just made him sound so damned naive about everything. That he showed no real malice, but rather an idiot's smiling, simple, blind faith was the only thing that kept Ben from burning off his stupid, white hair.

Of course, Ben had been reading his Sun Tzu lately. The perfect way to lull the negotiation team into a sense of arrogance and security was to appear simple-minded and in a weak tactical position. It was entirely possible that this guy was just putting on a show so that the Ascenders could put some other plan into action. It would certainly mesh with what they'd seen of the Ascenders' tactics so far.

Ben kept quiet as he studied his situation, trying to keep his anger on the backburner and let the more talkative members of the negotiation team do their job. Ben had another job to do after all: He was the first strike weapon should everything start to go to sh*t.

Spoiler
    Show
    Notice: (1d20+9)[12]
    Sense Motive: (1d20+5)[22]

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1455
    Banned

"I don't have the proof for you. Guess you'll just have to trust me on that one."
    The pause that comes before this statement is clear - your speaker is not sure of his words. He starts to doubt himself, and tries to mask it, badly.
    "But that won't change the situation. Speaking of that, I'd rather it ended soon. He... he..." The quiet laugh is so obviously nervous, you don't even have to try to understand his current emotions.

Unfortunately for Todd and Ben, they notice no change with the SE. But it doesn't look like the Shifters are going to start a fight either.

When Ben calls the Commander:
    "I see." Clayton seems deep in thought. You have to wait several long, precious seconds before he replies.
    "Very well. I am sending orders to the forces to let the three Thoughts of Ascension members pass. You are not to attack them, unless they make it clear that it was a ruse and they do not plan to release the hostage."

16. - Top - End - #1456
    Titan in the Playground

He doesn't know anything. And if the leaders of the cult knew anything themselves, they wouldn't let their followers doubt like that. As expected, Ascension is just a pile of bull.
    Emi feels disappointed that she didn't manage to get any useful information out of the Shifter, but also relieved - it reassured her that it's them who are the good guys, and the Thoughts are simply lying instead of using evil means for a good cause. And the fact that she managed to shake the Shifter's beliefs is satisfying, too - not only does it further show that SECT is the right side here, but it's also sure to give him something to think about later. He doesn't seem like a bad guy, just misguided and easy to manipulate.
    "Okay. If that's really everything you want then we will let you go peacefully. But you will be watched, to make sure you don't do anything to the hostage."
    Emi is pretty sure they won't hurt Frank, but better safe than sorry. She's going to stay at short enough distance to use her powers whenever something is going to happen, until they release the hostage.
    Last edited by Tengu_temp; 2010-04-08 at 06:58 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #1457
    Troll in the Playground

((Eh, screw it. I'm holding the game with my horrendous writer's block. Simple response, and sorry))

"Yeah, what she said. Commander gave his word just now. You're free to go if you let Frank go" Andy says simply, stepping aside (the enemy Shifters probably can fly away, of course, but it's as much a symbolic gesture as anything).

Still, he keeps his gaze on the man, his rage and disgust subsiding slightly, but still burning, by the similarities still stinging a bit on the back of his mind. The dude sounds like a child. Perhaps much like Andy himself would have sounded younger. It's obvious he's not quite malevolent - just stunted and brainwashed.

18. - Top - End - #1458
    Banned

"Alright. You better don't break your word." The Shifter sits down by the chess set, and starts picking his stuff up.
    "We're going now. Let's scram." He nods towards the other two Ascenders, who still did not say a single word during the whole event.

"Hey, I almost forgot. Here." He walks up to Andy and hands him over a piece of paper. It is folded in half so you do not see what is being written there - if you accept it, that is.

"Right. Now we're going." And with that, he turns and just walks away - although it quickly turns into a superhumanly fast run, if you give him an opportunity to do that. His allies follow, leaving Frank unattended.

Will you use this opportunity to do something, or just follow the Commander's orders and let them leave?
    And what do you do with the paper?
    Last edited by Cubey; 2010-04-10 at 08:31 AM.

19. - Top - End - #1459
    Ogre in the Playground

"You're call." Todd motions to Andy, and indeed the rest of his team "If you want to go after them or not." Todd nods his head. "It'll make 'em not trust us. But the public won't care. Hostage situations really screw with your PR...So long as we get Frank to safety, of course."

Todd looks over at the SE, and then back at Frank.

"Come on, let get him back to the base asap."

20. - Top - End - #1460
    Troll in the Playground

Ben Brooks

"As much as it pains me to say this, we should let them go. We've still got the SE to deal with here. We don't need to weaken ourselves unnecessarily before we take it out." Ben said as he walked over to Frank.

