New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Insanowar 9: diet insanowar lite

((Well, normally the one whose turn it is determines the outcome-unless it becomes contested-but in my mind at least, what you say makes it part of one pick against a whole one. 1000 kobolds seems fair enough to me.))
    Spoiler
    Show

by Happyturtle and Ashen Lilies

FFR Links:

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

See, but I doubt the Gekkos can really run that much faster than a fit human... At least, to the point where they'd arrive in a very short amount of time. The portal was still there; couldn't they just jump back in as soon as they saw the Gekkos coming? Or flee into the tunnels? They'd have to be pretty suicidal or mindless to wait for their slaughterers to come and get them.

Plus, this brings up the whole sillyness of involving Muad'Dib and precognizance; couldn't he have warned the kobolds the Gekkos would move, and instruct them to flee at a certain landmark? I suppose one could say he doesn't see *everything*, but then what would be the point in having him anyways?

And no Godzilla vs. Gekkos encounter?
    The artist formerly known as Tired N' Drowzy, master of puns.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Orc in the Playground

Gekkos? They run quite a bit faster than a human, fast enough to keep up with a fleeing APC in the game they're from. They also leap. A lot. Hence the stomping.

And precognition, IMO, is only going to give people headaches in this game.
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

4. - Top - End - #124

True. I'll probably use it to justify some set-ups such as turrets, stickies (blind detonation, anyone?), and portal positioning.

As for the Gekkos, yes, but the kobolds would still have time to flee. The Gekkos were released after the kobolds had flooded out in the center; they'd be able to react to them charging forward... 2/3 losses seems a little harsh for a slaughter they could see coming from several miles away... Especially considering the future-sight plans, which would have been completely inaccurate to just overlook slaughters of that degree in addition to a lack of real outcome.

And what to make of Godzilla? Isn't he here, too?

5. - Top - End - #125
    Orc in the Playground

Point taken. 500 or 499 seems fair enough. I was prepared to be flexible with this due to the sheer number of kobolds, anyway.

On Godzilla: I don't think it's exactly fair for the two of us to debate what someone else's unit would have done.
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

6. - Top - End - #126
    Orc in the Playground

I thought Paul's precognition would work like i ruled time travel as a one off Mulligan, so Mr Drowzy could if he wanted get back some of his troops by invoking Paul's vision but personally I would leave it until later.

I have only read dune (and that was a long time ago, must reread) so I have no idea how big a nerf to Paul this is (I remember Paul being a pretty powerful fighter with a personal forcefield) so if you have a problem with this leave me a message.

Also remember it your turn next so you can get some revenge by hitting his geckos hard

oh and there no summary between rounds so get cracking.

Have now edited it so hopefully is a little bit more readable.
    Last edited by Robert Blackletter; 2009-11-09 at 12:14 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Johel View Post
    Because utopia is a dream, humans are bastards and any attempt to really flesh out Neverland turns it into Battle Royal island, only with pirates, cannibal children, man-eating mermaids, sadistic Indians, nymphomaniac fairies and Godzilla with a ringing tummy.

I have a specific learning difficulty, if I misuse grammar, misspell or otherwise abuse the written word, forgive me

7. - Top - End - #127

The mass of kobolds visually fluxuates as the Gekkos draw near; they seem to be at roughly a 50-50 split, their ranks quickly thinning between the rock and some patch of ground; at an astonishing speed, the kobolds begin to disappear, through what can, as the crowd thins, be identified as a small, orange-rimmed pit in the ground. The rest crowd into the small amounts they have mined into the rock, going back as far as possible.

When the Gekkos arrive, the sight is not pretty. They charge about, stomping and crushing the kobolds in their paths; the thick skulls of the dragon-creatures are crushed like eggs underneath the powerful legs of the Gekkos; as they begin to run away, the Gekkos open fire, clearing through their ranks with terrifying speed. Many of the kobolds dive for their fallen comrades, hiding underneath them or picking them up and using them as cover. Soon, all the kobolds have left the field; the four hundred or so who made it into the rock have managed to use the vast piles of bodies of the dead to block the entrance from fire or entry; even could the Gekkos tear through the bodies, they would not be able to fit in the tunnels, for they are very small.

