New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: KataraAltinaII's Premature Not So Short & To-The-Point Random Banter #130

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    See? Cats are wonderful creature. Except that they can't spell, but that's okay, I have declared that most cats are dyslexic. And have a strange sense of humour.
    But everyone knew that last part anyway. Last night the Demoncat jumped on my head. Again. But it's better than having her trying to gnaw on my toes through my duvet.
    I agree that cats are wonderful creatures, but the problem is that it is difficult to understand why they try to gnaw your toes and the like.
    Yet another Touhou fan in the playground.
    I'm the strongest, but don't call me an idiot or I'll cyro-freeze you together with some English Beef. - Cirno Avatar by me, assassin8⑨

2. - Top - End - #632
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: KataraAltinaII's Premature Not So Short & To-The-Point Random Banter #130

Quote Originally Posted by Vetreon View Post
    Nothing a pair of scissors and a can of paint can't fix!
    ... That's not how it works!

3. - Top - End - #633
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    ... That's not how it works!
    Ugh, you're only making this harder for yourself! Neglecting perfectly valid options!

4. - Top - End - #634
    Ogre in the Playground

Ugh, you're only making this harder for yourself! Neglecting perfectly valid options!
    There is a difference between valid and logical. The most logical plan for nameless would beto get a wig at costume shop. Using a mop is valid, but not really a good use of resources, especially if you can use the mop to clean the floor.
    Last edited by Assassin89; 2009-10-04 at 10:06 AM.
    Yet another Touhou fan in the playground.
    I'm the strongest, but don't call me an idiot or I'll cyro-freeze you together with some English Beef. - Cirno Avatar by me, assassin8⑨

5. - Top - End - #635
    Titan in the Playground

Or I could just use good ol' fashion DIY, which is probably what I'll end up doing.

*takes out glue, hair gel and scissors*
    *goes to draw and takes out bags of different coloured hair*

I knew my hair collection would come in handy one day...

6. - Top - End - #636
    Firbolg in the Playground

Or I could just use good ol' fashion DIY, which is probably what I'll end up doing.

*takes out glue, hair gel and scissors*
    *goes to draw and takes out bags of different coloured hair*

I knew my hair collection would come in handy one day...
    You have a hair collection? Colour me intrigued. Pics or it didn't happen.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

7. - Top - End - #637
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    You have a hair collection? Colour me intrigued. Pics or it didn't happen.
    You'll see it when it's done.

8. - Top - End - #638

You know, the problem with lazy days is you can get into a bit of a lethargic rut. For example, right now I should be en route to a choir rehearsal, but I'm not. Partly because I'm still in a bit of alethargic rut from yesterday, and partly because there was a group of chavs sitting on the front wall of the house next door deterring me from leaving. However, just as I came here to mention this, they left, but I'm still here. I should really go...
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

9. - Top - End - #639
    Troll in the Playground

I am boooored! Entertain me!
    ____

10. - Top - End - #640
    Ogre in the Playground

Go on! Carpe Diem! You never know when they'll be back! Think of the hymns in German and Latin and other languages you could be singing (I'm assuming it's that sort of choir.)

11. - Top - End - #641
    Orc in the Playground

Nothing a pair of scissors and a can of paint can't fix!
    that would be duct tape, my good sir.
    "The Mormons were right."

12. - Top - End - #642
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonAngel View Post
    I am boooored! Entertain me!
    *throws a pie at your face*

13. - Top - End - #643
    Bugbear in the Playground

I've been noticing a lot of things about the RB lately, and I feel that a reposting of certain rules might be in order...

1. Spam. For the purposes of RB, one word posts are generally considered spam. Likewise, posts that are nothing but *actions like this* are also be considered spam. Remember that the quality of the post's content is much better than the speed of your response.

7. Random Banter can only be as good, or as entertaining, as you make it. Demands to be entertained will fall on deaf ears unless you can add something more meaningful to the conversation.

10. Every post should contain two visible, legible complete sentences, Subject and Predicate. C'mon, make your old English teachers proud.

11. Remember, Random Banter is not your IM client. If you want to have a back and forth discussion with just one person, look in their contact information for IM details.

I'm not trying to be very strict here, but the Random Banter has gotten too bantery recently.

