New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Pirates vs. Ninjas

Yeesh. I still haven't done the Burlgar's backstory? I'm a slacker. Oh well. Hopefully, I can get some of that done this week and even work on new abilities.

YAY!

2. - Top - End - #272
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Well, since a new beta campaign has started, I'll go ahead and summarize the characters here before events make it to where we need a full post for each one.

Squidly Eckbear Jr. - The son of the Eckbear referenced under the description for It Be a Trap. Wound up becoming an Equinja with other odd tricks, like enough feykinja abilities to convince a decent portion of the party that he's pirate. This character is played by the same person that brought us Frederick Forge and Indigar VanSplosion.

Speed Demon - A dead equinja who escaped the afterlife due to just being that damned fast. (And the gate to Hell not being that well guarded at the time. Possibly due to the Party of Forge doing their little assault on the place.) Name when he was alive was apparently 'Runs with Scissors'. He is a total jerk and has earned every bit of punishment he gets. Played by Makiru, the one who brought us Cannonball Carl and One With Nothing.

The Shadow - An organization (not that we know this ICly) of individuals that all go under one name. The main policy is that the members are disguised so that no one should know that the Shadow is more than one person. Mostly just a character that exists so that Dairun can try out different builds. Dairun was the first campaign's DM, and has opted to be a player this time around.

Isamu: The Bandit-Killing Parent, aka. The Red Retribution - A wanderer who was negative three weeks from retirement when he got pulled into the party, mostly to keep the Equinja members of the team from doing things like ramming Galleons through towns. The most sane party member, and one of the two wanderers in the group. This guy is played by the same person that brought us Wildcard Will and Jimmy B. in the first campaign.

Death From Above - Pole-Arm weapon master inspired by Cain from Final Fantasy IV. The second-most sane party member most of the time, depending on who the Shadow is during that session. Frequently proof of how dangerous Naginata Whirlwind can get, vulnerable to mind control, and carries a generations-old grudge against Burglars. I am this one's player, and I played Overkillin' Oliver and Raptor Strike in the first campaign.

Kiroth, the player for Tallahassee, Manny, and Shanty, is the DM for this second campaign.
    Last edited by Observer; 2011-02-25 at 09:54 PM.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Halfling in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The other day I reached enlightment while thinking about the whole pirate vs ninja war... and pirates win. Why? there is no such thing about ninja metal but there is awesome pirate metal xD

4. - Top - End - #274

Quote Originally Posted by snowboule View Post
    The other day I reached enlightment while thinking about the whole pirate vs ninja war... and pirates win. Why? there is no such thing about ninja metal but there is awesome pirate metal xD
    Cough Cough.

But seriously... There's actually quite a few Ninja-like characters in pop-culture that are related with Rock and Roll. And honestly, why wouldn't they be? Pirates, in the system, are seen as spirited and brute force, while the ninja philosophy is more methodical and precise. Playing an instrument quickly is something that needs brutal precision and practice. Thus, the Rokinjas. That and being based on a few interesting martial arts movie scenes.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by snowboule View Post
    Remember the issue with anything related to ninjas: By the time you know that it is there, it is already too late. Ninja music is lethal.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Observer View Post
    Remember the issue with anything related to ninjas: By the time you know that it is there, it is already too late. Ninja music is lethal.
    But don't forget pirates have all the dance moves. All of them.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

It took me most of last night and a while today to read through it all, but this is certainly an inventive concept.

Finally forced me into getting one of these.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

You ever going to do that "I am a walking GPS" pirate trick that perhaps has "Sail the Seas" as a pre-requisite? I thought it should be unfactioned and low-ish level (2 or 3) since it just doesn't seem like the sort of thing that would be that useful in this game genre. You thought it should be a high level Charrasmatic Lord trick.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

This may be relevant to your interests (just the one picture, probably not anything else). http://dexlives.comicgenesis.com/d/20030428.html
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

Umm... I'm having trouble understanding the ability rules. Help?

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Penguinator View Post
    Umm... I'm having trouble understanding the ability rules. Help?
    Which specific rules? And what do you mean by "ability"? Do you mean the powers, or do you mean (Precision, Body, Agility, Will)?
    Proud beta-tester for Pirates vs. Ninjas

Contributions
    Spoiler
    Show
    Don't have enough templates in your life? Let's Read the Book of Templates: Deluxe Edition!(Abandoned)

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

In the employer/BBEG's mansion.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dairun Cates View Post

Creation and Advancing the Character:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ability costs are based on which philosophy your character prescribes to.

Pirates and Ninjas can learn abilities from their side and Wanderer abilities at a cost of 2 experience points per level. Add 1 point per level to opposing factions (ie. Ninjas learn level 2 pirate skills at 6 points).

Oh, sorry, I guess that was a bit vague. Yes, I mean abilities, which are labeled "abilities," I understand attributes.

This is what I meant. From what I'm thinking, a Ninja could get a level 1 Wanderer ability for 3 experience points (and a reason for it). Is that right?

Other thing, for your actual class's skills, does an ability cost 2xlevel, or 1xlevel? I couldn't tell.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

For Pirates or Ninjas, Wanderer skills cost the exact same amount as normal skills.

Skills that aren't cross-faction (pirate<>ninja) cost 2xlevel.

Cross-faction skills cost 3xlevel.

Wanderers are a special case. Cross-class skills for them (pirate or ninja) cost 2.5xlevel, rounded down.
    Proud beta-tester for Pirates vs. Ninjas

Contributions
    Spoiler
    Show
    Don't have enough templates in your life? Let's Read the Book of Templates: Deluxe Edition!(Abandoned)

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

In the employer/BBEG's mansion.

14. - Top - End - #284

Put even more bluntly. Here's a quick reference.

Abilities by cost (levels are in consecutive order)

Ninjas getting Ninja skills: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10
    Ninjas getting Wanderer Skills: 2, 4, 6, 8
    Ninjas getting Pirate skills: 3, 6, 9, 12

Pirates getting Pirate skills: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10
    Pirates getting Wanderer Skills: 2, 4, 6, 8
    Pirates getting Ninja skills: 3, 6, 9, 12

Wanderers getting Ninja skills: 2, 5, 7, 10
    Wanderers getting Wanderer Skills: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10
    Wanderers getting Pirate skills: 2, 5, 7, 10

Basically, multiply regular cost by 1.25 for any non-wanderer skill on a wanderer, and multiply by 1.5 on ninjas or pirates for the opposite faction (pirates or ninjas). Round down when applicable.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dairun Cates View Post
    Put even more bluntly. Here's a quick reference.

Abilities by cost (levels are in consecutive order)

Ninjas getting Ninja skills: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10
    Ninjas getting Wanderer Skills: 2, 4, 6, 8
    Ninjas getting Pirate skills: 3, 6, 9, 12

Pirates getting Pirate skills: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10
    Pirates getting Wanderer Skills: 2, 4, 6, 8
    Pirates getting Ninja skills: 3, 6, 9, 12

Wanderers getting Ninja skills: 2, 5, 7, 10
    Wanderers getting Wanderer Skills: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10
    Wanderers getting Pirate skills: 2, 5, 7, 10

Basically, multiply regular cost by 1.25 for any non-wanderer skill on a wanderer, and multiply by 1.5 on ninjas or pirates for the opposite faction (pirates or ninjas). Round down when applicable.
    Ah, I see. Thanks.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.