~

"Sir!" Shouts a man with a very militaristic demeanor about him, giving a salute to the one called Muad'Dib. "The kobolds- they're being slaughtered! And fast!"

"Move quickly," says the blind prophet, his expression and tone unchanged. "Send a brief offensive; enough to clear them away. We need that position!"

"Yes sir!"

~

The Gekkos slow their movements as the smoke clears away; on the ground, some 200 kobolds lie dead, many others having been dragged to the makeshift tunnel that had been mined. It was no use moving in, of course. It is now, however, that one of the Gekkos spots the slight disturbance in the terrain. It appears to be... Some sort of hole. And... Yes! There is a base underneath! Perhaps the kobolds had been doing more than simply mining! The Gekko makes its way towards the hole, slowing its movements as it comes closer. Prepared to slaughter the mass of kobolds that had escaped inside, it pokes its head in, scanning the area...

KABOOM!!!

The two legs, no longer attached to any form of head, fall to the ground, the burned blood covering the surrounding area. Two others quickly charge forward, opening fire into the pit, but are met only with a barrage of pipe bombs fired out; they are both hit several times, and take heavy damage; retreating backwards, they motion to their allies to move. Three more of the Gekkos leap into the air, turning down and gunning at the hole, only to hear... Nothing. The bullets sink only into the grass, and they land to find the hole... Gone. As if it never existed at all.

Now what?

~

"Haha! Got 'em!" Shouts the one called Demoman, turning away with a grin as the woman called Chell clicks a button on her gun. The apperture he had been firing into closes, and they turn to the escaped kobolds.

"Well, what were you able to acqure?" Asks the one known as Spy, a freshly lit cigarette in his mouth. "Any of the red stuff supposedly stashed there?"

"I got three pounds!" Shouts one, holding forward his hands excitedly.

"I got two pounds!" Shouts another, doing the same.

"...I got a rock," speaks a third rather sadly, holding forward a small piece of granite.

"We must n't waste more time; the supply is limited, but we should get to work right away. Boss said this'd take care of anyone- nay, anything 't gets in our path!" Speaks the man called Sniper, fingering his hat and smiling.

With that, the kobolds make for the staircase in the wall of the barracks, descending to the new, larger lab of the man referred to as Q.

~

"Well, now what?" Asks one kobold, quite small among the rest, with a broken leg and a bullet wound on his chest. "Now we're stuck, and they're going to come and get us soon."

"Yeah, this sucks." Complains another, nervously fingering his pick. "I should've never quit dental school."

"Well, whoopdy doo!" Shouts another, throwing his hands into the air. "Let's just do nothing about it, then! They're coming to get us, and let's all just sit here and complain about it!"

"I don't hear you coming up with any better ideas!"

"Come on, guys, you're making me disappointed. Look, we know which way the base is. We have enough of us here to make it back to our base; I'll bet they're coming to meet us now. Let's just get to it and we'll be back before we know it."

"Master said to mine the red stuff! What if he gets angry?"

"We'll have plenty of time for that later. We're of no use to him dead."

"Point taken."

~

The base is visibly seeing much improvement; large, steel sheets are being carried and fused along the walls of the base, constructing a steel fortress reaching to the bunkers on every side. The fortress stands perhaps three or four stories in height, and has a very tall tower reaching out over the top by this point; although it has few defenses, it looks as if, the right army provided, it could hold back a substantial force.

Spoiler
    Show
    Personal Casualties:
    499 Kobolds

Enemy Casualties:
    1 Gekko dead, 2 Gekkos injured

Troops Remaining:
    Paul Muad'Dib (Base or tunnels)
    Scout, Pyro, Soldier, Demoman, Heavy, Engineer, Sniper, Medic, Spy (Base or tunnels)
    8500 Kobolds (8300 Base or Tunnels, 200 Central Cave)
    Q, Bond (Base or tunnels)
    Chell, Weighted Companion Cube (Base or Tunnels)

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, so now I have to ask about the terrain. Is it grassy? Dirty? Desert-like? Grey stone? Brown stone? White stone? I'm going to need appearance details for when my turn rolls around.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Orc in the Playground

Dirty, dry mud plain with a whole lot of grey and brown rocks scattered about is how i see it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Because utopia is a dream, humans are bastards and any attempt to really flesh out Neverland turns it into Battle Royal island, only with pirates, cannibal children, man-eating mermaids, sadistic Indians, nymphomaniac fairies and Godzilla with a ringing tummy.

