New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

Default Now You Can't Say You've Never Done This Before - IC

[OOC: The OOC thread is here.]

Introduction

The past decade has not been kind to the Kingdom of Callendrei. A string of bad harvests left many villages teetering on the edge of famine, while in the great port city of Zapadabran relentless, cutthroat competition between the three major Trading Houses left one House bankrupt and the other two in dire financial straits -- and countless artisans and small merchants destitute.

When the frost giants invaded, it was almost a relief. Here, at least, was an enemy who could be fought, a foe more tangible than weather and economics. That the “invasion” was merely the latest in a centuries-long string of sporadic raids on remote northern villages meant little when national pride was on the line. King Larioq III and his armies strode forth from the capitol city of Vash-Zedrei to the cheers of adoring crowds, bound for Victory and Glory in the North.

The War Against the Giants has ground on for six long years now, and Victory and Glory in the North still stubbornly elude the King. A seemingly unbreakable cycle has developed: brief periods of bloody combat followed by endless, quarrelsome months of fruitless negotiation. With the Kings attention fixed firmly on the frost giant problem, the rest of the Kingdom languishes in neglect. Lawlessness and banditry are on the rise. Goblin tribes, bands of orcs -- and, rumor has it, far more dangerous creatures as well -- thrive in forests left unpatrolled since the King called his ranger companies north.

In short, Callendrei is a land in dire need of heroes -- and a land of opportunity for those brave or foolish enough to heed...

The Call to Adventure

Maybe you found it lying crumpled in the dust in a crowded marketplace, or perhaps it was plastered to the wall next to your seat in a low dockside inn. Maybe a friend saw it and thought of you, or you may have first heard the words from the lips of a town crier who handed you a copy as you stopped to listen. However it happened, the following notice caught your eye...

ADVENTURERS WANTED

JOACHIM SZANDBORNE,
    merchant prince of the Desert East
    and Proprietor of the famed Tavern “GILDED CAGE”
    (at the crossing of the King’s and Great Western roads),

seeks a small band of Hardy and Capable persons
    of diverse Martial and Mystical talent for

A BRIEF EXPEDITION

requiring some small Travel
    and bearing potential Risk of bodily Harm.

Renumeration, in the form of

ONE HUNDRED
    GOLD COINS

guaranteed each Survivor
    upon successful conclusion of the Endeavor.

No experience necessary;
    apply in person at the Gilded Cage by no later than month’s end.

The Gilded Cage

If you’ve spent much time in Callendrei at all you’ve probably heard of the Gilded Cage. Located where the Kingsroad and the Great Western Road meet, frequented by merchant and mercenary, noble and nobody alike, the Gilded Cage is a well-known hub of gossip, commerce, and more than a little intrigue. It also stocks an amazing variety of wines and ales at reasonable prices, and the food’s not bad either.

It’s also possible that you’ve heard of the Gilded Cage’s owner, Joachim Szandborne. A wealthy and eccentric merchant hailing from some place exotic and unspecified, Joachim runs a vast international trade network out of the tavern. It’s said that he has agents in half a hundred cities or more, and that in nearby Zapadabran, there’s scarcely a ship in the harbor that he doesn’t have at least part interest in.

No matter what you’ve heard, there’s no preparing you for your first sight of the Gilded Cage. The place is an architectural marvel. Or monstrosity, depending on your tastes. The vast, sprawling structure seems cobbled together out of the spare parts of a thousand lesser buildings, low and rambling in some places, soaring to four or even five daringly cantilevered stories in others, festooned with a formidable array of turrets, towers, cupolas, crenellations, at least one flying buttress, and a veritable forest of chimneys.

Despite its odd appearance the place is obviously well maintained, and as you draw closer the smells of cooking and the sounds of revelry beckon you within.

Inside, the tavern is warm and comfortable, all dark-stained wood and polished brass gleaming in the light of torches and the cheery glow from massive stone hearths. Two long tables stretch down the length of the great hall, their benches mostly full but not crowded. A long, curved bar dominates one wall, while a minstrel’s stage sits at the far end of the hall. Numerous doorways branch off in all directions, leading to smaller dining areas, private rooms, and who knows what else.

The air is filled with woodsmoke and a hint of incense, boisterous laughter, snatches of song, and the babble of drunken conversations in a dozen different languages.

