New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Familicide does anyone have a write up?

hi all

i know there were LOADS of posts about this but i am having no luck finding them, does anyone have a write up for the spell (yes i know the spell doesn't exisit) but i am trying to find a copy of a write up someone did, at the time i didn't think my character would be high enough to ever cast it and now with my character gone from level 1 -- > 18 in the last 4 months i am seriously considering finding it and running it past my DM

so if anyone has a copy of it or a write up can they please post it.

thanks very much

Joel aka Itous
    a most exellent thank you to RPGsr4me for the brilliant avatars

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default Re: Familicide does anyone have a write up?

You'd need the epic level handbook, and if you have that, it should be pretty easy to work out with your DM what seeds and modifiers it would use to come up with a spellcraft DC for it. That said, the spell as presented is so open ended and powerful that the DC would have to be absolutely monstrous, if the GM even allowed it at all. There are a lot of factors to it that would have to be adhoc adjudications on the part of your GM.

For example, it would probably use the Slay Seed, wich has a base DC of 25, increased by 8 for each additional target. But how do you reflect the potential for infinite targets into the DC? There are no guidelines or even similar effects in the existing epic spells, so the GM would have to come up with something on his own to reflect it. If one of my players tried to craft the spell, i'd probably demand at least a dc equivilent to 100 extra targets for such an effect... wich would right there jack the DC up to 800+, and given that there seems to be no rituals requirements or other mitigations, that means you'd need to be an unimaginably powerful caster to pull it off.

Ultimately, I think Familcide is just outside the range of a caster in any normal campaign or even most outrageous ones, and was only allowed in OOTS by virtue of power of plot.
    Last edited by Thanatosia; 2009-11-15 at 07:42 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Epic spells, like cloister, don't actually exist as a sort of spell, you need to research them first.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

hmmmm intresting thanks for the feed back you two been very helpful unfortunately i have never used an epic spell and as a result don't know how epic spells work this whole seeds buisness is something i will have to research.

how ever i am thinking wouldn't you use the blood of the intended target and as a result use its magic and soul, i doubt it but maybe there is something to do with blood, maybe the target is the blood line and it works as one target using its own magic to fuel the next attack and spread like that, this would make sense as the dragon "V" from OOTS used wouldn't of had the ability to cast so maybe by using up its remaining spell slots and draining spell like abilities it could fuel the next attack?

just a thought ofr you guys i will research into seeds and stuff, i assume epic spells are written completely diffrent to normal spells?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Work on run-on sentences... your posts are rather hard to read.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Flumph

I vaguely recall seeing a version based on the contact seed that got the DC down into double figures.

EDIT: I managed to find myself saying this exact same thing, but I couldn't find the spell.
    Last edited by Studoku; 2009-11-15 at 06:53 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

I think requiring an intellegent (awakened?) undead creature as the focus, as seen in the comic, might reduce the DC even furthur.
    Perhaps limit the targets per level (10 targets per caster level?)

Edit: Nevermind, someone has writen it up here:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107483
    Last edited by Forbiddenwar; 2009-11-15 at 08:13 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Itous View Post
    hmmmm intresting thanks for the feed back you two been very helpful unfortunately i have never used an epic spell and as a result don't know how epic spells work this whole seeds buisness is something i will have to research.

how ever i am thinking wouldn't you use the blood of the intended target and as a result use its magic and soul, i doubt it but maybe there is something to do with blood, maybe the target is the blood line and it works as one target using its own magic to fuel the next attack and spread like that, this would make sense as the dragon "V" from OOTS used wouldn't of had the ability to cast so maybe by using up its remaining spell slots and draining spell like abilities it could fuel the next attack?

just a thought ofr you guys i will research into seeds and stuff, i assume epic spells are written completely diffrent to normal spells?

Here.

"................................................. ................."

Use these, PLEASE.

9. - Top - End - #9

DrowGirl

THe Familcide posted by the OP in that thread is a farce IMO. She's using the contact seed in a way that the seeds description explicitly forbids. Not only that, but she's completely ignored the +8dc per creature killed modifier that the Slay Seed requires.

She makes an attempt to defend the bypassed +8dc per target later in the thread, but the defense was seriously week - both by portraying the 'contact' as the most important part of the spell when Slay is most certainly the more central aspect to a spell designed for the sole purpose of slaying other creatures. And any GM who let you use some lame secondary seed to utterly bypass the normal multiple target costs is just bending over to rules abuse, why not just use a secondary seed for ALL slay-based spells and never pay the +8 DC?

