Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Not in Trogland

    Default What happened during the Summer Updates

    What happened during the Summer Updates in the comic?

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What happened during the Summer Updates

    Alot.

    Probbably should read it.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    RMS Oceanic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What happened during the Summer Updates

    I shall provide a succinct, spoiler heavy summary.

    - Gobwin Knob rebuilt using the gems found after uncroaking the volcano.
    - Stanley once again shows lack of common sense and replaces Parson with Ansom as Chief Warlord. However, Parson's fine with this due to his new distaste of killing.
    - Gobwin Knob starts expanding again. By the end of the updates they've reclaimed 11 cities, thanks to Ansom's good tactics, the Decrypting power of the Arkenpliers to replenish losses and the occasional input from Parson.
    - Jetstone and Transylvito build a second grand coalition. However sides like Unaroyal have been lost, due to the Queen committing suicide learning her daughter was decrypted.
    - There seems to be an ideological war brewing: "Toolism" vs "Royalism".
    - King Don has taken Jillian and installed her as Queen of FAQ, basically now a vassal state of Transylvito. He's spending a lot of time and money getting FAQ set up, much to the concern of Ceaser.
    - Charlie's pride was wounded at Gobwin Knob. He's not out yet though. He seems to be preventing Gobwins, Gobwin Knob's natural allies, from popping, and he's also working secretly with Jillian on their own goal.

    That's pretty much everything important I can think of.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper


    Pixar Fanboy of the Hinjo Fanclub

    Quote Originally Posted by Hallavast View Post
    Ya know? I think I'd about kill Rowling if she wasn't holding me hostage with that last book of hers...

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Not in Trogland

    Default Re: What happened during the Summer Updates

    Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    I shall provide a succinct, spoiler heavy summary.

    - Gobwin Knob rebuilt using the gems found after uncroaking the volcano.
    - Stanley once again shows lack of common sense and replaces Parson with Ansom as Chief Warlord. However, Parson's fine with this due to his new distaste of killing.
    - Gobwin Knob starts expanding again. By the end of the updates they've reclaimed 11 cities, thanks to Ansom's good tactics, the Decrypting power of the Arkenpliers to replenish losses and the occasional input from Parson.
    - Jetstone and Transylvito build a second grand coalition. However sides like Unaroyal have been lost, due to the Queen committing suicide learning her daughter was decrypted.
    - There seems to be an ideological war brewing: "Toolism" vs "Royalism".
    - King Don has taken Jillian and installed her as Queen of FAQ, basically now a vassal state of Transylvito. He's spending a lot of time and money getting FAQ set up, much to the concern of Ceaser.
    - Charlie's pride was wounded at Gobwin Knob. He's not out yet though. He seems to be preventing Gobwins, Gobwin Knob's natural allies, from popping, and he's also working secretly with Jillian on their own goal.

    That's pretty much everything important I can think of.

    Thank you.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    slayerx's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What happened during the Summer Updates

    Honestly, you really should read them... they're really good

    Few things i'll add


    - Ceaser is the current heir of Tyansivito, however Don King has started popping a new royal heir
    - Jillian is popping an heir
    - Jillian has acquired Giants as FAQs new natural allies
    - Jillian and Vinnie seem like they've become something of an item (make up nookie )
    - Ansom is in love with Wanda... she treats him like he's nothing
    - Ansom has two brothers; the younger is the new chief warlord of jetstone
    - Ansom is planning to make a direct strike on Jetstone's capitol
    - Ansom has getting annoyed by Parson; views him as something like a heretic... Wanda double checks all of Ansom's plans with Parson
    - GK has been doing well to replenish their dwagons bringing like 1-2 dwagons per turn
    - Parson devised a relay system using the dwagons that allows easy transport all over GK for those who can ride a mount
    - Parson can't seem to leave gobwinknob; he can't ride dwagons either
    - Parson got a load of info on Charlie from the archons (the two of them still communicate using the books)
    - The royals have been alienating Charlie as they believe he is working with Stanely; Jillian is the exception to this (vinnie doesn't know)
    -While Gk lost the gowbins, they do still have hobgobwins
    -The royals know about the decrypted

    Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    - Stanley once again shows lack of common sense and replaces Parson with Ansom as Chief Warlord. However, Parson's fine with this due to his new distaste of killing.
    I disagree...
    one of the major reasons to have a chief warlord is because the cheif warlord gives a larger bonus muliplier than that of a normal warlord... as such, a level 10 Chief Warlord out on the front lines is FAR more beneficial than a level 2 chief warlord who is stuck in the garrison

    When it comes down to it, Parson is there for his brains, and he doesn't need to be chief warlord to plan and strategize
    Last edited by slayerx; 2009-10-30 at 12:49 PM.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Kaed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    McKinney, TX
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What happened during the Summer Updates

    Quote Originally Posted by slayerx View Post
    I disagree...
    one of the major reasons to have a chief warlord is because the cheif warlord gives a larger bonus muliplier than that of a normal warlord... as such, a level 10 Chief Warlord out on the front lines is FAR more beneficial than a level 2 chief warlord who is stuck in the garrison

    When it comes down to it, Parson is there for his brains, and he doesn't need to be chief warlord to plan and strategize

    Yes, but you assume that Stanley actually used that logic. I can tell you right now based on what we have seen of Stanley why he picked Ansom as a Chief Warlord.

