New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Birthright: Lords of Anuire IC

Year 551 MR. The Day of Rebirth.

The frosts have faded, the days are longer, and everywhere, new life is in the air. Yet death is never far from Anuire, and every lord knows that Spring is marching season for armies. As the groundhog pokes his head out and ventures back into the world, so do the troublemakers awaken from their hibernation. It will be a long year.

((Some posts from me will contain a public and private component. The public part is considered public knowledge (to a reasonably well-informed regent), while the private part (in spoilers) is for the realm's regent only. Please respect this and don't open other people's spoilers. If you want, you can use one of your domain actions for espionage, in which case you let me know what you'd like to look into, and I tell you what you learn - so you still don't open other people's spoilers.))

The Sielwode

As always, the Sielwode is a realm largely apart from the human realms of Anuire. Very little information penetrates its thick forests, and rumors of its goings-on seldom reach human ears - not credible rumors, anyway.
    Spoiler
    Show
    A group of 15 Sidhelein appears in the province of Annydwr. Although your sentries report them appearing clean and dignified (perhaps arrogant), the stench of goblin blood remains on their bodies. It seems hard to believe, but your sentries swear they came in through the Shattered Hills. They are asking for an audience with the Queen. Adara Cuamhyrcha, Rhuobhe's resident envoy to the Crystal Palace, recommends that they be granted the audience, but volunteers no further information.

To make matters more interesting, there are rumors of increased Goblin activity in Brushfire, Shattered Hills, and Dwarf's Hold. ((I'm blanking on your unit distribution ... do you have scout units in any provinces bordering these places? If so, I'll give you more details than "increased activity."))

Medoere

Guilder Kalien's control of the law holdings in the province of Caerwil has long been an obstacle to High Priestess Suris Enlien's attempts to rule her realm. Now rumors abound that Kalien has raised a unit of infantry in the province. Ostensibly, he is acting in his role as Law Regent of Caerwil to protect the province from Spiderfell raids, but anyone who knows Endieran politics has to take this claim with a few grains of salt.

Roesone

Rumor has it that the longstanding guild war between Orthien Tane and El-Hadid, Roesone's most powerful guilders (with far-flung connections across the Southern Coast) is heating up. Baron Daenal can only be thankful that unlike Guilder Kalien, neither of these men have the power to raise military units, although the fear of them recruiting mercenaries is ever-present.

Furthermore, there is considerable talk in many courts (and likewise many taverns) about the future of the Roesone line. Ambitious ladies speak of courting the eligible bachelor, and brave (and often foolish) men wonder openly if the Baron is even interested in a bride!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Suris Enlien has asked you for help in dealing with Guilder Kalien. She admits that she has had trouble defending Caerwil against the Spider's increased raids lately, and appreciates that at least her people are safe. But now that Guilder Kalien has an army in Caerwil - an army of her own people, no less - she fears she may never be rid of his presence.
    While out hunting one day with Michael Agnelie, he seems quiet and reserved. Eventually, he suggests to you that you really should start looking for a bride. "You know we cannot go on like this forever, Daenal."
    Both Orthien Tane and El-Hadid have sent envoys to Proudglaive, seeking the Baron's sanction for their guild, and formal support against the other.

EDIT: Alamie, as well as some scattered rumors from other NPC realms, to be added after dinner.

Alamie

Talk all over Alamie centers around revenge, justice. Common folk clamor loudly for it in the taverns, and the great nobles of the land demand it in soft but forceful whispers. Their duke has been murdered, almost certainly by Tuornen agents, and the people are demanding satisfaction.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Many of the influential nobles in your realm are clamoring for justice. They demand that Tuornen pay for its insult. While few particularly cared for Carilon Alam, the Lords of Alamie care very much for their honor, and feel as though the assassination of their Duke must be answered for. Moerlan Alam is one of the more outspoken proponents of this position.

