New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 49 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Into the Third Age [Party 1 IC]

Alright let’s do this. A group of merfolk traders is attempting a voyage through the great western swamp and across the western sea to the southern end of the Brass Desert. The crew will moor a day there, before sailing around the desert to deliver his shipment of steel tools from the eastern sea to the arctic coast. Then they will pick a shipment of pelts, and return the way they came. Unfortunately, there have been sightings of lizardfolk pirates in the great western swamp, so the captain, Del’nax, has hired guards from across the Great South Western Plain and the areas surrounding it, you. Some of you outcasts, others champions, but your blades are sharp, and minds keen, and that’s all that matters to Del’nax. His ship, the Roc Feather, is a merfolk pinnacle. It varies from the pinnacles of men in that it is operated from bellow deck and rides on the tides instead of the winds, which are almost absent in the swamp. The crew carefully measures the ebbs and flows of the sea as water flows in and out of the lower decks, but the cargo hold and the upper decks are kept relatively dry. Some of you have been traveling with Del’nax since he picked you up at a port city en route. Others are being picked up here, at the port of Gileendil, the last stop before Del’nax braves the Great Swamp. Of course, fliers advertising his voyage have shown up months in advance so the captain could be sure there would be guards waiting for him. A crowd gathers as the Roc Feather pulls into port.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Into the Third Age [Party 1 IC]

Aortal stands amongst the crowd, trying its hardest to remain one with the mass of people, and not draw attention to itself.
    Gazing around, it looks for other people who look like they might be mercinaries, and strides towards the Roc Feather.

[[ Spot check to find out how many mercenary-types there are waiting for the ship to land so they can guard it (1d20+4)[6] ]]

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

OOC-
    Spoiler
    Show
    I changed Lethe's name to Lethren. Just so everyone knows.

Lethren sat quietly, enjoying the breeze and the warm sun on his face. Another beautiful sunrise leads to another beautiful day, he thought to himself. Lethren loved the smell of the sea because it reminded him of his home, high on the cliffs in his monastery. The sound of the waves would rock him to sleep and the smell of the sea salt would help him sleep soundly.

Lethren stood slowly, his gimp knee unbending and stiff. Supporting himself on the railing, Lethren looked out into the harbor. A number of people seemed interested in joining up with Captain Del’nax, just as he had done back in the Eastern Sea. Lathander had commanded him to join the trading vessel, and unwilling to argue with his god, Lethren joined the crew.

In truth, Lethren was nervous about battling the Lizard forces. He had trained for a long time to fight, but even he had doubts about his leg. He knew he was slower than most, so he would have to serve as a shield for his allies. One that would not falter, break, or retreat. It was his job to break light to the darkest of the places.
    Currently Playing:
    Rikard Loghaine in [4E] Grandpre Academy

Antivian Qualinyr in [4E] Keep on the Shadowfell

Avatar by the talented and generous Grinner!!!!

Check out this awesome website for D&D, MTG, Anime, Music, Movies, and more!!!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Standing in the gloom between two buildings on the docks stood a teenage girl, staring out at the boat. The girl lifted her hood, raised a parasol, and walked out towards the boat. She has a large coffin strapped to her back, and not a single piece of skin is visible through the thick clothes covering her body.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Albert stood amongst the crowd that had gathered to see the Roc Feather come into port, just another human mercenary here to offer his services. He was never very fond of the sea, such journeys were always perilous, though the money this job offered was irresistible and as of late there haven't been many opportunities for fortune or adventure like this. Albert eyed the crowd and clutched the hilt of his longsword, anxious for the ship to dock and for things to get under way. This was going to be an interesting day...

[spot check for anything suspicious/out of the ordinary (1d20+2)[19]+2 vs. humans]
    Last edited by Der Arbol; 2009-09-28 at 08:59 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

OOC: Carry a coffin. Not the least bit suspicious .
    It would seem that Lethren's fears are wide spread as less than a dozen a mercenary types beyond the few that Del'nax brought with him, although more could easily have not arrived yet. Del'nax, you can tell it's him because his thin cloak is decorated with many trinkets of little value like broken fish hooks a bent copper pieces, but anyone could tell that each has a mighty story behind it by the way he wears them, slithers down the gangplank and addresses the crowd.
    "As many of you already know, I am the great sea captain Yilsith Del'nax Merrowbane and I am hiring guards to protect my cargo of trade goods from the east on my voyage to the arctic coast against the possiblity of Lizardman bandits. Anyone interested in applying for the position may inquire to my firstmate Gipper here. We sail at dawn."
    With this, Del'nax makes his way into a nearby tavern, the Rusty Harpoon.
    Last edited by 4is111; 2009-09-28 at 09:12 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Lethren stood ready and listened to Del'nax give his speech. It was the same one the he had given to Lethren. He almost missed the boat, due to his bad leg, but with Lathander's grace he made it.

