New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Pyrian's Pyrotechnic Pyre of Pyrrhic Pyros with Pyrotic Pythics Random Banter #13

Please stand by for nostalgia and ranting.
    I have been going through pasty withdrawals.
    It's been exactly thirty days since I arrived at uni and during that time I've not had one single pasty because
    1) the ones in the supermarket are made of puff pastry. What. The. Smeg. A puff pastry pasty (pleasing plosives, please take note)? No thanks.
    2) The real ones here were far too expensive.

But for the last two days I've only been able to smell pasties. Just pasties. Perhaps it's the migraine talking, perhaps my 'homefoodsickness' just threw a massive tantrum, but I couldn't resist.
    So to celebrate my return to wellbeing I bought a pasty and a few small treats.
    It was a 'medium' that would be classified as a small back home; there was too much pepper and a bit too dry.
    But by the Gods Below, ABove and Sideways it tasted of home! The flaking of the pastry, just thick enough to not go soggy from the juice; proper chunks of beef - why do upcountry pasties have minced beef?! - actual vegetables and no carrots!
    I savoured every moment and even halted eating for a good ten minutes just to relish the taste in my mouth. All I needed to complete the pretence of being home was the smell and sound of the sea and those annoyingly raucous seagulls.
    It was marvellous.

Sure, I want another one; but I can wait 'til I get home for the next one. I swear, I'm just going to gorge on pasties when I get home.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

2. - Top - End - #182
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Pyrian's Pyrotechnic Pyre of Pyrrhic Pyros with Pyrotic Pythics Random Banter #13

...So a pasty is a sort of awesome type of sandwich? o.o; *Has never heard that expression before*
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    ...How does one cuddle mercilessly?
    Curse your Introbulosity!

3. - Top - End - #183

Quote Originally Posted by Introbulus View Post
    ...So a pasty is a sort of awesome type of sandwich? o.o; *Has never heard that expression before*
    Oh no, no, no, you silly American. 'Tis a great shame you haven't been introduced to the wonder of pasties. They're a literal meal in one small pastry casing. Fo the record it's pronounced 'pa - stee'; not a typo, not a 'pay - stee', but a 'pa - stee'.

I can make my own from scratch too, or I would if I had an oven, but the college doesn't seem inclined to provide us with one right now.
    I mean really, all I need is half a pound of skirt or . . . that other cut of beef which has inconveniently slipped my mind; a couple of potatoes, a turnip, half an onion and some pastry and I could make five or six pasties. Large ones at that.
    I want an oven.

EDIT: ANd it's a Cornish dish. From Cornwall.
    Last edited by CurlyKitGirl; 2009-11-05 at 10:40 AM.

Spoiler
    Show
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

4. - Top - End - #184
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    Please stand by for nostalgia and ranting.
    I have been going through pasty withdrawals.
    It's been exactly thirty days since I arrived at uni and during that time I've not had one single pasty because
    1) the ones in the supermarket are made of puff pastry. What. The. Smeg. A puff pastry pasty (pleasing plosives, please take note)? No thanks.
    2) The real ones here were far too expensive.

But for the last two days I've only been able to smell pasties. Just pasties. Perhaps it's the migraine talking, perhaps my 'homefoodsickness' just threw a massive tantrum, but I couldn't resist.
    So to celebrate my return to wellbeing I bought a pasty and a few small treats.
    It was a 'medium' that would be classified as a small back home; there was too much pepper and a bit too dry.
    But by the Gods Below, ABove and Sideways it tasted of home! The flaking of the pastry, just thick enough to not go soggy from the juice; proper chunks of beef - why do upcountry pasties have minced beef?! - actual vegetables and no carrots!
    I savoured every moment and even halted eating for a good ten minutes just to relish the taste in my mouth. All I needed to complete the pretence of being home was the smell and sound of the sea and those annoyingly raucous seagulls.
    It was marvellous.

Sure, I want another one; but I can wait 'til I get home for the next one. I swear, I'm just going to gorge on pasties when I get home.
    Pasties = THE S***. Back at home, there's a place downtown that makes them to your order and then you can just take 'em home and bake 'em in your own oven. Next time I go home, I'm having my mom get some.

-Slayer Draco Doll by Recaiden

5. - Top - End - #185

Quote Originally Posted by Slayer Draco View Post
    Pasties = THE S***. Back at home, there's a place downtown that makes them to your order and then you can just take 'em home and bake 'em in your own oven. Next time I go home, I'm having my mom get some.

I know! But are they properly done? With the crimp around the edge and everything? Are there carrots?
    Carrots should never appear in pasties, dastardly vegetables; almost as bad as peas in my opinion.
    Or do you do the variants on the traditional pasty and go for cheese and onion; steak and stilton and so on?

I'm going to see if Best Friend'll bring me up some when she comes visiting.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

Mmm... Sandwich... *walks off to make a sandwich*

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

Shhshhhshh!

All this talk of food is bringing back my pie craving. I really want a meat pie. It doesn't help that I aten't eaten anything today, I think. Just 2 more hours...

8. - Top - End - #188

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    Mmm... Sandwich... *walks off to make a sandwich*
    Don't you worry SansNom, as soon as you hit university you'll be living off'f sarnies, soup and pot noodles.

. . .

Unless you live at home. Which is what you're planning.

Curses.

Shhshhhshh!

All this talk of food is bringing back my pie craving. I really want a meat pie. It doesn't help that I aten't eaten anything today, I think. Just 2 more hours...
    Speaking of meat pies . . . there are now two in my fridge. Seriously, Sainsbury's is doing a two for a pound deal on their meat pies. Sure, they're not going to be hot, but a meat pie is a meat pie.
    I also join with you on the one meal so far today thing, a pasty is totally worth the mini - fast for.
    Just go out and buy one. Indulge for once in yourdelcious meatily pastrified craving for goodness. Think about it, you could even buy a hot one.

Ooh! Which reminds me. I saw a fireater today; he was also a fire juggler and a fire acrobat who held flaming batons in his mouth while doing a walking handstand over two volunteers lying on the ground protecting their . . . gentleman vegetables.
    Pretty nifty.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

9. - Top - End - #189
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Introbulus View Post
    Nah, a proper Cornish Pastie is what pies dream of being reincarnated as if they live a good and virtuous life this time around. It is like a full roast dinner, but wrapped in delicious, stodgy pastry. Agh! And now I crave a Cornish...

Cornish pasty on Bonfire Night - could I get any more English, except maybe by eating suet pudding and drinking enough port to contract gout?

Man cannot live by bread alone; but on pasties, no problem!
    Last edited by bosssmiley; 2009-11-05 at 10:55 AM.

10. - Top - End - #190

Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    Nah, a proper Cornish Pastie is what pies dream of being reincarnated as if they live a good and virtuous life this time around. It is like a full roast dinner, but wrapped in delicious, stodgy pastry. Agh! And now I crave a Cornish...

Cornish pasty on Bonfire Night - could I get any more English, except maybe by eating suet pudding and drinking enough port to contract gout?

Man cannot live by bread alone; but on pasties, no problem!
    Quoted for the truth.

And you really can live entirely on pasties, especially if you hand make your own so you put a little pastry divider down the middle and have half savoury and half sweet. Then it's a main and a sweet.

Also, just come back from checking my pigeonhole. Someone pidged me a weetabix. Sweet.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

I don't believe I've ever had a pasty, but they sound awesome. And I've had similar things. And I love pastry.

Unfortunately, what with not living in England and all, I imagine they'll be a little difficult to aqcuire around here.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

Pasties are Cornish, arn't they?
    So you can easily find them in other countries.
    I know of a place down on the Cape that makes awesome Pasties, though I haven't had one in years.
    Idiots give me indigestion.
    Don't give me indigestion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Wadledo, you dislike EVERYONE. Therefore, you don't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Maybe this is the only true fix for spellcasting, making people scared of using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonprime View Post
    There's a concept called mercy. Are you familiar with it?
    Thank ya Dr.Bath for your avataring skills.

13. - Top - End - #193

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    Unfortunately, what with not living in England and all, I imagine they'll be a little difficult to aqcuire around here.
    It's not unsafe to assume that recipies could be obtained and said pasties could be made at home...

@v Kinda what I thought. I also had intentions of googling a recipe for 'steamed pork buns' after a wonderful interview I heard on NPR the other day...
    Last edited by smellie_hippie; 2009-11-05 at 11:32 AM.
    Unofficial Brew-Meister in the playground. Just ask!

14. - Top - End - #194

Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    It's not unsafe to assume that recipies could be obtained and said pasties could be made at home...
    Google 'Cornish pasty recipes'. Simple.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

That assumes that I'm not a lazy sonuva and might actually cook something >.>

Clearly the only solution is to go visit England at some point in time. Or I could dig around here, I suppose. We may have somewhere that sells them. God knows we've got enough specialty restaurants in this city...

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ettin in the Playground

Be glad your addiction is so simple.
    Pringles are expensive, and Paprika are impossible to find.
    If I was eating, I'd never afford to keep well stocked!
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

17. - Top - End - #197
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Clearly the only solution is to go visit England at some point in time.
    Hey, now, let's not be hasty and do something we regret.
    Spoiler
    Show
    <-I won this from Dr. Bath.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rutskarn View Post
    Hey, now, let's not be hasty and do something we regret.
    Why would I ever regret visiting England? The cloudy days, thick fog, perpetual rain...

Sounds like my kind of place!

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

19. - Top - End - #199

That assumes that I'm not a lazy sonuva and might actually cook something >.>
    Haven't made them in a year or so, but the hardest thing is doing the pastry, but it's only shortcrust, so you could just buy it. Then you dice up the veg, put all the fillings on the pastry, fold and crimp into shape and cook for about forty minutes on Gask Mark 7 I think.

Clearly the only solution is to go visit England at some point in time. Or I could dig around here, I suppose. We may have somewhere that sells them. God knows we've got enough specialty restaurants in this city...
    Yus. COme to Britland. We also have jam and cream scones. And British things! ANd old things! And . . . and things.

@Jibbers: that so - called medium pasty cost my £2.80! At home a proper sized medium pasty would cost me £2.05. My addiction is just as expensive as yours, I just keep mine under wraps better.
    Hopefully.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

20. - Top - End - #200
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

mmm....why aren't things like that common here? sounds delightful. I mean, we have chicken pot pie, which sounds rather similar, but yeah.

I was outzombied by the baby!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Amotis View Post
    Alarra ate all my awesome and now she's always acknowledged as awe-inspiring awesome. Alliteration aside, Alarra is awesome.

21. - Top - End - #201

Quick topic change!

I'm engaged!

Back to what we were talking about: they're really aren't that har to make. But now I also want an apple and blackberry turnover.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

Quick topic change!

I'm engaged!
    What, really?

and yes. Visiting England. When I have time and money. I want to see all the castles, and the Tower of London, and all the other assorted historical goodies you folks have over there.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Although I haven’t finished it yet, I would like to declare Interview With the Vampire the most awesome romantic vampire novel ever written.
    Though I still haven’t worked out whether the homosexual tendencies between the two vampires are there on purpose, or if Anne Rice was just feeling kinky at the time and did it subconsciously.
    Last edited by Nameless; 2009-11-05 at 12:14 PM.

24. - Top - End - #204

Although I haven’t finished it yet, I would like to declare Interview With the Vampire the most awesome romantic vampire novel ever written.
    Though I still haven’t worked out whether the homosexual tendencies between the two vampires are there on purpose, or if Anne Rice was just feeling kinky at the time and did it subconsciously.
    *snicker* That book/movie makes me giggle. Especially the movie. It's probably the only movie where I don't dislike the fact that Tom Cruise is in it.