Ghorien Hiriele has sent word to the Duchess that he would like to solve Alamie's annoying problem in the South - Guilder Kalien. He requests official sanction from the Duchy in doing this, and the support of the law. Your economic advisors point out that Hiriele isn't used to taking no for an answer, and that he has the ear of Baron Gavin Tael of Ghoere. At the same time, they note the risks of allowing such a dangerous businessman to expand his already formidable guild, even at the expense of another unsavory Guilder.
    Last edited by Moody the Wise; 2009-10-21 at 12:44 AM.
    Ramm in Lords of the Elements
    Russia in The World is Dark

"I do not know what weapons we will use in World War Three, but in World War Four we will use sticks and stones."
    -Albert Einstein

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Birthright: Lords of Anuire IC

High above, a thrush sang and a squirrel added counterpoint with a rattling leap from an overhanging branch. Daenal gazed off into the greenery of the western Elvenmeres, appearing not to notice either Michael’s dour mood or his weighty pronouncement. “D’you think Gwyngalyth’s tower really is around here somewhere?” he asked, his wide blue eyes shining. “They say no one’s ever really found the ruins, except I also heard that…” Pausing, the Baron appeared to notice the serious set of his companion’s bearded jaw. Daenal urged Balestra, his chestnut gelding, over toward Agnelie’s barrel-chested bay. “I’m sorry, Agnie, what were you saying?”

“Don’t call me that,” the muscular mayor of Proudglaive replied, an uncharacteristic touch of irritation in his deep voice. “We cannot keep going on like this. You need to take a bride. It’s best for the Barony, best for your position…” He did not say, Best for me, but the unspoken words hung in the air between them.

For a breath the only sound was the singing of the thrush above. “What are you talking about?” Daenal said at last, displaying some irritation of his own. “We can’t go on like what? Practicing Black Strike? Who else is going to teach me? Maus?” The Baron’s snort broadcasted his disdain for the aging Constable of Proudglaive. “No, you’re my tutor and my right hand man. That’s that.” Wheeling his horse, Daenal trotted off into the underbrush, beginning the long loop back toward Blacktower Castle. “We should come back sometime and look for Gwyngalyth’s tower, Agnie. You know I heard that they caught a criminal who’d tried to escape through the swamp, and he…”

The young Baron’s voice faded off into the underbrush. He never looked back to see Michael Agnelie’s grip, white-knuckled on his reins.

~***~

The counsel chamber of Blacktower Castle was a circular room high in the western tower. The castle had been built with defensibility in mind, and so the only natural light was filtered through narrow windows that could double as arrow slits if the need arose. Now, with the sun setting beyond the Spider River, a dim bar of copper brilliance fell across the great counsel table, casting the lines of Seneschal Gaered Biersen’s face into sharp relief.

“Medoere expects a response promptly regarding the situation in Caerwil, my liege,” the aging courtier intoned. Biersen’s voice, designed for weighty pronouncements before a full court, seemed confined in the rounded room.

Daenal stared down at the litter of papers on the table in front of him. He had little training in administration. The ruling of a realm, which at first had seemed a grand adventure capable of distracting him from the reality of his sister’s death, had become an exercise in tedium and frustration. “What does she expect me to do?” he asked, trying to keep his voice from sounding petulant. He thought that he mostly succeeded. “Endier is rich, right? And connected. And they already have an army in Caerwil. I can’t beat him there…I probably couldn’t even beat him if he marched right over into Ghoried.”

Biersen exchanged a long look with the other men in the room. Michael Agnelie shrugged one powerful shoulder. Vaesin Isilviere, retired captain of the armies, cleared his throat and leaned forward. “My liege, in situations like this, often military strategies are not the preferred approach. You might try…diplomacy.

As Daenal continued to shuffle papers, Isilviere looked to Biersen for support. The seneschal continued, “Yes, my lord, meet with High Priestess Enlien. Formalize your alliance with her. Then you can better ascertain what the price…and the payoff…for your involvement in Caerwil will be.”

“Very well,” Daenal replied, pushing the paper into a slightly tilted stack. “I will meet with Enlien. I will have Noelon make the arrangements.” That sounded sufficiently decisive, he though. Looking down at the papers before him, he made the further decision, “Agnie…lie, see to the guilders. Meet with them and ask what their conditions are and what they have to offer to the Barony of Roesone. Also, if you learn anything about el-Hadid’s dealings in Ilien…we know what Tane is capable of…” He looked over at Michael Agnelie, who, as always, appeared to understand his intent. “Very good, uh…gentlemen. Thank you…for your counsel.”