    1) Ansom is handsome and dashing. Stanley had a penchant for promoting units to warlords that were handsome rather than smart. Parson is a giant fat potato man (slimmer potato man now, but still).

    2) He's petty and since Ansom was his greatest enemy he thinks it would be great to make him his strongest ally now.

    3) Parson's lack of understanding in common battle knowledge annoys Stanley and despite the obvious superiority of his mind, and he would rather have a Warlord who he knows is experienced rather than one who basically wings it - never mind that the latter warlord beat the entire RCC at once with out of the box thinking that Ansom is very unlikely to display.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    slayerx's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What happened during the Summer Updates

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaed View Post
    1) Ansom is handsome and dashing. Stanley had a penchant for promoting units to warlords that were handsome rather than smart. Parson is a giant fat potato man (slimmer potato man now, but still).

    2) He's petty and since Ansom was his greatest enemy he thinks it would be great to make him his strongest ally now.

    3) Parson's lack of understanding in common battle knowledge annoys Stanley and despite the obvious superiority of his mind, and he would rather have a Warlord who he knows is experienced rather than one who basically wings it - never mind that the latter warlord beat the entire RCC at once with out of the box thinking that Ansom is very unlikely to display.
    1) I think Ansom's looks are just a bonus... i think it's wrong to assume that Stanely didn't learn anything from nearly loosing... when it comes down to it, Ansom is still much higher level, more experienced and one of the greatest military minds in erfworld; overall a fine choice for a warlord

    2) I don't think it's pettiness; if it was i would imagine that he would take every chance to gloat about his victory over the royals and humiliate Ansom at each turn... instead the Tool has been giving Ansom high amount of respect and regards him as one of his most valuable units

    3) Those are actually valid reasons to choose Ansom. Things ultimately turned out well for Parson, but his lacking knowledge on erfworld mechanics had also lead to him making some mistakes... Furtharmore there is the concept of psychological warfare, which requires knowing how your opponents think, and no one knows jetstone and the other royals better than Ansom; Parson doesn't know the first thing about any other side (except charlie now)... Really Parson's lack of experience in erfworld battles becomes reason for why he's better being off the front lines for the time being...

    And AGAIN, he doesn't need to be chief warlord to plan and strategize... Hell Ansom won't make a move without Wanda's approval, and she double checks all of Ansom's plans with Parson
    Last edited by slayerx; 2009-10-31 at 07:34 AM.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Shhalahr Windrider's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    By a River
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What happened during the Summer Updates

    Quote Originally Posted by slayerx View Post
    Really Parson's lack of experience in erfworld battles becomes reason for why he's better being off the front lines for the time being...
    Of course, until the frontlines return to Gobwin Knob's doorstep, Parson doesn't have much choice.
    The Future just ainít what it used to be.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: What happened during the Summer Updates

    You forget the very important philosophical musings on whether Parson's "broadsword" would "cleave an Erfworld woman in twain" and similar euphamisims. Maggie suggests he get to know some of the Archons better. Parson has moral/ethical dilemma as to whether he could ever date a unit under his command.

    Also, Parson names all the Gobwin Knob streets after junk food and Simpson's characters.

    The summer updates really were a fun read, well worth the (miniscule) effort.
    Last edited by Keshay; 2009-11-13 at 10:42 AM.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfClericGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2007

    Default Re: What happened during the Summer Updates

    Quote Originally Posted by Keshay View Post
    Parson has moral/ethical dilemma as to whether he could ever date a unit under his command.
    Especially since, if he gave a command, they couldn't say no.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What happened during the Summer Updates

    I think one of the most important development is that Charlie seems to know how to turn Natural Allies against a side that they are allied to, which he seems to have pulled off for FAQ and the giants. Couple that with Charlie's involvement with missing gobwins...
    -In contempt of rules-lawyer court.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Shhalahr Windrider's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    By a River
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What happened during the Summer Updates

    Quote Originally Posted by EldritchExMachina View Post
    I think one of the most important development is that Charlie seems to know how to turn Natural Allies against a side that they are allied to, which he seems to have pulled off for FAQ and the giants. Couple that with Charlie's involvement with missing gobwins...
    Mind you that the giants are also natural allies with FAQ. So it wasn't just turning allies against each other but also giving them a new side that they are already linked to. The same trick probably doesn't work without a side that gobwins would otherwise ally with.
    The Future just ainít what it used to be.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    PirateMonk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Missionary Pirate Ship

    Default Re: What happened during the Summer Updates

    Also, Charlie inadvertently taught Parson that his Mathamancy bracer can predict the future.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Belkar the Gourmet Chef" avatar by Sampi.



    Do you surmise it's wise to have laser beams emitting from your eyes?
    -They Might Be Giants, "The Lady and the Tiger"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •