New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default Dreamself Categories

Was talking with some folks and it seems we all have a sort of 'dream personality' and was trying to gather together some categories.

Me, I'm the 'Night Warrior' type. I literally go through dreams like a rabid adventurer. Going into the darkest places destroying whatever attacks me, sometimes in ways that surprise me that even my subconscious could come up with. I've never run away from anything in my dreams, but I'm always, without fail attacked by something. That's where I get many of my homebrew monster ideas.

Friends and family also claim that I run into their dreams and kill whatever monster is chasing them.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Dreamself Categories

I have very few dreams (At least that I can remember) but a giant cluster of nightmares. Yeah, my subconscious is awesome.
    Feel free to catch me on MSN if you ever feel like a chat! You can find me under "ChocolateHeathen (At) Hotmail (Dot) com", most days.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

My dreams generally have me in a big watchful position. And I see all these things that I want to make happen or make not happen, but they're fixed and all I can do is postpone them. Usually it's me dying, or someone else dying or becoming lost. Sometimes it's galaxies swirling into nothingness and going dark. And I always see where I'll be standing at the pivotal moment, and how it will happen, but no matter how far or fast I run, no matter how I fight or struggle I always am wrenched into that position and wind up facing what I spent the dream trying to prevent.

If I see a guy is going to kill me at the beginning of the dream, for example, and I kill him first it was his twin I saw who comes after me in vengeance. But if I leave him alone he kills me.

Edit: So I guess I'm the Cassandra?
    Last edited by golentan; 2009-10-12 at 11:06 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Dream personality? Well...in my dreams, when I can comprehend them, and if I'm actually a part of the dream (all my dreams seem to take place in third person), I'm usually the cautious explorer, often frightened by the strange environments around me *my dreams often lead me to places where I get lost and have to keep moving through strange places to find where I am*, while trying to make sure I never miss an important detail or make a mistake in dream logic (which I usually do, because my dream world is rarely predictable). Usually by the end of my dream, I'm still lost, but I've at least gotten to the next part of my dreamscape. Occasionally I wind up waking myself up to get out of the dream world, though usually I just fade out of dreaming. I wouldn't call them ngihtmares, because it's not all that terrifying, but it certainly isn't the traditional pink clouds dream.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    ...How does one cuddle mercilessly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Curse your Introbulosity!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't dream very often. When I do, generally the dream is long and has a fairly complex plot. But what it really boils down to is: Exposition, talk with someone I care about, exposition/travel, I fight something and win, exposition/travel, I fight something and win, exposition/travel, I fight something and die. It doesn't always go exactly that way, but that's the general pattern. So I guess the warrior personality fits me.
    Last edited by SurlySeraph; 2009-10-12 at 11:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I tend to dream of concepts rather than events. Emotions, feelings, sounds, that kind of thing. There is no setting or action.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

when i actually have a coherent dream, I'm usually a roguish character. skulking about, having running fights with stuff that would destroy me in a fair one.
    that is, when it's not rainbows and unicorns stuff, which is extremely rare.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

The futile fighter, generally. In most every dream I can remember, I'm fighting something - zombies are a common feature, but so are insurgents, robots or civilians - and I'm either losing or out of ammo. The odd part is how detached everything is. No fear, no nothing. Like watching a movie.
    My latest homebrew: Majokko base class and Spellcaster Dilettante feats for D&D 3.5 and Races as Classes for PTU.

Currently Playing
    Raiatari Eikibe - Ghostfoot's RHOD Righteous Resistance

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post
    Was talking with some folks and it seems we all have a sort of 'dream personality' and was trying to gather together some categories.

Me, I'm the 'Night Warrior' type. I literally go through dreams like a rabid adventurer. Going into the darkest places destroying whatever attacks me, sometimes in ways that surprise me that even my subconscious could come up with. I've never run away from anything in my dreams, but I'm always, without fail attacked by something. That's where I get many of my homebrew monster ideas.

Friends and family also claim that I run into their dreams and kill whatever monster is chasing them.
    I hardly ever am affected by or initiate violence in my dreams, although I do occasionally see it. Sometimes I die or am killed but the violence is not usually prolonged.

In most of my dreams I am not 'myself' but a personality who is part of the story of the dreams.

My dreams are often nightmares, normally pervaded by a sense of wrongness about the environment or situation.
    Last edited by Myshlaevsky; 2009-10-13 at 12:07 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

I am usually a person lost confused and swept along by continually changing events and locations and objectives. Sometimes I am me and sometimes I am a third party observer.

11. - Top - End - #11

I guess I would call it an explorer or adventurer, cause that's what many of my dreams consist of: exploring places with the occasional quest.

For example a recent dream was just me in a party that was taking place in a city i used to live in. The party was boring and I just waited for it to finish and for everyone to go to sleep so I could re visit the city i hadn't seen in so long. The whole party was fast forwarded to me going around the city, which was what the most of the dream consisted of.