[OOC: For your introductory posts, go ahead and mention whatever events you feel like going into that lead up to your arriving at the Gilded Cage. Joachim will meet with you to discuss his proposal on the last day of the month. If you decide your character arrived at the tavern before that day, don’t worry about paying for drinks and stuff; we’ll just assume that the costs of your food and lodging were part of your starting gold.

If anyone wants to strike up a conversation with another character while you’re waiting for Joachim, go for it! Most of the staff knows that he’s put out a call for adventurers -- it’s not the first time he’s done so -- so someone will have probably pointed you out to each other.

If anyone wants their characters to already know each other or be connected in some way, work it out in the OOC thread.

Once we’ve got everyone in the same place at the same time we can move the story along.]

Dementia:
    Spoiler
    Show

If you still want Lynnwood (Beattle? Does he go by first or last name?) to work at the tavern, here’s what you know about Joachim: not much. He takes a very “hands-off” approach to management; you’ve seen him, and you’ve certainly heard him, but you’ve probably never actually spoken to him.

He doesn’t so much run the place as he holds court there; it seems every other patron that walks through the door is an old friend of his, to be greeted in his deep, booming voice and hustled off for a bit of business or gossip.

Once in a while, when the mood strikes him, he’ll tend bar for a bit -- usually forgetting to charge anyone for their drinks -- only to wander off a few minutes later engrossed in a conversation with someone.

Other times he’ll disappear into his study (or one of his studies, as most of the sprawling tavern complex is comprised of his private quarters) for days on end without explanation.

Among the staff, any number of often absurd and usually contradictory rumors about him circulate. The only thing everyone agrees on is that no one has ever actually seen him leave the tavern.
    Last edited by arrowhen; 2010-07-03 at 09:14 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Now You Can't Say You've Never Done This Before - IC

The dusty road was long and it took a decent deal of time for Ricroar to arrive at the crossing where the Gilded Cage sat. Ricroar smiles seeing the building the butterflies would churn in his stomach and yes it was more than just hunger. The parchment he tore from the tree at the edge of the woods a call for heroes something he would not pass up. Ricroar would enter the tavern the various smells intoxicating his senses as he looked for an open stool. Ricroar nods and then speaks that elf voice would ring true (most defiantly of a wild elf variant )

"Wine please preferably red if you have it and whatever meal you are serving."

Ricroar smiles placing a few coins upon the counter nervous as well as excited about the up coming adventure.

(RED IS ME GRRR!!)
    Last edited by Doombringer; 2010-07-04 at 02:45 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Having been bid by his lord to travel the realms and learn of distant places many a year ago, Sohn had been present in the lands around Callendrei for quite some time. Having heard rumors about the Gilded Cage, and its owner’s call to adventure, Sohn of the Riverheart has traveled here to seek his fortune, knowledge, and new jokes.

Sohn arrives 3 days before Joachim is to speak with the adventurers and makes arrangements for lodgings in the meantime.

He spends his spare time either in his room playing his harmonica, carousing about the tap room, making a nuisance of him wherever stories may be found, and generally having an out and out good time.

[OOC: nevrousness, yay]

4. - Top - End - #4

Ricroar spotted the man weaving himself in and out of the crowd his tongue moved much faster than even many of the people of Ricroar's elven village. Ricroar watched the man's antic for a few days before finally speaking.

"Are you always in such a good mood?"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Sohn stops mid antic and with a large and goofy grin replies

Only whenever possible, after all, compiling everything I learn is veery time consuming, and not very much fun; But my lord bid me travel and learn as I would. So here I am: Sohn of the Riverheart, Bard, Adventurer, Rescuer of Distressed Damsels, Smiter of Bugs (icky!) Asker of Questions, Teller of Tales Sohn continues listing several grandoise titles that may or may not actually exist before ending with and Travelling Irritant Extrordinaire!

Sohn does an over-the-top bow and then asks

"And who might you be?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Edrik cautiously enters the immodest architectural abomination known commonly as Gilded Cage holding a small paper handbill titled "Adventurers Wanted", from which he glances up, looks around at all the probable ne'er-do-wells who frequent the establishment, then neatly folds the paper and tucks it into his belt.

Though the journey hasn't been terribly far from the nearest cloister of St. Cuthberts where Edrik has been staying, he still has a road-weary look about him. With lawlessness running rampant in Callendrei, the brothers of St. Cuthbert have been busy restoring Law and peace wherever possible. Word recently reached the brothers (via the aforementioned handbill) of the need for adventurers to possibly right some wrongs, and Edrik volunteered once again for the duty.