~***~

(Domain action: Diplomacy with Medoere. Character action: Directly attending diplomatic meeting. Court action: Talk to Guilder Orthien Tane and Guilder el-Hadid.)
    Last edited by caelist; 2009-10-20 at 08:58 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    To make matters more interesting, there are rumors of increased Goblin activity in Brushfire, Shattered Hills, and Dwarf's Hold. ((I'm blanking on your unit distribution ... do you have scout units in any provinces bordering these places? If so, I'll give you more details than "increased activity."))
    Luck have it, all Elven units are scouts.
    Unit Dispositions:
    1 Elven Archer: Tuar Llyrien
    1 Elven Archer: Ghyllwn
    1 Elven Archer: Annycwr
    1 Elven Archer: Llewhoellen
    1 Elven Archer: Hochnaen
    1 Elven Archer: Iseare
    2 Elven Cavalry: Fhylallien

The Queen shall hold off on speaking with the party, and declairing actions, untill she hears the reports from her scouts.
    Thanks to Kpenguin for the Superb Avatar.

Deathwatch Characters
    Sven Carlson, Alistayr
    Tristan Weylin, Mikael
    Master of the Forge, Hephaestus Faust, Gwain

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Alamie
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard of the Coat View Post
    The Realm of Alamie
    (Combination of Wiki and some mild customisation. Basically explaning the change in rulership to the next generation. The realms holdings are identical.)

Recent History
    Soraene Alam (Female Anuirean; Nbl2/Sor4; Scion of Basaia; major, 46; N) had been positioning herself well in court. Her brother, Taelan Alam, was easily removed from the line of succession. His mad ravings eventually led him to try an expedition into the five peaks, an expedition from which he would not return. The nobles of the realm, not wanting a lunatic in power, had made sure of that. At the loss of his only son Carilon Alam, the current duke, saw no other way then to invest his daughter with the right of succession.

The duke fell ill at the hands of an agent of Tuornen mere months later, a disease from which he would not recover, leaving the realm to his daughter. Already being favored in court, her ascension was an easy one. Keeping most of her father’s advisors would ensure little trouble, especially considering her excellent social skills in determining loyalties. Unlike her predecessors, who cared little for the land Soraene quickly proved a caring ruler. Though equally heavy handed in dealing with dissidents, she has a motherly devotion to the land it’s people, seeking to restore greatness not for personal glory, but for the good of here people.

Ruler and Court
    Soraene Alam (Female Anuirean; Nbl2/Sor4; Scion of Basaia; major, 46; N) A beautiful woman in her early thirties, Soraene is the only daughter of Carilon Alam and his youngest child. She is renowned as a great beauty by the people of Alamie, but her manipulative nature has chased off any would-be-suitors.

Moerlan Alam (MA; Ftr3/Nbl2; Scion of Basaia; major, 46; NE): Moerlan Alam is Carilon’s younger brother and the Baron of Sorelies, Nortmoor, and Soutmoor. Although his military skill is questionable, he is advised by Alamie’s most skilled generals and has been given the task of preparing the duchy’s shock troops for the day when they will be called upon to attack Tuornen.

Lord Moergan Deseirain (MA; Rog 4; Scion of Anduiras, minor, 10; TN): The loyal lieutenant of the Duke of Alamie, Lord Moergan controls the secret police that his master often finds so critical to maintaining peace and "harmony" in his realm. He is also a capable administrator and one of the few voices of reason close to the Duke.

Lord Gregorious Adiuviat (MA; Rrg4/ Sor2; Scion of Reynir, mayor, 38; NG) A nobleman rising to power alongside Soraene. Loyal to the new Dutchess he has been appointed as Sheriff of the North, to raise a defence force against incursions by the five peaks.