Another recent one, I was exploring a university setting, a girl promised me... something, but then disappeared. I asked her friend and she told me that the girl loved me but that she had to leave. So I took my rocket bike (no freaking idea where that came from) and left to find her. During the bicycle ride two other girls started following me and for some reason the whole thing turned into an epic rocket-bicycle race. Unfortunately I woke up before finding out why the girl left, or why where these two girls following me, or why was it important that I got there first.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

I have dreams where all my senses are active. Sight, touch, hearing, taste, and even smell. The dream always varies but I'm usually a champion of justice or a good hearted strategist.

Though a few times I was like an evil overlord and a creepy scientist. I actually felt that when I slashed an innocent person, all I was doing was splitting apart the atom's that were bound to each other and had no thought of the person having a soul. When I look back, it was a creepy feeling to think that even *I* didn't have a soul and was just electric impulses through electrons. That's all I felt about the world in that dream, just down to the atomic level.

So ya, when those very rare times happen. IT'S BAD!!
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

I have very vivid night warrior dreams. I slay giants, using spears and my superior leaping abilities, I sometimes take flight, but it's never an easy task, so I'm clearly not a dream mage. I usually don't snore, but I've been told I sound like I'm fighting when I sleep. I sometimes wake up cause I punch my bed post.

I usually remember my dreams very well for a couple of days afterwards. I try to write them down, but alas, I'm not that organized.
    The Crimson Drake by Crimmy

Full Size Image Below
    Spoiler
    Show

Empty Spoiler Below
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Problem solver, I suppose. Usually the problem is solved with bullets. Okay, not usually. But... I'm often in a position where I have to figure out a problem, help myself, or help other people. Save my GF from crack-heads? Done it. Conquer the forces of Chaos in the 41st Millenium? Done it. Fight off a were-shark with a fire axe while trapped in a lifeboat I randomly appeared in with a bunch of people I just met? Done it. Forgot to do my homework, and I'm going to fail the class if I don't turn a report in this afternoon? Done it. Chased through Wal-mart by a Terminator? Done it. I always wind up in some zanny situation, and have to work my way out of it...

Off the top of my head, I'd say a common theme in my dreams as of late is me as an Imperial Commissar. I blame all the Warhammer 40K stuff I read. I finished 3 Gaunt's Ghosts books in less than 2 weeks. One only took me about 48 hours. That HAS to have an affect on your subconscious.
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

My regular dreams are high octane nightmare fuel for most people so I prolly shouldn't discuss them too much on GitP. Although it would be nice to occasionally see the mods do a spit take...
    Revised avatar by Trixie, New avvie by Crisis21!
    Mah Fluffy Death Critters
    Orcs and Goblins
    Behold the Power of Kitteh!
    Backup threads available here

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

My Dream Persona is Arthur Dent. I go through the most surreal adventures, and WTF scenarios, most related to school or everyday life, only turned 90 degrees oven-wise, and walk through them as if it were a perfectly ordinary day. Mortal avatar of the Lord Buddha who randomly visits households and asked me to eat some pancakes drenched in green dye for some reason or other? *eats pancakes*
    Last edited by Ashen Lilies; 2009-10-13 at 05:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm... like Vorpal Tribble and Jesse Drake, it seems that my REM self subscribes to the Dokken doctrine as well.

We're the Dream Warriors!

A full 90% of the dreams I remember involve me battling evil, frequently in another dimension, almost always in passionate melee. Interestingly, I am never afraid in these dreams - supremely confident and often having a blast as I clash swords with evil men and otherworldly monsters.

Usually these dreams also transition into amorous scenes involving myself and my wife, and then re-energized, I leap back into battle to save the world, or at least the neighborhood. I do show up in a couple of my friends dreams as well, lending a helping hand, or leading the way out of a dangerous struggle.

It's like my dream self thinks it's in a series of Dolph Lundgren movies. And that's pretty awesome by me.
    Last edited by OverdrivePrime; 2009-10-13 at 07:08 AM.
    Homebrew World: Daera - high fantasy setting on a world without humans
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    If the world was a Hollywood movie, Overdrive would be the protagonist.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

Meh, swords? Dude, free your mind. I once went over and ripped up a telephone pole and went Neo on an army of demons (this was before I'd ever seen it).

Other fun methods:

Pull down a ceiling fan and start spinning. Meat grinders'r'us.

Hedgeclippers are also your friend.

Phase through walls and pull them halfway. Instant decapitation fun!

Despite the true scenarios above, I rarely make use of weapons. I tend more towards the biting and ripping apart of my enemies with bare hands. My favorite thing to do seems to be grabbing and breaking necks/spines. It just seems... natural.

I have two sisters that say I turn into a giant black were-lion or wolf in their dreams. It's like I'm me, but an animal. They then go on to describe fights 'I' dreamt. Really very odd.