Edrik looks around for anyone who might be the Joachim named on his piece of paper, and decides to inquire at the bar and order himself some water (or milk preferably, since he does not permit himself to drink). On the way, he brushes past two loudmouths who seem to be prattling on about adventuring, and decides to keep an eye on them since they may be here for the same reason he is.

7. - Top - End - #7

:Ricroar looked to the man and smirked:

"Sohn I am Ricroar.....I have no fancy titles of yet but I will have several when my tale is done I promise that."

:Ricroar had a look of determination in his eye and one could tell he was a skilled well trained warrior.:

"And what brings you here ..myself it is to meet a man about an adventure."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Beattle skulked in the corner with his arms petulantly crossed his chest. He had spent nearly a full moon's turn in Callendrei and had still not personally met Joachim Szandborne nor been able to unearth additional information than what was contained on the missive.

He surveyed the hall. Mostly it contained the normal assortment of local villagers and merchants that called the Cage home after (and often before) their work for the day had done. Sohn, the blonde haired bard, who had taken residence a few days before, appeared to have found a new friend. The elf Sohn spoke with, Beattle felt, was also almost assuredly here in response to Joachim’s advertisement.

He eyed them appraisingly, a slight shiver passing up his spine in anticipation. Shortly, these two men (well, man and elf) and he would be off to who knows where doing who knows what. Such a small band, would it be enough?

There was another newcomer, a man of religion, speaking with Markese behind the bar. It was impossible to tell if he had come for the job or had just stopped at the Cage along his journey. Beattle scuffed the floor impatiently. Tonight would be the night.

A louder than normal noise brought his black eyes to the far corner of the main hall. Someone had overturned their cup and bowl. He sighed. It wasn’t that he disliked working it was just that cleaning slops was beneath him. A sorcerer of his rising abilities shouldn’t be reduced to this. Moreover, Markese, had refused to let him use any of his magic after his fire-light spell had gotten a little out of hand.

Beattle reluctantly hoisted the too large mop and bucket and crossed the hall to earn his bed and breakfast.

Spoiler
    Show
    I've moved the time up to the night we're supposed to meet Joachim. Hope that's not a problem.
    Last edited by Dementia; 2010-07-06 at 08:44 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Well, to avoid wasting to much of your time I merely travel wherever my feet take me, and latch onto anything that sounds interesting to me. Sohn produces a copy of the "adventurers wanted" poster from his clothing And this looked fairly interesting. I imagine I can get at least one good story out of this trip. The money is nice too. Sohn trails off wistfully...

with an inquisitive gleam in his eye, Sohn asks
    so, Ricroar, did you travel far to come upon this adventure?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Alton had not been in Callendrei very long before hearing of the opportunities offered at the Gilded Cage. He travelled often, and rarely spent long periods of time in one city.

It was the title that caught his eye. It read "merchant prince of the Desert East". Whoever Joachim Szandborne was, Alton wanted to meet him.

Alton preferred to show up to something on time. Not early, or late. Near the month's end he made his way to the Gilded Cage, excited by the thought of what the prince may be like.

As he rounded the bend on Kingsroad, the sight of the Gilded Cage caused Alton to stop in his tracks. He furrowed his brow as his eyes studied the odd building. 'What an abysmal structure.' thought Alton as he noted the varied architecture. 'There is no consistency here whatsoever.' Alton puzzled for a moment, lightly tapping his left foot as he thought to himself. 'No matter. Likely the prince allows for such a design in order to appeal to the common folk.' Alton nodded to himself as he approached and reached for the door, clearly content with his deductive reasoning. 'A simply brilliant business decision, I might add.'

As he entered the tavern, Alton immediately felt slightly uncomfortable. Although he did not despise the locale, nor its patrons; he simply never spent much time in taverns. Growing up he never set foot within one, and since he had been out on his own, he avoided spending excessive time there.

The main hall seemed lively, and Alton's eyes wandered about the place as he made his way slowly towards the minstrel's stage.

It seemed Alton had only been there 5 seconds when he heard a noise in the corner of the hall. It appeared that a man had dumped his meal everywhere. Alton's unease continued to grow. 'Let us hope Prince Szandborne is easy enough to find.'

