The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Need to create a VERY simple character for someone.

To keep things short and simple.

Backstory: We have a friend thats been playing with us for years, not very good, experienced in 2nd edition and 3rd. Has tendency to play Clerics or Wizards, but is terrible at using them. Takes him forever to create a new character, forgets about his feats, items, skills, class abilities.

Now, we don't want to boot him because he's a really good freind, its just he's not grasping Dnd...apperently ever. In 2nd edition this didn't tend to be much of a problem. But with 3rd giving so many more options he's having a harder and harder time keeping up. And with that he's getting more and more fustrated. So after a while of talking we came to an agreement. I'll make him a character, level it up, it'll be simple yet as powerful and survivable as I can make it...Now I've got to figure out how to do it.

Can anyone help me out. The next game will be gestalt since there will only be 2-3 players in any given session. I'm thinking fighter/barbarion, using the rules that you can switch out class abilities for feats so that I can devote things that he'll forget too often for things to pump up his HP/Saves/etc.

Anyone have any better ideas? Remember, it can't be too complicated, and the better it can survive combat the better. There's no restrictions on templates, but like everything else, everything needs to be converted to basic information and numbers on his character sheet.

Any ideas?
    You live in your world and I'll live in mine. Invade my world and I'll go medieval on your subconscious tookus.

Do not mistake my inaction for fear or doubt, if I desire you to hang yourself by your own rope why should I hasten the inevitable?

Do not underestimate me, for I have not underestimated you...

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Need to create a VERY simple character for someone.

How about the Omnicaster?
    Or failing that, a rogue//barbarian. Or something.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

The Colony character: Derek Johnson (retired)
    2e anybody? character: Maksil (retired)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

How about Barbarian/[Scout or Rogue]. Powerful, deals lotta damage, usually pretty straightforward to play.

Fighter/Barbarian is weak because there's so much overlap between the classes. Changing out barbarian class features for feats is even worse because you don't actually get the feats, since you're gestalting with fighter.

Edit: semininja'd
    Last edited by Riffington; 2009-10-25 at 08:43 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

There's a bit of an argument over whether bonus feats stack in gestalt, but yeah. Avoid fighter/barbarian. Due to the high number of feats, it's probably more complicated than rogue/barbarian.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Riffington View Post
    How about Barbarian/[Scout or Rogue]. Powerful, deals lotta damage, usually pretty straightforward to play.

Fighter/Barbarian is weak because there's so much overlap between the classes. Changing out barbarian class features for feats is even worse because you don't actually get the feats, since you're gestalting with fighter.

Edit: semininja'd
    I felt that way too. I'm skeptical about the Rogue...he...doesn't sneak attack well...or ever. He made a gestalt Rogue/Ranger...I've never seen somebody drop into the negatives so many times so quickly.
    You live in your world and I'll live in mine. Invade my world and I'll go medieval on your subconscious tookus.

Do not mistake my inaction for fear or doubt, if I desire you to hang yourself by your own rope why should I hasten the inevitable?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

He doesn't actually need to sneak attack as a rogue. Just use the martial rogue variant so he can get feats in addition to his skillpoints. He won't be like any gestalted fullcaster, but at least he'll have D12 HD, full BAB, two good saves and 8+int skills.
    Last edited by Kylarra; 2009-10-25 at 08:53 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by infinitypanda View Post
    There's a bit of an argument over whether bonus feats stack in gestalt, but yeah. Avoid fighter/barbarian. Due to the high number of feats, it's probably more complicated than rogue/barbarian.
    Not for me, I can replace those feats for feats that simply boost his saves or something. Remember, he isn't going to be leveling the character...though I would like him to provide impute into what he'd like the character to accomplish.

8. - Top - End - #8

Use a rogue, and take feats that boost skills. Rolling skill checks with a static modifier that can be written on your sheet and not have to be modified is simple...

9. - Top - End - #9

Its not gestalt, but this could be one half. I just made it for my wife.

The build I was thinking is this.

1st: (Lion totem barbarian)- Power Attack
    Human Bonus- Cleave
    Flaw- Improved Sunder
    2nd: (Fighter 1)- Weapon Focus Greatclub (Needed for 3 Mountians)
    3rd: (Fighter 2)- Improved Bullrush
    3rd- 3 Mountians style (Yes I know she can't make use of it yet, but I cant really fit it anywhere else)
    4th: (Barbarian)
    5th: (Fighter 3)
    6th: (Barbarian)- Combat Brute (for Sundering Cleave)
    7th: (Fighter 4)- Shock Trooper (I'm sure we all know why so I wont bother)
    8th: (Barbarian)
    9th: (Fighter 5)- Deadly Concussion (Drag 333, See below)

For those of you not famillier with Deadly Concussion here is what it does.