He surveyed the people standing in the harbor, waiting to apply to join. After a quick glance, he made his way slowly the ship to spread the word of his god to those that would listen. He carries his sword strapped to his back, and his mace at his side.

Search Check to find homeless and/or sick people in need of some healing and preaching. (d20)[12]
    Currently Playing:

8. - Top - End - #8

OOC: Normally that'd be more of a gather information check, but I'll let it slide because you could just take 10 and make it.

Gileendil has a sizable slum, like any large city. The beggers are all to eager to listen to another profit promising salvation. As far as port towns go, it isn't that bad, although a petty mugger does try to rob you. He flees in terror when you don't surrender immediately though.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

OOC:Thanks for that. I'm just out to spread the word. So, Diplomacy Check to convert some masses?

(d20+5)[19]
    Currently Playing:

10. - Top - End - #10

You seem to have made a strong impression, although a few beggers murmer about how Lathander can't heal your leg. Still if you ever need a small favor in town, someone will likely be able to help you.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

After the captain made his speech, Albert got in the quickly forming line in front of Gipper and waited patiently until it was his turn to apply. Only a few mercenaries had shown up for this job, not surprisingly, and it was no trouble getting a job on the ship. As he walked away from the docks, Albert noticed a young girl with an umbrella in her hand and a coffin on her back standing on the docks. "I don't even want to know.", he muttered to himself as he headed off to find a good tavern in town.

12. - Top - End - #12

The Rusty Harpoon is near the ship. Most of its tenders are fishermen and retired soldiers. Near the mage's guild is the Eye of Newt were wizard fraternities bing (usually spiked) ale. The Shank & Serpant is located near the slumbs. One can usual gamble a months pay away in a matter of hours there. The Golden Helm is a tavern in the market. Many mercenaries are treasure hunters sleep there on their way though town.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Albert made his way threw the city looking for a good place to drink; passing threw the poor district he spotted a hole in the wall tavern called the Shank & Serpant. On any normal day he would have gone inside just to see what went down, those types of places are where you see things worth talking about; but the ship sails at dawn and he can't risk it. Albert reluctantly passed by the tavern and headed back to the Golden Helm to have a quick drink and spend the night.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Caromire sprints into Gelindel from the south, looking quite harassed and late, and immediately attempts to find out what he's missed.

(1d20-1)[17] (Gather Information)
    Last edited by Roc Ness; 2009-09-29 at 06:35 AM.

Pokedex #999: Roc Ness
    Avvie by Serpentine.

15. - Top - End - #15

Aortal walks up to the boat, and says to any of the crew within sight:

Could you direct me towards Glipper? I wish to apply for the mercenary job.

16. - Top - End - #16

Caromire has no trouble finding the cause of the commotion.

"Another one then? Hey Gibber, some bloke wants to apply!"
    Gibber staggers over to you (it's clear he hasn't found his land legs tail yet). He reads a piece of drift wood, and scratches new marks into it as he addresses you.
    "Alright, you can call me Gipper. You'll recall from our ad that all applicants must be willing to endure several months of sea travel an potentially life threatening situations, and protect the cargo and crew at all costs. You will be payed one share of the profit, or more as the captain sees fit upon our arrival at the arctic coast. The contract will last until we reach our destination, but if you do a good job we can probably rehire you for the return trip. I'll need your name and any special skills you can offer."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Caromire replies immediately.

My name is Caromire, Mr. Gipper! I am willing to protect this ship, crew and cargo, and my specialties are ranged combat, ammunitions craft, practical knowledge of defense against undead, practical agricultural knowledge, a celestial determination and a halfling mind for tactics.

Avvie by Serpentine.

18. - Top - End - #18

Greetings Mr. Glipper. I'm a woman of many skills and few inabilities, hire me, and you'll see how capable I am at anything you put me to. As for my name, I am Ms. Gensou, pleased to meet you. The Doppelganger bows slightly at the end of its speech.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

Kumiko stood at the edge of the docks and gazed at the ship, then the water below her. I'm not sure this is the job for me. Water isn't good. But.. it would get me away from this place, perhaps even find the cure. She thought to herself, spinning her parasol in her hand.

The cure is the most important thing.. that, or death. If I can truly die in this form. But perhaps there is another way.. I just need to get out of here, since the cure is not here.