11. - Top - End - #11

"I have trained all my life for this day..Sohn.." :Ricroar smiled and then said.:"I was taught at a fighting academy for years and placed as a guard for several of my peoples high court...you ask me how far I have traveled my good friend..my answer is my entire lifetime."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Edrik arrives at the counter and gains the attention of the grisly man standing behind it.
    'Pardon me, sir, but could I trouble you for a cup of milk?'

'We gots ale and wine here, buddy', the man replies immediately after dropping a wad of brown liquid from his mouth into a nearby spittoon.

'I see, none at all then? You see I'd really like to spend my gold here, but I am not permitted to imbibe that sort of thing, but I suppose I can take my business elsewhere...'

'Well times is tough for things like that, but I could send my halfling to see if he can squeeze some out of the old goat in the back...'

'Erm, that's quite alright, thank you. Say, perhaps you could help me with this.' Edrik says, unfolding the paper tucked in his belt and sliding it cooly across the bar toward the bartender. The sight of this seems to make the man suddenly quiet.
    He quickly folds the paper and shoves it back across the countertop, shrugging his shoulders dramatically as if to indicate to anyone who might be watching that he doesn't know what Edrik is talking about. He then leans in close and silently indicates the two loudmouthed fellows across the room who seem to be comparing the sizes of each others... erm... adventures.

'Well, thank you anyway, sir, but I'll pass on that milk.' Edrik replies, reluctantly taking the hint.

Despite the bartender's odd behavior, Edrik figures the best way to attack this problem is to approach it directly, so he walks directly over to the man and the elf. 'Pardon my interruption, gentlemen, but it seems you and I might be here on similar business. Does either one of you know anything about this fellow Szandborne?'

13. - Top - End - #13

BlackDragon

It was Hairy Maurice; Beattle should have known. Most of the day’s stew had slid down Maurice’s tunic and trousers, blending in with remnants of meals past. The old man turned his tufted duck-like head towards Beattle, while one lazy eye jolted along to catch up.

“Maurice…” Beattle began without an ending in sight.

“Once we kilt the dragon, there’ll be no many of those blighted popping kobolds attacking my stewed,” Maurice slurred in a high pitched whine.

It was the way of things. Everyone in the Cage knew Hairy Maurice was mad, sun and moons there were times Beattle wondered if everyone in the Cage wasn’t mad. And where did that leave him? Who had ever heard of a Halfling sorcerer?

“You listen here boyun, once that dragoon be gone there’ll be stewed for all the kobolds and gnermlicks in Callendrei and they’ll leave off my bowl,” Maurice advised.

“Maurice, you know there aren’t any dragons left in Callendrei,” Beattle reminded him. “But, you know…those gnermlicks are MUY ENFUEGO!” Beattle proclaimed with a twitch of his fingers.

With that, a glowing humanoid figure danced across the table. Maurice stuttered and grasped his empty bowl eyes wide in his determination to salvage the last droplets of stew.

“BEATTLE! LEAVE OFF OLD HAIRY MAURICE,” came Markese’s booming voice.
    Last edited by Dementia; 2010-07-06 at 09:06 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

A stout, grizzled dwarf with an unlit cigar clamped between his teeth stomps up to you, glares at Beattle for a minute, then grumbles, “Right, you lot. Boss’ll see ya’s now. Let’s go. An’ bring yer drinks. It’ll give ya’s something to do while he talks your ears off.

The dwarf ushers you into a large, sumptuously furnished office. Thick carpets line the floor, while the walls are hung with fine tapestries and oil paintings. Landscapes mostly.

Five comfortable looking overstuffed leather chairs -- one of them a halfling-scale miniature of the rest -- form a half circle in front of a wide wooden desk piled high with books, scrolls, maps, inkpots and quills, small glass lenses, brass letter openers, less-identifiable curiosities, and at least one sleeping cat.

Even seated, the man behind the desk looks massively proportioned. Broad shouldered, muscular but with more than a hint of paunch, clad in rich but somewhat disheveled silks, he presents an aura of barely restrained vigour. His skin is the color of mahogany, his head shiny-bald, his face adorned with a prodigious moustache, thick, jet black, elaborately curled and extending a full hand’s-breadth beyond either side of his head.

He lifts a sheet of parchment from an alarmingly tall stack on one end of the desk, scans it, sighs eloquently, and signs it with a flourish, depositing it in a much smaller stack at the other end of the desk.