Without turning it into a masive ritual requiring huge amounts of feedback, xp costs, and/or spell slots contributed by vast numbers of supporting casters, there is no reasonable way to design Familicide with a DC in reach for a character without many hundreds of ranks of Spellcraft.
    Last edited by Thanatosia; 2009-11-15 at 10:59 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

There's another version of the spell, this one made by Undead Prince: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...61&postcount=1

He got the DC all the way down to 48 (thanks mostly to the Contact Seed). It had lots and lots and... lots of discussion surrounding it. Sadly almost all of that discussion got folded into a different catch-all thread, and is thus nigh-unfollowable.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2009-11-16 at 02:59 AM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

11. - Top - End - #11

DrowGirl

That one is even worse, and for the exact same reasons - its using the Contact seed in a way that the contact seed description specificialy mentions it cannot be used, and again, it's exploiting a secondary seed to completely bypass the multitarget DC modifier of the slay seed - any DM who allows that will find players mixing in random seeds to all their epic spells even where they have no purpose being there just to void intended dc modifiers, its completely against the spirit of the rules within the context of a highly subjective and open ended design system where a DM is supposed to reign in exploitive loopholes.
    Last edited by Thanatosia; 2009-11-16 at 04:20 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Halfling in the Playground

Planetar

Unless you are evil, there's really no point in having a spell like this because it can only be used for one thing - genocide. You heard right, there is no justification for using a spell like this, ever. Further, fear of the spell itself will not arise until you yourself use it in an act of overt aggression against a well known individual. For how else are your threats to use a spell whose name is only whispered in secret to be taken seriously?

However, if you are looking to acquire it, I wish you the best of luck.
    Last edited by Elemental_Elf; 2009-11-16 at 05:14 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatosia View Post
    That one is even worse, and for the exact same reasons - its using the Contact seed in a way that the contact seed description specificialy mentions it cannot be used, and again, it's exploiting a secondary seed to completely bypass the multitarget DC modifier of the slay seed - any DM who allows that will find players mixing in random seeds to all their epic spells even where they have no purpose being there just to void intended dc modifiers, its completely against the spirit of the rules within the context of a highly subjective and open ended design system where a DM is supposed to reign in exploitive loopholes.
    Well, I don't want to get into a long back and forth about it (once was quite enough, thank you. ), but I will point out that there is no Epic Spell that does damage at "far away" distances, if one insists on using the range limitations of things like Slay*. All of the damage Seeds are based on "normal-ish" combat distances.

And I'm sorry, but if I am an Epic Level Mage, I should be able to concentrate and give someone a heart attack on the other side of the world (or send a lightning bolt [or whatever] at them). That's practically the definition of the word "Epic".

As for the rest... Nope not gonna argue it all again. I gave my reasons for various Seeds in the other thread, and I have absolutely no intention on doing so again.

* BTW: I will bend my "not repeat my arguments" stance ever so slightly to say this: I see no reason why I can't combine a Epic Spell like Soul Scry (which lets me tap into the thoughts of someone anywhere on the planet) and a damage spell.

After all, the EPH itself said that this is an Art not a Science.

So. Establish Contact and send magical death through the link. Makes sense to me.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2009-11-16 at 05:21 AM.

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

14. - Top - End - #14

DrowGirl

Well, I have no problems with add hoc modifiers for things there are no rules for, but the dc for an epic spell should at least be as high as any single component of the spell effect.

In other words, if your epic spell can kill 30 creatures, that's great if you use other seeds and factors to make them kill 30 creatures in cool or creative ways or targets them in funky ways or zings them from across the planet, but at the end of the day, its dc should be at LEAST as high as a simple spell that just slays 30 creatures in front of you, and all the fun modifiers and alternate seeds stacked on top of it should increase the DC from there.

The tricks they are playing with the Contact seed is creating a spell that kills X creatures with a DC less then a spell that kills X creatures should ever have. And that is my root argument with the Epic spells as they have built them - they are using a 'weak' effect (contact for communication purposes) to act as a 'price cover' on a very strong effect (instant death).

Its like if I have a lv1 spell that creates a flower, and a lv8 spell that creates a Pit Fiend, I should not be able to tack the 'create a demon' effect on to to flower summning spell to get a lv2 spell that makes a Pit Fiend with some flowers. Always go with the stronger effect for pricing, and add cheaper effects from there.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatosia View Post
    Well, I have no problems with add hoc modifiers for things there are no rules for, but the dc for an epic spell should at least be as high as any single component of the spell effect.

In other words, if your epic spell can kill 30 creatures, that's great if you use other seeds and factors to make them kill 30 creatures in cool or creative ways or targets them in funky ways or zings them from across the planet, but at the end of the day, its dc should be at LEAST as high as a simple spell that just slays 30 creatures in front of you, and all the fun modifiers and alternate seeds stacked on top of it should increase the DC from there.

The tricks they are playing with the Contact seed is creating a spell that kills X creatures with a DC less then a spell that kills X creatures should ever have. And that is my root argument with the Epic spells as they have built them - they are using a 'weak' effect (contact for communication purposes) to act as a 'price cover' on a very strong effect (instant death).

Its like if I have a lv1 spell that creates a flower, and a lv8 spell that creates a Pit Fiend, I should not be able to tack the 'create a demon' effect on to to flower summning spell to get a lv2 spell that makes a Pit Fiend with some flowers. Always go with the stronger effect for pricing, and add cheaper effects from there.
    Funnily enuf, "Game Design Philosphy" is exactly my reason for agreeing with the Contact Seed (tho I argued for using Reveal as well).