Kumiko looks around for any boxes or similar being taken off the ship, or loaded onto it.

Spot Check
    (1d20)[5]

20. - Top - End - #20
    Halfling in the Playground

Kokoru was sat in the town's inn when the sea-merchant arrived and gave her oration, and heard only a snatch of it once she had left and walked down to the sea-front to stare at the waves. She was connected to the water, and it pulled her towards it, but today was not the day to go for a swim.
    She needed to find some mercenary job, or person to train her further. Finding someone like that in this place seemed unlikely.

Mr. Glipper, hire me. I have some skill with healing magics, and am also quite proficient in hand-to-hand combat of various styles.
    Saying this, she pricks her hand with a small stone and lets the blood drip onto the ground. She then heals it with a Cure Minor Wounds spell.
    I'd be happy to protect your boat for no fee, I'm not here for money.
    Last edited by KatanaBlade; 2009-09-30 at 09:31 AM.
    Thanks to Sneak for the avatar. *gives him a cookie*

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

As Kumiko gazed around the docks for a sign of packages being loaded and unloaded, she heard the healer talk. A healer? Perhaps she can help me! Kumiko's thoughts offered hopefully.

Kumiko turned towards the healer, and began to open her mouth.

Blood? she whispered, catching sight of the small stream of red liquid splattering against the floor.

Kumiko had not eaten today, and her peculiar diet was hard to provide for herself, she hated sinking to the depths that the one who had caused this for her had, but sometimes there was no choice. The curse would not let her starve.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

After talking with the poor and the homeless, listening to confessions, healing the sick, Lethren decided to head back to the ship and see if anyone interesting had joined up. He slowly made his way back, enjoying the sunlight. It was warm on his neck.

Eventually he returned to see a small pool of candidates standing around Glipper. "Well, the captain seems to have drawn a better crowd this time then he did in the Eastern Sea," he quietly mused to himself. He turned, and made his way to the Rusty Harpoon, in need of a pint of ale. Besides, drunken sailors and bar wenches needed Lathander as much as the homeless and the sick.
    Currently Playing:

23. - Top - End - #23

"One Mr. Caromire, you seem qualied, check.
    One Ms. Gensou, vague but I'm sure the captain can find a use for you, check.
    One Ms. Kokoru, you're just what we're looking for. I hope you'll accept payment out of courtesy if nothing else, check.
    Thats all we need, the rest of you can go home."

The other mercenaries grown and disperse.
    The Roc's Feather seems to have picked up all of its cargo in the east, but the cargo hold isn't full, evidently buisness has been bad.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

"Sails at dawn, eh?"

Caromire's knowledge of halfling tactics kicks in, and begins to look for a shop of the alchemical nature.

[roll0] (Spot)

OOC: ((For future reference, what is the AC and hp of a ship's mast, and what is the penalty for having a flask stuck to your arrow?))

Avvie by Serpentine.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

OOC: I forgot I had a roll and pressed preview post...

(1d20+6)[14]

Avvie by Serpentine.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

Kumiko stands watching the ship. I must feed.. But I must try not to hurt anyone that will be missed.

Then she stalks off into the town, and looks for an alley-way suitable for her purposes (dark, and away from other people), and waits in it for someone to walk past.

27. - Top - End - #27

There is an alchemy shop in town: The Caustic Caldron
    You can by any alchemical items from the player's handbook here, they also brew potions on request, and could probably make anything else alchemical you needed.

Sanity- When night falls you have no trouble putting a helpless begger out of his misery, or several injured.
    Last edited by 4is111; 2009-10-01 at 01:49 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

When Albert arrived at the Golden Helm the sun was setting in the sky and things in the city were just starting to quiet down. He headed up to his room and dropped of his gear, except for 2 daggers and his sword, and headed downstairs to the tavern. He sat down at the bar, bought a pint of ale, and listened to the conversation around him. After some time he turned to the bartender, ordered another drink, and asked what he knew about the town.

[Gather information check to learn basic info about Gileendil (1d20+3)[16] ]

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Caromire strides into the Caustic Cauldron.

"Pardon me, but may I enquire if you have a pint of oil, something inexpensive along the lines of alchemist's fire, but more explosive, and, if you have the last item may I enquire if you have any Sovereign Glue and the cost of a small dip of the tip of an arrow shaft into it."

Avvie by Serpentine.

30. - Top - End - #30

Aortal goes to the inn, and asks the inn keeper for a room for the night, pays, and goes to the room right away - where it spends the few hours before nightfall reading.