New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: KataraAltinaII's Premature Not So Short & To-The-Point Random Banter #130

Nuh-uh, Nameless. Pancakes are different things in different countries. Pancakes in England are most definitely the thin ones, known as crepes by people who come from countries where pancakes are thick.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

2. - Top - End - #812
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: KataraAltinaII's Premature Not So Short & To-The-Point Random Banter #130

Pancakes are thinner and wider, drop scones/scotch pancakes are thicker and smaller. The pancakes I had in America were some kind of bizarre, abominable mutant. And very, very nice.

3. - Top - End - #813
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmantra View Post
    Nuh-uh, Nameless. Pancakes are different things in different countries. Pancakes in England are most definitely the thin ones, known as crepes by people who come from countries where pancakes are thick.
    You're wrong, pancakes here are usualy sold as the thick ones, and crêpes are sold as the thin ones.

4. - Top - End - #814

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    You're wrong, pancakes here are usualy sold as the thick ones, and crêpes are sold as the thin ones.
    [I cite Wikipedia!]
    English pancakes have three key ingredients: plain flour, eggs, and milk. The batter is runny and forms a thin layer on the bottom of the frying pan when the pan is tilted. It may form some bubbles during cooking, which results in a pale pancake with dark spots where the bubbles were, but the pancake does not rise. English pancakes are similar to French crêpes, and Italian crespelle, but are not "lacy" in appearance
    Last edited by Dogmantra; 2009-10-07 at 11:59 AM.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

5. - Top - End - #815
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmantra View Post
    [I cite Wikipedia!]
    LIES! Whenever I see pancakes sold in the supermarket or at a café it's thick. THICK I SAY!

6. - Top - End - #816

Then Nameless, YOUR SUPERMARKETS ARE CRAZY.

Unless I've got you wrong and you don't live in England... in which case, they're crazy anyway
    BANG → !

7. - Top - End - #817
    Ogre in the Playground

Pancakes: The real reason for the war of independence!
    Damn you xPancakex.

8. - Top - End - #818
    Banned

American pancakes have a raising agent (a bit of baking powder, or baking soda, or buttermilk), which makes them fluffy and frequently enough sugar to make them sweet. They are the far nicer home-made version of the pancakes that are sold in the U.K./Ireland in the factory-baked goods section. Combining those with caramel sounds heavenly, but without a pot suitable for a rolling boil water bath, I won't be able to further explore this.

As for my meal, a plan to make pizza was hijacked by plans to buy fast food, so I have a bowl of pizza dough rising and no particular end planned for it. Perhaps slather it with garlic butter and bake it into breadsticks?

9. - Top - End - #819
    Ogre in the Playground

A dressing of olive oil, rosemary, and chopped garlic, and possibly parmesan gratings, for a delicious focaccia bread, Quincunx Quincuncium?

Thick pancakes leavened with yeast are quite nice.
    xPancakex rocks my world.

10. - Top - End - #820
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey there, gang!
    You know that typhoon thats had me all excited and giddy and working hard?

It's a disappointment. A weak, weak, disappointment.

That is all.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

11. - Top - End - #821
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos 51-50 View Post
    Hey there, gang!
    You know that typhoon thats had me all excited and giddy and working hard?

It's a disappointment. A weak, weak, disappointment.

That is all.
    Well pardon me for reeling in the tides, but a surfer child in Hawaii wanted the biggest wave so that he may impress the other little children and become popular! You know I never pass up a chance to drown some unsuspecting islanders!

12. - Top - End - #822
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh, I have orographic protection from the waves.

I'm complaining about wind.

Although it has picked up again! Yay!
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

13. - Top - End - #823
    Ogre in the Playground

Phase, stop killing children!

Kill old people instead! Duh!
    Spoiler
    Show
    These awesome Avatars thanks to the amazing Ceika!
    Spoiler
    Show

Current Avatar by Shoreward,
    author of Cursed, of Course, a fantasy webcomic, right here on the forum.

14. - Top - End - #824
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    A dressing of olive oil, rosemary, and chopped garlic, and possibly parmesan gratings, for a delicious focaccia bread, Quincunx Quincuncium?

Thick pancakes leavened with yeast are quite nice.
    xPancakex rocks my world.
    Oy, Neebs. How long you been back? How much have I missed, anyway?
    Spoiler
    Show
    <-I won this from Dr. Bath.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #825
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Phase, stop killing children!

Kill old people instead! Duh!
    Why bother, though? It's like selling an anorexic diet pills.

16. - Top - End - #826

LIES! Whenever I see pancakes sold in the supermarket or at a café it's thick. THICK I SAY!
    You... you BUY pancakes?
    Weird.

Also, Dogmantra is correct.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

17. - Top - End - #827
    Troll in the Playground

Man, I've never paid for a pancake in my life! I *grow* em.

18. - Top - End - #828
    Ettin in the Playground

I kidnap them from the Pancake Valleys of yore.

And lo' did the mighty demi-god Phase set out upon the land. He encountered many perils and hardships, yet he fought through all challenges. His great sword cleaved the heavens, and the bandits, and his mighty gravitas pushed aside whole mountains. He pressed on, descending into the fabled Flapjacanyon. Still more encumbrances met him here. His step faltered, weighed down by the stares of the myriad of Waffles, but he was there for a more powerful prey.