-Slayer Draco Doll by Recaiden

14. - Top - End - #644
    Ettin in the Playground

* throws face at your pie *

Now that's entertaining !
    Last edited by Spiryt; 2009-10-04 at 01:02 PM.
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

15. - Top - End - #645
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Slayer Draco View Post
    I've been noticing a lot of things about the RB lately, and I feel that a reposting of certain rules might be in order...

1. Spam. For the purposes of RB, one word posts are generally considered spam. Likewise, posts that are nothing but *actions like this* are also be considered spam. Remember that the quality of the post's content is much better than the speed of your response.

7. Random Banter can only be as good, or as entertaining, as you make it. Demands to be entertained will fall on deaf ears unless you can add something more meaningful to the conversation.

10. Every post should contain two visible, legible complete sentences, Subject and Predicate. C'mon, make your old English teachers proud.

11. Remember, Random Banter is not your IM client. If you want to have a back and forth discussion with just one person, look in their contact information for IM details.

I'm not trying to be very strict here, but the Random Banter has gotten too bantery recently.
    Stop ruining our fun!

Last edited by Nameless; 2009-10-04 at 01:03 PM.

16. - Top - End - #646
    Ogre in the Playground

Aagh, I'm feeling all guilty now because of my post about swigging.
    Last edited by Etcetera; 2009-10-04 at 01:04 PM.

17. - Top - End - #647

Stop ruining our fun!

You do realize that the mods will come down on this thread eventually if it doesn't stop, right? Let's try to be more mature about this. I like the Random Banter. I'm trying to keep it from being locked or taken away completely.

18. - Top - End - #648
    Ettin in the Playground

But if people can't spam, they need a Spam Thread.

It's like, written in the starlight.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

19. - Top - End - #649

Quote Originally Posted by Spiryt View Post
    But if people can't spam, they need a Spam Thread.

It's like, written in the starlight.
    *points to the rules*

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Staff
    Please Don’t
    These are offenses that will not typically result in an Infraction or banning upon the first offense, thus being issued as Warnings. However, repeated violations will eventually result in an Infraction. In some cases a Mod may edit a post or post an in thread message saying “Please don’t do that,” or (more likely) issue you a Warning under the "Please Don't" category. Please Don’t offenses have a 6 month expiration, and are worth 25 points when issued as an Infraction.

Minor Spam
    Minor spam refers to posts that do not add to any discussion; often, one word posts will fall under this ruling (outside of SMBG games which require one-word responses of course). For example, quoting another users post and putting "QFT" or "quoted for truth," or a similar agreement, without adding any additional information of your own would fall under this rule. Posting any page or response claim - for example, "first page! or "first response!" would also fall under this heading, even if you include other discussion in your post. Posts of this type will be removed or edited, and the poster may be issued an Infraction.

20. - Top - End - #650

I would have termed it the other way - too much random, not enough banter.
    However I share your sentiments. This thread is intended for very free and wide-ranging conversation, but it should still be conversation. If you have nothing else to say, just think of something random you did/saw recently, and talk about it, but don't just come in here and post essentially nothing.

@Crown of Thorns: That sort of choir yes, but the piece we're doing at the moment is in english. However, your advice is wasted, as I've already failed to leave the house.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

21. - Top - End - #651
    Ettin in the Playground

Ugh...

I didn't want to do this but:

Vigilante Modding

If you’re not a Moderator, don’t act like one. Rich has selected a few people he trusts to keep an eye on conversations here. Please refrain from chastising other posters over breaking the rules, especially concerning minor things. The proper response when you see someone breaking these rules is to report the post as discussed above or to a PM to the local Moderator. At most, you may courteously link to this thread. But whatever you do, do not tell other posters what to do, what rules they have broken, that they are "spamming", etc. Posters who do so excessively will be issued an Infraction for their actions.
    Generally, if you feel something's worth Mod action, report it.

22. - Top - End - #652
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

I'm gonna have to agree with this. Recently I've noticed a tendency to post lost of actions like those, short answers, and what really gets to me: "I'm going to bed, people, good night." I know I haven't participated in RB in a while, but really...

23. - Top - End - #653

Ugh...

*stuff*

I was not acting like a mod. This rule implies that I was pointing fingers at specific people and saying "UR DOIN IT WRONG", which is not what I did, nor was it what I intended to do.

But I will move away from this topic now, before things start becoming heated.