Req: Str 13, Perform Precussion 6 Ranks (why she cant have it till 9th), Imp sunder, PA.

Benefit: If you use a bludgeoning weapon to sunder a opponents armor or shield in a SINGLE hit, the opponent takes damage equal to the damage you delt to the item.

The point: She should be decent from Lvl 1. as she levels up she will get more and more options but they will come slowly so she can learn them all (She is fairly new to D&D but has LARP'd for years)

She will be able to charge, use PA at max lowering her AC not to hit with Shock trooper, sunder someones shield causing the same damage to them, then sundering cleave into them again. with lion totem she gets another attack and can then do the same to their armor. IF for some reason they are not dead they have a save to make vs. nausea thanks to 3 mount.

Really fun, fairly effective and SIMPLE.

10. - Top - End - #10

Easy enough make a gestalt Fighter/whatever and just have all the bonus feats be passive bonuses like... ALL IMPROVED TOUGHNESS! a fighter who just hits things and soaks up damage with his MASSIVE HP, also give him the feat Goad, so he can "taunt" things into hitting him and not the others.

As for the other? hmmm maybe Warrior... and then use THOSE bonus feats for more IMPROVED TOUGHNESS, and like... IRON WILL, and uh, LIGHTENING REFLEXES! and uh.... WHATEVER-IT-IS-THAT-OHYEAHHIREMEMBER NOW, GREAT FORTITUDE! That way all he has to keep up with is core mechanics and he'll be so buffed out with high numbers he is bound to be helpful and have some fun. :3
    Think what you want. I can't stop you.

11. - Top - End - #11

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    He doesn't actually need to sneak attack as a rogue. Just use the martial rogue variant so he can get feats in addition to his skillpoints. He won't be like any gestalted fullcaster, but at least he'll have D12 HD, full BAB, two good saves and 8+int skills.
    It would be nice not to have to have him too much of a skill monkey. It would be if it was going to help teach him, but if he's been playing 3rd for over a year, and hasn't got it down by now, I doubt he ever will. Problem is, he doesn't look at his skills. So there is no chance of him coming up with a brilliant plan using his skills.

12. - Top - End - #12

Griffon

Warlock, maybe? That way he can have a short list of things that he can do in front of him, and not have to worry so much about making decisions except at levelling up.

13. - Top - End - #13

Some might disagree, but a Warblade might be a good choice. Ask him what weapons he wants, optimize his attack and damage, choose his powers, tell him he can use them each once per encounter and you're good to go. Just a thought.
    Thanks to DarkCorax for the "Gnome Wizard", which holds a special place in my heart as it's the first DnD character I'd ever made.

Live everyday like it's your last and one day, you'll be right.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Just for my own amusement.

Barbarian//Soul knife

He'll always have his own weapon, have D12 HD, good saves, and full BAB.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The J Pizzel View Post
    Some might disagree, but a Warblade might be a good choice. Ask him what weapons he wants, optimize his attack and damage, choose his powers, tell him he can use them each once per encounter and you're good to go. Just a thought.
    I disagree. That sounds waaaay too complicated for the player in question. This guy hasn't even gotten the hang of skills after an entire year. And you want him to play a class that specializes in giving melee more options?
    Last edited by infinitypanda; 2009-10-25 at 09:08 PM.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

A lower powered, non-gestalt, campaign would probably help him a lot. With gestalt's power I think anything not heavily optimized is going to stand out even more than usual.

How is his social RPing? There is a player in my current group who is really awful at remembering how to use all his abilities and building characters, but still contributes to the party by putting a lot of points into the social skills and then RPing them very well (to the point that sometimes he doesn't even roll the check because it was done so well.)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Halfling in the Playground

Caster is usually much easier than a melee warrior. It gives them exactly what they can do: their spells. You can do some creative stuff with spells (especially like animate objects, etc...), but if your friend just wants to try the system you can select spells for him that are much more straight forward (magic missile, etc...).

Its much more exciting than a non-caster, sans perhaps tomb of battle which has its own complications.

Cleric is more complicated due to domains, the inifinite spell-list and the fact they are best used buffing themselves and going into battle alongside the fighters. Unless they buff others and heal. Which is lame.

I honestly recommend Evocator (Wizard) or a Sorcerer. Lots of big flashy boom-and-doom spells like Fireball and even Wall of X are pretty appealing to a lot of players. They don't use skills, so your safe there. Throw him an occasional knowledge (arcana) check when the party needs it.