Realm
    {table]Province|(Culture/Magic)|Law|Temple|Guild|Source
    Alaroine |(5/0)|SA (4)|CJS (3)|MB (3)|-----
    Deseirain | (3/2) |SA (2) |WIT (3) |MB (3) |Ca (2)
    Hildon | (2/3) |SA (1) |CJS (2) |MB (2) |-----
    Laraeth | (3/2) |SA (2) |CJS (3) |GH (3) |Ca (2) | GK (0)
    Maesfordi | (2/3) |SA (1) |WIT (2) |GK (2) |Ca (3) | GK (0)
    Nortmoor | (1/4) |-----|CJS (1) |MB (1) | -----
    Sorelies | (1/4) |-----|WIT (1) |MB (1) |-----
    Soutmoor | (2/3) |-----|CJS (1) |GH (2) |-----
    Traiward | (3/2) |SA (2) |WIT (3) |GK (3) |Ca (2)[/table]
    Abbreviations:
    Spoiler
    Show
    SA=Soraene Alam (Alamie); Ca=Caine; CJS=Celestial Jewel of Sarimie (Temias Coumain); GH=Ghorien Hiriele (Highland/Overland Traders); GK=Guilder Kalien (Endier); MB=Mheallie Bireon (Source of the Maesil); WIT=Western Imperial Temple of Haelyn (Rhobher Nichaleir).

Military

Unknown, but could look it up in the 1996 game by Sierra.

Treasury

Will calculate upkeep and income and such based on forces later.

Political

Despite the change in rulership the political situation of Alamie is much the same as before and based upon her fathers actions. It is likely the new Dutchess wil move to her own policies in the future

Alamie finds itself in a complicated and difficult political situation. Completely surrounded by enemies or potential enemies, the Dukes of Alamie must play a careful balancing act in order to survive.

Alamie’s main nemesis remains Tuornen, or as the Alamiens call it, ‘the rebellious west.’ The two realms have fought three major wars and countless skirmishes in the last 120 years, leading to bitterness and hatred on both sides of the Tuor River. The people of Alamie, both commoner and noble, would like nothing better than to see their cousins across the river crushed.

Many Alamiens are simply unable to come to grips with their repeated defeats at the hands of the Tuors and spin wild tales to explain them. Tales of fell Tuor sorcery and vile pacts with awnsheghlien are common in alehouses throughout Alamie. The government does nothing to dispute these stories and indeed encourages them.

To Alamie’s east lies Mhoried, one of Anuire’s great powers. Alamie’s regents have always kept a cautious eye on Mhoried, concerned that the Mhor might take action against them should they stretch their forces too far. During the best of times, Alamien-Mhorien relations are characterized by cautious neutrality.

In the southeast lies the dangerous Barony of Ghoere. Again, Duke Alam is cautious dealing with this realm, as the Baron, Gavin Tael, has proven to be perhaps the only man Alam has met that is more cunning and dangerous than him. However, Duke Alam has quietly opened a dialogue with the Baron of Ghoere in hopes of negotiating a non-aggression treaty so that both nations can focus their efforts elsewhere. Rumours in the ducal court say that these negotiations are nearly complete.

In the south is the merchant realm of Endier, a constant thorn in Duke Alam’s side. The lord of that realm, Guilder Kalien, buys off the civil authorities in southern Alamie in order to protect his businesses from the duke. The duke is constantly trying to undercut Kalien’s influence in Alamie, resulting in something of an underground war between the two.

Further to the south lies Diemed. Though Alamie and Diemed rarely have any contact, the ancient ruling houses of both realms sympathize with the other’s plight.

As previously noted, Carilon Alam would like to see Alamie raised up to its proper place in history and himself remembered as a great statesman, or perhaps even a claimant for the Iron Throne, powerful enough to rival Avanil and Boeruine. To this end, he has sought to convince Darien Avan, the Prince of Avanil, that it would be in both their interests to see Tuornen once again under Alamien rule. He’s promised the Prince that the new Alamie’s borders would be a perfect launching place for his armies.

The Prince of Avanil isn’t convinced. He doesn’t want to see Alamie grow, especially not at the expense of losing Tuornen as a possible ally. Also, he doesn’t trust Carilon Alam – he knows well that the duke’s plans seldom bode well for anyone but the duke.

