New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Mageguns 3.5

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Mageguns 3.5

Here are the weapons for the Spellshot campaign setting I'm creating.
    The major premise of the setting is that a genius alchemist invented a cheap yet powerful weapon that can fire tiny darts at incredible speeds. Goblins steal the plans, mass produced them, and kill off most high level non-outsiders. Now melee combat is mostly suicidal and everyone's packin'.

{table=head]Name|DMG(s)|DMG(m)|Critical|Range increment|Weight|Damage Type
    Magepistol, light|3d4|3d6|19-20/X2|30ft|2 lbs| Slashing
    Magepistol, heavy|3d4|3d6|19-20/X2|30ft|3 lbs| Slashing
    Spellgun, light|4d6|4d8|X2|80ft|8 lbs| Piercing
    Spellgun, heavy|4d8|4d10|X2|90ft|19 lbs| Piercing
    Spellgun, magestyle|4d4|4d6|X2|70ft|6 lbs| Piercing
    Magegun, shortshot|3d4|3d6|X3|60ft|6 lbs| Piercing
    Magegun, longshot|3d4|3d6|X3|110ft|7 lbs| Piercing
    Magegun, straighthot|3d4|3d6|X3|70ft|7 lbs| Piercing
    Wood Sorcerer |5d4|5d6|X4|20ft|7 lbs| Bludgeoning
    [/table]

Magepistols are one handed ranged weapons that resemble a hand crossbow except without the bow. Two special crystals levitate a specially crafted dart into the chamber then launches it forward at increadible speeds. A magepistol holds 10 shots before needing to be reloaded. Loading a magepistol is a move action that provokes attacks of opportunity.

Mageguns are larger two handed magepistol. Mageguns use seven cystals to fire darts. A magegun holds 5 shots before needing to be reloaded. Loading a magegun is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity.

Spellguns fire several darts at once. Light and Heavy spellgun require two handed to fire. The more compact magestyle spellgun needs only one hand. A spellgun holds 5 shots before needing to be reloaded. Loading a spellgun is a full round action that provokes attacks of opportunity.

Wood Sorcerers is a two handed, one crystal ranged weapon and fires many darts at once. A wooden sorceror holds 10 shots before needing to be reloaded. Loading a wooden sorceror gun is a full round action that provokes attacks of opportunity.

Steady Shot [General]
    Prerequisite: Base attack bonus +1.

Benefit
    With a wood socrerer or spellgun for a creature of your size category, you may use your Strength modifier instead of your Dexterity modifier on attack rolls. If you carry a shield, its armor check penalty applies to your attack rolls.

Special
    A fighter may select Steady Shot as one of his fighter bonus feats.

What do ya think? Comments.
    Before you ask. They're supercharged repeating crossbows that cost 1GP, not guns.
    Gitp's No. 1 Cake hater
    On Vacation until Aug 7th.
    Spell currently researching: Explosive Pie.
    Weapon currently crafting: +1 cakebane kris

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Mageguns 3.5

I hope these are exotic. I also hope your campaign takes place at high levels, for fear of all of the characters dying instantly...or nearly enough.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

I'm confused. Some of the guns fire several shots at once, but still only count as taking one shot per shot? That just makes no sense.

Also, steadyshot is an incredibly dumb name for that feat. How does holding the gun steady let you use your strength instead of your dexterity to use the weapon? Hell, why would you ever want strength anyway, considering these ranged weapons deal absurd amounts of damage. Unless you were an ubercharger, you wouldn't ever go into melee, and if you were, you wouldn't waste feats on guns.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Originally posted by Milskidasith:
    Also, steadyshot is an incredibly dumb name for that feat. How does holding the gun steady let you use your strength instead of your dexterity to use the weapon? Hell, why would you ever want strength anyway, considering these ranged weapons deal absurd amounts of damage. Unless you were an ubercharger, you wouldn't ever go into melee, and if you were, you wouldn't waste feats on guns.
    Agreed. Also, with this system, blasters would be considerably weaker, since every character can do comparable damage. As well, illusions would have a much greater effect now, as would controlling spells...also, spells like Protection From Arrows and Entropic Shield would have much better effects in this campaign. If you plan on using this as is, raise the spell levels, or lessen their effects.

The weapon descriptions should be slightly better. Just saying "they have crystals that fire darts" doesn't help anyone very much, other than thinking of how weird the "guns" will be.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2009-10-24 at 03:11 PM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).