TRY USING FLASHCARDS. Get all of his abilities and seperate them on cards. Each spell, skill with reasonable ranks, etc... Or create a spreadsheet (I prefer the interactivity of cards). But don't isolate him from the group; try doing it yourself and/or get another player to do it too. Its actually quite fun...especially with gear...

http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...lock/DnDcards/

Here's a bunch I made using the magic the gathering template and images because...well...I'm lame.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Give your friend a paladin. High survival rate in combat due to their armour, HP and saving throw bonus. They can't cast spells until a few levels in and even then their spellcasting is fairly minor. Just remind your friend about their lay on hands and smite evil abilities where required.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually, I mostly like the idea that Paulus had: Fill out your remaining feats with Improved Toughness. One, it would make him really tough. Second, it would be absolutely hilarious.

Fighter is always a good choice for newer/non-D&D players. I would go so far as to do the optional Rogue where he gets bonus feats instead of sneak attack. Why? For more hp, of course! If you are worried about his power level (and who wouldn't with this really sub-optimal class), give him the feats that lets him Power Attack and reduce his AC (because he's strong enough to take the hits) and maybe the Leap Attack.

For his feats, I would also give him the +2 bonus to Fort, Ref, and Will saves, then Weapon Focus / Weapon Specialization line, Power Attack and the couple listed above. Beyond that? All Improved Toughness. He'll have somewhere around infinite hit points and still be able to dish out some pretty good damage. And for roleplaying? How hard is it to roleplay the toughest S.O.B. around? ^_^

The bonus to this is that everything is listed on his sheet as static bonuses, with the exception of the Power Attack... which you can still list seperately so he knows what his max P.A. does.

20. - Top - End - #20

BlueKnightGuy

Alot of good suggestions so far. Giving him a non-gestalt build would indeed be simpiler, but I had hoped to give him more power. Or at least a build that would survive being along-side his combat lovin, adventure crazy, dungeon hoppin buddies.

His social Rping is...well...kinda like is real life role-play. Cool guy once you get to know him...but...thats as far as I'm gonna go other then to say "not so good".

I've also thought of Sorcerer. He plays alot of blaster Wizards. The problem is that he's not so good at defending himself as a wizard, and thats a bad thing when your pumping out lightning bolts or fireballs that paint a big sign to your enemies "THIS IS A CASTER, KILL HIM."

Warlock could be good though. Maybe give him some simple stuff, replace the wording so its easier for him. i.e. the invocation that acts as Shout, and just call it "Shout".

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Fighter or barbarian//warlock with hideous blow; big melee damage at low levels?
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

22. - Top - End - #22

Anything but Fighter. I suggest Barbarian//Scout.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Colossus in the Playground

I suggest Wildshape Ranger on one side (going into Master of Many Forms), Monk on the other. All he needs is a couple of character sheets for his different forms.

Nothing really changes; sure, he'll have Track and such but those aren't really relevant. It should be really easy to grok and pretty efficient. The Monk's mostly there for the Wis to AC; you could proceed with e.g. Barbarian or Fighter from those few levels.

But yeah, Wildshape Ranger/MoMF should be really, really easy to play provided you just suggest him few forms to use and give him the character sheet on those. It's also a strong character so he doesn't have the trouble of having to worry about his own life.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Changing forms is second only to monster summoning in bookkeeping hell.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

seconding warlock or DFA to keep things relatively simple. I used a similar solution in a game. (Here! have a minotaur. Go squish.)

Be prepared to write out a cheat sheet for the character with total save bonuses/ total hit and damage bonuses (prefigure a certain quantity for power attack if you use that option), maybe write out some careful fight/prefight suggestions.

Psionics, if you choose to use them would be relatively simple. You have X powers and Y power points to fuel it. You can spend more than your manifester level on any one power. Attempt powers in Z order of importance.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by FMArthur View Post
    Changing forms is second only to monster summoning in bookkeeping hell.
    Which is why you have couple of sheets for the forms you actually use and then stick to those forms. Unless you can remember a bunch of 'em by heart (which isn't that hard, really).
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

I agree with the folks in the Fighter camp. Keep it simple, suggest the more passive feats, and skill that only come up when the need for them is explicit, like Swimming and Climbing.

28. - Top - End - #28

This screams Paladin. Go High Cha, high Con, Dwarven Deepwarden Paladin. Steadfast determination for con to will saves, fortification armor, and be a walking wall.

Get the feat that allows shield bonus to apply to touch AC, and divine shield, so that his Cha mod can turn into an enhancement bonus to the shield. That'd be about the only ability he'd need to remember, and he'd be tough as nails.

Go the Holy warrior Paladin (feats instead of spells), and it's a solid concept.

29. - Top - End - #29

High Charisma dwarf... my mind boggles.

30. - Top - End - #30

Mayhap a Gold Dwarf? At least they don't have Cha penalty (they have Dex instead).