New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Elderly Hamster

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Elderly Hamster

I think Saffron, my Russian dwarf hamster, may be in the declining stage of life. I got her about 7 months ago, on March 15 (yes, I remember the day, for some reason), and the pet store estimated she was about a year old then.

You see, she's a second-hand pet. Her previous owner had dropped her off at the pet store which I then adopted her from. This puts her age at approximately 19 months old, maybe a bit more.

Dwarfs are notorious for only living about 2 years. The last, maybe month or so my mom and I have been noticing changes. The fur in her ears are going white (no kidding), she doesn't climb as high on the bars anymore, and she doesn't respond as quickly when we come by. It used to be, if we came in a room, she was at the side of the cage gnawing it to death! Now, it only happens usually if we make a noise. Even then, it's a slow response.

I know it's silly since she's a little hamster I haven't even had that long, but I'm going to miss the sadistic little thing. We had some amusing times. As I always tell people, we have a mutually satisfying relationship. I provide her food and shelter, and she gives me amusement in the form of attempting to kill all humans.

*sigh* I guess I just need to be all emo to someone.
    Show me how pretty the world is
    'Cause I envy the way that you move
    'Cause I want something a little bit louder
    'Cause you're brilliant when you try
    Show me how pretty the whole world is tonight
    -Matt Nathanson "Pretty the World"

Various Syka-Foxes done by the wonderful Ceika

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Elderly Hamster

Even when they're little it's hard when things we care about, or at least are used to and don't hate and plan to kill ourselves, die.

After all, size matters not, only connection.

I remember when my ex's hamster passed away, we did both cry at that.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2009-10-21 at 07:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

*Hugs* I know how you feel. I've had 12 gerbils and 2 hamsters. You've given her a really good life. I wish I could say something more...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

S'ok, I knew when I got her time would be less than if I got a baby, but what can I say. I'm a sucker for hard luck cases (both the gerbils I had had lost half their tail through two different accidents; one to a former owners cat, the other to a litter mate; both are now at good, gerbil-experienced home since I couldn't give them the necessary attention).

I was talking with my mom about when she passes. I may get a new hamster but there is no way I could get another gray one. I'm not even sure I want another one, 'cause she was just so damn unique. Everyone tells me how loving most hamster are, and Saffron's a little...*ahem* witch. She's mean and ornery and, I swear, there used to be a gleam to her eye that said "Watch out, I'm taking over the effing world, starting with you. MWHAHAHA"

That gleam is gone.
    'Cause I envy the way that you move
    'Cause I want something a little bit louder
    'Cause you're brilliant when you try
    Show me how pretty the whole world is tonight
    -Matt Nathanson "Pretty the World"

Various Syka-Foxes done by the wonderful Ceika

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

*hugs*
    Its always hard for me. I always get very attached to any of my family's pets.

When my sister's Teddybear Hamster passed, it took weeks for us to get over it. Its going to be pretty harsh when Elwood(A Staffordshire terrier/pit mix) leaves us. He's a funny one. Big head, tough, loves to raise kittens and like little children...

*sigh*

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Similar case with our 2nd dog, we adopted her through Ridgeback Rescue, she was a 12-year-old ex-brood bitch from a puppy farm. She got a horrible esophageal disease and had to be put down within a year of us owning her. Best year of her life, I expect, the poor thing. I cried for her. Not as much as for my first dog, but it was still very sad.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

*picks up Sykafox*

*puts in lap*

*petpetpetcuddlecuddle*

=\

I'm sorry, hun.
    Cobra Avatar by the lovely Miss Nobody.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I had a hamster once that eventually died. Made me very sad cause the little fella was so cute. *hugs*

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

I feel your pain. We just had to put down our Lab last week.
    My latest homebrew: Majokko base class and Spellcaster Dilettante feats for D&D 3.5 and Races as Classes for PTU.

Currently Playing
    Raiatari Eikibe - Ghostfoot's RHOD Righteous Resistance

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Many generations of hamsters come and go in eighteen years, but it's still a comfort to hear they haven't bred the bone-deep viciousness out of those soft, touchable, daughter-of-a-devil-and-a-staple-remover Siberian dwarf hammies. Mine passed away curled up in her food bowl, which she was too small to completely plug. I figure that, in hamster terms, that's ascending directly to the higher plane.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

Awww!

At least you know she died after a happy life. Who knows, she may take over hamster heaven.

*hugs* Sympathy offered wholeheartedly.
    Just remember - yelling "Who wrote this ****?!" at the top of your lungs is a normal and accepted part of the editing process.

The wizard who reads a thousand books is powerful. The wizard who memorises a thousand book is insane.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by FF Fanboy
    Undead have quasi-feelings, too!
    Thanks to kpenguin for the excellent avatar.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm... I could yibber on about some philosophical ideas that would probably do little to actually improve the situation...

OR...

*CUDDLES!*

Yeah, I'm going with the latter.

Don't be so condeming, though - the tough ones often stick around. My grandpa managed to keep us guessing for about two years, and survived a lot of "shoulda-killed-him"'s.
    Live, Laugh, Learn, Love,
    and Look both ways
    when you cross the street

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Syka View Post
    I know it's silly since she's a little hamster I haven't even had that long, but I'm going to miss the sadistic little thing. We had some amusing times. As I always tell people, we have a mutually satisfying relationship. I provide her food and shelter, and she gives me amusement in the form of attempting to kill all humans.
    Yon Saffron sounds like a most excellent hamster. Her finger-biting fuzzy rage against those who have caged her is of the finest. They will yet rue the day!

*sigh* I guess I just need to be all emo to someone.
    It's not emo if you do have something to be sad about.

Just remember that in hamster Valhalla there is endless wheat germ (served by buxom lemmings) and that *every* water bottle is filled with cider. Saffron will be welcomed with great rejoicing.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

Syka, it doesn't matter how small or mean she is, or how short a time you've had her. You love her, and that's what matters. That connection will be hard to lose, because it is unique to you. You don't need to explain it to anyone - we all know. And you don't need to justify it. Justifying love, in my opinion, diminishes it. I say enjoy the time you have left, and honor her when the time comes. You'll move on and recover, but as long as our heart has a spot that says "Saffron" on it, she'll always be with you.
    Spoiler
    Show

Dirky by Beans!
    Officially putting in for an extended leave of absence.