New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Default Dude, where's my jetpack?

Bill Willingham ponders the future -- which does not have jetpacks or flying cars -- and wonders where they are.

He actually has some good pictures at his site, having discovered that, in fact, jetpacks and flying cars do exist, but never went to market because they're not safe.

Unfortunately, the essay and the photos are just too lengthy to cut a good snippet -- so I'll just point you to the link and suggest pondering it.

I agree with his last paragraph, especially:

But let me close with one cautionary note. In all of Niven’s stories set in Known Space there was ever only one interesting Puppeteer character, the one who was insane enough to have a sense of adventure and daring. We haven’t quite wiped out the human need for adventure, daring and a desire to face danger. Far from it. Some may argue that we can’t ever fully exorcise that from the human condition, and I pray that’s true. But I have no doubt that we’re on the terrible path to “safety above all else.” I have no doubt that too many of us, including the majority who seek political power over us, subscribe to the safety gospel (probably because safety and under-control are synonymous — freedom being such a messy thing). But the distinguished Mr. Niven has shown us, maybe unintentionally, one thing, if we’re prepared to see it: we can’t be both safe and interesting.

I vote for interesting.
    Respectfully,

Brian P.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Dude, where's my jetpack?

I don't want flying cars - I just want land speeders () as not having to deal with road conditions would be nice. Flying cars always struck me as something that would be a huge mess. I mean look at all the accidents that happen with planes and those have people on the ground guiding them in. Can you imagine what it would be like if all the jerks on the road today were flying instead of driving? It would add a whole new dimension to be horrible in. I say no thanks. If the police and emergency vehicles fly though that's fine. So I'd like a mix between Star Wars and Blade Runner, basically.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trog View Post
    So I'd like a mix between Star Wars and Blade Runner, basically.
    You and every self-respectng geek, Trog
    Regular avatar by Dallas-Dakota.
    -----------
    Regarding mysellf:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Pretty sure that Anuan is the local weapons pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt View Post
    Anuan's house is a HOUSE OF DEATH!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas-Dakota View Post
    I'd go to his house and steal all the awesome.
    But I'm afraid I'd accidentally stab myself to death.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

The problem with flying cars, is not that they are unsafe for the user, but that they could be particularly unsafe for someone landed (or crashed) on by one.

Safety concerns should be about protecting us from each other, but still allowing the individual to be responsible for their own follies. Alas this is not the case; but the flying car fits fairly well into the former category - how to protect others from its misuse.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

How about these, I want to see these things more often. That would satisfy my want of jet packs for awhile.
    Check out My Writing
    New
    prestige class

Thanks for the Nude Avatar MethosHazara

Poem by me.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The stars glimmer
    and I can't help
    but wonder.
    Do they cry on those worlds,
    to?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

The best band name I've ever heard was We Were Promised Jetpacks. You've added a whole new element of social critique to that one, pendell .

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by McBish View Post
    How about these, I want to see these things more often. That would satisfy my want of jet packs for awhile.
    I WANT ONE!

You've added a whole new element of social critique to that one, pendell
    Yup. 'They' lived up to their promise. Lots of inventors have come up with jetpacks, flying cars, etc. But the world doesn't want 'em -- the future may have jetpacks, but the future also has sue-happy people with dollar signs in their eyes.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    Yup. 'They' lived up to their promise. Lots of inventors have come up with jetpacks, flying cars, etc. But the world doesn't want 'em -- the future may have jetpacks, but the future also has sue-happy people with dollar signs in their eyes.
    Exactly. The aerospace industry has been trying to tell people that for years, but the people who don't have the same temperament as test pilots or inventors (i.e. completely nuts hot-blooded people) don't want to fly to the moon with computers less powerful than their cell phone. They want to go around with rockets strapped to their backs and expect to not die if they mess up their trajectory. And they don't want to have to do all of the "boring calculations" beforehand, either.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

I want a hoverboard. C'mon Mattel, make my dreams come true.

Though frankly, I'd settle for those "power laces" shoes. They don't look like they'd be that hard to make, I'll have to look into that...