"Hey, want a lift back to base camp? It's faster." he asked, offering a hand. With the enhanced strength the armor afforded him, it would be cake to carry even a full-grown man like Frank as he flew back.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #1461
    Titan in the Playground

Why are they even considering this? Everything is alright, we managed to solve the whole situation peacefully. Why ruin it?
    "Let's not go after them. That'd be against our promise, against our orders, and if they are not looking for a fight, we shouldn't be either."
    Frank seems to be okay and other members of the team (who seem to be closer to him than Emi) are already talking with him, so Emi watches as the other Shifters go away instead. When they disappear from sight, she looks at the Shifting Entity.
    "What do we do with the SE? Keep observing?"

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #1462
    Ogre in the Playground

"What do we do with the SE? Keep observing?"

"I'd like."
    Todd pauses of a moment, scratching the back of his head. "To try to talk to the SE. Erm. In my armor. I mean, at the very least I want to see if I'm right about... like... The SE only attacking things that are hostile. You know. If it only attacks things that want to attack it."

Todd looks over at Lorne.

"That sound fine, Boss? After all, the worse that could happen is that it'll attack me. Which would happen anyways. And we'd learn something!"

23. - Top - End - #1463
    Troll in the Playground

Andy looks at the piece of paper curiously as he's handed it, and soon he opens it as he answers Todd "Yeah. Let'em go. If they're willing to not make our life hard with the SE, I'm not going to be the one to backstab them"

"And Todd... okay, but soon as the thing starts getting threatening like last one, get the hell out or call for backup. Those tentacles look nasty as all hells"
    Last edited by Drascin; 2010-04-10 at 03:19 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1464
    Banned

"Alright." Frank stood up even before you asked him anything - when the Ascenders were getting ready to leave. You're not sure what he thinks of the current situation, whether he is glad that it all ended without a fight or disgusted that you negotiated with terrorists. His expression is far too stoic.
    But at least he does not seem to be hurt.

On Andy's paper, he finds a single, hastily-drawn three letter word.
    RUN

"We will continue observing the... What!" The Commander's transmission is suddenly interrupted.

"Multiple Sophium signatures detected!" It's mission control. She sounds distressed.

And indeed, Lorne picks up Sophium from every possible direction, about a kilometer away from you. Judging by its quantity in a single signal, it must belong to a human-sized humanoid: undoubtedly a Thoughts of Ascension Shifter.
    How many signatures are there? Over a hundred. And they start closing in fast, in groups of about 10-15 each.

"The perimeter has been breached! Everyone gather into one group and evacuate!" Clayton yells out.

25. - Top - End - #1465
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hey uh Andy?" Todd looks around. "I don't mind fighting. In fact, I'd enjoy myself. But uh... I think a giant hole straight down would really help even the odds for us. What do you think?"

26. - Top - End - #1466
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Matar View Post
    [COLOR="#006400"]
    Todd looks over at Lorne.

"That sound fine, Boss? After all, the worse that could happen is that it'll attack me. Which would happen anyways. And we'd learn something!"
    "Absolutely, Todd. In fact, I--"

And then the attack becomes apparent. Lorne looks disappointed, but not totally surprised. He already has an idea.

"Right, Todd." "Andy, the SE's structure tends beneath the ground--can you feel it? If so, make pits to drop the enemy on it if possible. ere, Cat, can you use your powers to shape and pack the snow into some cover for the evacuation?"

With that, Lorne aims a telekinetic attack at one of the mooks, trying to confuse them about its direction, with the "subtle" aspect of that power.
    Last edited by Haven; 2010-04-10 at 05:41 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1467
    Titan in the Playground

So much for Emi's relief! The current situation doesn't look good. At all.
    "Are any of our squads under attack, or are the enemies just closing in?", she asks over the radio as Genesis' energy wings appear and she takes off into the air.
    We need to help the normal soldiers - they're not fast enough to escape from Shifters, and if they get into combat, they will get massacred!

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #1468
    Firbolg in the Playground

James tighten his grips in the handlebars.

"Figures. I'm right. I'm always right. These Ascenscion bastards, the only way to deal with them is to beat each and every one of them into uncounciousness and sort them out later. Let me deal with these bastards. You guys help the others evacuate."

The Grey Fowl jumps into the air and perches menacingly on top of the highest tree that he can find like a deranged, black, chicken.

When he can see the closest group approaching...