It is also commonly known that Aeric Boeruine, Archduke of Boeruine, has regularly dispatched representatives to the duke and maintains an active interest in his affairs. Should Avanil refuse Alamie’s advances, Carilon Alam could soon turn to Boeruine for aid, and the threat of a wider war drawing in both Avanil and Boeruine could arise.

The High Council

In the palace of Alamie the new Dutchess had called upon a meeting of the high council to discuss the Strategy during her reign. Allowing all to speak freely at first she quickly gathered the country was ripe for war, she however was not.

"Neither me, nor the forces of Alamie are ready for any rash acts of violence, they are too thinly spread on too long a border. If anything isto happen the province of Sufhanie will first need to be reclaimed for the realm and the law in the all provinces restored to allow a mustering of troops in those provinces to take place more effectively. This should be our first priority. We have seen what happened when my father took actions to restore the realms rightfull lands in Tuornen and spend the rest of his reign paying the price, incapacitating the realm by what he did in his younger years."

There was a muttering in the room, how could she noit use this opportunity. The dutchess had carefully planned this pause in her speach.

"Would we let Tuornen goad us into a war we cannot win? would we allow them to draw other enemies into a fight that we are not ready for? Would we risk all that my father has rebuild on vengeance?"

The general mood was still an uncertain 'no'. The dutchess divine aura and her words slowly reducing their resistance as she stepped in for her finaly, her low trustworthy voice softening their hearts.

"Yes, we must consider honour, and honour we shall have. But Only when honour can be combined with glory, Only when we can mars victoriously and Only when we can bring justice those who have wronged us. And not before!"

Several heads were now openly nodding at her speech, maybe enough to change the sentiment...

"Glory, Victory and Justice. Only by these words shall we succeed!"

The Dutchess went on to present her strategy to the high council.

Spoiler
    Show
    The troops on the Tuorner border would be strengthened, to make it seem an invasion was to be prepared, but they would wait for Tuornen to make a move. If they did, Alamie would hit them hard, as Tuornen would be seen as the definate agressor. Sorentier would see the bulk of this troop buildup. She indicates that under her strategy of a delayed strike, Tuornen would be on their knees by the time the year was over.

((OOC: I'll work out what level of troops Alamie would have and then distribute them a bit later))

A matter of trade

It was clear the Dutchess had a distinct interest in the request by Ghorien Hiriele and had received his delegates with all manner of pleasantries. A defacto pact of friendship with Ghoere, even if build on the back of a guilder, would be a blessing if any action is to be taken against Tuornen.

@Ghorien Hiriele
    Spoiler
    Show
    In our time of need we are glad to have friends like you and we welcome your aid in the south. However recent events are drawing our attentions westwards. If you can arrange for us to have safe borders in the south and east, by means of a pact of security with Ghoere, we shall give you all the support you could desire. As a gesture of goodwill we shall expand our lawfull administration in these provinces in the comming month to ensure we are properly situated to expel that half-elf.

(OOC: he has to take a diplomacy action to arrange a treaty between us and Ghoere that specifies Ghoere will be on our side in the war with Tuornen and will intervene should either Mhoried or Endier take actions against us, for Ghoere this means a potential of legitmate expantion against Endier either indirectly with guilds or more directly if this go hot)

The Nation

The Dutchess is actively recruiting partriotic aristocrats, skilled laymen and others into the service of 'A realm in Need!". Her tour of the southern provinces in particular is an important means of channeling the populace's cry for action into some real action to bolster the realm in preparation for Glory, Victory and Justice that will soon come!

Actions
    Spoiler
    Show
    Domain (Realm, + 2 court): Rule Holding, Law in Traiward, Laraeth and Maisford

Character Action:Clattering the Sables by supporting the increase in law holdings. The regentes is actively using this action as a recruitment drive for brave young men and women seeking to serve their country in their hour of need.

I still need to think of the income statement, troops, buildings and such of the country, as well as finalise the charactersheet for the Dutchess. I hope to complete that tomorrow so the end of turn can take place