And yea, the mighty Phase saw the leviathan itself. An awesome and terrible creature, a mile long, the Pancraken towered over the hero. For days the mighty forces clashed, neither giving in, despite their weakness. Days turned to months, which in turn became years. The titans fought and struggled, when at last the monster fell. Phase partook of its sultry, buttermilk flesh, and lifted the beast high above his head. And verily, the mighty hero returned, and was praised many a century by those he saved. And those he fed.

19. - Top - End - #829
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

...I just had Liege waffle today. Fermented waffle dough stuff.

Very interesting.

Especially since it was made by very curly-haired, redheaded siblings of turkish-persian extraction who came to Oregon by way of Belgium.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2009-10-08 at 12:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

20. - Top - End - #830
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

My coffee has been stolen! What vile fiend would DO such a thing?

Longer story...

My office has a coffee pot. During the day, folks make pot after pot and pay into a fund to keep the coffee going. But we here on the night shift don't cotton to that. (We being me, since I'm the only one on the night shift that makes drinks coffee. Ironic, ain't it?) I buy my own grounds, filters, and additives and make all the coffee I drink out of my own pocket. I store my personal coffee stuffs in a bag labeled Midnight Shift out of view of the regular day workers. It has been this way for years and there hasn't been a problem.

Until today...

Today I came in and found, to my horror, that my coffee grounds had been usurped and added to the common pool, as well as my filters and additives.

-------------------------
    In other news, I will be making pancakes (American style) for those who are attending Maryland RenFest with me this Saturday (and show up to my house to convoy down there). By my count, this is about a dozen people. That's a lot of flapjacks, folks.
    Want to meet some of the most awesome people on the internet? Come to the Baltimore/DC Area RenFest Meetup 2012!

21. - Top - End - #831
    Banned

Thank you, Kneenibble. Despite a sad lack of fresh herbs of any sort (the temperature dropped overnight and took the life out of my potted plants), these focaccia have turned out tasty. That's the last time I cook with fresh garlic after sundown, though. The odor rose by approximately one story per hour, inudating the bedrooms with overpowering scents after we had shut the windows for the night.

Phaeowulf: Very nice, but needs more Danes.

All that's necessary to telling the story is to begin it with "acquitted of defacing guild property".

I don't think I'm the Welcome Wagon for cross-server transferring players any longer.

22. - Top - End - #832
    Ettin in the Playground

It is 2:48 AM.

I went to bed four hours ago.

I have slept for perhaps one of these hours somewhere in the middle.

I feel like I am going to die.

23. - Top - End - #833

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    It is 2:48 AM.

I went to bed four hours ago.

I have slept for perhaps one of these hours somewhere in the middle.

*insert "mouth-to-mouth" joke here*

I'll be spending all day today waiting for the proverbial other foot to drop. Yesterday we got a free meal from an exceptionally nice restaurant, I got some more free minis, and I found out my Skaven in Warhammer Fantasy are getting my favorite old models back. This just doesn't happen right now, I'm constantly looking over my shoulder waiting for the pack of roving felines to attack or something...

24. - Top - End - #834
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, on the plus side, I finished a five-page essay that's due in two weeks.

I also like it - the essay - which is probably a bad sign.

25. - Top - End - #835

Well, on the plus side, I finished a five-page essay that's due in two weeks.

I also like it - the essay - which is probably a bad sign.
    My freshman year I had the final project for my Intro to Vampire LitFiction class done about halfway through the semester. It's how I got my screenname.

26. - Top - End - #836
    Ogre in the Playground

Please don't. Get well soon! You need your sleep. Try some Nyquil or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Cristo Meyers View Post
    ...and I found out my Skaven in Warhammer Fantasy are getting my favorite old models back.
    The new DoomWheel is so cute!
    "'Intelligence' is really prolific in the world. So is stupidity. So often they occur in the same people." - Phaedra
    Pyrian's LiveJournal

27. - Top - End - #837
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    You... you BUY pancakes?
    Weird.

Also, Dogmantra is correct.
    Nleh! NO! I make my own pancakes! I tend to set the pancake mix on fire when I mix it all up, but I try. :I

28. - Top - End - #838
    Orc in the Playground

Nleh! NO! I make my own pancakes! I tend to set the pancake mix on fire when I mix it all up, but I try. :I
    I'd set the kitchen on fire if I tried to make pancakes.
    Spoiler
    Show
    IA Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

Catmuffin by Captain Happy

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra Ikari
    We're having pirate/steampunk combat outside a temporal rift to a goth club run by the Playground senate.

HOW ARE YOU BORED???

29. - Top - End - #839
    Titan in the Playground

Meh, now I'm hungry.
    *points to mouth* Feeeed meeeeee.

30. - Top - End - #840
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Nobody View Post
    I'd set the kitchen on fire if I tried to make pancakes.
    Me, too. Or...more likely, myself. Or just somehow get boiling pancake batter on me. >.>

*hugs*...accident prone people, unite!
    Cobra Avatar by the lovely Miss Nobody.