Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Pirates vs. Ninjas

Ninja Bikers!

2. - Top - End - #212
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Overall, some nice stuff. Can't wait to see the Equinja level 5's and the rest of their abilities, along with their fluff.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Two quick questions:

1. What all is involved in making a ride check and what situations would it be needed, besides using attacks?

2. Break It In seems confusingly worded. Does the initial "taming" check have to be body vs. body or agility vs. agility, or can it potentially be body vs. agility? All the power says is that the check is whichever is higher for both sides, which makes me think it has to be X vs. X / Y vs. Y and if you have a bad agility and the monster doesn't, too bad for you.
    Proud beta-tester for Pirates vs. Ninjas

Contributions
    Spoiler
    Show
    Don't have enough templates in your life? Let's Read the Book of Templates: Deluxe Edition!(Abandoned)

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

In the employer/BBEG's mansion.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

wow, to be honest, at first I didn't think I would like your story that much, but really like it a lot. Very clever choice of name for the legendary ninja.

I'm still enthralled by the mystery of the Tanaka, I might use it in my campaign.
    ;)

5. - Top - End - #215
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Late post is late, but we haven't really used the plot regarding the Takara much in the beta test. We only recently really got involved in the mystery of the pirate-ninja war, but I won't go into any further details in that regard.

Also, new Weapon Master power if you haven't seen it yet, under Lv. 3.

Contributions
    Spoiler
    Show
    Don't have enough templates in your life? Let's Read the Book of Templates: Deluxe Edition!(Abandoned)

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Bugbear in the Playground

Also, THIS is the reason updates have been slow recently (and yes, DEAR GOD, I will be updating that theme).

Also, we have a horribly fictional self-promotional viral twitter account now. CaptainPegnose got a follower in the first 5 minutes of joining and then promptly lost it with his swarthy charm.

Edit: Blog Posts start tomorrow.

Double Edit: First Article is up. Time to work on the wiki.

7. - Top - End - #217

Here's another hero for you that was posted on the blog as part of Well-Loved Hero Wednesday. There's a second super secret character on the blog for people that want to see more of this.

After seeing the movie, I just HAD to build him. There may be some tweaking that needs to be done, but I'm fairly satisfied with it.

I'll get back on the Equinja later in the week.

Scott Pilgrim

Side: Ninja
    Faction: Evadinja

Life: 100
    Reaction: 7

Body 2
    Agility 8
    Precision 4
    Will 6

Abilities:
    Level 1:

Quickstep (Cost 1): Move 1 square for free when an attack misses you.
    Winding Arc Punch (Cost 1): Do your agility score or 5 damage (whichever is higher).
    What Goes Around… (Cost 1): Gain +1 to hit target that hit you this turn.

Level 2:
    Agile Rejuvination (Passive): +2 Life when dodging an attack
    Rubber Sole (Cost 1): Double jump distance
    Ninjas Don’t Get Hit! (Cost 6): Gain +2 dodge for the turn.
    Counter Blow (Cost 3): Counter an attack against yourself for 15 damage.
    Read the Foe (Passive): Gain +2 against all rolls on a target if you can guess their next move, -1 to all rolls if not.

Level 3:
    The High G (Cost 7): -2 to opposed will. All opponents takes 10 damage that damage reduction cannot reduce.
    Second Wind (Passive): Gain back 20 life once a day.

Level 4:
    Infinite Reflexes (Cost 4): +6 dodges until end of turn but cannot do any other action.
    Storm of Counters (Cost 8): Counterattack all missed attacks at you for 10 damage for the turn.

Level 5:
    Ebb and Flow (Cost 15): Deal double the damage back of an attack that misses you.
    Pasison Rising (Passive): +20 Max Life
    Raging Digit (Cost 40): 20 damage + 5*Will of Rock element.