He looks up as you enter the room, a mischievous twinkle in his eye.

Never start business,” he declares in richly accented Common. “All you do is sign name, sign name, sign name.

Once, I fight duel. Was very important matter of honor and propriety. Plus, we were drunk. Was very dramatic duel! Rapiers on rooftop. In thunderstorm! Thrust. Parry. Riposte. Finally, opponent slip on wet roofing tile. I lunge! Aim? Perfect. Timing? Impeccable. Form? Flawless. But do I pierce heart? No! I do not!

My hand, you see. Is so used to sign name, sign name, sign name, that poor bastard end duel with ‘Joachim, S., Esq.’ carved into chest! Was for best, though. Healing spell cheaper than ressurection, no?

Is true story...

Is... mostly true story...

Actually, is fanciful fabrication to drive home point. But! We are not here to discuss soul crushing mundanities of business, but to discuss Exciting! Adventure! Opportunity! So. Please. Introduce self. Have refreshment and take seat and I will tell you of dangerous quest to recover cursed sword!

15. - Top - End - #15

BlackDragon

Beattle squinted his eyes warily. There was something amiss…the chair; as though it was meant for him. It was too contrived…too convenient. Joachim Szandborne did not seem like one who could be trusted. Beattle’s original awe was held in check, the man knew too much.

“I am Cade Greenbottle,” Beattle informed the man. “I hail from Leahallow. I have slayed two orcs with no more than my bare hands…and a cadre of the Prince’s own best men, although that required a knife fashioned from the finest iron mines of Dwarvan smelt .”

Beattle dropped his voice to a near whisper "There is a price on my head.”

He waited...for the others' introduction and Szandborne's response.

[OOC: Beattle is not trying to bluff Joachim. He's feeling defensive and trying to match his tall tales with ones of his own. Trying to test his mettle and seem more experienced than his actual experience....that he can play the game too.]
    Last edited by Dementia; 2010-07-07 at 12:10 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Alton stepped forward an made sure to make eye contact for his introduction. With his left hand on the hilt of his rapier and his right drawn across his waist he bowed low.

"I sir, am Alton Tu'neris." he said with a confident voice that masked his nervousness. "I have also engaged in my fair share of duels" he stepped to the side as he pointed to his sheathed rapier, before walking towards one of the larger chairs and taking a seat. "Perhaps one day I me be so fortunate as to engage in a duel as exciting as your fabrication." He made sure to say this last part with a genuine smile, aware of the fact that it could be misconstrued.

With that Alton sat back in his chair, waiting expectantly for a response, or for the others to introduce themselves. He certainly knew that speaking too much could leave a bad first impression.

17. - Top - End - #17

:Ricroar looked to the man...stepping forward after his elf ears heard the tales of others he simply gulped hearing the tales.: "I am Ricroar Forgedawn and I hail from the forest not to far from here" :Ricroar made sure not to give away the exact location and then said.: "I have no great tales like the others but I am skilled with just about any weapon you can imagine...and have been a guard of my people for some time."
    Last edited by Doombringer; 2010-07-07 at 04:07 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Sohn steps up to behind one of the overstuffed chairs and drops his hat and his gloves into it. leaning against the chair he says in a uncharacteristicly.. 'abrubt' and somber manner.

I am Sohn of the Riverheart. Traveling minstrel and adventurer. I seek fame and fortune and knowledge.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Edrik listens silently to the stories of the other potential adventurers, and notes that certain ones among them might eventually be troublesome. Anyhow, they might prove useful if this mission turns out to be a worthy cause.

Most esteemed sir, begins Edrik, I am Edrik, a Cuthbertine. I wish to express my conditional interest in your supposed expedition.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

Joachim rises from his seat, smiling, clapping his hands together delightedly as you make your introductions.

“Good, good! Greetings, Master Green-Beetle, Master Tu’neris. Dy bannee dhyt, Ricorar Forgedawn. Master Sohn, Brother Edrik, be welcome! I will now describe expedition.

When I am not drowning in tedious paperwork, I collect things. Story, legend, rumor... information. Is sometimes useful in business, but mostly just joy of learning something new.”

Joachim paces around the room as he speaks, punctuating his words with broad, animated gestures.