"COME ON. COME CLOSER YOU NUTHEADS! I'M GOING TO PERSONALLY MAKE YOU TASTE MY FIST, EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU!"
    He bellows loudly, red scarf flowing behind him like liquid fire.

(Emotion control: fear)

Thankfully his helmet completely covers his face, because James is grinning like a maniac behind it.
    Last edited by Fri; 2010-04-11 at 12:49 AM.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

29. - Top - End - #1469
    Troll in the Playground

"OH, ****" is all Andy yells on reading the paper. "Everybody run, it's an amb-"

And then the call comes, interrupting him.

"Gah! We're surrounded! Personnel, evacuate! And run like ****!" he barks back into the comms. "Shifter squad will cover you! ...wait, James, what the-!?" he interjects as James jumps away.

"Oh God damn it. I hope he doesn't get mobbed to hell" he says, already running to a good point to make a defensive earth breach to protect the evacuating people. "Alright, Lorne, you got it!" he says as he stomps his foot - and in response to his command, huge amounts of land break down and shift to create a deep, wide crevasse.

((When we see that Ascender next, I'm going to need to explain to him that giving someone a note about danger fifteen seconds before the danger appears by itself is not very useful ))
    Last edited by Drascin; 2010-04-11 at 04:33 AM.

30. - Top - End - #1470
    Banned

The enemies have a clear goal - they charge blindly in your direction, ignoring everything around them. On the one side, it may mean normal SECT members are relatively safe. On the other, you have about a hundred Shifters closing in fast. So fast that you have visual - they're all robed figures, all of them flying at you like a flock of giant white birds.

Some of them were stopped though. Lorne managed to trip up one of the quickly-moving figures before he even got a visual, although it did not stop it at the slightest. As for James, his menacing yell brings results, as ten out of a group of about fifteen Shifters change their minds and try to flee instead.

"Take this!" Akira summons a giant chaingun, and fires a barrage into a group of enemies. The results are not noticeable.
    What does the rest of his group do? They gather around Kazuma.

"No... I don't..." If anyone of you is close enough, you might be able to make out single words coming from the panicked boy.
    "Aaargh!" A shroud of darkness gathers around him, covering his features. Is this his PSA? If it is, it takes the form of a dark, skulking figure, its features (like just mentioned) not discernable since they're covered in darkness. Additionally, dark smoke rises from the whole body.
    Kazuma himself is very, very quiet at the moment. As his opening act, many incredibly long spike-like limbs sprout from his body. Their target - enemy Shifters, as many of them are impaled.

"I'll cover you. Dark Crescendo!" Elizabeth points at yet another group of enemies, creating an explosion of some kind of dark red power. Once it dissipates, almost all the group's Shifters are lying on the ground. The remaining ones suddenly find Matilda at their faces, whose PSA allows her to move with incredible, fluid agility. Her hand now brandishing a long knife which she took from nobody knows where, she slashes at one of the robe-clad Ascenders, his or her pristine white cloth ruined by blotches of blood.

(Remaining enemy groups:
    A group of two, in melee with Matilda
    A group of nine
    A group of six, with ten others retreating courtesy of James
    A group of fourteen
    A group of ten
    A group of fifteen

All of them are about 100 feet away from you close enough to reach in a move action)

A deep, longing cry sounds through the plateau. It's the SE again - but this time the sound is much louder and more intensive. Additional tentacles sprout next to the already existing two - now there is four of them, now six, now ten, and now the number is impossible to calculate. But that is but a detail, for the main body of the SE surfaces from below the ground.

Its cries are not the only thing reminiscent of a whale, as its body is similar to one of these majestic mammals as well. If whales were about a hundred meters long and of a sickly, fleshy coloration. The SE has no flippers, and this is where the tentacles sprout from instead. Its face is nonexistant, except for a large toothless mouth, which is always open in a grimace of constant agony. The mouth's insides are dark and nigh impossible to see - for better or for worse.

Not only does the SE emerge from the ground (it will go up until it is levitating in the air, without any contact with the earth below), it turns in your direction and starts to levitate towards you.

"Reinforcements are incoming. Find an opening and retreat!" The Commander's orders are hard to discern due to all the ruckus that is going on at the moment.

Due to all the chaos, Lorne might miss the fact that seven Sophium signals stayed behind. That is, these Shifters are still going in your direction, but less haphazardly so than the rest.

(Those of you who did not act this turn yet - Todd, Ben, Cat, Emi, should do so. Starting from the next turn we're going in an initiative order, so make sure to roll for that.)
    Last edited by Cubey; 2010-04-11 at 07:15 AM.