There are only 45 examples of Epic Spells in the SRD/ELH. And out of those examples exactly two deal with affecting/manipulating things at great distances (Soul Scry and Soul Dominion). All of the others are either generic effects that don't have a distance or are things that are designed to be used on the battlefield. This means that people looking for guidance on "long distance" Epic Spells, don't have much to look at to guide them. And as for the two spells that do work at a distance, they both have Contact (and Reveal). Reading the descriptions of the seeds, it seems clear to me that they make it as if the person targeted was right in front of you, thus bypassing the distance limitations.

Which brings me to the second design argument, which is slightly more in the weeds. It all comes down to what is the Base Seed, as that is the one that is affected most by limitations. If the Base Seed is Contact/Reveal, then the distance limitations of the other Seeds don't apply. If the Base Seed is some sort of Damage Seed, then they do.

It all comes down to the DM, I suppose.

I will say that at least five different people (on different boards no less) looking at Familicide have all come up with the Contact Seed solution. And we can't all be crazy, now can we?

Don't answer that.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2009-11-16 at 01:37 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Colossus in the Playground

No, but you could all have started from the basic position of having something that doesn't work by D&D rules and setting out to make it work.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    No, but you could all have started from the basic position of having something that doesn't work by D&D rules and setting out to make it work.
    I blame Epic Rules for being such a mess in the first place, myself.

They're not exactly... the most well thought out/tested part of DnD. At least in my personal opinion.

18. - Top - End - #18

NecromancerGuy

On the subject of Familicide, is it instantaneous?, because if it is (that is, the message travels faster than the speed of light), than you could send messages back in time...

Just my 2 cents

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dr._Demento View Post
    On the subject of Familicide, is it instantaneous?, because if it is (that is, the message travels faster than the speed of light), than you could send messages back in time...

Just my 2 cents
    Do you really want to know?
    When in Rome, do as the Huns do.
    I participated!

20. - Top - End - #20

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Manicotti View Post
    Yay cross web-comic references!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

I'm starting to think familicide is a DM spell, not a pc spell. I mean, when would a PC cast this spell? Unless they are evil, epic and want to skip the entire game, that is.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

i have been hurridly reading over the epic rules for making spells.

i have an idea as to how it could work, but i would need to bounce ideas back and forth, is anyone here experianced with writing epic spells, who is on a chat system who would want to give it a go even just for giggles as a fail epicly?

if anyone is intrested PM me

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

The interesting thing is that a fireball in a crowded area can potentially kill more (admittedly low level) targets with its 3rd-level effects than an epic spell can without needing god-like magic backing it up. And it's easier to use pre-epic spells ("scry and die") to kill a target on the far side of the world than epic spells.

The rules definitely needed an overhaul ....
    My name is actually supposed to be "Carnivorous Bean," but I didn't realize that it didn't fit until after I'd pressed the okay button.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Forbiddenwar View Post
    I think requiring an intellegent (awakened?) undead creature as the focus, as seen in the comic, might reduce the DC even furthur.
    Perhaps limit the targets per level (10 targets per caster level?)

Casting time of ten minutes? No way it took V that long to cast it in this strip.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Berserk Monk View Post
    Casting time of ten minutes? No way it took V that long to cast it in this strip.
    either time stop or it took ten minutes to kill all of them.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Acero View Post
    either time stop or it took ten minutes to kill all of them.
    This is the internet. I kindly ask you to stop using logic and reason.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

do you think the monster's soul wase used.

BoVD varient spell componants

Soul (larval Form) +2DC to saving throw (or its +2 to caster level i don't have the book open infront of me)

sould in recepticle +10 caster level (that one i know for a fact! :D )

also what about a transport / slay attack (epic spells say that there pretty boring so make them look flashy just for effect)

familicide was targeted agenst the blood line and not the creature so ideally a living member or a sample of some blood should be the required spell componant for it. V only bought the monster back to life to witness the monsterous deed he was about to do, being under his control with necrotic power he could of easily sapped the life from him at any point

(more later late for class!)

28. - Top - End - #28

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Itous View Post
    now with my character gone from level 1 -- > 18 in the last 4 months i am seriously considering finding it and running it past my DM
    This doesnt add much to the discussion, but if your DM is okay with that sort of speed of level progression, I dont think hes going to have any problems with overpowered spells.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MikelaC View Post
    This doesnt add much to the discussion, but if your DM is okay with that sort of speed of level progression, I dont think hes going to have any problems with overpowered spells.
    Maybe they played each day for four or so hours?

My contribution to this familicide-discussion is: Plot > Rules. What else is there to say?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Familicide does anyone have a write up?

Quote Originally Posted by MikelaC View Post
    wow if only you knew what we've been through, i would highly sujest you don't judge people, for all you know we gamed 4 days a week, unless your a player i sujest you keep it closed, k?

also strictly for the record it was between 8 - 12 hours per day (not including time for breaks) for 4 days -.-

also the reason why the spell seems so unbalanced is probably because you've never had a DM capable of handling an epic spell or even spells above 3rd level or simpley your not able to handle it yourself? or perhaps all of the above, that seems to be logical
    Last edited by Itous; 2009-11-18 at 08:54 AM.