Flaws:
    Reckless (2)
    Focused Attribute (2): Will, Charisma

Description: Scott Pilgrim, despite all his Shonen antics and super-powered punches is actually a well-versed Evadinja. In his fights, he uses clever counter attacks and his speed to take down his opponents. Of course, when that fails, he pulls out the trickery with his decently high Will score. While he has trouble making friends, he’s quite the accomplished trickster and manipulator. His low body reflects his general lack of ability to take a hit, but his will and second wind always let’s him get up.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Giving the topic a well-intentioned bump. Equinja are on the way as I write this.

Contributions
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ettin in the Playground

To this I say: Vikings, eat pirates and s*** ninjas.
    I've started streaming again.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

loving this thread so far, even though i'm a pirate person myself.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by modpod77 View Post
    sure it's ninjas, pirates can't fly
    ninjas FTW!!!!
    I'm sure the airship Gunnars would disagree.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kiroth6 View Post
    I'm sure the airship Gunnars would disagree.
    Everything flies when Gunnars are around. The real issue there is whether the air time is intentional or not, and how much gunpowder got involved along the way. Any stories of ninjas flying are probably due to a gunnar shooting them with (or out of) something. Or a flying item that all sides can have access to.

That is, of course, assuming some jerk of an equinja isn't riding a yatagarasu or other flying ride (such as hi-jacked airships, or any of the other possible shenanigans-ridden gunnar inventions).

Also: Equinja. So beautiful. So situational.

13. - Top - End - #223

Equinja are done for now. I'll probably be doing a full ability overhaul after the Burglars (the next pirate faction). Overall, they're a nice middle point between the damaging Ninja factions and the skill-based Ninja factions. Their biggest advantage is probably their ability to move party members at super fast speeds.

Also, who doesn't love riding a teleporting death T-rex that can whip up tornadoes?

EDIT: By the way, for anyone new here, there's more setting stuff and a few extra abilities on the website and blog linked in my signature. Visit it if you enjoy what I've posted here.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Looking at Beat the Clock, I'm reminded of one time when you said that the Lvl.5 abilities cross faction had some scary combinations that didn't matter since the moves would never be used together. I imagine you know what I'm getting at: who wants to take >700 damage in one hit?

Otherwise, lovely. I'll probably be eating my words when they're kicking my butt in the next session, but, oh well.

Contributions
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #225
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm really loving the recent update on pvnrpg, especially the advise to GMs. Given our group's habit of destroying ships, its a good idea to warn gms about the risks. It's really nice to know what to look out and what to potentially house rule for in allowing your players over the top moves. It still allows GMs the option to be creative in undertaking the challenge of dealing with equinja. I wish I had this sort of advice when I was trying to gm Exalted.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Given our group's habit of destroying ships, its a good idea to warn gms about the risks.
    Hey, ship-destruction has saved us a few times. Including that time that a blind opponent fell into the hole caused by SOMEONE missing on a Rolling Thunder attempt.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Observer View Post
    Hey, ship-destruction has saved us a few times. Including that time that a blind opponent fell into the hole caused by SOMEONE missing on a Rolling Thunder attempt.
    I want to see you try performing an orbital drop into a cloud of darkness and actually hit the human sized target that is built around dodging. It isn't that easy, you know.

Contributions
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

Considering it is Talk Like A Pirate Day: what holidays will this world have?
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

19. - Top - End - #229

Quote Originally Posted by M-Bark View Post
    Considering it is Talk Like A Pirate Day: what holidays will this world have?
    Well, Captain Pegnose has mostly been complaining for most of the day, but I have done a few things here and there for Talk Like a Pirate Day.

As for holidays, they're mostly local festivals and celebrations for certain things. Ale festivals are a dime a dozen in Pirate towns. Everyone celebrates their home town's brew at some point. There's also frequent celebrations for major victories and the such. Ninja towns tend to celebrate a little less loudly and tend to have more ceremonies and days of remembrance. Holidays for respecting the Dead and such. Wanderer towns fits anywhere and everywhere inbetween.

As for specific national or worldwide holidays, I haven't considered it as much. It's a bit hard to coordinate those things in a world where the best method of delivering messages is a REALLY fast ninjas on a horse. Still, I wouldn't doubt that some haven't occurred somewhere.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dairun Cates View Post
    As for specific national or worldwide holidays, I haven't considered it as much. It's a bit hard to coordinate those things in a world where the best method of delivering messages is a REALLY fast ninjas on a horse. Still, I wouldn't doubt that some haven't occurred somewhere.
    If the ninja is faster than the horse, what then?

Do you get ninjas running across the backs of a line of galloping horses?
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

21. - Top - End - #231

Quote Originally Posted by Siosilvar View Post

Read the entry on Equinjas. Especially, Ninja Express (one of the abilities). Nuff' said.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Siosilvar View Post

The summary on the equinjas also says that the rider gives a bonus to the mount. So presumably the mount becomes faster due to the influence of the rider. As Dairun noted, Ninja Express (Level 2) will definitely allow you to run across the backs of a line of galloping horses.
    Last edited by Kiroth6; 2010-09-20 at 10:30 AM.

23. - Top - End - #233

The summary on the equinjas also says that the rider gives a bonus to the mount. So presumably the mount becomes faster due to the influence of the rider. As Dairun noted, Ninja Express (Level 2) will definitely allow you to run across the backs of a line of galloping horses.
    Actually, it's specifically Hit the Nitro that allows you to gain those abilities on a mount, but seeing as the majority of your attacks REQUIRE a mount, you'd be silly not to take it.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

Very good system. Perhaps you could write a sample adventure, or something for PvP play.
    Artifical intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerd View Post
    Strike me down and I'll clean the floor faster than you can imagine

25. - Top - End - #235

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    Very good system. Perhaps you could write a sample adventure, or something for PvP play.
    There's a few adventure seeds on the website that aren't listed here, but no full campaigns. I could definitely consider doing a full adventure at some point though.

Not sure what you want for a PvP thing though. Ie. I'm not sure what you'd want me to add other than you make a couple of teams of characters, get a GM for awesome point handing out (or start at a total if you want to forgo the GM), and pound on each other. It's pretty simple like that.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Yep. PvP is basically what you get from most encounters anyway. A good portion of the beta campaign's encounters were against groups of NPCs statted using the standard character rules listed here. Monsters add for some fun flavor to the world, but your biggest threat will probably end up being other pirates, wanderers, and ninja.

Also, beware of Equinja trolling. They're good at it.

27. - Top - End - #237

Quote Originally Posted by Observer View Post
    Yep. PvP is basically what you get from most encounters anyway. A good portion of the beta campaign's encounters were against groups of NPCs statted using the standard character rules listed here. Monsters add for some fun flavor to the world, but your biggest threat will probably end up being other pirates, wanderers, and ninja.

Also, beware of Equinja trolling. They're good at it.
    This is actually very true, but I could still put something up in the future to give GMs and players some basic team building tactics to avoid letting some characters and villains get steamrolled. There's actually somewhat of a fine art to it. Sending 1 villain against 6 players, even with the Kurosawa corollary, isn't going to go well most of the time unless you know how to counter a lot of tactics without negating them entirely.

Also, Well-Loved Hero Wednesday is up on pvnrpg.com (2 hours late, I know), but I decided to do Sokka from Avatar this week. Check it out if you like Avatar: The Last Airbender.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well if you want a sample forum adventure, he has one in the MSPaint forums.

I could also tell you some stories about some of our beta testing adventures but I'm not sure if that's what your asking for.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

"casts ressurect thread"

Best test adventure info would be good too.
    Last edited by Maxios; 2010-10-20 at 02:31 PM.
    Artifical intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerd View Post
    Strike me down and I'll clean the floor faster than you can imagine

30. - Top - End - #240

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    "casts ressurect thread"

Best test adventure info would be good too.
    I'm a bit confused. Do you just want stories from what's happened in the beta test or just some of the interesting balancing details and strategies that emerged from it?