Right now I'm trying to write an essay for Philosophy. The topic of it is Epicureanism. Specifically, talking about how there's more to this philosophy than seeking pleasure and avoiding pain. Some people think that it's a very gluttonous view on life, but the whole pleasure/pain thing is only the tip of the iceberg. I'm having trouble writing it up, though. It's only two pages double-spaced, which is next to nothing for a college paper. But I've only got about a half-page of words down so far. I'm just having trouble elaborating on things.
    Last edited by Neko Toast; 2009-10-04 at 01:41 PM.

24. - Top - End - #654
    Barbarian in the Playground

I was not acting like a mod. This rule implies that I was pointing fingers at specific people and saying "UR DOIN IT WRONG", which is not what I did, nor was it what I intended to do.

But I will move away from this topic now, before things start becoming heated.

Right now I'm trying to write an essay for Philosophy. The topic of it is Epicureanism. Specifically, talking about how there's more to this philosophy than seeking pleasure and avoiding pain. Some people think that it's a very gluttonous view on life, but the whole pleasure/pain thing is only the tip of the iceberg. I'm having trouble writing it up, though. It's only two pages double-spaced, which is next to nothing for a college paper. But I've only got about a half-page of words down so far. I'm just having trouble elaborating on things.
    A trick I learned from a course I went on last year for when you're having essay trouble is to put away all your books and plans and just pick up a notepad and free write on the subject. You can get a surprising amount written in a short time, and then you just have to neaten it up and add citations and the like afterwards.

ION: I have once again been condemned to spend a week on a business trip. A week in a Premier Inn. I mean, as hotel rooms go, it's ok, but it's still a hotel in the middle of nowhere. And they only gave me two teabags. This was a hopeless underestimate of my nightly tea consumption. Pah.

25. - Top - End - #655
    Banned

/\: The hotel has an electric kettle, I hope, at least. While in theory water boiled in a pan on a hotel hob should be adequate for pouring over a teabag, in practice it tasted hideous.

Unfortunately, there is nothing in the rules about not being a killjoy. Therefore, if someone wishes to drag down a lively banter into an abyss populated with her personal demons, it might be annoying but nothing to hit ye olde report button(e) over.

I can use this.

I have used this. It wasn't very satisfying for any party. No, it was very satisfying for the few hours between posting it and noticing that the world was not suddenly full of people improved in the Victorian sense, then it turned to ashes and a powdery-palmed need to try another tactic. Bludgeoning with words was as ineffective as a physical blow, when it came to influencing folks mentally. Powder in the palms, trickling away at the ends of every seam, nagging under the fingernails--not time, but the need to bend other people to one's will.
    Last edited by Quincunx; 2009-10-04 at 02:09 PM.

26. - Top - End - #656

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedra View Post
    A trick I learned from a course I went on last year for when you're having essay trouble is to put away all your books and plans and just pick up a notepad and free write on the subject. You can get a surprising amount written in a short time, and then you just have to neaten it up and add citations and the like afterwards.
    Not sure if even that may even work. I think the problem right now is distractions. My roommate is singing to the songs that she knows the words to, and our friend (who really should go back to her own dorm now, as she slept here last night) is playing FFXII on the PS2. The most distracting is the singing, considering she's right behind me. I'm never going to get this essay done at this rate.

27. - Top - End - #657
    Orc in the Playground

that made my day.
    "The Mormons were right."

28. - Top - End - #658

Oh my.
    I have to leave the house at four o'clock in the morning. Thing is, I rarely even get to sleep by two o'clock.
    Yes, I can sleep on the way up, but we're picking up a passenger too. My aunt.
    I'ma going to be so tired.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

29. - Top - End - #659
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    Oh my.
    I have to leave the house at four o'clock in the morning. Thing is, I rarely even get to sleep by two o'clock.
    Yes, I can sleep on the way up, but we're picking up a passenger too. My aunt.
    I'ma going to be so tired.
    Coffee! Always helps you stay up.

Or else, you know... go to bed early. It's the healthy, responsible thing to do.

30. - Top - End - #660
    Troll in the Playground

Ugh...

Vigilante moderating isn't pointing people at the rules. It's when you try to chastise a member for what they post.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher, Sept 02, 2005
    I think the time has come to address the issue of "vigilante modding," which consists of non-staff board members acting as moderators, posting to chastise members who break rules, publicly attempting to announce which threads should be locked, and otherwise usurping the functions of a moderator. While we appreciate the help, we have to ask you to stop.
    Last edited by Jack Squat; 2009-10-04 at 03:50 PM.