New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Parson Gotti: Eldritch abomination

Hi. After the last updates, an idea has been growing on my mind. How utter alien is Parson to the beings of Erfworld. This is just an alternate character interpretation, ok?

Lets begin from his summoning. If this was an standard fantasy setting, and the dark overlord resolved to sumon something, what do you think would apear? A Demon. But instead they got Parson. Of course, he even had unspeakable words. And in his world, that situation was just like a game, and expectedly he would take part in the battle just for pleasure.

A favorite quote of mine is this one:

"It was maddening, really. Until recently, Ansom had been regarded as one of the finest strategic planners in the world. And while he was still in charge of planning his side's conquests, and they were proceeding gloriously, his Mistress saw fit to vet his plans through...whatever Hamster was. Not Royal nor common, nor holy. Fish nor fowl. A deceiver in the service of the Titans, who might perhaps disbelieve in the Titans' existence. Maddening."

An Erfworlder apears as a adult, with all the knowledge in his mind. How long do they live? Transylvito capital was fabled because it had no been attacked in thousand turns... and it sounded ancient. Well, for Parson one turn is like one day, and one thousand is around 3 years? So Parson could conceivably say : i've got OVER NINE THOUSAND turns .

He is a power gamer, and what would a Demon give to its master, if not power? 23 turns of Stanley getting Dragons, and it started at 2-3, when Parson didn´t knew he could use his mathamancy to make predictions about the future, that he could use to guess where the dragons are. And more dragons = even more Dragons, with Stanley getting groups of dragons to relay.

And now there is even a legion of Doom, and he is their true planner. And his awareness of the world is increasing, he is even starting to manipulate Stanley and Charlie. And there is a Holy war to boot.

Comments?

Oh, yes, and about today update, well, i got another source of horror. I thought for a moment that Margie was interested in Parson, But now he got those sexy Undead girls... still thinking about it.

Edit: ah, yes, figured out. Parson's nightly routine was chatting with Sizemore... i can see Maggie's angle now.
    Last edited by Slayn82; 2009-10-16 at 03:24 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Parson Gotti: Eldritch abomination

Oh wow, yeah. Never thought about Stanley using dwagon relays to increase his hunting range. That could easily have a potentially exponential effect, and in, say, 50 turns he could be pulling in several dozen new dwagons per turn.

As for Parson...I follow your logic and tend to agree. From our perspective it might appear to be an inversion of the "Summon Uber Demon" trope, but on Erfworld, Jetstonian theology is "Good". A super-powerful, game-breaking Outsider like Parson would indeed be analogous to an Evil Outsider in D&D. But that's starting to drift into moral relativism, so I'll stop there.
    Last edited by The DM; 2009-10-16 at 01:14 PM.
    The DM has spoken.

You failed your Will save to resist.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Slayn82 View Post
    Oh, yes, and about today update, well, i got another source of horror. I thought for a moment that Margie was interested in Parson, But now he got those sexy Undead girls... still thinking about it.
    I still wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility that Maggie is interested. She has a gamut of emotional responses (read via her eyes and tone) to the questions she asks about Parson's hang-ups.

She seems to admire him well enough (although all the casters do).

Quote Originally Posted by Erfworld
    "Okay well it's like...what I was saying before. I've never had that power before, and I don't know how I feel about it. If I understand things right, I could just like, order an Archon to take off her clothes and drop to her knees. And she'd do it, right?"

Maggie's eyes did something entirely different this time, they sort of flashed. "An Archon, or any unit, Lord."

"Okay well...it doesn't work like that where I'm from," said Parson uncomfortably. "We actually have laws against that...against people in power taking advantage of their underlings or whatever. For that. I mean I seriously would not have expected to react this way to this situation, but it feels wrong to me."

Maggie smiled at him, her eyes crinkling. "What an utterly alien thing to think. But also, utterly charming."

"Graah. C'mon," Parson said, and continued up the avenue. They turned the corner at Maggie Street (the name had led to an interesting discussion on an earlier outing), and he saw the street was clear of Decrypted. "Y'know maybe if one of them was actually interested in me... But even then, I've got another problem. One that probably trumps the other two."

