New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Question (3.5) The Carving. (PEACH)

What I am going for here is a VERY creepy monster in my opinion, but I can't really find the stats to describe it, or if I should stat it at all, and make it more of a puzzle on how to get away with out a splintery impalement as I don't want this to be a monster they win by damage, but by wits.
    Any and all input is welcome. (also I can't tell what it's CR should be)

The Carving
    You are awoken by your comrade in the dead of night to hear a strange drumming in the distance, your campfire your only light in this cloudy, moonless night. Suddenly, the source of the drumming is moving towards you at unbelievable speed, and are dumbstruck when the drumming ends suddenly and a huge, splintery carving almost twice your height almost blinks to the very edge of the firelight, its features barely lit.
    A tall wooden carving of a thin man with extremely long limbs, a huge head with empty sockets for eyes and an eerily small torso, seemingly incapable of movement. It's arms are covered in horrific, jagged splinters and spread out in a winglike fashion. It's feet end in uncarved logs around 1 foot in diameter. you figure the only sound it makes is that terrible drumming sound as it shifts its weight from one foot to the other extremely rapidly.

Large Undead Plant
    Hit Dice: 10d12 +33
    Initiative: +0
    Speed: 100 ft. (20 squares)
    Armor Class: 24 (-1 Size, +15 Natural), touch 9, flat-footed 25
    Base Attack/Grapple: +?/+?
    Attack: Claw +17 melee (1d8+7)
    Full Attack: 2 Claws +17 (1d8+7)
    Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
    Special Attacks: Can full attack on charge attacks.
    Special Qualities: Plant/Undead traits, Scent, DR 20/Slashing and/or Fire, Peek-a-boo, Strangely Shaped, (Fear aura?)
    Saves: Fort+7, Will +12, Ref +7
    Abilities: Str 24, Dex 10, Con --, Int --, Wis 10, Cha 10.
    Skills: Listen +15, Spot +15, Move Silently -15
    Feats: None
    Environment: Any
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: ?
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Any Evil.
    Advancement: By Hit dice
    Level Adjustment: ---

Peek a Boo : The Carving cannot perform any actions while directly observed by humanoids and is effectively frozen in place. However, it can ready actions on the trigger "When no one is looking".

Strangely Shaped
    : As you stare at The Carving , knowing it will impale you on those horrible arms the moment you look away, or even blink, you feel as if a splinter is moving. With each passing second, the splinters seem to twitch, as if gouging at your eyes,. (Ok, I can't decide if this should be a concentration check every round or a will save. However I plan to increase the DC by 1 per round and if two or more players are staring at The Carving , one can blink while the other stares to set the DC back to the start.)

Any and all ideas for The Carving will be appreciated! (New name, The Idol perhaps?)
    Last edited by Eldhusgaur; 2009-09-30 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Gotta "flesh" this baby out

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: (3.5) The Carving. (PEACH)

Reminds me of a Doctor Who episode. Great creature. I think you should make attacking it raise the DC.

Koboldsarbeiter avatar by Mindfreak

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Default Re: (3.5) The Carving. (PEACH)

Quote Originally Posted by Renrik View Post
    Reminds me of a Doctor Who episode. Great creature. I think you should make attacking it raise the DC.
    Well, I was thinking any action taken around it will require a roll and a DC increase, and some actions would be impossible to preform with looking at it, such as reading, using scrolls, searching through your backpack. Some actions taken towards it would also require a roll, such as attacking it, trying to move it and such, put I haven't set anything in stone except it won't move when its being looked at.