I have a specific learning difficulty, if I misuse grammar, misspell or otherwise abuse the written word, forgive me

10. - Top - End - #130
    Orc in the Playground

Croverus has until 9pm Saturday 13th November (gmt) to post or we skip his turn
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

(Sorry guys, being military really restricts my schedule sometimes I just want to be clear, when Godzilla shows up in the center and starts tearing the place appart, will I determine how many forces are destroyed or does each player determine how many of their troops are killed?)

12. - Top - End - #132
    Orc in the Playground

You decide on what damage is done but be fair cos others do the same to you. And do you need more time? Not a prob if you do, anyone got a prob extending to mon? (If you need more let us know)
    Robert blackletter
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #133

I don't mind, as long as the other players at least try to start writing theirs soon, if only to move things along. I don't mind waiting, but much prefer moving rapidly. Take your time if you need it.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't mind extending it if he needs to. As for speed you can expect my turns to go pretty fast. I have the bad habit of thinking 2-3 turns in advance in things like this, then adjusting my plans based on what happens.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Orc in the Playground

O.k let get this moving again, I say we skip Croverus go, he can post when he gets back, but untill then let the next player take there turn. That make it Kyouhen turn.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Sorry for my absence. I have been in the hospital with a collpased lung since Thursday, November 12. I did not have any internet access while in the hospital.

17. - Top - End - #137

...Yeesh. I'm... Sorry.

Are you alright? I say others just make sure their actions are written so they can respond nigh-instantly after Croverus; I'd hate to see him lose opportunity due to misfortune; that'd just be adding an insult to injury. Croverus, take as much time as you need to heal; if you don't think you're going to continue the game, let us know, but if you are I can wait. Hope it's better or soon will be with the lung.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Godzilla arrives in the center, seeing the kobolds retrreating from Gekkos. It doesn't care what any of them are as it charges up a plasma blast and unleashes hell, streaking a beam back and forth across the area, destroying the two injured Gekkos and damages another, while the kobolds learn that their tunnels provide no protection from the terrible blast and all but a handful of the Koblods are wiped out by the beam and from tunnels collapsing.

A shimmer at the base where the kobolds came from moves along the edges simply watching.

The red and white balls roll towards the base where the Gekkos were from, rolling from one pile of debris to an outcropping of rocks. They occassionally made noise, simply saying "Electrode. Electrode."

The giant mech at base stood vigilant, looking about and keeping all sensors on incase of a surprise attack.

Under the ground around the base, the zerglings relaxed, patiently waiting to pop up and tear apart something.

Units
    Spoiler
    Show

36 Zerglins - burrowed
    10 Electrode - on the move
    1 Godzilla - At center, destroying units
    1 Shining Gundum - Guarding Base
    1 Starcraft Ghost - cloaked, scouting

Casualties
    Spoiler
    Show

2 Gekkos destroyed, 1 Gekkos damaged
    170 Koblods in center are killed by the beam or tunnels collapsing afterwords

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

The Facehuggers finally reach the centre of the battlefield and quickly scatter, hiding beneath various rocks and in the shadows, doing their best to avoid the overly large stompy things running around.

Construction continues within the base, and the Metroids seem to be getting a little fidgety with all the fighting in the middle that they don't get to be part of.

Spoiler
    Show

12 Metroids - At Base
    20 Facehuggers - Hiding in middle
    3 Tomb Spyders - At Base
    5 Loxodon Menders - At Base

20. - Top - End - #140
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Croverus View Post
    Sorry for my absence. I have been in the hospital with a collpased lung since Thursday, November 12. I did not have any internet access while in the hospital.
    God, are you alright now? Take as long as you need dude with the next update and hope you get/are better
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #141

Quote Originally Posted by Croverus View Post
    The kobolds learn that their tunnels provide no protection from the terrible blast and all but a handful of the Koblods are wiped out by the beam and from tunnels collapsing.