Hmm... like Vorpal Tribble and Jesse Drake, it seems that my REM self subscribes to the Dokken doctrine as well.
    Awww, yeah. Freddy might at least provide some sport. I actually dreamt of him once after watching the movies. I collapsed into a pile of black beetles and no matter what he did, there were always MORE of me skittering about. I finished him off as he stomped beetles over and over, and the goo cemented him to the ground. I then swarmed over him, ate him, and gained his powers.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2009-10-13 at 07:42 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Im not sure whether I dream or not. I stay in a semi-conscious state where I can still feel my bed and body, but can think deeper about random stuff. I re-play recent chess games, remember today's lesson, think about the plot in a game Im playing.... but no, nothing "outside" my real life.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Kris View Post
    My Dream Persona is Arthur Dent. I go through the most surreal adventures, and WTF scenarios, most related to school or everyday life, only turned 90 degrees oven-wise, and walk through them as if it were a perfectly ordinary day. Mortal avatar of the Lord Buddha who randomly visits households and asked me to eat some pancakes drenched in green dye for some reason or other? *eats pancakes*
    Ditto! My viewpoint within a dream is blasé and Arthur Dent is a good example. I've been dreaming while conscious for too long, I think, and it dulled the sensation of not having control over the route of the dream.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm a lot bolder in my dreams. I'm usually very interested in what is going on, but not unnerved or confused.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

I have two distinct types of dreams: those I'm aware I'm dreaming, and those I'm not. Those I'm not aware are usually mundane, with increasingly minor changes made to the setting until I can finally tell its a dream. I'd call my personality in these dreams "the belabored experiencer". I'm usually going through my normal day, but odd things keep piling up. Like they move my cube at work, then my new area is on the roof, then we have a field day where everyone needs to dress as ninjas... Then its lucid dreaming time.

Once I'm aware its a dream the only way to describe my personality is "Baddest man in the universe". The dreams usually change at this point. Used to be fun to do the "dream warrior" thing. At this point though I'm nigh-omnipotent, totally invulnerable and can handle whatever gets thrown at me.

Fortunately it does not always devolve into combat. When I get control, if I can I try to find my deceaced father. We do stupid mundane things like rebuild car engines, watch movies, or go shopping. Still its a great time.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd like to note that that I've never died or done any sort of combat in a dream. Not in the sleeping, fully unaware and out of it sort anyway.
    It's strange, how dream me is so... normal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Colossus in the Playground

The other night, I was the guy from Ninja Gaiden, and I was hanging out with the Statue of Liberty cuz I was sad...

I dunno, I think I'm sort of an adventurer-type, kinda. Or a dragon, sometimes.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Kris View Post
    Also this. Very much this. Though not many school dreams anymore.

...Now I want pancakes, darn it. >.<

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

My dreamself is the Long Distance Runner. I'm usually either chasing something or evading something. I'm always, always running around to achieve some objective or another. Sometimes I'm trying to find something, sometimes trying to hide something, sometimes trying to catch someone, or get away from someone...
    My dreams often are in 'real life locations,' which I know, in the dream, are my house or my school or some other real life location, but once I wake up, I know they look nothing like that location. Sometimes, however, they're in completely wierd locations that my REM makes up.

@v: I know there have been times (recently!) when I've ended my dream screaming profanities, and woken up all startled, but my roommate didn't hear a thing. It's the wierdest thing ever.
    Last edited by blackfox; 2009-10-13 at 09:01 AM.
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, been a couple years since the last dream with my early-mid-teens crush(maybe I've finally moved on), but I seem to be auto-injurious. My most recent one was last night, where I dreamt that someone pushed somebody else, who then knocked into me, resulting in me smashing the back of my skull into the floor, with temporary loss of consciousness(yes, I went unconscious for a few seconds while dreaming. Don't ask me how that works.). Then there was the time I dreamt I kept eating my fingers and they kept growing back.

The dreams with the crush seemed to involve a lot of cases of her going through military training with me. Wouldn't really have surprised me if she had indeed done so IRL though, as she was on the sportier(although not butch) side.

I've also woken myself up midway through screaming profanities. Like waking up with an "uck!" after something particularly offended me.
    President of the Society for Hobgoblin Equality in Level Adjustment(SHELA)

Glowing Kitty from Lilly
    Wren Worgatar by Mephibosheth
    The Living Bullet!
    Unusual Inner Animal Avatar from Quincunx.
    Whenever you mention Pun-pun*SQUELCH!*, Ao kills another Kobold.
    Everytime someone says "Pazuzu" twice, Ao erases them on the next "Pa". Then he undeletes them so he can wipeinfo them from the multiverse.
    Everytime you kill a catgirl, I get more company.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

Very aggressive but insecure. Not afraid of anything physical but afraid of being thought a fool.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm as much of a nerd in dreams as I am in real life, and have been for as long as I can remember. Last night I dreamt something about Sith. I also remember that I thought (in-dream) that my dream didn't make sense. Strange.

Also, speaking of dreams, does anyone know a reliable method for controlling them? I don't want to try anything unless I know it's going to work.
    Last edited by Athaniar; 2009-10-13 at 09:24 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

I guess I'd call my dreamself "The Audience." I very rarely see myself, or interact with things, in my dreams. It all happens, and I'm the observer. I just sit back and enjoy the show. It's usually all symbolic characters and events.