The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Q: What is the LA Race/template that gives sorc spell casting d&d 3.5

Q: What is the LA Race/template that gives sorc spell casting d&d 3.5 and if possible what book is it from

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Q: What is the LA Race/template that gives sorc spell casting d&d 3.5

Rakashas from the MM pg. 212 or here

3. - Top - End - #3

Default Re: Q: What is the LA Race/template that gives sorc spell casting d&d 3.5

I believe Driders do as well.
    I used to do avatars on request, feel free to use them.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Sylph does. Also, dragons mostly do.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Limecat View Post
    Rakashas from the MM pg. 212 or here
    Whoa, Rakshasa sorcerers are awesome.
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by mikeejimbo View Post
    Whoa, Rakshasa sorcerers are awesome.
    Well, 7 racial HD, +7 LA. They're ve got awesome racial abilities, but the LA is a pain in the buttocks to any spellcaster. As foes, great. As PCs, not really.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by katans View Post
    Well, 7 racial HD, +7 LA. They're ve got awesome racial abilities, but the LA is a pain in the buttocks to any spellcaster. As foes, great. As PCs, not really.
    You must have missed this line:

EDIT: I made the same mistake mike did, and forgot to calculate ECL.
    Last edited by Optimystik; 2009-11-09 at 09:51 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, wait a minute. I keep forgetting that the LA and HD are, in a sense, separate.

So first of all, you have the Racial HD, which essentially means you're level 7 already. And then you have to consider the LA, which means you're more like 14.

So a 15th level ECL Rakshasa casts as an 8th level sorcerer.

*phew* That's not as powerful as I'd feared.
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

9. - Top - End - #9
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ozgun92 View Post
    Sylph does. Also, dragons mostly do.
    What's the ECL on a slyph?
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Savage Scrolls: A Savage Worlds/Elder Scrolls Conversion
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Avatar is from local user Mehangel
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mikeejimbo View Post
    Oh, wait a minute. I keep forgetting that the LA and HD are, in a sense, separate.

So first of all, you have the Racial HD, which essentially means you're level 7 already. And then you have to consider the LA, which means you're more like 14.

So a 15th level ECL Rakshasa casts as an 8th level sorcerer.

*phew* That's not as powerful as I'd feared.
    Ya, that much LA doesn't seem to make sense for a monster that's supposed to be a caster. A look at his abilities and default spell selection reveals that he's more about trickery. Plus his DR and SR are both crazy high, making him hard to attack. So working alone or with a party of rogues he could be a real pain in someone's backside. But a major caster he is not.

Driders get decent save DCs and some SR, which might make it at least doable for them. But their other abilities don't scale well.

I'll add aranea to the list. It has similar issues. It does have web 6/day (not the spell) that takes a full round action or an attack to break out of even if you can do it easily. It only makes the target entangled, but he also can't move from his square. Great for stopping escapes.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2009-11-09 at 10:10 AM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

A dragonwrought kobold arguably qualifies for the Loredrake Sovereign Archetype from Dragons of Eberron, granting them two levels of sorcerer casting. Additionally, all kobolds qualify for something called the "Greater Draconic Right of Passage" while gives them one level of sorcerer casting, in addition to whatever they might have. So, a Venerable Dragonwrought Loredrake Desert Kobold Sorcerer 6 can cast spells as a Sorcerer 9. This has the obvious benefit of offsetting sorcerer's delayed spell progression and working well with prestige classes that would otherwise cause you to lose spell levels. Additionally, this incurs no racial hit die or level adjustment.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by aethernox View Post
    A dragonwrought kobold arguably qualifies for the Loredrake Sovereign Archetype from Dragons of Eberron, granting them two levels of sorcerer casting. Additionally, all kobolds qualify for something called the "Greater Draconic Right of Passage" while gives them one level of sorcerer casting, in addition to whatever they might have. So, a Venerable Dragonwrought Loredrake Desert Kobold Sorcerer 6 can cast spells as a Sorcerer 9. This has the obvious benefit of offsetting sorcerer's delayed spell progression and working well with prestige classes that would otherwise cause you to lose spell levels. Additionally, this incurs no racial hit die or level adjustment.
    It does incur a 75% chance of having books hurled at your cranium though.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    It does incur a 75% chance of having books hurled at your cranium though.
    Some people are risk takers.

Personally? I hate kobolds.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by aethernox View Post
    Some people are risk takers.

Personally? I hate kobolds.
    I just wanted to be sure he was warned.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

white dragonspawn from dragonlance campaign setting give a level for +1LA

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Feh, silly kobolds getting all the fun.

I allow any sorcerer with the Draconic heritage feat to do both of the Draconic Rites of Passage, otherwise it's just dumb :P

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.
    My extended homebrew signature!

Follow me on Facebook!

17. - Top - End - #17

If 3rd party is allowed I suggest the Wyrd from "Bastards & Bloodlines" by Green Ronin. Its a fun one. +6 LA, 2 level Sorcer casting, huge Cha bonus.

If you can get past the fact your parents were an ogre magi and an elf.
    Alchemyprime's Omniblog
    Want some Pathfinder homebrewed? Hit me up!
    Pathfinder Warlock Conversion
    Ted Kord Avatar by KPenguin!
    My Gaming Channel!

Stuff about me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctemwolf View Post
    Thank you very much. you know, I think I like you, Prime. =)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogmantra View Post
    You, sir, have created the best Pokerman possible. Here is your medal. Everyone else can just give up.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Colossus in the Playground

The Gloura have +2 LA, and cast as a 7th level Bard for their 7 HD. You could go into Sublime Chord from there and be like a Sorcerer. +10 DEX, +6 CHA, +4 CON. CHA to saves and AC. Almost worth the 2 LA. 1/2 BAB, but they fly.
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 2009-11-09 at 01:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    The Gloura have +2 LA, and cast as a 7th level Bard for their 7 HD. You could go into Sublime Chord from there and be like a Sorcerer. +10 DEX, +6 CHA, +4 CON. CHA to saves and AC. Almost worth the 2 LA. 1/2 BAB, but they fly.
    That's actually pretty cool.

20. - Top - End - #20

PirateGuy

we are using arena rules but this is a gestalt game, unfortunatley most of these have too big an adjustment due to Hit die, should have made myself clearer i guess, i also do not have dragons of eberron although i have the races of the dragons book which has given me some good ideas