Maggie's tone darkened. "I see, Lord. Are you unable?"
    Seems kind of suggestive if you ask me.
    Last edited by LurkerInPlayground; 2009-10-16 at 06:29 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

The image, it burnssss.......

Thanks for scaring my mind for life. Can you at least chip in some brain bleach?
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Seems kind of suggestive if you ask me.
    I am now a ParsonxMaggie shipper.

Thanks.

6. - Top - End - #6

Eh. Horror is something a person ought to develop a keen taste for. It makes a man of irony.

Of course, there are other, much less perverted interpretations. Namely, Parson bringing up his ability to command sex is actually a touchy subject for Maggie. That is to say, there is a moral sensibility there that is offended at the idea of exploitation, but it isn't largely understood in Erfworld culture.

Nobody really questions the notion of loyalty magic and even fewer question the divine mandate of royalty. It's just the way the system is in the eyes of most Erfworlders.

But Parson doesn't think like an Erfworlder, so he questions everything.
    Last edited by LurkerInPlayground; 2009-10-17 at 12:31 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LurkerInPlayground View Post
    Of course, there are other, much less perverted interpretations. Namely, Parson bringing up his ability to command sex is actually a touchy subject for Maggie
    Nope, that's actually a more perverted interpretation.

Why do you think anyone studies Thinkamancy?

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
    Nope, that's actually a more perverted interpretation.

Why do you think anyone studies Thinkamancy?
    It's not their fault, they were just popped that way! And thinkagrams are very useful.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

-snip- (although all the casters do). -snip-
    Huh... that's true, casters seem to implicitly trust Parson most of the time. Even when they have many reasons not to (Sizemore for example)... I wonder...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertier View Post
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by FistsFullofDice View Post
    Derailed in the best way, thank you good sir.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Links
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Errr... Magic Kingdom incident? Whole society of casters ready to disband him?
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

That seems like it's a special rule regarding the Kingdom:"Trespassers Non-casters shall be croaked, no exceptions".
    Last edited by Teln; 2009-10-18 at 04:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Book of Erotic Fantasy
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    If you use a blood-based McGuffin in a campaign with a vampire PC, plan for what will happen when said PC sticks it in his mouth.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Also, considering that he was a warlord representing a side and had been fleeing a battle, it could be violating their neutrality, which could be very dangerous.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Jallorn View Post
    Huh... that's true, casters seem to implicitly trust Parson most of the time. Even when they have many reasons not to (Sizemore for example)... I wonder...
    Because Parson values their input?

Because he doesn't treat them like chattle?

Because he's an intellectual who cares about the pursuit of truth?
    Last edited by LurkerInPlayground; 2009-10-19 at 04:03 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14

RedWizardGuy

biggrin Re: Parson Gotti: Eldritch abomination

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    The image, it burnssss.......

Thanks for scaring my mind for life. Can you at least chip in some brain bleach?
    What were you expecting from an essay dealing with the wereabouts of a possible Eldritch Abomination? A Carebear stare?

Anyway, about those new twists, well, let's remember, as it was said by the man himself:

Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by Slayn82; 2009-10-19 at 10:36 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Is it just me or have the text summer updates really added to the depth of the ErfWorld characters? I mean, I really enjoyed the comic before them but now I think it's my favorite. Maybe we've got to get Rob to write a book...

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

I am LOVING the summer updates. I didn't get into ErfWorld for the first go-around in comic form... you needed a bit of an archive binge in order to appreciate the scope of the series. But then I went through the whole thing in a go, and it was brilliant start to finish. And these summer update snapshots are really fantastic.

I can't get enough of the Charlie/Parson EyeMs.
    Quote Originally Posted by zyphyr View Post
    They don't actually love Gold, they only say that to get it into bed.
    John Dies At The End
    Sauron vs. Voldemort

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by PumpkinJack View Post
    Is it just me or have the text summer updates really added to the depth of the ErfWorld characters? I mean, I really enjoyed the comic before them but now I think it's my favorite. Maybe we've got to get Rob to write a book...
    Because Rob doesn't like thought bubbles. I can't remember where he said it, but if you look closely, you will notice that nowhere in Book 1 is there any hints as to any of the characters' inner monologues or personal thoughts. Meanwhile we actually do get to see what the characters are thinking in the summer updates.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
    I am LOVING the summer updates. I didn't get into ErfWorld for the first go-around in comic form... you needed a bit of an archive binge in order to appreciate the scope of the series. But then I went through the whole thing in a go, and it was brilliant start to finish. And these summer update snapshots are really fantastic.