“I have other hobby as well: magic. Now, I will never be great wizard. Is hard work, require much patience, much discipline. Not strong points. I can manage a few cantrips, a few simple tricks, am satisfied. Maybe if I was born sorcerer, story be different, but no. Besides, real interest is theory. I sit down many evening with book of arcane formula, pot of strong coffee, and next I know? Sun is rising already!

“Special interest of mine, curses. Curses terrible and dangerous things, harm many. So? I study them! Maybe some day learn new way to break, do something good, useful, with time-wasting hobby.

“So. Four, no, five years ago, I have letter from agent in far-off land. Adventurers exploring ruins find magic sword. Have identified. Is cursed! Useless in battle, much bad luck to wielder. Agent purchase and send to me on ship. I am thinking, perfect opportunity to study cursed object up close. Plus, keep dangerous thing out of hands of foolish people. Is good idea, no?

But! Ship never arrive. Pirate, bad storm, sea monster, who knows? Is tragedy, but not unusual one, sad to say. I provide for sailors’ families, of course, then put from mind.

“Recently, I hear tale of shipwreck in bay just north of here. Merchant ship. At first I do not connect stories. Would not have been my ship. My ship trade out of Zapadabran. All merchant ship do. Bay to north have no real port, no real town, only string of fishing village. Besides, timing all wrong. My ship go missing years before this ship sink.

“I have business associate in Greyclyff, nearest fishing village to site of shipwreck. Every spring, I buy wagon load of smoked herring. Give good price, help hard working fishing people afford a few luxury. Smoked herring not popular food in Callendrei, but sometimes have as guest merchant caravan from Ervrik-Tor. They cannot get enough! Remind them of home.

“But this year, no herring. No word from Greyclyff at all. I ask around, no one hear from Greycliff or nearby villages in many weeks. In my mind, I am thinking all these things connected.

“I am thinking, what if ship that sank near Greyclyff was my ship? What if mysterious, unlucky cursed sword has resurfaced after all these years? (Is pun. ‘Resurfaced.’) I am also thinking even if I am wrong about sword, people of Greycliff may need help. Help that foolish giant-obsessed king not likely to provide."

He finally stops pacing, coming to rest on your side of the desk. He leans forward intently, making sure he has everyone's attention.

“So. Expedition. First task for brave young adventurers: discover situation in fishing village of Greyclyff. Second task: find cursed sword and bring to me. Also, if you find shipment of smoked herring, would make homesick Evrik-Torian caravaneers happy.

“The village is about forty miles north, along the Kingsroad. Here, I have map...

“Do you have any question?”

Quote Originally Posted by Joachim's map

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Sohn raises his hand.
    I've a question, master-merchant, have you any clue as to the nature of the curse upon this sword?
    Sohn has a second question, but it's asking is dependent upon any questions presented by his colleages to be.

[OOC: I am so jealous, did you make that map yourself?]

22. - Top - End - #22

Ricroar looked to the man and waited for an answer to Sohn's question..it was the same one he was going to ask..but just remained silent until the question was answered or he found something else that was in need of asking.
    Last edited by Doombringer; 2010-07-09 at 01:56 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

The object of the quest puts Edrik ill at ease. Cursed items of that power should be put in the hands of good arcanists who know how to handle them, not an amateur "hobbyist" with unclear intentions. Anyhow, the prospect of easing the suffering of that town may make the trip worthwhile...

Interrogating Joachim about his intentions won't be of any benefit right now, so Edrik waits for the man's response.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Alton spends some time contemplating the quest. Running errands to what appear to be remote villages is not what Alton considers to be worthwhile. It seems that there would be little opportunity in this endeavor to meet anyone in high places. However, the opportunity to impress Prince Szandborne seemed quite enticing. Having him as more than a simple acquaintance could prove to be more than useful in his quest to attain a higher status. After these few thoughts, Alton feels comfortable with the proposal and speaks up.

"As long as we can figure out how to safely transport the artifact, I have no questions or qualms."
    Last edited by luv2breformed; 2010-07-09 at 03:09 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

BlackDragon

Beattle's eyes twinkle merrily. Casting aside his initial reservations of Joachim, he becomes enchanted with the tale.

Mysterious cursed artifact, imperiled town...Beattle's only question is when do we leave!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

Joachim nods at Sohn.

"Prudent question," he says. "Letter say only these things: sword found by adventurers in temple sunken beneath waves of southern ocean. Wizard identify; say cursed, say useless in battle, say cause misfortune to wielder.

"Now identify spell, even I can do. Is expensive and taste bad -- crush pearl in wine, stir with owl feather, who come up with these things? But not difficult magic. Know limit of spell: will not identify extremely powerful legendary relics fashioned by gods themselves or by wizards of ages past with power far beyond limit of present day knowledge. No, is ordinary magic item.

"Whatever 'ordinary' mean when talk of magic."

Gesturing toward Alton, he continues.

"Yes. Transport. Am thinking of passage in Belraziendir's The Will and the Wheel: a Treatise on the Application of Dweomercraft to Tools and Devices. To summarize: a tool, whether sword or plow, key or catapult, is extension of user's will. Is much easier to make tool work better for user than make tool work by itself, or do work of other tool. Make sword sharper or help aim, not so difficult. Make sword fight by itself or paint house, much more trouble.

"Footnote suggest cursed object much same. Some curse bend, twist... subvert user's will. Some curse do opposite of user's will. Some curse control user's will, make them will new thing. Usually evil, eventually self-destructive thing. All have in common, though, user's will.

"So. Practical solution: do not be user of cursed object.

"Have of course heard of magic thing that to touch or even look upon can hurt, even kill. But this sword? Adventurers touch, wizard touch. Agent touch, not hurt, not die but send letter saying 'Here, Joachim, is interesting thing. I buy and send to you, you like, no?'

"So I am thinking: touch, examine, carry thing from place to place, probably fine. Try to use, maybe not so fine, no?

"Once here I have special place. Wizard friend in Zapadabran build to pay off epic-level bar tab. Magic outside, not go in. Magic inside, not come out. Is safe place for dangerous thing. Worst case scenario: foolish old innkeeper meddle with sword in safe room, go insane and die. Life is risk.

"Most likely scenario: foolish old innkeeper meddle with sword in room, take note, understand some thing, wonder about many more, have long fascinating conversation with wizard friend on next visit.

"So. Who else have question?"

[OOC: big teej -- yeah, I made it in Photoshop, with the help of some online tutorials. The hardest part was remembering the basics of how to use Photoshop; it'd been a couple years.]

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by arrowhen View Post
    Joachim nods at Sohn.

"Prudent question," he says. "Letter say only these things: sword found by adventurers in temple sunken beneath waves of southern ocean. Wizard identify; say cursed, say useless in battle, say cause misfortune to wielder.

Sohn mentally files this particular statement away for later use

Sohn is still mentally kicking his second question back and forth, that question being "Are we to provide our own means of transport and provisions for the trip?" but refrains from asking because he isn't sure how such a question would be recieved by the merchant. And thus keeps hoping one of his companions-to-be will ask

his hopes are not high however

looking around at the rest of the group Sohn asks what he feels is the most important question of them all

while I have complete confidence in the abilities of us all, one very important question remains.... who will carry the weapon once we have found it?

Arrowhen
    Spoiler
    Show

[OOC: now granted, if sohn can get away with that question without offending the merchant, he'll ask, but I as a player have no way of knowing whether Sohn would know how the merchant would react.]

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

big teej: (And remember, everyone else is allowed to read these too.)
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by big teej View Post
    [OOC: now granted, if sohn can get away with that question without offending the merchant, he'll ask, but I as a player have no way of knowing whether Sohn would know how the merchant would react.]
    I see this as one of those "say yes or roll the dice" situations. I could have you roll a Sense Motive check to try and "read" the social situation, but since I don't see any particularly interesting and dramatic consequences if you fail, I'll just tell you:

The guy's obviously not just a merchant but a successful merchant from a foreign land. He's had years of practice making lucrative deals with people from all over the world, people from a wide range of cultures with a wide range of customs. He didn't get where he is today by getting offended when someone asks a perfectly reasonable question during a business negotiation.

You don't know if he'll agree to provide transportation or provisions, but there's probably no harm in asking.

29. - Top - End - #29

:Ricroar looked to the man and said:"That is an awful long walk how quickly do you want this blade returned.." :Ricroar looked to the man seeing if he could get the hint the longer it took to get there the longer it takes to get the item..and then there was the ride back.:-f-

30. - Top - End - #30

BlackDragon

Beattle answers the bard as the elf submits his own query, "I will carry the sword".

Spoiler
    Show
    Why do I feel all "Lord of the Rings"..."Give me my precious" of a sudden?