Casualties
    Spoiler
    Show

170 Koblods in center are killed by the beam or tunnels collapsing afterwords
    :/ Don't know if my long post was intimidating, but... The tunnels are already totally covered by hundreds of corpses; they're essentially already completely buried. Don't see how much rock he could shoot his laser through to burn through it, but if he managed to kill that many he's a better miner than they are.

Plus they retreated pretty deep...

22. - Top - End - #142
    Orc in the Playground

24hr warning to tower, if he not posted or got in contact by 9pm GMT tomorrow then we skip.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #143
    Barbarian in the Playground

Get this in after school tonight. I have 3 minutes until I have to leave, or else I would do it now.
    Thanks goes to Vampire Pumpkin for my awesome avatar!

Formerly known as The Fiery Tower Formerly known as Catseye2121.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Barbarian in the Playground

Shepherd found out quickly that this wasn't a two sided battle. Up with the snipers, he could see different figures out in the distance, many of them fighting. Eventually one big shadow shows up...

Hey, see if you can pick off any of those...

On it.

Two seconds later, a couple of shots ring. 1 hit, 1 miss. A few more shots, some of them hits. There was even an eplosion or two.

I think I hit that thing's eye! ...What is it, anyway?

Serenty is ready to fly, on your mark.

Shepherd smiled to himself. This is going to be easier then I thought.

Casualties
    Spoiler
    Show
    2 electrodes
    1 facehugger
    1 eye of Godzilla

My Units
    Spoiler
    Show
    MASS EFFECT - In the trenches
    Commander Shepherd - With the snipers
    Liara
    Ashley Williams
    Sgt. Alenko
    Garrus
    Wrex
    Tali'Zorah

REPUBLIC COMMANDO - In the trenches
    Boss
    Scorch
    Sev - With the snipers
    Fixer

FIREFLY - Preparing Serenity
    Serenity - In the hanger bay
    Mal
    Jayne
    Simon
    River
    Inara
    Zoe
    Wash
    Kaylee
    Book

GEARS OF WAR - Trenches
    Marcus
    Dominic
    Baird
    Cole
    Carmine(Ben) -With the snipers

HALO 3: ODST - Trenches
    Buck
    Romeo - With the snipers
    Dutch
    Mickey
    Dare

Is shooting out an eye of godzilla much? I'm not sure.
    Thanks goes to Vampire Pumpkin for my awesome avatar!

Formerly known as The Fiery Tower Formerly known as Catseye2121.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Orc in the Playground

The last two Gekkos return to the base.

>MK: Throw hat down in disgust.
    -----You curse the survivability of these monstrosities!
    >Next.
    -----You hear the sound of some kind of saw, and a loud moaning as if from a zombie, and all is silent once again.
    >MK: Send damaged Gekko to Wulfenbach.
    -----You cleverly decide to off one of the things by sending the damaged one off to the Baron. It limps to the lab.
    >Next.
    -----Baron Wulfenbach steps out of the lab, staring at the damaged Gekko.
    >MK: Apologize profusely for the loss of the three other Gekkos.
    -----The Baron seems unaffected by the loss. He glances at the damaged one, watching a blood-like fluid drip from one of its legs. "Interesting..." The Gekko follows him into the lab.
    >Next.
    -----You hear a loud moo and the saw again, before more silence settles on the battlefield. You put your HAT back on and head for the safety of cover. That giant walker looks to be doing something...

The AT-AT, meanwhile, spots the advancing Electrodes and blows them away with a blaster cannon barrage.

[Casualties]

Spoiler
    Show
    Damaged Gekko
    Electrodes

[Army List]

Spoiler
    Show
    Baron Wulfenbach-in the lab
    Mobster Kingpin-hiding in the base
    19 Robot Zombies-shambling around the base
    1 Gekko-jumping around the base
    AT-AT-standing over the base like a giant ominous guard dog
    Last edited by Darkcomet; 2009-11-19 at 11:16 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

26. - Top - End - #146

"Sir!"

"Is there something the matter, soldier?"

"They're tearing through the center of the battlefield! We've gotta get the commander! We might not be able to make status quo!"

"He knows what he's doing; I doubt he just sent them off to die!"