If you haven't checked out Partially Clips yet, Rob's clip-art comic, do it. You'll see a lot of the same intellectual wit that shines in Erfworld. I've rarely laughed as hard with another webcomic.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Justyn View Post
    Because Rob doesn't like thought bubbles. I can't remember where he said it, but if you look closely, you will notice that nowhere in Book 1 is there any hints as to any of the characters' inner monologues or personal thoughts. Meanwhile we actually do get to see what the characters are thinking in the summer updates.
    That makes a lot of sense but there's still a descriptive quality to Rob's prose that it's hard for me to imagine coming across in a comic.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Slayn82 View Post

Not just Undead girls... Undead Angels.
    Last edited by Ashwood; 2009-10-24 at 04:11 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Ashwood View Post
    Technicaly speaking, flying knights with random special abilities.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post
    Technicaly speaking, flying knights with random special abilities.
    So it's settled that Wanda's Archons are Ninja Pirate Zombie Robots?

and that's an interesting analogy with parson.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Herman View Post
    I just found a dead cat in my quern. I guess someone was trying to make cat bread.
    Props go out to kwarkpudding for the awesome avatar!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ditto View Post

I really have enjoyed the text updates as well.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Ashwood View Post
    I actually view the Decryption process as a kind of resurrection, owing to Wanda's new mastery over the forces of life and death.

25. - Top - End - #25

Of course, there are other, much less perverted interpretations. Namely, Parson bringing up his ability to command sex is actually a touchy subject for Maggie. That is to say, there is a moral sensibility there that is offended at the idea of exploitation, but it isn't largely understood in Erfworld culture.
    Well if you remember, back in book one, Parson at one point, out of ignorance, basically commanded Maggie to kill herself, and she nearly did. Sounds like a touchy subject to me.

I actually view the Decryption process as a kind of resurrection, owing to Wanda's new mastery over the forces of life and death.
    Well, in it's literal sense, it is un-killing something, so it is a resurrection as opposed to a raise-dead sort of thing.
    Last edited by Arcanoi; 2009-11-02 at 07:33 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by DCGFTW View Post
    Well, in it's literal sense, it is un-killing something, so it is a resurrection as opposed to a raise-dead sort of thing.
    Oh good. Semantics.

The point is, Parson wouldn't be banging a cold and rotting thing if he decided to shack up with an Archon.

If it quacks like a hot nubile woman and walks like a not nubile woman and has all the past memories of a nubile woman. . .
    Well, the body is intact, warm and doesn't stink.

Good enough.

Likewise, Prince Ansom is virtually as he was before. Minus the fact that his personality has changed and his flesh is fed by the unholy energies of Croakamancy.
    Last edited by LurkerInPlayground; 2009-11-03 at 01:48 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

RedWizardGuy

Well, i kinda agree with you, Lurker... and its better than Margie, no doubt about it.

Also, now we have Superman on Jetstone side. Will Parson also become Lex Luthor?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

All of you shut up. You're being so loud it's hard to concentrate on shipping ParsonxMaggie.

Now excuse me while I add this to my sig.
    Last edited by Matar; 2009-11-05 at 03:40 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Matar View Post
    All of you shut up. You're being so loud it's hard to concentrate on shipping ParsonxMaggie.

Now excuse me while I add this to my sig.
    I'm not really convinced of the idea myself.

There's also a shared look between Maggie and Sizemore and the intimation of a "rapport" in caster link.

A lot of Maggie's hang-ups with Parson can be seen as a product of curiosity. She's the Erfworld equivalent of a psychologist after all.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Man. There are people out there who ship Leia with Wookies.

Shipping Parson with the Erfworld equivalent of a gmilf isn't THAT much of a stretch.

...Although yeah, it's still a stretch >_>.
    ParsonxMaggie Shipper in the Playground