-Slayer Draco Doll by Recaiden

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, they're intentional, without question, but she's also universally kinky with her romances. In that half brushed-under-the-carpet romantic way. Read the Vampire Armand.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ettin in the Playground

@Jibbers: that so - called medium pasty cost my £2.80! At home a proper sized medium pasty would cost me £2.05. My addiction is just as expensive as yours, I just keep mine under wraps better.
    Hopefully.
    Wait, really?
    Not being a consumer of pasties I was not aware.
    I consume pringles and cookies and the occasional muffin mostly.

...I really need to start eating properly I lost 2 stone last month.
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Slayer Draco View Post
    *snicker* That book/movie makes me giggle. Especially the movie. It's probably the only movie where I don't dislike the fact that Tom Cruise is in it.
    That’s because it’s the only film where Tom Cruse isn’t Tom Cruse.

Tom is a lot like Arnold Schwarzenegger or Vin Diesel. They’re all technically good actors, but it doesn’t matter what film they star in or who they’re supposed to be, they’re always Arnold Schwarzenegger or Vin Diesel. Whenever you talk about The Fast and the Furious, you never refer to him by his character name, you just call him “Vin Diesel”.

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Oh, they're intentional, without question, but she's also universally kinky with her romances. In that half brushed-under-the-carpet romantic way. Read the Vampire Armand.
    Oh, I will.

... Oh wait, I still have Queen of the Damned to get through.

28. - Top - End - #208

What, really?
    Yep. College parenting system. I'm pretty happy with him too as I was thinking of proposing to him back. He just asked first.
    What I'm really looking forward too is when mum or dad call and I slip it into the conversation casually.
    "Yeah, my fiance loved that."
    " . . . "
    "Mum?"
    " . . . "
    "Mum? You there?"
    "[censored]!!"

And yes. Visiting England. When I have time and money. I want to see all the castles, and the Tower of London, and all the other assorted historical goodies you folks have over there.
    Ah Londinium, all old and castly. I highly recommend a ghost tour. Anywhere. Trust me, every town has a ghost tour, or it seems like it. London has dozen. Do the Whitechapel one.
    Jack the Ripper abounds

@Jibbers: Yup. Expensive, wholesome foods. Must be rare up here, there's about six pasty/bakery shops in my home's high street. I've only seen one in Oxford.
    Also: eat. Eating is good for you. Although I've lost a bit of weight too, probably every student has.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

Yep. College parenting system. I'm pretty happy with him too as I was thinking of proposing to him back. He just asked first.
    What I'm really looking forward too is when mum or dad call and I slip it into the conversation casually.
    "Yeah, my fiance loved that."
    " . . . "
    "Mum?"
    " . . . "
    "Mum? You there?"
    "[censored]!!"
    Huh. That's sudden, and surprises me a little. Seems like a whole bunch of people I know are getting married these days, and every time it makes me go 'wait, what? Aren't they like, my age? daaaaaamn'. Ah well. Tell him from me that he's a lucky sod

Ah Londinium, all old and castly. I highly recommend a ghost tour. Anywhere. Trust me, every town has a ghost tour, or it seems like it. London has dozen. Do the Whitechapel one.
    Jack the Ripper abounds
    I'll keep that in mind. I think I'd like a ghost tour. Or several.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

30. - Top - End - #210

Huh. That's sudden, and surprises me a little. Seems like a whole bunch of people I know are getting married these days, and every time it makes me go 'wait, what? Aren't they like, my age? daaaaaamn'. Ah well. Tell him from me that he's a lucky sod
    Don't worry Dessy, I'm not really going to be married. 'Tis just pretend, but I feel the same way when I hear my old schoolfriends are pregnant/fathers. Freaky stuff.

I'll keep that in mind. I think I'd like a ghost tour. Or several.
    Tower of London's pretty much a given, but I, or probably a lot of native Londoners, could give the same tour for free.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!