The furious sound of footsteps fill the top of the tower, and a kobold soon emerges from the newly erected stairwell.

"Ssssir!" Shouts the kobold, stepping into the room atop the tower. "Sliz's keyboard's broken! He's been mashing the 'E' key for thirty minutes now, calling for a medic! We need you down there immediately!"

"I'll be right there."

~

"How goes the progress?"

"It's no good, sir. We've got a lot of stock, but not nearly enough to design an effective prototype. I'm going to need at least twice this amount before I'll be able to copy the arrangement."

"Well, what've you got?"

"Just a proton laser. Barely enough to cut through steel."

"And what of the barrier?"

"The blueprints make no sense! I'll be here for days before being able to perfect it! I don't even know what the hell a projection device is!"

"What do you need?"

"Ask Muad'dib what we need to affix this to. I think the solar ionizer is working, but ask him what else we need."

"I'll get on it. I just need to reinforce the western perimeter cannon and we should be up; it's been on the fritz as of late."

~

"Dammit, we're taking heavy casualties!"

"Tunnel faster! Faster, dammit!"

"What the hell is this?! We're trapped! We're barely thirty strong!!! How the hell do we make it out from here?!"

"Guys, it's charging up again!"

"Get away!"

Another laser tears through the interior of the cave, taking out another kobold.

"Holy Bahamut! What the hell is going on?! We're gonna die!"

"No, we're not. Not yet, anyways."

"What is it, sir?"

"Take a look for yourself."

The brilliant red cavern before them stretches on farther than the kobolds can see. Crystals cover the walls, and the supply seems nigh-endless.

"...Jackpot. Boys, start to dig through this. I have a feeling we're getting rescued."

~

Other information to come later; Croverus can go ahead.
    Last edited by Wreckingrocc; 2009-11-20 at 12:03 AM.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

[Casualties]

Spoiler
    Show
    Damaged Gekko
    Electrodes

(How many? They're spread otu and can roll at over 100 mph, so unlikely you killed ALL of them. And now that you have their attention)

What few remaining electrodues survive the ATAT attack shout in anger and roll full speed at the machines feet, impacting with bright flashes and exploding with such force as to completely destroy the frotn feet and damage the back left one.

Godzilla roars in anger as one of its eyes stings a bunch, it closes its eye and stomps about the middle, looking about with its good eye for where the pain came from.

The hazy shape of the cloaked ghost moves off, heading back to base for new orders.

Casualties

Spoiler
    Show

The rest of the electrodes are gone
    AT-AT is crippled and possibly will be damaged from fallign over
    Godzilla's stomping kills 4 facehuggers by chance

Units
    Spoiler
    Show

Ghost - Cloaked
    Gundam - guarding base
    Zerglings - Burrowed at base
    Godzilla - In middle, angry and blind in 1 eye

28. - Top - End - #148
    Orc in the Playground

...okay. No. You do NOT go and try to ask someone something then go through with it anyway.

Heads will roll over this. Oh yes.
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

The Facehuggers, faced with a difficult choice, decide they'd rather not have to deal with the large stompy lizard and exploding balls above ground. The majority of them slip into the tunnels after the Kobolds. Most of them do what they can to avoid sight of the Kobolds and find some nice cracks and dark corners to hide in. A few manage to find some stragglers and do what Facehuggers do so well.

Seeing an opportunity some of the Metroids pass through the glowing wall, small holes appearing for them as they approach it. They fan out as they move quickly towards the battle in the middle, flying high enough to stay clear of the carnage below.

And still the sounds of furious building continues!

Units
    Spoiler
    Show

12 Metroids - 9 at base, 3 at the middle
    11 Facehuggers - 7 in Kobold tunnels, 4 in middle
    3 Tomb Spyders - At Base
    5 Loxodon Menders - At Base

Casualties
    Spoiler
    Show

4 Kobolds - being 'hugged'
    4 Facehuggers - 'hugging'

30. - Top - End - #150

[OOC: Kyouhen, the tunnels are barricaded completely by about twenty feet of kobold bodies. They'd be hard-pressed to get in; the bodies have taken quite a beating, and the wall is rather thick.]
    Last edited by Wreckingrocc; 2009-11-22 at 01:36 PM.