New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Campaign Help

1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Campaign Help

I am startin a campaign soon and i need some help with some of the concepts.

First are life paths: A life path is a representation of a persons background, destiny, and talents brought into a cohesive whole. Each life path grants a number of benefits as they increase in power gaining benefits at 1st level, 5th level and every five levels thereafter. All characters begin play with a single life path.

Second are talents, something gained every even-numbered level, which represents some additional training beside the normal class training. their are several caegories (expert, warrior, magic, divinity, psionic, incarnum, etc.) and are very useful for creating either specialized or varied characters.

this is a high power campaign (at least two challenge ratings higher than normal) and these should reflect an inborn talent (life paths) or unusual training (talents). These should mostly be extraordinary or supernatural in nature.

An example for life paths is presented below

Spoiler
    Show

Path of the Mind

Tapping a natural psionic talent, a follower of this path gains many psionic abilities.

{table=head]Level|Path Benefits

1st|Hidden Talent

5th|Practiced Talent

10th|Esper

15th|Expanded Talent

20th|Natural Psychic[/table]

Hidden Talent: You gain Hidden Talent as a bonus feat. Your effective manifester level for this power is equal to half your character level (rounded down) or your actual manifester level, whichever is higher. In addition, you gain bonus power points for a high Cha score.

Practiced Talent: You gain an additional 1st level power and one 2nd level power of your choice and gain power points equal to twice your Cha mod.

Esper: You gain an additional 2nd level power and one 3rd level power of your choice and increase your manifester level with powers you gained from this path to equal 3/4 your character level.

Expanded Talent: You gain an additional 3rd level power and one 4th level power of your choice and gain power points equal to your character level.

Natural Psychic: You gain an additional 4th level power of your choice and increase your manifester level to equal your character level. In addition, you gain power points equal to twice your Cha score.

if this one is to powerful please make suggestions, dont just say "its overpowered, fix it" give advice on how to fix it.
    Last edited by EdroGrimshell; 2009-10-30 at 12:08 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Campaign Help

Please comment, any ideas would be helpful

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

3.5 or 4e?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

He mentioned Incarnum. I think that makes it 3.5E.
    My latest homebrew: Majokko base class and Spellcaster Dilettante feats for D&D 3.5 and Races as Classes for PTU.

Currently Playing
    Raiatari Eikibe - Ghostfoot's RHOD Righteous Resistance

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    He mentioned Incarnum. I think that makes it 3.5E.
    Yeah, sorry for not clarifying in the original post. this is meant for a high power campaign with a "people who are destined for greatness" theme.

6. - Top - End - #6

i added an example for one, Path of the Mind is meant for a character who wants to be a born esper or have a stronger connection to psionics than others. One of our players is playing an elan with the path of the mind and is playing a player version of the expert NPC class (special abilities like the rogue and free skill tricks added in).
    Last edited by EdroGrimshell; 2009-10-30 at 12:17 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

This ounds like a decent idea. as a talent for spellcasters, if you have complete arcane chack out the extra slot and extra spell feats, they could work if toned down slightly.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

8. - Top - End - #8

That is a good idea, maybe something for unusual magical training could be one (healing spells for a sorcerer for example). I'll start working more in depth this weekend