Interestingly, that lenticular rainbow hat he wears is available. My step brother has one.
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

One of my favourite 'the future is here now' things is Miku Hatsune. She is, more or less, a virtual idol - a singer, voice actress, and general media personality, despite not actually being a real human being at all. I just find it interesting that her existence as an entity independent of her creators or users is, if not acknowledged, then at least considered by some. Social futurism, if not technological.
    I write a gaming blog. It also hosts my gaming downloads:

Fatescape - FATE-based D&D emulator, for when you want D&D flavour but not D&D complexity.
    Exalted Mass Combat Rules - Because the ones in the core book suck.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

• You have a combined telephone/camera/computer/GPS sensor/inertial motion tracker/media player in your pocket with more power than a desktop PC had a few years ago, or than the entire Apollo space programme did!
    • A team of scientists recently worked out how to foam titanium so that bone, if broken, will grow over and meld with the titanium as it heals.
    • The guys are CERN are reheating the LHC for great fundamental physics justice.
    • We (finally) have aircraft capable of VTOL and supersonic vectored thrust flight, about 40 years after the Brits canned the original project.
    • NASA just tried to launch the rocket that replaces the Space Shuttle.
    • You can buy an electric car, or vehicles powered by hydrogen fuel cells, or by biofuels.
    • The Japanese unveiled a humanoid robot in 2000.
    • We have put men on the moon and probes on Mars.
    • Russia is a democracy, China has a capitalist economy, and India has a space programme!
    • Genetic and stem cell research are a generation away from curing many of our inherited ills.
    • We are two months away from entering the year 2010!

Read some mid-century sci-fi (Asimov, Clarke, Bradbury, etc.): we are living in the future! The problem with 'the future' is that it's a state of mind; not the world you and I live in today.
    Last edited by bosssmiley; 2009-10-27 at 07:21 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

And don't forget about the advancements in robotics. This one is my current fave.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by McBish View Post
    Holy crap, it is Mario Sunshine!

Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    • You have a combined telephone/camera/computer/GPS sensor/inertial motion tracker/media player in your pocket with more power than a desktop PC had a few years ago, or than the entire Apollo space programme did!
    • A team of scientists recently worked out how to foam titanium so that bone, if broken, will grow over and meld with the titanium as it heals.
    • The guys are CERN are reheating the LHC for great fundamental physics justice.
    • We (finally) have aircraft capable of VTOL and supersonic vectored thrust flight, about 40 years after the Brits canned the original project.
    • NASA just tried to launch the rocket that replaces the Space Shuttle.
    • You can buy an electric car, or vehicles powered by hydrogen fuel cells, or by biofuels.
    • The Japanese unveiled a humanoid robot in 2000.
    • We have put men on the moon and probes on Mars.
    • Russia is a democracy, China has a capitalist economy, and India has a space programme!
    • Genetic and stem cell research are a generation away from curing many of our inherited ills.
    • We are two months away from entering the year 2010!

Read some mid-century sci-fi (Asimov, Clarke, Bradbury, etc.): we are living in the future! The problem with 'the future' is that it's a state of mind; not the world you and I live in today.
    The cell phone is still probably the most amazing thing. I can talk to anyone almost anywhere. I can have an immediate answer to almost anything I could ever want to know (wikipedia is only 8 years old people) I can take a video and instantly send it to a friend so he can see what I just saw. I can buy and listen or read every song or book ever recorded/written. I can find my exact location on the earth and the exact route to take to go wherever I want to go. I can know the time/date anywhere on earth, and set alarms to wake me or remind me of something. I can determine the wind speed for rifle scope adjustments. (yes, there is an app for that) I have instant access to all world news. It has a freaking metronome function! And so many other things I haven't even listed. If the cell phone doesn't just make you want to crap yourself with how awesome it is go back to eating your government cheese because you will never be happy.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

One thing that i dont understand is why everyone is so suprised that the apollo spacecraft didnt have powerful computers, they didnt really need it, earth said this is where you need to go, set your dials and go, they didnt need super computers when they had math! :P But ya i would not want to live in a world where flying cars are avalible to the general public .... i mean hell most people can barely drive a regular car properly.
    We of the unicorn clan are the best horsemen in the land,our horses are our lives,we live as one,we fight as one,we die as one.

We are all awesome, each and every one of us, no matter who or what we are. Except those people who want to make other people feel bad ... them .. not so much!

"Say that our lives are measured not by gain but by giving."
    —The Forestmaster, Dragons of Autumn Twilight
    Spoiler
    Show

Hugs For The Hug God! Cuddles For The Cuddle Throne!!!! - Jacklu

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

I want a jetpack...

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

I just want a hoverboard too. Even if it never goes more than 1-2 feet off the ground. Admittedly, I can see how subways might get a little antsy about security, and they might have to make sure people don't get decapitated with low-hanging signs, but come on, that's what you have security staff and helmets, respectively, for.
    President of the Society for Hobgoblin Equality in Level Adjustment(SHELA)

Glowing Kitty from Lilly
    Wren Worgatar by Mephibosheth
    The Living Bullet!
    Unusual Inner Animal Avatar from Quincunx.
    Whenever you mention Pun-pun*SQUELCH!*, Ao kills another Kobold.
    Everytime someone says "Pazuzu" twice, Ao erases them on the next "Pa". Then he undeletes them so he can wipeinfo them from the multiverse.
    Everytime you kill a catgirl, I get more company.